Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B595

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:17 am

mjgbtv wrote:
If you're referring to the Pit I think it's safe to say this will move along faster!

Lol, didn't realize that CityPlace had become such a debacle. Really, it pains me to see how far the Square Mall has fallen. I'm going to date myself by saying this, but back in the day it used to have a very good hobby shop that was one of our go-to places for model airplane kits and paints. If I needed "ocean slate gray" for the topside of my S-3 Viking, I had a good chance of finding it there.

B595

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
So amazing that the Vt ANG got those F-35s so early!
Must admit those Canadians (only 650 miles north) are pretty scary... ;-)

I get the humor, and the F-35 100% deserves to be the butt of a lot of jokes for its past and ongoing programmatic problems, but the F-35 in BTV, like the F-16/F-4 before it, has always been intended for Soviets/Russians (and I suppose now the Chinese) coming over the Pole. That's why for a time back in the F-16 days the Green Mt. Boys had the highest number of Soviet bomber intercepts of any active-duty or reserve USAF unit. It's the same reason that the Canadians have an F-18 unit stationed way up there at CFB Bagotville.

B595

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 am

BTV290 wrote:
I think budget and space was part of it--but it has completely deviated from the original function, which wasn't terrible. If you notice, before you enter the north pier, there's a glass wall with automatic doors (which are now permanently open). The concept with this area was originally to have the gate podiums (I believe one is still there) up by that glass wall. All passengers waited in the large open area, then during boarding, they'd get their boarding pass scanned at the glass wall, and then they'd peel off at their appropriate gate... Similar to concourse A in IAD, or defunct concourse E in SLC/C in CVG... However, in BTV, this was mixing and matching airlines and gave rise to ummm... Security concerns? So very quickly, the "row of gate doors" idea was abandoned, the doors were opened, and the podiums were moved down into the actual pier which is how it is today... And it was absolutely not built for that...

Ah, it makes sense now - it's being used in a way that's an abuse of its original intent. Sounds like the FAA might have moved the goal posts for what is acceptable re: security after the construction had been completed.

lat41

Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:13 pm

airlineworker wrote:
Build it and they will come, sounds nice but is not realistic. ORH built a nice new terminal that now rings hollow. MHT took a chance and for a while did fairly good, then Allegiant, Southwest, Spirit, JetBlue came to BOS and MHT's allure vanished.

Then Portland Maine PWM took a piece of the pie as well.

Cboyle

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:08 pm

MHT does have an announcement to make soon. I have been communicating with the airport

ChrisNH38

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Cboyle wrote:
MHT does have an announcement to make soon. I have been communicating with the airport

That's great to know. MHT really does have a wonderful infrastructure in place with full CAT III on (I believe) all four runways, and of course a beautiful terminal.

As for PWM, they have done a great job there, showing nothing but growth. My sisters and I share an oceanside home in Kennebunkport, so we will be using PWM more ourselves once we sell our NH home and move to the Charleston, SC area.

737tanker

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:27 pm

MHT only has CAT III on Runway 35

ChrisNH38

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:18 pm

737tanker wrote:
MHT only has CAT III on Runway 35

Yes...thanks for the clarification.

bomber996

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Cboyle wrote:

Just saw a Facebook post from MHT saying that AA's DCA service is returning 4x weekly starting April 1st. I bet this is the announcement.

:box:

Cboyle

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:57 pm

bomber996 wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

Just saw a Facebook post from MHT saying that AA's DCA service is returning 4x weekly starting April 1st. I bet this is the announcement.

:box:

I’ve asked for more so far...

LotsaRunway

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:26 pm

Isn't MHT also pursuing a vertiport. It's like a fancy taxi stand that can be a community hub for electric flying cars/taxis. I would expect to see more airports adding them on the top of parking garages or other large flat building roofs. They just have to steer clear of secure and flight path areas, which should be interesting to see.

airlineworker

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

That's great to know. MHT really does have a wonderful infrastructure in place with full CAT III on (I believe) all four runways, and of course a beautiful terminal.

As for PWM, they have done a great job there, showing nothing but growth. My sisters and I share an oceanside home in Kennebunkport, so we will be using PWM more ourselves once we sell our NH home and move to the Charleston, SC area.

Years back I moved from CT to Summerville,SC. Winters are nice, summers are like Florida, hot and sticky and the pollen runs yellow in the streets during the rain. I moved half way back to Virginia near the Blue Ridge mountains. Best place I have ever lived.

ChrisNH38

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:27 pm

airlineworker wrote:

Years back I moved from CT to Summerville,SC. Winters are nice, summers are like Florida, hot and sticky and the pollen runs yellow in the streets during the rain. I moved half way back to Virginia near the Blue Ridge mountains. Best place I have ever lived.

Summerville is where we will be! Specifically the new Nexton community right off 26!

Cboyle

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Folks I did contact MHT and they did confirm DCA was the announcement this week, but that they may have more announcements in the “coming weeks.”

RL757PVD

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Cboyle wrote:
Folks I did contact MHT and they did confirm DCA was the announcement this week, but that they may have more announcements in the “coming weeks.”

Anything more than 2 weeks out, is not confirmed... that's how it works hate to say it. Airports are rarely notified of something concrete more than a week in advance.

That said, i'm sure theres cause for optimism, just a matter of if its something new or a re-add.

For MHT i'd say the following is in the realm of possibility in the next year or so
Delta return, perhaps DTW only RJs
United return (IAD and maybe EWR)
ULCC to Florida (NK, F9 or new startup)
AA - NYC 2x RJs

Revelation

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:41 pm

tomaheath wrote:

Interesting:

He told the committee that new hangar will not interfere with the airport’s terminal, which currently has seven vacant gates. He added that expansion of the current terminal would not be needed until the airport reaches approximately 6 to 7 million passengers per year. Currently, the airport sees approximately 1.6 million passengers per year.

I'd say there's no need to worry about the need to grow the terminal for the foreseeable future.

The slides at the bottom of the article have some interesting graphics about the impact of the coronavirus.

Basically the airport is down 70% from normal and anticipates this staying the same through Q3. They're hoping that vaccinations allow for a recovery starting in Q4.

Overall they seem to have taken a "conservative" approach (i.e. opposite of the one political conservatives favored) and it seems to have been the correct approach.

They cut spending hard, and are keeping their heads above water due to federal grants.

The only thing I would have liked is some overview of the fiscal impact of the new cargo hangar relative to the airport's long term debt picture.

I doubt it is going to change the fortunes of the airport, but still, it'd be nice to see it in context.

Cboyle

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:08 pm

PSM has another poll over on FB
seems like B6 or 9K may be coming this time. last time they had a poll, they added G4 to BOTH BNA and PIE. what do you think?

We have another poll! Please respond with your preferences!
If Portsmouth International Airport could offer another direct route to a regional destination, where would you prefer from the following choices:
for ACK
for HYA
for MVY
for BID
for BHB

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:35 am

Cboyle wrote:
seems like B6 or 9K may be coming this time. last time they had a poll, they added G4 to BOTH BNA and PIE. what do you think?

If Portsmouth International Airport could offer another direct route to a regional destination, where would you prefer from the following choices:
for ACK
for HYA
for MVY
for BID
for BHB

I think the airlines won’t start a city based on an airports Facebook poll and all those cities from PSM would fail in short order. That’s what I think.

mjgbtv

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

for ACK
for HYA
for MVY
for BID
for BHB

I think the airlines won’t start a city based on an airports Facebook poll and all those cities from PSM would fail in short order. That’s what I think.

I agree completely, yet a poll may still be an indicator of where airlines might add a route. The airlines know what the demand is and the poll tends to validate where people are going. A few years ago BTV asked what cities people would like to see on their FB page and DEN was one of the top responses, and it happened.

That said, I would be very surprised to see B6 at PSM given how they are trying to build up BOS.

airbazar

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Anything more than 2 weeks out, is not confirmed... that's how it works hate to say it. Airports are rarely notified of something concrete more than a week in advance.

That said, i'm sure theres cause for optimism, just a matter of if its something new or a re-add.

For MHT i'd say the following is in the realm of possibility in the next year or so
Delta return, perhaps DTW only RJs
United return (IAD and maybe EWR)
ULCC to Florida (NK, F9 or new startup)
AA - NYC 2x RJs

I'd be happy with airlines just adding more connecting options out the existing flights that they have, let alone additional flights.
Just as an example, we went to Park City for Feb vacation and I searched for flights out of MHT as well as BOS as I always do. I was surprised that WN, the largest airline at MHT did not offer SLC out of MHT. This was very surprising to me because a) it was February school vacation and b) SLC is a major ski destination and a major city in its own right. That tells me the airline is trying to push customers to Boston as much as possible and that does not bode well for the future, IMO. It's one thing that they terminated all the Western routers out of MHT but to not even offer connections is just crazy.

bomber996

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:43 pm

airbazar wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
I'd be happy with airlines just adding more connecting options out the existing flights that they have, let alone additional flights.
Just as an example, we went to Park City for Feb vacation and I searched for flights out of MHT as well as BOS as I always do. I was surprised that WN, the largest airline at MHT did not offer SLC out of MHT. This was very surprising to me because a) it was February school vacation and b) SLC is a major ski destination and a major city in its own right. That tells me the airline is trying to push customers to Boston as much as possible and that does not bode well for the future, IMO. It's one thing that they terminated all the Western routers out of MHT but to not even offer connections is just crazy.

A lot of this seems to be the suspension of the MDW flight and the reductions of flights out of BWI. WN doesn't seem to want to push more than one connection so the routes available out of MHT are really limited to the current non-stop flights out of BWI. Until WN resumes more flights out of BWI or resumes the MHT-MDW flight, the available markets out of MHT are going to be limited at best.

Peace :box:

airlineworker

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 am

HVN master plan presentation https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... tation.pdf
Proposed 6635 feet for runway 2-20.

Revelation

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:10 pm

airlineworker wrote:
HVN master plan presentation https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... tation.pdf

Pretty expensive for an airport with very little service.

airlineworker

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Revelation wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

All due to the marginal runway.

Revelation

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:00 pm

airlineworker wrote:
Revelation wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

All due to the marginal runway.

All?

I think secondary airports have been on the decline since the airline mergers of the late 2000s reduced the need for majors to compete.

If anything, COVID19 and the 'new normal' for business travel have changed things for the worse.

I don't see how this project will ever have a positive return on investment, given the airport already needs subsidies to survive.

But hey, pax pay into the capital improvement fund, might as well start the dirt flying.

SCHATC422

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm

B6 just announced BDL-MIA starting June 24th, per the Miami International Airport Facebook page. Nice add for B6 out of BDL and their rapid expansion at BDL.

Release:https://news.miami-airport.com/jetblue-to-launch-daily-miami-hartford-service-in-june/?fbclid=IwAR1z9e4c4LfiyAd-HdFNfBqJTvhfiSZ9FFBKJmD-D09iNQbA3--0qcnTjoA

RL757PVD

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:29 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
B6 just announced BDL-MIA starting June 24th, per the Miami International Airport Facebook page. Nice add for B6 out of BDL and their rapid expansion at BDL.

Release:https://news.miami-airport.com/jetblue-to-launch-daily-miami-hartford-service-in-june/?fbclid=IwAR1z9e4c4LfiyAd-HdFNfBqJTvhfiSZ9FFBKJmD-D09iNQbA3--0qcnTjoA

That's an odd time to launch as it's the time of year when the tourism demand drops off a cliff and the weather gets disgusting. That said It it was inevitable as they fly to every other major Florida airport aside from JAX and SRQ.

For the June timeframe i would have normally said RDU would make more sense but business travel likely wont be back yet and there's no leisure on either end.

tphuang

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:39 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:

That's an odd time to launch as it's the time of year when the tourism demand drops off a cliff and the weather gets disgusting. That said It it was inevitable as they fly to every other major Florida airport aside from JAX and SRQ.

For the June timeframe i would have normally said RDU would make more sense but business travel likely wont be back yet and there's no leisure on either end.

I would imagine they probably have more planned. They are trying to have more of a Northeast strategy as a whole rather than just JFK/BOS. Looking at New England, I think PVD will also see more service. All of the Florida routes are still seeing at least 5x weekly services even after the cuts. So I think they must be doing reasonably well given the COVID challenges. PWM and BTV probably won't see more service. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to try MHT.

Cboyle

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 am

MHT may have an air service announcement this week (again) but I’m not sure... what do you think?

RL757PVD

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:57 am

WN added a bunch of PVD flights for April. I’m seeing a 5th BWI and some Saturdays with 7x MCO and 4x TPA

Ishrion

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:06 am

Cboyle wrote:
MHT may have an air service announcement this week (again) but I’m not sure... what do you think?

Where’d you hear that?

Are there any other currently suspended routes that could soon have a set resumption date? Similar to that AA resuming DCA-MHT air service announcement from a few weeks ago?

Cboyle

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:15 am

Ishrion wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

Where’d you hear that?

Are there any other currently suspended routes that could soon have a set resumption date? Similar to that AA resuming DCA-MHT air service announcement from a few weeks ago?

From the airport’s messenger page:
“We hope to announce soon!”

tomaheath

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 am

Cboyle wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

Where’d you hear that?

What messenger page?

Cboyle

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32 am

tomaheath wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Where’d you hear that?

What messenger page?

The MHT FB messenger

airbazar

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:47 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

I used to think that too but there really is no cliff. Traffic is pretty consistent throughout the year.
http://www.miami-airport.com/airport_stats.asp
Jan 2019, aprox. 4.2 million pax.
Jul 2019, aprox. 4 million pax.
Dec 2019, aprox 4.3 million pax.
Having been disappointed with S.Florida weather in April on 2 different occasions, I much prefer going there in the Summer. I had a great vacation in Ft. Lauderdale in July and I found the weather that time of the year incredibly nice because of the constant ocean breeze.

RL757PVD

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:44 pm

airbazar wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

I used to think that too but there really is no cliff. Traffic is pretty consistent throughout the year.
Having been disappointed with S.Florida weather in April on 2 different occasions, I much prefer going there in the Summer. I had a great vacation in Ft. Lauderdale in July and I found the weather that time of the year incredibly nice because of the constant ocean breeze.

Contrary to my user name, I actually live in south beach... there’s a normally a huge swing in activity throughout the year. The traffic at the airport itself might be more even, but the demographics and user profile change a lot... you can see it in the parking garages.

mjgbtv

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
airbazar wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Contrary to my user name, I actually live in south beach... there’s a normally a huge swing in activity throughout the year. The traffic at the airport itself might be more even, but the demographics and user profile change a lot... you can see it in the parking garages.

I suppose summer is more about Floridians heading somewhere cooler and dryer? Maybe there is still some decent cruise traffic from the Northeast, though?

PVD523

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:57 am

RL757PVD wrote:
WN added a bunch of PVD flights for April. I’m seeing a 5th BWI and some Saturdays with 7x MCO and 4x TPA

Appears the MAX is back in the schedule too, operating RSW and one of the TPA runs.

mjgbtv

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 pm

2020 SCASD applications are coming in. So far I see ones from HVN, MHT and ORH of the airports discussed here. MHT is looking for a ULCC, ORH is looking for B6 to resume Florida flights and HVN has several goals.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT- ... 1/document

ChrisNH38

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm

mjgbtv wrote:
2020 SCASD applications are coming in. So far I see ones from HVN, MHT and ORH of the airports discussed here. MHT is looking for a ULCC, ORH is looking for B6 to resume Florida flights and HVN has several goals.

I read through the document and it says:

The dramatic reduction in capacity at MHT over time has caused the Airport’s rates and charges to airlines to increase, leaving MHT
at a competitive disadvantage to other airports in the region, and causing MHT to be the only
airport in New England without low-cost or ultra-low-cost service.

What would they call Southwest?

joelliot

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:30 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:

The dramatic reduction in capacity at MHT over time has caused the Airport’s rates and charges to airlines to increase, leaving MHT
at a competitive disadvantage to other airports in the region, and causing MHT to be the only

I don’t consider Southwest to be a low coast carrier these days. ...they still try to hide the prices on their website, but if you comparison shop, they are often around the same price as the legacy 3, at least if you have free bags thru some perk. For low cost today, it’s the likes of Frontier, Spirit and others that have very tight pitch and charge you for things like printing boarding passes.

Cboyle

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:43 pm

mjgbtv wrote:

NK expressed their support in here

737Jason

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:09 pm

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0231-0042

Anyone think NK flies into MHT? They showed support.

Revelation

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:25 pm

joelliot wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:

I don’t consider Southwest to be a low coast carrier these days. ...they still try to hide the prices on their website, but if you comparison shop, they are often around the same price as the legacy 3, at least if you have free bags thru some perk. For low cost today, it’s the likes of Frontier, Spirit and others that have very tight pitch and charge you for things like printing boarding passes.

The problem with that is if the ULCC competes head-on with WN then WN might lose enough business to just toss in the towel, which IMO would be a very unfortunate outcome.

mjgbtv

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Revelation wrote:
joelliot wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

The problem with that is if the ULCC competes head-on with WN then WN might lose enough business to just toss in the towel, which IMO would be a very unfortunate outcome.

WN is the big dog at MHT though, right? It seems like they ought to be able to defend themselves, although that might not end up serving MHT's interests any better.

PVD523

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Revelation wrote:
joelliot wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

Good point. WN hasn't exactly been dedicating many resources to New England markets as of late anyway. Just look at the way B6 and F9 have taken over some some of the Florida markets from PVD, which were longtime WN strongholds. MHT is basically WN's at the moment. Shaking WN's tree might not go so well overall. Interesting catch 22.

I haven't put WN under the LCC umbrella for a while now. They're inching closer to the legacies but they're not there just yet. I put them in sort of a middle category, call it "value carrier" or whatever you want.

Lastly, it's nice to see NK support MHT's bid but I don't see them there. Someone else will have to take the leap and risk MHT's unfortunate cost structure. MHT dearly needs a win and I wish them luck. All the smaller New England airports do. Each plays a role in the region's transportation network and I'm hoping they'll each see better days ahead as 2021 presses on.

LotsaRunway

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:09 pm

PVD523 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Good point. WN hasn't exactly been dedicating many resources to New England markets as of late anyway. Just look at the way B6 and F9 have taken over some some of the Florida markets from PVD, which were longtime WN strongholds. MHT is basically WN's at the moment. Shaking WN's tree might not go so well overall. Interesting catch 22.

I haven't put WN under the LCC umbrella for a while now. They're inching closer to the legacies but they're not there just yet. I put them in sort of a middle category, call it "value carrier" or whatever you want.

Lastly, it's nice to see NK support MHT's bid but I don't see them there. Someone else will have to take the leap and risk MHT's unfortunate cost structure. MHT dearly needs a win and I wish them luck. All the smaller New England airports do. Each plays a role in the region's transportation network and I'm hoping they'll each see better days ahead as 2021 presses on.

While I normally would say not to provoke the giant, it seems like WN is just as much at fault of pushing service from MHT to BOS as any airline. I would say that only US/AA has been reasonably servicing MHT through the years. I don't know how one gets past the airport cost problem that MHT has, but it needs one of the ULCCs or a new entry to recapture some leakage. Some sort of waiver, discount, or guarantee might be needed, but I don't know how you structure that without upsetting WN and AA. Introduction of ULCC fair operations to FLL, MCO, TPA, DEN, or LAS would be a game changer for MHT.

RL757PVD

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 pm

MHT Might be the largest airport without a ULCC presence at all, so I think it only makes sense that someone like NK is interested. It would probably just be MCO and FLL, but thats a start for sure.

mjgbtv

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
MHT Might be the largest airport without a ULCC presence at all, so I think it only makes sense that someone like NK is interested. It would probably just be MCO and FLL, but thats a start for sure.

It seems to me, though, that for the long term they need to try to get the market share more balanced between the airlines that have big networks. A ULCC might stop leakage but I'm not sure if it would do much for fares overall.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos