Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Allegiant News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 26, 2021 6:13 pm

jgcotter wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
nkops wrote:

228NV (Visit Florida livery) may be next.. aircraft has no engines on it currently
227NV still has everything attached so may just be in storage for the time being

I remember when N228NV had some tech problems at SBN and mechanics had to come up from Indy to fix it. It was also the jet that had some hydraulic issues in Florida. Every airline has a pesky jet that seems to be labeled a "Hangar Queen". I remember at ASA it was the Texas Bluebonnet Jet. Some around Allegiant claim this airplane is. N226NV, N227NV, N228NV and N229NV are the oldest aircraft in G4's fleet at over 23 yrs old. so maybe these will end up being scrapped.

The Aircraft Fleet Plan in the Earnings Call shows them drawing down 7 x 177-seat A320s this year, (26 to 19) so retiring those four, and three others, makes sense.

The transcript is available: https://seekingalpha.com/article/442448 ... transcript

We expect to induct 5 aircraft during the quarter to bring our total in-service fleet count to 105 by June's end, an increase of 19 aircraft compared to June of 2019. These additional aircraft are already being put to work, as capacity during the second quarter is expected to be up around 4% year-over-2 year. It is also notable second quarter daily bookings haven't skipped a beat. April continued to roar with average daily bookings around 6.5 million per day, which is 8% higher than April of 2019.
During the first quarter, we acquired 3 aircraft at an average all-in price of $16.5 million per tail. These aircraft were paid for with cash; and remain unencumbered, which brings our current unencumbered aircraft count to 29. In the used A320 market, our fleet team is in no short supply of deals coming across their desks at prices that reflect a 30% discount on average to pre-pandemic levels. Based on current commitments, we expect to end the year with 108 aircraft, which supports our ability to increase capacity in the back half of '21 by as much as 20% as Drew and his team see no shortage in opportunities to put aircraft to work.

If you go into the details of the conference call, it looks like fleet retirement will be used as a governor on demand. If demand drops, they retire more aircraft, if demand remains strong, they delay retirement (I assume put through a heavy maintenance) and keep flying. Now that is just my opinion on the call, but it seems as if Allegiant is well placed for any economy.

That purchase price for younger A320s is brutally cheap. They have no shortage of growth opportunities on the aircraft side for a few years. It is now managing risk (how many aircraft to buy and how much staff to hire).

Lightsaber

alohashirts

Fri May 28, 2021 7:18 am

Updates on routes from PVU. G4 is ending PVU-LAX and PVU-TUS both in August. PVU-DEN is ending in October. This will leave PVU-AZA/PHX/PIE/SNA as the only destinations from PVU on G4. PVU-AZA will be 2-3 times a day depending on the day of the week and SNA, PIE, and PHX will all be twice weekly. The SNA flight is very popular, and with the LAX flight ending I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go 3x weekly in the future.

WaywardMemphian

Fri May 28, 2021 12:00 pm

alohashirts wrote:
I think it’ll be interesting to see what G4 has I store for LAX. I can’t think of too many other markets they could enter from other than ABQ, SGU, and maybe some Midwest locations.

Look at their LAX-MEM frequencies for the summer and again in Dec the former is 6 days a week (no tue) and the latter is daily for the weeks leading up to Christmas and into January. That is a long route for them and more like normal airline service than a travel agency with planes.

jjbiv

Sat May 29, 2021 6:19 am

flyPIT wrote:
What is it about Allegiant's website that makes it blocked in multiple countries for several years now using different web browsers?

Some of us overseas might like to book a ticket for when we return.

Use a US-based VPN connection to work around this. Southwest does something similar. It's likely done to try to limit fraudulent credit card bookings. I imagine foreign point of sale is a tiny part of Allegiant's potential customer base, especially outside of Canada and Mexico.

flyPIT

Sat May 29, 2021 11:48 am

jjbiv wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
What is it about Allegiant's website that makes it blocked in multiple countries for several years now using different web browsers?

Some of us overseas might like to book a ticket for when we return.

Use a US-based VPN connection to work around this. Southwest does something similar. It's likely done to try to limit fraudulent credit card bookings. I imagine foreign point of sale is a tiny part of Allegiant's potential customer base, especially outside of Canada and Mexico.

Yep I think you are right. But even with a VPN, phone calls using data such as with WhatsApp and FB messenger are suddenly interrupted in China, when verbally shaming China during a conversation. I’m not sure if it’s different surfing the web while there.

jgcotter

Sat May 29, 2021 9:29 pm

A320 N291NV just ferried from MLB to PIE to enter revenue service. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N291NV

jgcotter

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Allegiant took possession of A320 N202NV, the former Peach JA807P, on 5/2 at XSP.

CIDFlyer

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Any rumors of some new routes coming? XWA Williston ND is having a press conference Tuesday apparently to announce something new. Allegiant likes to announce new routes on Tuesdays so kind of curious

Wneast

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Any rumors of some new routes coming? XWA Williston ND is having a press conference Tuesday apparently to announce something new. Allegiant likes to announce new routes on Tuesdays so kind of curious

I would assume they got have one coming up they haven’t had one in awhile... I hope GEG gets something

alohashirts

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:35 am

CIDFlyer wrote:

I’m hearing PVU-OAK will be announced soon.

flyoregon

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 am

alohashirts wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

PVU-PDX too ?? :crossfingers:

alohashirts

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 pm

flyoregon wrote:
alohashirts wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

PVU-PDX too ?? :crossfingers:

Maybe once the new terminal at PVU is complete I could maybe see G4 try PDX-PVU. I also think SFB/AUS-PVU would be successful routes.

IAmGaroott

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 pm

lightsaber wrote:
jgcotter wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

I remember when N228NV had some tech problems at SBN and mechanics had to come up from Indy to fix it. It was also the jet that had some hydraulic issues in Florida. Every airline has a pesky jet that seems to be labeled a "Hangar Queen". I remember at ASA it was the Texas Bluebonnet Jet. Some around Allegiant claim this airplane is. N226NV, N227NV, N228NV and N229NV are the oldest aircraft in G4's fleet at over 23 yrs old. so maybe these will end up being scrapped.

The Aircraft Fleet Plan in the Earnings Call shows them drawing down 7 x 177-seat A320s this year, (26 to 19) so retiring those four, and three others, makes sense.

The transcript is available: https://seekingalpha.com/article/442448 ... transcript

We expect to induct 5 aircraft during the quarter to bring our total in-service fleet count to 105 by June's end, an increase of 19 aircraft compared to June of 2019. These additional aircraft are already being put to work, as capacity during the second quarter is expected to be up around 4% year-over-2 year. It is also notable second quarter daily bookings haven't skipped a beat. April continued to roar with average daily bookings around 6.5 million per day, which is 8% higher than April of 2019.
During the first quarter, we acquired 3 aircraft at an average all-in price of $16.5 million per tail. These aircraft were paid for with cash; and remain unencumbered, which brings our current unencumbered aircraft count to 29. In the used A320 market, our fleet team is in no short supply of deals coming across their desks at prices that reflect a 30% discount on average to pre-pandemic levels. Based on current commitments, we expect to end the year with 108 aircraft, which supports our ability to increase capacity in the back half of '21 by as much as 20% as Drew and his team see no shortage in opportunities to put aircraft to work.

If you go into the details of the conference call, it looks like fleet retirement will be used as a governor on demand. If demand drops, they retire more aircraft, if demand remains strong, they delay retirement (I assume put through a heavy maintenance) and keep flying. Now that is just my opinion on the call, but it seems as if Allegiant is well placed for any economy.

That purchase price for younger A320s is brutally cheap. They have no shortage of growth opportunities on the aircraft side for a few years. It is now managing risk (how many aircraft to buy and how much staff to hire).

Lightsaber

I worked ground ops for G4 at PIE a few years ago. N228NV always seemed to have something wrong with it. I can remember one instance it went out with only one operational lav. It felt like a "tired" aircraft compared to others in the fleet, too.
I'll always have a special appreciation for that plane because it was the first aircraft I ever pushed. I wonder if I could purchase a small piece of the outer fuselage from Avocet whenever judgement day comes.

dfwjim1

Re: Allegiant Air Route Expansion 2/9

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:29 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
I’m in shock, LAx ~> SHV starts 7/2 !

Who knows...it might work. I was shock when G4 started LAS to SHV a number of years ago.

freakyrat

Re: Allegiant Air Route Expansion 2/9

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:59 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
I’m in shock, LAx ~> SHV starts 7/2 !

Who knows...it might work. I was shock when G4 started LAS to SHV a number of years ago.

Way before G4's time SBN (A G4 Market) had an afternoon Piedmont B737-400 flight from SBN to LAX with a stop in DAY (Piedmont's DAY hub) surprisingly they boarded a large amount of LAX O & D passengers out of SBN on that flight so anything is possible from any medium sized city.

jplatts

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 am

While AA currently operates MIA-DSM/OKC nonstop service and while AA has seasonal MIA-OMA nonstop service, DSM, OKC, and OMA currently lack nonstop service to FLL and nonstop LCC/ULCC nonstop service to the MIA/FLL market.

DSM, OKC, and OMA are also three of the top contiguous U.S. destinations traveled to from MIA/FLL (by O&D PDEW's) that currently lack nonstop service to FLL.

G4 has opportunities to add FLL-DSM/OKC/OMA nonstop service, whereas other airlines such as WN and B6 have recently entered MIA.

airlineworker

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:41 am

I wonder way G4 waited so long to commit to HVN after several years of being in contact with HVN regarding new service. They even made the statement they could operate off the present runway, but never signed on the dotted line. Avelo moved in and will fly 737-700's, similar to G4's A319's. Both planes have similar performance numbers and Avelo should do well.

flyoregon

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:08 am

When will G4 likely make another new route announcement?

airzona11

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:10 am

lightsaber wrote:
jgcotter wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Lightsaber

Great details and quite frankly, a well run operation. Crazy to think allegiant has that man planes.

Love seeing this alt-market / alt-airport models grow.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:48 pm

airzona11 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

Lightsaber

Great details and quite frankly, a well run operation. Crazy to think allegiant has that man planes.

A very well run opperation. As this appears to be a liesure market, Allegiant is well placed. "as Drew and his team see no shortage in opportunities to put aircraft to work." is quite the statement.

I posted before how they are cash flow positive. With such cheap aircraft, they cannot lose.

Lightsaber

jgcotter

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Former Alaska A320 N625VA is en route from AMA (new livery) to MLB as flight G49500 for induction into Allegiant.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N625VA

B747forever

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:19 am

What happened to G4 338 (CID-LAX) on 6/19 operated by N271NV?

Flight was on final approach when it was aborted and circled around for about 45-50min before diverting to ONT. Still on the ground at ONT.

FlyingElvii

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm

alohashirts wrote:
I think G4 could turn SGU into a “destination “. Something like SGU-OAK/PDX/BOI/SAN/GEG might work for starters. St. George is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation and it’s the fast growing area in Utah. There’s tons of golfing, there are resorts and time shares, and Zion is nearby and Bryce isn’t too far.

SGU has always been the pass rider’s back door into and out of Vegas. Not a long drive, and the scenery is magnificent. Had lunch at the old Mesa top airport in March, been a long time since I had been there.

jjbiv

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:09 pm

B747forever wrote:

Flight was on final approach when it was aborted and circled around for about 45-50min before diverting to ONT. Still on the ground at ONT.

Flap/slat issue.

B747forever

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:40 pm

jjbiv wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Flap/slat issue.

But why land at ONT from where they do not even operate out of?

jgcotter

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Allegiant has taken possession of former Alaska A320 N624VA at MLB.

jgcotter

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:48 pm

jgcotter wrote:
Allegiant took possession of A320 N202NV, the former Peach JA807P, on 5/2 at XSP.

A320 N202NV ferried XSP-GUM-MAJ-HNL-TUS on 19/20 June.

jgcotter

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm

jgcotter wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

A320 N202NV ferried XSP-GUM-MAJ-HNL-TUS on 19/20 June.

A320 N202NV ferried from TUS to AMA this morning for new livery.

william

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:19 pm

lightsaber wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

A very well run opperation. As this appears to be a liesure market, Allegiant is well placed. "as Drew and his team see no shortage in opportunities to put aircraft to work." is quite the statement.

I posted before how they are cash flow positive. With such cheap aircraft, they cannot lose.

Lightsaber

I guess the low cycle flying makes the used aircraft buying work. While some majors buy used, not to the extent Allegiant does as a percentage of the fleet. Then again, the discounts majors get on new aircraft make it worth while.

lightsaber

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 pm

william wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Lightsaber

I guess the low cycle flying makes the used aircraft buying work. While some majors buy used, not to the extent Allegiant does as a percentage of the fleet. Then again, the discounts majors get on new aircraft make it worth while.

Majors tend to use old existing aircraft for low utilization duty. Delta bought used MD-90s and leased 717s, but that was more an opportunity than anything else (they are possibly buying used LionAir 739s, again an opportunity).

Allegiant bought a small number of new A320s. Today used is such a good deal, they should only look at used. In a dozen years, Allegiant will look at used NEOs, in my opinion.

Lightsaber

MavyWavyATR

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm

I know this is probably a long shot, but would G4 have any use potentially for A321's or even some A318's (if there's any available at this point)? The A321 could let them add more capacity on their busiest and/or profitable routes while the A318 could let them potentially tap into markets that are too small (in terms of traffic) for the A319.

nws2002

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:09 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
I know this is probably a long shot, but would G4 have any use potentially for A321's or even some A318's (if there's any available at this point)? The A321 could let them add more capacity on their busiest and/or profitable routes while the A318 could let them potentially tap into markets that are too small (in terms of traffic) for the A319.

Not sure an A318 would be worth it. They would probably rather reduce the schedule or reduce the fare to fill the seats in an A319 or A320. The trip cost isn't that much different.

william

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Isn't Allegiant retiring the A3219s they have now? Do not think they want to go smaller than A320.

jgcotter

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:07 pm

A320 RP-C3263 ferried from CGK-MNL-GUM-HNL-ONT-MLB June 23/24 for induction.

lightsaber

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:40 pm

nws2002 wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

Not sure an A318 would be worth it. They would probably rather reduce the schedule or reduce the fare to fill the seats in an A319 or A320. The trip cost isn't that much different.

G4 is starting to rotate out A319s for high density A320s. I would bet within ten years the A319s are gone from G4s fleet.

The business model relies on Ancillary sales which means the more people the better. As already noted, control costs with frequency; best to fly as many people as possible with their revenue model.

Right now, A321s seem pricey. I see them going for all 186 seat A320s. The 156 seat A319s and 177 seat A320s will be rotated out over the coming years. With the ability to ramp from 2x/week to multiple per day, G4 is not yet at the point that the A321 makes sense and thanks to optimization of sales, the A319 no longer makes sense either.

Lightsaber

SCHATC422

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:56 pm

I keep waiting to see when G4 will enter the Hartford, CT metro area. One of their biggest metro area holes right now. I'd love to see them at BDL, as they go to PVD, ALB and BOS, as well as SWF around BDL, but not BDL itself. I always wonder if they could make it at CEF, just north of BDL, like SkyBus tried years ago. They'd have the place to themselves, but I'd prefer to see them at BDL. Plenty of competition they could try from BDL, including BNA, FLL, PIT (soon on Breeze), LAX and LAS. I know the 2 latter are a longggg shot, but I could see G4 doing well on BDL-PIE, SFB, PGD and SAV.

maps4ltd

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Well it looks like the CKB-MDW experiment was dropped fairly quickly.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:43 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Well it looks like the CKB-MDW experiment was dropped fairly quickly.

That was one of the stranger routes that G4 has attempted.

PITFlyer330

Allegiant air adding Minneapolis, Melbourne (Florida), new Austin routes

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:40 am

Its that time again! New allegiant flights.

MSP to Asheville, LAX, punta gorda, west Palm beach https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 03687?s=20

Melbourne to PIT (thank you Allegiant!, Concord, and nashville https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 81571?s=20

New austin routes to https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 35232?s=20

DeltaRules

Re: Allegiant air adding Minneapolis, Melbourne (Florida), new Austin routes

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:42 am

PITFlyer330 wrote:

MSP to Asheville, LAX, punta gorda, west Palm beach https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 03687?s=20

Melbourne to PIT (thank you Allegiant!, Concord, and nashville https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 81571?s=20

Wasn't there talk of PIT-DAB at one point? I guess if they're willing to open MLB with SFB nearby, maybe DAB isn't out of the question after all.

PITFlyer330

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 am

DeltaRules wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Wasn't there talk of PIT-DAB at one point? I guess if they're willing to open MLB with SFB nearby, maybe DAB isn't out of the question after all.

PIT DAB i have not heard of, but again, any new destination is superb

KMCOFlyer

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:40 am

I always guessed they’d go into LAL before entering any other secondary FL market. It seems like a big hole as SFB and PIE from Lakeland requires driving across Orlando or Tampa which can both be a pain especially during rush hour. I wonder what pilot base will cover MLB, will it be tied into SFB?

PITFlyer330

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:48 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
I always guessed they’d go into LAL before entering any other secondary FL market. It seems like a big hole as SFB and PIE from Lakeland requires driving across Orlando or Tampa which can both be a pain especially during rush hour. I wonder what pilot base will cover MLB, will it be tied into SFB?

doesnt Allegiant have bases in concord, Nashville and Pittsburgh?

Wneast

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 am

BNA-PSP and SNA-EUG.. BNA-PSP is neat MDW-LAS and BWI oop WN
Last edited by Wneast on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PITFlyer330

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:59 am

also adding Washington dulles and amarillo https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 82272?s=20

SNA EUG, BNA PSP, XNA HOU

airlinepeanuts

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:59 am

MSP-LAX is a route AA flew not that long ago, within the last 5 years.

maps4ltd

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:31 am

They're coming to AMA? Nice!

Mexicana757

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:38 am

Wneast wrote:
BNA-PSP and SNA-EUG.. BNA-PSP is neat MDW-LAS and BWI oop WN

The MDW-LAS are one-off flights that Allegiant is offering to Bears fans in October. The flights will only operate on 10/8 and 10/11.
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/alleg ... vegas-game

FlyPNS1

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:40 am

Looks like IAD-JAX and IAD-SRQ.

Interesting to see if G4 can make IAD work. Historically no LCC has been able to make it work well….f9 fizzled, B6 left and WN has only a token presence.

I think they made good choices as these are two routes to Florida that UA has neglected from IAD.

Delta28L

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 am

FlyPNS1 wrote:
Looks like IAD-JAX and IAD-SRQ.

Interesting to see if G4 can make IAD work. Historically no LCC has been able to make it work well….f9 fizzled, B6 left and WN has only a token presence.

I think they made good choices as these are two routes to Florida that UA has neglected from IAD.

F9, B6, WN all moved to DCA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos