Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tjwgrr

Re: The Rest of Michigan Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:08 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
Does GRR have an FIS on-site, or has one been planned?

Soon- it's under construction.

NoahV37

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:01 am

I decided to do some calculations for TVC in May. These are only for flights arriving in TVC.

Format- Flights... Passengers... Load Factor

AA:
DFW- 26... 1,430... 72%
ORD- 111... 5,043... 80%

G4:
AZA- 9... 798... 49%
PGD- 7... 872... 67%
SFB- 2... 235... 75%
PIE- 9... 1,105... 66%

DL: (Thanks for correcting me BTW)
ATL- 4... 99... 23%
DTW-152... 6,244... 59%
LGA- 27... 596... 31%
MSP- 36... 1,115... 41%

UA:
IAD- 24... 441... 37%
ORD- 121... 3,444... 55%

umichman

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:21 am

SkyVoice wrote:
NoahV37, I believe that you meant DL (Delta) instead of DE (Condor) in your GRR post. But, let me congratulate you for the work that you put in to tabulate those results. And, I honestly believe that Condor has a viable business opportunity in Grand Rapids & West Michigan, post-CoVid. Does GRR have an FIS on-site, or has one been planned?

And Southwest should be WN, not SW.

jplatts

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 am

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of GRR in June 2021:
BWI-GRR - 5925 passengers, 7468 seats, 79.34% load factor
DEN-GRR - 8769 passengers, 10840 seats, 80.89% load factor
GRR-MCO - 4797 passengers, 8247 seats, 58.17% load factor
GRR-MDW - 15643 passengers, 21763 seats, 71.88% load factor
GRR-RSW - 1417 passengers, 3321 seats, 42.67% load factor
GRR-SRQ - 304 passengers, 1065 seats, 28.54% load factor
GRR-TPA - 1119 passengers, 2463 seats, 45.43% load factor

WN carried more passengers out of GRR in June 2021 than in June 2019, and WN also carried more passengers on GRR-MDW/DEN in June 2021 than it did in June 2019.

ORDLHR787

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:30 am

Is Project Elevate moving forward at GRR or did COVID put it back on the shelf?

NoahV37

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:13 pm

GRR-PHX restart was pushed back from November 1 to November 14. It operates for 6 days in November and then starts again in the middle of December. It also looks like WN will not be resuming SRQ flights as it is not listed on their website or anywhere in their schedule.

jplatts

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 pm

NoahV37 wrote:
It also looks like WN will not be resuming SRQ flights as it is not listed on their website or anywhere in their schedule.

I can understand WN completely dropping GRR-SRQ nonstop flights as WN only had an average load factor of 28.54% load factor on GRR-SRQ in June 2021, which was significantly weaker than most of the other WN nonstop routes in June 2021 (not only on WN nonstop routes out of SRQ but across all of the nonstop routes that WN was operating in June 2021).

WN also still offers connections to SRQ from GRR through MDW, and WN can likely cover any demand that is still there between GRR and SRQ on connecting flights through MDW.

There are also other options to SRQ from GRR, including less-than-daily G4 nonstop flights to SRQ from GRR and 1-stop connecting options to SRQ from GRR on AA (through ORD/CLT), DL (through ATL/DTW), and UA (through ORD).

rampantfox

Re: Allegiant in GRR

Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:39 am

tjwgrr wrote:
I was having a conversation with someone over the weekend about Allegiant in GRR. I looked at all the cities they now serve from GRR, and it's quite impressive, albeit some are seasonal, and many are only 2x per week:

AUS
BOS
VPS
FLL (seasonal)
LAS
LAX
BNA
EWR
SFB
AZA
PDX (seasonal)
PGD
RAP (2 weeks in August)
SRQ
SAV
PIE

It appears there are three A320s based here at the present time. I have seen as many as four RON in the past.

G4 now has 4 320s based in GRR, N250NV(sharklets), N271NV(Winter the dolphin), N273NV, N274NV.

1 aircraft has been flying sports charters on Saturday’s when their schedule is light.

N415XJ

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Was randomly looking at flights at MQT today on flightaware, and was surprised to see a Breeze E190, N126BZ as MQX6402 flew yesterway from Houghton (CMX) to Marquette. Looking on FR24 it seems to have come from South Bend. It still appears to be in Marquette. Does anyone know the reason for this flight? Does it maybe have something to do with Eagle's Embraer Mx facilities in MQT? If so why would it have stopped at CMX? Here's hoping this is some sort of harbinger of potential Breeze service to the UP.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY ... /KCMX/KSAW

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n126bz

drdisque

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm

N415XJ wrote:
Was randomly looking at flights at MQT today on flightaware, and was surprised to see a Breeze E190, N126BZ as MQX6402 flew yesterway from Houghton (CMX) to Marquette. Looking on FR24 it seems to have come from South Bend. It still appears to be in Marquette. Does anyone know the reason for this flight? Does it maybe have something to do with Eagle's Embraer Mx facilities in MQT? If so why would it have stopped at CMX? Here's hoping this is some sort of harbinger of potential Breeze service to the UP.

Notre Dame Men's Hockey to play Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan.

https://und.com/sports/mhockey/schedule/

jplatts

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of GRR in July 2021:
BWI-GRR - 6150 passengers, 7293 seats, 84.33% load factor
DEN-GRR - 15615 passengers, 16814 seats, 92.87% load factor
GRR-MCO - 5811 passengers, 9026 seats, 64.38% load factor
GRR-MDW - 20330 passengers, 25048 seats, 81.16% load factor
GRR-RSW - 1007 passengers, 2574 seats, 39.12% load factor
GRR-SRQ - 357 passengers, 1590 seats, 22.45% load factor
GRR-TPA - 1577 passengers, 2574 seats, 61.27% load factor

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:59 pm

drdisque wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Although this was a charter, I could see Breeze starting service to Marquette someday. I think either Lansing or Kalamazoo would also do good for Breeze

Clipper73

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:19 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
drdisque wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Although this was a charter, I could see Breeze starting service to Marquette someday. I think either Lansing or Kalamazoo would also do good for Breeze

I can see them on FNT-TPA.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Clipper73 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Maybe. but the issue with Flint and especially GRR is that they would be competing directly with Allegiant on flights to Tampa. Kalamazoo and Lansing are both cities that don’t have Allegiant and could entice travelers a to make the drive to LAN or AZO, instead of the other was around :lol:

rampantfox

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:33 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Maybe. but the issue with Flint and especially GRR is that they would be competing directly with Allegiant on flights to Tampa. Kalamazoo and Lansing are both cities that don’t have Allegiant and could entice travelers a to make the drive to LAN or AZO, instead of the other was around :lol:

The problem is that folks from around Grand Rapids will not drive to LAN or AZO to make flights. Allegiant found this out when they originally pulled out of GRR and tried to make LAN work. Their numbers plummeted and so they came back.

jplatts

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:03 am

WN adding BNA-GRR nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) demand for WN service out of GRR being stronger in July 2021 than in July 2019,
(b) GRR being one of the top destinations traveled to from BNA that isn't currently served nonstop from BNA on WN,
(c) WN having reduced GRR-MCO/RSW/TPA nonstop service to Saturday-only,
(d) WN still down to 2x daily on GRR-MDW (compared to 3x daily that WN was operating on GRR-MDW prior to the COVID-19 pandemic), and
(e) connecting opportunities available through BNA to some other destinations in the South such as ATL, AUS, CHS, DAL, VPS, FLL, HOU, IAH, JAX, MIA, MYR, MSY, ECP, PNS, SAT, and SAV.

WN can likely make GRR-BNA nonstop service work with the connecting traffic that WN would have to some other destinations in the South if GRR-BNA nonstop service is added by WN.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:25 am

United has announced the intentions to end service to both Kalamazoo and Lansing on Jan.3. That sucks, they just began AZO back in 2016, and restated post pandemic in June.

The flight usually went out at least 80% full twice a day. With that gone I wonder which airline will fill in with service at AZO and LAN (ie which current airline will increase service)

jplatts

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:30 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
United has announced the intentions to end service to both Kalamazoo and Lansing on Jan.3. That sucks, they just began AZO back in 2016, and restated post pandemic in June.

The flight usually went out at least 80% full twice a day. With that gone I wonder which airline will fill in with service at AZO and LAN (ie which current airline will increase service)

AA adding nonstop service to CLT and DFW from AZO and LAN are possibilities with the additional connecting opportunities that would be there at AA's CLT and DFW hubs.

DL re-adding LAN-MSP nonstop service and adding ATL-AZO/LAN nonstop service are also possibilities in order to fill in the void left behind by UA pulling out of AZO and LAN. DL also already serves ATL nonstop from most of its Midwestern destinations south of the MSP hub.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

AA adding nonstop service to CLT and DFW from AZO and LAN are possibilities with the additional connecting opportunities that would be there at AA's CLT and DFW hubs.

DL re-adding LAN-MSP nonstop service and adding ATL-AZO/LAN nonstop service are also possibilities in order to fill in the void left behind by UA pulling out of AZO and LAN. DL also already serves ATL nonstop from most of its Midwestern destinations south of the MSP hub.

American got the grant money to begin AZO-CLT so it’s only a matter of time for that, and once that starts I’m thinking DL might retaliate with AZO-ATL. I also have a feeling that DL might bring AZO/LAN-MSP back now that UA is leaving.

I certainly don’t see DFW nonstop in LAN or AZO near future, seems like a bit of a stretch, especially for AZO

Clipper73

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:48 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I think Allegiant's success in GRR and FNT has a lot to do with this, A short drive from AZO and LAN a good fare and a nonstop flight on a big plane to where they want to go has kind of hurt LAN and AZO. The thing that I don't get is LAN being a huge college town why Allegiant's service didn't catch on there.

tys777

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Clipper73 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I think Allegiant's success in GRR and FNT has a lot to do with this, A short drive from AZO and LAN a good fare and a nonstop flight on a big plane to where they want to go has kind of hurt LAN and AZO. The thing that I don't get is LAN being a huge college town why Allegiant's service didn't catch on there.

College kids only travel a few times a year, still need to fill the plane during those other times.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:41 pm

tys777 wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

College kids only travel a few times a year, still need to fill the plane during those other times.

That is true, but you’d be surprised how full the planes get out of both of those cities. LAN is the capital of Michigan, and AZO has Stryker, Kellogg cereal, Pfizer, and a bunch of other big companies. I talked with someone at Delta in AZO, they said that just before the pandemic they had 8 daily flights just on Delta (6DTW 2MSP) and would go out pretty much full most of the time.

tys777

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:40 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
tys777 wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:

That is true, but you’d be surprised how full the planes get out of both of those cities. LAN is the capital of Michigan, and AZO has Stryker, Kellogg cereal, Pfizer, and a bunch of other big companies. I talked with someone at Delta in AZO, they said that just before the pandemic they had 8 daily flights just on Delta (6DTW 2MSP) and would go out pretty much full most of the time.

I dont disagree at all. Was just pointing out that a large university does not equal consistent travel demand.

rampantfox

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Also, the population of Kent, Ottawa and parts of Ionia and Allegan Counties will not use an airport other than Grand Rapids. They don’t want to make the drive to Lansing or Kalamazoo so if they can’t get where they want to go from GRR they won’t go.

A lot of that, on the south side, stems from a lack of a direct drive. This is prior to M-6 being built. If you lived south of GR and wanted to go to Lansing you had to either take country roads to get to I-96 or take 131 through downtown and meet up with 196. Both were a major hassle. That mindset has stuck even after all the interstate updates. People from around Grand Rapids refuse to drive the hour to either Lansing ir Kalamazoo. But people from Lansing and Kalamazoo will drive to Grand Rapids.

kavok

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I would guess that a DL flight (or DL connection flight) to ATL would actually be more successful from AZO/LAN than restoring the MSP connection. If you look at the PDEW from AZO/LAN to destinations not served by DL from DTW, there are far more one-stops (and PDEW) offered by DL from ATL then from MSP. Further, the stage length to ATL is not that much farther than MSP.

As DL moves away from the CR2s and to the CR7/CR9/etc, with the larger RJs I could see LAN/AZO/MBS moving to 3x/4x to DTW on the bigger regionals, and a daily flight to ATL. An ATL flight would also market well to some of the wealthier snowbirds, who spend winters near a smaller southern airport not served nonstop from either DTW or MSP.

kavok

Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 pm

G4 formally announces Flint (FNT) base.

https://www.wlns.com/news/michigan/whit ... t-airport/

FNT will house 3x A320 aircraft and G4 will expand operations.

CALMSP

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
tys777 wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:

except all those companies won't be buying tickets on Allegiant.

as for DL in AZO, its been like that for 20 years from the NW days.

drdisque

Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:23 am

kavok wrote:
G4 formally announces Flint (FNT) base.

https://www.wlns.com/news/michigan/whit ... t-airport/

FNT will house 3x A320 aircraft and G4 will expand operations.

That's great news and makes it much easier for G4 to add flights from FNT to non-bases

tjwgrr

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:32 pm

GRR physical updates to pass along:

The delayed construction project to expand concourse A has begun, part of Project Elevate.

Also part of Project Elevate, the terminal addition housing the FIS facility is complete. Construction on the sterile corridor along concourse B has not begun yet.

Avflight began constructing a second hangar on the north side of their existing facility.

Steel beams and framework are going up at the site of the new GRR operations center located to the south of Avflight.

Two new hangars on the west side of the airport are nearing completion. The larger of the two will house aircraft belonging to a locally owned super center chain.

9w748capt

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:49 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
jplatts wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

American got the grant money to begin AZO-CLT so it’s only a matter of time for that, and once that starts I’m thinking DL might retaliate with AZO-ATL. I also have a feeling that DL might bring AZO/LAN-MSP back now that UA is leaving.

I certainly don’t see DFW nonstop in LAN or AZO near future, seems like a bit of a stretch, especially for AZO

Did not know that AA got a grant to start AZO-CLT! That is interesting indeed. Would love DFW-AZO - surely a daily CR7 would work?

Really wish DL would resume AZO-MSP. Have spent all year pondering status matching to UA or DL but with UA pulling out of my hometown and DL seeming quite content with their limited service to OKC and AZO ... I guess I'm stuck with Dougie Air for now.

jplatts

Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of GRR in August 2021:
BWI-GRR - 6221 passengers, 7722 seats, 80.56% load factor
DEN-GRR - 9926 passengers, 10919 seats, 90.91% load factor
GRR-MCO - 6129 passengers, 8962 seats, 68.39% load factor
GRR-MDW - 19790 passengers, 23746 seats, 83.34% load factor
GRR-RSW - 941 passengers, 2574 seats, 36.56% load factor
GRR-SRQ - 292 passengers, 1097 seats, 26.62% load factor
GRR-TPA - 1254 passengers, 2574 seats, 48.72% load factor

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:24 pm

9w748capt wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Did not know that AA got a grant to start AZO-CLT! That is interesting indeed. Would love DFW-AZO - surely a daily CR7 would work?

Really wish DL would resume AZO-MSP. Have spent all year pondering status matching to UA or DL but with UA pulling out of my hometown and DL seeming quite content with their limited service to OKC and AZO ... I guess I'm stuck with Dougie Air for now.

I have a feeling that the MSP route will come back for AZO at some point especially with UA leaving and now having at least 50 less seats westbound. Although the folks in the area are pushing more for ATL, especially with AA getting the grant for CLT. Once AA begins CLT from AZO I have a feeling Delta will pull the trigger on ATL service.

kavok

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:52 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I have a feeling that the MSP route will come back for AZO at some point especially with UA leaving and now having at least 50 less seats westbound. Although the folks in the area are pushing more for ATL, especially with AA getting the grant for CLT. Once AA begins CLT from AZO I have a feeling Delta will pull the trigger on ATL service.

AZO-MSP did briefly operate, albeit only 3x/4x weekly, in summer 2021. So it did come back, and yet it was dropped again.

To each their own, but if flying to/from AZO I still tend to prefer the DTW connection over MSP even if coming from or going to the west. Yes, for example PDX-DTW-AZO involves a bit of backtracking, but DTW-AZO having the 3x/4x daily service means backup routings and schedule flexibility. I have been burnt before by IRROPs, resulting in a XXX-MSP-DTW-AZO reroute and an overnight somewhere, and arriving 12+ hours late. At least if stuck in DTW and can’t fly to AZO, I can usually find a ground transportation option to get me there.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 am

kavok wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

AZO-MSP did briefly operate, albeit only 3x/4x weekly, in summer 2021. So it did come back, and yet it was dropped again.

To each their own, but if flying to/from AZO I still tend to prefer the DTW connection over MSP even if coming from or going to the west. Yes, for example PDX-DTW-AZO involves a bit of backtracking, but DTW-AZO having the 3x/4x daily service means backup routings and schedule flexibility. I have been burnt before by IRROPs, resulting in a XXX-MSP-DTW-AZO reroute and an overnight somewhere, and arriving 12+ hours late. At least if stuck in DTW and can’t fly to AZO, I can usually find a ground transportation option to get me there.

Yep, that is true. Plus I believe ATL has more destinations only served from ATL than MSP does. And not only that, but this part of Michigan also has a lot of people going just to Atlanta and I’m sure that flight would be full almost every single time

NoahV37

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Here's a bunch of stats for GRR (July 2021 Outbound flights)

Flights:
1. AA-511
2. DL-401
3. UA-319
4. WN-319
5. G4-192
6. F9-33

Passengers:
1. DL-35,817
2. AA-32,202
3. G4-28,978
4. WN-25,596
5. UA-23,870
6. F9-4,869

Average Load Factors:
1. UA-89%
2. AA-88%
3. G4-81%
4. DL-80%
5. F9-79%
6. WN-66%

Top destination by flights:
1. UA- ORD- 183
2. AA- ORD- 181
3. DL- DTW- 159
4. DL- MSP- 118
5. DL- ATL- 110

Top destination by passengers:
1. DL- ATL- 14,899
2. DL- DTW- 12,739
3. UA- ORD- 11,773
4. WN- MDW- 9,942
5. AA- ORD- 8,677

Highest Load Factors:
1. WN- DEN- 96%
2. UA- IAD- 94%
3. G4- AZA- 93%
4. G4- LAX- 92%
5. AA- DFW- 92%

Lowest Load Factors:
1. WN- SRQ- 28%
2. G4- VPS- 40%
3. WN- RSW- 41%
4. WN- MCO- 59%
5. Tied with 69%- WN-TPA and G4-SAV

NoahV37

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Allegiant has loaded their summer schedule. A couple interesting things.
GRR:
EWR is back in May.
SFB is 8 weekly flights with 2 flights on Friday.
JAX flights stop in May.
SAV has 1 weekly flight.
No VPS this summer.
MSY still isn't back.
No RAP in the schedule

FNT:
PGD is 5x weekly.

TVC:
PGD is 3x weekly this winter.
No SFB this summer.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm

NoahV37 wrote:
GRR:
EWR is back in May.
JAX flights stop in May.
SAV has 1 weekly flight.
No VPS this summer.
MSY still isn't back.
No RAP in the schedule

FNT:
PGD is 5x weekly.

TVC:
No SFB this summer.

Regarding GRR.

EWR, how were the loads last year? I didn’t think they were good enough to bring this route back.
SFB. Wow, very rarely do you see more than daily flights on Allegiant unless it’s between two very large cities.
JAX, I think that may have been winter seasonal anyways
SAV. Surprised they didn’t at least have 2 weekly
VPS. Same as JAX, pretty sure it’s for the winter and fall only
MSY. That hasn’t actually happened since before the pandemic, don’t know why the carrier even bothers keeping it on the route map
RAP. That was for the sturgis motorcycle fest, so if it does come back at all it will probably be 4x in August and that’s it

Clipper73

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:06 pm

NoahV37 wrote:
GRR:
EWR is back in May.
JAX flights stop in May.
SAV has 1 weekly flight.
No VPS this summer.
MSY still isn't back.
No RAP in the schedule

FNT:
PGD is 5x weekly.

TVC:
No SFB this summer.

According to Allegiant this schedule is only thru Schedule extended through May 16th, 2022..so we don't have the full summer yet correct.

freakyrat

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:13 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
drdisque wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Notre Dame Mens Hockey has been using Breeze for a group of their charter flights this season. They also flew from SBN-MSP and back with Breeze.

Clipper73

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 pm

Cherry Capitol Airport (TVC) is expanding to meet grow demand at the airport.

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/tra ... JZYB585r1M

SyracuseAvGeek

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 pm

Clipper73 wrote:

It’s cool in theory, but theoretically it won’t happen for an airport that can only support DTW and ORD for the winter months. Like I said, I would love to see it happen but I don’t know if it will.

They do need a couple more gates in the summer months, but multiple terminals doesn’t seem likely.

umichman

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:07 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

AZO-MSP had been scheduled to return in March, but they pulled it from the schedule a week ago. DL did bump frequencies on AZO-DTW from 3x daily to 4x after UA announced pull-out. LAN-DTW also got a bump from 3x to 4x, but LAN-MSP, which had been scheduled for April return, was also pulled from schedule.

umichman

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:18 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:

It’s cool in theory, but theoretically it won’t happen for an airport that can only support DTW and ORD for the winter months. Like I said, I would love to see it happen but I don’t know if it will.

They do need a couple more gates in the summer months, but multiple terminals doesn’t seem likely.

It will indeed likely be awhile before extra gates are needed. AA just reduced summer schedule to TVC a couple weeks ago -- CLT-TVC was reduced from 1x daily to Saturday-only and LGA-TVC was completely dropped (had been scheduled as 1x daily). AA is running as few as 1x flights a day on ORD-TVC on midweek days through Feb. Route is supposed to go 5x daily in March, but that schedule likely won't stick.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:54 am

So basically TVC is going ahead with master planning and engaging engineering firms to develop master plans for terminal expansion.
It doesn't mean its a done deal, but its part of the FAA planning process that sets the groundwork for securing future funding for expansion activities.

The reality is a 15-gates is well beyond any short to medium term needs. Its good to set aside the plans for master planning for land usage and setting the framework for how they would expand. TVC really at best needs 2-3 more gates during peak summer but more than ample space outside of a 10-12 week period.

While yes TVC is going to see growth in passenger numbers, the reality is that a lot of that growth is going to be accommodated through upgauging and not necessarily more flights. More passengers has implications on certain areas like parking and TSA screening/throughput, not necessarily on gate space.
TVC is looking at more 76 seaters instead of 50 seaters, and more mainline metal than 76 seaters during peak season.

Some of the stuff AA threw into TVC last summer was pretty much pandemic dartboard flying that they tried when business traffic was down and thinking/hoping there was going to be more leisure traffic in certain markets. I am not surprised to see that some of the hub overflying routes like CLT is being reduced, and I'll be shocked in DCA, PHL, BOS return next summer as well.

KarlB737

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Clipper73 wrote:

The same website ran a similar story in February of 2020. In other words we've seen this movie before in this article:

Courtesy: Traverse Ticker

Reaching Its Capacity, Cherry Capital Airport Eyes Expansion --- February 3, 2020

"Traverse City’s Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) is in the very early stages of what is likely to become a significant expansion of its terminal — bringing more gates, passenger waiting areas, parking and amenities. Record traffic numbers have caused the airport to surpass its recommended capacity at times, prompting airport officials to begin the lengthy process of justifying, funding, designing, and constructing an expansion that would be complete in 2026 or 2027."

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/reaching-its-capacity-cherry-capital-airport-eyes-expansion/

DaveMetroD

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 pm

I wonder if they're using the same consultants that want a Traverse City to Ann Arbor passenger train started.
Like the airport proposal, it too has popped up again.

flymco753

Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Factor in what Allegiant can do with TVC and the extra gate space may be needed. It appears as if they're making it so that they close off the additional concourse during the slow months.

9w748capt

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:33 am

Does TVC have enough rental cars to meet peak season demand? I guess nowhere has enough rental cars these days, but sheesh.

9w748capt

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 am

Does TVC have enough rental cars to meet peak season demand? I guess nowhere has enough rental cars these days, but sheesh.

WA707atMSP

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:57 pm

It's not widely remembered that ORD-LAN did play a (small) part in UA's history.

UA's first revenue 737 flight, in April, 1968, was ORD-GRR-LAN.

Normally, when airlines put a new aircraft type into service, they use it to link two of their major cities, and it's a little surprising that UA chose this route as their first 737 route, instead of a more prominent route in their network like ORD-DEN or ORD-CLE.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos