Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Welcome to the Swiss Aviation Thread 2021. Please continue to post your news and your discussion here.

Link to previous thread:

Swiss Aviation Thread - 2020
 
LXA340
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:49 pm

Just in time for the new year LX received their 3rd A320 NEO today, HB-JDC.

I also noticed that the restriction for the A220's not to fly higher than 28'000 Feet was lifted recently, looks like they could fix the issues with the engines.
 
AntonovA330
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:34 am

LXA340 wrote:
Just in time for the new year LX received their 3rd A320 NEO today, HB-JDC.

I also noticed that the restriction for the A220's not to fly higher than 28'000 Feet was lifted recently, looks like they could fix the issues with the engines.


I wondered when thats gonna be the case, it took quite a while. Maybe also due to low loads? Nice to see anyway.
Good day to you sir! Please turn left, your seat is in the first row.
 
DUSZRH
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:49 pm

AntonovA330 wrote:
LXA340 wrote:
Just in time for the new year LX received their 3rd A320 NEO today, HB-JDC.

I also noticed that the restriction for the A220's not to fly higher than 28'000 Feet was lifted recently, looks like they could fix the issues with the engines.


I wondered when thats gonna be the case, it took quite a while. Maybe also due to low loads? Nice to see anyway.


They wanted to lift it for the whole fleet, that's why it took that long.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11879
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:57 am

A rare visitor for ZRH, TUI Netherlands 788 PH-TFL arrived in ZRH carrying the U20 Ice Hockey Teams of Finland and Switzerland which routed AMS-YEG-HEL-ZRH-AMS

Image

https://twitter.com/ZRHworker/status/13 ... 53381?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
musapapaya
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:02 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am

LXA340 wrote:
Just in time for the new year LX received their 3rd A320 NEO today, HB-JDC.

I also noticed that the restriction for the A220's not to fly higher than 28'000 Feet was lifted recently, looks like they could fix the issues with the engines.


Good news! I wonder if the manufacturer will be paying back some of the extra fuel burnt - this restrictions must have lasted more than 18 months??
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5211
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Swiss says it will only plan 50% capacity for S21.
Says resumption of long-haul network, especially to the U.S. is a crucial part in its recovery.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... -us-routes
mercure f-wtcc
 
777luver
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 pm

I wonder if the A340s will be kept after the W2020/2021 schedule ends
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm

At Edelweiss they will I guess, at LX probably too.
 
Capricorn
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Swiss says it will only plan 50% capacity for S21.
Says resumption of long-haul network, especially to the U.S. is a crucial part in its recovery.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... -us-routes


Thanks for posting. As LX is long-haul heavy this is a given for them. Will be interesting to see the development of LX in the post C19 world (that hopefully starts ASAP). I suspect that there will be intense competition on TATL routs and some rockbottom margin Y fares. I suspect that future growth (or rather a return to 2019 levels) WK might benefit as they are less premium heavy and more focused on leisure travel.
 
miaintl
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:54 pm

When will LX return to MIA and LAX?
 
jghealey
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:52 am

I'm sure the A340s will be kept given that they've just been refurbished. Are the plans to add Premium Economy to the 777s still going ahead/has it been delayed/cancelled?
 
Rubani294
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 pm

miaintl wrote:
When will LX return to MIA and LAX?

Heard LAX will resume from 27Jan - 1 x weekly - though not sure if its Cargo only flight or regular PAX flight
MIA is scheduled from 01-Mar - 3 X weekly
 
DALCE
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:08 pm

correct, LAX will be 1 weekly from 27JAN onwards ops 77W

Also LX will start ops to :

ZRH-KIX 1x weekly
ZRH-LIM 1x weekly
ZRH-ICN 1x weekly

all ops 77W.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,7M8
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.
 
User avatar
starkwind
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:30 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

DALCE wrote:
ZRH-LIM 1x weekly


Are you sure they will star Lima, Peru?
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 4626
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Any word on when JFK-GVA resumes?
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1514
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

SWISS website shows a flight from GVA to JFK on Sun 28-March with seats available, but as to whether that actually happens...
 
Capricorn
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Probably there is high cargo demand on these routs. I can't imagine that LX will fly long term to LIM as that would be an ideal destination for WK, as I don't think there is a strong F and J demand. (Peru has just recently decided on stricter entry requirements, same as Japan, so I can't see the pax demand).

Once international travel is possible in a more or less normal fashion again I can't see any of the three destinations remaining in LX's network. KIX was a new destination designed for the best aviation market (something unlikely to be the case before 2025), ICN has usually a KE service and LIM is a leisure destination with lower premium demand (good option for WK though).

Sources:
Peru https://www.traveloffpath.com/peru-effe ... tine-rule/
Japan: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... -citizens/
 
panamair
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Rubani294 wrote:
miaintl wrote:
When will LX return to MIA and LAX?

Heard LAX will resume from 27Jan - 1 x weekly - though not sure if its Cargo only flight or regular PAX flight
MIA is scheduled from 01-Mar - 3 X weekly


It looks like LAX is cargo-only (not available for pax sales) but MIA appears to be on sale (Tu Th Sa from ZRH).
 
xorrygva
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 pm

[*]
davidjohnson6 wrote:
SWISS website shows a flight from GVA to JFK on Sun 28-March with seats available, but as to whether that actually happens...


GVA-JFK should only restart this Summer from the latest I heard from the airport. QR, CA, AC and at least one UA flight as well. Less certainty about KQ.
 
User avatar
AMIKI
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 am

jghealey wrote:
I'm sure the A340s will be kept given that they've just been refurbished. Are the plans to add Premium Economy to the 777s still going ahead/has it been delayed/cancelled?


According to a direct request via Instagram, Swiss has just posponed the "Premium Economy Project". Date is not known yet.
 
DALCE
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 pm

starkwind wrote:
DALCE wrote:
ZRH-LIM 1x weekly


Are you sure they will star Lima, Peru?


yes, I am. LX26** / LX27** flightnumbers appear to be cargo only ;)
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,7M8
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.
 
User avatar
starkwind
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:30 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm

DALCE wrote:
yes, I am. LX26** / LX27** flightnumbers appear to be cargo only ;)


Thank you! That is a first, correct? Tried to find something about it, but google wasn't too helpful.
 
DALCE
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 am

I guess so, LX has no freighters in the fleet, and normally is a passenger airline. These times are different and cargo is generating cash-flow, so makes sense to me. AA, DL, BA and many others are doing the same.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,7M8
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.
 
Rubani294
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:14 am

panamair wrote:
Rubani294 wrote:
miaintl wrote:
When will LX return to MIA and LAX?

Heard LAX will resume from 27Jan - 1 x weekly - though not sure if its Cargo only flight or regular PAX flight
MIA is scheduled from 01-Mar - 3 X weekly


It looks like LAX is cargo-only (not available for pax sales) but MIA appears to be on sale (Tu Th Sa from ZRH).

It seems like MIA won't be starting on 01-Mar as earlier announced. Currently suspended UFN.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26645
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:04 am

Rubani294 wrote:
panamair wrote:
Rubani294 wrote:
Heard LAX will resume from 27Jan - 1 x weekly - though not sure if its Cargo only flight or regular PAX flight
MIA is scheduled from 01-Mar - 3 X weekly


It looks like LAX is cargo-only (not available for pax sales) but MIA appears to be on sale (Tu Th Sa from ZRH).

It seems like MIA won't be starting on 01-Mar as earlier announced. Currently suspended UFN.


01-Mar schedules always seemed optimistic. MIA actually did resume, one the first to do so, but then was switched out for LH to FRA.
a.
 
miaintl
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Mia-zrh is still bookable for April though.
 
runway23
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:54 pm

miaintl wrote:
Mia-zrh is still bookable for April though.


The international schedule isn’t updated yet past March 27th.
 
Blerg
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Starting from March 1st, Air Serbia will introduce two weekly flights between Belgrade and Geneva.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/01/ai ... rvice.html

Since Switzerland suspended mandatory quarantine for those coming from Serbia, JU will also increase BEG-ZRH to daily starting from 01.02.2021.

Serbia is among the first countries in Europe to start mass vaccination so I expect market to start recovering quite fast.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5211
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Amazing to see LX reduced its Geneva operations "to an absolute minimum" to mere 20 weekly flights (13 ZRH, 7 FRA)

https://swiss.newsmarket.com/english/pr ... cbe7fd8372

Overall LX in February will operate only 10 percent of its network services compared to 2019.
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5211
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:58 pm

Swiss issued legal notice it plans to terminate its pilots collective labour agreements following failed talks with Aeropers union on sufficient concessions.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... otiations/
mercure f-wtcc
 
Blerg
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:20 am

How is ZRH doing these days? How badly was its traffic affected?
 
Someone83
Posts: 5383
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:14 am

According to Skyliner, Swiss is returning HB-IOK to its lessor. Almost 22 years after it was delivered, to then, Swissair

Airbus A321 -111 987 HB-IOK Swiss International ferried 08feb21 ZRH-SNN-CDT, basic cs on return to lessor
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5211
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:51 pm

LX extends its "minimum" Geneva flight operations until 27 March.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -27-march/
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
eurotrader85
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Blerg wrote:
How is ZRH doing these days? How badly was its traffic affected?


Pretty abysmal, and now government has added a bunch more countries and territories to the quarantine list, including Serbia, Albania, Berlin and Paris.

"In January 2021, 287’767 passengers passed through Zurich Airport, corresponding to a decrease of 86.6% compared to last year.

Local passengers decreased by 84.5% to 229’080 in January 2021. The transfer rate is at 19.7% in the month under review (-11.4 percentage points vs. previous year) and transfer passengers decreased by 91.6% to 56’342.
In January 2021, air traffic movements decreased to 5’553 (-73.0% vs. previous year). The average passenger per movement figure decreased to 79.4 (-34.6% vs. previous year). The average seat load factor is at 45.6% (-26.3 percentage points vs. previous year).

In January 2021, a total of 23’685 tonnes of freight were transported at Zurich Airport. This corresponds to a decrease in freight volume of 29.0% compared to last year
."

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/zuri ... 2021-86-6/
 
Blerg
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 am

eurotrader85 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
How is ZRH doing these days? How badly was its traffic affected?


Pretty abysmal, and now government has added a bunch more countries and territories to the quarantine list, including Serbia, Albania, Berlin and Paris.

"In January 2021, 287’767 passengers passed through Zurich Airport, corresponding to a decrease of 86.6% compared to last year.

Local passengers decreased by 84.5% to 229’080 in January 2021. The transfer rate is at 19.7% in the month under review (-11.4 percentage points vs. previous year) and transfer passengers decreased by 91.6% to 56’342.
In January 2021, air traffic movements decreased to 5’553 (-73.0% vs. previous year). The average passenger per movement figure decreased to 79.4 (-34.6% vs. previous year). The average seat load factor is at 45.6% (-26.3 percentage points vs. previous year).

In January 2021, a total of 23’685 tonnes of freight were transported at Zurich Airport. This corresponds to a decrease in freight volume of 29.0% compared to last year
."

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/zuri ... 2021-86-6/


Serbia will be a pretty big blow for ZRH as in 2019 there were, if I remember correctly, around 450.000 passengers flying between BEG and ZRH. Pretty busy route with decent passenger volume.

Serbia vaccinated close to 11% of its population. I can't understand why they don't allow those who are vaccinated to travel freely.
 
Capricorn
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
How is ZRH doing these days? How badly was its traffic affected?


Pretty abysmal, and now government has added a bunch more countries and territories to the quarantine list, including Serbia, Albania, Berlin and Paris.

"In January 2021, 287’767 passengers passed through Zurich Airport, corresponding to a decrease of 86.6% compared to last year.

Local passengers decreased by 84.5% to 229’080 in January 2021. The transfer rate is at 19.7% in the month under review (-11.4 percentage points vs. previous year) and transfer passengers decreased by 91.6% to 56’342.
In January 2021, air traffic movements decreased to 5’553 (-73.0% vs. previous year). The average passenger per movement figure decreased to 79.4 (-34.6% vs. previous year). The average seat load factor is at 45.6% (-26.3 percentage points vs. previous year).

In January 2021, a total of 23’685 tonnes of freight were transported at Zurich Airport. This corresponds to a decrease in freight volume of 29.0% compared to last year
."

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/zuri ... 2021-86-6/


Serbia will be a pretty big blow for ZRH as in 2019 there were, if I remember correctly, around 450.000 passengers flying between BEG and ZRH. Pretty busy route with decent passenger volume.

Serbia vaccinated close to 11% of its population. I can't understand why they don't allow those who are vaccinated to travel freely.


It remains unclear if vaccinated individuals can potentially still spread the virus or not. There seems to be no definite answer to that question yet, and it also depends on the vaccine administered. In light of different C19 strains, restricting travel remains one of the few options in order to slows the spread. Travel restrictions are unlikely to be lifted in the immediate future.
 
HBJZA
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:29 am

easyJet Switzerland will launch AYT from GVA twice a week starting 1st of June. Flights bookable
 
Blerg
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 am

Capricorn wrote:
Blerg wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:

Pretty abysmal, and now government has added a bunch more countries and territories to the quarantine list, including Serbia, Albania, Berlin and Paris.

"In January 2021, 287’767 passengers passed through Zurich Airport, corresponding to a decrease of 86.6% compared to last year.

Local passengers decreased by 84.5% to 229’080 in January 2021. The transfer rate is at 19.7% in the month under review (-11.4 percentage points vs. previous year) and transfer passengers decreased by 91.6% to 56’342.
In January 2021, air traffic movements decreased to 5’553 (-73.0% vs. previous year). The average passenger per movement figure decreased to 79.4 (-34.6% vs. previous year). The average seat load factor is at 45.6% (-26.3 percentage points vs. previous year).

In January 2021, a total of 23’685 tonnes of freight were transported at Zurich Airport. This corresponds to a decrease in freight volume of 29.0% compared to last year
."

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/zuri ... 2021-86-6/


Serbia will be a pretty big blow for ZRH as in 2019 there were, if I remember correctly, around 450.000 passengers flying between BEG and ZRH. Pretty busy route with decent passenger volume.

Serbia vaccinated close to 11% of its population. I can't understand why they don't allow those who are vaccinated to travel freely.


It remains unclear if vaccinated individuals can potentially still spread the virus or not. There seems to be no definite answer to that question yet, and it also depends on the vaccine administered. In light of different C19 strains, restricting travel remains one of the few options in order to slows the spread. Travel restrictions are unlikely to be lifted in the immediate future.


Yes but travel restrictions can only calm the situation a little bit. Once restrictions are removed you are back to square one. Switzerland seems to have a rather schizophrenic policy of adding and removing countries all the time from their red list. This is not sustainable and ca't work long-term.
A solution must be found to balance things out otherwise you risk becoming a new North Korea, cut off from the world.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1514
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 am

Fly Bair have put their Bern - Mallorca route on sale (apologies if I'm late at noticing this)
The thing that surprised me, was that flights seem to be operated by Lions Air, a Swiss charter airline who seem to be more geared towards helicopters and general aviation. I would have expected something like Helvetic who are more oriented towards passenger jets to be used instead. Anyone know the story behind this ?
https://www.bernairport.ch/en/destinati ... n?dest=PMI
The aircraft seems to be an E190 - Helvetic fly E190s, but I didn't know Lions Air flew E190s

Separately, it seems that Lugano has lost its last scheduled route and now becomes a zombie airport - Silver Air (the Czech company, not the one in N.America) have cancelled flying from Lugano in summer 2021
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 4626
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Looks like Swiss have extended the GVA cuts to late March 2021, with just 7 weekly flights to FRA and 13 weekly to ZRH until then.
 
debonair
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:10 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Fly Bair have put their Bern - Mallorca route on sale (apologies if I'm late at noticing this)
The thing that surprised me, was that flights seem to be operated by Lions Air, a Swiss charter airline who seem to be more geared towards helicopters and general aviation. I would have expected something like Helvetic who are more oriented towards passenger jets to be used instead. Anyone know the story behind this ?
https://www.bernairport.ch/en/destinati ... n?dest=PMI
The aircraft seems to be an E190 - Helvetic fly E190s, but I didn't know Lions Air flew E190s


Very strange - it seems only operating these 2 flights a week and on Saturday is a large gap between arrival and departure in PMI (more than 6hours ground time)...
 
User avatar
Panagiotis
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:29 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Fly Bair have put their Bern - Mallorca route on sale (apologies if I'm late at noticing this)
The thing that surprised me, was that flights seem to be operated by Lions Air, a Swiss charter airline who seem to be more geared towards helicopters and general aviation. I would have expected something like Helvetic who are more oriented towards passenger jets to be used instead. Anyone know the story behind this ?
https://www.bernairport.ch/en/destinati ... n?dest=PMI
The aircraft seems to be an E190 - Helvetic fly E190s, but I didn't know Lions Air flew E190s

Separately, it seems that Lugano has lost its last scheduled route and now becomes a zombie airport - Silver Air (the Czech company, not the one in N.America) have cancelled flying from Lugano in summer 2021

Wasn't German Airways supposed to operate for Fly Bair ? They also have a fleet of 4 E190.
 
HBJZA
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 am

According to air-journal.fr all Flybair flights will be operated by Helvetic E190.
 
debonair
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Panagiotis wrote:
Wasn't German Airways supposed to operate for Fly Bair ? They also have a fleet of 4 E190.


German Airways pulled out of the project in last minute, AFAIK based on contractual rights.

I think this is absolutely illegal and against all Swiss consumer rights. Flights are only sold by flight number only - without IATA-code, e.g. "7001" with a small information "Flight Operated by partner airline" without any information given, which partner airline is actually flying...

HBJZA wrote:
According to air-journal.fr all Flybair flights will be operated by Helvetic E190.


I only can find a very old article from 2020 - so please provide a link or source, as we talk about this year operation
 
HBJZA
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:10 pm

You’re right, the article is dated feb20. I have found the below that dates from August 20 and states as well that flights are operated by Helvetic.
https://www.hahnair.com/en/carrier/oaw-x1
 
LucaDiMontanari
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

debonair wrote:
Very strange - it seems only operating these 2 flights a week and on Saturday is a large gap between arrival and departure in PMI (more than 6hours ground time)...


Guess, this is space reserved for the w-pattern flights to Sion SIR, as they did it in 2020. Planing further ahead doesn't seem to make much sense right now, thus only these two flights scheduled so far.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Fly Bair have put their Bern - Mallorca route on sale (apologies if I'm late at noticing this)
The thing that surprised me, was that flights seem to be operated by Lions Air, a Swiss charter airline who seem to be more geared towards helicopters and general aviation. I would have expected something like Helvetic who are more oriented towards passenger jets to be used instead. Anyone know the story behind this ?
https://www.bernairport.ch/en/destinati ... n?dest=PMI
The aircraft seems to be an E190 - Helvetic fly E190s, but I didn't know Lions Air flew E190s


Lions Air don't: I still don't know what's the matter behind this strange arrangement to include Lions Air inbetween. Supposedly it was/is some legal stuff, that prohibits FlyBair to charter the planes themselves. Probably related to Brexit, since the wanted to fly to London in winter 20/21 with German Airways/LGW.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Separately, it seems that Lugano has lost its last scheduled route and now becomes a zombie airport - Silver Air (the Czech company, not the one in N.America) have cancelled flying from Lugano in summer 2021


The only thing they flew anyway was to Elba island. To be honest, LUG should finally close the terminal and focus on general aviation.
 
Capricorn
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Some interesting reports on LX subsidiary Edelweiss today.

And now Edelweiss is considering relying entirely on the Airbus A340. The plan is for the two A330-300s to leave the fleet in the current year, according to an internal letter from the holiday airline that aeroTELEGRAPH has received. However, a definitive decision has not yet been made.

The downsizing of the fleet should only be temporary. "If the market situation improves, Edelweiss will examine renewed growth in the long-haul fleet based on a uniform aircraft type," the spokesman said.


Source (in German): https://www.aerotelegraph.com/nur-noch- ... 30-abgeben

IMO that means once demand picks up, WK will be considering the B787. Even though the A350 gets mentioned in the article as well, I think it would just be too big for WK, as WK already put 315 seats in its A333 and 314 in its A343 respectively. Will be interesting to see if WK goes for a different WB type than LX, or if that means we will see B787s at LX as well.

Also looks like long haul leisure demand will initially not come back strong enough (WK has many contracts with travel agents in Switzerland, so they have a good sense where the market is going).
 
Blerg
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:07 am

Air Serbia is going ahead with the GVA launch, first flight is scheduled to depart Belgrade at 07.00 tomorrow.

https://beg.aero/cir/letovi#departures

I was told there are 27 and 35 passengers on the first flight.
 
LXA340
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Re: Swiss Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:01 pm

I heard some rumor that LX is considering to get rid of it's B77W's given that the capacity will be to large for their needs over the comming years. Assuming this would be the case, I could see the 12 frames to move to LH as a replacement for the A346/B744 and partial substitute of the B779 of which LH has reduced the total number of ordered planes. Instead we would see the B77W's eventually be replaced by dreamliners and or A350's.

Over the past months I also heard that LX wanted to get rid of it's A330's and eventually replace / add new aircraft to the fleet over the next years when deman will require it from the A350 / Drealiner order of LH Group. I guess one of these two scenarios / rumours will eventually be true, let's see what will happen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos