Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blueknows

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 pm

I’m thinking F9
Announcing new animal tomorrow. 10-1 says they pull out of BTV, and planes start flying to MHT instead

https://twitter.com/flyfrontier/status/ ... 83905?s=21

737Jason

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Blueknows wrote:
I’m thinking F9
Announcing new animal tomorrow. 10-1 says they pull out of BTV, and planes start flying to MHT instead

Interesting...... Could be a new plane though.....

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 pm

I agree that a customs facility could bring in a LCC for MHT but I don't think they will do it. Its a good idea but the media coverage and risk if it sits unserved will deter anyone. The media won't get the case and will roast it as bad spending if it's sits to even a short bit. The customs facility to nowhere

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Blueknows wrote:
I’m thinking F9

That's clearly a post about a new plane.

I can't see then leaving BTV all reports are it's been a success and continues to have great bookings.

WNflyer1523

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 pm

737Jason wrote:
I cannot see Frontier coming into MHT. They tried PSM, and it failed , miserably for them. Who would MHT be any different? I could see Spirit, because they signed the grant application to bring a ULCC to MHT. Or it could be B6.

MHT has a much bigger population base than PSM, including most of NH.

Blueknows

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:50 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
I’m thinking F9

That's clearly a post about a new plane.

I can't see then leaving BTV all reports are it's been a success and continues to have great bookings.

So the contract in BTV is month to month. F9 just have to give BTV 30 day notice to leave. Also F9 flies the plane but contract company does ramp/counter. It’s pretty easy for them to just move operations

chrisnh

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 pm

Frontier has over 140 new NEO's on the books starting this year. A mix of 320s and 321s. So they will have the metal, over time, to service all sorts of new markets while fortifying existing ones.

Heaven forbid is the announcement tomorrow is simply DL returning. That's NOT 'press-event' worthy news. Not even in the slightest.

737Jason

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:59 pm

If it is B6, MHT would have a firework show when they would land, and have a red carpet in the jetway.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:03 pm

LOL

They are not just leaving BTV to launch MHT.

They will either launch MHT or not, it has nothing to do with BTV...

chrisnh

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
LOL

They are not just leaving BTV to launch MHT.

They will either launch MHT or not, it has nothing to do with BTV...

Not when you have more than 140 new planes on the books starting deliveries this year. They don't need to cut in order to add.

airlineworker

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:50 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Frontier has over 140 new NEO's on the books starting this year. A mix of 320s and 321s. So they will have the metal, over time, to service all sorts of new markets while fortifying existing ones.

Heaven forbid is the announcement tomorrow is simply DL returning. That's NOT 'press-event' worthy news. Not even in the slightest.

DL to ATL and or DTW would mean more cities to connect to and more frequent flyers from the area will use the service. Frontier is point to point which is good but hub airlines open up a world of possibilities.

chrisnh

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 am

airlineworker wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

DL to ATL and or DTW would mean more cities to connect to and more frequent flyers from the area will use the service. Frontier is point to point which is good but hub airlines open up a world of possibilities.

DL never really had a robust enough schedule at MHT to open a 'world of possibilities.' Maybe to DTW, but certainly not with a lone, ill-timed flight to/from ATL. The ATL-MHT flight was a late-night one, and heaven forbid if it goes tech...you're stuck there with no other possibilities unless you want to try getting on the next-day's nonstop 24 hours later. If there are seats.No disrespect to DL, but if they're coming back I hope they do so with more flights than they had when they left.

WNflyer1523

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:07 am

chrisnh wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

DL never really had a robust enough schedule at MHT to open a 'world of possibilities.' Maybe to DTW, but certainly not with a lone, ill-timed flight to/from ATL. The ATL-MHT flight was a late-night one, and heaven forbid if it goes tech...you're stuck there with no other possibilities unless you want to try getting on the next-day's nonstop 24 hours later. If there are seats.No disrespect to DL, but if they're coming back I hope they do so with more flights than they had when they left.

I doubt this announcement is about Delta. When United returned there wasn’t this much excitement. I could see three things:

Spirit to MCO/FLL 1x daily each
Frontier to MCO 1x daily and TPA/RSW seasonal 4x/3x weekly
Avelo to FL (less likely IMO, but they replied with “stay tuned” when someone emailed them about MHT)

chrisnh

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 am

WNflyer1523 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

I doubt this announcement is about Delta. When United returned there wasn’t this much excitement. I could see three things:

Spirit to MCO/FLL 1x daily each
Frontier to MCO 1x daily and TPA/RSW seasonal 4x/3x weekly
Avelo to FL (less likely IMO, but they replied with “stay tuned” when someone emailed them about MHT)

I'm thinking it's got to be one of the three. I will be keen to see if MHT management show up in yellow shirts...then we will have our answer. :rotfl:

737Jason

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:31 am

Spirit is the best ULCC possibility for MHT. Most likely more flights, and possibly bigger planes. Deep down I am hoping for B6.

paysonmt77

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:07 am

Delta is my best bet. Service to LGA, DTW, and ATL. MHT needs to attract the business flyer and not the unfrequent flyer. Frontier has service from BTV, PWM, and BOS so adding additional service close to these airports would make no sense unless they pull BTV. Spirit has ops in BOS, why would they open in an airport 50 miles away? B6 is content in BTV, PVD, BOS, and PWM. B6 will start LGA-PWM next year unless they add MHT to LGA, which is possible. Allegiant flies into airports with low landing fees, unless MHT can lower them and takeaway from PSM..then no. Allegiant would not operate in 2 airports in the same state close by. Breeze comes to mind. Low cost to markets ???...Just face it MHT is not a destination airport anymore. Its destined to be an amazon facility. The 80's and 90's are over. Its sad when BGR has more flights to destinations and passengers than MHT. We all ask for bigger planes, well right now MHT cant fill those planes, the yields for SWA are not that great, ..You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink the water,,,,,,,,,

737Jason

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 am

paysonmt77 wrote:
Delta is my best bet. Service to LGA, DTW, and ATL. MHT needs to attract the business flyer and not the unfrequent flyer. Frontier has service from BTV, PWM, and BOS so adding additional service close to these airports would make no sense unless they pull BTV. Spirit has ops in BOS, why would they open in an airport 50 miles away? B6 is content in BTV, PVD, BOS, and PWM. B6 will start LGA-PWM next year unless they add MHT to LGA, which is possible. Allegiant flies into airports with low landing fees, unless MHT can lower them and takeaway from PSM..then no. Allegiant would not operate in 2 airports in the same state close by. Breeze comes to mind. Low cost to markets ???...Just face it MHT is not a destination airport anymore. Its destined to be an amazon facility. The 80's and 90's are over. Its sad when BGR has more flights to destinations and passengers than MHT. We all ask for bigger planes, well right now MHT cant fill those planes, the yields for SWA are not that great, ..You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink the water,,,,,,,,,

Yes, but if Delta has a decently sized station 50 miles away, what would leas them to resume operations at MHT?

airlineworker

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 am

paysonmt77 wrote:

Asking for three airports, LGA, DTW and ATL is a tall order. MHT seems to have lost it's attraction among flyers. BOS with WN, B6, NK have diminished the need for LCC at MHT and over the years numbers have been dropping. From 4+ million in 2005 to 1.7 million in 2019. Don't see the glory days returning.

TW787

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:34 am

paysonmt77 wrote:
Spirit has ops in BOS, why would they open in an airport 50 miles away?

Because just because they have ops in BOS doesn't mean they get a ton of passengers from around the MHT airport. If MHT people are going to BOS, they are likely choosing DL or B6 who has more service. Serving MHT would potentially capture those people that are going to B6 or DL today.

paysonmt77 wrote:
Allegiant would not operate in 2 airports in the same state close by.

Tell that to BMI/SPI/PIA, IAG/ROC/SYR, GJT/MTJ, CHA/TYS/TRI, or SCE/MDT/ABE. It is definitely Spirit, not Allegiant, but please don't make generalizations that aren't supported by facts.

airbazar

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm

I hope it's Spirit only because MHT really needs low fares to stimulate passenger growth. The current airlines at MHT have zero interest in growing there and are happy funneling all of their NH traffic thru BOS. But sadly I just don't see a new airline coming at this point. But :crossfingers:

albspotter

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:58 pm

paysonmt77 wrote:
Spirit has ops in BOS, why would they open in an airport 50 miles away?,,,,,,,,,

You must be forgetting that Spirit has a lot of presence in PIT as well as LBE, which are less than an hour from each other.

btvhopper

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:29 pm

Frontier would be the LAST carrier to leave BTV right now. They have been killing it. I don't think they'd expand to to 2-3x weeklies to MCO and 4x to DEN if they were thinking of pulling out. The MCO route especially attracted a lot of price-sensitive Canadian families but clearly there's enough demand out there without the border opening. They're able to charge premium fares (for the ULCC space), fill their planes and pay quite low airport fees (BTV cut them a deal for apron boarding; they'd pay a lot more if they wanted a bridge). It's B6 that you should be worried about. They seem quite disinterested in BTV overall.

I'd be very surprised to see B6 in MHT. My guess would be Frontier, with Spirit or some other ULCC a distant second.

chrisnh

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 pm

I'm going with the airline having 140+ NEOs on the books, starting to come this year. Frontier.

Cboyle

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 pm

It’s NK... MHT shows up on their website now

Cboyle

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Duplicate: mods delete

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Spirit would be the best possible option for MHT. The main thing they need to do is get competition in to lower airfares. Southwest has zero incentive to lower airfares at the moment.

RL757PVD

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Based on their route map, almost ever airport in the northeast and great lakes has MYR, so I bet we will see that in the mix (likely less than daily) along with MCO and FLL
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

lat41

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Southwest was the airline that "stimulated" the market at MHT and even down South at PVD and then the carrier to drive the market away.

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 am

More news on the HVN upgrade project. https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 253278.php

HVNandrew

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 am

airlineworker wrote:
More news on the HVN upgrade project. https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 253278.php

Thanks for that. Not a ton of new information in the article, apart from the "we'd be crazy to not fly to Florida" comment and listing Chicago and DC as potential destinations.

I'm a bit skeptical of the Q3 timeline for starting flights out of HVN. We are at the end of Q2 and still do not know destinations or have booking available, and based on the Avelo careers website it doesn't look like they have started recruiting for most positions out of HVN (pilots, FAs, ground crew, etc.). Seems like a lot to do in three months if they really do plan to start service in Q3.

RL757PVD

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:42 pm

My biggest takeaway from that article is the term "several destinations" ... that doesn't sound like 3 aircraft worth of flying, meaning there may be more to their east coast operation that just all to/from HVN. If I was avelo, I'd be looking for holes in the G4 network such as places like AVP, and BTV or maybe they will bookend BDL with CEF

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
My biggest takeaway from that article is the term "several destinations" ... that doesn't sound like 3 aircraft worth of flying, meaning there may be more to their east coast operation that just all to/from HVN. If I was avelo, I'd be looking for holes in the G4 network such as places like AVP, and BTV or maybe they will bookend BDL with CEF

Another article on HVN. This one mentions "He said that Avelo’s CEO will announce in early July where those flights will go."

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... _upgrades/

Portlander

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 pm

Just curious. So until the 5600' runway is extended another 1035', are there any issues with 737-700 aircraft using it throughout the winter? If not, why was there so much fuss on why HVN could not attract new airlines due to it's runway limitations. Was the tree removal at the one end of the runway the main obstacle and does a 737 require less take off and landing distance than the assortment of regional jets that can operate safely with the current length? Thanks.

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 pm

Portlander wrote:
Just curious. So until the 5600' runway is extended another 1035', are there any issues with 737-700 aircraft using it throughout the winter? If not, why was there so much fuss on why HVN could not attract new airlines due to it's runway limitations. Was the tree removal at the one end of the runway the main obstacle and does a 737 require less take off and landing distance than the assortment of regional jets that can operate safely with the current length? Thanks.

Waiting for the FAA to approve moving back the 352 foot displaced threshold on runway 20.

Portlander

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:42 pm

Is that a gain due to the tree that was removed?

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Portlander wrote:
Is that a gain due to the tree that was removed?

Yes. https://www.nhregister.com/metro/articl ... 829901.php
Partiial quote, "Nov. 12, 2019 NEW HAVEN — Fifteen years after Tweed New Haven Regional Airport began a concerted effort to remove trees and other navigational obstructions that have long reduced the effective landing length of its main runway, the last obstruction is down, officials said.
On Oct. 30, a contractor removed a mature tree that for decades had provided shade in the backyard of a home at 115 Laura Lane in East Haven, just steps from the New Haven border off Charter Oak Avenue, Tweed officials said. For many years, the presence of what once were 1,200 trees with more than 100 owners in the landing zone north of the main runway had resulted in the Federal Aviation Administration imposing a 353-foot “displaced threshold.”

Portlander

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks. I just goggled the area from above and it shows a nicely cleared section just north of the runway. There is one house sitting dead center on the southern approach only yards from the runway who probably has an owner that is not too happy! Congrats to HVN, it's been a long journey to finally get to this point.

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Portlander wrote:
Thanks. I just goggled the area from above and it shows a nicely cleared section just north of the runway. There is one house sitting dead center on the southern approach only yards from the runway who probably has an owner that is not too happy! Congrats to HVN, it's been a long journey to finally get to this point.

SDU airport in Brazil has a 4340 foot runway and 737's and A320' fly in there. HVN should be OK.

Portlander

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 pm

That must be the shortest runway in the world that accommodates mainline aircraft. I think EYW (5076'), SNA (5701') and HVN (5600' until extension is completed) have the shortest runways in the US that handle mainline unless I missed one.

RL757PVD

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Portlander wrote:
That must be the shortest runway in the world that accommodates mainline aircraft. I think EYW (5076'), SNA (5701') and HVN (5600' until extension is completed) have the shortest runways in the US that handle mainline unless I missed one.

HYA with B6 has 5,200 and 5,425x 150
MVY with B6 AA and DL has 5,500 x 100

Prior to EYW, HYA was the shortest runway in the B6 network

Portlander

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Forgot that HYA and MVY had seasonal mainline, good catch. All of those shorter runways are close to sea level which must be a huge plus.
Last edited by Portlander on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoseSalazar

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:07 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Portlander wrote:

BOS RWY 32 is 5,000’ and used by B6 E190s (albeit only for landing) depending on winds.

airlineworker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:17 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
Portlander wrote:

BOS RWY 32 is 5,000’ and used by B6 E190s (albeit only for landing) depending on winds.

And it took BOS 20 years to get approval on that runway which is entirely on airport land, no other land taken. There should be no public involvement when airports make improvements that are completely within the airports boundary lines.

airbazar

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 pm

airlineworker wrote:

And it took BOS 20 years to get approval on that runway which is entirely on airport land, no other land taken. There should be no public involvement when airports make improvements that are completely within the airports boundary lines.

Well until we have completely silent, vertical takeoff and landing commercial aircraft, there is no such thing as "improvements that are completely within the airports boundary lines". And even then you'll still need to contend with roadway traffic to get to and from the airport :)

airlineworker

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:04 pm

airbazar wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

Well until we have completely silent, vertical takeoff and landing commercial aircraft, there is no such thing as "improvements that are completely within the airports boundary lines". And even then you'll still need to contend with roadway traffic to get to and from the airport :)

When people move near an existing airport that preceded them by decades, they have no right to complain but some always do. Airports need to keep pace with air travel and be exempt from local laws that hinder improvements.

PVD523

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:52 pm

airlineworker wrote:
airbazar wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

When people move near an existing airport that preceded them by decades, they have no right to complain but some always do. Airports need to keep pace with air travel and be exempt from local laws that hinder improvements.

I don't think airbazar was referring only to noise considerations. Your frustrations with improvements being held up are definitely shared - it took ages for PVD to get RWY 5/23 extended - but there's a lot more that goes into these improvements that affect public and private considerations than just noise, from both the local and federal levels. Safety and environmental are two of the biggest. AC 150/5300-13A is a good starting point for more info.

airbazar

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:52 pm

airlineworker wrote:
airbazar wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

That attitude is not going to get you far in life. In a lot of cases (most cases perhaps), there were people living there before there was an airport. That is certainly the case in Boston. You could argue that the individuals may not be the same but there was a city of Boston long before there was a Logan airport. So who was there first? In Boston in particular there's bad blood between the airport and the residents because of this incident.
Sorry to keep bringing up Logan in this thread but I'm just responding to a specific comment made about about RWY 32.

airlineworker

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 pm

airbazar wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
airbazar wrote:

That attitude is not going to get you far in life. In a lot of cases (most cases perhaps), there were people living there before there was an airport. That is certainly the case in Boston. You could argue that the individuals may not be the same but there was a city of Boston long before there was a Logan airport. So who was there first? In Boston in particular there's bad blood between the airport and the residents because of this incident.
Sorry to keep bringing up Logan in this thread but I'm just responding to a specific comment made about about RWY 32.

I was referring to an airport that opened in 1931 and most homes nearby were built in the 40's and 50's. Now a few want to impede progress that is very much needed to maintain a level of service that will match the demand. Move next to a school, do some complain about the noise the children make at recess, or the school buses in the morning and afternoon along with cars dropping off and picking up children? Airports are noisy, it's part of their makeup. Knowing an airport is nearby then move in and complain means the buyer did not use common sense in selecting the home. The airport did not spring up over night nor did it double in size. As a rule, homes near an airport are priced lower and for many that was the key reason they bought the house. Trying to change the make up of the area that preceded them is wrong. Learn to live with the public facility that existed before they moved in, try to be tolerant and realize it's not about the few, but the many.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:10 am

I was just catching up on the current flights at PWM this season and noticed that the new Frontier flight to MYR continues on to MIA same plane. PWM-MYR-MIA is bookable in July for $70 one way for the basic fare, just a little over 4 hours total travel time. Also, noticed that they are offering onwards connections from ATL on the soon to commence PWM-ATL flight. As well as connections on the PWM-RDU. Maybe at PHL, too? Haven’t checked on that.

Looks like Sun Country started service to MSP this last week for the season, too. Nice to see MDW, DFW and DEN daily this summer.

paysonmt77

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm

The FAA will award $8 billion in grants to keep U.S. airport workers employed, construction projects going and help U.S. airports recover from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. The funding for the grants comes from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 President Biden signed into law on March 11, 2021.

The funding provides economic relief to eligible commercial service, reliever, and general aviation airports. The money will help keep people safe and employed by reimbursing operational expenses, debt service payments, and costs related to combating the spread of pathogens at the airport. Airports can also use the money to provide rent relief to in-terminal retail and concession companies.

The funding requires that airports continue to employ at least 90 percent of their pre-pandemic employees for those airports that cover a majority of the traveling public.

Among the hundreds of airports receiving funding today include:

Philadelphia International: $115 million
Yeager Airport, Charlestown, W.Va.: $3.2 million
Ted Stevens Anchorage International: $44.4 million
Gulfport-Biloxi International: $4.9 million
St. Louis Lambert International: $56.2 million
Portland International Jetport, Portland, Maine: $10.4 million
Daniel K Inouye International: $74.3 million
Raleigh-Durham International: $50.6 million
Seattle-Tacoma International: $175.7 million
Portland International: $72 million

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5444632 ... cue-grants

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos