Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Welcome to St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2021. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437999

TWA302

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:37 pm

First! :rotfl: Happy New Year to all.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:56 am

Anyone have any predictions for STL/BLV in 2021?

T18

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:07 am

I'll bite
SWA will add more destinations and UA will be 95% UAX on the RJs

maps4ltd

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:30 am

Here's to a better year.

Predictions: LAX, DCA, LGA will come back on AA, SFO will come back on UA. CVG on DL was permanently cut. Air Choice One may or may not fold if Burlington, Jackson, and Jonesboro pick different EAS carriers. Status quo for TBN on Contour. Southwest will announce one or two new destinations, but could also cut one or two. Frontier could also take a stab at something, then leave it in 2022. Still no NK or B6. Allegiant will see continued success on vacation routes out of BLV, maybe adding another destination (I know they picked up SAV this year).

pmanni1

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:41 am

I don't predict anything new from any airline except WN. Last summer WN tested adding CLT,ORF,GRR & PVD and only CLT became permanent. Possibly one of these will be added back along with CVG being added.

TWA302

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:45 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
I don't predict anything new from any airline except WN. Last summer WN tested adding CLT,ORF,GRR & PVD and only CLT became permanent. Possibly one of these will be added back along with CVG being added.

GRR was done before as well. It is seasonal for the many beach goers. It'll be back for the 2021 Summer season I bet.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:16 pm

I think it’s going to be a quiet year.

It will be interesting to see if Breeze comes which airport they use.

Guessing WN adds a couple more destinations. I think it depends on how fast business travel comes back. I think SAV/MIA/ORD/ORF/CVG/SRQ or MYR (if they add it) are probably most likely, but I wouldn’t say I feel strongly about any.

G4 wise I’d like to see them try a route that isn’t all leisure. About the only route left that is leisure for them is CHS. Besides that I’m not sure what else they would start unless they start Mexico/Intl but I’m not sure I see that happening.

Cant see jetblue entertain coming until business travel is back. NK maybe but I kind of feel like they would be here by now if they were coming this year.

Legacy wise, I think AA has the best chance to add but again until business travel is back I can’t see it happening.

Jshank83

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:30 pm

January frequency spreadsheet.

Max day

WN - 51
AA - 19
DL - 14
UA - 11
F9 - 4
G4 - 3

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

LagosLen

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:52 am

As a stretch, I could see Allegiant trying BLV-SNA and Southwest operating a few STL-SJU flights.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Boeing looking to expand at BLV.

A pre-development agreement between the metro-east airport and Boeing for a project to expand Boeing’s existing defense-related operations

https://amp.bnd.com/news/local/article248281690.html

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:28 am

WOW!!! Barely more than 100 flights a day TOTAL for STL... CRAZY!!
Jshank83 wrote:
January frequency spreadsheet.

Max day

WN - 51
AA - 19
DL - 14
UA - 11
F9 - 4
G4 - 3

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm

Question for those who know: from Google Satellite, I am seeing the "E" concourse slowly expanding into the former "D" concourse.

How many former D gates are now E gates?

Are there plans to renovate more D gates in the near future? Are there plans to renovate more? Are there plans to reopen the A/B/C/D concourses to E? I know it can be done with permission (I have seen the YouTube videos), but not to the general public. And there's no need - yet.

What about Concourse A? Has it been renovated?

And what about the end of Concourse C? The "international" area has been sitting empty for a long time - are there any plans for that?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Jshank83

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:33 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Question for those who know: from Google Satellite, I am seeing the "E" concourse slowly expanding into the former "D" concourse.

Are there plans to renovate more D gates in the near future? Are there plans to renovate more? Are there plans to reopen the A/B/C/D concourses to E? I know it can be done with permission (I have seen the YouTube videos), but not to the general public. And there's no need - yet.

And what about the end of Concourse C? The "international" area has been sitting empty for a long time - are there any plans for that?

Of what I consider old D 4 have been remodeled although some might say 7. But once you get around the last elbow it is 4.

I was told by multiple people they were planning on remodeling the next 3 or 4 gates in 2020, but I assume now that has been put on hold until traffic comes back. I also was under the impression when the remodel the next bank of gates it is likely they would open it up, but I am not 100% sure on that.

I am pretty sure A was somewhat renovated a couple years ago to match C. New lights, maybe new floor. I can't remember what all they did. I wouldn't say it was extensive.

They put out an RFP for plans to have a new Customs area. I would think reopening the one is C would be one option but I am not sure that is the route they will go. I think right now they are just treating C like they are D. They will open it as needed. They just did renovate 2 more gates in it C about a year and a half ago. It has been completed but they will not open them until they are needed.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Of what I consider old D 4 have been remodeled although some might say 7. But once you get around the last elbow it is 4.

I was told by multiple people they were planning on remodeling the next 3 or 4 gates in 2020, but I assume now that has been put on hold until traffic comes back. I also was under the impression when the remodel the next bank of gates it is likely they would open it up, but I am not 100% sure on that.

I am pretty sure A was somewhat renovated a couple years ago to match C. New lights, maybe new floor. I can't remember what all they did. I wouldn't say it was extensive.

They put out an RFP for plans to have a new Customs area. I would think reopening the one is C would be one option but I am not sure that is the route they will go. I think right now they are just treating C like they are D. They will open it as needed. They just did renovate 2 more gates in it C about a year and a half ago. It has been completed but they will not open them until they are needed.

Thank you so much for the reply!

I am delighted, always, to see growth and expansion at STL, because this indicates strong local growth for the metro region. It may no longer be a major hub, but it no longer needs to be. Coupled with the infrastructure for continued growth already exists, this is an airport ready to expand faster than probably any airport in the U.S.

I know from the urban exploration videos that some of the inaccessible D gates still bear the coloration of TWA. I wish there would be some way to preserve at least one of those when that area is renovated and expanded; however, time will tell for that.

One last question I should have asked in my first post: wasn't there a shuttle service than ran from one of the south-side C gates to the middle of the D gates after TWA took over Ozark? And wasn't there a fee for passengers? How long did that last?

Thanks again for the info!!

GreenCountry

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:58 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
One last question I should have asked in my first post: wasn't there a shuttle service than ran from one of the south-side C gates to the middle of the D gates after TWA took over Ozark? And wasn't there a fee for passengers? How long did that last?

Yes, there was definitely a shuttle service between C and D. No, there was no fee for passengers. I don't know how long it lasted.

dcaproducer

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

A was remodeled and looks like C. New flooring, new bright white paint, same signage. The security area going into A was also expanded a while back. I fly DL, so when I’m in STL I’m always in/out of A.

And beyond the elbow in D as it goes to T2 was old D gates long before T2 was built.
Last edited by dcaproducer on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcaproducer

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:46 pm

GreenCountry wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Yes, there was definitely a shuttle service between C and D. No, there was no fee for passengers. I don't know how long it lasted.

There was a free “mobile lounge” that ran between C/D.
You can see it outlined on this older terminal map.
http://www.departedflights.com/STL89.html

dcaproducer

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:10 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
GreenCountry wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

There was a free “mobile lounge” that ran between C/D.
You can see it outlined on this older terminal map.
http://www.departedflights.com/STL89.html

I didn't see this yesterday, but there's actually a photo in the A.net database that shows the mobile lounge. See the link. Left side of the photo.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-W ... Cx7z8Y3zoo

Jshank83

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 am

BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

Up to 12 destinations for BLV now

TWA302

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:16 am

Jshank83 wrote:
BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

Was hoping EYW.... ehhhh.

Jshank83

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:00 am

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

I thought CHS was the only route left that made sense and seemed like an easy add. EYW now takes its place.

stl07

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:56 am

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

ORF should be an easy pickup as well

stl07

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:56 am

Jshank83 wrote:
BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

Never thought we would have 2 airlines to CHS before 2 airlines to BOS

stl07

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 am

So how did we end up not getting WN flights to Sarasota?

Jshank83

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 am

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BLV-CHS added May 28th

2x weekly.

Never thought we would have 2 airlines to CHS before 2 airlines to BOS

Well to be fair it is only 3 flights a week between the 2 of them.

stl07 wrote:
So how did we end up not getting WN flights to Sarasota?

I think it will come in the near future. If it isn’t added this summer it will be next.

stl07

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 am

^^Thats fair, but it was surprising given that CMH, IND, and PIT got service and STL did not. Doesn't bother me at all because we already have more than enough service to FL, but it was interesting because WN always follows a certain order of cities they add to a new station.

stlgph

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:50 pm

As mentioned in the Allegiant thread about these route additions, I'm a bit surprised they aren't cherry picking a few routes in and out of Rapid City for summer 2021. STL would be a good addition.

stl07

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:36 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Well to be fair it is only 3 flights a week between the 2 of them.

I'm honestly more intrigued at G4's strategy. At some point, you have to wonder if having (bascially) 3 different cities in SC with 2-3x weekly flights from BLV is better than having 1 city with a daily flight.

stlgph

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Personally, if I was going to South Carolina, I'd be going to Charleston and sure as hell wouldn't be going to Myrtle Beach.

TWA302

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:53 pm

stlgph wrote:
Personally, if I was going to South Carolina, I'd be going to Charleston and sure as hell wouldn't be going to Myrtle Beach.

That's just it. MYR and CHS are totally different and attract two different types of visitors based on what they are looking to do or what experiences they want. I can see why both are available. Beaches, water parks, golf MYR. Culture, history, fine dining, B&B's CHS is a no brainer. Saves 2.5 hour drive from each.

deltaflyertoo

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Hey STL folks-

I have question. When looking at satellite maps of the airport and trying to envision what it looked like at peak of TWA's hub operations I get impression that with the layout of the taxiways there would be total gridlock. I.E specifically the closest taxiway that runs parallel to the north side of terminal C. It appears that planes being pushed back from C would be pushed onto that taxiway-in effect blocking it. NOT a big deal by today's standards-I just wonder if TWA had stuck around and was making use of that far west runway for arrivals from west-those planes would inevitably end up on said taxiway coming from the runway only to have conflict w/ those pushing back-AND or planes coming off the north runway are in conflict as soon as the cross the south runway. Is it possible that area is big enough for planes to push back AND planes use the taxiway simultaneosly hence making it just an illusion the map?

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

TWA302 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

That's just it. MYR and CHS are totally different and attract two different types of visitors based on what they are looking to do or what experiences they want. I can see why both are available. Beaches, water parks, golf MYR. Culture, history, fine dining, B&B's CHS is a no brainer. Saves 2.5 hour drive from each.

All true. Also, neither one is very easy to get to from another airport with LFC service. It seems like if I want to take a vacation to CHS, it's a no-brainer to adjust my travel days so I can take one of the nonstops (or maybe take a WN nonstop one-way and connect in BNA or BWI the other) rather than connecting and probably paying more on a legacy.

maps4ltd

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Computer issue in STL delayed some WN flights out of STL for 1-2 hours. Lots of missed connections.

On an unrelated note, Delta 3536 STL-SLC delayed 7 hours for maintenance.
EDIT: Hearing news that it's a centralized outage in Dallas preventing weight and balance calculations across the WN network.

dcaproducer

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm

deltaflyertoo wrote:
Hey STL folks-

I have question. When looking at satellite maps of the airport and trying to envision what it looked like at peak of TWA's hub operations I get impression that with the layout of the taxiways there would be total gridlock. I.E specifically the closest taxiway that runs parallel to the north side of terminal C. It appears that planes being pushed back from C would be pushed onto that taxiway-in effect blocking it. NOT a big deal by today's standards-I just wonder if TWA had stuck around and was making use of that far west runway for arrivals from west-those planes would inevitably end up on said taxiway coming from the runway only to have conflict w/ those pushing back-AND or planes coming off the north runway are in conflict as soon as the cross the south runway. Is it possible that area is big enough for planes to push back AND planes use the taxiway simultaneosly hence making it just an illusion the map?

There are parallel taxiways on the north end of C. That side of the concourse was also where most of the L1011’s, 767’s and 747’s parked. (As well as the end of C)
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 1-2018.pdf

I grew up in STL and flew often in the 1980’s and 90’s. One of the big issues was between C/D and I often remember having to sit and wait to get into a gate or for a gate to open up.

During bad weather and at peak times there would be a line of planes waiting to takeoff, similar to what you get at ATL and other airports. This is one of the reasons 11/29 was built.
Photo during rush hour: https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/248 ... /iIkNc4%3D

TWA302

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:
Hey STL folks-

There are parallel taxiways on the north end of C. That side of the concourse was also where most of the L1011’s, 767’s and 747’s parked. (As well as the end of C)

I grew up in STL and flew often in the 1980’s and 90’s. One of the big issues was between C/D and I often remember having to sit and wait to get into a gate or for a gate to open up.

During bad weather and at peak times there would be a line of planes waiting to takeoff, similar to what you get at ATL and other airports. This is one of the reasons 11/29 was built.

As much flak as W1W received, it has proved very beneficial. 2031 marks the maturity date of the $1.1B price tag.

stl07

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm

TWA302 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Yea that makes sense, I guess from someone who has never been to SC, it just seemed rather excessive to fly to Hilton Head, MYR, and Charleston.

dcaproducer

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:15 pm

TWA302 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:
Hey STL folks-

As much flak as W1W received, it has proved very beneficial. 2031 marks the maturity date of the $1.1B price tag.

It will all pay off for decades to come. If WN gets back on track, and traffic increases, they’ll need that runway.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:04 am

deltaflyertoo wrote:
Hey STL folks-

Yes, when they push back they do block that taxiway. But as dca mentioned there is the other taxiway that can be used to get around it somewhat. Airlines in A shouldn’t have to ever go by C so that cuts down on planes going thru there. WN usually hops out to the other taxiway so really they would only be blocking other AA planes.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm

If anyone is waiting on a global entry interview a bunch just opened up.

stlgph

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Yes, when TWA was around - there were planes planes and more planes - everywhere, anywhere and well, if you happened to ever see one sitting out on I-70 - you wouldn't have been surprised -- all on taxi to a runway, from a runway, or waiting for a gate.

And my, what we wouldn't give it to have those days again.

dcaproducer

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
Yes, when TWA was around - there were planes planes and more planes - everywhere, anywhere and well, if you happened to ever see one sitting out on I-70 - you wouldn't have been surprised -- all on taxi to a runway, from a runway, or waiting for a gate.

Remember the parking lot off of Lindbergh where people would sit and watch the planes landing? We’d play a game to guess anything that wasn’t a TWA aircraft. Haha

TWA302

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:15 am

dcaproducer wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Remember the parking lot off of Lindbergh where people would sit and watch the planes landing? We’d play a game to guess anything that wasn’t a TWA aircraft. Haha

Yep! Right next to India Palace. I always had mt birthday dinners as a kid at the Aero Squadron so I could watch the planes.

stlgph

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:36 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Yes. That was a lot of fun. Closest we could get to Wayne's World :)

Jshank83

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:06 am

October stats for BLV are out.

October was UP 10 passengers over last year.
Now down 26% on the year.

I am impressed they are actually up over last year for a month.

dcaproducer

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

It only took 20 years, but I think BLV has a good operation with Allegiant. I'm sure they'd like a second carrier for some extra safety, but I don't think that's realistic.
It will be interesting to see what happens as travel rebounds even more and as BLV completes their expansion of the terminal.

TWA302

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

That is great news for them! Happy to see the growth. Let's hope it continues.

maps4ltd

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm

The placeholder summer schedule has a 737-700 on STL-EWR for United. Probably won't hold (they haven't gotten around to cutting summer much), but nice to see anyway.

maps4ltd

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Found a picture taken from a Southwest plane (737-300 or -500) at E4, of an AirTran 717 at E6 during the merger. It's viewable here: https://foursquare.com/v/gate-e4/4c0517 ... 3cb6a00807. Taken in 2012.

I remember around 2012 when AT had their check in counters west of the main TSA checkpoint by the Starbucks (they moved from T1). Those counters were vacant for a while, then Wow Air dressed them up in purple for a year, and now they're vacant again.

Jshank83

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:53 am

maps4ltd wrote:
The placeholder summer schedule has a 737-700 on STL-EWR for United. Probably won't hold (they haven't gotten around to cutting summer much), but nice to see anyway.

Last year pre covid they had it scheduled for 3 mainlines to EWR a day over the summer. Maybe making up slack for WN pulling out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos