Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wedgetail737

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 am

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
With this update, there are also a few October updates I've noticed so far: the PAE-service has been updated -- PDX and LAX flights are gone in October.
bb

I see that PDX nonstop service is gone, but according to Alaskaair.com, there is still 1X daily PAE-LAX flight, leaving PAE at 1:25pm and arriving LAX at 4:05PM; leaving LAX at 4:45PM and arriving PAE at 7:40PM. I picked dates of 10/14/2021 and returning on 10/17/2021.

Hey wedgie, that's the SNA flight you're seeing. You prolly picked "All LA-area airports" instead of just LAX. No, LAX flights are gone.

(I'm not sure what you use but I always use the 'flight schedules' instead of the booking engine to search for flights.)

bb

Thanks for the clarification. I know that AS is currently flying LAX-PAE. I guess flying out of SEA for LAX will be the future...although I like making connections either through BOI or GEG to maximize my mileage. I hope the PAE-SAN flights will stick around.

AC4500

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I see that PDX nonstop service is gone, but according to Alaskaair.com, there is still 1X daily PAE-LAX flight, leaving PAE at 1:25pm and arriving LAX at 4:05PM; leaving LAX at 4:45PM and arriving PAE at 7:40PM. I picked dates of 10/14/2021 and returning on 10/17/2021.

Hey wedgie, that's the SNA flight you're seeing. You prolly picked "All LA-area airports" instead of just LAX. No, LAX flights are gone.

(I'm not sure what you use but I always use the 'flight schedules' instead of the booking engine to search for flights.)

bb

Thanks for the clarification. I know that AS is currently flying LAX-PAE. I guess flying out of SEA for LAX will be the future...although I like making connections either through BOI or GEG to maximize my mileage. I hope the PAE-SAN flights will stick around.

Yeah, it looks like the last LAX-PAE flight is on June 16th. SFO-PAE starts up again on June 17th, which I'm guessing is what's replacing the LAX-PAE flight.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

SANFan

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I know that AS is currently flying LAX-PAE. I guess flying out of SEA for LAX will be the future...although I like making connections either through BOI or GEG to maximize my mileage. I hope the PAE-SAN flights will stick around.

PAE-SAN was restarted on Mar 18 '21 and has remained operational since. I remember reading that AS did have some issues with traffic on the LA flights.

I see no reason to expect SAN-PAE to be axed now that we're 'over the hump.' I do hope we see double-daily service again by next Spring. Truthfully, I also expect LA-PAE will be back possibly by the end of the year.

bb

BoeingGuy

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 am

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I know that AS is currently flying LAX-PAE. I guess flying out of SEA for LAX will be the future...although I like making connections either through BOI or GEG to maximize my mileage. I hope the PAE-SAN flights will stick around.

PAE-SAN was restarted on Mar 18 '21 and has remained operational since. I remember reading that AS did have some issues with traffic on the LA flights.

I see no reason to expect SAN-PAE to be axed now that we're 'over the hump.' I do hope we see double-daily service again by next Spring. Truthfully, I also expect LA-PAE will be back possibly by the end of the year.

bb

PAE-LAX might do better if AS gave it a decent schedule. Prior to COVID, the flights didn’t make any useful connections in either direction. They didn’t really connect with any AA, QF, or LA flights to South American Australia or New Zealand. Down in the morning, and back to PAE in the evening. Useless for any real connections.

Not the first time that AS had a poor schedule on a route, so it ends up failing.

wedgetail737

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 am

It seems like people who fly out of PAE are going to their nonstop destination, and not so much for connections...with the exception of the UA flights to/from DEN.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:35 pm

I didn’t see an “Anchorage Thread” so I put this here...

I just found this video of someone who made a hotel review for downtown Anchorage:

https://youtu.be/g24JDXbC6hk

Question is this, I know ubers/Lyfts are hard to come by in Alaska. Do they have good public transit to and from the airport?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

birdbrainz

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:55 pm

Any word about AS's aircraft stored at KGSO? I haven't driven out there lately, but at one time there were more than 10 stored there.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

MAH4546

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:18 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I just found this video of someone who made a hotel review for downtown Anchorage:

Question is this, I know ubers/Lyfts are hard to come by in Alaska. Do they have good public transit to and from the airport?

Uber/Lyft are very common in Anchorage and Fairbanks and easy to come by.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.

ytib

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:42 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Uber/Lyft are very common in Anchorage and Fairbanks abs easy to come by.

Juneau... good luck.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

Aliqiout

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Not the first time that AS had a poor schedule on a route, so it ends up failing.

Of course this happens to all airlines. Flights in new markets are often scheduled at non ideal times because fleet, labour, gate, and sometimes slot availability need to be accounted for.

SANFan

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Of course this happens to all airlines. Flights in new markets are often scheduled at non ideal times because fleet, labour, gate, and sometimes slot availability need to be accounted for.

I would add RON parking availability to your list of potential issues at PAE, Aliqiout. And expanding on your comment, with only 3 gates at PAE, shared with UA, not every flight can leave at an ideal time. I suspect AS is very aware of their flights that are not at preferred times & will do their best to slide them around when they can. Since there is only 1 flight offered in the LAX-PAE market right now, perhaps that is because they have had issues with loads in the past even when a better schedule was offered, so they gave LA a lower timing-priority than the routes that have performed better. With only a single flight offered by anyone on the route, I would expect a poorly-timed flight would still see some pax and that tells the Route Planners something as well.

(BTW Boeing', the single SAN-PAE flight is currently scheduled with an 8:30p departure, arriving in Everett about 11:35pm! Talk about lousy timing....)

LA-PAE still appears on the November schedules, which doesn't mean a whole lot in June, but it does tell me that Route Planning is hoping to -- and planning on -- bringing the route back once the traffic returns. I've been seeing this strategy play out for months now with AS as the recovery continues.

bb

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:42 pm

SANFan wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I would add RON parking availability to your list of potential issues at PAE, Aliqiout. And expanding on your comment, with only 3 gates at PAE, shared with UA, not every flight can leave at an ideal time. I suspect AS is very aware of their flights that are not at preferred times & will do their best to slide them around when they can. Since there is only 1 flight offered in the LAX-PAE market right now, perhaps that is because they have had issues with loads in the past even when a better schedule was offered, so they gave LA a lower timing-priority than the routes that have performed better. With only a single flight offered by anyone on the route, I would expect a poorly-timed flight would still see some pax and that tells the Route Planners something as well.

(BTW Boeing', the single SAN-PAE flight is currently scheduled with an 8:30p departure, arriving in Everett about 11:35pm! Talk about lousy timing....)

LA-PAE still appears on the November schedules, which doesn't mean a whole lot in June, but it does tell me that Route Planning is hoping to -- and planning on -- bringing the route back once the traffic returns. I've been seeing this strategy play out for months now with AS as the recovery continues.

bb

PAE has more RON space than you think.

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm

It looks like AS is responding to WN's 50-yr/50% off sale. One-way fares on AS are as cheap $29 one-way!
Next:

gunsontheroof

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

bb

PAE has more RON space than you think.

I was going to post the same thing. Parking may not be immediately adjacent to the terminal, but PAE isn't particularly short on RON space if AS/UA require it.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 pm

I wonder if AS will continue to put additional Airbus A320's back into service. I saw 10 of them still stored at OAK this weekend.

32andBelow

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I wonder if AS will continue to put additional Airbus A320's back into service. I saw 10 of them still stored at OAK this weekend.

They just put a special livery on one. Was that just RTS?

wedgetail737

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:05 am

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

They just put a special livery on one. Was that just RTS?

They looked pretty buttoned up. I don't think the Pride airplane was one of those. The stored airplanes would have to go through some extensive restoration depending how long they've been stored.

DLASFlyer

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:38 am

So the pride plane doesn’t just have rainbow on the outside but also cycles through a rainbow of colors on the inside.

https://twitter.com/alaskaair/status/14 ... 6755936260
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/3kX55yR

32andBelow

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:23 am

Why hasn’t the max flown to the state of Alaska yet?

sfojvjets

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 am

32andBelow wrote:

Well... why hasn't the MAX flown to SFO yet?

I'm not sure. Someone here can probably answer though.

b777900

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am

sfojvjets wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Well... why hasn't the MAX flown to SFO yet?

I'm not sure. Someone here can probably answer though.

WILL the MAX ever fly to the east coast or transcon flights? or just West coast hops??? Why does AS ONLY use e175 LAX TO AUS and not anything bigger>??
[i[b]]Prepare for Gate arrival, Gate 32

Ishrion

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:

For those not aware, BOI-PUW has a revenue guarantee from the University of Idaho.

"Under the agreement, the University of Idaho would guarantee annual payments up to $500,000 for three years if the flights fail to generate revenue, according to the board."
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/may/28/university-of-idaho-partnering-with-alaska-airline/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

AC4500

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:

PHX-BOI seems way overdue for AS. I'm surprised it's only operating seasonally. I suspect BOI-LAS will be added not too long from now.
Next:

Western727

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

For those not aware, BOI-PUW has a revenue guarantee from the University of Idaho.

"Under the agreement, the University of Idaho would guarantee annual payments up to $500,000 for three years if the flights fail to generate revenue, according to the board."
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/may/28/university-of-idaho-partnering-with-alaska-airline/

That makes a lot of sense. My sister and brother-in-law used to live in PUW for several years when he worked at Washington State University. Pullman/Moscow and PUW are small towns that are heavily reliant on WSU and UI.
Jack @ AUS

Aliqiout

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:09 am

AC4500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

PHX-BOI seems way overdue for AS. I'm surprised it's only operating seasonally. I suspect BOI-LAS will be added not too long from now.

It would have seemed overdue if both WN and AA were not already on this route as "hub" carriers.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:03 am

AC4500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

If loads and advanced bookings are good, I'm sure they would make the BOI-PHX year-round.

LAXBUR

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:06 am

Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

It would have seemed overdue if both WN and AA were not already on this route as "hub" carriers.

Alaska has flown BOI-PHX before.

I think these seasonal adds are linked to the growing number of Californians moving while also trying to grow loyalty in the area with as many destinations as possible even if seasonal. Their social media today was all about these Boise routes. So it seems of importance to them.

jplatts

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:24 am

Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Why does AS need to serve PHX nonstop from BOI on its own metal if AS FF's in the BOI market can earn miles on the AA BOI-PHX nonstop flights and if some of the AS FF's in the BOI market are willing to fly nonstop to PHX on AA?

Passengers can also more seamlessly connect between AA flights at PHX as passengers connecting between AA flights don't have to change terminals or re-clear security as all of the AA-operated flights out of PHX are in Terminal 4, whereas those connecting from an AS flight onto an AA flight at PHX have to exit Terminal 3, take the PHX Sky Train to Terminal 4, and then re-clear security to connect.

jbs2886

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:26 am

jplatts wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Why does AS need to serve PHX nonstop from BOI on its own metal if AS FF's in the BOI market can earn miles on the AA BOI-PHX nonstop flights and if some of the AS FF's in the BOI market are willing to fly nonstop to PHX on AA?

Passengers can also more seamlessly connect between AA flights at PHX as passengers connecting between AA flights don't have to change terminals or re-clear security as all of the AA-operated flights out of PHX are in Terminal 4, whereas those connecting from an AS flight onto an AA flight at PHX have to exit Terminal 3, take the PHX Sky Train to Terminal 4, and then re-clear security to connect.

Because AS makes the money versus giving the money to AA on a codeshare. BOI-PHX is likely not for connections to that second part is moot; its for AS's BOI O&D.

Wneast

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 am

More seasonal BOI adds in the future I would imagine

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:53 am

Wneast wrote:

Hopefully, those proposed seasonals become year-round.

I also noticed that the inaugural SEA-RDD flight is on its way.

BoeingGuy

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:00 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I’m supposed to fly to Redding next week, but we might postpone due to the extreme hot weather forecasted there - even for that area. Might he hard to get outdoors a lot.

Anyone know how the booking are looking for RDD? I hope it works and the route stays.

BoeingGuy

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:02 am

LAXBUR wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Alaska has flown BOI-PHX before.

I think these seasonal adds are linked to the growing number of Californians moving while also trying to grow loyalty in the area with as many destinations as possible even if seasonal. Their social media today was all about these Boise routes. So it seems of importance to them.

I didn’t recall AS ever doing BOI-PHX before. When was it? Was it mainline?

It does like like BOI is ripe for some more growth on AS. I think they have added PHX, AUS, and ORD recently. I guess PUW too.

sprxUSA

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 am

No, AS has not done BOI-PHX before. I think when Horizon did BOI DEN, SFO etc before, PHX may have been done also. But QX was branded as QX then under AS flight numbers. Really need 4 carriers between BOI and Phoenix area?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:46 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I’m supposed to fly to Redding next week, but we might postpone due to the extreme hot weather forecasted there - even for that area. Might he hard to get outdoors a lot.

Anyone know how the booking are looking for RDD? I hope it works and the route stays.

Hopefully, AS would consider adding a 2nd RDD-SEA flight noon to mid-afternoon so tourists don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a flight home.

ANA787

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:01 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Hopefully, AS would consider adding a 2nd RDD-SEA flight noon to mid-afternoon so tourists don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a flight home.

Or resume PDX-RDD instead

msp747

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 am

Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

G4 also flies this route, although they go to AZA, not PHX. Seems like a very saturated route, but BOI-ORD/MDW has 3 competitors as well, yet AS says in that release that bookings are strong. AS must feel it has strong loyalty in Boise and is trying to grow it. Personally, I love these new additions. Now if we could only see more AS flights out of BOI up-gauged to mainline...

msp747

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:00 am

FATFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

The fact that Lewiston/Clarkston is 40 minutes away will probably help this flight too. I know LWS was trying to get service restarted to Boise as well. This is obviously not the result they wanted, but the drive to Moscow to catch a flight is much easier than driving the entire way down to Boise.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 am

ANA787 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Or resume PDX-RDD instead

Yes...true...resumption.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:57 am

msp747 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

G4 also flies this route, although they go to AZA, not PHX. Seems like a very saturated route, but BOI-ORD/MDW has 3 competitors as well, yet AS says in that release that bookings are strong. AS must feel it has strong loyalty in Boise and is trying to grow it. Personally, I love these new additions. Now if we could only see more AS flights out of BOI up-gauged to mainline...

Give it time...aren't some of the BOI flights mainline besides SEA...like SAN and LAX?

Wingtips56

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:04 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
[

It's always hot in RDD all summer. Gets worse in late July/August. Doesn't cool down much at night. May as well go now, before the anticipated fires start and smoke it all up.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

sprxUSA

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
msp747 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

Give it time...aren't some of the BOI flights mainline besides SEA...like SAN and LAX?

They just reduced SAN to QX. Only SEA is AS metal now.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:49 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
msp747 wrote:

Oh...that's too bad.

SANFan

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:12 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

Oh...that's too bad.

I personally would rather see double-daily QX service to SAN instead of a single mainline flight. Apparently the traffic is not yet at the level to support 2 flights where at least one of them is mainline. Twice the time options is more important AFAIC. (I also think part of the equation is what WN is doing in the market; there's no way WN could run double daily service with their a/c.)

GEG-SAN is a similar market where we seem to see either a single mainline flight - currently a 739! - or sometimes we'll have 2x daily EMJ service. WN seems to have abandoned this market for now.

Looks to me like BOI is heading for Focus City-status pretty quickly with AS! Great to see AAG taking advantage of the success they're having in BOI!

bb

Aliqiout

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 pm

msp747 wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

The fact that Lewiston/Clarkston is 40 minutes away will probably help this flight too. I know LWS was trying to get service restarted to Boise as well. This is obviously not the result they wanted, but the drive to Moscow to catch a flight is much easier than driving the entire way down to Boise.

This could drive enough traffic to hekp make this a success as long as convenient connections are offered to the places people want to go.

palouse

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:12 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
msp747 wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

This could drive enough traffic to hekp make this a success as long as convenient connections are offered to the places people want to go.

As a Pullman resident, I plan on using this service for southbound connections instead of routing through Seattle. Alaska has scheduled this flight perfectly to make connections to Los Angeles and the Bay Area. When Lewiston had a flight to Boise on QX, making a connection was not an option so it was all O&D traffic and load factors hovered around 50%. I'm hopeful that with the ability to connect, plus the two universities, this flight can be successful.

WALmsp

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:45 pm

AS has begun service SBA-SAN with an E175. It had originally intended to begin this route just prior to the Covid outbreak.
https://keyt.com/news/top-stories/2021/06/17/santa-barbara-airport-launches-daily-flights-to-san-diego/
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

Boiler905

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

BOI-PHX is a bad choice because it is over-served
BOI-PUW is an exciting prospect to see if it works as well as GEG-BOI

As I've been saying for a while, BOI is one of AS' big opportunities in the post-COVID era.
Boiler Up

Wneast

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

BOI-PHX is a bad choice because it is over-served
BOI-PUW is an exciting prospect to see if it works as well as GEG-BOI

As I've been saying for a while, BOI is one of AS' big opportunities in the post-COVID era.

Should be interesting what we see next

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos