Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

Re: Spirit Airlines Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:22 pm

That's taking the fight to WN. Every single one of those routes appears as a non-stop on the WN route map today.

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That's taking the fight to WN. Every single one of those routes appears as a non-stop on the WN route map today.

They really are taking it WN no wonder they should buy them

avi8

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 pm

TPA seems to be a pretty big NK station as well.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:31 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Spirit is bringing it to MKE

Spirit Airlines Service to/from MKE:

Destination: 

Flights Available: 

Launch Date: 

Las Vegas (LAS) Daily June 24, 2021

Los Angeles (LAX) Daily June 24, 2021

Orlando (MCO) Daily June 24, 2021

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) NEW Daily Nov. 17, 2021

Fort Myers (RSW) NEW Daily Nov. 17, 2021

Phoenix (PHX) NEW Daily Nov. 17, 2021

Tampa (TPA) NEW Daily Nov. 17, 2021

Cancun (CUN) NEW 3x per week Dec. 23, 2021

Interesting how fast they are growing some of their newest cities.

STL started last month, 9 routes announced
SDF started last month, 7 routes announced
PNS started this month, 7 routes announced
Now MKE started today and 8 routes announced.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 pm

What fraction of Spirit's fleet is flying? I'm curious how much they rebounded.

Lightsaber

dopplerd

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm

lightsaber wrote:
What fraction of Spirit's fleet is flying? I'm curious how much they rebounded.

Lightsaber

Planespotters.net is showing 150 out of 161 flying now. I don't know the exact pre-pandemic fleet size but, if 150 is accurate, i think that is more planes than Spirit has ever flown in its history.

phxtravelboy

Spirit launches MKE today and already announces new routes

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 pm

5 new cities being added already. The bloodbath to FL continues with Sun Country entering the fray a bit later this year.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 313194001/

DaCubbyBearBar

Re: Spirit launches MKE today and already announces new routes

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 pm

It is just amazing at how many new routes are being added. MIA and MKE, they see huge growth, so where are these planes coming from? Is it new planes or ones that were sitting in the desert? Is John Kirby from UA, as that name sounds familiar?

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:08 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
It is just amazing at how many new routes are being added. MIA and MKE, they see huge growth, so where are these planes coming from? Is it new planes or ones that were sitting in the desert? Is John Kirby from UA, as that name sounds familiar?

I think it’s coming from new planes

Jshank83

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Three new stations with big adds on the first day of service. Good to see. Maybe they should have come to them sooner.

johnboy

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Three new stations with big adds on the first day of service. Good to see. Maybe they should have come to them sooner.

That seems to do their MO. They announced service to new destinations on inaugural day in Louisville.

FLYKTPA

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

According to their investor presentation, they are getting 9 new aircraft total the next two quarters. 21 aircraft next year.

joeblow10

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 pm

Know this is a Spirit discussion … but between their 100+ planes on order and Frontier’s 150+ planes, the next 5 years sure are going to get painful for WN and the legacies as the ULCCs deploy more and more places/routes

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:54 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Know this is a Spirit discussion … but between their 100+ planes on order and Frontier’s 150+ planes, the next 5 years sure are going to get painful for WN and the legacies as the ULCCs deploy more and more places/routes

Toss Breeze into that as well.

tphuang

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 pm

I see NK as going directly after WN markets. F9 is going after a lot of markets that the Big4 don't serve directly, so that will hurt connection yields of the big 3 most likely.

Again, WN used to have a lot of monopolies on these middle of America leisure routes and NK has invaded a lot of those markets in the past year. A lot.

For all those talks about where WN might open up their next station, the conversation should be about how they are going to handle the NK threat.

I may have to change my prediction that WN will come out of pandemic in the best shape. It's look increasingly like a ULCC friendly market place.

Flflyer83

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:58 pm

tphuang wrote:
I see NK as going directly after WN markets. F9 is going after a lot of markets that the Big4 don't serve directly, so that will hurt connection yields of the big 3 most likely.

Again, WN used to have a lot of monopolies on these middle of America leisure routes and NK has invaded a lot of those markets in the past year. A lot.

For all those talks about where WN might open up their next station, the conversation should be about how they are going to handle the NK threat.

I may have to change my prediction that WN will come out of pandemic in the best shape. It's look increasingly like a ULCC friendly market place.

NK is preemptively starting a lot of markets that B6 isn’t in yet… B6 is the biggest loser in the NK expansion. I don’t see the B6 brand being in existence 5 years from now.

tphuang

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:03 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

NK is preemptively starting a lot of markets that B6 isn’t in yet… B6 is the biggest loser in the NK expansion. I don’t see the B6 brand being in existence 5 years from now.

lol, I don't see B6 interested in any of these markets. I do see WN already having monopolies in many of these markets. Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense.

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm

tphuang wrote:

Today in interviews and articles GK hinted towards lots of possible INT adds next year and even mentioned from fort Lauderdale there max 7 could go to places as far as Brazil signaling they might go at NK to South America from FLL

LASVegan

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Wneast wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Today in interviews and articles GK hinted towards lots of possible INT adds next year and even mentioned from fort Lauderdale there max 7 could go to places as far as Brazil signaling they might go at NK to South America from FLL

With NK running them out of so many of their markets, they’re going to have to put those planes somewhere.

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 pm

LASVegan wrote:
Wneast wrote:
tphuang wrote:

With NK running them out of so many of their markets, they’re going to have to put those planes somewhere.

Ok I wouldn’t go that far they aren’t running them out WN will always be bigger

freakyrat

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:54 pm

GK is Jetstar Japan you mean NK.

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm

freakyrat wrote:

No GK was WN CEO

AirKevin

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
Is John Kirby from UA, as that name sounds familiar?

That would be Scott Kirby from UA.

MIflyer12

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Wneast wrote:
LASVegan wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Running them out means routes and destinations, not total size.

NK stayed an DTW-ATL when WN dumped it, for example.

Wneast

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
LASVegan wrote:

Running them out means routes and destinations, not total size.

NK stayed an DTW-ATL when WN dumped it, for example.

But anybody think they will give up market in MKE,SDF,MCI, STL I would say not

OzarkD9S

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:56 pm

Wneast wrote:

MKE: Maybe.
SDF: Maybe.
MCI/STL: Doubtful.

airplaneboy

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:09 am

The ULCC model doesn’t appeal to every WN customer. There is space for both airlines, and an even more finite amount of space in each market for NK and F9. That’s why you rarely see them have multiple daily frequencies in markets like WN does. NK’s intro fares are great at attracting attention, but like WN and everyone else they steadily increase over time. They’ll both do just fine and I don’t see WN being run out of any markets.

freakyrat

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 am

Wneast wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

No GK was WN CEO

OK Got It.

freakyrat

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 am

airplaneboy wrote:
The ULCC model doesn’t appeal to every WN customer. There is space for both airlines, and an even more finite amount of space in each market for NK and F9. That’s why you rarely see them have multiple daily frequencies in markets like WN does. NK’s intro fares are great at attracting attention, but like WN and everyone else they steadily increase over time. They’ll both do just fine and I don’t see WN being run out of any markets.

Different type models and customers. NK caters to the Greyhound Bus crowd and students etc.

joeblow10

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 am

airplaneboy wrote:

Most definitely. But I will say, while the ULCC model doesn’t generally appeal to me, often times I will see NK or F9 undercutting WN by $150-200 each way when I’m going to Vegas or MCO. Anecdotal, for sure, but those are exactly how the ULCCs make inroads and over time erode the base

evank516

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If I had a dollar for every time someone said that about B6 I’d be able to buy the airline myself.

hbernal1

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 am

NK is going after WN big time if I’m being honest. What’s interesting is that NK seem poised to come out in a great position. More destinations and a lot more aircraft in its fleet. MKE is a great place for NK to slot in and undercut WN.
Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Why is B6 the big loser here? MKE will always be just a spoke when they start flying there next year. The only Florida market that makes sense for B6 to add is FLL when JetBlue are ready to expand and turn it into a Caribbean/LatAm hub.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:29 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I think it’s more that WN is still down in those markets compared to pre covid and it cant really defend at the moment being spread so thin with new markets and planes eating up time on new Hawaii routes. So NK has a chance to make some inroads while WN basically can’t do anything about it. Probably a smart move by NK with the timing of it. Eventually when WN gets more planes they can fill those back out but by then NK will have gotten good traffic and some new passengers that tried them that maybe wouldn’t have if WN wasn’t thin.

Abeam79

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:00 am

NK is preemptively starting a lot of markets that B6 isn’t in yet… B6 is the biggest loser in the NK expansion. I don’t see the B6 brand being in existence 5 years from now.[/quote]

Are you serious with this garbage? B6 will not go throwing a bunch of resources into markets that have a fraction of yields when they are focusing on in the northeast that bring in much higher revenues. NK can have MKE trying to cater to that type of market demand where many of them would've either not be flying or just drive. B6 on the otherhand will serve MKE as a spoke to bolster their focus cities where they looking to grow relevance for a whole different market that will drive premiums in their focus cities. Hence why NK did't par so well trying to add a slew of routes out of EWR/BOS earlier on. Those routes pulled back will fund these routes. WN may have a slight challenge but they will hold their own just fine in these markets, they cater to a market not too far from what NK goes after.

Wneast wrote:

They didn't do so well in FLL prior to covid going against NK/B6, and now both of those carriers will have even more breadth out of south florida. I think the ship has sailed with a big WN FLL operation. Maybe something out of houston. But the years of chatter of "possible WN Intnl expansion" that executives have hinted have been all just that, has been quite the opposite in the reality that has ensued in the years since I been hearing everytime they "hint" at it. If you see thier longer haul flying never really does that well. They are set up for connect the dots shorter haul flying.

Wneast

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:04 am

Abeam79 wrote:

Are you serious with this garbage? B6 will not go throwing a bunch of resources into markets that have a fraction of yields when they are focusing on in the northeast that bring in much higher revenues. NK can have MKE trying to cater to that type of market demand where many of them would've either not be flying or just drive. B6 on the otherhand will serve MKE as a spoke to bolster their focus cities where they looking to grow relevance for a whole different market that will drive premiums in their focus cities. Hence why NK did't par so well trying to add a slew of routes out of EWR/BOS earlier on. Those routes pulled back will fund these routes. WN may have a slight challenge but they will hold their own just fine in these markets, they cater to a market not too far from what NK goes after.

Wneast wrote:

They didn't do so well in FLL prior to covid going against NK/B6, and now both of those carriers will have even more breadth out of south florida. I think the ship has sailed with a big WN FLL operation. Maybe something out of houston. But the years of chatter of "possible WN Intnl expansion" that executives have hinted have been all just that, has been quite the opposite in the reality that has ensued in the years since I been hearing everytime they "hint" at it. If you see thier longer haul flying never really does that well. They are set up for connect the dots shorter haul flying.[/quote]
I do agree they don’t do on most long haul but I wouldn’t say they aren’t doing well on hawaii long haul flying. They keep on adding there because they are doing well

OzarkD9S

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

OzarkD9S wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I think it’s more that WN is still down in those markets compared to pre covid and it cant really defend at the moment being spread so thin with new markets and planes eating up time on new Hawaii routes. So NK has a chance to make some inroads while WN basically can’t do anything about it. Probably a smart move by NK with the timing of it. Eventually when WN gets more planes they can fill those back out but by then NK will have gotten good traffic and some new passengers that tried them that maybe wouldn’t have if WN wasn’t thin.

Can't remember which WN exec said in a recent interview that STL and MKE were a priority to be fleshed out in terms of depth and frequency. In the WN scheme of things, STL is a more important market for WN as it's essentially a hub so that might leave MKE in a more vulnerable position. Then again, maybe not.

pmanni1

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Should be interesting to see if MKE is a large enough market to support 3-4 carriers on the same route.

rj777

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:03 pm

ok, so Spirit is operating out of gate D43. Wonder where SunCountry (and eventually Jetblue) are gonna end up. My guess is JetBlue will also end up in D somewhere, and Sun Country will end up over in C near WN

TVNWZ

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Deja vu all over again. I want to see the ULCC schedules/destinations this time next year. My money is on not much difference.
We’ll see.

kiowa

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:07 pm

I have not flown Spirit in quite a while but it would be nice to fly out of MKE again and not be forced to fly SWA.

mke717spotter

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:17 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Should be interesting to see if MKE is a large enough market to support 3-4 carriers on the same route.

Sun Country's flights to LAS, RSW, and PHX are only twice weekly. G4 had a similar schedule at MKE and lasted only about a year.

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:20 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Wneast wrote:

When flying against a carrier with a MUCH lower cost structure, defending share means losing money (or at least accepting depressed returns). WN needs to figure out price and product positioning relative to ULCCs, AA/DL/UA, and super-regionals like B6 and AS, then build a cost structure to make $ at those yields.

stl07

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

lol, I don't see B6 interested in any of these markets. I do see WN already having monopolies in many of these markets. Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense.

STL was on a so-called shortlist for B6 service. Guess who isn't in STL right now. Instead AA added a flight or two to BOS and they called it a day. I think I know what factor changed in between the B6 internal announcement and the AA official announcement

Now I'm not saying I think B6 is gonna go out of business but they certainly may feel some burn

stl07

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

OzarkD9S wrote:

Can't remember which WN exec said in a recent interview that STL and MKE were a priority to be fleshed out in terms of depth and frequency. In the WN scheme of things, STL is a more important market for WN as it's essentially a hub so that might leave MKE in a more vulnerable position. Then again, maybe not.

I think we are seeing this time and time again. DL says AUS is going to be a focus city, AA sweeps in. WN says MKE and STL are going to see expansion, NK announces a major expansion.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:19 pm

stl07 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:

STL was on a so-called shortlist for B6 service. Guess who isn't in STL right now. Instead AA added a flight or two to BOS and they called it a day. I think I know what factor changed in between the B6 internal announcement and the AA official announcement

Now I'm not saying I think B6 is gonna go out of business but they certainly may feel some burn

B6 and AA formed a partnership or whatever you want to call it. That is what happened. They aren't going to compete on a route like STL/MCI/MKE-BOS. So they decided AA would get STL and B6 would get the other two.

chrisnh

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:01 pm

I’m thinking it’s likely that they will connect MKE with Manchester, NH twice daily. MHT needs more East-west flow because, as much as we love to go to Florida, we also want to go to other dots called LAS, PHX, LAX.

stl07

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

B6 and AA formed a partnership or whatever you want to call it. That is what happened. They aren't going to compete on a route like STL/MCI/MKE-BOS. So they decided AA would get STL and B6 would get the other two.

But you have to wonder why that happened after B6 told their crew STL was coming soon. B6 hubs are also in FLL and MCO and I think that LAX is a focus city for them, all of which were places the NK began from STL

LASVegan

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I’m thinking it’s likely that they will connect MKE with Manchester, NH twice daily. MHT needs more East-west flow because, as much as we love to go to Florida, we also want to go to other dots called LAS, PHX, LAX.

Seriously? I don’t think so. If they want to connect MHT to the west (point to point leisure markets and not east west conx haven’t been NKs forte lately), they would likely use DTW, ORD, or BWI (which offer many more westbound connections than the new, limited MKE).

tphuang

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:11 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

But you have to wonder why that happened after B6 told their crew STL was coming soon. B6 hubs are also in FLL and MCO and I think that LAX is a focus city for them, all of which were places the NK began from STL

B6 is currently only focused on connecting dots to NYC and to a smaller degree Boston. As part of NEA, they kind of divided up which markets AA will take and which markets B6 will take. Frankly, B6 does not have the resources to add all those markets. It has nothing to do with what NK adds. B6 will happily watch NK battle out WN in these markets.

GSPSPOT

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm

For me (and hopefully many more flyers) there are LCCs and ULCCs, and then there's NK. The Big Front Seat makes the difference for me. Good planning and judicious use of add-ons makes that a no-brainer for flyers like me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos