Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BHMNONREV

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
STL was on the short list for B6 but now it's not. Make me wonder if AA will also add JFK.

I know people love JetBlue but I would personally have everything on the same airline, especially if they will do mainline like AA is on BOS.

Where did you see the aircraft type for STL-BOS?

Don't have the link readily available, but it was reported at Cranky Flyer. Daily 2 x 319

TWA302

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:37 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
STL was on the short list for B6 but now it's not. Make me wonder if AA will also add JFK.

I know people love JetBlue but I would personally have everything on the same airline, especially if they will do mainline like AA is on BOS.

https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-news/2021/american-airlines-announces-new-service-to-boston

maps4ltd

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:57 pm

BHMNONREV wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Don't have the link readily available, but it was reported at Cranky Flyer. Daily 2 x 319

Oh wow. Just saw. I think this is the first time I've ever seen him post twice in one day.

N983AN

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:13 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetblue_airways/usn/usnews-story.aspx?cid=981&newsid=74365

BOS-STL on American.

About time someone else adds it. AA actually starting to make a decent play here.

When did AA drop BOS before? I know they did it in '08 as we went to the Cards/Sox interleague series an then WN had it for a while too. I am glad to see BOS back and JFK would be a nice re-add for those Intl connections. MCI is happy about their B6 add

April 3, 2010 on mainline (1x S80); Eagle briefly took over (2x ER4) until May 31, 2010

stl07

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Does this mean no B6 for us?

I take that as a loss, because I would have wanted some of their destinations like MCO, JFK, and maybe later even San Juan

tphuang

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:47 pm

stl07 wrote:

I take that as a loss, because I would have wanted some of their destinations like MCO, JFK, and maybe later even San Juan

Out of the 7 cities they mentioned to their crewmembers that they are looking to add, 4 got added today. I assume that STL, as one of the 3 remaining ones, will get added further down the line. After all, JFK-STL is not served.

TWA302

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:28 pm

N983AN wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

About time someone else adds it. AA actually starting to make a decent play here.

When did AA drop BOS before? I know they did it in '08 as we went to the Cards/Sox interleague series an then WN had it for a while too. I am glad to see BOS back and JFK would be a nice re-add for those Intl connections. MCI is happy about their B6 add

April 3, 2010 on mainline (1x S80); Eagle briefly took over (2x ER4) until May 31, 2010

Thanks! Didn't realize it had been gone over a decade. Wow.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm

tphuang wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Out of the 7 cities they mentioned to their crewmembers that they are looking to add, 4 got added today. I assume that STL, as one of the 3 remaining ones, will get added further down the line. After all, JFK-STL is not served.

What are the other 2?

tphuang

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
stl07 wrote:

What are the other 2?

the other 2 are CLO and PTY. So STL is the only domestic one they mentioned that has yet to be added.

dcaproducer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 pm

I’d suspect B6 wants to see how NK does in STL. I think there’s other reasons behind the scenes as well, but can’t say what those are.

B6 to JFK would be a good add and provide a nice connection to their new London flights. Their new international Mint product is going to be nice and less expensive than DL and AA’s business class. Keep in mind, until last month, UA wasn’t even at JFK. So from STL that leaves DL and AA.

stl07

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
I think there’s other reasons behind the scenes as well, but can’t say what those are.

As in something you know and can't share, or something you have a hunch about

Jshank83

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:29 pm

Since STL-BOS is going to be mainline I wonder if we will see some on STL-LGA.

dcaproducer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:46 am

stl07 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
I think there’s other reasons behind the scenes as well, but can’t say what those are.

As in something you know and can't share, or something you have a hunch about

No inside info here. More of a hunch. B6 seems to keep passing up any chance to open STL.

pmanni1

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:48 am

dcaproducer wrote:
I’d suspect B6 wants to see how NK does in STL. I think there’s other reasons behind the scenes as well, but can’t say what those are.

B6 to JFK would be a good add and provide a nice connection to their new London flights. Their new international Mint product is going to be nice and less expensive than DL and AA’s business class. Keep in mind, until last month, UA wasn’t even at JFK. So from STL that leaves DL and AA.

I'm sure it's unlikely that NK would release their financial results in STL to B6. B6 has a different customer than NK and different destinations and their success would be unrelated.

jplatts

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:16 am

pmanni1 wrote:
I'm sure it's unlikely that NK would release their financial results in STL to B6. B6 has a different customer than NK and different destinations and their success would be unrelated.

There are some markets that are served by B6 but not NK such as ALB, ABQ, BTV, CHS, PVD, RNO, ROC, SLC, SAV, and SYR. B6 also already serves some Florida destinations nonstop from ALB, CHS, PVD, SLC, and SYR.

B6 is able to succeed in some markets that aren't served by NK. B6 would also likely add STL-JFK nonstop service if it enters STL, whereas I probably would not expect NK to add nonstop service to LGA or EWR from STL.

stlgph

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:37 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Except one small problem. Spirit Airlines is no longer the "trash airline" it was 5-10 years ago. It's a legitimate player in the U.S. airline industry.

TWA302

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Does anyone know why a Navy P-8 Poseidon was doing touch-and-gos at STL yesterday? Seems odd as the plane was from NAS JAX.

Jshank83

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:56 pm

Rhonda was on KMOX today.

They asked her about the Boston AA flight vs JetBlue. She basically said what was said on here yesterday. It is more of a one of the other. AA status people here had been asking for AA to bring Boston back since it left. So they are happy to have 2x a day on mainline for the business community. She understands it as the JetBlue cities MKE/MCI/etc will be only once a day.

Link to interview.
https://www.audacy.com/kmox/podcasts/to ... -369714630

Also in other news. I had a chat with someone who used to work at the airport. They said that Southwest wanted to move to T1 for more gate access but was told they would have to pay for the other airlines to move. Southwest did a assessment of the costs and decided it was too expensive. I don't know all the details but I kind of think they should have found a way to make that work. But again without details maybe it was too hard to work out.

BHMNONREV

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Rhonda was on KMOX today.

They asked her about the Boston AA flight vs JetBlue. She basically said what was said on here yesterday. It is more of a one of the other. AA status people here had been asking for AA to bring Boston back since it left. So they are happy to have 2x a day on mainline for the business community. She understands it as the JetBlue cities MKE/MCI/etc will be only once a day.

Link to interview.
https://www.audacy.com/kmox/podcasts/to ... -369714630

Also in other news. I had a chat with someone who used to work at the airport. They said that Southwest wanted to move to T1 for more gate access but was told they would have to pay for the other airlines to move. Southwest did a assessment of the costs and decided it was too expensive. I don't know all the details but I kind of think they should have found a way to make that work. But again without details maybe it was too hard to work out.

Interesting concept to say the least, with WN potentially taking all of C and moving the 5/6 airlines currently in C over to T2 I would assume. But as you say, without knowing all of the details who knows what sort of logistical/cost nightmare this could turn into. Guess they figured it would be more cost effective moving forward to just continue down D as needed

stlgph

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Many things would quickly add up:
This is all in theory, of course-

Time - I would suspect affected airlines would have a clause requiring at least a year notice for the move

Advertising/Marketing - Of the changes would have to be picked up by Southwest including paid press/media campaigns and on-property signage

Admirals Club - Southwest may be on the hook for paying for the construction of a new Admirals Club for American Airlines

Gates - Southwest would have to pay for renovation of the Terminal 2 gate areas into the more common set-up used by airlines and likewise pay for the changes made to the C concourse gates to their standards

Ground Areas - Southwest may be on the hook for construction of ground areas/crew areas, etc. for the other airlines, and themselves in the new C digs

I'm sure one could come up with many more stipulations.

dcaproducer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:34 pm

stlgph wrote:
Many things would quickly add up:
This is all in theory, of course-

Time - I would suspect affected airlines would have a clause requiring at least a year notice for the move

Advertising/Marketing - Of the changes would have to be picked up by Southwest including paid press/media campaigns and on-property signage

Admirals Club - Southwest may be on the hook for paying for the construction of a new Admirals Club for American Airlines

Gates - Southwest would have to pay for renovation of the Terminal 2 gate areas into the more common set-up used by airlines and likewise pay for the changes made to the C concourse gates to their standards

Ground Areas - Southwest may be on the hook for construction of ground areas/crew areas, etc. for the other airlines, and themselves in the new C digs

I'm sure one could come up with many more stipulations.

I think you hit on many of the major points. The cost of flipping C and T2 would require some significant investment.

Short term, opening all of D, but with fewer gates than it was designed for, would give WN more room and connect the two terminals.
Then STL looks a t a long-term renewal of the facilities.

And to your comment earlier about NK, you're absolutely correct. NK isn't like Allegiant anymore. I think it's going to be a good addition to STL.

STLflyer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Plus the C customs area requires local passengers to re-check their bags and re-clear security, only to be dumped airside and then have to re-claim their bags at the landside carousels.

The setup is fine for connecting pax, but less than idea for local.

Runway765

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 pm

What about a potential widening of the D concourse to modernize and increase hold room space?

STLflyer wrote:
Plus the C customs area requires local passengers to re-check their bags and re-clear security, only to be dumped airside and then have to re-claim their bags at the landside carousels.

Does the FIS facility in Concourse C still exist?

dcaproducer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:48 pm

Runway765 wrote:
What about a potential widening of the D concourse to modernize and increase hold room space?

STLflyer wrote:

I’ve said this all along regarding D. Widen the concourse to provide bigger hold area and more concessions.

If I recall the airport put out an RFP regarding the FIS to determine what to do with it. I seem to remember the discussion at the time indicating it’s still under C. Just mothballed.

How ‘bout T2 becomes the international terminal and charters. T1 gets a new linear concourse with all airlines. D can be a connector. Throw a people mover in it.
WN adds more international service, nice terminal to attract a flight to Europe.

By the way, I know STL isn’t ATL, but DL is getting another big SkyClub in ATL, this time in D and the city is paying for the construction. $33 Million. DL will rent the space, but the city’s footing the bill for the construction.
https://www.ajc.com/news/business/harts ... BMWAZJDPQ/

airplaneboy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:59 pm

stlgph wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Except one small problem. Spirit Airlines is no longer the "trash airline" it was 5-10 years ago. It's a legitimate player in the U.S. airline industry.

They’ve done a fantastic job improving their brand and customer service. NK is certainly a legitimate player in the field, but I still think that there is a finite demand for the ULCC concept in some markets. NK reduced services in markets like EWR and MCI, and pre-Covid was still appealing to the leisure/VFR price-conscious crowd (there’s only so much comfort and convenience some people are willing to forgo to save $20-$50). Their low fares do a great job of stimulating demand in new markets, but as time passes their fares start to increase. They’ll do fine on leisure markets out of STL and provide healthy competition for WN.

Runway765

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
How ‘bout T2 becomes the international terminal and charters. T1 gets a new linear concourse with all airlines. D can be a connector. Throw a people mover in it.
WN adds more international service, nice terminal to attract a flight to Europe.

Interesting idea, but I don’t think STL needs a dedicated international terminal. Not enough activity to justify it.

dcaproducer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 pm

Runway765 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Interesting idea, but I don’t think STL needs a dedicated international terminal. Not enough activity to justify it.

I agree. It’s something the airport would need to work on growing. It could be reconfigured to be a pretty nice international gateway.

TWA302

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:24 am

Runway765 wrote:

STLflyer wrote:

It probably exists in one shape or form. If I had to wager, it hasn't been operational for nearly 20 years.

LambertMan

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:14 am

TWA302 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

STLflyer wrote:

It probably exists in one shape or form. If I had to wager, it hasn't been operational for nearly 20 years.

Its down there still. It can't be made operational without renovations though. I think you can see the stairwell that leads down to it near C30.

So explain why again you have to re-check bags twice? I never have used it - only have used E customs once.

Runway765

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:32 am

LambertMan wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Its down there still. It can't be made operational without renovations though. I think you can see the stairwell that leads down to it near C30.

So explain why again you have to re-check bags twice? I never have used it - only have used E customs once.

Because there is no sterile corridor (hallway) to the landslide area without going through the secure concourse. As I said earlier, most of the midsized market hubs that have been dehubbed (STL, BNA, MEM, CVG, PIT, etc) had this setup. Even ATL had it until Concourse F opened in 2012.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:35 am

From the southwest earnings call.

And our focus, once we begin to see business on thaw is we got to begin to put the depth back into the markets like the St. Louis and Milwaukee's and intra-Cal business markets and such.

stlgph

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm

International gates are tricky. It seems no solution really pleases everyone.

If you renovate them in C and make something great - you really leave the biggest carrier out of the mix.

if you renovate them in E and serve your biggest carrier, you leave the other carriers out of the mix.

If you do something creative and make a new one say in the D2/4/6 area - it's nice and central but you kind of leave everyone out of the mix.

BHMNONREV

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:13 pm

stlgph wrote:

If you renovate them in C and make something great - you really leave the biggest carrier out of the mix.

if you renovate them in E and serve your biggest carrier, you leave the other carriers out of the mix.

If you do something creative and make a new one say in the D2/4/6 area - it's nice and central but you kind of leave everyone out of the mix.

Intriguing idea of the D2/4/6 location, certainly better than the bunker in C as it would allow inbounds to empty straight into the terminal. And this would bring Lambert full circle, as this area was used for int'l arrivals in the 70's with Mexicana and early 80's with BCal when they used the mobile lounges. I believe it was referred to as the International Transport Wing or something like that..

atrude777

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm

I am flying Cape Air MWA-STL and connecting to American STL-ORD tonight. On an Airbus A319 STL-ORD. First flight on an AA Mainline jet since begining of COVID and out of stl. I am usually on a Regional!

Looking forward to seeing how STL Terminal 1 looks as I pass through. Can't wait to see the new gate set up for Sun Country, Spirit and others!

Alex

TWA302

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Shot in the dark here. For years there has been a former ALMA CRJ parked at SUS, coordinates 38.66485198533327, -90.65031114402456. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Spirit+of+St+Louis+Airport+-+KSUS/@38.6648176,-90.6497693,67a,35y,270h,39.51t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xba84e684dd2512c5!8m2!3d38.6634733!4d-90.6445777

Wondering if anyone knows why it is there and what might become of it? I looked through ALMA's fleet and can't find any indication on one coming here via purchase, etc.

This isn't the exact frame, but what it looks like

jmy007

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 pm

BHMNONREV wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Intriguing idea of the D2/4/6 location, certainly better than the bunker in C as it would allow inbounds to empty straight into the terminal. And this would bring Lambert full circle, as this area was used for int'l arrivals in the 70's with Mexicana and early 80's with BCal when they used the mobile lounges. I believe it was referred to as the International Transport Wing or something like that..

Wasn't there talk on here, pre-covid, about converting the B concourse into international gates with FIS?

Jshank83

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:50 pm

jmy007 wrote:
BHMNONREV wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Wasn't there talk on here, pre-covid, about converting the B concourse into international gates with FIS?

I think that was just speculation as an option based on them exploring future FIS options. Nothing concrete besides us on here making guesses.

Jshank83

Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
United updated their June schedule @flystl

DEN 4x daily
ORD 5x daily
EWR 2x daily
IAH 4x daily
IAD 2x daily
HHH 3x weekly
MYR 3x weekly
SFO still suspended

18 flights a day.
April-14 flights a day
July 2019 - 29 flights a day

Slowly coming back

Delta June

ATL 6x all 737
DTW 4x 2x717 2x CRJ900
MSP 6x 1x737 1x319 4xCRJ900
LGA 3x CRJ900
SLC 3x 2x220 1x175

22 total daily for June
16 daily - April 2020
29 daily - June 2019

A 2nd update :spin:

Changes to above
Dtw 4x 1x717 3x CRJ900
MSP 6x 1x737 1x319 1xA220 3xCRJ900

Rest the same. So only a mainline/RJ flip on DTW and MSP

A220-100 on MSP I wasn’t expecting.

Jshank83

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 am

WN adds SRQ daily and VPS sat/sun starting in June.

Other updates

No SFO DTW MSP CMH BDL IND still

Pensacola and Charleston are daily for the first time.

PHL PDX CLE PIT are back

San Antonio - Sunday only

maps4ltd

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:26 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Other updates

PHL PDX CLE PIT are back

Nice to see things slowly rolling back in. PNS daily is probably to compete with Spirit.

Wondering about SAT being once weekly though.

bretonrlong

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:39 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Other updates

PHL PDX CLE PIT are back

For SRQ & VPS I seem to be able to find the outbound, but can't seem to find nonstop for the return. Am I missing something?

Jshank83

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 am

SAV Sunday only also.

stl07

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:01 am

Some solid reactions to G4

Jshank83

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:02 am

stl07 wrote:
Some solid reactions to G4

Too busy to look but if you lump secondary in with main airports I think they might have all the G4 destinations now.

stl1326

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:08 am

It looks like they added daily service to SNA as well.

atrude777

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 am

Way to go Southwest and STL!

Southwest wasn't kidding about wanting to get back into Midwest Markets like STL!

Did WN have a response to AA's adding of BOS or does WN cover STL-BOS fairly well?

I flew the WN STL-BOS Inaugural flight January of 2010 when it launched! Over 10 years ago!

Alex

Jshank83

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:57 am

atrude777 wrote:
Way to go Southwest and STL!

Southwest wasn't kidding about wanting to get back into Midwest Markets like STL!

Did WN have a response to AA's adding of BOS or does WN cover STL-BOS fairly well?

I flew the WN STL-BOS Inaugural flight January of 2010 when it launched! Over 10 years ago!

Alex

Stl-BOS was supposed to go to 5x a day last summer before covid came. This summer it is at 2x

stl07

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:24 am

stl1326 wrote:

Did they keep LGB or nix it?

stl07

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 am

Im not seeing STL-SNA at all

Jshank83

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 am

stl07 wrote:
stl1326 wrote:

Did they keep LGB or nix it?

Still there and Lax moved to 2x

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos