Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wedgetail737

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:40 pm

AC4500 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Interestingly, SEA-JAC is now a mainline 737 starting November 19th.

Only for 11 days currently. Showing back to SkyWest E175 on December 1st. Hopefully they just haven’t updated the schedule for the rest of winter.

They haven't. The schedule is currently updated up to December 1st. Isn't JAC closing from April to June?

Yeah...in 2022. As another poster put it, they should have done it last year during the COVID outbreak...but workers probably couldn't work it because of COVID. Anyway, at least April-June is the slow time for JAC. Good a time as any I guess.

As some airlines have, maybe AS will temporarily boost IDA to compensate. It's too bad West Yellowstone's airport isn't possible anymore.

DLASFlyer

Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

Only for 11 days currently. Showing back to SkyWest E175 on December 1st. Hopefully they just haven’t updated the schedule for the rest of winter.

They haven't. The schedule is currently updated up to December 1st. Isn't JAC closing from April to June?

Yeah...in 2022. As another poster put it, they should have done it last year during the COVID outbreak...but workers probably couldn't work it because of COVID. Anyway, at least April-June is the slow time for JAC. Good a time as any I guess.

As some airlines have, maybe AS will temporarily boost IDA to compensate. It's too bad West Yellowstone's airport isn't possible anymore.

DL is sending extra lift to IDA. Going mainline for three months while JAC is closed.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:08 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

DL is sending extra lift to IDA. Going mainline for three months while JAC is closed.

Yeah...I saw that...they're sending A319's to IDA.

oosnowrat

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

For the right price, I'm sure OO could find a 200 to run into WYS for AS. :-)

Chugach

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:45 am

It looks like AS is dropping CDB after August 18. Bummer…definitely one of the more unique routes in the AS system, but with Ravn back on it there’s probably not much reason for AS to continue. ADK goes back to being a nonstop route from ANC.

ytib

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:32 am

Chugach wrote:
It looks like AS is dropping CDB after August 18. Bummer…definitely one of the more unique routes in the AS system, but with Ravn back on it there’s probably not much reason for AS to continue. ADK goes back to being a nonstop route from ANC.

In the new EAS award (effective October 1, 2021):

"Lastly, Alaska Airlines states they intend to revert to nonstop service between Anchorage and Adak, removing the intermediate stop in Cold Bay. However, Alaska Airlines requests flexibility to provide this intermediate stop in the future."

As part of the DOT award:
"With regard to the request of the intermediate stop in Cold Bay for the new contract period, Alaska Airlines should follow the previous procedure of discussing the intermediate stop with the community of Adak first, and if the community so chooses, they may request by letter that DOT grant an Alternate Service Pattern. It is noted that, in the letter of support from the City of Adak, Mr. Lockett addresses this request positively"

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -8556-0259

allegiantflyer

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:01 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Does anyone think Alaska will relaunch SFO to LIH and KOA? These seem like key routes they'd want to resume, since they keep saying that they're going to re-commit to SFO and SJC...

Separately, I'd also have to wonder if they'd launch SFO to BZE, SJO and/or LIR at some point given that they are restarting CUN.

I'm aware that their VP of route network recently said that they need to rejig their focus from increasing network breadth (adding new routes) to instead focusing on depth (increasing frequencies on existing routes) but there are some obvious opportunities here.

I Certainly hope SFO gets more Hawaii! AS has a solid position in Hawaii so connecting it with their CA hubs would be beneficial. Also I hope the PHX-SFO flights are retimed to optimize connections. PHX is another Hawaii heavy market that could benefit from routes such as these.

Also connecting PHX with LAX/SAN is still long awaited, is there still hope for this in the future?

sfojvjets

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:54 am

allegiantflyer wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
Does anyone think Alaska will relaunch SFO to LIH and KOA? These seem like key routes they'd want to resume, since they keep saying that they're going to re-commit to SFO and SJC...

Separately, I'd also have to wonder if they'd launch SFO to BZE, SJO and/or LIR at some point given that they are restarting CUN.

I'm aware that their VP of route network recently said that they need to rejig their focus from increasing network breadth (adding new routes) to instead focusing on depth (increasing frequencies on existing routes) but there are some obvious opportunities here.

I Certainly hope SFO gets more Hawaii! AS has a solid position in Hawaii so connecting it with their CA hubs would be beneficial. Also I hope the PHX-SFO flights are retimed to optimize connections. PHX is another Hawaii heavy market that could benefit from routes such as these.

Also connecting PHX with LAX/SAN is still long awaited, is there still hope for this in the future?

I agree! For some reason it seems like they are slimming down slightly at LAX. After all, cutting JFK but adding a sub-daily BZE service is a net reduction of service in my book. At the same time, they aren't truly doubling down at SFO. It's interesting to see what might be happening in terms of their California strategy... At the same time, I don't think PHX-LAX is bound to ever happen. That's a vicious market with tons of LCC service already, plus AA covers it just fine, I think. Similar story with SAN-PHX I think, the only difference is that AS is so much more dominant in SAN so it probably has a greater chance of happening. But we'll see.

Wneast

Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:07 am

sfojvjets wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

I agree! For some reason it seems like they are slimming down slightly at LAX. After all, cutting JFK but adding a sub-daily BZE service is a net reduction of service in my book. At the same time, they aren't truly doubling down at SFO. It's interesting to see what might be happening in terms of their California strategy... At the same time, I don't think PHX-LAX is bound to ever happen. That's a vicious market with tons of LCC service already, plus AA covers it just fine, I think. Similar story with SAN-PHX I think, the only difference is that AS is so much more dominant in SAN so it probably has a greater chance of happening. But we'll see.

The problem with AS doing those flights is that SAN-PHX and LAX-PHX are covered by other airlines and especially WN they would pile it on them with more frequency. What do you think AS might be happening with there California strategy ?

BangersAndMash

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:58 am

Wneast wrote:
The problem with AS doing those flights is that SAN-PHX and LAX-PHX are covered by other airlines and especially WN they would pile it on them with more frequency. What do you think AS might be happening with there California strategy ?

With AS now able to tap into AA's massive local ff base in PHX, this is far less relevant than it once was. Indeed, there are loads of markets in the Southwest where AS could have a go, some it has tried before (TUS, ABQ, ELP, SAT spring to mind). The market dynamics have changed a lot in the past year.

chrisair

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Wneast wrote:

AS already sells codeshares on the AA PHX-SAN and SNA flights.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:41 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:

Competing against Hawaiian, AA, and Southwest non-stops PHX-Hawaii with connections makes little sense. Lousy yields can reasonably be predicted.

gmcc

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm

jbs2886

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:10 pm

gmcc wrote:

Both of those are KOA.

gmcc

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:24 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
gmcc wrote:

Both of those are KOA.

Sorry should have been more clear. Both are going to KOA today with 918 scheduled KOA-PDX tonight and PDX-HNL tomorrow 7/20.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 am

Still no max to anchorage! Shame!

wedgetail737

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:47 am

With UA exiting PAE, I wonder if AS will get the remaining "slots".

ASFlyer

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:23 am

32andBelow wrote:

honestly, what's the shame? It's not any different from the consumer standpoint than the 737-900ER that does fly to ANC all the time. What difference does it make?

Chugach

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:24 am

32andBelow wrote:

UA is running the Max to FAI and ANC.

wedgetail737

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 am

ASFlyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

honestly, what's the shame? It's not any different from the consumer standpoint than the 737-900ER that does fly to ANC all the time. What difference does it make?

LOL! It's only a shame from an Avgeek Point-of-view.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:27 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

LOL! It's only a shame from an Avgeek Point-of-view.

Well it’s an av geek site!

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:45 pm

gmcc wrote:

AS is going to save some fuel with these birds on those flights. But same with SEA-Florida runs. Kudos AS.

ikolkyo

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:38 pm

gmcc wrote:

Does this indicate WiFI is active on them?

b777900

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:29 pm

Any update on Alaska adding Toronto or Halifax? WOW NS to SEA ...

jbs2886

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:30 pm

b777900 wrote:

Wow?

flyoregon

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 pm

b777900 wrote:

Did you get sucked into a time warp or something?

wedgetail737

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:46 am

b777900 wrote:

I don't think AS has any incentive to fly to any of those Canadian destinations.

AC4500

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:45 pm

b777900 wrote:

Yep, I'm sure Toronto and Halifax are major priorities for AS right now. :roll:

Maybe they'll add Toronto in the near future, but certainly not Halifax.

Aliqiout

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:07 pm

b777900 wrote:

I don't think anyone is even flying YHZ-YVR right now, but YYZ seems to be in the realm of possibilititoes after the trans border market is restored to pre covid levels. They tried YYZ many years ago and failed, but the market and AS have changed a lot since then.

I think something like YWG might eventually happen. I would love to see another shot at YXS, and YXY would be nice too.

jbpdx

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 pm

AC4500 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

Yep, I'm sure Toronto and Halifax are major priorities for AS right now. :roll:

Maybe they'll add Toronto in the near future, but certainly not Halifax.

They should consider PDX-YYZ now that Air Canada has dropped the route, which was never flown much anyway. Or maybe WestJet.

jplatts

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
b777900 wrote:

I don't think anyone is even flying YHZ-YVR right now, but YYZ seems to be in the realm of possibilititoes after the trans border market is restored to pre covid levels. They tried YYZ many years ago and failed, but the market and AS have changed a lot since then.

I had previously mentioned the possibility of DL adding SEA-YYZ nonstop service as DL would have connecting feed on both ends of the route due to the DL SEA hub and WS YYZ hub. DL also has the WS FF base in Eastern Canada in addition to the DL FF base in Greater Seattle to support SEA-YYZ nonstop service on DL.

While AS doesn't currently codeshare with any Canadian airlines, AS codesharing with PD might be a possibility if AS adds SEA-YYZ nonstop service as PD is planning on serving YYZ (due to jet aircraft being prohibited at YTZ) and as an AS-PD codeshare would allow AS to better compete against the DL/WS partnership.

AS also would have a significantly bigger presence at SEA than DL, UA, or AC to support SEA-YYZ nonstop service on AS.

wedgetail737

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 am

jplatts wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
b777900 wrote:

I had previously mentioned the possibility of DL adding SEA-YYZ nonstop service as DL would have connecting feed on both ends of the route due to the DL SEA hub and WS YYZ hub. DL also has the WS FF base in Eastern Canada in addition to the DL FF base in Greater Seattle to support SEA-YYZ nonstop service on DL.

While AS doesn't currently codeshare with any Canadian airlines, AS codesharing with PD might be a possibility if AS adds SEA-YYZ nonstop service as PD is planning on serving YYZ (due to jet aircraft being prohibited at YTZ) and as an AS-PD codeshare would allow AS to better compete against the DL/WS partnership.

AS also would have a significantly bigger presence at SEA than DL, UA, or AC to support SEA-YYZ nonstop service on AS.

While one can't say it will never happen, I don't think it's too likely, since it's more of a Star Alliance hub. I'm sure AC will reinstate the YYZ-SEA within the next year...once Canada and the US open the borders. AS has temporarily suspended service to YYC, YEG, Victoria and Kelowna, with no real date to start them back up.

allegiantflyer

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

Now that AS has confirmed that they will focus on leisure markets out of LAX I suppose we can cross PHX off the list, however they comfortably operate LAX-DAL so who knows.

What is interesting is PHX-SAN has more demand than PHX-SFO yet still PHX-SFO has far more frequency, yet AS has still remained committed to the SFO route. G4 Recently started IWA-SAN successfully in May and is rumored to go daily. With this said I do think in the long run a SAN route would be more likely than LAX (from PHX).

I will admit I am often confused by the AS California strategy.

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:16 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

While one can't say it will never happen, I don't think it's too likely, since it's more of a Star Alliance hub. I'm sure AC will reinstate the YYZ-SEA within the next year...once Canada and the US open the borders. AS has temporarily suspended service to YYC, YEG, Victoria and Kelowna, with no real date to start them back up.

I would have thought they'll be back to YYC, YEG, YYJ and YLW.

There's been some speculation that PD launching jet flights out of YYZ could lead to them getting closer to Oneworld. If that happens, it would make AS service to YYZ somewhat more likely, by opening up one-stop options in Eastern Canada and the ability to tap into PD's ff base in Toronto for O&D. Without that, you're right, it's probably unlikely to happen.

SQ021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 pm

according to simpleflying Alaska are reactivating their A320's for a short period,

https://simpleflying.com/alaska-reactivating-a320s/

oosnowrat

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm

SQ021 wrote:
according to simpleflying Alaska are reactivating their A320's for a short period,

"All-Boeing roots." It wasn't that long ago half the fleet was Mad-Dogs.

SANFan

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm

SQ021 wrote:

I'm certainly seeing some 320s showing up in unusual places on the Nov schedules just updated.... Doesn't mean they're going to remain when the skeds are finalized but they're there now.

bb

lightsaber

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Please post on topic.

wedgetail737

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 pm

SANFan wrote:
SQ021 wrote:

I'm certainly seeing some 320s showing up in unusual places on the Nov schedules just updated.... Doesn't mean they're going to remain when the skeds are finalized but they're there now.

bb

For a "short" period. We'll really see how short of a period they are talking about, especially when they get to the point of needing all the lift they can get.

32andBelow

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:42 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
SQ021 wrote:

bb

For a "short" period. We'll really see how short of a period they are talking about, especially when they get to the point of needing all the lift they can get.

We’ll see how strong demand is this winter. But maybe they are to cover maintenance checks on the 737s.

My question is where are they going to get all the airbus pilot for this? Is the airbus super fat right now?

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:07 am

32andBelow wrote:
We’ll see how strong demand is this winter. But maybe they are to cover maintenance checks on the 737s.

System-wide LF in Q2 was 77%. Guidance for Q3 is in the 82-85% bracket. Demand is clearly there.

32andBelow wrote:
My question is where are they going to get all the airbus pilot for this? Is the airbus super fat right now?

From their existing pilot pool? The fleet plan hasn't changed that long ago, and they clearly have planned for Airbus pilots since they're keeping the A321. It's only 10 aircraft anyway.

32andBelow

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:50 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

System-wide LF in Q2 was 77%. Guidance for Q3 is in the 82-85% bracket. Demand is clearly there.

32andBelow wrote:

From their existing pilot pool? The fleet plan hasn't changed that long ago, and they clearly have planned for Airbus pilots since they're keeping the A321. It's only 10 aircraft anyway.

10 aircraft is like 100 pilots. Which means they have 100 extra airbus pilots right now with their planes parked.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 pm

32andBelow wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

32andBelow wrote:

10 aircraft is like 100 pilots. Which means they have 100 extra airbus pilots right now with their planes parked.

I'm pretty sure they've given some thought about that in their planning. These planes were somehow being flown before and AS had the pilots to fly them. It's not like this is new aircraft they need to recruit for. Their Airbus pilots are being kept on and retrained for the MAX anyway.

32andBelow

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:23 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I'm pretty sure they've given some thought about that in their planning. These planes were somehow being flown before and AS had the pilots to fly them. It's not like this is new aircraft they need to recruit for. Their Airbus pilots are being kept on and retrained for the MAX anyway.

I’m just asking what these pilots have been doing if there are going to “temporarily” reactivate 10 aircrafts. I asked if they have keep the airbus overstaffed to this point.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:53 pm

32andBelow wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I’m just asking what these pilots have been doing if there are going to “temporarily” reactivate 10 aircrafts. I asked if they have keep the airbus overstaffed to this point.

The planes are not being put into service until the fall, so there is time to ensure training is in order.

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:06 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Of course they've been overstaffed. The alternative to that was layoffs and then a displacement bid and massive (and messy) retraining as DL and AA did.

jbs2886

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Of course they've been overstaffed. The alternative to that was layoffs and then a displacement bid and massive (and messy) retraining as DL and AA did.

PSP programs, too. The government is paying AS to keep the pilots around (or overstaffed).

USAirKid

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Would it be really that massive and messy as DL and AA? AS has two types: 737 & A319/A320/A321. I'm guessing most of the A320 pilots are from VX, so they're probably more junior to most of the 737 pilots.

EA CO AS

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:03 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Daily systemwide LF has consistently been near or just above 90% for all of July. Airports and Contact Centers have been implementing mandatory overtime for months and are now paying a premium of 0.5X pay over and above the normal 1.5X/2.0X pay agents earn when working these OT/DT pay hours.

Yes, demand is absolutely there.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Daily systemwide LF has consistently been near or just above 90% for all of July. Airports and Contact Centers have been implementing mandatory overtime for months and are now paying a premium of 0.5X pay over and above the normal 1.5X/2.0X pay agents earn when working these OT/DT pay hours.

Yes, demand is absolutely there.

Yep, according to this piece from everybody's favourite news source, capacity at SEA in Q2 2021 was already 2% higher than Q2 2019

https://simpleflying.com/alaska-airlines-seattle-2/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos