Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dabpit

Re: Orlando Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 5:45 pm

flymco753 wrote:
nickpo wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Delta and LATAM's joint-venture was approved in Colombia. It seems like DL has been much quicker to recover MCO compared to MIA, so I wonder if LATAM will add MCO-BOG and feed some traffic from DL.

I would say they first need to start (again) BOG-MIA-BOG, which they keep cancelling.

Btw, I don't know if it was posted here, but Viva is starting MDE-MCO in June and Avianca today had requested permission to fly MDE-MCO.
Agreed about MIA-BOG first, at least that makes the most sense in the he immediate term.

Is anybody willing to bet that MCO will be the O&D destination that they announce first?

After a restart of MIA I’m sure an MCO announcement won’t be too far behind.

It will be interesting to watch Delta’s strategy with LATAM play out especially with how they schedule flights in and out of MIA, MCO, ATL, and JFK.

As for Avianca requesting permission to fly MDE-MCO, if they launch doubt they will last long on the route going up against Spirit and Viva. Avianca has tried GUA and SAL before and those were not successful, Spirit is successful on those routes out of MCO in part because of the fare structure difference (Avianca is an expensive legacy airline).

HeartofFlorida

Thu May 13, 2021 9:40 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
I thought light rail was in the plan from the new MCO transportation hub to disney property.

Brightline is supposed to add an extension to Disney and possibly Tampa, but there is debate over which direction to head from MCO...along 528 or 417. There should be a resolution in the next couple months.

Exactly! That's the same debate when Florida High Speed Rail was voted on before Scott refused $$$ to start the Tampa to Orlando leg.

HeartofFlorida

Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 pm

krod031 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
I thought light rail was in the plan from the new MCO transportation hub to disney property.

I could be wrong, but i believe that is the plan, then to continue onto TPA.

Unless things have changed, the Tampa Terminus will be at or near Union Station in downtown.

dabpit

Wed May 26, 2021 4:26 pm

So KLM is adding service back to Orlando 4x Weekly with the 787-9 via MIA.
https://nieuws.klm.com/klm-breidt-deze- ... temmingen/

mcogator

Wed May 26, 2021 5:11 pm

dabpit wrote:

So DL to CDG looks like a future possibility?

https://orlandoairports.net/press/2021/ ... am-service

flymco753

Wed May 26, 2021 5:34 pm

mcogator wrote:
dabpit wrote:

I could see AF running it 4x weekly on a 789 if DL doesn't with an A330-200.

dabpit

Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 am

flymco753 wrote:
mcogator wrote:
dabpit wrote:

I could see AF running it 4x weekly on a 789 if DL doesn't with an A330-200.

I would rather have the AF 789 over the DL A330-200 or 767-300ER

KMCOFlyer

Thu May 27, 2021 8:07 pm

dabpit wrote:

I assume this will probably be temporary for Winter 21/22 only. By Summer 22, KLM will probably want to resume serving MIA-AMS non-stop full time and DL will likely resume the non-stop MCO-AMS flight.

Scraig08

Thu May 27, 2021 10:54 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
dabpit wrote:

I assume this will probably be temporary for Winter 21/22 only. By Summer 22, KLM will probably want to resume serving MIA-AMS non-stop full time and DL will likely resume the non-stop MCO-AMS flight.

I agree with that but I can also see this lasting until Summer 2022

Scraig08

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm

Does B6 have any plans/intentions on what they'll be doing when they optimize the new terminal? It seems like they are scaling back routes

crownvic

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:27 am

Emirates resumes service today..This along with the Lufthansa recent restart is great news for Orlando!

FLALEFTY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:30 am

This just happened...NK announced the addition/resumption of 20 more flights to MCO over the next few months:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/s ... plocalnews

https://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/new ... fault.aspx

crownvic

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:40 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
This just happened...NK announced the addition/resumption of 20 more flights to MCO over the next few months:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/s ... plocalnews

https://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/new ... fault.aspx

YUCK x 20

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:01 pm

I know the current plan is to move NK to Airside 1 once B6 and the INTL carriers move out to Terminal C next year but wouldn’t it possibly be better for AA to move back to Airside 1 instead? My reasoning for asking is because right now, all 3 of the “big 3” carriers ticketing/baggage claim are in Terminal B and both AA and UA currently share Airside 3 which pre-COVID was the busiest Airside in the airport. Moving AA to B6s old gates in Airside 1 and ticketing/baggage space in Terminal A (which actually use to be PMAA ticketing/baggage space) could help spread out crowding in the airport once Terminal C opens next year.

LASVegan

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:45 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
I know the current plan is to move NK to Airside 1 once B6 and the INTL carriers move out to Terminal C next year but wouldn’t it possibly be better for AA to move back to Airside 1 instead? My reasoning for asking is because right now, all 3 of the “big 3” carriers ticketing/baggage claim are in Terminal B and both AA and UA currently share Airside 3 which pre-COVID was the busiest Airside in the airport. Moving AA to B6s old gates in Airside 1 and ticketing/baggage space in Terminal A (which actually use to be PMAA ticketing/baggage space) could help spread out crowding in the airport once Terminal C opens next year.

Sooo… you are aware that NK is the second largest carrier in MCO and they carry about 35 percent more passengers in and out of MCO than 4th place AA. By your rational, moving them to airside 1 ( Term A) would do more to ease the crowding out of terminal B. Again, NK was the largest contributor to that crowding you speak of on airside 3 as they are the largest airline in the airside 3. Anyone who moves is going to have to move their ticket counters, baggage service office, and operations facilities, but AA if moved , they’d have to also move their Admirals lounge.

tphuang

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 pm

In 5 years, NK will probably be the largest carrier in MCO by enplanement. F9 will be second or third largest. Legacies will retreat to just hub routes. It'd be interesting to see how MCO accommodates this ULCC expansion.

crownvic

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:14 pm

how embarrassing....this is nothing to be proud of...

FLYKTPA

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Why all the Spirit hate on here? It’s odd and probably from people who haven’t flow with Spirit in a long time or ever. More service, no matter the airline is always good for a market. Can’t see Spirit forcing the legacies to “retreat” much at all. 99% of the legacies only serve their hubs and focus cities from MCO anyway, excluding weekend only service of course.

LASVegan

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:57 pm

crownvic wrote:

Got to love the idiocy of this statement. The marketplace is making Spirit what it is, it’s not like MCO is making Spirit it’s 2nd, possibly someday 1st largest carrier. No one is forcing people to fly Spirit. Also I promise you that there is very little difference than the Spirit experience vs the big 3 coach experience these days.

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:05 pm

LASVegan wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Got to love the idiocy of this statement. The marketplace is making Spirit what it is, it’s not like MCO is making Spirit it’s 2nd, possibly someday 1st largest carrier. No one is forcing people to fly Spirit. Also I promise you that there is very little difference than the Spirit experience vs the big 3 coach experience these days.

Please! Not any more idiotic than saying there is very little difference between the Spirit experience and the big 3 in coach.

While Spirit certainly is filling a need from some customers, otherwise they simply wouldn't be in business, the big 3 don't nickel and dime you for everything, not even with their basic economy fares, let alone in standard economy.

FLYKTPA

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 pm

^^^ and that’s why basic on the big three is 99% of the time more expensive still than Spirit. I’d rather fly a ULCC and pay a dirt cheap fare and choose my add-ons. Spirit is more on time anyway and it’s faster to deplane because everyone doesn’t stuff the overhead bins. To each their own. But the hate of ULCC’s is beyond ignorant on this forum.

bretonrlong

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:10 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
^^^ and that’s why basic on the big three is 99% of the time more expensive still than Spirit. I’d rather fly a ULCC and pay a dirt cheap fare and choose my add-ons. Spirit is more on time anyway and it’s faster to deplane because everyone doesn’t stuff the overhead bins. To each their own. But the hate of ULCC’s is beyond ignorant on this forum.

Agreed, for example as much as I love WN. Bags don't truly fly free :-) its already built into the price without the ability to deselect it. Just like when you pull into a gas station and they give you a price discount for using cash. Regardless of whether you pay with a credit card 99% of the places you go the credit card fee is already built into the price.

tphuang

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:11 am

People are really going to be surprised here when NK starts to pick up business travelers on short haul routes. Right now, NK is kind of going after breadth rather than depth. As it keeps getting larger on some of these large leisure markets, it will start of pick up people who are not the most price sensitive. At some point, they are going to probably offer the most destinations out of MCO and will probably have the most reliable schedule to a lot of spaces. If you don't want to connect, NK could be your airline. This has happened all across Europe and Asia.

When NK doubles or triples its size in MCO over the next 5 years, legacies will be gone from those focus city and weekend only services.

FLALEFTY

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 am

NK and F9 are expanding aggressively in Florida, especially at MCO and TPA. They are doing a good job serving the large tourist markets and saving people money doing it. They have relatively-new fleets; they have become way more reliable in on-time performance; and their on-board products are generally comparable to flying coach on the Big 3.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:55 am

bretonrlong wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

Agreed, for example as much as I love WN. Bags don't truly fly free :-) its already built into the price without the ability to deselect it. Just like when you pull into a gas station and they give you a price discount for using cash. Regardless of whether you pay with a credit card 99% of the places you go the credit card fee is already built into the price.

You've gotta do what works for you. I wouldn't. Flying is stressful enough without having to worry about the size and weight of my carry on or whether or not I've downloaded/printed my boarding pass. I'd rather pay a little more not to think about any of that. And have the peace of mind that when things go wrong, I'm left to fend for myself. But each to their own, I guess.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks for that belly laugh :rotfl:

tphuang wrote:
People are really going to be surprised here when NK starts to pick up business travelers on short haul routes.

That's simply not going to happen. If you look at Europe, where ULCCs have been around longer and are significantly larger, they carry very little business traffic. The business model is just wrong for that on so many levels, from creature comforts like food and lounges, to international access, loyalty programs, and so much more. It's been documented, and it's not going to change.

tphuang wrote:
As it keeps getting larger on some of these large leisure markets, it will start of pick up people who are not the most price sensitive.

People who are not price sensitive won't touch a ULCC with a ten foot pole because, well you guessed it, it's not about money.

tphuang wrote:
When NK doubles or triples its size in MCO over the next 5 years, legacies will be gone from those focus city and weekend only services.

Do you actually understand the rationale behind these flights? Legacies are preaching to their own choir. These flights are aimed at people who already fly AA/DL/UA and offer them additional leisure opportunities to earn miles on their own metal.

The size of NK's network has zero impact on these flights and flyers. They wouldn't consider NK in the first place.

Let's make that appointment in 5 years time, shall we? Looking forward to it.

tzadik

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:47 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Please! Not any more idiotic than saying there is very little difference between the Spirit experience and the big 3 in coach.

While Spirit certainly is filling a need from some customers, otherwise they simply wouldn't be in business, the big 3 don't nickel and dime you for everything, not even with their basic economy fares, let alone in standard economy.

The ole' nickel & dime argument...

American Airlines
Priority boarding $9-$79
1st checked bag $30
2nd checked bag $40
Assistance by reservations $50
Preferred seats $4-$139
Main Cabin Extra $20-$280
Carry on pet $125
Food for sale $2-$10
Wifi $10
Change fee $200 (temporarily suspended)

I could go on and on sir. If you think that 30" pitch and a "free" 5oz cup of ice and diet coke (cost of which is rolled into your ticket) equals a premium product then I salute you.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:39 pm

tzadik wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

The ole' nickel & dime argument...

American Airlines
Priority boarding $9-$79
1st checked bag $30
2nd checked bag $40
Assistance by reservations $50
Preferred seats $4-$139
Main Cabin Extra $20-$280
Carry on pet $125
Food for sale $2-$10
Wifi $10
Change fee $200 (temporarily suspended)

I could go on and on sir. If you think that 30" pitch and a "free" 5oz cup of ice and diet coke (cost of which is rolled into your ticket) equals a premium product then I salute you.

Nice try, but if you're a frequent flyer (even better, with status) and/or have a co-brand credit card, most of these don't apply. You get all of that for nought, and then some! Flying with a legacy is also a form of insurance. When things go wrong, you get looked after. If you're a business traveller and working, a lounge provides a quiet and secure space to do so. And the list goes on.

We weren't talking about the kind of travellers trawling Google Flights, Kayak, or whatever these people are using these days to find rock bottom prices. They're probably flying NK already. We were talking about 1. business travellers, and 2. people who are not price sensitive. For these 2 groups, the size of NK's network is simply not relevant. They will continue to fly with legacies.

As I said, ULCCs will work for some people. If that's you, great. Others won't even consider it because they value other things more that bare price.

tzadik

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:03 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Nice try, but if you're a frequent flyer (even better, with status) and/or have a co-brand credit card, most of these don't apply. You get all of that for nought, and then some! Flying with a legacy is also a form of insurance. When things go wrong, you get looked after. If you're a business traveller and working, a lounge provides a quiet and secure space to do so. And the list goes on.

We weren't talking about the kind of travellers trawling Google Flights, Kayak, or whatever these people are using these days to find rock bottom prices. They're probably flying NK already. We were talking about 1. business travellers, and 2. people who are not price sensitive. For these 2 groups, the size of NK's network is simply not relevant. They will continue to fly with legacies.

As I said, ULCCs will work for some people. If that's you, great. Others won't even consider it because they value other things more that bare price.

It's neat when posters here try to compare travelers with elite status (very small percentage of people) on a legacy product to the offerings of a ULCC. If you have elite status, great. Others won't consider your argument because they value comments that have merit.

Perhaps compare the offerings of NK out of MCO to that of an economy class traveller w/o status on AA out of MCO and tell me what you see.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:06 pm

tzadik wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

It's neat when posters here try to compare travelers with elite status (very small percentage of people) on a legacy product to the offerings of a ULCC. If you have elite status, great. Others won't consider your argument because they value comments that have merit.

Perhaps compare the offerings of NK out of MCO to that of an economy class traveller w/o status on AA out of MCO and tell me what you see.

Again, not relevant to the discussion at hand, but enjoy your flights with NK.

tzadik

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:28 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Completely relevant to your nickel and dime comment. Last question, if legacy passengers are not price sensitive, why does over half the plane board in group 9?

Thanks I will, less than $400 return in big front to PVR.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:52 pm

tzadik wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Completely relevant to your nickel and dime comment. Last question, if legacy passengers are not price sensitive, why does over half the plane board in group 9?

Thanks I will, less than $400 return in big front to PVR.

I suggest you read the posts you reply to. All will be clear. :spin:

tzadik

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:18 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Funny… you claimed that certain travelers steer clear of NK because they “nickel & dime”. I gave you direct evidence of the same behavior at a “premium” carrier. Take the L and move on sir.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:02 pm

tzadik wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Funny… you claimed that certain travelers steer clear of NK because they “nickel & dime”. I gave you direct evidence of the same behavior at a “premium” carrier. Take the L and move on sir.

You took one statement completely out of context and gave irrelevant "evidence" to the point being made, although I explained it to you in a previous post. Of course, you would know that if you had taken the trouble of reading that post, rather than flying off the handle for a comment you didn't approve of. I rest my case. :roll:

tphuang

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:10 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Thanks for that belly laugh :rotfl:

tphuang wrote:
People are really going to be surprised here when NK starts to pick up business travelers on short haul routes.

That's simply not going to happen. If you look at Europe, where ULCCs have been around longer and are significantly larger, they carry very little business traffic. The business model is just wrong for that on so many levels, from creature comforts like food and lounges, to international access, loyalty programs, and so much more. It's been documented, and it's not going to change.

some non-legacy hub business routes
MXP-NAP https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... QAFIAZgBAg
all ULCCs
BCN-AGP https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... QAFIAZgBAg
all ULCCs

some major business routes
London-Dublin https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... FAAUgBmAEC
Look at how many flights FR has vs BA and EI.

And this is before you even get to Asia where AirAsia and JetStar dominated a lot of large markets pre-COVID.

When ULCCs become 20 to 30% of the market, they are going to capture business travelers.
People who are not price sensitive won't touch a ULCC with a ten foot pole because, well you guessed it, it's not about money.

simply untrue. I fly around on lie flat whenever I can on 4+ hour flights. Yet when I do intra-Asia/Europe shorthaul travel, I always book the airline that saves me the most time. Very often, that turns out to be on a ULCC

Do you actually understand the rationale behind these flights? Legacies are preaching to their own choir. These flights are aimed at people who already fly AA/DL/UA and offer them additional leisure opportunities to earn miles on their own metal.

The size of NK's network has zero impact on these flights and flyers. They wouldn't consider NK in the first place.

Let's make that appointment in 5 years time, shall we? Looking forward to it.

There is no guarantee that the US domestic market will turn out to be like international market in terms of ULCCs. But the pandemic has given a huge opportunity for ULCCs to take a bite out of legacy carriers.

These Florida routes are generally really low yielding for legacy carriers. Yes, they are flown to keep ff happy. Now, imagine ULCC capacity double/triple to MCO, TPA and RSW in the next 5 years. What would that do to the yield for legacies?

jeffrey1970

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:02 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Happytycho wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I believe it was on last year's thread, if not 2018 where someone broke down who is going to Terminal C and who is staying at the airsides.

I believe it looked like this:

Airside 1: Spirit, Frontier, Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing, Sun Country, Westjet, Swoop

Airside 2: Alaska, Southwest

Airside 3: American, United

Airside 4: Aeromexico, Avianca, Bahamasair, British Airways, Caribbean, Copa, Delta, Edelweiss, GOL, LATAM, Lufthansa, Norwegian, Virgin, Volaris (probably Delta in the 70's & 80's, Aeromexico, Virgin, & LATAM in 80's and the remaining in the 90's.

Terminal C: Azul, JetBlue, Aer Lingus, Silver, Hawaiian, Emirates & Icelandair

I would guess that the Terminal C list will be quite a bit longer than that because otherwise the new terminal will be half empty.

And American + United don't need all of Airside 3.

Agreed. AA and UA have an almost pitiful presence at MCO. No way they'd need that many gates.

American Eagle is going to soon start a bunch of routes. Also, I didn't see anyone mention this but KLM will soon start service.

jplatts

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:59 am

tphuang wrote:
In 5 years, NK will probably be the largest carrier in MCO by enplanement. F9 will be second or third largest. Legacies will retreat to just hub routes. It'd be interesting to see how MCO accommodates this ULCC expansion.

While DAY isn't currently served nonstop from MCO on any ULCC's, AA currently has Saturday-only nonstop service to DAY from MCO and G4 currently has less-than-daily nonstop service to DAY from SFB.

BHM currently has nonstop service from MCO on AA and WN but not any ULCC's.

Most of the other destinations that are served nonstop from MCO on US3 carriers but not any ULCC's are destinations where AA, DL, or UA have hubs.

BangersAndMash

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am

tphuang wrote:
some non-legacy hub business routes
MXP-NAP https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... QAFIAZgBAg
all ULCCs
BCN-AGP https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... QAFIAZgBAg
all ULCCs

some major business routes
London-Dublin https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... FAAUgBmAEC
Look at how many flights FR has vs BA and EI.

And this is before you even get to Asia where AirAsia and JetStar dominated a lot of large markets pre-COVID.

When ULCCs become 20 to 30% of the market, they are going to capture business travelers.

You're just showing your ignorance here.

Clearly you don't know that the main business airport for Milan is LIN, not MXP.
And BCN-AGP, a business route? :lol: Sure!
As for Dublin-London, the main traffic driver is VFR. There is a massive Irish community in London due to historical connections and the fact that the Irish can come and go (and work) pretty much as they please between the 2 countries. Trust me, you won't see many business types on those FR flights from STN. Not when LHR and LCY are far more practical for business travellers.

I'm not going to talk about Asia as it's not a market I know well. But I expect you can draw similar conclusions. Size tells you very little without knowing the underlying traffic drivers. Oh, and AK and JQ and its affiliates are LCCs not ULCCs, so not in scope, since we're talking NK, not WN.

If WN is struggling with attracting business travellers (they've admitted themselves they'd love to see more on their planes), what makes you think these travellers will hit the floor and fly NK? This is just complete and utter nonsense.

tphuang wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

simply untrue. I fly around on lie flat whenever I can on 4+ hour flights. Yet when I do intra-Asia/Europe shorthaul travel, I always book the airline that saves me the most time. Very often, that turns out to be on a ULCC

Thanks for telling us you based your decision on convenience, not price. Which was precisely my point. There are plenty of other parameters non price sensitive travellers will take into account, from departure/arrival airport, schedule, product, and more. On most of these, most of the time, a legacy will do better than a ULCC.

tphuang wrote:
There is no guarantee that the US domestic market will turn out to be like international market in terms of ULCCs. But the pandemic has given a huge opportunity for ULCCs to take a bite out of legacy carriers.

True, and true.

The US market IS different from other markets in that regard. ULCC penetration is lower than in Europe. And it will most likely remain that way. European network carriers underestimated ULCCs and allowed them to grow unchecked for too long (there were other reasons, but this was a major one). This has not happened in the US, where legacies recognised and countered the threat earlier. ULCC growth in the future will have its limits as a result.

The pandemic is an opportunity for everybody. You just have to go out and take it. Other carriers aren't going to sit back and cheer while ULCCs eat their lunch. And actually, most carriers have seized the moment, irrespective of business model (apart maybe from DL, which seems to be following a more classic playbook).

tphuang wrote:
These Florida routes are generally really low yielding for legacy carriers. Yes, they are flown to keep ff happy. Now, imagine ULCC capacity double/triple to MCO, TPA and RSW in the next 5 years. What would that do to the yield for legacies?

You completely misunderstand the rationale for these weekend flights. The legacies are not competing with LCCs/ULCCs on these routes. And how could they with the low frequency. Legacies are serving a captive audience. For these travellers, the fact that NK flies every day of the week, however many times, simply does not matter.

And what would more NK flying do to the yield for legacies? Probably not a lot. And anyway, it's not about yields. It's about network strength in origin cities. As long as it makes strategic sense in these places, and the flights are not heavily loss-making, they will continue. And given the way they are targeted, I would be ready to guess they're probably making more money than you think.

crownvic

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:07 am

I've been a resident and frequent traveler in and out of Orlando for 40 years..I am also an avid aviation enthusiast who has plane spotted at this airport weekly. When I look back at the airline service history here and know what it was like in the 80's 90's right up to covid with 6 Virgin 7477's parked airside simultaneously in early 2020, its embarrassing to see Frontier and Spirit spread like a disease here....sad...oh well, on the plus side more opportunities to put Orlando on the map with youtube video confrontations!

tphuang

Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:52 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Clearly you don't know that the main business airport for Milan is LIN, not MXP.

I've flown into both airports. If you factor in LIN, there is still twice the amount of flight on ULCC as Alitalia.

Most business markets in Spain are well served by HSR. It's hard to find another market that's not well served by HSR and have some business demand in Spain.

As for Dublin-London, the main traffic driver is VFR. There is a massive Irish community in London due to historical connections and the fact that the Irish can come and go (and work) pretty much as they please between the 2 countries. Trust me, you won't see many business types on those FR flights from STN. Not when LHR and LCY are far more practical for business travellers.

lol, like there is no business travelers around STN. You don't need 8 flights a day during COVID time just for VFR traffic.

If you need more examples for business markets in the UK
London-GLA
https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... FAAUgBmAEC
London-BFS
plenty of U2 presence in these markets

And of course, London-Paris
https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... UABSAGYAQI

London-BCN
Plenty of ULCC presence also.

I'm not going to talk about Asia as it's not a market I know well. But I expect you can draw similar conclusions. Size tells you very little without knowing the underlying traffic drivers. Oh, and AK and JQ and its affiliates are LCCs not ULCCs, so not in scope, since we're talking NK, not WN.

AK and JQ are definitely ULCCs. You would know this if you have ever flown on one.

If WN is struggling with attracting business travellers (they've admitted themselves they'd love to see more on their planes), what makes you think these travellers will hit the floor and fly NK? This is just complete and utter nonsense.

WN carries a lot of business travelers. Go check out the people that line up on those intra-California flights and tell me what kind of travelers they look like. WN has always captured a lot of the short haul business travelers. The same type NK will attract if they can offer better schedules out of MCO.

Thanks for telling us you based your decision on convenience, not price. Which was precisely my point. There are plenty of other parameters non price sensitive travellers will take into account, from departure/arrival airport, schedule, product, and more. On most of these, most of the time, a legacy will do better than a ULCC.

The issue is NK has not achieved network or frequency level out of MCO. That will happen once they double or triple their size at MCO. And then, they will be the most convenient airline for a lot of people.

You are simply ignoring this point.

That does not mean all of those travelers will fly on NK. But some of those will.

The US market IS different from other markets in that regard. ULCC penetration is lower than in Europe. And it will most likely remain that way. European network carriers underestimated ULCCs and allowed them to grow unchecked for too long (there were other reasons, but this was a major one). This has not happened in the US, where legacies recognised and countered the threat earlier. ULCC growth in the future will have its limits as a result.

The pandemic is an opportunity for everybody. You just have to go out and take it. Other carriers aren't going to sit back and cheer while ULCCs eat their lunch. And actually, most carriers have seized the moment, irrespective of business model (apart maybe from DL, which seems to be following a more classic playbook).

The legacies are all weakened significantly and will be smaller than 2019 for a couple of years. NK is already at pre-COVID size and will probably double in size in 5 years.

There are certain markets that are protected like NYC and LAX due to slot/gate constraints. That does not apply to MCO or LAS.

You completely misunderstand the rationale for these weekend flights. The legacies are not competing with LCCs/ULCCs on these routes. And how could they with the low frequency. Legacies are serving a captive audience. For these travellers, the fact that NK flies every day of the week, however many times, simply does not matter.

And what would more NK flying do to the yield for legacies? Probably not a lot. And anyway, it's not about yields. It's about network strength in origin cities. As long as it makes strategic sense in these places, and the flights are not heavily loss-making, they will continue. And given the way they are targeted, I would be ready to guess they're probably making more money than you think.

The Saturday only flight are utilization plays.

These flights are very low yielding. Florida in general are very low yielding markets for legacy carriers. They help legacies fill seats on other part of their network. But over time, those one-stop itineraries are going to become more and more lower and lower yielding.

BangersAndMash

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:10 pm

tphuang wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I've flown into both airports. If you factor in LIN, there is still twice the amount of flight on ULCC as Alitalia.

Most business markets in Spain are well served by HSR. It's hard to find another market that's not well served by HSR and have some business demand in Spain.

lol, like there is no business travelers around STN. You don't need 8 flights a day during COVID time just for VFR traffic.

If you need more examples for business markets in the UK
London-GLA
London-BFS
plenty of U2 presence in these markets

And of course, London-Paris
https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... UABSAGYAQI

London-BCN
Plenty of ULCC presence also.

AK and JQ are definitely ULCCs. You would know this if you have ever flown on one.

WN carries a lot of business travelers. Go check out the people that line up on those intra-California flights and tell me what kind of travelers they look like. WN has always captured a lot of the short haul business travelers. The same type NK will attract if they can offer better schedules out of MCO.

The issue is NK has not achieved network or frequency level out of MCO. That will happen once they double or triple their size at MCO. And then, they will be the most convenient airline for a lot of people.

You are simply ignoring this point.

That does not mean all of those travelers will fly on NK. But some of those will.

The legacies are all weakened significantly and will be smaller than 2019 for a couple of years. NK is already at pre-COVID size and will probably double in size in 5 years.

There are certain markets that are protected like NYC and LAX due to slot/gate constraints. That does not apply to MCO or LAS.

The Saturday only flight are utilization plays.

These flights are very low yielding. Florida in general are very low yielding markets for legacy carriers. They help legacies fill seats on other part of their network. But over time, those one-stop itineraries are going to become more and more lower and lower yielding.

Repeating the same uninformed nonsense over and over isn't going to make it true.

I guess we'll find out in 5 years time.

krod031

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Airport just tweeted that Emirates is sending the a380 to MCO on Wednesday the 21st with an 1815 arrival. They will be carrying Arsenal for the Florida Cup. (Boo Arsenal!)

F27500

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 pm

A lot of speculation that the new Avelo east coast base being set up in New Haven, CT will be featuring a HVN-Orlando route. New Haven is (from what I hear) one of the largest cities/markets in the US without direct service to Orlando. So I'm curious if anyone here has heard whether or not Avelo might be in talks there .. and if so, are they looking at MCO or SFB? I'm thinking it would likely be SFB since Avelo is a ULCC, but i'd love to hear if anyone's heard anything at all.

crownvic

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:39 am

krod031 wrote:
Airport just tweeted that Emirates is sending the a380 to MCO on Wednesday the 21st with an 1815 arrival. They will be carrying Arsenal for the Florida Cup. (Boo Arsenal!)

Will the regular 777 flight operate that day too or will this sub for it?

Dazed767

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:39 am

Separate charter flight. I *think* it's coming from STN and it's A6-EVN, don't have a flight number.

dabpit

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:48 pm

F27500 wrote:
A lot of speculation that the new Avelo east coast base being set up in New Haven, CT will be featuring a HVN-Orlando route. New Haven is (from what I hear) one of the largest cities/markets in the US without direct service to Orlando. So I'm curious if anyone here has heard whether or not Avelo might be in talks there .. and if so, are they looking at MCO or SFB? I'm thinking it would likely be SFB since Avelo is a ULCC, but i'd love to hear if anyone's heard anything at all.

Hoping it is MCO over SFB. MCO makes more sense from a secondary market such as HVN.

dabpit

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:10 pm

There is going to be a large airline expansion at MCO announced. 17 news routes. Can’t say the airline but I’m sure most of you can take a guess.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 pm

dabpit wrote:
There is going to be a large airline expansion at MCO announced. 17 news routes. Can’t say the airline but I’m sure most of you can take a guess.

It’s all mostly bookable already on Frontier’s website.

tphuang

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:30 pm

This NK vs F9 international growth in MCO will be interesting to see.

crownvic

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:32 pm

tphuang wrote:
This NK vs F9 international growth in MCO will be interesting to see.

I wonder if bringing in International passengers will degrade the fine reputation these two carriers have worked so hard to build on..A reputation built on transporting the best of the best domestically for all the youtubers out there to enjoy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos