Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BangersAndMash

Re: Frontier to announce expansion at MIA

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:01 pm

It's gonna be fun watching F9 and NK beat each other to a pulp.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:05 pm

Oh, there's plenty of passengers to take from AA.

BangersAndMash

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm

AA will be fine.

FLALEFTY

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Miami wrote:
Frontier will be hosting a press conference tomorrow at MIA.

The press conference will be to formally announce a new expansion from MIA.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/frontier-a ... on-at-mia/

Thoughts?

- Miami

I wonder if they (and NK) are going to have enough gates at MIA to pull this off. I'm already seeing lots of "penalty box" action going on waiting for gates. It gets to be a real mess when RWY 27 & 30 ops are active.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

AA will be fine. They have a huge hub there and a major cargo station, as everyone knows. It's F9 and NK I'd be more concerned about. They'll fight each other to chase $19 fares until one or both dramatically cuts back when the realize MIA is an expensive airport to operate from (and a challenging one during certain times of the year due to weather). AA has weirdly made public in recent years some headwinds with the MIA operation but they are not going anywhere and have already bulked it up a lot since the pandemic began.

Miami

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Miami wrote:

Thoughts?

- Miami

I wonder if they (and NK) are going to have enough gates at MIA to pull this off. I'm already seeing lots of "penalty box" action going on waiting for gates. It gets to be a real mess when RWY 27 & 30 ops are active.

I think MIA officials are starting to realize that, especially the county politicians. Recently, Miami-Dade County mayor replaced MIA's director for putting "friction" on contracts and agreements which included the master plan for MIA to build a new central terminal and other things.

Gates are becoming more and more of an issue at MIA and it's time they hurry up and build a new a terminal and other key necessities.

No one expected this type of expansion from Frontier and Spirit and its only a matter of time that MIA gets an expansion from Southwest and JetBlue.

Miami

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:48 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

AA will be fine. They have a huge hub there and a major cargo station, as everyone knows. It's F9 and NK I'd be more concerned about. They'll fight each other to chase $19 fares until one or both dramatically cuts back when the realize MIA is an expensive airport to operate from (and a challenging one during certain times of the year due to weather). AA has weirdly made public in recent years some headwinds with the MIA operation but they are not going anywhere and have already bulked it up a lot since the pandemic began.

MIA has cut down on its fees and has no plans to go back to the pre-pandemic fees.

TWA302

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:16 pm

Miami wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
Miami wrote:

Thoughts?

- Miami

I think MIA officials are starting to realize that, especially the county politicians. Recently, Miami-Dade County mayor replaced MIA's director for putting "friction" on contracts and agreements which included the master plan for MIA to build a new central terminal and other things.

Gates are becoming more and more of an issue at MIA and it's time they hurry up and build a new a terminal and other key necessities.

No one expected this type of expansion from Frontier and Spirit and its only a matter of time that MIA gets an expansion from Southwest and JetBlue.

Man, you can say that again. Flew WN to MIA last month and that G terminal (which F9 uses too) is a complete hole in the wall and is serious need of a major facelift :ill:

tphuang

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 pm

This does feel targeted more at NK.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Miami wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

MIA has cut down on its fees and has no plans to go back to the pre-pandemic fees.

It's not an issue of higher fees vs. pre-pandemic levels. MIA is an expensive airport to operate from even with the cuts, and specifically for ULCCs.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm

The best thing F9 could do at MIA to secure more pax would be to boost frequencies to compete with NK at FLL. There is no reason why most North East routes including PHL/ISP/TTN/BOS/EWR should be served so little. These are key routes for SOFLO and NK recognizes this and pours the capacity onto them.

MavyWavyATR

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:07 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
AA will be fine.

If I'm AA, this (along with NK setting up shop) would honestly scare the heck out of me. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

B752OS

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:22 pm

I know South Florida had dirt cheap fares during the pandemic that had to be a big reason passenger numbers were not hammered as hard as the rest of the country. But how have fares been since? All of this competition has to be driving down fares which is a good thing for passengers.

Miami

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:22 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Miami wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:

Man, you can say that again. Flew WN to MIA last month and that G terminal (which F9 uses too) is a complete hole in the wall and is serious need of a major facelift :ill:

They plan to demolish it in the near future but knowing Miami politicians, it'll be sometime..

Miami

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Frontier, Spirit, Southwest and JetBlue at MIA have made competition a lot better. More options, competitive fares, etc..

MIA has realized the opportunities that are being given and they have committed to these airlines, ensuring them they will do whatever it takes to please them. So far it has been working because each airline as added more flights since they started and they're all seeing great numbers.

Alaska might be next to start flights to MIA.

B752OS wrote:
I know South Florida had dirt cheap fares during the pandemic that had to be a big reason passenger numbers were not hammered as hard as the rest of the country. But how have fares been since? All of this competition has to be driving down fares which is a good thing for passengers.

Fares at still pretty cheap at all airports in South Florida.

I have been most impressed with MIA fares though. The times I have flown this past year has been from MIA (I avoid FLL when I can). Comparing FLL vs MIA fares, they are pretty much the same.

BangersAndMash

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
AA will be fine.

If I'm AA, this (along with NK setting up shop) would honestly scare the heck out of me. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Nah. While Doug and his Tempe crew won't know premium if it's hit them in the face, there's one thing they're actually good at, it's neutralizing the ULCC threat. They've done it in Dallas, they've done it in Philly, and there's no reason to think they can't do it in MIA. NK and F9 are more likely to just destroy each other.

Brickell305

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 pm

F9 recently announced a significant Caribbean expansion from MCO (including a new station). I wonder if we will get the same destinations (and more) from MIA?

MAH4546

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Miami wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

It's not an issue of higher fees vs. pre-pandemic levels. MIA is an expensive airport to operate from even with the cuts, and specifically for ULCCs.

But it's all relative. The gap between MIA and FLL has shrunk dramatically in the past few years. It's a nonissue now. MIA is not the most expensive airport to operate from in the States anymore and it's pretty much on par with other large O&D hub points.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
AA will be fine.

Nah. While Doug and his Tempe crew won't know premium if it's hit them in the face, there's one thing they're actually good at, it's neutralizing the ULCC threat. They've done it in Dallas, they've done it in Philly, and there's no reason to think they can't do it in MIA. NK and F9 are more likely to just destroy each other.

They have not done it in Dallas. And while they did a good job tempering Southwest at PHL, others have grown.

JoseSalazar

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:35 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
AA will be fine.

Until they merge :stirthepot:

BangersAndMash

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:26 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

They have not done it in Dallas. And while they did a good job tempering Southwest at PHL, others have grown.

Have a look at NK and F9 in DFW when you have a minute. Not even 5% market share, i.e. nobody. Actually, they barely hit 5% combined! I rest my case. Well and truly put in their box.

BangersAndMash

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:35 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

Until they merge :stirthepot:

Sure, but even if they do, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. It's still a niche business model that's not going to appeal to everyone. And in MIA, AA benefits from a massive network effect since it is one of their largest hubs.

braniff2hav

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:56 pm

Several giants at MIA have been known to fall (BN,EA,PA)... and AA hasn't given much of an 'edge' to choose them really for the average traveler - domestically.
They have started to specialize in a lack of service, style and they certainly do not care these days. Someone at AA better take a look at their overall onboard and airport service levels.
The last experiences I've had with them over this year look nearly like Spirit.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:11 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Have a look at NK and F9 in DFW when you have a minute. Not even 5% market share, i.e. nobody. Actually, they barely hit 5% combined! I rest my case. Well and truly put in their box.

That's absolutely not the point. Both Frontier and Spirit have excellent coverage from Dallas and extensive networks. They both fly to 20 cities from Dallas, including both of them competing with AA to Miami, Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Cancun, Chicago and Atlanta.

You are absolutely incorrect that AA has kept them at bay. They compete very well. And because AA is no longer full-service like Delta and United in it's domestic product, it does not have the advantage of a better product.

PITFlyer330

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:27 pm

IAH SAT STL MCI PIT SDF IND MSP

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:59 pm

AA service is no better in 2021 and very little to not business travel. The perfect time to just keep stealing from AA. The real winner is the flyers frontier has to be crushing AAs yields

danipawa

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:16 am

STI please !

MAH4546

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:28 am

Flights are loaded but not bookable. I have found Albany, Aruba, Norfolk, Portland (Maine), Providenciales, Rochester and Syracuse.

Maybe others.

Italianflyer

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:31 am

I doubt Team Tempe gives a rats ... .
Despite the, ummm, deficiencies in hard & soft products , their membership in OW is their AAce in the hole. Their premium demographic isn't paying top dollar for the soggy turkey avocado wrap or five buck chuck wine from Trader Joe's. Building miles and connectivity on a global network that F9,NK and WN will never achieve in our lifetimes.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 am

Miami wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Miami wrote:

They plan to demolish it in the near future but knowing Miami politicians, it'll be sometime..

Did they ever get around to redoing that dump of a hotel, that used to be a shining star before all of the infighting at MIA began?

themon

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:57 am

DTW is one.
Last edited by themon on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 am

themon wrote:
DTW is one.

DTW-MIA is already flying

Jshank83

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 am

Stl looks to be 3x a week starting Nov 1

ScottB

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:03 am

BangersAndMash wrote:

Arguably the bigger problem for F9 and NK at DFW has been WN's expansion at DAL with the end of the perimeter restrictions on domestic flights in 2014. WN very nearly doubled its passengers at DAL from 7.75 million in 2013 to 15.2 million in 2019.

MAH4546 wrote:
And because AA is no longer full-service like Delta and United in it's domestic product, it does not have the advantage of a better product.

AA is basically a ULCC for domestic and near international (i.e. Caribbean/Canada/Mexico/Central America/Northern SA) unless you buy F. Big Front Seat on NK gives you more space than Main Cabin Extra.

Italianflyer wrote:
Despite the, ummm, deficiencies in hard & soft products , their membership in OW is their AAce in the hole. Their premium demographic isn't paying top dollar for the soggy turkey avocado wrap or five buck chuck wine from Trader Joe's. Building miles and connectivity on a global network that F9,NK and WN will never achieve in our lifetimes.

Never say never. Who would have thought that WN would carry more passengers than AA or DL at HNL and OGG?

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:12 am

MAH4546 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

That's absolutely not the point. Both Frontier and Spirit have excellent coverage from Dallas and extensive networks. They both fly to 20 cities from Dallas, including both of them competing with AA to Miami, Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Cancun, Chicago and Atlanta.

You are absolutely incorrect that AA has kept them at bay. They compete very well. And because AA is no longer full-service like Delta and United in it's domestic product, it does not have the advantage of a better product.

I seem to get the feeling more and more that F9 and NK are aiming at WN routes…..

jplatts

Re: Frontier Airlines Network Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
I seem to get the feeling more and more that F9 and NK are aiming at WN routes…..

There are some domestic routes not served nonstop by WN out of DAL that are served nonstop from DFW by F9 or NK such as DFW-BUF/CVG/DRO/BDL/EWR/SFO on F9 and DFW-DTW on NK.

WN does offer connections to BUF, CVG, DTW, BDL, and SFO from DAL, and AA does serve BUF, CVG, DTW, DRO, BDL, EWR, and SFO nonstop from DFW.

Pi7472000

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:07 am

There is little difference between the service on AA and F9 anymore so this expansion will be great for Miami travelers looking for lower fares and competition. Great to see F9 expand in in Miami!

WA707atMSP

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:27 pm

I know it's a BIG no-no on Anet to say anything negative about Delta, but I think DL is another loser from F9's expansion at MIA. Although DL and F9 have a much different inflight product, F9 will lower yields at MIA, and occupy gates that could potentially be used by DL if / when they try to build their partnership with LAN.

F9's expansion at MIA will make it more difficult for any sort of future DL expansion in MIA.

Brickell305

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I know it's a BIG no-no on Anet to say anything negative about Delta, but I think DL is another loser from F9's expansion at MIA. Although DL and F9 have a much different inflight product, F9 will lower yields at MIA, and occupy gates that could potentially be used by DL if / when they try to build their partnership with LAN.

F9's expansion at MIA will make it more difficult for any sort of future DL expansion in MIA.

I think the effect on DL is minimal. Even an expanded DL is unlikely to ever want to start PLS, AUA, ORF or any of the other newly added F9 destinations. Re the gates, F9 is in a different terminal and concourse than F9 so the gate impact is also minimal. DL isn’t using G anytime soon.

TWA302

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:03 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Miami wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

Did they ever get around to redoing that dump of a hotel, that used to be a shining star before all of the infighting at MIA began?

No. I saw that thing while on the MIA mover.

stlgph

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:08 pm

usairways85

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:29 pm

MIA-PHL looks to be 2x on the 321 in November as well. I think that is an increase from the current frequency.

Seat1F

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

When was that hotel ever a "shining star"? I remember staying in it more than 20 years ago and it was a dump back then. It was a convenient place to take a nap during a long layover...nothing more. Maybe it was fairly nice when it first opened in 1960.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Seat1F wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

When was that hotel ever a "shining star"? I remember staying in it more than 20 years ago and it was a dump back then. It was a convenient place to take a nap during a long layover...nothing more. Maybe it was fairly nice when it first opened in 1960.

I remember when it was a Corporate Marriott.

ABEguy

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
There is little difference between the service on AA and F9 anymore so this expansion will be great for Miami travelers looking for lower fares and competition. Great to see F9 expand in in Miami!

What’s your favorite part of F9? Paying for a carry on? 28” pitch? No beverage service or snacks? No first class cabin or meal service in said cabin? No Wi-Fi or streaming entrainment? No ability to charge your device? No lounges or clubs?

I was recently on a MIA-JFK flight on an AA 777. In MCE which is in the PE section. While relaxing in my seat which essentially equates to a domestic business seat, at no point did I think, wow this is just like Frontier!

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm

ABEguy wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

What’s your favorite part of F9? Paying for a carry on? 28” pitch? No beverage service or snacks? No first class cabin or meal service in said cabin? No Wi-Fi or streaming entrainment? No ability to charge your device? No lounges or clubs?

I was recently on a MIA-JFK flight on an AA 777. In MCE which is in the PE section. While relaxing in my seat which essentially equates to a domestic business seat, at no point did I think, wow this is just like Frontier!

I fly in Basic economy when on the majors and these days there’s not much different between coach on DL and F9, aside from a non reclining seat. But for a short flight of less than 3-4 hours, I can deal with it. I don’t need food, drink, entertainment, charging ports, a lounge, full service. But I like it when I can fly 1500 miles for like $70 . Don’t mind add on charges because I knew of them before I book and can make the decision if I want to pay them and decide if the final fare is too high. I don’t usually pay for an assigned seat. Just take what they give. And if I’m flying to Florida for example from my home airport, I can just get on the plane and go non-stop instead of making a connection and adding another couple hours to my trip on somebody like DL or AA.
Last edited by pwm2txlhopper on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyguy89

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Isn’t this the second time now F9 has had a “major expansion” at MIA. I believe most of what was announced last time was yanked, why would this time be different?

ABEguy

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:54 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
ABEguy wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

I fly in Basic economy when on the majors and these days there’s not much different between coach on DL and F9, aside from a non reclining seat. But for a short flight of less than 3-4 hours, I can deal with it. I don’t need food, drink, entertainment, charging ports, a lounge, full service. But I like it when I can fly 1500 miles for like $70 . Don’t mind add on charges because I knew of them before I book and can make the decision if I want to pay them and decide if the final fare is too high. I don’t usually pay for an assigned seat. Just take what they give. And if I’m flying to Florida for example from my home airport, I can just get on the plane and go non-stop instead of making a connection and adding another couple hours to my trip on somebody like DL or AA.

I’m responding to a claim that there’s little difference between service on AA and F9/NK. That’s simply untrue. Even on AAs minimal offering product, the Basic Economy fare, you get more legroom, free carry on, free beverage and snack service. Wi-Fi for purchase and free streaming entertainment. All at a competitive price. Again, that’s the bare bones minimum. You have plenty of opportunity to upgrade your experience on AA as well if you please. Business class or MCE which comes with more hard and soft product improvements, access to Admirals club and Flagship lounges are also available. If you’re on a wide body or an A321T, your first/business class experience will include a lie flat seat. Reading hyperbolic statements like AA is the same as F9/NK is just annoying to those of us living in the real world.

phatfarmlines

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

I agree, and I'm still uncertain as to how MDAA plans to backfill the gate capacity once Concourse G is torn down. That eastern stub that is planned to be extended from the J concourse won't be enough, and those gates are going to be optimized for widebody operations.

Brickell305 wrote:
Even an expanded DL is unlikely to ever want to start PLS, AUA, ORF or any of the other newly added F9 destinations.

Maybe not ORF, but DL would have optimized this theoretical expansion by including in narrowbodies to the Caribbean and Central America. Flying long-hauls to South America, just to chase local Miami traffic, isn't going to materially differentiate what is already offered to ATL.

Regardless, that narrowbody expansion window is now closed for DL who is a day late and a dollar short, unless it wants to go up against an expanding F9 & NK (and probably B6 too who will be "encouraged" to dispatch flights).

MAH4546

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:38 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
Isn’t this the second time now F9 has had a “major expansion” at MIA. I believe most of what was announced last time was yanked, why would this time be different?

Every single route that Frontier has flown/announced from Miami since 2014 still operates in 2021 except Milwaukee and Washington-Dulles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos