Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ryga

Re: Orlando Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:

I think there might be a better chance of seeing Breeze at DAB. The airport authority at DAB is desperate for new, low-cost service and would be willing to pay incentives to an airline like Breeze. There is a decent catchment area for DAB that includes Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, New Smyrna Beach, Palm Coast, DeLand, Orange City and Deltona. With the improvements to I-95 & I-4 in that area, it is a pretty easy drive to DAB from all of those cities.

As for SFB, I think Allegiant has too much pull with the airport authority to allow a direct competitor into one of their major focus cities.

It would be nice to have a west side alternate for Orlando, but I don't think with the pandemic, I don't think Lakeland (LAL) is still looking for commerical service, might be possible with the reduction of traffic between LAL and WDW. Could also perhaps be a Tampa alternate as G4 is big at PIE and may not be willing to let Breeze set up there, though perhaps SRQ is an alternate
They can mimic what TUI is doing and go to MLB. TUI thinks they can get people to drive to Disney and book beach vacations so maybe this is something Breeze would consider. After all, Melbourne did rebrand to "Orlando Melbourne".

TUI don’t tend to do that now, Transfers are included as with normal package holidays - however the option for Car Hire is available.

FLALEFTY

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

flymco753 wrote:
G4 added SFB-EYW

Not surprised. I was up at SFB for business yesterday and noticed G4 had 3 A320's and 2 A319's parked in the remote lots. I guess this will give one of them (presumably one of the A319's) something to do rather than have it sit while the tires slowly deflate on the ramp.

EYW has to be the most over-serviced small airport in the United States. Trust me, I've been to Key West many times and you can get all of the "good times" out of the place in a single day trip, unless you are heavy into game fishing or reef diving.

flymco753

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
G4 added SFB-EYW

Not surprised. I was up at SFB for business yesterday and noticed G4 had 3 A320's and 2 A319's parked in the remote lots. I guess this will give one of them (presumably one of the A319's) something to do rather than have it sit while the tires slowly deflate on the ramp.

EYW has to be the most over-serviced small airport in the United States. Trust me, I've been to Key West many times and you can get all of the "good times" out of the place in a single day trip, unless you are heavy into game fishing or reef diving.
I hate taking my car down there, I'd much rather rent a golf cart or a 2 seater leisure vehicle for the weekend. I might use this service but if F9 or NK jump on it I'll use them because I'm closer to MCO.

Happytycho

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm

Clipper136 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Do we have anytime frame for the next phase of terminal C?

Pre-planning was already moving forward, Pre-pendemic! It was thought that construction would begin directly after the completion of Phase 1 (and Phase 1X that was includes in Phase 1 but has had parts halted due to the pandemic). Now? It depends on the recovery. Conservative estimates are 6-8 years. Less conservative estimates are 4-5 years. Anyone's guess at this point.

It really just depends on how quickly passenger traffic rebounds after the pandemic. Phase 1X probably isn't needed until the airport reaches 60-65 million annual passengers and phase 2 not until 65-70 million passengers.

Scraig08

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Happytycho wrote:
Clipper136 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Do we have anytime frame for the next phase of terminal C?

Pre-planning was already moving forward, Pre-pendemic! It was thought that construction would begin directly after the completion of Phase 1 (and Phase 1X that was includes in Phase 1 but has had parts halted due to the pandemic). Now? It depends on the recovery. Conservative estimates are 6-8 years. Less conservative estimates are 4-5 years. Anyone's guess at this point.

It really just depends on how quickly passenger traffic rebounds after the pandemic. Phase 1X probably isn't needed until the airport reaches 60-65 million annual passengers and phase 2 not until 65-70 million passengers.

Because of COVID, that's probably 8-10 years away. If it wasn't for that, it would be needed by 2025

gdavis003

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
G4 added SFB-EYW

I was looking at SFB on FlightAware yesterday to check on something and G4’s Monday/Tuesday ops and mid-week ops, in general, out of SFB are virtually nonexistent. I guess the Disney traffic comes in and leaves on weekends, but I don’t think there was a single G4 flight out of SFB yesterday, which shocked me.

jscottwomack

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
G4 added SFB-EYW

I was looking at SFB on FlightAware yesterday to check on something and G4’s Monday/Tuesday ops and mid-week ops, in general, out of SFB are virtually nonexistent. I guess the Disney traffic comes in and leaves on weekends, but I don’t think there was a single G4 flight out of SFB yesterday, which shocked me.

If you go in and look at their business model, in the past they operated NO flights on Tuesday. They were closed and fleet was parked. Las Vegas would have T-Tails lined up all over the place. They were (still are) a leisure operator and knew that very few people flew for vacations on Tuesdays.

flymco753

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

jscottwomack wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:

If you go in and look at their business model, in the past they operated NO flights on Tuesday. They were closed and fleet was parked. Las Vegas would have T-Tails lined up all over the place. They were (still are) a leisure operator and knew that very few people flew for vacations on Tuesdays.
It's interesting the way G4 runs cmpared to F9 & NK.

Lavdumper

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 pm

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this lately which will be directly adjacent to MCO if it comes to fruition:

https://www.lakenona.com/articles/taking-flight/

Would be interesting to see how they will develop traffic patterns around MCO for the VTOL aircraft. Very curious to see how all of this develops over time. Never been in that area, but sounds like maybe a nice place to live (and spot airplanes) too.

BigTikiGuy

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Lavdumper wrote:
I am surprised nobody has mentioned this lately which will be directly adjacent to MCO if it comes to fruition:

https://www.lakenona.com/articles/taking-flight/

Would be interesting to see how they will develop traffic patterns around MCO for the VTOL aircraft. Very curious to see how all of this develops over time. Never been in that area, but sounds like maybe a nice place to live (and spot airplanes) too.

2025 operational date is...aspirational at best.

flymco753

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Another solid add for Silver. MCO-GSP starting in March.

evank516

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
G4 added SFB-EYW

I’ve also been to Key West many times and I usually go for 4-7 days at a time. Those who go usually go to patronize their favorite bars and restaurants (and bartenders and servers) and relax. EYW is nothing compared to the mainland and people like it. Those who go for the “good times” are the ones who go by cruise ship. Those who go for the people and the businesses and the environment go for days to a week or two. EYW is not over served, but it’s at capacity. It’s popular with many.

Scraig08

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:10 pm

What sort of hub with JetBlue be at MCO when they transfer over to Terminal C next year? I would hope there would be more service to Latin America and a West Coast Expansion

elbandgeek

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:36 pm

I feel like it's worth mentioning here that Disney is shutting down Magical Express next year when the current contract with Mears is up. It goes without saying that no one is happy about it but they used the decline in use from the pandemic as an excuse to cut more value out of their resorts. I was hoping they would set up a new space in the intermodal center but instead they just decided to go away completely when the brightline extension will still be years away at that point.

Chapek hasn't been CEO for a full year and he's already going full Doug Parker :banghead:

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 am

elbandgeek wrote:
I feel like it's worth mentioning here that Disney is shutting down Magical Express next year when the current contract with Mears is up. It goes without saying that no one is happy about it but they used the decline in use from the pandemic as an excuse to cut more value out of their resorts. I was hoping they would set up a new space in the intermodal center but instead they just decided to go away completely when the brightline extension will still be years away at that point.

Chapek hasn't been CEO for a full year and he's already going full Doug Parker :banghead:

Same blanker that had cut the parks entertainment back.

Everyone is pissed at the Magical Express cut. Disney is actually encouraging folks to rent cars and explore staying off resort. Magical Express was to discourage that and keep those staying on resort at the resort. Universal must be overjoyed.

flymco753

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:23 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:

Everyone is pissed at the Magical Express cut. Disney is actually encouraging folks to rent cars and explore staying off resort. Magical Express was to discourage that and keep those staying on resort at the resort. Universal must be overjoyed.
Disney as I remember at it's pinnacle point was in the late 90's. The magic was no fast passes, no parade every 20 minutes, and no stupid virtual queues like RoR. The DME ending is a shame, but people did it in the past without. Although, seeing Disney's new CEO's salary and involvement in politics "irks" me.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 am

flymco753 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:

Disney as I remember at it's pinnacle point was in the late 90's. The magic was no fast passes, no parade every 20 minutes, and no stupid virtual queues like RoR. The DME ending is a shame, but people did it in the past without. Although, seeing Disney's new CEO's salary and involvement in politics "irks" me.

The fact you have to to plan and set appointments for rides and restaurants months outs is ridiculous. It is why I enjoyed Disneyland Paris so much. All that wasn't needed. Disney builds rides without the capacity needed. Example is look at the trains on Big Thunder compared to the trains that will be on Tron. They cut a lot of the length of Snow White that would have allowed another train for capacity. It took them forever to address that issue with Soarin' finally adding theather screens. They Made the same mistakes with all the new Stars Wars stuff and learned nothing from Rivers of Light. It is all an attempt for you to add days to your stay. Their attendance was down before Covid.

F9LASDEN

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 am

F9 is resuming both MCO-SAN and MCO-PHX. Both will be daily, with SAN starting on 3/7/21 and PHX starting on 3/11/21. If I’m not mistaken, SAN was flown right up until COVID started (but may have stopped sooner), while PHX hasn’t been flown since Winter of 2017-2018.

https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... d-phoenix/

flymco753

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 am

F9LASDEN wrote:
F9 is resuming both MCO-SAN and MCO-PHX. Both will be daily, with SAN starting on 3/7/21 and PHX starting on 3/11/21. If I’m not mistaken, SAN was flown right up until COVID started (but may have stopped sooner), while PHX hasn’t been flown since Winter of 2017-2018.

On and off routes for MCO. I'm hoping to hear AF/DL go to Paris!

Scraig08

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm

flymco753 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:

I think DL is more than likely will take up that route. Most likely won't see it this year but probably in 2022 5x a week on a 767 aircraft

flymco753

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:20 pm

Last edited by flymco753 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flymco753

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:

I think DL is more than likely will take up that route. Most likely won't see it this year but probably in 2022 5x a week on a 767 aircraft
Probably, but I think CDG will come at the cost of AMS. I think the markets that we appeal to is better served through CDG anyhow if we talk AMS v CDG. I'd look for an end of summer announcement this year if Delta successfully goes break even on schedule. Space won't be an issue, Airside 4 will have a clearing house when Terminal C opens.

Scraig08

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:01 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Probably, but I think CDG will come at the cost of AMS. I think the markets that we appeal to is better served through CDG anyhow if we talk AMS v CDG. I'd look for an end of summer announcement this year if Delta successfully goes break even on schedule. Space won't be an issue, Airside 4 will have a clearing house when Terminal C opens.

It'll be interesting to see how MCO shapes up when airlines start moving to Terminal C. Airside 4 will probably be all Delta with a myriad of international carriers. I would anticipate that there will be an influx of new service added Fall 2021 into Spring 2022 to make way for the new terminal as well as to coincide with Disney World's 50th

MAH4546

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Amsterdam is discontinued and no airline has yet to resume even London. I think Paris is a few years away.

jomur

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:09 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:

People where still leaving WDW to visit other places even when they took the Magical Express from the airport, it did not keep them on property. They just used Uber etc to get around town as it can work out cheaper than a car.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 am

jomur wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:

People where still leaving WDW to visit other places even when they took the Magical Express from the airport, it did not keep them on property. They just used Uber etc to get around town as it can work out cheaper than a car.

I know what people do vs what Disney would like them to do, lol.

flymco753

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:31 pm

Sun Country adds BDL & IND from MCO additional to their MSP & MSN flights. These flights are slated to begin in the fall.

flymco753

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:38 pm

I think the chances of Silver Airways adding MCO, TPA, & FLL or JAX to SAV, MGM, & ILM are all possible in the future. They seem to have ventured into flying routes beyond the traditional intra-Florida services since the ATR42/72 adds range and fuel efficiency over the Saab. The ATR cabin is pretty fresh compared to the Saab.

flymco753

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

Amsterdam is discontinued and no airline has yet to resume even London. I think Paris is a few years away.
Amsterdam will most likely be gone at the expense of Delta adding CDG, I'd say a target start of 2023 is feasible.

MAH4546

Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:15 pm

flymco753 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Amsterdam will most likely be gone at the expense of Delta adding CDG, I'd say a target start of 2023 is feasible.

I don’t agree. Not only is Amsterdam a larger local market, but it also better feeds into the UK (KLM has a big regional network from there and it’s actually a very quick hop) and Northern Europe, much more important markets than Southern Europe, which is virtually nonexistent demand to Orlando.

Scraig08

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:58 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I don’t agree. Not only is Amsterdam a larger local market, but it also better feeds into the UK (KLM has a big regional network from there and it’s actually a very quick hop) and Northern Europe, much more important markets than Southern Europe, which is virtually nonexistent demand to Orlando.

Once international service resumes for Europe, I think MCO will be stuck with LGW, LHR, MAN, FRA, DUB, AMS, and KEF with year round service for a number of years. The only new destinations I can see in Europe will be CDG, MUC, and potentially MAD but this is all 2-5 years away

flymco753

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Once international service resumes for Europe, I think MCO will be stuck with LGW, LHR, MAN, FRA, DUB, AMS, and KEF with year round service for a number of years. The only new destinations I can see in Europe will be CDG, MUC, and potentially MAD but this is all 2-5 years away
For South America, GRU and LIM will return and possibly EZE.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:01 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

For South America, GRU and LIM will return and possibly EZE.

Definitely GRU and LIM (but Lima I bet farther away from re-start), and BSB with Gol.

I don't see Buenos Aires resuming at all. It was a niche market anyway.

flymco753

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Has G4 flown SFB-RAP before? They just added a summer seasonal flight and for some reason i thought they already flew it.

Scraig08

Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:48 pm

Is there a possibility that UAL could create a focus-city or a mini-hub at MCO as direct competition with AA in MIA or DL in ATL? Not now but another 10 years down the road. Create some sort of gateway between the southeast and the Caribbean as well as dip in to Latin America i.e Brazil?

MCO is home to a maintenance base

jplatts

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 am

Scraig08 wrote:
Is there a possibility that UAL could create a focus-city or a mini-hub at MCO as direct competition with AA in MIA or DL in ATL? Not now but another 10 years down the road. Create some sort of gateway between the southeast and the Caribbean as well as dip in to Latin America i.e Brazil?

WN adding MCO-CUN/GCM/NAS/PLS/PUJ/SJO nonstop service are possibilities with the significant connecting feed that WN has from the Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast at MCO.

flymco753

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 am

Scraig08 wrote:

DL touted a focus city to employees at MCO at one point but it obviously never came to fruition. Believe it or not people did connect in MCO to get to the UK on VS.

Scraig08

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

DL touted a focus city to employees at MCO at one point but it obviously never came to fruition. Believe it or not people did connect in MCO to get to the UK on VS.

That surprises me because I've flown VS and I didn't particularly like it. I would like to see a DL nonstop service to the UK from MCO

flymco753

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

That surprises me because I've flown VS and I didn't particularly like it. I would like to see a DL nonstop service to the UK from MCO
Believe it or not, Delta's ramp sets aside some LD3 cans for connection passengers. It was more common to see passengers connect to MAN than LGW, I'm sure LHR will see some connections when stuff really begins to recover. Aside from VS, there was a good deal of connecting passengers onto GOL as well. MCO is in a good position to connect passengers onto LATAM. The plan was to set up MIA as the LATAM but they don't even have Delta mainline employees on their ramp whereas MCO is controlled both above and below.

krod031

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 am

Just saw on the news here that MCO saw about 21.6 million passengers in 2020, according to a report from the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, which is a 57.29% drop from 2019, when the airport saw a record 50.6 million passengers.

Im curious to see what the other airports did compared to MCO.

MAH4546

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 am

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Believe it or not, Delta's ramp sets aside some LD3 cans for connection passengers. It was more common to see passengers connect to MAN than LGW, I'm sure LHR will see some connections when stuff really begins to recover. Aside from VS, there was a good deal of connecting passengers onto GOL as well. MCO is in a good position to connect passengers onto LATAM. The plan was to set up MIA as the LATAM but they don't even have Delta mainline employees on their ramp whereas MCO is controlled both above and below.

The plans have not changed. Delta will use Miami as a LATAM feeder operation.

crownvic

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 am

krod031 wrote:
Just saw on the news here that MCO saw about 21.6 million passengers in 2020, according to a report from the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, which is a 57.29% drop from 2019, when the airport saw a record 50.6 million passengers.

Im curious to see what the other airports did compared to MCO.

Here is your answer:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1457389

flymco753

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 am

MAH4546 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

The plans have not changed. Delta will use Miami as a LATAM feeder operation.
DL needs mainline employees below wing if they plan on boasting connections onto LATAM primarily because of the access to both DL and LATAMs baggage citrix. They insourced AUS & RDU, time for MIA.

Happytycho

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:40 am

Per the GOAA CEO at yesterday's board meeting, the MCO south terminal is "about 70% complete" and "we expect to be substantially complete at this time next year."

flymco753

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:48 pm

It'll be nice when it's done. Even with the reduced flight schedules surrounding COVID, the additional facilities for B6 will help with consolidation of codeshare partners which I think is a huge problem right now because of the scattered FIS situation.

flymco753

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm

NK announced daily flights from MCO & TPA to SDF beginning in May

FLYKTPA

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm

flymco753 wrote:

Where did you see TPA?

flymco753

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Where did you see TPA?
Oops I meant FLL. TPA will probably come soon enough.

crownvic

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:29 am

Someone wake me up when we go from Spirit, Frontier, Jetblue and Southwest updates, to BA, LH, VS, Latam, Icelandair, Edelweiss Air Canada, Aer Lingus, Emirates or any possible Intl widebody service...

Scraig08

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 pm

crownvic wrote:
Someone wake me up when we go from Spirit, Frontier, Jetblue and Southwest updates, to BA, LH, VS, Latam, Icelandair, Edelweiss Air Canada, Aer Lingus, Emirates or any possible Intl widebody service...

Well talk to these governments and tell them to drop the restrictions. I'm sure international service will be back by July...Fall 2020 is when we will see normal operations at MCO.