Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alasizon

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:27 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
AA PHX-RAP resumes June 3rd for summer only at the moment, this will shut me up for while about this route LOL, still nothing on AA PHX-COS.

NK PHX-DTW was extended until May 3rd, previously only loaded for 2 weeks in March

With WN on PHX-COS I think AA is less likely to resume it in the summer, I would expect a fall/winter resumption. COS does seem to favor connections from the East in the AA network and the demand from the West just wasn't always there.

AntonioMartin

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:47 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
Being a OneWorld hub, it would more likely be JAL & Qatar.

I can dream...:)

it will happen some day.

Likely when cows fly... :lol:

I was hoping to see a 787 to Tokyo after AA took over US Airways....and then to see ANA jump to the route as a competitor...

As far as hoping to see EK (and to a lesser extent, Etihad) in Phoenix, there has been an uptick in Arabian and Indian moving here since the 90s. probably not enough for them to come here and also they probably fly BA, but you never know!!

skyharborshome

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 am

Does anyone have a total of the number of wide-bodies on DL right now? Looks like 5-6 A330s and 3 767s however it may change day to day.

INFINITI329

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:26 am

skyharborshome wrote:
Does anyone have a total of the number of wide-bodies on DL right now? Looks like 5-6 A330s and 3 767s however it may change day to day.

it looks like its everyday, i see more DL widebodies than their narrowbodies

MO11

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:25 pm

skyharborshome wrote:

There are 7 flights/day to MSP of which 6 are A330s (one doesn't run Tuesday/Wednesday). There are 7 flights to ATL (5 on Tuesday/Wednesday), 5 are 767s, the overnight is an A330. One of the DTW trips is also a 767.

MSP will switch to more 767s in April, and ATL will switch to more 757s.

travaz

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pm

MO11 wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

There are 7 flights/day to MSP of which 6 are A330s (one doesn't run Tuesday/Wednesday). There are 7 flights to ATL (5 on Tuesday/Wednesday), 5 are 767s, the overnight is an A330. One of the DTW trips is also a 767.

It is obvious that Delta has the wide body fleet available due to the lack of international flying. I guess it could also be that they are still blocking center seats? I would love to see the number of Pax on those flights.

cathay747

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm

travaz wrote:
MO11 wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

It is obvious that Delta has the wide body fleet available due to the lack of international flying. I guess it could also be that they are still blocking center seats? I would love to see the number of Pax on those flights.

Yeah, exactly, cuz jeez, what's with such a HUGE widebody deployment??? I mean, I know it's winter and U.S. snowbirds were/are still coming here, but my God, it's not like there's big conventions going on or anything. I know travel is clearly starting to rebound, but what's justifying this level of capacity? Huge cargo loads?

cathay747

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 pm

MO11 wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

After I posted my response above, I looked in Amadeus and I see that a schedule change seems to take effect as of Thurs. 25MAR and MSP as one example, will be, on that day anyway, NINE nonstops with only four of them on widebodies; in order of departure times, these are the equipment types: 752/752/333/739/332/321/739/333/76W. However, ATL stays the same...7 flights and 6 are widebodies; all 76W except for one 333, the late flight as you quoted, and even the lone narrowbody is a 753. This blows my mind.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:53 pm

The amount of widebodies to PHX is directly because the seat blocking. PHX like Florida and a few other markets is one of the major leisure markets available to travelers this time of year. I imagine with seat blocking on the widebodies the seat count comes pretty close to the 6-7 321s they ran pre-covid.

Currently, May the schedule does not reflect seat blocking, and we see a return to pretty much all 321s/739s to MSP/DTW/ATL with 1 764 turn to ATL. If they extend seat blocking, I expect that may change again back to closer to the current schedule, but maybe with less frequency since May is moving into lower season for PHX.

alasizon

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm

cathay747 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

After I posted my response above, I looked in Amadeus and I see that a schedule change seems to take effect as of Thurs. 25MAR and MSP as one example, will be, on that day anyway, NINE nonstops with only four of them on widebodies; in order of departure times, these are the equipment types: 752/752/333/739/332/321/739/333/76W. However, ATL stays the same...7 flights and 6 are widebodies; all 76W except for one 333, the late flight as you quoted, and even the lone narrowbody is a 753. This blows my mind.

Widebodies on domestic turns to PHX in the winter are nothing new for DL. The scale is up this year but when you consider they have two to three sears blocked per row, it's no different than flying full narrowbodies. DL's policy on widebodies too with only two seats on the window side results in blocked seats as well. For example, I just pulled up a seat map for a sold out A333 to MSP and my count shows 162 butts in seats or open seats pending assignment in Coach and Comfort+, since the flight has zero availability that gives you a pretty good idea of their loads (F had loads of open seats but I'm sure those will get filled with upgrades thus lightening the load in Y). That is less than the number of Y/Y+ seats that AA has filled on their 321 to MSP for the same day and less than WN's 738. DL doesn't have some large cargo movement at play here, rather since they want to remain relevant to snowbirds they have to fly the widebodies to avoid being short seats. The 767 is the most efficient seat wise for a widebody but even then, it is pretty much the same as an unrestricted narrowbody.

Ishrion

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:17 pm

alasizon

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Glad to see this, makes a lot of sense for HA and I think it'll push AA into being a little more consistent with their frequency offerings.

cm642

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:02 am

alasizon wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Glad to see this, makes a lot of sense for HA and I think it'll push AA into being a little more consistent with their frequency offerings.

Right, probably also trying to beat Southwest to the punch with their expansion into the islands, can see this going year round eventually.

cathay747

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 pm

alasizon wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Widebodies on domestic turns to PHX in the winter are nothing new for DL. The scale is up this year but when you consider they have two to three sears blocked per row, it's no different than flying full narrowbodies. DL's policy on widebodies too with only two seats on the window side results in blocked seats as well. For example, I just pulled up a seat map for a sold out A333 to MSP and my count shows 162 butts in seats or open seats pending assignment in Coach and Comfort+, since the flight has zero availability that gives you a pretty good idea of their loads (F had loads of open seats but I'm sure those will get filled with upgrades thus lightening the load in Y). That is less than the number of Y/Y+ seats that AA has filled on their 321 to MSP for the same day and less than WN's 738. DL doesn't have some large cargo movement at play here, rather since they want to remain relevant to snowbirds they have to fly the widebodies to avoid being short seats. The 767 is the most efficient seat wise for a widebody but even then, it is pretty much the same as an unrestricted narrowbody.

Thanks to you and Osubuckeyes for the great explanations, makes total sense now.

cathay747

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm

alasizon wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yes, great news, I've expected HA to do this for a long time now what with having the 321neo's, this is exactly the type of scenario they got them for, along with boosting freqs. on existing routes using baby-steps vs. throwing in too much new capacity with a 332.

But...to your point, how do you think this will push AA into being a little more consistent with their frequency offerings? What inconsistency do you see?

Call me crazy, but even with a nonstop, if I'm going to OGG, which I plan to for my next trip to Hawaii (whenever that may be given COVID), I will still connect via HNL as I want to get as much bang for my mileage-bucks and get the lie-flat seats and everything else that goes along with being on the 332 vs. a 321neo. Especially since they charge the same amount of miles no matter which type/cabin you book! (You'd think they'd break it down into two levels, but they haven't)

alasizon

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:04 pm

cathay747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yes, great news, I've expected HA to do this for a long time now what with having the 321neo's, this is exactly the type of scenario they got them for, along with boosting freqs. on existing routes using baby-steps vs. throwing in too much new capacity with a 332.

But...to your point, how do you think this will push AA into being a little more consistent with their frequency offerings? What inconsistency do you see?

Call me crazy, but even with a nonstop, if I'm going to OGG, which I plan to for my next trip to Hawaii (whenever that may be given COVID), I will still connect via HNL as I want to get as much bang for my mileage-bucks and get the lie-flat seats and everything else that goes along with being on the 332 vs. a 321neo. Especially since they charge the same amount of miles no matter which type/cabin you book! (You'd think they'd break it down into two levels, but they haven't)

AA isn't consistent with OGG frequencies, sometimes the 14:00ish departure from PHX operates and of course sometimes it doesn't. There isn't as much of a pattern to it compared to the changes between 2x and 3x daily on HNL and the inclusion of W/B. During both peak and non-peak times the 2nd OGG is cut intermittently with the decision to instead flow pax over DFW and to a lesser extent LAX. Having HA in the market will hopefully push AA to be consistent with the 2x (or at least Thu-Mon). The market is just a little too big for AA to stay at only 1x.

travaz

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm

In HA press release about the OGG flight it states that you have to do a Covid test. If you have been vaccinated is this waved when you show a vaccine card? Arizona just opened up vaccines for anyone older than 16. Hopefully we can end this hassle soon.

chrisair

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 pm

travaz wrote:
In HA press release about the OGG flight it states that you have to do a Covid test. If you have been vaccinated is this waved when you show a vaccine card?

No. Still have to have the negative PCR test even if you're vaccinated. I wouldn't expect anything to change until more people in Hawaii get their jabs.

travaz

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:16 pm

chrisair wrote:
travaz wrote:
In HA press release about the OGG flight it states that you have to do a Covid test. If you have been vaccinated is this waved when you show a vaccine card?

No. Still have to have the negative PCR test even if you're vaccinated. I wouldn't expect anything to change until more people in Hawaii get their jabs.

Thanks for the Info. I contacted HA via text but they would only give me an automated response that did not clarify.

Thanks Again.

chrisair

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:17 pm

travaz wrote:
Thanks for the Info. I contacted HA via text but they would only give me an automated response that did not clarify.

Thanks Again.

A couple friends just flew over to Maui yesterday and had to do the whole song and dance and pay the $150 or whatever it costs.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:24 pm

PCR test to Hawaii is currently only done by approved programs. CVS, Costco, and the place in T4 I believe are the only approved places in AZ. CVS is $125, but won't gaurentee turnaround time... Costco is $75 (I think), and T4 I believe is ~$200 (with limited hours).

Rumor is they are rolling out a vaccine passport. Hopefully that becomes the norm, not just for HI, but other Intl destinations as well as returning to the US.

flyboy7974

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:24 am

Has Boutique Air been flying anybody on their PRC flights in the first month of service?

wnflyguy

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 am

Anyone have Pictures plus a update on the new WN D gate addition?

Thanks in advance.
Flyguy

alasizon

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:06 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Anyone have Pictures plus a update on the new WN D gate addition?

Thanks in advance.
Flyguy

Don't have any pictures but most of the structural work for the concourse (not including the walkways) is done and most of the outer glass has been installed.

cathay747

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm

flyboy7974 wrote:
Has Boutique Air been flying anybody on their PRC flights in the first month of service?

Boutique is flying PHX/PRC/PHX? Since when? Either I didn't get the memo or I've forgotten (which is entirely possible!). I remember about their announcement to start PHX/PSP but not PRC.

cathay747

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 pm

alasizon wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

AA isn't consistent with OGG frequencies, sometimes the 14:00ish departure from PHX operates and of course sometimes it doesn't. There isn't as much of a pattern to it compared to the changes between 2x and 3x daily on HNL and the inclusion of W/B. During both peak and non-peak times the 2nd OGG is cut intermittently with the decision to instead flow pax over DFW and to a lesser extent LAX. Having HA in the market will hopefully push AA to be consistent with the 2x (or at least Thu-Mon). The market is just a little too big for AA to stay at only 1x.

Thanks for this; that correlates with what I now remember seeing in GDS schedules, so I get you now.

dutchspotter1

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:57 pm

cathay747 wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

Boutique is flying PHX/PRC/PHX? Since when? Either I didn't get the memo or I've forgotten (which is entirely possible!). I remember about their announcement to start PHX/PSP but not PRC.

https://www.boutiqueair.com/news/307 apparently since Feb 15.

BA744PHX

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm

WN is adding weekend PHX-BZN from June. 6, credit to Ishrion
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 56155.html

cathay747

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

Hey thanks for the link. Just read it; this really is news to me. And I'm picking myself up off the floor on seeing that they offer a $69 one-way fare! It's non-refundable, but hey, who cares for that price as they allow changes, just no refund. That's gotta be the most competitive airfare I've ever seen in the market, I don't recall Great Lakes having anything THAT low back when they flew this...I think I paid $99 the one time I did it.

Now, does anybody have first-hand knowledge about their safety? Flying a single-engine aircraft give me the jitters, and I don't really know much about them. Are they reliable as well as safe? I'm really attracted to this as I live in PHX metro and my mom lives up in PRC, this would be delightful alternative to driving I-17 to/from!!!

travaz

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:54 pm

cathay747 wrote:
dutchspotter1 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Hey thanks for the link. Just read it; this really is news to me. And I'm picking myself up off the floor on seeing that they offer a $69 one-way fare! It's non-refundable, but hey, who cares for that price as they allow changes, just no refund. That's gotta be the most competitive airfare I've ever seen in the market, I don't recall Great Lakes having anything THAT low back when they flew this...I think I paid $99 the one time I did it.

Now, does anybody have first-hand knowledge about their safety? Flying a single-engine aircraft give me the jitters, and I don't really know much about them. Are they reliable as well as safe? I'm really attracted to this as I live in PHX metro and my mom lives up in PRC, this would be delightful alternative to driving I-17 to/from!!!

According to Wiki they have had 2 incident/s accidents.

Date Flight Number Information
23 April 2020 BTQ902 Pilatus PC-12 registration N477SS was departing from Dallas/Ft. Worth when the pilot reported an engine problem. Finally diverting to Mesquite Metro, the aircraft crash landed short of Runway 18. The sole pilot on board received serious injuries and the airplane was damaged beyond repair.[42][43]

21 January 2021 BTQ835 Pilatus PC-12 registration N451SS was approaching Chicago O'Hare Airport as flight 4B835 when it lost the left main landing gear tire. The tire landed in Jefferson Park, a neighborhood just East of the airport. No one was injured and the Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.[44]

WN732

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:59 pm

cathay747 wrote:
dutchspotter1 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

They have a good record. The PT-6 in the Pilatus is the best turbo prop engine around. I've flown them a few times between LAX-MCE and it's a very unique experience. I would do it in a hearbeat.

cathay747

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 pm

WN732 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
dutchspotter1 wrote:

They have a good record. The PT-6 in the Pilatus is the best turbo prop engine around. I've flown them a few times between LAX-MCE and it's a very unique experience. I would do it in a hearbeat.

Thanks for the info and also thanks to "travaz" above who gave the accident info. While unnerving, I just recalled that they're a partner with UA, so I'll take that as enough of an endorsement. While I recognize the PT-6 being a great engine, I also operate on the philosophy that a major carrier like UA isn't going to partner with an outfit that's unsafe for fear of their own potential liability.

travaz

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:38 pm

I would fly on them. BTW @ cathay747 my handle refers to a previous life when I promoted Arizona Tourism Hence Trav(el) AZ =travaz!

cathay747

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm

travaz wrote:
I would fly on them. BTW @ cathay747 my handle refers to a previous life when I promoted Arizona Tourism Hence Trav(el) AZ =travaz!

Ah ha! I figured it must have something to do with travel & AZ; very clever. Guessing what mine means is hardly a stretch LOL but it's in deference to a great airline that I enjoyed 3 trips to Asia on, 2x in J and last trip in F...God was it fabulous!

LeftcoastB6

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:06 am

Any update on when AA/BA will resume London flights out of PHX?

MO11

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:48 pm

LeftcoastB6 wrote:

Any updates on when the travel bans will be lifted?

alasizon

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:10 pm

MO11 wrote:
LeftcoastB6 wrote:

Any updates on when the travel bans will be lifted?

BA tentatively has late May loaded but I highly doubt it. AA won't be any time soon, probably Sept/Oct at the earliest.

BigPlaneGuy13

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans for AS to move into T4N now that they are a part of OneWorld? Perhaps it isn't necessary because AA still uses its own metal for PDX and SEA ops which are largely where AS flies via PHX.

Would it make sense for AA to give more frequencies to AS to those two cities from Phoenix? Not sure on the finer details such as load factors and such. Thanks!

MaxTrimm

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any plans for AS to move into T4N now that they are a part of OneWorld? Perhaps it isn't necessary because AA still uses its own metal for PDX and SEA ops which are largely where AS flies via PHX.

Would it make sense for AA to give more frequencies to AS to those two cities from Phoenix? Not sure on the finer details such as load factors and such. Thanks!

Not sure on the details, but AS is dumping a ton of seats into Phoenix this Spring. PDX has more daily seats April 2021 vs. April 2019.

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

I have no facts, but wonder with WN's new D gate addition, would there be room for AS to slide over to the high C gates? Although it's nice using the new T3N, moving to T4 would provide seamless OW connections (dreaming of JAL... someday!).

jplatts

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

Most of the travelers who need to connect between an AS flight onto an AA flight (or vice versa) can do so at SEA, DFW, or ORD where you can go between the AA gates and AS gates without having to re-clear security. Many of the travelers originating in SEA or PDX who can fly nonstop to their destination on AS would also prefer an AS nonstop flight over connecting onto an AA flight. Those who need to connect from SEA or PDX onto an AA flight out of PHX to a destination in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Mexico that isn't served by AS can also fly to PHX on AA.

The main reason for AS to move over to Terminal 4 would be for connections from AS flights onto AA flights out of PHX to destinations in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico that aren't served by AS.

alasizon

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

There is no room in T4N for AS to move into.

AntonioMartin

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
Being a OneWorld hub, it would more likely be JAL & Qatar.

I can dream...:)

it will happen some day.

LOL (I hope so..)

wnflyguy

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:19 am

425480 wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

I have no facts, but wonder with WN's new D gate addition, would there be room for AS to slide over to the high C gates? Although it's nice using the new T3N, moving to T4 would provide seamless OW connections (dreaming of JAL... someday!).

WN is not giving up any gate at PHX anymore.
The landscape of the covid Pandemic now has WN focusing more on connections with a increase in travel banks at key airports like PHX.

Flyguy

chrisair

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 am

Looks like AA is flying a 777 on PHX-OGG and PHX-HNL this summer.

MaxTrimm wrote:
Not sure on the details, but AS is dumping a ton of seats into Phoenix this Spring. PDX has more daily seats April 2021 vs. April 2019.

PHX-PDX in April 2021 vs April 2019 isn’t a huge increase. Three flights vs two flights in 2019, with two of them on E175s, so probably about the same seats.

A few weeks ago there were five or six flights to PDX. Very, very strange. Loved having options for once.

SEA/PAE has a fantastic schedule. Almost hourly departures.

910A

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 pm

New daily service from Gateway will be Avelo flying to Burbank beginning 6/2. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 64717.html

travaz

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:11 pm

Where in the Heck did they come from? I hadn't heard a word about this airline.

dutchspotter1

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:01 pm

It's the old Xtra Airways if I'm not mistaken.

Elementalism

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Whatever happened to them essentially banning uber and lyft and requiring them to be off property for pickups? Been over a year since flying to Phoenix for work.

alasizon

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Whatever happened to them essentially banning uber and lyft and requiring them to be off property for pickups? Been over a year since flying to Phoenix for work.

The city never banned them, they just included the same $4 fee that taxi rides, etc. are subject to. Uber and Lyft both threatened to leave but never did.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos