Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCHATC422

Re: Allegiant air adding Minneapolis, Melbourne (Florida), new Austin routes

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:16 am

Delta28L wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:
Looks like IAD-JAX and IAD-SRQ.

Interesting to see if G4 can make IAD work. Historically no LCC has been able to make it work well….f9 fizzled, B6 left and WN has only a token presence.

I think they made good choices as these are two routes to Florida that UA has neglected from IAD.

F9, B6, WN all moved to DCA

Incorrect. WN still flies into IAD with ATL, MDW, MCO and one other route I believe. F9 does MCO and AUS from IAD also.

sunking737

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:19 am

AAY to MSP?? Wow a blow to STC . AAY has been flying STC-IWA and STC-FLA for years now.

JaxMan19

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 am

FlyPNS1 wrote:
Looks like IAD-JAX and IAD-SRQ.

Interesting to see if G4 can make IAD work. Historically no LCC has been able to make it work well….f9 fizzled, B6 left and WN has only a token presence.

I think they made good choices as these are two routes to Florida that UA has neglected from IAD.

Today (6/28) JAX-IAD is 2x 737 on UA. It has historically been a 3-4× CR7 route for the longest time. Besides IAD-MCO/TPA (both route today are 2x mainline just like JAX),IAD-JAX has been one of the more consistent IAD Florida routes in the last several decades. We all know how UA has struggled to Florida over the years, but IAD-JAX hasn't been neglected necessarily.

On the other hand, there has only been only 1 airline on IAD-JAX at a time besides when Independence Air operated it alongside UA. Will be nice to have options!

BAINY3

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:56 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
MSP-LAX is a route AA flew not that long ago, within the last 5 years.

UA, too. At one point the whole US3 was on it but AA and UA both gave up pre-pandemic.

AVLAirlineFreq

Re: Allegiant News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:00 am

G4 announced a bunch of new routes and markets today, including MSP, IAD, MLB, and AMA. It's being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1462223.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:18 am

AUS-FSD? Wow. Houston doesnt even have a route there.

flyoregon

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:20 am

PVU has been getting some nice adds lately! Fingers still crossed for a PDX to PVU route…it would make my like easier, because I know Allegiant cares about how I feel. :roll:

evank516

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:44 am

I actually think they just hit DAB where it hurts. Granted I think DAB and SFB are closer than MLB and SFB.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:36 am

I'm skeptical of G4 at MSP.
I don't see what they can do that SY does not already and SY will have a great MSP point-of-sale advantage.
They probably should have just focused on their little niche at STC and maybe increased their marketing budget in the Northern and Northwestern Suburbs.

TexasAirCorp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:52 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I don't see what they can do that SY does not already and SY will have a great MSP point-of-sale advantage.
They probably should have just focused on their little niche at STC and maybe increased their marketing budget in the Northern and Northwestern Suburbs.

I bet G4 at MSP is more about trying to spite SY. SY’s CEO Jude Bricker is G4’s former COO and apparently his departure was very dramatic and pissed G4’s executives off.

SY has also been launching service at a number of G4’s key bases like PIE, AZA and PGD, I’m willing to bet G4’s MSP entry is just to kind of ‘one up’ SY.

SteveXC500

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:04 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I bet G4 at MSP is more about trying to spite SY. SY’s CEO Jude Bricker is G4’s former COO and apparently his departure was very dramatic and pissed G4’s executives off.

SY has also been launching service at a number of G4’s key bases like PIE, AZA and PGD, I’m willing to bet G4’s MSP entry is just to kind of ‘one up’ SY.

I wonder the same and agree with the above. It's odd to see them here at MSP. The LAX flights are only showing up on 11/12 and 11/15, so that's strange. But, they may struggle to go up against SY as previously mentioned. I don't think they will impact DL and DL may not even flinch here...perhaps a CR9 to AVL.

joeblow10

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:08 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Yeah - G4’s entry into MSP has nothing to do with actually “serving” the market and everything to do with sending a message to SY that they will defend their turf.

I would guess that had SY not added MSP-PIE/AZA/etc G4 wouldn’t be adding MSP right now

OzarkD9S

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:12 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

They could have opened RST and "surrounded" MSP instead.

EFA2014

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:13 pm

MLB makes perfect sense for them.G4 does maintenance at MLB along with acceptance of new aircraft/retrofit/etc

cbphoto

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

You do realize G4 has a huge following in PGD and AVL? I bet G4 would do ok on those routes. This has everything to do SY flying into G4’s markets from MSP. I believe there are enough snowbirds between the two states to fill both SY and G4 flights to PGD and PBI.

william

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:29 pm

When did Austin become a base?

TexasAirCorp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:38 pm

william wrote:
When did Austin become a base?

It’s becoming a base in November with three A320s

TexasAirCorp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:39 pm

EFA2014 wrote:
MLB makes perfect sense for them.G4 does maintenance at MLB along with acceptance of new aircraft/retrofit/etc

Could MLB also be about trying to target people travelling to go on cruises, like how TUI has moved from SFB to MLB?

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:53 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
EFA2014 wrote:

Could MLB also be about trying to target people travelling to go on cruises, like how TUI has moved from SFB to MLB?

Maybe, but flights will need to be timed for cruise traffic.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:51 pm

cbphoto wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

You do realize G4 has a huge following in PGD and AVL? I bet G4 would do ok on those routes. This has everything to do SY flying into G4’s markets from MSP. I believe there are enough snowbirds between the two states to fill both SY and G4 flights to PGD and PBI.

How much traffic actually originates at AVL and PGD? They are primarily inbound markets - most of the point-of-sale is on the opposite end. SY has a huge advantage here.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:02 pm

FSD-AUS is definitely a niche market......must be sufficient bachelor / bachelorette party travel in that market to make it work???
I mean AUS is cool and all but enough demand from FSD????

joeblow10

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:28 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
FSD-AUS is definitely a niche market......must be sufficient bachelor / bachelorette party travel in that market to make it work???

I wouldn’t be shocked to see FSD become a G4 base in the near future - maybe 2-3 years out. They’ve added a ton of markets, BNA before this and now AUS. It’s one of the few markets that gets flights on Tue too.

Not sure how they do it but the odd-er routes out of there seem to be good adds for them

themon

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Are the SY and G4 ticket counters going to be near each other or will they be near DL?

nkops

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Yeah - G4’s entry into MSP has nothing to do with actually “serving” the market and everything to do with sending a message to SY that they will defend their turf.

I would guess that had SY not added MSP-PIE/AZA/etc G4 wouldn’t be adding MSP right now

IIRC, G4 did this when F9 started PGD a couple years ago.. G4 started TTN. Oddly, both PGD for F9 and TTN for G4 ended about the same time

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:04 pm

themon wrote:
Are the SY and G4 ticket counters going to be near each other or will they be near DL?

G4 will use MSP T2. I'm curious to see how MSP will fit another carrier there and accommodate SY's scheduled expansion. I wouldn't be shocked if B6 was moved to T1.

Flaps

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
Its that time again! New allegiant flights.

MSP to Asheville, LAX, punta gorda, west Palm beach https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 03687?s=20

Melbourne to PIT (thank you Allegiant!, Concord, and nashville https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 81571?s=20

New austin routes to https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 35232?s=20

Wasn't there talk of PIT-DAB at one point? I guess if they're willing to open MLB with SFB nearby, maybe DAB isn't out of the question after all.

There was talk of PIT-DAB for some time but things have been silent on that front for about the past 2 years. SFB serves the DAB market form PIT pretty well. Much of the PIT-DAB traffic is highly seasonal from February -April so we could possibly see a seasonal service at some point down the road.

747buff

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:39 pm

The LAX service is a one-off roundtrip for fans going to the Vikings-Chargers game.

Jerseyguy

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
EFA2014 wrote:

Maybe, but flights will need to be timed for cruise traffic.

I wonder if it's also a premeptive move against Breeze. Also me personally I wouldn't take G4 to meet up with a cruise, on the way back maybe.

cbphoto

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:49 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

How much traffic actually originates at AVL and PGD? They are primarily inbound markets - most of the point-of-sale is on the opposite end. SY has a huge advantage here.

Do I really need to explain how traffic originates every year out of PGD? It’s called snowbirds, and every March and April flights are absolutely packed out of PGD heading north. Trust me, there is plenty of originating traffic during the spring months to take people north. If they can make STC work, MSP will be just fine. Just like SY has their base in MSP, G4 has its base in PGD. As I said before, there is enough room in the market to let SY and G4 battle it out and I’m the end, the customers will win with dirt cheap fares to the Ft Meyers area.

AVL might be a tougher market, but flights from AVl-MDW are better then average and I think that route will mature nicely for G4 as well.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:58 pm

cbphoto wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
cbphoto wrote:

Do I really need to explain how traffic originates every year out of PGD? It’s called snowbirds, and every March and April flights are absolutely packed out of PGD heading north. Trust me, there is plenty of originating traffic during the spring months to take people north. If they can make STC work, MSP will be just fine. Just like SY has their base in MSP, G4 has its base in PGD. As I said before, there is enough room in the market to let SY and G4 battle it out and I’m the end, the customers will win with dirt cheap fares to the Ft Meyers area.

AVL might be a tougher market, but flights from AVl-MDW are better then average and I think that route will mature nicely for G4 as well.

The snowbirds flying MSP-PGD would be MSP point-of-sale and very familiar with SY. How do you think they got to Florida?

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:08 am

XNA-HOU is interesting; competes, in a way with, UA on XNA-IAH but I presume this will be geared more toward cruise traffic in Galveston.

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:19 am

AUS is out of control!! The amount of service does NOT match the population IMHO. Do not wish anyone trouble, but I don’t think this service level is sustainable…. But we shall see. Best of luck to all in AUS

jplatts

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:38 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
AUS is out of control!! The amount of service does NOT match the population IMHO. Do not wish anyone trouble, but I don’t think this service level is sustainable…. But we shall see. Best of luck to all in AUS

There are a few markets not currently served nonstop from AUS such as CLE, BDL, and MKE that could probably sustainably support nonstop service to AUS on WN.

RIC might be able to sustainably support nonstop service to AUS on G4 with RIC being one of the top remaining destinations without nonstop service to AUS and with competitors such as AA, B6, NK, or WN unlikely to add RIC-AUS nonstop service.

There are a few other markets such as CHS, ORF, PGD, and TUS that might possibly be able to support nonstop service out of AUS on G4 with AUS currently having no nonstop service to CHS, ORF, PGD, RSW, and TUS along with AUS-CHS/ORF/RSW/TUS having higher PDEW's than a few of the nonstop routes that were recently added by G4 out of AUS.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:24 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
XNA-HOU is interesting; competes, in a way with, UA on XNA-IAH but I presume this will be geared more toward cruise traffic in Galveston.

Definitely has some to do with but all of a sudden XNA has service to many cruise ports. TPA/PIE, FLL, MSY and now HOU. Couple that with SFB that feasibly serves Port Canaveral.

There's a massive sized percentage of U of A students that hail from Texas. In theory Freahmen can't have enough cars in Campus and must live on campus, in theory, lol.

malev2012

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 pm

jplatts wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

There are a few markets not currently served nonstop from AUS such as CLE, BDL, and MKE that could probably sustainably support nonstop service to AUS on WN.

RIC might be able to sustainably support nonstop service to AUS on G4 with RIC being one of the top remaining destinations without nonstop service to AUS and with competitors such as AA, B6, NK, or WN unlikely to add RIC-AUS nonstop service.

There are a few other markets such as CHS, ORF, PGD, and TUS that might possibly be able to support nonstop service out of AUS on G4 with AUS currently having no nonstop service to CHS, ORF, PGD, RSW, and TUS along with AUS-CHS/ORF/RSW/TUS having higher PDEW's than a few of the nonstop routes that were recently added by G4 out of AUS.

I think people underestimate how much disposable income is in Austin. Will all these routes stick? Of course not. However I wouldn't be surprised to see these routes generate demand where there previously was none. These routes will of course have some traffic originating in Austin, I think most of the traffic will be from the SGF, FSD, SDF, TUL side of the equation. Also as more unique nonstops are added that SAT does not have, more SAT area passengers will choose the nonstops from AUS.

joeljack

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:09 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Austin-FSD, I wonder why AUS-FSD before Austin-OMA? Do they think maybe WN or AA would respond on AUS-OMA maybe?

jgcotter

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10 am

A320 RP-C3263 was officially re-registered as N289NV yesterday and is in induction at MLB.

braniff2hav

Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Well they did it, LAX-SHV .... ARRIVED last evening and was full , returning virtually full. Good for G4 and SHV!

TYSflyer

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:03 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
Well it looks like the CKB-MDW experiment was dropped fairly quickly.

That was one of the stranger routes that G4 has attempted.

Not to say it wasn’t a weird add but have you been to that area lately? Definitely a significant amount of growth in both Morgantown and Clarksburg. That area seems to be marching to a different economic beat than the rest of WV. I thought that route would fare well, but obviously I was wrong. With that being said, I suspect in the coming years there may be more growth at CKB.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Not to say it wasn’t a weird add but have you been to that area lately? Definitely a significant amount of growth in both Morgantown and Clarksburg. That area seems to be marching to a different economic beat than the rest of WV. I thought that route would fare well, but obviously I was wrong. With that being said, I suspect in the coming years there may be more growth at CKB.

Yes, any area with a major university is going to do better economically these days than many other places. It's just that the route didn't fit the mold of the other routes for G4 on either end, and UA was already flying ORD-CKB.

maps4ltd

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Yeah. I'm still surprised G4 has started CRW. It seems like a natural fit, and Hurricane/Teays Valley (the area on I-64 between Charleston and Huntington) is growing. Though I guess HTS can seep up most of that traffic.

ibthebigd

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:53 pm

I'm surprised G4 hasn't moved to CRW also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mexicana757

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:37 am

maps4ltd wrote:

The route didn't even start on the announced date. I'm sure it will remain on their route map as seasonal just like MDW-DSM, a route that was suppose to start June of last year.

res77W

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 am

I noticed N293NV has a WiFi dome, I’m assuming Allegiant isn’t planning on offering any sort of inflight connectivity anytime soon?

-Rowen

MavyWavyATR

Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:07 am

res77W wrote:
I noticed N293NV has a WiFi dome, I’m assuming Allegiant isn’t planning on offering any sort of inflight connectivity anytime soon?

-Rowen

Not right now (to our knowledge). But considering that NK is installing it on theirs, G4 is gonna have to offer it at some point to stay competitive.

jgcotter

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Has 228 been rolled across the runway yet at SFB to Avocet?

nkops

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:53 pm

jgcotter wrote:
Has 228 been rolled across the runway yet at SFB to Avocet?

Negative, still sitting in front of AAY mx hangar with no engines

cbphoto

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:12 pm

res77W wrote:

-Rowen

Not currently, however most of the aircraft have the technology installed to operate Wifi. It’s likely just a matter of time before it becomes another purchase option onboard. Has COVID not happened, there is a chance wifi would already have been offered!

william

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:31 pm

cbphoto wrote:
res77W wrote:

-Rowen

Not currently, however most of the aircraft have the technology installed to operate Wifi. It’s likely just a matter of time before it becomes another purchase option onboard. Has COVID not happened, there is a chance wifi would already have been offered!

I am surprised Allegiant is passing up a big revenue source. What kind of maintenance can their be on a mega wifi sitting on top of the aircraft?

TYSflyer

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:51 pm

william wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
res77W wrote:

-Rowen

I am surprised Allegiant is passing up a big revenue source. What kind of maintenance can their be on a mega wifi sitting on top of the aircraft?

I received a survey via email from G4 regarding WiFi onboard the other day. It is something they are obviously evaluating.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos