Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sfojvjets

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Outside of them getting a little old these days, I think they'll stick around longer than you think. But they are a fun ride. I had thought what QX would replace the Q400's. More E175's? Maybe ATR's?

I'd love to see ATRs in the fleet... but that only seems realistic if they are making a long-term investment in their short-haul connectivity/frequency and are fine with having a differentiated fleet along with maintenance, etc. The sole difference configuration-wise between the E175s and Q400s is that the former are 3-class while the latter are 1-class. Other than that their capacities are the same. Given that they seem to be investing a fair amount in their E175 fleet, I think the logical step is to simply have them replace the Q400s. The only issue would be if there are any restrictions (maybe field length, for example?) in terms of airports they operate into that would necessitate ATRs versus the 175...

32andBelow

Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
msp747 wrote:
I am curious about the future of the Q400 as well. First they announced plans to significantly reduce their fleet, but then later they slowed retirements and brought some of the planes back. I know part of that had to do with MAX issues, but I feel like the increased focus on the Pacific Northwest also impacted the decision. With the recent order for more E175s, does anyone know if AS has made a decision on what to do with the Q medium/long-term?

I have no inside information, but it looks like they're being relegated to intra-PNW routes and are probably in the process of being phased out. I don't think we'd be seeing mainline metal on PDX-SEA several times a day if that wasn't the game plan. I'd also speculate that their absence from PAE (say, PAE-BOI/GEG) suggests that their days are numbered. Quite a shame--they're a fun ride on a short hop.

Outside of them getting a little old these days, I think they'll stick around longer than you think. But they are a fun ride. I had thought what QX would replace the Q400's. More E175's? Maybe ATR's?

I don’t see any reason for them to get more 72 seat props since that’s what the e75 has. Maybe atr42s to really take over alaska flying and smaller routes from sea and PDX. But I doubt it.

wedgetail737

Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

I have no inside information, but it looks like they're being relegated to intra-PNW routes and are probably in the process of being phased out. I don't think we'd be seeing mainline metal on PDX-SEA several times a day if that wasn't the game plan. I'd also speculate that their absence from PAE (say, PAE-BOI/GEG) suggests that their days are numbered. Quite a shame--they're a fun ride on a short hop.

I don’t see any reason for them to get more 72 seat props since that’s what the e75 has. Maybe atr42s to really take over alaska flying and smaller routes from sea and PDX. But I doubt it.

If QX really does decide to retire the Q400's, is it really cost-effective for QX to continue flying to places like Yakima, Wenatchee, Pullman, Walla Walla, etc.

Although AS is starting two Q400 routes from SEA...RDD and IDA.

AC4500

Sun May 23, 2021 10:39 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

If QX really does decide to retire the Q400's, is it really cost-effective for QX to continue flying to places like Yakima, Wenatchee, Pullman, Walla Walla, etc.

That's why Alaska is keeping them around for as long as possible. Similar logic can be said as to why UA is keeping around the CRJ-200s, (sidenote: UA offers a lot more essential air service markets than AA and DL do, hence why UA is keeping the CRJ-200s around while both AA and DL are quickly getting rid of them).

Problem is, there really is no viable new regional 50-seat aircraft on the market right now. I suspect (just a theory), that getting access to ATR's would be very difficult for AS/QX, as I would think that other regional U.S. airlines like SkyWest would have already acquired some by now.

As demand continues to recover, smaller communities are going to need essential air service markets again, and QX/OO cannot feasibly fly the E175 to those small airports. I believe this was the reason why MMH was axed from Alaska's destination network. As the Q400 bases narrowed down to just SEA/PDX, LAX-MMH had to be cut. SEA-MMH is too long for the Q400 and PDX-MMH is possibly doable distance-wise, but it's probably not a strong enough market to warrant a direct flight on.

gunsontheroof

Sun May 23, 2021 11:03 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Although AS is starting two Q400 routes from SEA...RDD and IDA.

A question worth asking, but QX is the only show in town at YKM, EAT, PUW and ALW. Those routes have been around for a long time and I'd be surprised to see them dropped from the network if AAG drops the Q entirely. A number of them (close to half the fleet, I think) are under fifteen years old but and imagine many (anyone feel free to correct me on this) are paid for. I'd be surprised to see a wholesale replacement with E175s given their potential to open long, thin routes not currently in the network (MSN, TUL, etc)

32andBelow

Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

That's why Alaska is keeping them around for as long as possible. Similar logic can be said as to why UA is keeping around the CRJ-200s, (sidenote: UA offers a lot more essential air service markets than AA and DL do, hence why UA is keeping the CRJ-200s around while both AA and DL are quickly getting rid of them).

Problem is, there really is no viable new regional 50-seat aircraft on the market right now. I suspect (just a theory), that getting access to ATR's would be very difficult for AS/QX, as I would think that other regional U.S. airlines like SkyWest would have already acquired some by now.

As demand continues to recover, smaller communities are going to need essential air service markets again, and QX/OO cannot feasibly fly the E175 to those small airports. I believe this was the reason why MMH was axed from Alaska's destination network. As the Q400 bases narrowed down to just SEA/PDX, LAX-MMH had to be cut. SEA-MMH is too long for the Q400 and PDX-MMH is possibly doable distance-wise, but it's probably not a strong enough market to warrant a direct flight on.

I thought they canceled it cus their completion rate was so low due to the approach’s and equipment in the q

gmcc

Mon May 24, 2021 5:14 pm

LAX traveler alert. Saw a little note under the travel advisory section of the web at ALL international flight will be arriving at TBIT from May 20, 2021. That will mean extra connection time at LAX for incoming
international AS flights

Wingtips56

Tue May 25, 2021 12:07 am

Yikes. That's a long haul down the pike for domestic connections from T-6. But then I'll be doing that anyway next February, connecting from QR to QX. At least my bags will be rechecked at TBIT, so I don't have to drag them down the street.

PITFlyer330

Tue May 25, 2021 12:21 am

Wingtips56

Tue May 25, 2021 12:27 am

PITFlyer330 wrote:

Well that shows no plans to reduce the Q400 count through 2023.

wedgetail737

Tue May 25, 2021 2:31 am

Maybe the additional E-175's mean more secondary cities in the west and midwest? Or additional segments?

SANFan

Tue May 25, 2021 2:39 am

Speaking of AS's fleet news, can anyone update me on the MAX situation: SAN has 3/day (all to SEA this time) on the current May 20 schedule but less than a month away, the June 17 schedule currently shows 0 MAXs at SAN, or at LAX.

I'm puzzled. Are the MAXs undergoing something (radar installations?, wiring re-dos?, ???) and will again be pulled out of service next month, or are they off the intro routes and running other routes? (I don't see any out of SAN to anywhere in June.) Or is AS placing the new birds in the schedules closer in (at the last minute) simply replacing 739ERs? (I thought they had been scheduling them at least a month out recently.)

I maybe saw that they were expected to start flying to Hawaii in July? Anyone know if the MAX can take off from SAN and make the flights west? (I know the 739ERs can't.)

Thanx in advance for any help on the topic.

bb

SANFan

Tue May 25, 2021 2:51 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe the additional E-175's mean more secondary cities in the west and midwest? Or additional segments?

Orrrrrrr, just maybe (cough cough *SAN-LAX* cough)?

Since most all intra-CA flights are now flown with EMJs, I could certainly see added frequencies in many of those markets, I mean in addition to the SAN-LAX ones of course... LOL!

Also, I still think it's just a matter of time before AS enters the LAS and PHX markets from their CA hubs; these seem to me long over-due. (Yes, I know AA serves all cities to PHX already but I think AS would like their own metal on some of the flights in the markets. Doubtful but we must consider that AA might surrender some of their PHX routes to AS too...)

I don't think AAG will have any difficulty putting as many EMJs as they can get to good use over the next couple of years! (As I've mentioned before, I have a nice long list if AS needs any potential routes to consider -- just call!)

bb

gmcc

Tue May 25, 2021 3:22 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Yikes. That's a long haul down the pike for domestic connections from T-6. But then I'll be doing that anyway next February, connecting from QR to QX. At least my bags will be rechecked at TBIT, so I don't have to drag them down the street.

On the bright side it doesn't appear to be permanent phase 1 , around gate 66 and 68A which i believe has the new bus gate and FIS connections in it, of the T6 renovations scheduled be done by July 2022 according to LAWA, page 19 and 20.
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=49675

WkndWanderer

Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Can anyone provide an update on the 2Ku wifi rollout for the 900ER fleet? Have all frames been completed?

ATSS

Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 pm

Four planes left per the weebly site.

wedgetail737

Wed May 26, 2021 12:25 am

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Since most all intra-CA flights are now flown with EMJs, I could certainly see added frequencies in many of those markets, I mean in addition to the SAN-LAX ones of course... LOL!

Also, I still think it's just a matter of time before AS enters the LAS and PHX markets from their CA hubs; these seem to me long over-due. (Yes, I know AA serves all cities to PHX already but I think AS would like their own metal on some of the flights in the markets. Doubtful but we must consider that AA might surrender some of their PHX routes to AS too...)

I don't think AAG will have any difficulty putting as many EMJs as they can get to good use over the next couple of years! (As I've mentioned before, I have a nice long list if AS needs any potential routes to consider -- just call!)

bb

AS will hold off on the LAX-SAN segment just because they saw your entry into this thread. LOL! Who knows...it's not guarantee until they announce it.

AS flew the LAS-LAX segment briefly, if I remember correctly.

SANFan

Wed May 26, 2021 12:52 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

AS will hold off on the LAX-SAN segment just because they saw your entry into this thread. LOL! Who knows...it's not guarantee until they announce it.

AS flew the LAS-LAX segment briefly, if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, AS actually flies both LA and SFO to LV multi-daily today; both were Virgin routes which have stuck and I don't think SAN-LV is too far off. AS also flies SFO-PHX already.

bb

sfojvjets

Wed May 26, 2021 1:02 am

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

What seems most logical to me is that these Embraers will mostly be used to up frequencies across the west coast. One thing I will point out is that they are relatively weak regionally destination-wise from SFO, whereas other CA hubs/focus cities such as SAN/LAX have much better connectivity. I owe this largely to UA's unwavering dominance at SFO but if AS decided to invest more here, with the added threat of B6, I could see an expansion of the regional network at SFO. The more likely thing is that they'll simply add regional frequencies network-wide.

Also, about service from LAS & PHX to AS's California hubs, AS already operates LAS-SFO/LAX and PHX-SFO. So while I could see them adding SAN from LAS/PHX or LAX from PHX for the reasons you point out, my guess is that they don't care to be entangled in a fare war with WN when they already have AA as an established presence in all of these markets.

AS has also got to be very decisive about what markets it cares to defend and what doesn't really matter. Hawaii flying especially from California is and will be threatened by WN, so I'd be interested in seeing what could happen. As we have seen with SFO, they elected to cut back and just cede KOA/LIH directly to UA. This time around, I don't think they'll take the easy way out.

Wneast

Wed May 26, 2021 1:08 am

sfojvjets wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

What seems most logical to me is that these Embraers will mostly be used to up frequencies across the west coast. One thing I will point out is that they are relatively weak regionally destination-wise from SFO, whereas other CA hubs/focus cities such as SAN/LAX have much better connectivity. I owe this largely to UA's unwavering dominance at SFO but if AS decided to invest more here, with the added threat of B6, I could see an expansion of the regional network at SFO. The more likely thing is that they'll simply add regional frequencies network-wide.

Also, about service from LAS & PHX to AS's California hubs, AS already operates LAS-SFO/LAX and PHX-SFO. So while I could see them adding SAN from LAS/PHX or LAX from PHX for the reasons you point out, my guess is that they don't care to be entangled in a fare war with WN when they already have AA as an established presence in all of these markets.

AS has also got to be very decisive about what markets it cares to defend and what doesn't really matter. Hawaii flying especially from California is and will be threatened by WN, so I'd be interested in seeing what could happen. As we have seen with SFO, they elected to cut back and just cede KOA/LIH directly to UA. This time around, I don't think they'll take the easy way out.

I don’t know what there Hawaii plan might be it might be limited aircraft look at this article form today I’m pretty sure this is what they think is a response to WN https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-ai ... ute-boost/ to me that’s not much of a response to them just upping lax to KOA and LIH to daily

Boiler905

Wed May 26, 2021 1:55 am

Wneast wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I don’t know what there Hawaii plan might be it might be limited aircraft look at this article form today I’m pretty sure this is what they think is a response to WN https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-ai ... ute-boost/ to me that’s not much of a response to them just upping lax to KOA and LIH to daily

When was the last time we saw AS respond aggressively?

The SLC influx in response to DL building up its SEA hub?

From what I can see, the folks currently at AS don't seem to have aggressive response in their DNA

Wneast

Wed May 26, 2021 2:50 am

Boiler905 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

From what I can see, the folks currently at AS don't seem to have aggressive response in their DNA

I’m not trying to be rude but the last time I Renner them aggressively expanding was when the bought virgin America and went all out in California vs WN

jbs2886

Wed May 26, 2021 3:03 am

Wneast wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I’m not trying to be rude but the last time I Renner them aggressively expanding was when the bought virgin America and went all out in California vs WN

I think there are two different discussions - being aggressive versus aggressive responses. Yes, AS was aggressive in CA expansion after the acquisition. But, AS generally has not done aggressive responses to other airlines, with the notable exception in my mind if the SLC routes when DL pushed into SEA hard. Otherwise AS typically makes some minor adds/adjustments. Frankly I think AS executes it’s strategy well so it generally doesn’t need to do these tit-for-tat responses.

ucdtim17

Wed May 26, 2021 3:49 am

Alaska’s big build up in California mostly skipped over the secondary airports where Southwest flies hundreds of 737s a day (SMF, OAK, BUR, ONT, SNA, LGB). AS has a smattering of E175 flights in comparison. I don’t know the numbers but I assume WN still dominates on intra-CA traffic.

wedgetail737

Wed May 26, 2021 4:21 am

sfojvjets wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

I think we could see AS opening additional routes to the smaller places throughout the west...like MRY-PDX, or add frequency to existing routes like SAN-BZN, SBP-SEA, SBA-SEA, etc. They could also open up a few more midwest cities like DSM and TUL.

NameOmitted

Wed May 26, 2021 4:28 am

No change in the freighter fleet.

What do we make of the 10 A321s? Is 10 large enough to maintain a subfleet on its own much past 12.23?

jbs2886

Wed May 26, 2021 4:33 am

NameOmitted wrote:

What do we make of the 10 A321s? Is 10 large enough to maintain a subfleet on its own much past 12.23?

If you’ve got expensive leases that are costly to get out of early and the fleet suits it’s purpose. Yea, I’m sure 10 is enough. Alaska clearly thinks so.

I would like to see more freighters.

airplaneboy

Wed May 26, 2021 5:25 am

Alaska is at a disadvantage in intra-CA with their higher CASM regional jet fleet flying the bulk of the schedule. Pre-covid they were unable to compete on frequency, however that aspect has changed in a couple intra-CA markets during Covid. WN still flies more *seats* in every market they compete in. Even with their recent MAX order (which is mostly replacing the A320 fleet that is slowly being retired as we speak), their mainline fleet is not growing much during the next couple of years (I might be incorrect, but this is what I remember based on the recent updates I’ve seen). It seems like their CA strategy is to just maintain status quo on intra-CA (high frequency E175 service) to continue striving for market relevance, but their aircraft choice can’t compete on CASM to WN’s larger mainline aircraft. It’s the best way for AS to maintain #2 without losing their shirt so to speak. The flying is outsourced (which is great for some of the cost), although their ability to profit with the 76 seaters against WN’s much bigger seat-share is minimal or nil. Nonetheless it allows them to stay relevant and keep other competitors from competing for number 2 in intra-CA.

One notable advantage AS has with their growing regional fleet (and lack of pilot scope clause at mainline) is their ability to use the E175s for thin west coast markets without competition. I think this, along with their fortresses (and local customer allegiance) in Alaska, SEA and PDX are what allows them to remain viable. WN had a growing presence in PDX prior to Covid and still remains #2 there I believe, but in SEA and Alaska - AS will continue to prosper.

gmcc

Wed May 26, 2021 9:13 pm

Reprint in the ADN from the Seattle Times. The most interesting part is that two gates in N will be reworked to allow American 787s and 777 to use them.
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/20 ... er-travel/

RWA380

Wed May 26, 2021 10:50 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
NameOmitted wrote:

The decisions have been made about Airbus & it's future flying for AS. No, it's not at all profitable to run a sub-fleet for ten aircraft. I am not at liberty to discuss details, but I've heard that AS or the lessor can find homes for the A-321neo's very easily & It's rumored up to half of them may be spoken for already. I know not when they'll exit the fleet, AS has had a difficult time finding the suitable markets to run them. But both AS & passengers enjoy the aircraft.

The A-321 was supposed to fly Hawaii routes at one point, in fact the F/A's were told it would be happening. The majority, if not all of the A-320's are still parked as the MAX's start coming in rapid delivery style. AS didn't take "Proudly All Boeing" off their existing 737's because they knew what way they would go.

The Pandemic sadly played well for AS, they have chipped away the majority of their Airbuses & what is left, remains mostly parked. AS does not want to operate the type & haven't made any real moves to claim those birds other than wash off the Virgin branding ASAP. AS dumped a ton of money into refurb's & paint with decals, but stopped paying fees to Virgin.

For several people guessing routes, a few of you are correct, wait for AS to add a few cities, but more strengthen their existing network. I'd expect the huge amount of E-175''s to replace some Q-400's, but there are some stations that the Q-400 is great for. SEA-EUG/MFR/RDM & PDX-MFR/RDM. Plus the new RDD & IDA flights are courtesy of ERJ's running more routes that used to be only Q's.

AS in the 5 year, if anyone remembers, wanted to really position itself with CA. They are adding new routes out of MT, ID, OR & WA. They are slowly connecting some overdue dots, plus adding back, only what fits today in 2021.

AS will NOT be conservative as it was under Tilden, which as a stockholder could make one nervous, but I fully expect AS to stay relevant to Hawaii, the MAX will likely fly one or two inland routes, maybe BOI or GEG, for example. Watch AS test the limits of the MAX 9 in regards to range.

We are fortunate here in RDM, AS has n/s service to SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX & SEA (it sure gave us lots of connecting opportunities flying to LAS & HI) & also giving us multiple connecting opportunities to the entire AS system.

I think MFR & EUG may see more South bound service. I am confident PDX is not being ignored by AS despite one or two pessimists, the year is looking far brighter than even 5 months ago. Be sure to watch AS go back to shorter advance notice on new services (remember they were announcing a year out, just two years ago?). The 900 & MAX 9 will be the backbone of the AS fleet & the ERJ will be QX's. but the Q-400 does have an important role still for QX.

Also a few people had intimated that QX may buy 50 seat props, just NO! the Q-200's were dropped purposely, with QX well aware they'd be dropping stations, like PDT, ACV, RDD & LMT. Some feel it's a mistake to ignore these smaller places, but QX disagrees. In fact I'd lay good money that QX never buys another prop aircraft again, nor lease one, except to replace a Q-400 in fleet that may be lost & it'll be sourced from their lessor.

Wneast

Wed May 26, 2021 11:10 pm

RWA380 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
NameOmitted wrote:

The decisions have been made about Airbus & it's future flying for AS. No, it's not at all profitable to run a sub-fleet for ten aircraft. I am not at liberty to discuss details, but I've heard that AS or the lessor can find homes for the A-321neo's very easily & It's rumored up to half of them may be spoken for already. I know not when they'll exit the fleet, AS has had a difficult time finding the suitable markets to run them. But both AS & passengers enjoy the aircraft.

The A-321 was supposed to fly Hawaii routes at one point, in fact the F/A's were told it would be happening. The majority, if not all of the A-320's are still parked as the MAX's start coming in rapid delivery style. AS didn't take "Proudly All Boeing" off their existing 737's because they knew what way they would go.

The Pandemic sadly played well for AS, they have chipped away the majority of their Airbuses & what is left, remains mostly parked. AS does not want to operate the type & haven't made any real moves to claim those birds other than wash off the Virgin branding ASAP. AS dumped a ton of money into refurb's & paint with decals, but stopped paying fees to Virgin.

For several people guessing routes, a few of you are correct, wait for AS to add a few cities, but more strengthen their existing network. I'd expect the huge amount of E-175''s to replace some Q-400's, but there are some stations that the Q-400 is great for. SEA-EUG/MFR/RDM & PDX-MFR/RDM. Plus the new RDD & IDA flights are courtesy of ERJ's running more routes that used to be only Q's.

AS in the 5 year, if anyone remembers, wanted to really position itself with CA. They are adding new routes out of MT, ID, OR & WA. They are slowly connecting some overdue dots, plus adding back, only what fits today in 2021.

AS will NOT be conservative as it was under Tilden, which as a stockholder could make one nervous, but I fully expect AS to stay relevant to Hawaii, the MAX will likely fly one or two inland routes, maybe BOI or GEG, for example. Watch AS test the limits of the MAX 9 in regards to range.

We are fortunate here in RDM, AS has n/s service to SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX & SEA (it sure gave us lots of connecting opportunities flying to LAS & HI) & also giving us multiple connecting opportunities to the entire AS system.

I think MFR & EUG may see more South bound service. I am confident PDX is not being ignored by AS despite one or two pessimists, the year is looking far brighter than even 5 months ago. Be sure to watch AS go back to shorter advance notice on new services (remember they were announcing a year out, just two years ago?). The 900 & MAX 9 will be the backbone of the AS fleet & the ERJ will be QX's. but the Q-400 does have an important role still for QX.

Also a few people had intimated that QX may buy 50 seat props, just NO! the Q-200's were dropped purposely, with QX well aware they'd be dropping stations, like PDT, ACV, RDD & LMT. Some feel it's a mistake to ignore these smaller places, but QX disagrees. In fact I'd lay good money that QX never buys another prop aircraft again, nor lease one, except to replace a Q-400 in fleet that may be lost & it'll be sourced from their lessor.

Are you saying they most likely will try GEG or BOI to Hawaii with the max 9 ?

RWA380

Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 am

Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
NameOmitted wrote:

I am not saying they will most likely try those markets, but I know that this new CEO is a big thinker, he was hired by the board to proceed into a growth phase with a desire for fresh ideas, while fortifying hub cities. There is nothing that is official, but if they do decided to, we will know with 6 mo's lead time or less, IMHO.

I also know that both BOI & GEG are important markets for AAG, but both airports are not dominated by AAG & I am quite sure they'd like to change that. I believe a bold move is in order. AS is always interested in growing any mid to large sized cities in the PNW & California.

AS is adding all 4 Islands n/s from LAX now, they are trying to capture some connecting traffic from LAS & other like places via LAX, even their MT cities or Oregon cities, are an option, I prefer PDX, but out of RDM (my home airport), our PDX flight is once a day & not great for connections other than the West Coast. I would like to see someone fly BUR-HNL on a 73G which AS has, but they're not equipped for HI operations.

Maybe Avelo or XP, will bring one of their New Haven based 73G's to BUR & one 738 can go to HVN for closer in flights requiring light fuel to get out of HVN, then they could operate a daily or 2x/2x /3x weekly series of BUR-HNL/OGG/KOA flights?

I'd more expect WN to convert a few 73G's & announce SNA & BUR to all 4 Islands, but that's not happening either, UA is already on SNA-HNL with their 73G's

Wneast

Thu May 27, 2021 12:21 am

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

I am not saying they will most likely try those markets, but I know that this new CEO is a big thinker, he was hired by the board to proceed into a growth phase with a desire for fresh ideas, while fortifying hub cities. There is nothing that is official, but if they do decided to, we will know with 6 mo's lead time or less, IMHO.

I also know that both BOI & GEG are important markets for AAG, but both airports are not dominated by AAG & I am quite sure they'd like to change that. I believe a bold move is in order. AS is always interested in growing any mid to large sized cities in the PNW & California.

AS is adding all 4 Islands n/s from LAX now, they are trying to capture some connecting traffic from LAS & other like places via LAX, even their MT cities or Oregon cities, are an option, I prefer PDX, but out of RDM (my home airport), our PDX flight is once a day & not great for connections other than the West Coast. I would like to see someone fly BUR-HNL on a 73G which AS has, but they're not equipped for HI operations.

Maybe Avelo or XP, will bring one of their New Haven based 73G's to BUR & one 738 can go to HVN for closer in flights requiring light fuel to get out of HVN, then they could operate a daily or 2x/2x /3x weekly series of BUR-HNL/OGG/KOA flights?

I'd more expect WN to convert a few 73G's & announce SNA & BUR to all 4 Islands, but that's not happening either, UA is already on SNA-HNL with their 73G's

WN is using the max etops coming next summer for SNA and BUR

Wneast

Thu May 27, 2021 1:31 am

Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

WN is using the max 7 etops coming next summer for SNA and BUR

seahawks7757

Thu May 27, 2021 3:26 am

So the next Alaska 737-9 MAX will be a Special, not much but three mountains are very clear on this. Unfortunately with distance and heat haze, not the greatest, but just got to take what you can get sometimes. This one surprised me when it just showed up at BFI the other day. This frame was originally going to Corendon, PH-CDK, line 7503. Registration will be N979AK.

ImageN979AK Alaska Airlines 737-9 MAX by Brandon Farris

32andBelow

Thu May 27, 2021 4:51 am

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

Y’all need to take over in Alaska and expand. Akn and dlg should be multiple with KS gone in the summer. And ENA and HOM should be on AS metal. With KS and RAVN (the old ravn) gone these markets need to be solidified.

ASFlyer

Thu May 27, 2021 5:42 am

RWA380 wrote:

I'm not saying the 321's aren't leaving the fleet, Alaska has as much as said that the MAX is their future. That said, they have them written into the fleet plan well into the future. While they were supposed to be flying to Hawaii back when VX first ordered them, AS has managed to find routes where they seem to work well. SEA-FLL/MCO/BOS/JFK/PVR are all examples of routes that have worked well on the 321. As for the 320s, AS just announced that 7more lines of A320 flying will be added in the near future. They aren't sticking around for the long term but there are plenty of them flying right now.

Ishrion

Thu May 27, 2021 6:06 am

Alaska loaded its Belize City flights tonight.

- 4x weekly LAX
- 2x weekly SEA

Begins November 19.

jplatts

Thu May 27, 2021 4:00 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
PDX has always had a bug up their rear that they should have n/s service to every city that SEA does. Facts are that AS has tried many routes out of PDX over the years that just couldn't cut it. The ones that make a profit remain...the ones that lose too much money don't. If a ULCC like NK can't make a route work then I'd say it isn't going to happen. AS's costs are a bit higher but have a bigger draw due to their mileage plan...giving them an advantage over everyone else. That said, AS says they'll be showing PDX some new love but we've all heard that before.

There are a few destinations not currently served out of PDX on any airline that might be able to support nonstop service out of PDX on AS such as IND, RDU, SAT, and TPA.

I had mentioned the possibility of WN re-adding PDX-HOU nonstop service or AS adding PDX-IAH nonstop service in the Houston Aviation Thread with PDX-Houston currently lacking nonstop competition along with the FF base that AS has in Greater Portland. There were some individuals who have mentioned the possibility of AS adding PDX-IAH nonstop service in the Houston Aviation Thread in response to my post, and their responses can be found at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456185#p22714939.

seahawks7757

Thu May 27, 2021 4:42 pm

seahawks7757 wrote:
So the next Alaska 737-9 MAX will be a Special, not much but three mountains are very clear on this. Unfortunately with distance and heat haze, not the greatest, but just got to take what you can get sometimes. This one surprised me when it just showed up at BFI the other day. This frame was originally going to Corendon, PH-CDK, line 7503. Registration will be N979AK.

So sounds like this is going to be the next ecodemonstrator aircraft according to Jon Ostrower!

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 32839?s=21

palouse

Thu May 27, 2021 10:07 pm

Looks like Alaska will be starting 5x weekly flights from Pullman/Moscow Regional Airport to Boise in August. Backed with a subsidy from the University of Idaho.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/educa ... 22bbfe2538

RWA380

Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

I'm not saying the 321's aren't leaving the fleet, Alaska has as much as said that the MAX is their future. That said, they have them written into the fleet plan well into the future. While they were supposed to be flying to Hawaii back when VX first ordered them, AS has managed to find routes where they seem to work well. SEA-FLL/MCO/BOS/JFK/PVR are all examples of routes that have worked well on the 321. As for the 320s, AS just announced that 7more lines of A320 flying will be added in the near future. They aren't sticking around for the long term but there are plenty of them flying right now.

Sure, I know in the interim, if summer bookings keep happening at this rate, AS will fly every aircraft they have available to add more. But this isn't that summer yet. I know 320ceo's are not of any interest to AAG, unless it's to infill, they won't be expanding routes with the A-320 as it's again, as you said, not a long term aircraft.

I should have said that AAG has it's hands restricted with the longevity of the A-321 leases, but I also know most airlines weigh the cost of ending a contract early vs running a small subfleet of aircraft temporarily. I think it's already amazing how many A-320's & A-319's were weeded out so quickly.

But what amazes me more, is the commitment to Embraer for a decent sized order of E-175's & the major commitment to the MAX 9 for it's future fleet plans. When the 797 comes, I expect AS to be a launch customer.

ASFlyer

Thu May 27, 2021 11:08 pm

RWA380 wrote:
When the 797 comes, I expect AS to be a launch customer.

That would be a welcome change from 6 hour flights on a cramped 737, although it remains to be seen what the 797 will look like.

airlinepeanuts

Thu May 27, 2021 11:29 pm

I think the Q400s are here to stay for a while. They break even with like 30 pax on them and the amount of segments QX can do on them and turnaround time make it a great workhorse. It also allows them to enter and grow small markets. Look at STS for instance, it started with just a couple flights on a Q400 (LAX and SEA and later LAS) and grew to a huge operation with E175s. If I recall, that was the goal for the Q400 to go in and see if a market can be grown organically to allow for a bigger plane/more frequency.

wedgetail737

Fri May 28, 2021 2:03 am

ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
When the 797 comes, I expect AS to be a launch customer.

That would be a welcome change from 6 hour flights on a cramped 737, although it remains to be seen what the 797 will look like.

If the 797 (NMA) is a widebody, I doubt AS will go for it.

I remember back in the 1980s, AS didn't order the 757 because it would require all new GSE.

wedgetail737

Fri May 28, 2021 2:04 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
I think the Q400s are here to stay for a while. They break even with like 30 pax on them and the amount of segments QX can do on them and turnaround time make it a great workhorse. It also allows them to enter and grow small markets. Look at STS for instance, it started with just a couple flights on a Q400 (LAX and SEA and later LAS) and grew to a huge operation with E175s. If I recall, that was the goal for the Q400 to go in and see if a market can be grown organically to allow for a bigger plane/more frequency.

QX still flies to STS using Q400's from PDX and periodically from SEA.

airlinepeanuts

Fri May 28, 2021 2:37 am

[twoid][/twoid]
wedgetail737 wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Right, in addition to several E175s to SEA, SAN, LAX, SNA and now BUR

Aliqiout

Fri May 28, 2021 7:34 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
wedgetail737 wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Which are not bigger planes.

USAirKid

Fri May 28, 2021 9:37 am

seahawks7757 wrote:

What is going on under the Eskimo's nose?

wedgetail737

Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 am

Aliqiout wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
wedgetail737 wrote:

Which are not bigger planes.

True, but the E-175's offer 1st class, premium eco and regular eco.

The Q400 only has regular economy...but offers free booze to every passenger over 21.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos