AS has been sending 739ERs into OGG.
Are there any payload restrictions?

USAirKid

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:58 am

32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Does anyone know why they haven’t flown the max to Alaska yet?

You ask this question about every week.

None of the AS guys have answered lol

Probably because they don’t know the answer or aren’t allowed to share it.

Continually asking isn’t going to change that.

Dash8Driver16

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:08 pm

The MAX has been to KTN JNU and I think ANC as part of the proving runs. Currently the MAX is staying close to home with SoCal and LAs to Sea/Pdx. As more get delivered expect to see the route network branch out. Also currently the ANC base is in the process or just completed their MAX sims.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:52 pm

USAirKid wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

You ask this question about every week.

None of the AS guys have answered lol

Probably because they don’t know the answer or aren’t allowed to share it.

Continually asking isn’t going to change that.

Well I just got the answer below. The base just got trained lol

lhpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

https://simpleflying.com/portland-oppor ... -airlines/ These are exciting times for PDX....I'm anxiously excited to finally see AS unveiling of their big expansion plans for Portland....

32andBelow

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm

lhpdx wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/portland-opportunities-alaska-airlines/ These are exciting times for PDX....I'm anxiously excited to finally see AS unveiling of their big expansion plans for Portland....

My dream would be Portland being a major connecting hub so Seattle can be avoided often

lhpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm

32andBelow wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/portland-opportunities-alaska-airlines/ These are exciting times for PDX....I'm anxiously excited to finally see AS unveiling of their big expansion plans for Portland....

My dream would be Portland being a major connecting hub so Seattle can be avoided often

That's been my dream as well..Hopefully, with AS now having both CC-B and CC-C with a total of 32 gates once the dust settles, there will be a lot of capacity for big growth opportunities...

AC4500

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:30 pm

lhpdx wrote:

"You think about Denver, we should be flying that three or four times a day instead of once a day"

I just flew PDX-DEN on Saturday, followed by DEN-PDX on Sunday (both segments on AS, of course). Both flights were packed full. 24 hours before my outbound flight to Denver, I even got an email stating that they were looking for volunteers to be scheduled for a later flight with a connection in Seattle (likely because the PDX-DEN flight was overbooked). Would love to see this route offered 3-4x daily, although I think they would end up converting the frequencies to E175 jets if they were to do this.

It was also mentioned that PDX-ATL could return as well. I think ATL, FAI, PHL and BWI could all return with some or all of those routes operating year-round. ABQ/MCI/MSP are scheduled for mainline upgrades in the placeholder schedule. I hope that plan sticks.

Things are certainly looking very optimistic at the moment.

Jshank83

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:33 pm

lhpdx wrote:

Hoping to see PDX-STL come back.

ASFlyer

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Dash8Driver16 wrote:
The MAX has been to KTN JNU and I think ANC as part of the proving runs. Currently the MAX is staying close to home with SoCal and LAs to Sea/Pdx. As more get delivered expect to see the route network branch out. Also currently the ANC base is in the process or just completed their MAX sims.

Max is scheduled to Hawaii starting in July.

RWA380

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
At the latest, seasonal by Nov 2021.

Ok. I will definitely take you up on that. Just wondering how you think PDX will get RSW before they get MIA... very implausible.

In addition, you'll see mentioned in the article above, you can add ATL, STL, BNA, OMA, IAH & more DEN dailies to that. As I have explained else where in this thread, PDX is a very important market to AAG. Nothing low hanging is going unexplored.

I explained how I know, I've sold travel for over 25 years, here & elsewhere, I know where Portland's monied folks have vacation homes. I know where lots of Portlanders have relocated in retirement or success. While MIA would provide connecting opportunities, the traffic to S. Florida from here, is FLL or PBI on the Atlantic side & TPA, but mostly lower South on the gulf side.

jbpdx

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 pm

RWA380 wrote:
I know where lots of Portlanders have relocated in retirement...

We could use more reliable nonstops to PVR, where we’re in the process of getting a second place. At least weekly in summer would help. Right now a connection is necessary and fares are very high.

RWA380

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 pm

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
I know where lots of Portlanders have relocated in retirement...

We could use more reliable nonstops to PVR, where we’re in the process of getting a second place. At least weekly in summer would help. Right now a connection is necessary and fares are very high.

PV is popular & as soon as International tourism rebounds, you'll see AS back flying n/s to SJD & PVR, we will likely see CUN return this winter if the travel returns, to Mexico. I've heard another carrier is looking at SJD - PDX, but I know not who that is.

RWA380

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 am

ASFlyer wrote:
Dash8Driver16 wrote:

Do you know exactly what routes are impacted? I looked for random Saturdays in July from SAN, SJC, SFO, PDX, SEA & LAX, not one MAX, but PDX, SJC & SFO now have the 737-990ER scheduled. It was my understanding the 990ER's were runway pigs!? I've taken one PDX-HNL, it took up a lot of runway. Is AS blocking seats or what is the change in practice due to?

N3340W

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:03 am

Anyone able to offer insight into the AS crewing of east coast turns (for the plane)....does the crew turn as well, or are these layovers for AS?

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 am

32andBelow wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

You may as well ask AA to build a hub in SAT so you can avoid DFW. PDX doesn't have the O&D. AS may test PDX-xxx for non-stop premiums but isn't going to build PDX in competition with SEA.

32andBelow

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:53 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

You may as well ask AA to build a hub in SAT so you can avoid DFW. PDX doesn't have the O&D. AS may test PDX-xxx for non-stop premiums but isn't going to build PDX in competition with SEA.

That’s why it’s a dream. But it would be cool to have some of the NS there for relief then they’d free up a bunch of gates at sea.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:19 am

32andBelow wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

That’s why it’s a dream. But it would be cool to have some of the NS there for relief then they’d free up a bunch of gates at sea.

Free up a bunch of gates at SEA? AS is going occupy as many gates at SEA as they can to keep DL at bay. I don't think loading up PDX is going to impact SEA's traffic at all. But maybe it will strengthen their position at PDX to keep other airlines at bay there.

ericm2031

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 am

RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Dash8Driver16 wrote:

Do you know exactly what routes are impacted? I looked for random Saturdays in July from SAN, SJC, SFO, PDX, SEA & LAX, not one MAX, but PDX, SJC & SFO now have the 737-990ER scheduled. It was my understanding the 990ER's were runway pigs!? I've taken one PDX-HNL, it took up a lot of runway. Is AS blocking seats or what is the change in practice due to?

I don’t think any of those airports would have problems with the -900s runway performance. With that being said, if you’re asking where the -800s are going, I know they were being moved to short-medium haul routes…but I’m not sure the timeline on that…there’s also increased demand to Hawaii right now so they might just be using them as they need the capacity there.

RWA380

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:14 am

ericm2031 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I don’t think any of those airports would have problems with the -900s runway performance. With that being said, if you’re asking where the -800s are going, I know they were being moved to short-medium haul routes…but I’m not sure the timeline on that…there’s also increased demand to Hawaii right now so they might just be using them as they need the capacity there.

What I failed to mention, it was OGG which like LIH has just over a 6,000 foot runway. There are few 900's going to Hawaii, the vast majority of flights to all Hawaii were on the 800's from all the gateways. SEA has 4 x HNL, 4 x OGG, 3 x KOA & 2 x LIH daily this summer.

RWA380

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 am

N3340W wrote:
Anyone able to offer insight into the AS crewing of east coast turns (for the plane)....does the crew turn as well, or are these layovers for AS?

All Transcon destinations are layovers, even mid-cons like ORD are overnights. I think their duty day is max 10 hours.

32andBelow

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:39 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Free up a bunch of gates at SEA? AS is going occupy as many gates at SEA as they can to keep DL at bay. I don't think loading up PDX is going to impact SEA's traffic at all. But maybe it will strengthen their position at PDX to keep other airlines at bay there.

I mean to grow there. Aren’t they kind of running out of room?

chrisair

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:45 am

RWA380 wrote:
What I failed to mention, it was OGG which like LIH has just over a 6,000 foot runway. There are few 900's going to Hawaii, the vast majority of flights to all Hawaii were on the 800's from all the gateways. SEA has 4 x HNL, 4 x OGG, 3 x KOA & 2 x LIH daily this summer.

I was on a scheduled 900ER the other day on OGG-PDX which got swapped to a 800 at the last minute. Was surprised to see the 900ER seat map when I checked in. Figured it was an error since I didn’t think they could get it off the 7000 foot runway there, but the 900ERs have been flying there on an off for a few weeks. I thought the 900ERs only flew to KOA and HNL.

ASFlyer

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 am

RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Dash8Driver16 wrote:

HNL and KOA from SEA beginning July 19, then more in the fall.

RWA380 wrote:
N3340W wrote:

All Transcon destinations are layovers, even mid-cons like ORD are overnights. I think their duty day is max 10 hours.

all transcon are layovers but a lot of midcon are turns. ORD, MKE, IND, BNA, AUS, DFW, SAT, STL, MCI, CVG and DTW all have or do operate as turns. Some of these have or do also operate as layovers sometimes. The FA's max duty day is 10.5 hours EXCEPT that they can go up to 12.5 hours if the trip is no more than 4,000 miles round trip, begins and ends from the same city, is no more than two legs and has no more than 90 minutes on the ground.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Yes and no...AS still uses gates in both the B and S concourses. The N-concourse has still yet to open completely. I think there are 4 or 5 gates yet to reopen there. And of course they have hardstands, served by buses from the D-concourse extension.

But I think you're right, SEA, overall, is getting a bit crowded. If AS is/has taken over all of the B and C concourses at PDX, there's a lot of room for growth there, whether it's new destinations or adding frequency.

AC4500

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

No one here is suggesting that a PDX build-up would be as large as SEA. But SEA is overcrowded and overserved. Spillover to PDX is only bound to happen eventually.

Western727

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:33 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Yes and no...AS still uses gates in both the B and S concourses. The N-concourse has still yet to open completely. I think there are 4 or 5 gates yet to reopen there. And of course they have hardstands, served by buses from the D-concourse extension.

But I think you're right, SEA, overall, is getting a bit crowded. If AS is/has taken over all of the B and C concourses at PDX, there's a lot of room for growth there, whether it's new destinations or adding frequency.

The dreaded hardstands at SEA are back in operation, huh?

chrisair

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Western727 wrote:
The dreaded hardstands at SEA are back in operation, huh?

They were a few weeks ago when I passed through. Are they going away once N is fully open?

I've been stuck on the B gates a lot recently. Not a fan.

RWA380

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

RWA380 wrote:
N3340W wrote:

all transcon are layovers but a lot of midcon are turns. ORD, MKE, IND, BNA, AUS, DFW, SAT, STL, MCI, CVG and DTW all have or do operate as turns. Some of these have or do also operate as layovers sometimes. The FA's max duty day is 10.5 hours EXCEPT that they can go up to 12.5 hours if the trip is no more than 4,000 miles round trip, begins and ends from the same city, is no more than two legs and has no more than 90 minutes on the ground.

Thanks for that on the MAX's I was looking Jul 10-17th. As far as ORD is concerned, it seems we are both right. I just texted my PDX based AS F/A friend & she flies PDX-ORD quite a bit, (She got tired of FL & HI) so for a change of pace she is flying June & Jul to ORD at least once a week. In the summer, AS laysover their ORD destined flight crews. In the winter, they do not. The summer weather creates too many issueswith delays & over-timed crews, so the Mid-Cons, which some are QX like MCI, STL do (depending on destination) have layovers.

ASFlyer

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:58 pm

RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for that on the MAX's I was looking Jul 10-17th. As far as ORD is concerned, it seems we are both right. I just texted my PDX based AS F/A friend & she flies PDX-ORD quite a bit, (She got tired of FL & HI) so for a change of pace she is flying June & Jul to ORD at least once a week. In the summer, AS laysover their ORD destined flight crews. In the winter, they do not. The summer weather creates too many issueswith delays & over-timed crews, so the Mid-Cons, which some are QX like MCI, STL do (depending on destination) have layovers.

:thumbsup:

some SEA-ORD are operated as turns, some as layovers. There are planes that RON in ORD so they will definitely have layovers, but there are also turns. One particularly gruesome turn right now has the crew checking in at 2256, working the midnight redeye to ORD then turning around and working the 0700 flight back to SEA. Releasing at 0959 I believe. It's ugly but some senior people seem to bid it.

Wneast

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Anybody have any thoughts could a BOI to BZN route work at least seasonal lots of people make the seven hour drive ?

UA444

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:36 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Hopefully, those proposed seasonals become year-round.

I also noticed that the inaugural SEA-RDD flight is on its way.

I’m supposed to fly to Redding next week, but we might postpone due to the extreme hot weather forecasted there - even for that area. Might he hard to get outdoors a lot.

Anyone know how the booking are looking for RDD? I hope it works and the route stays.

Hopefully, AS would consider adding a 2nd RDD-SEA flight noon to mid-afternoon so tourists don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a flight home.

Tourists? In RDD???

wedgetail737

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:02 am

UA444 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I’m supposed to fly to Redding next week, but we might postpone due to the extreme hot weather forecasted there - even for that area. Might he hard to get outdoors a lot.

Anyone know how the booking are looking for RDD? I hope it works and the route stays.

Hopefully, AS would consider adding a 2nd RDD-SEA flight noon to mid-afternoon so tourists don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a flight home.

Tourists? In RDD???

I think they are banking on those campers to Lassen and Shasta.

RWA380

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:06 am

ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Thanks for that on the MAX's I was looking Jul 10-17th. As far as ORD is concerned, it seems we are both right. I just texted my PDX based AS F/A friend & she flies PDX-ORD quite a bit, (She got tired of FL & HI) so for a change of pace she is flying June & Jul to ORD at least once a week. In the summer, AS lay overs their ORD destined flight crews. In the winter, they do not. The summer weather creates too many issues with delays & over-timed crews, so the Mid-Cons, which some are QX like MCI, STL do (depending on destination) have layovers.

some SEA-ORD are operated as turns, some as layovers. There are planes that RON in ORD so they will definitely have layovers, but there are also turns. One particularly gruesome turn right now has the crew checking in at 2256, working the midnight redeye to ORD then turning around and working the 0700 flight back to SEA. Releasing at 0959 I believe. It's ugly but some senior people seem to bid it.

SEA crewing & PDX crewing are different animals. With many mid-con & East coast trips, PDX often has one flight, where SEA have multiple on most routes. There is more flexibility with SEA crewing. PDX crews are bidding on CVG for next month, operating PDX-SEA-CVG in a day. But the longest routing PDX base crews bid on is MCO-SAN-PDX.

Hawaii can be HNL-SEA-PDX. It's easy to staff the PDX-SEA mainline flights by adding a East Coast, Hawaii or Mid Con add on. PDX crew's were deadheading to OAK on QX & flying the early HI departures from OAK, as SFO does not crew OAK.

SEA crews operated the 737-800 that flew SEA-SMF-OGG all the way through before AS dropped SMF-OGG. I know HI is all overnights. Crews have grown tired, because, based upon the Island you fly to, are either restricted to your room, with only ordered food to the room & a small patio, or you can be in the resort, but not leave. So the layover is no longer a day in Hawaii, but more s night in any hotel. It'll change again I'm sure.

ASFlyer

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:47 am

RWA380 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for that on the MAX's I was looking Jul 10-17th. As far as ORD is concerned, it seems we are both right. I just texted my PDX based AS F/A friend & she flies PDX-ORD quite a bit, (She got tired of FL & HI) so for a change of pace she is flying June & Jul to ORD at least once a week. In the summer, AS lay overs their ORD destined flight crews. In the winter, they do not. The summer weather creates too many issues with delays & over-timed crews, so the Mid-Cons, which some are QX like MCI, STL do (depending on destination) have layovers.

SEA crewing & PDX crewing are different animals. With many mid-con & East coast trips, PDX often has one flight, where SEA have multiple on most routes. There is more flexibility with SEA crewing. PDX crews are bidding on CVG for next month, operating PDX-SEA-CVG in a day. But the longest routing PDX base crews bid on is MCO-SAN-PDX.

Hawaii can be HNL-SEA-PDX. It's easy to staff the PDX-SEA mainline flights by adding a East Coast, Hawaii or Mid Con add on. PDX crew's were deadheading to OAK on QX & flying the early HI departures from OAK, as SFO does not crew OAK.

SEA crews operated the 737-800 that flew SEA-SMF-OGG all the way through before AS dropped SMF-OGG. I know HI is all overnights. Crews have grown tired, because, based upon the Island you fly to, are either restricted to your room, with only ordered food to the room & a small patio, or you can be in the resort, but not leave. So the layover is no longer a day in Hawaii, but more s night in any hotel. It'll change again I'm sure.

To be honest, everything has changed constantly over the last year and a half as flying has been scaled back and then added back. For a while the only flying PDX had came through SEA. So all PDX trips started with a PDX-SEA leg or a DH on QX/OO to another city then work from there. SEA seems to be the primary focus for returning flights at the moment so there’s still a fair amount of deadheading from other bases. SEA-CVG is operated as a turn. If PDX is doing it then it’s in the middle of a three or four day trip with SEA layovers on either end. To this point there aren’t layovers there. Anyway, everything is a moving target and nothing is written in stone. Flying changes between the bases every month. Hawaii and east coast will remain overnights until the contract changes as they can’t build Hawaii turns based on current contract language.

usxguy

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:55 am

at least you haven't had to go from N9 to S6.... my friends didn't make it.

wedgetail737

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:20 am

usxguy wrote:
at least you haven't had to go from N9 to S6.... my friends didn't make it.

Did they try to run/walk it? Taking three trains, I made it from the N-concourse to the S-concourse in about 10 to 15 minutes.

Wneast

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:22 am

ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
By April JFK-SAN will increase to two daily

I'm seeing twice daily on JFK-PDX too.

Where do you see 2x daily? Still seeing 1x daily in schedules.

It was on Twitter it might not be loaded in the schedule it goes two daily in April

wedgetail737

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:24 am

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Did they do JFK-LAX at two daily ?

Not surprising considering the competition.

32andBelow

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:53 am

Yikes tho. Why even by VA if you aren’t gonna run a route like LAXJFK

joeblow10

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:03 am

32andBelow wrote:

Yeah… obviously AS is going to run routes that work for them. But this certainly almost eviscerates any few remnants of VX.

Between doing away from the 320s and now essentially axing most every key route VX flew… seems like it was a very expensive way to call the hit man in on a competitor.

jbs2886

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:46 am

joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Yeah… obviously AS is going to run routes that work for them. But this certainly almost eviscerates any few remnants of VX.

Between doing away from the 320s and now essentially axing most every key route VX flew… seems like it was a very expensive way to call the hit man in on a competitor.

This is a bit dramatic. VX was also going to (and I believe already was) struggling on those markets because they lacked a comparable product.

AC4500

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 am

ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Where do you see 2x daily? Still seeing 1x daily in schedules.

Check Alaska's website again. The second daily flight starts 11/4.

RWA380

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:40 am

joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

More like a rather decent expense to garner gates & space at LAX, SFO & JFK, they never once said they would keep any one route. VX was losing money & part of their issue was the poor lease terms on their fleet. Some routes & planes, were eradicated from the onset, but AAG needed time to see how each route has performed with AAG.

It's no secret that AS is handy with an axe & anything performing poorly must go or warrant a solid reason to its own existence. AAG never said they'd fly JFK-LAX/SFO, because VX was losing money doing it. They first chose a dog, that often required an unscheduled fuel stop in the winter going trans-con, then the better A-320's came & operated all n/s flights with fewer stops.

Virgin America was not competitive & often charged the lowest fares on many routes, I think they enjoyed a premium from SFO a bit, maybe, but not enough real loyal fliers with UA offering ten times the destinations from SFO, it was always hard for them to retain those loyal fliers, in the numbers they needed.

32andBelow

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 am

jbs2886 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

This is a bit dramatic. VX was also going to (and I believe already was) struggling on those markets because they lacked a comparable product.

There was no reason to buy them. What did they even get? A couple gates at SFO? And some a320s that they are returning.

Wingtips56

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:44 am

Some people here seem to forget that VX was not doing well (I won't say 'failing") and put themselves up for sale to the highest bidder. It was not a hostile takeover. Whether AS needed them or not is a source of endless debate, though probably only here in a.net, but it did keep them out of the clutches of another competitor that could have encroached too much, too fast on their West Coast turf. B6 will have to grow it on their own organically and slowly. Meanwhile, they are using the extra lift provided by the Airbuses while awaiting more Boeings. E.G. there is an A320 on one of the AS-legacy SEA-SMF trips.

tphuang

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:55 am

RWA380 wrote:
It's no secret that AS is handy with an axe & anything performing poorly must go or warrant a solid reason to its own existence. AAG never said they'd fly JFK-LAX/SFO, because VX was losing money doing it.

This part is simply not true. VX was doing quite well in all the JFK/EWR-LAX/SFO routes. They were definitely still making money on them all the way up until the quarter VX went away. The moment it switched over to AS, the fare numbers just crashed. I posted all the fare numbers on mint routes on a.net. You can see for it yourself.

QXorVX

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:55 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

There was no reason to buy them. What did they even get? A couple gates at SFO? And some a320s that they are returning.

AS, from the onset, said they were not going to offer a competitive premium product on the JFK transcons and were instead going to focus on the standard offering. LAX-JFK is a huge deal to the legacies, some have special fleets just for the market, for AS it was just another market. I think a little too much is being read into this getting cut. JFK is still a decent sized station from the main hubs, 4x from SEA this winter.

The VX purchase did secure them gates in two major airports, and despite the fact the Airbus are going away at some point, most are still flying today. They provided an instantaneous boost to the fleet when the general market was great and growth was needed. Boeing would not have been able to provide that many planes that fast and I have a hard time imagining AS could recruit and train that fast.

Take a look at the ASM growth here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/530 ... laska-air/

It seems some interpret the gains of acquiring VX have just evaporated due to some network changes, clearly not the case. They gained a quick fleet, the pilots and flight attendants required to operate the fleet, gates at constrained airports, and potentially kept a competitor limited in their main market- the west coast. Imagine how the thread would be going today had they not purchased VX.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:58 pm

They’re adding an additional EWR-LAX/SEA to compensate.

msp747

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:12 pm

QXorVX wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

AS, from the onset, said they were not going to offer a competitive premium product on the JFK transcons and were instead going to focus on the standard offering. LAX-JFK is a huge deal to the legacies, some have special fleets just for the market, for AS it was just another market. I think a little too much is being read into this getting cut. JFK is still a decent sized station from the main hubs, 4x from SEA this winter.

The VX purchase did secure them gates in two major airports, and despite the fact the Airbus are going away at some point, most are still flying today. They provided an instantaneous boost to the fleet when the general market was great and growth was needed. Boeing would not have been able to provide that many planes that fast and I have a hard time imagining AS could recruit and train that fast.

Take a look at the ASM growth here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/530 ... laska-air/

It seems some interpret the gains of acquiring VX have just evaporated due to some network changes, clearly not the case. They gained a quick fleet, the pilots and flight attendants required to operate the fleet, gates at constrained airports, and potentially kept a competitor limited in their main market- the west coast. Imagine how the thread would be going today had they not purchased VX.

I think it comes down to certain people will always be against the merger because they were either big fans of VX or wanted B6 to aquire VX, not AS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos