Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA302

Re: Spirit Airlines Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Can anyone explain the STL-FLL departure time for me? It is daily at 7:10 pm which does not make a ton of sense because of the loss of pretty much any and all connections. Happy to listen and learn.

AC4500

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:53 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Can anyone explain the STL-FLL departure time for me? It is daily at 7:10 pm which does not make a ton of sense because of the loss of pretty much any and all connections. Happy to listen and learn.

If I had to guess, they probably just need to get the plane to FLL for whatever flights they scheduled the aircraft to fly for the following day.

If I were planning these routes, I would have made the FLL departure 7:00 AM and the MCO departure 7:10 PM (instead of the other way around).

TWA302

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:57 pm

AC4500 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

If I had to guess, they probably just need to get the plane to FLL for whatever flights they scheduled the aircraft to fly for the following day.

If I were planning these routes, I would have made the FLL departure 7:00 AM and the MCO departure 7:10 PM (instead of the other way around).

I would think both FLL and MCO would be morning flights. MCO for obvious reasons but FLL for the ability to connect to the Caribbean and Latin America.

AC4500

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 pm

TWA302 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

I would think both FLL and MCO would be morning flights. MCO for obvious reasons but FLL for the ability to connect to the Caribbean, South/Central America.

I agree that they should both ideally be morning flights, I'm just saying that if they had no choice but to schedule one of them as an evening departure (e.g. due to a lack of gate space, or to position the aircraft for the next day's flights), MCO would probably be a better option for an evening flight. With naturally higher O&D, NK would be able to fill the plane much easier if their MCO flight departed at a more inconvenient time rather than the FLL flight.

Heck, LAS/LAX would be the better evening departure option since those flights would arrive on the west coast before midnight.

GSPSPOT

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm

Does the NK website indicate the aircraft type anywhere during the booking process? I tried to find that info while looking at flights but couldn't.
Great Lakes, great life.

SteveXC500

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:13 pm

TWA302 wrote:

No idea really but they’ve run MSP-FLL at midnight and you get in by 5 AM with long connection times. Only this spring did they modify it to a more “normal” time.

dabpit

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:25 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Does the NK website indicate the aircraft type anywhere during the booking process? I tried to find that info while looking at flights but couldn't.

Click on the view seat map when on the page with the flight options. It lists the aircraft type there.
Carpe Diem

NJFlyer27

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

Yes, it does. Once you've conducted a search for your flights, select the flight you want.

Under the "stops" column click on your flight. It wil expand and list the flight info along with the aircraft

freakyrat

Re: Spirit adds Pensacola (PNS) & St. Louis (STL)

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm

They will also get miltary fliers looking for cheap air fares serving PNS.

DeltaRules

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
dabpit wrote:
New service from STL to LAS/LAX/MCO/FLL/PNS and from PNS to AUS/DFW/MCI/IND/SDF/CMH/STL

Surprised by PNS and predicted STL since it is in line with Spirit's Midwest expansion.

Surprising no DTW-PNS
I'm not surprised, they've given DTW the cold shoulder since their leadership changed.

And CMH, which did get PNS, is headed up by former DTW CEO Joe Nardone.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flymco753

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

Surprising no DTW-PNS
I'm not surprised, they've given DTW the cold shoulder since their leadership changed.

And CMH, which did get PNS, is headed up by former DTW CEO Joe Nardone.
NK got a new VP of Network Planning and the WCAA got a new CEO. I'd say the relationship between the two is dead at best.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

SurfandSnow

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 pm

The Florida panhandle has suffered from exorbitantly high fares for far too long. This is excellent news for the area, and of course PNS!

Also, NK's ability and enthusiasm to connect Rust Belt markets nonstop to LAX continues to impress me. Aren't they the only carrier that has managed to make LAX-PIT work in recent years? LAX-MKE also springs to mind as another recent NK addition on a route that has been challenging for various carriers to operate over the years...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

ryanrap1

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Wish they would give SAT Some love

FLYKTPA

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:05 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
STL-PNS daily really surpised me. Also STL getting 5 out of the gate. Happy to see them finally come. LAX probably excites me the most, we need more ULCC routes like that to push down prices.

Allegiant, known for their low frequency, offers VPS-BLV up to 3x daily during the summer.

Spirit is incredibly smart for making PNS daily. Should be a winner for them.

SurfandSnow

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:

I'm surprised NK hasn't returned to SAT yet. One of the very few domestic destinations they left and haven't (yet) returned to!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

iAvgeek737

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 pm

tphuang wrote:
Not sure they will all work out, but generally solid adds. What are the largest unserved markets for NK now?

They are really connecting the dots very well coming out of COVID

Cities: SFO (But I guess thats covered by OAK/SJC) , Same with MIA and FLL/PBI and DCA with BWI

Markets: CVG, SAT, SLC, ALB, prob a few more they dont serve yet that have service from pretty much everyone except B6

NJFlyer27

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:46 pm

flymco753 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
dabpit wrote:
New service from STL to LAS/LAX/MCO/FLL/PNS and from PNS to AUS/DFW/MCI/IND/SDF/CMH/STL

Surprised by PNS and predicted STL since it is in line with Spirit's Midwest expansion.

Surprising no DTW-PNS

Let's not forget the maintenance base that was established at DTW.

DTW is covered very nicely by Spirit as they pretty much hit every marjor metro area in the U.S. Plus, they have a very loyal following in the area.

Adds to EWR, CLT, STL, BNA, ORD and possibly BDL could work nicely.

I know ORD was flown years ago and was very popular, but they needed to move aircraft to routes that made more money.

steex

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:47 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Not sure they will all work out, but generally solid adds. What are the largest unserved markets for NK now?

Cities: SFO (But I guess thats covered by OAK/SJC) , Same with MIA and FLL/PBI and DCA with BWI

Markets: CVG, SAT, SLC, ALB, prob a few more they dont serve yet that have service from pretty much everyone except B6

Just a minor correction, NK doesn't serve SJC either. Their Bay Area service is solely to OAK.

a318

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
ryanrap1 wrote:

I'm surprised NK hasn't returned to SAT yet. One of the very few domestic destinations they left and haven't (yet) returned to!

Waiting for them to return to ISP (for the third time).

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
The Florida panhandle has suffered from exorbitantly high fares for far too long.

Ehh. PNS, VPS and ECP are shown to be avg price from the DOT's airline fares report. They're not cheap like FLL or MCO (which run about 10% below avg), but they're not priced like western mountain resorts or Key West, either:

HDN +86%

EGE +84%

ASE +72%

DRO +52%

EYW +43%

JAC +43%

DOMESTIC AIRLINE FARES
CONSUMER REPORT, 4Q19

tb727

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:52 am

NCAD95 wrote:
Very disappointing not to see DTW-PNS on this list.

No DTW-STL as well...
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:54 am

dabpit wrote:
PNS is a surprising add especially with the number of flights/destinations.

It is going to be a very crowded PNS ramp this summer....

Jshank83

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 am

tb727 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
Very disappointing not to see DTW-PNS on this list.

No DTW-STL as well...

I just can't see the demand on STL-DTW to have a 3rd airline on it.

Luke1994

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 am

flymco753 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:
I actually think NK could make DTW-PNS work.
Spirit has given DTW the cold shoulder ever since their leadership has changed so no, I don't see NK adding DTW in the future.

No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.
CFI

Blerg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:37 am

Can someone please tell me who owns Spirit? Hopefully not a corporation.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:03 am

Blerg wrote:

First day here?

stl07

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:21 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
STL-PNS daily really surpised me. Also STL getting 5 out of the gate. Happy to see them finally come. LAX probably excites me the most, we need more ULCC routes like that to push down prices.

Allegiant, known for their low frequency, offers VPS-BLV up to 3x daily during the summer.

Spirit is incredibly smart for making PNS daily. Should be a winner for them.

Especially because this flight is from the actual airport of STL, not some cornfield airport an hour away from most suburbs. BLV is decently close to the urban areas to its credit, but nothing beats service right out of the main airport
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Blerg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Blerg wrote:

First day here?

Of course not but I am not from the US so I don't see why I would need to know that?

twaconnie

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 pm

Spirit seems to be expanding fast,I think they should thread carefully or they could end up like Braniff.

Babyshark

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:16 pm

twaconnie wrote:
Spirit seems to be expanding fast,I think they should thread carefully or they could end up like Braniff.

Well considering some of the country have collapsed, it’s probably just a reallocation of resources.

Polot

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Blerg wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Blerg wrote:

First day here?

Of course not but I am not from the US so I don't see why I would need to know that?

Spirit is a publicly listed company, they are not a private corporation owned by another company.

Indigo Partners (current majority owner of Frontier and JetSmart, partial owner of Volaris and Wizzair) use to own Spirit and was instrumental in their transformation to a ULCC in the late 2000s/early 2010s. They cashed out in 2013 though, bought Frontier, and began that airline’s transformation following the same game plan.

Blerg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

First day here?

Spirit is a publicly listed company, they are not a private corporation owned by another company.

Indigo Partners (current majority owner of Frontier and JetSmart, partial owner of Volaris and Wizzair) use to own Spirit and was instrumental in their transformation to a ULCC in the late 2000s/early 2010s. They cashed out in 2013 though, bought Frontier, and began that airline’s transformation following the same game plan.

Thank you. Do you know what kind of airline they were before Indigo stepped in? What kind of travel experience did you have when flying with them?

Polot

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:33 pm

Blerg wrote:
Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thank you. Do you know what kind of airline they were before Indigo stepped in? What kind of travel experience did you have when flying with them?

Before Indigo Spirit was a thoroughly average and oft forgotten 2 class LCC, kind of in the same vein as AirTran but much smaller and a lot less successful. Big Front Seat was called Spirit Plus and had basic business class service.

Blerg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Polot wrote:

Before Indigo Spirit was a thoroughly average and oft forgotten 2 class LCC, kind of in the same vein as AirTran but much smaller and a lot less successful. Big Front Seat was called Spirit Plus and had basic business class service.

Thank you, that's wat I was wondering, I was not sure if they were an LCC or they still had some sort of an onboard product in economy class.

albspotter

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:36 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

B6 serves ALB. They fly FLL and MCO and were thinking of adding PBI pre-covid. I believe if NK comes here they'll do well with BWI/FLL/MCO and MYR seasonally.

iFlyDTW

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Luke1994 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:
Spirit has given DTW the cold shoulder ever since their leadership has changed so no, I don't see NK adding DTW in the future.

No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.
Exactly, Spirit has just added new service to PHX, what more can people ask for?

dabpit

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:52 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
dabpit wrote:
PNS is a surprising add especially with the number of flights/destinations.

It is going to be a very crowded PNS ramp this summer....

Hope someone gets some good pictures of the packed ramp :)
Carpe Diem

maps4ltd

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:33 am

Random question: Anyone know what gate Spirit uses at SEA?
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

AC4500

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:18 am

maps4ltd wrote:

I believe they operate from common-use gates in the South Satellite terminal which are S1 & S3.

wnflyguy

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:34 am

AC4500 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

I believe they operate from common-use gates in the South Satellite terminal which are S1 & S3.

They were using B6 about a year ago while construction of the A gates we're being finished.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

norcarolinian

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Spirit relaunches GSO-FLL starting May 6

https://flyfrompti.com/spirit-returns-with-bonus/
A319 A320 A321 A333 AT76 B712 B721 B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B737 B738 B752 B753 B764 B772 CNA CRJ1 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DC87 DC91 DC93 DC95 DH8A DH8B DH8C E140 E145 E170 E175 E190 F27 F100 JS31 JS32 L101 MD82 MD83 MD88 MD90 SF34 SWM

NCAD95

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
Luke1994 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.
Exactly, Spirit has just added new service to PHX, what more can people ask for?

DTW-SRQ/VPS/SJU and it looks like PHX is only temporary.

iFlyDTW

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:42 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
iFlyDTW wrote:
Luke1994 wrote:
No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.

DTW-SRQ/VPS/SJU and it looks like PHX is only temporary.
If they keep extending the PHX flight, it might become regularly scheduled. It's a good way to see what kind of loads they can get without scheduling too far in advance. I would say that it's going well if they keep extending it. As for SRQ and SJU, I'm sure you know Delta has extended SRQ through the summer and SJU was daily throughout the winter. Just like the PHX philosophy, it must be doing fine if they keep extending it.

AC4500

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Luke1994 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.

Not to mention that DTW has a very strong DL hub. Be thankful for what you have.

NCAD95

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:34 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Luke1994 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

No, they haven’t.

Don’t start.

Not to mention that DTW has a very strong DL hub. Be thankful for what you have.

And that right there is the problem.

JAXDan

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Any chance of a return to JAX? They were down to just JAX-BWI when Covid first started.

Moonship

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 am

JAXDan wrote:
Any chance of a return to JAX? They were down to just JAX-BWI when Covid first started.
Looks like JAX is completely removed from the website. Other cities that were just paused are still there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

B747forever

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:07 am

Which concourse will Spirit use at MKE?
Work Hard, Fly Right

Jshank83

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:28 am

Pretty sure Spirit extended their schedule. I don’t think it was into November before.

SteveXC500

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Pretty sure Spirit extended their schedule. I don’t think it was into November before.

They did. Happened Sunday evening/night, I believe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos