Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6633
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Scheduled updated through February 16, 2022.

PDX/SAN-PAE are back, and PDX-TUS is now on the 737.

Lots of cuts and suspensions all around, though.


When does AS resume PAE-SAN? I was booked on 12/27 and 1/4 and the flights were cancelled. I don’t seem it available now either.


You're not going to believe this, but the PAE-SAN service comes back on 1/4, according to the AS website.


Haha. I ended up changing my plan anyway and booking a vacation on PAE-TUS after Christmas. There have already been multiple schedule adjustments within a week after I booked it. I sure hope AS doesn’t pull it in the next 3 months now.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3392
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Also noticing that AS is planning on utilizing the E175 on very long routes that normally use 737s.


Such as?


Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


Yeah, that's my point for asking which routes. AS has historically used E175s on a number of longer routes - whether its to maintain service despite seasonality of demand, frequency, aircraft routing, etc. I also don't see the negative aspect of having an E175 over a 737, as a mere "MVP" on AS, I have better upgrade chances on an E175 compared to 737s.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Such as?


Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


Yeah, that's my point for asking which routes. AS has historically used E175s on a number of longer routes - whether its to maintain service despite seasonality of demand, frequency, aircraft routing, etc. I also don't see the negative aspect of having an E175 over a 737, as a mere "MVP" on AS, I have better upgrade chances on an E175 compared to 737s.


I flew on the E-175 between SEA and ICT, RT. It was about 3-1/2 hour or so flight, but it was fine, especially in the E-175 1st class.
 
User avatar
b777900
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Also noticing that AS is planning on utilizing the E175 on very long routes that normally use 737s.


Such as?


Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


AS DOES not fly DAL -DCA anymore///..
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3392
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:31 pm

b777900 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Such as?


Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


AS DOES not fly DAL -DCA anymore///..


Nor do they fly DAL-DCA, but his point was the E175 has been used (past tense) on those routes.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
b777900 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


AS DOES not fly DAL -DCA anymore///..


Nor do they fly DAL-DCA, but his point was the E175 has been used (past tense) on those routes.


QX uses the E-175's between SEA-ANC. They used them on the PDX-ANC briefly.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5689
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

AS DOES not fly DAL -DCA anymore///..


Nor do they fly DAL-DCA, but his point was the E175 has been used (past tense) on those routes.


QX uses the E-175's between SEA-ANC. They used them on the PDX-ANC briefly.

They use it 1 flight a day just to rotate it south. They should rotate it on something like FAIPDX imo. Or even something more creative
 
jplatts
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc.


I had previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding SEA-DSM/TUL nonstop service using E-175 regional jets as AS would probably be able to easily fill an E-175 regional jet on these two routes if SEA-DSM/TUL demand were at pre-pandemic levels, and a post listing the PDEW's of these two routes (and some other top routes not currently served nonstop from SEA) can be found at viewtopic.php?t=1456065#p22581597.
 
AC4500
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:47 pm

jplatts wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc.


I had previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding SEA-DSM/TUL nonstop service using E-175 regional jets as AS would probably be able to easily fill an E-175 regional jet on these two routes if SEA-DSM/TUL demand were at pre-pandemic levels, and a post listing the PDEW's of these two routes (and some other top routes not currently served nonstop from SEA) can be found at viewtopic.php?t=1456065#p22581597.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/tulsa-a ... ac4c3.html

In 2018, the city of Tulsa was willing to offer $750,000 in federal grant money for nonstop SEA-TUL flights on AS. I don't know if $750K is a lot of money in terms of airline grants, but obviously AS never took up the opportunity, so I'm assuming that it wasn't enough to persuade them to launch the flights.
 
AC4500
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Also noticing that AS is planning on utilizing the E175 on very long routes that normally use 737s.


Such as?

I'll clarify what I meant to point out earlier---
AS has extended many of their longer E175 routes within the recent schedule update, in particular to/from PDX (i.e. PDX-AUS/DFW/ORD). Before COVID, these were normally 737 routes. I figured that during the winter months when the jetstream is stronger, they would go back to utilizing 737s on these routes (albeit, at lower frequencies) since more fuel is required on the westbound legs.

jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Such as?


Keep in mind that AS uses E-175's on the SEA-ICT route. They have used the E-175's on a lot of east-west routes like SAN-MSP, PDX-MSP, SEA-OMA, SEA-MKE, SEA/PDX-DAL, DAL-LGA, DAL-DCA, SEA-OKC, SEA-MCI, etc.

I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc. The E-175's do not have the legs to fly much further than that like SEA-CLE or SEA-MEM.


Yeah, that's my point for asking which routes. AS has historically used E175s on a number of longer routes - whether its to maintain service despite seasonality of demand, frequency, aircraft routing, etc. I also don't see the negative aspect of having an E175 over a 737, as a mere "MVP" on AS, I have better upgrade chances on an E175 compared to 737s.


I never mentioned a negative aspect to this, rather, it was just a mere observation within the schedule itself, that's all :) . In terms of comfort, I actually prefer the E175 over the 737, as there are no middle seats. What you mentioned about the MVP status upgrades makes sense as well...
 
jplatts
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm

AC4500 wrote:
https://tulsaworld.com/business/tulsa-airport-lands-grant-to-help-set-up-nonstop-flights-to-seattle/article_440ba2d9-1113-56e1-8236-44df448ac4c3.html

In 2018, the city of Tulsa was willing to offer $750,000 in federal grant money for nonstop SEA-TUL flights on AS. I don't know if $750K is a lot of money in terms of airline grants, but obviously AS never took up the opportunity, so I'm assuming that it wasn't enough to persuade them to launch the flights.


While AS didn't take advantage of the opportunity to add SEA-TUL nonstop service 3 years ago, AA has recently added TUL-AUS/MIA/DCA nonstop service. The possibility of AS adding SEA-TUL nonstop service is still there, especially with the recent adds that AA has made out of TUL along with AS's ability to tap into AA's FF base in the TUL market.
 
gmcc
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 am

Anyone know why N915AK jas been on the ground in KOKC for a week.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N915AK.

Might it be related to the new 2Ku dome certification? I hope so as it was delayed into service compared to its' siblings and I don't want it to be another 'Tinkerbell' who had a reputation as a hanger queen.
 
User avatar
itripreport
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:19 pm

gmcc wrote:
Anyone know why N915AK jas been on the ground in KOKC for a week.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N915AK.

Might it be related to the new 2Ku dome certification? I hope so as it was delayed into service compared to its' siblings and I don't want it to be another 'Tinkerbell' who had a reputation as a hanger queen.


I remember back during the MAX 9's inaugural flight, they gave me a timeline of September for the certification of the WiFi dome, which is hopefully why its in the hanger. Maybe then we'll finally see them make their way down to Florida.
 
RWRCAS
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 pm

gmcc wrote:
Anyone know why N915AK jas been on the ground in KOKC for a week.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N915AK.

Might it be related to the new 2Ku dome certification? I hope so as it was delayed into service compared to its' siblings and I don't want it to be another 'Tinkerbell' who had a reputation as a hanger queen.


It is 2KU MOD
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:39 am

Any idea why brand new Max N920AK was delivered straight from BFI to ANC and has been there for the past day and a half?
 
iAmAlaska49
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:06 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:
Any idea why brand new Max N920AK was delivered straight from BFI to ANC and has been there for the past day and a half?

They're installing equipment such as emergency equipment and oxygen bottles on it.
 
User avatar
b777900
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Any update on 321neo n927va? I see it is not flying anymore now 8 days it last flew SEA GSO?? is it being repainted?
 
RWRCAS
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:44 pm

b777900 wrote:
Any update on 321neo n927va? I see it is not flying anymore now 8 days it last flew SEA GSO?? is it being repainted?


Just some maintenance work, no paint.
 
gmcc
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:47 pm

b777900 wrote:
Any update on 321neo n927va? I see it is not flying anymore now 8 days it last flew SEA GSO?? is it being repainted?

If it is at GSO it is probably in for maintenance. General rule for AS based on past history is maintenance for AS is typically at KGSO and KOKC with paint at VCV. For QX maintenance E 175 go to KBNA and Q400 go to CYAM (Sault Ste. Marie).
 
User avatar
gunsontheroof
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm

I don't really get the aversion to E175 service on longer routes (i.e. a hypothetical SEA-TUL or SEA-DSM). They're a perfectly comfortable ride with no middle seats and right-sized for those routes. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a shot and make it work.
 
packmedic
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:03 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:23 am

AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I think the E-715's are good starter airplanes for medium-range flights if they were to open something like SEA-TUL, SEA-DSM, etc.


I had previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding SEA-DSM/TUL nonstop service using E-175 regional jets as AS would probably be able to easily fill an E-175 regional jet on these two routes if SEA-DSM/TUL demand were at pre-pandemic levels, and a post listing the PDEW's of these two routes (and some other top routes not currently served nonstop from SEA) can be found at viewtopic.php?t=1456065#p22581597.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/tulsa-a ... ac4c3.html

In 2018, the city of Tulsa was willing to offer $750,000 in federal grant money for nonstop SEA-TUL flights on AS. I don't know if $750K is a lot of money in terms of airline grants, but obviously AS never took up the opportunity, so I'm assuming that it wasn't enough to persuade them to launch the flights.


I have no idea if that's a lot of money in terms of airline grants either, but AS has previously stated that grants and subsidies (with the exception of Alaska EAS routes) do not factor into decision making on routes. A route has to have potential on its own before AS will add it. If there's a grant/subsidy attached to it, then that's just a nice bonus
 
trueblew
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:52 pm

packmedic wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I had previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding SEA-DSM/TUL nonstop service using E-175 regional jets as AS would probably be able to easily fill an E-175 regional jet on these two routes if SEA-DSM/TUL demand were at pre-pandemic levels, and a post listing the PDEW's of these two routes (and some other top routes not currently served nonstop from SEA) can be found at viewtopic.php?t=1456065#p22581597.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/tulsa-a ... ac4c3.html

In 2018, the city of Tulsa was willing to offer $750,000 in federal grant money for nonstop SEA-TUL flights on AS. I don't know if $750K is a lot of money in terms of airline grants, but obviously AS never took up the opportunity, so I'm assuming that it wasn't enough to persuade them to launch the flights.


I have no idea if that's a lot of money in terms of airline grants either, but AS has previously stated that grants and subsidies (with the exception of Alaska EAS routes) do not factor into decision making on routes. A route has to have potential on its own before AS will add it. If there's a grant/subsidy attached to it, then that's just a nice bonus


Any market would be certifiably stupid to offer AS any incentives if they indeed said that publicly.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 am

When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.
 
BangersAndMash
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:52 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.


And with AA recently launching ACV-PHX, it would make them both more competitive with UA.

Do they have enough Q-400s right now though? E175 might be a bit too much cost-wise.
 
gmcc
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:15 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.


And with AA recently launching ACV-PHX, it would make them both more competitive with UA.

Do they have enough Q-400s right now though? E175 might be a bit too much cost-wise.

While it might seem like a Q station, I think, if the decide fly it, AS might do an OO E175 since OO already flys there. Hope for a California milk run SEA-ACV-MRY-SBA-SAN, a great MR with a 500 mile min awarded per segment :bouncy:
 
Chugach
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm

gmcc wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.


And with AA recently launching ACV-PHX, it would make them both more competitive with UA.

Do they have enough Q-400s right now though? E175 might be a bit too much cost-wise.

While it might seem like a Q station, I think, if the decide fly it, AS might do an OO E175 since OO already flys there. Hope for a California milk run SEA-ACV-MRY-SBA-SAN, a great MR with a 500 mile min awarded per segment :bouncy:


Milk runs don’t award miles per segment.
 
gmcc
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Chugach wrote:
gmcc wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

And with AA recently launching ACV-PHX, it would make them both more competitive with UA.

Do they have enough Q-400s right now though? E175 might be a bit too much cost-wise.

While it might seem like a Q station, I think, if the decide fly it, AS might do an OO E175 since OO already flys there. Hope for a California milk run SEA-ACV-MRY-SBA-SAN, a great MR with a 500 mile min awarded per segment :bouncy:


Milk runs don’t award miles per segment.

Darn, I knew there was a flaw in my logic. Thanks for the info. Still might be an interesting route, AS could advertise it as the faster coast starlighter :D
https://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6633
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 pm

gmcc wrote:
Chugach wrote:
gmcc wrote:
While it might seem like a Q station, I think, if the decide fly it, AS might do an OO E175 since OO already flys there. Hope for a California milk run SEA-ACV-MRY-SBA-SAN, a great MR with a 500 mile min awarded per segment :bouncy:


Milk runs don’t award miles per segment.

Darn, I knew there was a flaw in my logic. Thanks for the info. Still might be an interesting route, AS could advertise it as the faster coast starlighter :D
https://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train


Pacific Airlines had a Martin 4-0-4 that flew something like LAX-Oxnard-SBA-Vandenburg AFB-Santa Maria-Paso Robles-Monterey-SJC-SFO.

That was more stops than the old Coast Daylight train made.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.


I remember seeing Horizon Dash 8s in ACV as a kid when we'd fly in there (mostly United Express/WestAir from SFO). I believe ACV was service to PDX with a stop in CEC or RDM?

QX later got a SCASD grant to fly to LAX as a round robin with RDM. Even PenAir operated ACV-PDX twice a day without subsidy and did OK. Would be nice to see Chester back there.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:22 pm

usxguy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
When will AS return to ACV from SEA??? Afterall, they fly to RDD now.


I remember seeing Horizon Dash 8s in ACV as a kid when we'd fly in there (mostly United Express/WestAir from SFO). I believe ACV was service to PDX with a stop in CEC or RDM?

QX later got a SCASD grant to fly to LAX as a round robin with RDM. Even PenAir operated ACV-PDX twice a day without subsidy and did OK. Would be nice to see Chester back there.


QX ACV service was nonstop PDX and one stop via RDD. Also to LAX for a spell.

Did a day at Eureka flying QX PDX RDD ACV then OO EM2 ACV PDX. Was a nice sunny day which is rare.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 pm

QX tried various routings involving ACV, starting with the DH8-100/200 on the PDX run. (I saw it landing once while at Patrick's Point State Park, but I don't know if it was a round robin then with another city.)
Later they ran the Q400 on round-robins with RDD: PDX-RDD-ACV-PDX and PDX-ACV-RDD-PDX. At some point I think SEA may have replaced PDX. At the end, they did LAX-ACV-RDD-LAX, LAX-ACV-RDD-PDX/SEA, LAX-RDD-ACV-north, etc.. On the LAX-ACV/RDD-north trips, they had overlaying flight numbers. eg. LAX-ACV-RDD as flt 123 and ACV-RDD-north as flt 456 so they didn't sell the LAX-north as a through flight. A fair amount of bussing from RDD to ACV when ACV fogged in.
Feel free to correct me as memory fades, and some of this started before I moved to the coast (CEC). [Way back in 1979-81, I worked pre-UAx WestAir at SMF with the C402 flying SFO-SMF-ACV-CEC and reverse, along with SFO-SMF-CIC-RDD. Between Valley tule fog and coastal fog, we ended up not knowing where the planes were going to end up, come back or cancel. Ugh....]
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:54 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
QX tried various routings involving ACV, starting with the DH8-100/200 on the PDX run. (I saw it landing once while at Patrick's Point State Park, but I don't know if it was a round robin then with another city.)
Later they ran the Q400 on round-robins with RDD: PDX-RDD-ACV-PDX and PDX-ACV-RDD-PDX. At some point I think SEA may have replaced PDX. At the end, they did LAX-ACV-RDD-LAX, LAX-ACV-RDD-PDX/SEA, LAX-RDD-ACV-north, etc.. On the LAX-ACV/RDD-north trips, they had overlaying flight numbers. eg. LAX-ACV-RDD as flt 123 and ACV-RDD-north as flt 456 so they didn't sell the LAX-north as a through flight. A fair amount of bussing from RDD to ACV when ACV fogged in.
Feel free to correct me as memory fades, and some of this started before I moved to the coast (CEC). [Way back in 1979-81, I worked pre-UAx WestAir at SMF with the C402 flying SFO-SMF-ACV-CEC and reverse, along with SFO-SMF-CIC-RDD. Between Valley tule fog and coastal fog, we ended up not knowing where the planes were going to end up, come back or cancel. Ugh....]


If you back to the 1970's, RW used to fly DC-9-30's between SFO and ACV, usually with a stop at RDD.
 
gravytrain
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:41 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15867
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:00 pm

gravytrain wrote:
Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?


2X daily service from SEA, LAX, SFO, SJC, and SAN using newly acquired B787-9 equipment, of course. ;)
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:29 pm

iAmAlaska49 wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
Any idea why brand new Max N920AK was delivered straight from BFI to ANC and has been there for the past day and a half?

They're installing equipment such as emergency equipment and oxygen bottles on it.


Plus software uploads... hours and hours of uploading AS's customized software suite.
 
Chugach
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
gravytrain wrote:
Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?


2X daily service from SEA, LAX, SFO, SJC, and SAN using newly acquired B787-9 equipment, of course. ;)


Further proof that AS is dehubbing PDX and going down to a schedule of 2x daily flights to SEA, both departing before 6:00 AM.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:45 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
gravytrain wrote:
Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?


2X daily service from SEA, LAX, SFO, SJC, and SAN using newly acquired B787-9 equipment, of course. ;)


I call your bluff. LOL!
 
Cardude2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:13 am

Chugach wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
gravytrain wrote:
Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?


2X daily service from SEA, LAX, SFO, SJC, and SAN using newly acquired B787-9 equipment, of course. ;)


Further proof that AS is dehubbing PDX and going down to a schedule of 2x daily flights to SEA, both departing before 6:00 AM.


And that it loves SFO!!
 
User avatar
Sig56
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:58 am

gravytrain wrote:
Alaska event in Glasgow UK next week. Anything know what that is to do with?

"Boeing's 737 MAX 9 ecoDemonstrator, the latest configuration in a decade-old test program, is set to fly to Glasgow ahead of a United Nations Climate Change Conference in November, a person familiar with the plan said."
https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/boeing-showcases-eco-friendly-tech-industry-faces-pressure-2021-09-27/
 
User avatar
Chasensfo
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:56 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
QX tried various routings involving ACV, starting with the DH8-100/200 on the PDX run. (I saw it landing once while at Patrick's Point State Park, but I don't know if it was a round robin then with another city.)
Later they ran the Q400 on round-robins with RDD: PDX-RDD-ACV-PDX and PDX-ACV-RDD-PDX. At some point I think SEA may have replaced PDX. At the end, they did LAX-ACV-RDD-LAX, LAX-ACV-RDD-PDX/SEA, LAX-RDD-ACV-north, etc.. On the LAX-ACV/RDD-north trips, they had overlaying flight numbers. eg. LAX-ACV-RDD as flt 123 and ACV-RDD-north as flt 456 so they didn't sell the LAX-north as a through flight. A fair amount of bussing from RDD to ACV when ACV fogged in.
Feel free to correct me as memory fades, and some of this started before I moved to the coast (CEC). [Way back in 1979-81, I worked pre-UAx WestAir at SMF with the C402 flying SFO-SMF-ACV-CEC and reverse, along with SFO-SMF-CIC-RDD. Between Valley tule fog and coastal fog, we ended up not knowing where the planes were going to end up, come back or cancel. Ugh....]

In the 1990s, Horizon also used CEC and OTH as en route stops from PDX as well.

When I did UAX customer service in the late 2000s, the Horizon flights were usually the only possible way to get passengers who misconnected or had a cancellation to RDD/ACV home (CEC sometimes, too). During peak seasons, the ACV/RDD/CEC flights were all very full and also usually weight restricted to 26-28 pax (sometimes more or less) out of 30 seats on the EMB-120. No way to fit extra pax/bags, so we'd usually send them up to PDX to then take a Q400 on Horizon down to ACV (also useful for CEC pax as only UAX flew there at the time) or RDD. As UAX flew SMF-ACV/CEC at that time, there were plenty of pax being flown around creatively during IROPS. Stuff like SFO-SMF-ACV on an EMB-120 then ACV-RDD on a Q400 or SFO-CEC-SMF to get to SMF after SMF canceled (non-American pax traveling in from long haul flights rarely wanted to deal with renting a car and driving 2 hours if we could fly them there, domestic travelers would usually rather drive). Too bad those flights aren't around anymore, they were very handy. Some of the multi-stop routes actually even connected SFO to SEA via different flight numbers but the same aircraft (and usually the same crew). I used to sneak commuting employees on those flights when SFO-SEA/PDX was oversold. Too bad since then these routes have more or less gone away with AS/UA.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:49 am

And while the ECO-demonstrator is there, oh by the way, non stop to SEA flights announced! Just kidding, but it would be out of way far left field. I don’t think the MAX even has the range for it. Unless it stops in New York.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:13 am

Looks like Saturday night's OAG load included AS extending their skeds thru mid-March (16th) now. It appears -- from a quick glance -- that cuts from Jan-Feb are pretty much extended another month forward... I wouldn't have expected a dramatic improvement in air traffic between February and early March.

I also see that DL has announced SAN-BOS to start next July.... (along with other routes out of BOS but none that should bother AS.) But even though it's only SAN, AS can't be too pleased about that -- that puts 3 cx on SAN-BOS (the 3rd of course is B6.)

bb
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 am

Does anyone know of any more planes that are due for a repaint?
 
Cardude2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:01 am

SXDFC wrote:
Does anyone know of any more planes that are due for a repaint?


for 738:

in the old livery
N546AS
N520AS
N528AS

in old lei
N532AS
N538AS

N559AS (Salmon Thirty Salmon II)
N560AS (/Spirit of the Islands)

for 739 NON-ER

N318AS (Spirit of Disneyland II)

for Q400

N400QX (University of Idaho​)
N402QX (University of Montana)
N401QX (Washington State University)
N403QX (Montana State University)
N437QX (Boise State University)
N440QX (Oregon State University)
 
N755US
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:54 pm

Cardude2 wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Does anyone know of any more planes that are due for a repaint?


for 738:

in the old livery
N546AS
N520AS
N528AS

in old lei
N532AS
N538AS

N559AS (Salmon Thirty Salmon II)
N560AS (/Spirit of the Islands)

for 739 NON-ER

N318AS (Spirit of Disneyland II)

for Q400

N400QX (University of Idaho​)
N402QX (University of Montana)
N401QX (Washington State University)
N403QX (Montana State University)
N437QX (Boise State University)
N440QX (Oregon State University)



N520AS entered VCV for paint on 9/26 and N528AS exited VCV that same day after repaint.
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Hopefully soon Salmon Thirty Salmon will have the updated logo. Although I haven’t seen any close up shots, the paint still looks good for being almost 10 years old.
 
Cardude2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:01 pm

N755US wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Does anyone know of any more planes that are due for a repaint?


for 738:

in the old livery
N546AS
N520AS
N528AS

in old lei
N532AS
N538AS

N559AS (Salmon Thirty Salmon II)
N560AS (/Spirit of the Islands)

for 739 NON-ER

N318AS (Spirit of Disneyland II)

for Q400

N400QX (University of Idaho​)
N402QX (University of Montana)
N401QX (Washington State University)
N403QX (Montana State University)
N437QX (Boise State University)
N440QX (Oregon State University)



N520AS entered VCV for paint on 9/26 and N528AS exited VCV that same day after repaint.


Ah so photo soon. And I guess N546AS, Alaska's first and oldest 737-800, is the last one in the proper old livery.
 
jgcotter
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:36 pm

Alaska B738 N532AS is en route from SEA to VCV for repainting.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N532AS
 
jgcotter
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 pm

Alaska B738 N520AS is en route from VCV to SEA following repainting.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N520AS
 
Cardude2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:05 pm

for 738:

in the old livery
N546AS
Image

in old lei
N532AS
(IN VCV CURRENTLY FOR REPAINT)
N538AS
Image

N559AS (Salmon Thirty Salmon II)
Image
N560AS (/Spirit of the Islands)
Image

for 739 NON-ER

N318AS (Spirit of Disneyland II)
Image

for Q400

N400QX (University of Idaho​)
Image
N402QX (University of Montana)
Image
N401QX (Washington State University)
Image
N403QX (Montana State University)
Image
N437QX (Boise State University)
Image
N440QX (Oregon State University)
Image
Last edited by Cardude2 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos