Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PA727

Re: Austin (Texas) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:47 pm

XRadar98 wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Not to nitpick but SAT is actually 2nd largest at 505 square miles, while Houston is tops at 669 square miles. Austin is a lowly #6 at 272 square miles. What I found interesting is that CRP is number 3! Dallas and then Ft Worth follow, before Austin at #6 and El Paso at #7.

I would imagine the poster you quoted was referring to population, though it's also incorrect that SAT is the largest city in that sense. Houston has ~800,000 more people than San Antonio. Of course, metro area is what we should really look at for airport service, in which case San Antonio drops to number 3, with DFW leading the way at 7.5M and Houston close behind at 7.1M. San Antonio falls at 2.6M, just a bit ahead of the purpose of this thread, which is Austin at 2.2M. In that light, namely, very similar populations, and given the tech industry offices in the AUS area it's not really surprising that AUS has more flights to more destinations than San Antonio.

To finish your quote… and a better more capable airport with better logistics and planning.

Can you help me understand how it is more capable. and has better logistics? From a passenger perspective, I can't think of another city where I can be from my car in the parking lot to the gate in less than 10 minutes. (Yes, I have pre-check and CLEAR.)

Now if you want to say Austin has a better experience, shopping and space options, I can agree with that for sure. But what I do love about SAT is its convenience and small town feel relative to the city size. Could definitely use wider concourses and better food options, but the convenience and access aren't problems as far as I can tell.

I like AUS better, I fly SAT easier.

khowaga

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Western727 wrote:
slowrambler wrote:
Although BA 190 is a 789 it looks like they're not selling First for now (seats show as blocked Club World). Also showing a change to the 351 on Feb 1 although this is presumably just a placeholder.

I thought they were restarting AUS with the 788, not the 789?

Press release says the 789. Interesting that they’ve blocked 1st, as having premiere seats in this market was one of the reasons they switched from the 788 in the first place.

jjbiv

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:42 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
I watched a steady stream of large cabin private jets into KEDC tonight and wondered what was up before realizing it was probably related to ACL. I checked Flightaware but only saw the normal GA traffic. I imagine those flights I saw were probably blocked from tracking. Is there another (free) tracking site that might show more movements?

Check out https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

jjbiv

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:47 pm

PA727 wrote:
XRadar98 wrote:
dfw88 wrote:

I would imagine the poster you quoted was referring to population, though it's also incorrect that SAT is the largest city in that sense. Houston has ~800,000 more people than San Antonio. Of course, metro area is what we should really look at for airport service, in which case San Antonio drops to number 3, with DFW leading the way at 7.5M and Houston close behind at 7.1M. San Antonio falls at 2.6M, just a bit ahead of the purpose of this thread, which is Austin at 2.2M. In that light, namely, very similar populations, and given the tech industry offices in the AUS area it's not really surprising that AUS has more flights to more destinations than San Antonio.

To finish your quote… and a better more capable airport with better logistics and planning.

Can you help me understand how it is more capable. and has better logistics? From a passenger perspective, I can't think of another city where I can be from my car in the parking lot to the gate in less than 10 minutes. (Yes, I have pre-check and CLEAR.)

Now if you want to say Austin has a better experience, shopping and space options, I can agree with that for sure. But what I do love about SAT is its convenience and small town feel relative to the city size. Could definitely use wider concourses and better food options, but the convenience and access aren't problems as far as I can tell.

Agreed. SAT is perfectly adequate for the market it serves and is very convenient to use. AUS is nice, too. We can all have our favorite airport without denigrating other airports. Having a nice airport isn't a zero-sum game where one airport must take something away from another.

The food options at SAT are in the process of being updated. Personally, I preferred the old options but at least we will have a Whataburger now! Unfortunately all of the eateries are ran by the same company which usually results in a mediocre customer experience (at best). It will be interesting to see how they do.

BangersAndMash

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:05 pm

khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:
slowrambler wrote:
Although BA 190 is a 789 it looks like they're not selling First for now (seats show as blocked Club World). Also showing a change to the 351 on Feb 1 although this is presumably just a placeholder.

Press release says the 789. Interesting that they’ve blocked 1st, as having premiere seats in this market was one of the reasons they switched from the 788 in the first place.

Some seats in premium classes will appear blocked unless you have status.

It would be very strange for BA not to sell these seats. Doesn't sound like BA. At all!

slowrambler

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:

It would be very strange for BA not to sell these seats. Doesn't sound like BA. At all!

It may very well be a case where you can select those seats if you have status, but you'll get the Club World soft product (I think it's fairly common for BA to do this). But in any case they're not selling those rows as First.

khowaga

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:27 pm

slowrambler wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
khowaga wrote:

It may very well be a case where you can select those seats if you have status, but you'll get the Club World soft product (I think it's fairly common for BA to do this). But in any case they're not selling those rows as First.

That makes sense. Asiana did that after they discontinued first but hadn’t refitted the planes yet.

XRadar98

Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:42 am

PA727 wrote:
XRadar98 wrote:
dfw88 wrote:

More capable…Longer runways enabling true intercontinental flights. Actual gates that can handle a widebody.
Better logistics… See above plus, a facility and roads that work. The footprint landslide at SAT is so space constrained, the roads are nonsensical (especially for the rare travelers). The signage is horrible too. Too late in your drive to make an informed lane choice. Or, next time you leave the airport look at the sign directing you to 410 West. It says middle lane, then when you realize you need to be in the right lane, you gotta stop and hold up traffic. How about dedicated airport entry and exits from the highways? No, not here. Back to what you said, narrow concourses, ugly old 80’s look (A terminal).
The city wants to be a destination, they want to be a “real” large city. In my book your airport defines your city. This airport says a lot about San Antonio. Sure, it’s convenient but that does not make it good.

There is more GA that flies in and out of there, than airlines. I can guarantee you that your ticket prices will always be higher at SAT than AUS partly because of that. I am willing to bet that airlines see they have to fly on average an extra 10 miles going slow every flight. I bet they will pass that on to the consumer. Nevermind, the extra danger inherently involved mixing a C172 with a student or not fluent in English pilot, with fast moving airliners. I think SAT will never be more than a secondary airport that will continue to watch AUS take business that could have potentially been theirs.

Western727

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:41 pm

[Lifted from another thread]

Midwestindy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
The forecast ahead is on the upswing:

- JP Morgan released a note to investors this week saying bookings were accelerating
- Deutsche Bank released a note to investors this week "saying bookings recently stabilized and starting to turn up"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/delta ... 2021-09-24

I'll post more detailed numbers tomorrow, but you can see a very clear trend reversal in the flight searches on a year over 2 year comparison from August to now (ignoring the Labor Day timing related blip).
https://www.kayak.com/flight-trends

Midwestindy wrote:
After all the hyperbole over the past few weeks that airlines were heading back to March 2020 levels, bookings and searches are growing again both in absolute terms and yo2y.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/repor ... page/BUtIB

Midwestindy wrote:

I'm telling you all, this thread is weeks ahead of the game. Just follow the data:

"UPDATE 1-Delta Air's ticket sales improve, reinstates initial Q3 revenue view"

"For Delta, they bottomed out in the later part of August and the first part of September," Chief Executive ED Bastian told reporters on the sidelines of a meeting of airlines group IATA. "Business traffic is growing back in the U.S."

"The company is also seeing a surge in demand for trans-Atlantic flights"

"Later, the airline said it would boost its capacity by more than 20% next summer over the 2019 peak by increasing service from Boston."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-delta- ... 27643.html

Kayak data:

Good article in the EU related surge in demand in late September:

London origin:

FRA origin:
https://www.3victors.com/blog/demand-an ... -eu-and-uk

Thanks to Midwestindy for this! Re the last two graphs, I thought it prudent to share here in the AUS thread. I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on the big interest in Austin among FRA-based travelers (290% jump) vs LON-based (181% jump). Any speculation or knowledge as to the why?

Brickell305

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Western727 wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
The forecast ahead is on the upswing:

- JP Morgan released a note to investors this week saying bookings were accelerating
- Deutsche Bank released a note to investors this week "saying bookings recently stabilized and starting to turn up"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/delta ... 2021-09-24

I'll post more detailed numbers tomorrow, but you can see a very clear trend reversal in the flight searches on a year over 2 year comparison from August to now (ignoring the Labor Day timing related blip).

Midwestindy wrote:
After all the hyperbole over the past few weeks that airlines were heading back to March 2020 levels, bookings and searches are growing again both in absolute terms and yo2y.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/repor ... page/BUtIB

Midwestindy wrote:

I'm telling you all, this thread is weeks ahead of the game. Just follow the data:

"For Delta, they bottomed out in the later part of August and the first part of September," Chief Executive ED Bastian told reporters on the sidelines of a meeting of airlines group IATA. "Business traffic is growing back in the U.S."

"Later, the airline said it would boost its capacity by more than 20% next summer over the 2019 peak by increasing service from Boston."

Kayak data:

London origin:

FRA origin:

Thanks to Midwestindy for this! Re the last two graphs, I thought it prudent to share here in the AUS thread. I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on the big interest in Austin among FRA-based travelers (290% jump) vs LON-based (181% jump). Any speculation or knowledge as to the why?

Without knowing the baseline on which both percentages are based, comparing them is fairly pointless. FRA might just have had a low baseline and a nominal increase led to a large relative increase. LON might have had a larger baseline and even a larger absolute increase but a smaller relative increase compared to its larger baseline.

malev2012

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:

Kayak data:

London origin:

FRA origin:

Without knowing the baseline on which both percentages are based, comparing them is fairly pointless. FRA might just have had a low baseline and a nominal increase led to a large relative increase. LON might have had a larger baseline and even a larger absolute increase but a smaller relative increase compared to its larger baseline.

Also GRK making top list from FRA is interesting. Wonder when LH restarts Austin, gotta be by SXSW if not earlier.

PA727

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:17 am

XRadar98 wrote:
PA727 wrote:
XRadar98 wrote:

More capable…Longer runways enabling true intercontinental flights. Actual gates that can handle a widebody.
Better logistics… See above plus, a facility and roads that work. The footprint landslide at SAT is so space constrained, the roads are nonsensical (especially for the rare travelers). The signage is horrible too. Too late in your drive to make an informed lane choice. Or, next time you leave the airport look at the sign directing you to 410 West. It says middle lane, then when you realize you need to be in the right lane, you gotta stop and hold up traffic. How about dedicated airport entry and exits from the highways? No, not here. Back to what you said, narrow concourses, ugly old 80’s look (A terminal).
The city wants to be a destination, they want to be a “real” large city. In my book your airport defines your city. This airport says a lot about San Antonio. Sure, it’s convenient but that does not make it good.

There is more GA that flies in and out of there, than airlines. I can guarantee you that your ticket prices will always be higher at SAT than AUS partly because of that. I am willing to bet that airlines see they have to fly on average an extra 10 miles going slow every flight. I bet they will pass that on to the consumer. Nevermind, the extra danger inherently involved mixing a C172 with a student or not fluent in English pilot, with fast moving airliners. I think SAT will never be more than a secondary airport that will continue to watch AUS take business that could have potentially been theirs.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more from a passenger standpoint, but understand where you're coming from otherwise. While I haven't had any problems with the access or roads - coming from 410, 281 or surface streets, it's totally subjective.

I don't think - or at least hope SAT is not - trying to compete with AUS. Markets, needs and metro are completely different. Lot more military and retirees in SAT. Function over flash. I always joke that I can tell when there's a flight to SAT based on the number of pre-boards in wheelchairs. I don't know what market leads the country in pre-boards, but SAT has to be close to the top.

One area you're spot on is the concourse. It could definitely stand to be modernized and widened 100%.

I personally put a premium on being able to leave my house an hour and fifteen minutes before my flight and be sitting at the gate less than 20 minutes later, but as I said, I very much like AUS from a passenger perspective. It's unique, attractive, friendly and also convenient.

Midwestindy

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:11 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:

Kayak data:

London origin:

FRA origin:

The baseline is color coded, (the darker the red, the higher the volume, the darker the blue, the least overall volume, and lighter shades of blue/red in between overall volume). That's about as good as you'll get, for a dataset like that. If you are looking for specific number of bookings for each route, you'll have to pay 1000s of dollars for that info.

Also matches up pretty well with what LH reported.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-09-28/

Western727

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

The baseline is color coded, (the darker the red, the higher the volume, the darker the blue, the least overall volume, and lighter shades of blue/red in between overall volume). That's about as good as you'll get, for a dataset like that. If you are looking for specific number of bookings for each route, you'll have to pay 1000s of dollars for that info.

Also matches up pretty well with what LH reported.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-09-28/

Thanks, Midwestindy. Thinking a bit about this just now, I wonder if the jump in FRA vs LON might be (and this is nothing more than speculation) the fairly-large German descent population that resides in nearby New Braunfels and the surrounding area. I say this because of comments about much of the jump being VFR traffic, and I can directly relate since my wife is from YVR; she flew there last week to check on her parents. And her parents are going to spend three weeks here in AUS for the winter holidays, about a week longer than they normally do. As someone lucky enough to have great in-laws, I'm clearly more excited about them coming than I have been in holiday seasons past. We've lost so much family time that we feel VERY compelled to gather in the coming months.

Wacko55

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:36 pm

Tesla moving their world headquarters to Austin. Should be good for a flight or two.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/07/tesla-m ... texas.html

malev2012

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:38 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Tesla moving their world headquarters to Austin. Should be good for a flight or two.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/07/tesla-m ... texas.html

At the very least we can support BA, LH and KL flights.

Runway765

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 am

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-announces-most-extensive-airport-improvement-program-central-texas-history

Looking at the expansion plans recently released, why are they delaying the new head terminal? They can “optimize” the BJT all they want, but the current check in and security at AUS is a mess with it being all over the place. AUS badly needs a consolidated check in/security/baggage claim facility.

Also, Concourse B will need more than 10 gates from the onset. It’ll need to be closer to 20-25 IMO.

Western727

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Runway765 wrote:
https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-announces-most-extensive-airport-improvement-program-central-texas-history

Looking at the expansion plans recently released, why are they delaying the new head terminal? They can “optimize” the BJT all they want, but the current check in and security at AUS is a mess with it being all over the place. AUS badly needs a consolidated check in/security/baggage claim facility.

Also, Concourse B will need more than 10 gates from the onset. It’ll need to be closer to 20-25 IMO.

I landed at AUS on AA 2 hours ago and was a bit surprised to find the terminal jam packed at a pre-pandemic level. Yes, it's the end of ACL weekend, but it was still quite telling. I took a peek at checkpoint 2 (the one near gate 20) and there was quite a line snaking out from it. So that makes me want to agree with your statement about the check-in and TSA bottleneck and the logic fallacy behind delaying the new head terminal.

I don't have enough insight to respond to your view on Concourse B, though, but I'm tempted to agree.

khowaga

Austin (Texas) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Western727 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

I landed at AUS on AA 2 hours ago and was a bit surprised to find the terminal jam packed at a pre-pandemic level. Yes, it's the end of ACL weekend, but it was still quite telling. I took a peek at checkpoint 2 (the one near gate 20) and there was quite a line snaking out from it. So that makes me want to agree with your statement about the check-in and TSA bottleneck and the logic fallacy behind delaying the new head terminal.

I don't have enough insight to respond to your view on Concourse B, though, but I'm tempted to agree.

If I recall correctly, part of the optimization involves opening a new security checkpoint. The plan is to put a roof over baggage claim and use the new floor space on departures to expand security and provide additional check in space.

I also have a very dim memory from right before the pandemic that one of their press released made reference to approval having been made for a west terminal infill, but no details.

Apparently the airport is being as transparent as mud about the process, so it’s hard to gauge what they’re thinking - if I had to guess, the focus right now is probably about how to make the current terminal workable since it will have to serve through the construction of the head terminal (which also needs to have architectural plans drawn up, budgets approved, etc., and we don’t know if any of that is going on in the background) so this is probably a “here’s what we can do right away” step.

That’s assuming they’re thinking logically. Then, of course, there’s the issue with Lonestar crying foul over the south terminal closure, so … who knows.

Wacko55

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 pm

At last! Speedbird returns to AUS.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW91C

malev2012

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
At last! Speedbird returns to AUS.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW91C

Great to see TATL return to AUS! Hopefully LH and KL touchdown in AUS soon as well!

pcs93

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Does anyone know why TUI was sending a 787 from Gatwick to Austin today? Saw this badboy from my window about 15 minutes ago:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/TOM8056

Longhornmaniac

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm

pcs93 wrote:
Does anyone know why TUI was sending a 787 from Gatwick to Austin today? Saw this badboy from my window about 15 minutes ago:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/TOM8056

Seems a little early for it but the only thing I can guess is some sort of vacation package charter that ends with the F1 race on the 24th?

t18c97

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:51 pm

It was nice to see BA191 back at ABIA, it received a water cannon salute on arrival.

Wacko55

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 pm

Pics of Speedbird arrival this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinAirport/ ... =3&theater

Western727

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Pics of Speedbird arrival this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinAirport/ ... =3&theater

I found myself slightly bummed that there were photos of the firetrucks but none of the actual water cannon. ;)

dfwjim1

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Western727 wrote:
Allegiant just added 7 new routes from AUS; source below. Destinations:

AMA
SDF
SNA
PVU (Provo, UT)
FSD
SGF (Springfield, MO)
TUL

Service starts on Nov. 18 with twice-weekly flights to each. Yes, it's "just" G4 with the usual token two flights per week, but I find some of these interesting, like PVU and FSD.

https://www.kvue.com/article/travel/austin-airport-allegiant-new-nonstop-flights/269-5c3ac11e-8f99-4a7a-a306-d8ebe14098bd.

So I guess G4 is seeing AUS as a leisure destination.

jplatts

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:09 am

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of AUS in July 2021:
ABQ-AUS - 8686 passengers, 9427 seats, 92.14% load factor
ATL-AUS - 15073 passengers, 17038 seats, 88.47% load factor
AUS-BNA - 29473 passengers, 34285 seats, 85.96% load factor
AUS-BUR - 7532 passengers, 8294 seats, 90.81% load factor
AUS-BWI - 21883 passengers, 24405 seats, 89.67% load factor
AUS-DAL - 38933 passengers, 51718 seats, 75.28% load factor
AUS-DCA - 9627 passengers, 10466 seats, 91.98% load factor
AUS-DEN - 43918 passengers, 51680 seats, 84.98% load factor
AUS-ECP - 7081 passengers, 9521 seats, 74.37% load factor
AUS-ELP - 8998 passengers, 9314 seats, 96.61% load factor
AUS-FLL - 17129 passengers, 19534 seats, 87.69% load factor
AUS-HOU - 35693 passengers, 42732 seats, 83.53% load factor
AUS-IND - 7344 passengers, 8140 seats, 90.22% load factor
AUS-LAS - 33778 passengers, 36660 seats, 92.14% load factor
AUS-LAX - 15788 passengers, 17134 seats, 92.14% load factor
AUS-LGB - 8062 passengers, 9122 seats, 88.38% load factor
AUS-MCI - 8855 passengers, 9314 seats, 95.07% load factor
AUS-MCO - 27337 passengers, 29435 seats, 92.87% load factor
AUS-MDW - 29475 passengers, 34212 seats, 86.15% load factor
AUS-MIA - 7862 passengers, 10402 seats, 75.58% load factor
AUS-MSP - 5960 passengers, 7150 seats, 83.36% load factor
AUS-MSY - 15218 passengers, 16863 seats, 90.24% load factor
AUS-OAK - 8702 passengers, 9122 seats, 95.40% load factor
AUS-ORD - 7039 passengers, 8866 seats, 79.39% load factor
AUS-PHX - 32478 passengers, 36325 seats, 89.41% load factor
AUS-PNS - 2279 passengers, 2606 seats, 87.45% load factor
AUS-RDU - 9037 passengers, 10114 seats, 89.35% load factor
AUS-SAN - 17329 passengers, 18559 seats, 93.37% load factor
AUS-SJC - 12860 passengers, 13736 seats, 93.62% load factor
AUS-SLC - 8395 passengers, 9041 seats, 92.85% load factor
AUS-SMF - 7993 passengers, 8413 seats, 95.01% load factor
AUS-SNA - 6954 passengers, 7436 seats, 93.52% load factor
AUS-STL - 9864 passengers, 10746 seats, 91.79% load factor
AUS-TPA - 17283 passengers, 19430 seats, 88.95% load factor
AUS-VPS - 1939 passengers, 2574 seats, 75.33% load factor

khowaga

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 pm

BA is operating two flights LHR-AUS today (Sunday; 191, as normally scheduled, and 9110, due in at 1926, both 789). And 191 is operating tomorrow (Monday), even though the resumption schedule was 3x week on Wed/Fri/Sun.

Are these extra flights for Formula 1 or have they already boosted the frequency?

Gregarious1

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:46 am

khowaga wrote:
BA is operating two flights LHR-AUS today (Sunday; 191, as normally scheduled, and 9110, due in at 1926, both 789). And 191 is operating tomorrow (Monday), even though the resumption schedule was 3x week on Wed/Fri/Sun.

Are these extra flights for Formula 1 or have they already boosted the frequency?

I don't know if it's for F1 or not. All I know is the airport has been insanely busy lately and we haven't even see all the additional flights from AAL, SWA and AAY still to come.

OKCDCA

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 am

Does anyone know how AA and WN are doing on AUS-OKC? I know it's still relatively new but just interested since it was a market that neither served n/s and now has a lot of capacity.

flyer737sw

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 am

khowaga wrote:

I believe it was a mechanical. Saw the jet returning to the gate when I left work this evening.

khowaga

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 am

flyer737sw wrote:
khowaga wrote:

I believe it was a mechanical. Saw the jet returning to the gate when I left work this evening.

FlightAware says 190 was completed (departed 1827, arrived 0947 BST); 9110 arrived 45 minutes later (same equipment, both docked at gate 1).

191 also operates today, tomorrow, and Wednesday (at least) - my guess is F1 unless BA decided to give a massive schedule boost a week after resumption!

CarlosSi

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Normally an 8000 or 9000 call sign is what you’d see charter flights have.

Or just a capacity booster flight in this case for F1, I guess. Not sure.

Western727

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 pm

I flew a 182 above AUS's controlled airspace yesterday (Sunday)...and boy, was it nice to see the parking lots at AUS bustling once again. Here's a photo one of my pax took: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=321 ... 2286452151

While we missed the BA birds, it was fun to watch the HA 330 (pictured at far right of above photo) take off. It used the 12,250' long 36L instead of the 9,000' long 36R for fairly obvious reasons, even though it meant a longer taxi. We watched it lift off roughly 500' before the end of the other runway (36R) so it used roughly 8,000' of runway. And I loved that its climb was...ehh. It was a great departure from the usual domestics.

WN732

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Western727 wrote:
I flew a 182 above AUS's controlled airspace yesterday (Sunday)...and boy, was it nice to see the parking lots at AUS bustling once again. Here's a photo one of my pax took: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=321 ... 2286452151

While we missed the BA birds, it was fun to watch the HA 330 (pictured at far right of above photo) take off. It used the 12,250' long 36L instead of the 9,000' long 36R for fairly obvious reasons, even though it meant a longer taxi. We watched it lift off roughly 500' before the end of the other runway (36R) so it used roughly 8,000' of runway. And I loved that its climb was...ehh. It was a great departure from the usual domestics.

You also caught the B6 BluePrint E190. Nice!

Western727

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 pm

WN732 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

You also caught the B6 BluePrint E190. Nice!

So that's what it was!! Thanks for the ID. I was thinking it was maybe a Disney-themed AS 737 but I was clearly focused on piloting and staying clear of the controlled airspace. Now that I look back on it, I realize I could've simply looked at its ADS-B info on my iPad after it took off! :hyper:

malev2012

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:01 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Does anyone know how AA and WN are doing on AUS-OKC? I know it's still relatively new but just interested since it was a market that neither served n/s and now has a lot of capacity.

No idea since they are brand new. TUL-AUS starts next month as well on both AA and G4. Along with the SAT-OKC/TUL from MX, that's a lot of Oklahoma capacity from the region.

LAX772LR

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:15 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Huh?? BA does that all the time.

LHR-MSY is a prime example. Was scheduled as a 788, but frequently opped as a 789 (sometimes entire weeks), wherein the First seats were just given to people who paid higher fares for Club World or in the CW cabin with high elite status. Saw that at BWI when it was a 788 as well.

malev2012

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Had a FRA-AUS flight in January canceled. I am guessing they make a return around SXSW along with KL.

Western727

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Had a FRA-AUS flight in January canceled. I am guessing they make a return around SXSW along with KL.

Not again. What's weird, though, is that KL doesn't start until just after SXSW. :confused:

BangersAndMash

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
khowaga wrote:

Huh?? BA does that all the time.

LHR-MSY is a prime example. Was scheduled as a 788, but frequently opped as a 789 (sometimes entire weeks), wherein the First seats were just given to people who paid higher fares for Club World or in the CW cabin with high elite status. Saw that at BWI when it was a 788 as well.

Not really. A few random aircraft substitutions don't make a trend.

BA will typically upgauge to an aircraft with first class if it thinks the market can support it, like happened at AUS and BNA pre-pandemic. It's to sell the seats, not gift them, not even to their most loyal customers.

LAX772LR

Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:27 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Hmm, funny... you appear to have misspelled "Oh, I didn't know that, thank you for correcting me."

Because they do it all the time, in plenty of markets, for a variety of reasons.
And have for years, and will do it for extended time frames.

Particularly with the 789s during the RR engine debacle, and now during Covid as well.

It's not something that happens every day, but it definitely "sounds like BA," as they're unafraid to alter the classification of the hard product if it means fitting the market or fitting their fleet rotation. That's not uncommon to them, or others (AF did that a lot when it had more F-equipped aircraft) at all.

BangersAndMash

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:01 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Hmm, funny... you appear to have misspelled "Oh, I didn't know that, thank you for correcting me."

Because they do it all the time, in plenty of markets, for a variety of reasons.
And have for years, and will do it for extended time frames.

Particularly with the 789s during the RR engine debacle, and now during Covid as well.

It's not something that happens every day, but it definitely "sounds like BA," as they're unafraid to alter the classification of the hard product if it means fitting the market or fitting their fleet rotation. That's not uncommon to them, or others (AF did that a lot when it had more F-equipped aircraft) at all.

Uhhh ... no.

One random swap of aircraft for operational reasons out of the hundreds BA flies every day is not "all the time". But if it makes you happy.

malev2012

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Western727

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 pm

malev2012 wrote:

The Delta variant sure seemed to spook AUS travelers in August.

malev2012

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Yea, really hopeful the boosters plus adolescent vaccinations will boost confidence.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Western727 wrote:

August/September always takes a dive for AUS, in line with IAH and most of the Gulf Coast/South Central airports as well.

BangersAndMash wrote:
One random swap

That's rather disingenuous, seeing as you KNOW that it's happened far more often than once, because you've already been provided above with multiple destinations and occurrences where it went on long term; for one the plurality of a schedule season.

BangersAndMash wrote:
But if it makes you happy.

Nah, find it rather sad when people can't deal in good faith, for the sake of being unable to take correction,

Particularly when on an issue that's not even all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Western727

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Western727 wrote:

August/September always takes a dive for AUS, in line with IAH and most of the Gulf Coast/South Central airports as well.

Sure, but last August took a bigger dive than in years past.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Western727 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Sure, but last August took a bigger dive than in years past.

Indeed, but seeing as the delta variant wasn't discovered until December 2020, and wasn't given the common name until May 2021; it can't be the cause of anything regarding passenger behavior in August 2020.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos