Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wedgetail737

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:35 pm

I wonder if AS will pay top-dollar for the remaining PAE "slots".

Wneast

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

what I find interesting the CEO of the airport says the slots have already been given to someone else but they can’t disclose who it is

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 pm

Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

what I find interesting the CEO of the airport says the slots have already been given to someone else but they can’t disclose who it is

Oh...well, it will be interesting what comes of it. But that "someone else" could be a little smoke screen to divert someone's thinking. But we'll have to see who gets those slots in the end.

It would be cool if it's some small guy like Contour Airlines...but I seriously doubt it.

BoeingGuy

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Please show where the airport CEO has already given the slots to someone else? I thought he said a few others have expressed interest. Big difference.

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Please show where the airport CEO has already given the slots to someone else? I thought he said a few others have expressed interest. Big difference.

I still think the UA slots will go to the highest bidder.

Wneast

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:03 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

https://twitter.com/jetcitystar/status/ ... 6498253826 it’s said here to the media

wedgetail737

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:01 am

The Tweet said they already have a carrier lined up for those slots...so it could still be AS. I know...picking on this is like beating a dead horse.

Wneast

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:03 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
The Tweet said they already have a carrier lined up for those slots...so it could still be AS. I know...picking on this is like beating a dead horse.

True I’m not saying it won’t be AS just that it’s already decided so we will see

wedgetail737

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 am

Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

True I’m not saying it won’t be AS just that it’s already decided so we will see

I'm excited to see what happens. If it goes to other potential tenants, then I would really be interested where they would fly. If it's AS, then I would definitely be interest where else they may go or return they've had to sacrifice. Hopefully, we'll here sooner rather than later...maybe before the Holidays.

All three of those gates are capable of 737 or Airbus narrowbodies.

Wneast

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:16 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I'm excited to see what happens. If it goes to other potential tenants, then I would really be interested where they would fly. If it's AS, then I would definitely be interest where else they may go or return they've had to sacrifice. Hopefully, we'll here sooner rather than later...maybe before the Holidays.

All three of those gates are capable of 737 or Airbus narrowbodies.

Hawaii fight maybe unlikely but one could hope that would be cool to see

32andBelow

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:01 am

EA CO AS wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
We’ll see how strong demand is this winter. But maybe they are to cover maintenance checks on the 737s.

System-wide LF in Q2 was 77%. Guidance for Q3 is in the 82-85% bracket. Demand is clearly there.

Daily systemwide LF has consistently been near or just above 90% for all of July. Airports and Contact Centers have been implementing mandatory overtime for months and are now paying a premium of 0.5X pay over and above the normal 1.5X/2.0X pay agents earn when working these OT/DT pay hours.

Yes, demand is absolutely there.
aren’t we talking about November?

EA CO AS

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 am

32andBelow wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

System-wide LF in Q2 was 77%. Guidance for Q3 is in the 82-85% bracket. Demand is clearly there.

Daily systemwide LF has consistently been near or just above 90% for all of July. Airports and Contact Centers have been implementing mandatory overtime for months and are now paying a premium of 0.5X pay over and above the normal 1.5X/2.0X pay agents earn when working these OT/DT pay hours.

Yes, demand is absolutely there.
aren’t we talking about November?

Yes, but speaking to trends about forward bookings and demand being higher than 2019 can allow one to draw reasonable conclusions about what November may look like.

F9Animal

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm

Hey all! I noticed at least 3 of AS 737 MAX's parked near cargo in Seattle today. Anyone know what's going on with them? Are they possibly getting wifi installed?

SANFan

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:02 pm

An FYI to AS-watchers. It appears that last night, during the Saturday night OAG update, AS started trimming and plucking away at the December schedules; I wouldn't call it finalized yet but fairly substantial (and expected) frequency reductions were made.

I can only speak of SAN (since I know those skeds very well) but lots of our markets had added frequencies on the advanced skeds -- place holder flights essentially -- that are now gone. For example, for SAN-FAT, the advanced Dec 1 sked continued to show 4 daily flights and in fact, that's what still showed yesterday (during the daytime.) Then the Saturday night purge happened. Today, SAN-FAT is down to 2 flights in Dec. That has happened in many other markets from SAN as well, including OGG, SLC, MRY, BOI; each of these markets now show only 1 daily r/t. (And that is certainly no surprise to me.)

I assume this sort of trimming was done system-wide. But the flights that remain still show pretty much daily frequencies, and the timing of the flights has not really changed so I think last night's cuts were just to get the December schedules closer to reality so AS will not have to re-accommodate as many people; after all, people are certainly booking their holiday travel now... I believe the real cuts (further reduction of existing frequencies, many to below daily) will happen in a week or 2 as the December schedules are initially finalized and will end up much closer to what they will actually look like in December, including the Holiday period.

I expect that pretty soon, the December skeds will look fairly similar to the now-adjusted November ones.... And they're not all that pretty.

bb

AC4500

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
An FYI to AS-watchers. It appears that last night, during the Saturday night OAG update, AS started trimming and plucking away at the December schedules; I wouldn't call it finalized yet but fairly substantial (and expected) frequency reductions were made.

I can only speak of SAN (since I know those skeds very well) but lots of our markets had added frequencies on the advanced skeds -- place holder flights essentially -- that are now gone. For example, for SAN-FAT, the advanced Dec 1 sked continued to show 4 daily flights and in fact, that's what still showed yesterday (during the daytime.) Then the Saturday night purge happened. Today, SAN-FAT is down to 2 flights in Dec. That has happened in many other markets from SAN as well, including OGG, SLC, MRY, BOI; each of these markets now show only 1 daily r/t. (And that is certainly no surprise to me.)

I assume this sort of trimming was done system-wide. But the flights that remain still show pretty much daily frequencies, and the timing of the flights has not really changed so I think last night's cuts were just to get the December schedules closer to reality so AS will not have to re-accommodate as many people; after all, people are certainly booking their holiday travel now... I believe the real cuts (further reduction of existing frequencies, many to below daily) will happen in a week or 2 as the December schedules are initially finalized and will end up much closer to what they will actually look like in December, including the Holiday period.

I expect that pretty soon, the December skeds will look fairly similar to the now-adjusted November ones.... And they're not all that pretty.

bb

Looks like the second daily SAN-MCO flight has been permanently cut as well.

usxguy

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm

thanksgiving <-> christmas is a SUPER light travel period!

SANFan

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:15 am

AC4500 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

Yes, that was removed last week from the advanced skeds. I doubt it's permanent but they are apparently just not yet seeing the traffic they thought they would in the market. (AS's been planning on adding the 2nd nonstop in the market since last year.) And as I think I've mentioned before, I believe AS is right now the only carrier in the market... WN and F9 are not flying it due, probably, to lack of traffic!

usxguy wrote:

Huh? Do you mean the 2 weeks between 11/29 and 12/15? I agree although there are certainly some winter-only seasonal routes that fly then. Much business travel is non-existent during that period and many leisure travelers hold off on their trips until the kids are out of school.

But of course a lot of that slack is made up for during the peak holiday periods; I believe the Wednesday before T'giving and the Sunday after are, at least in San Diego, two of the most highly traveled days of the year. The weekend before Christmas (around 12/17-19) and the few days following New Year's are also very heavy travel days. AS reflects that in that there are some flights that don't fly daily in the first part of December but frequencies are at least daily between roughly 12/17 and 1/3, such as FLL. Some routes don't begin flying until around 12/16 such as HDN and JAC. As of now.

Some of the adjustments I mentioned that AS has now made are certainly different between the 1st two weeks of Dec and the last two! It's like 2 entirely different schedules (which is how I handle it.) One thing is for sure: there will be lots more changes before December arrives.

bb

wedgetail737

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:10 am

SANFan wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

Yes, that was removed last week from the advanced skeds. I doubt it's permanent but they are apparently just not yet seeing the traffic they thought they would in the market. (AS's been planning on adding the 2nd nonstop in the market since last year.) And as I think I've mentioned before, I believe AS is right now the only carrier in the market... WN and F9 are not flying it due, probably, to lack of traffic!

usxguy wrote:

Huh? Do you mean the 2 weeks between 11/29 and 12/15? I agree although there are certainly some winter-only seasonal routes that fly then. Much business travel is non-existent during that period and many leisure travelers hold off on their trips until the kids are out of school.

But of course a lot of that slack is made up for during the peak holiday periods; I believe the Wednesday before T'giving and the Sunday after are, at least in San Diego, two of the most highly traveled days of the year. The weekend before Christmas (around 12/17-19) and the few days following New Year's are also very heavy travel days. AS reflects that in that there are some flights that don't fly daily in the first part of December but frequencies are at least daily between roughly 12/17 and 1/3, such as FLL. Some routes don't begin flying until around 12/16 such as HDN and JAC. As of now.

Some of the adjustments I mentioned that AS has now made are certainly different between the 1st two weeks of Dec and the last two! It's like 2 entirely different schedules (which is how I handle it.) One thing is for sure: there will be lots more changes before December arrives.

bb

Record COVID cases in FL probably isn't helping their loads. It's possible that the reduction in SAN frequency just might be a precursor to new or resumed Winter ski/snowboard flights.

airlinepeanuts

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 pm

jbpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
b777900 wrote:
Any update on Alaska adding Toronto or Halifax? WOW NS to SEA ...

Yep, I'm sure Toronto and Halifax are major priorities for AS right now. :roll:

Maybe they'll add Toronto in the near future, but certainly not Halifax.

They should consider PDX-YYZ now that Air Canada has dropped the route, which was never flown much anyway. Or maybe WestJet.

I recall AS operated LAX-YYZ for a while and my understanding was it was hit or miss in terms of LF but what killed them was AC would undercut them on price until they pulled out.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:32 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

usxguy wrote:

bb

Record COVID cases in FL probably isn't helping their loads. It's possible that the reduction in SAN frequency just might be a precursor to new or resumed Winter ski/snowboard flights.

Demand to and from Florida is still not hurting. Miami is the first major airport to be above 2019 numbers and all the secondary airports are pretty much far above it.

EA CO AS

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:04 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Yep, I'm sure Toronto and Halifax are major priorities for AS right now. :roll:

Maybe they'll add Toronto in the near future, but certainly not Halifax.

They should consider PDX-YYZ now that Air Canada has dropped the route, which was never flown much anyway. Or maybe WestJet.

I recall AS operated LAX-YYZ for a while and my understanding was it was hit or miss in terms of LF but what killed them was AC would undercut them on price until they pulled out.

Undercut on price AND dropped a B747 on the route while AS was only using an MD80.

airlinepeanuts

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Undercut on price AND dropped a B747 on the route while AS was only using an MD80.

Yikes didn’t know that. Yeah AS had the cards stacked against them on that route for sure.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:11 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

How long ago was that? AS retired its last MD-80 in 2008, right? The last AC 747 went in 2004. SEA has evolved quite a bit in the last two decades.

jashah

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 pm

I frequently fly to the USA from YYJ via SEA on AS. I have some travel coming up and they currently only have one flight per day between YYJ and SEA through December. Starting in January, they are back to the usual 4 flights a day. Only having 1 flight a day makes connections very inconvenient.

Does anyone know if the schedule through December is finalized? Obviously, things are in flux with the changing COVID situation but I’m trying to get a sense if I should hold off booking with AS for now or start looking at another airline?

Western727

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

How long ago was that? AS retired its last MD-80 in 2008, right? The last AC 747 went in 2004. SEA has evolved quite a bit in the last two decades.

An M80 betwen YYZ and LAX??? That's 2,175 mi long according to gcmap. I don't doubt that, though, knowing EA CO AS's rep, and I presume only the MD-83 did it. My question is if it went payload restricted on the westbound portion in the winter. If so, perhaps that was another (albeit smaller) ding on the service?

usxguy

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:51 pm

I'm still waiting to see PDX/JNU added :)

hiflyeras

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 pm

usxguy wrote:

True! Having worked for years in planning, it's quite typical for the first half of both November and December to be quite light on the schedule...particularly mid-week. Creates difficulty in building schedules for the crews as the flying ramps up right when they don't want to be working...the last week of Nov and from about Dec 18-Jan 5. Then the cuts are back from early Jan through the start of the kiddie's spring breaks. Happens every year. The summer schedule used to last until after Labor Day weekend in the US but now they start to make cuts in late August. Remember the good old days of paper timetables? Airlines operating two or four seasonal schedules per year are long gone.

chrisair

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Western727 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

An M80 betwen YYZ and LAX??? That's 2,175 mi long according to gcmap. I don't doubt that, though, knowing EA CO AS's rep, and I presume only the MD-83 did it. My question is if it went payload restricted on the westbound portion in the winter. If so, perhaps that was another (albeit smaller) ding on the service?

Sometime in the mid 90s if I remember seeing the route maps in the magazine.

Aliqiout

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't on a 737-400?

SANFan

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:17 pm

jashah wrote:
I frequently fly to the USA from YYJ via SEA on AS. I have some travel coming up and they currently only have one flight per day between YYJ and SEA through December. Starting in January, they are back to the usual 4 flights a day. Only having 1 flight a day makes connections very inconvenient.

Does anyone know if the schedule through December is finalized? Obviously, things are in flux with the changing COVID situation but I’m trying to get a sense if I should hold off booking with AS for now or start looking at another airline?

I posted somewhere (maybe here, upthread) that AS just last Saturday night did start fooling around with the December skeds; for SAN, for example, they removed lots of "excess" flights (multiple frequencies that were still part of the advanced schedules) but the fine tuning, such as further cuts by reducing flights to sub-daily and time adjustments, is yet to happen. I predict it will happen in the next week or two simply because they want to get the holiday flights, in particular, more accurate than they are now, in order to cut down on reaccommodations that will be needed as people continuing to book their holiday travel. Of course nothing is really locked in until about December 1...

As I'm sure you know, the 4 flights you mentioned in January are because that's the advanced place-holder skeds and that will very likely be much reduced as January approaches.

bb

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 am

Aliqiout wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

It was an MD-80. Pretty sure it was late 1980s, so the 734s weren't in the fleet yet. In any case (as stated before), AC went out of their way to kill it and it didn't last very long.

airlinepeanuts

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 am

[threeid]
[/threeid]
gunsontheroof wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

It was an MD-80. Pretty sure it was late 1980s, so the 734s weren't in the fleet yet. In any case (as stated before), AC went out of their way to kill it and it didn't last very long.

I believe they flew this on and off until early 2000’s and with the 734 at that time. May be wrong though.

ASFlyer

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

LAX-YYZ at AS operated in 1991 and 1992.

Western727

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:27 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

So it was an M80, then. I posted earlier asking about the variant, but it got deleted so I'll try again: I presume it was specifically flown by the MD-83, since YYZ-LAX is 2,175 mi. I wonder if the flight left YYZ weight-restricted on the westbound segment, especially in the winter.

Chugach

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Western727 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

So it was an M80, then. I posted earlier asking about the variant, but it got deleted so I'll try again: I presume it was specifically flown by the MD-83, since YYZ-LAX is 2,175 mi. I wonder if the flight left YYZ weight-restricted on the westbound segment, especially in the winter.

No idea on the weight restriction, but AS in those days had some MD-80’s with longer range fuel tanks to handle the LAX/SFO-ANC and ANC-Russia routes.

Western727

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Chugach wrote:
Western727 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

No idea on the weight restriction, but AS in those days had some MD-80’s with longer range fuel tanks to handle the LAX/SFO-ANC and ANC-Russia routes.

Thanks, Chugach, for the California-ANC and ANC-Far East M80 flights which I'd forgotten about. For comparison with the YYZ-LAX distance of 2,175 mi, LAX-ANC is 2,345 mi and SFO-ANC is 2,018 mi. ANC-GDX (Magadan) is 1,954 mi.

EDIT: forgot to add the Russian flights.

Dash8Driver16

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:20 pm

I am pretty sure that the LAX-YYZ was a legacy Jet America route that AS tried to keep afloat.

ASFlyer

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Dash8Driver16 wrote:
I am pretty sure that the LAX-YYZ was a legacy Jet America route that AS tried to keep afloat.

nope - it was all Alaska. It started way after the JA merger

Chugach

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:46 pm

Western727 wrote:
Chugach wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Thanks, Chugach, for the California-ANC and ANC-Far East M80 flights which I'd forgotten about. For comparison with the YYZ-LAX distance of 2,175 mi, LAX-ANC is 2,345 mi and SFO-ANC is 2,018 mi. ANC-GDX (Magadan) is 1,954 mi.

ANC-Russia isn’t that far on a great circle route, but the great circle route does require ETOPS, which the MD’s didn’t have. So when AS flew it, they had to go north towards OME and cross over the Bering Strait, then go south. That adds a lot of distance. Pretty sure Yakutia does/did the same thing on their ANC-PKC flights (who knows if Yakutia will ever be back in ANC).

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:50 pm

Chugach wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Chugach wrote:

ANC-Russia isn’t that far on a great circle route, but the great circle route does require ETOPS, which the MD’s didn’t have. So when AS flew it, they had to go north towards OME and cross over the Bering Strait, then go south. That adds a lot of distance. Pretty sure Yakutia does/did the same thing on their ANC-PKC flights (who knows if Yakutia will ever be back in ANC).

AS originally started Russia Far-East with 727-200's.

oosnowrat

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:25 am

ASFlyer wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

The route started October 8, 1991, and was 2x daily. The timetable didn't specify aircraft.

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:44 am

oosnowrat wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

The route started October 8, 1991, and was 2x daily. The timetable didn't specify aircraft.

But the printed OAG back in those days did.

oosnowrat

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:50 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I don't have one of those. :) I bet our buddy enilria could sleuth it out for us.

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:53 am

oosnowrat wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:

I don't have one of those. :) I bet our buddy enilria could sleuth it out for us.

LOL! This was back before they had those pocket guides. They had those big, telephone-book-looking suckers that you get from an airline at the airport if you kindly asked. The good ol' days.

EA CO AS

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:38 am

oosnowrat wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:

He’s right, the service to the Russian Far East was originally served with B727-200s, and later, MD80s with aux tanks.

b777900

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 pm

Will AS EVER add lie flats on trans con flights BOS-SEA, DCA SEA, BOS-SFO??? FLL- SEA?

jbs2886

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 pm

b777900 wrote:
Will AS EVER add lie flats on trans con flights BOS-SEA, DCA SEA, BOS-SFO??? FLL- SEA?

"EVER"? There is not a single person that can predict what AS will EVER do. Come on.

ASFlyer

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:55 pm

b777900 wrote:

the person above is right. Who can ever predict what any airline will EVER do. If I had to guess, I'd say no. Of all of Alaska's transcons, the only ones that have lie flat as a regular option are SEA-JFK/BOS, LAX-JFK/BOS/FLL/EWR (when they're even operating) and SFO-BOS/JFK/EWR. There are far more that don't offer lie flats and maintaining a small subfleet is complex and expensive - two things Alaska shies away from. Not to mention, the entire industry is shifting and where it ends up is anyone's guess. There may not be much of a premium market left for lie flats on 5 and 6 hour flights.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:20 am

b777900 wrote:

Lie-flats don't appear to be in the current Alaska Air DNA. Domestic F with a couple extra inches of pitch is how they've played it post-VX. Yes, fleet simplification is probably part of it. B6 has a few Mint aircraft but NYC is a bigger upper-end market than SEA.

AS is a non-factor on BOS-SFO. It isn't even in the schedule through December.

usxguy

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 am

Alaska has invited a handful of Gold 75Ks to Seattle to take part in testing 3 different LIE FLAT seats.... who knows what will become of this. They could be kicking tires, or we may really see a sub-fleet with seats like on Copa!