Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
F27500
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 pm

BitFly wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
AA switching ORH-PHL to ORH-JFK. 1-5-2022 Good way to kill the service. Fly to an airport with fewer connections.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ma/worcester/ ... jfk-philly


Except they are hooking it into the NEA, so not that crazy considering

AA switching ORH-PHL to ORH-JFK makes perfect sense, as this is part of the NEA, which will allow JetBlue and AA to connect all their flights out of JFK. A lot more options for fliers out of ORH.
This switch will also allow JetBlue to add non-stop ORH-MCO flights very soon.
Good way to kill the service was if AA kept ORH-PHL with a horrible schedule, which was basically a dead end flight with no connection options for anyone flying out of ORH.


This AA-B6 alliance is a complete joke at JFK ....for connections, their terminals are clear across the field from each other. That does NOT make for "seamless" connections. SO stupid.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5315
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:11 am

F27500 wrote:
BitFly wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Except they are hooking it into the NEA, so not that crazy considering

AA switching ORH-PHL to ORH-JFK makes perfect sense, as this is part of the NEA, which will allow JetBlue and AA to connect all their flights out of JFK. A lot more options for fliers out of ORH.
This switch will also allow JetBlue to add non-stop ORH-MCO flights very soon.
Good way to kill the service was if AA kept ORH-PHL with a horrible schedule, which was basically a dead end flight with no connection options for anyone flying out of ORH.


This AA-B6 alliance is a complete joke at JFK ....for connections, their terminals are clear across the field from each other. That does NOT make for "seamless" connections. SO stupid.


They have a new easy direct shuttle bus between their gates. I would say a connection at jfk is faster quite often then philly now. Philly has insanely long walks between gates and the buses stink (literally). The jfk link works great between aa and b6
 
tichydev
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:42 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
I'd be worried that the A220 is going to be too much airplane for market like BTV and PWM once the E190 goes away. My guess is that something between 9 seats (Cape Air) and 140 Seats (A220) will emerge to provide good markets like BTV and PWM with a reliable right sized fit to serve the B6 network. I know there is an aversion to props but the silver ATR's would be perfect for routes like BOS-BGR/PWM/ACK/MVY/BTV/ALB/SYR/ROC/ISP. Essentially what how Horizon allows AS to have a viable hub in a geographic corner.

3X ATRs feeding a reliable hub at BOS would better serve places like PWM and BTV than 2x E190 to JFK (with more seats too!)


Interesting idea. Keep in mind Dehaviland is still around and working on a hydrogen and hybrid electric Dash-8-400. They’re also reportedly working on a new 50 seat replacement sorta like a Dash-8-300NG of sorts with new avionics and engines. It’s not all that farfetched an idea with Embraer making their new 50 seater a turboprop and United going big on the ES-19 (despite the questionable economics of a 19 seat airplane operating under part 121).

It would be nice to see Dehaviland go with something CRJ-550 like. A platform somewhere in between the 300 and 400 with 50 seats in a C/Y+/Y layout.

While the ATR-600 is fine the name leaves a sour taste in some’s mouths in colder markets. The Dash is a much better platform and there is something to be said for boarding from the front and having jetbridge capabilities.

Starting to sound very Biz-Ex like with that thinking. Maybe a little far fetched but I like it!
 
Fex180
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:57 am

UA is upping DEN-BTV to daily next summer with an A319, and upgauging DEN-PWM daily with a MAX-9.

I'm cautiously hopeful that DEN-PWM will eventually become a year round route. I've flown that route 4 times and every flight has been packed and I've encountered plenty of Mainers on those flights.

F9 is also adding 1x weekly FLL-PWM beginning in February.
 
jplatts
Posts: 5839
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:18 am

Fex180 wrote:
UA is upping DEN-BTV to daily next summer with an A319, and upgauging DEN-PWM daily with a MAX-9.

I'm cautiously hopeful that DEN-PWM will eventually become a year round route. I've flown that route 4 times and every flight has been packed and I've encountered plenty of Mainers on those flights.


WN adding PWM-DEN nonstop service is a possibility with the adds that WN has made to DEN from some other destinations inherited through the WN-FL merger such as CLT, DSM, RIC, and ICT in the last 2 years along with WN's plans to significantly expand at DEN.

WN would also be able to offer connections through DEN to some Western U.S. destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from BWI from PWM if it adds PWM-DEN nonstop service.
 
bval
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:08 am

BitFly wrote:
I agree with the Lounge situation between JFK T5 and T8, but I'm sure that B6 and AA will have something worked out soon regarding JFK lounges between both terminals.


B6 is a single cabin airline with no lounges. Unless they change directions in a big way I don't expect to see a lounge at T5. As an AA elite who is currently based at SLK and thus always connects through BOS on 9K I think the NEA stinks and AA abandoning us to Y/Y+ only on a slew of routes has me considering changing airlines.
 
tphuang
Posts: 7170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:54 am

bval wrote:
BitFly wrote:
I agree with the Lounge situation between JFK T5 and T8, but I'm sure that B6 and AA will have something worked out soon regarding JFK lounges between both terminals.


B6 is a single cabin airline with no lounges. Unless they change directions in a big way I don't expect to see a lounge at T5. As an AA elite who is currently based at SLK and thus always connects through BOS on 9K I think the NEA stinks and AA abandoning us to Y/Y+ only on a slew of routes has me considering changing airlines.


AA hasn't cut any route at BOS aside from LGA. They've actually added quite a few routes there. If you were getting somewhere pre-COVID on AA, you can still do that exclusively on AA.

And B6 will have lounges at JFK and BOS. Whether that's accessible for AA elites will be a different story. You can still use admiral club for your travels.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:10 pm

bval wrote:
B6 is a single cabin airline with no lounges. Unless they change directions in a big way I don't expect to see a lounge at T5. As an AA elite who is currently based at SLK and thus always connects through BOS on 9K I think the NEA stinks and AA abandoning us to Y/Y+ only on a slew of routes has me considering changing airlines.

B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm

airbazar wrote:
bval wrote:
B6 is a single cabin airline with no lounges. Unless they change directions in a big way I don't expect to see a lounge at T5. As an AA elite who is currently based at SLK and thus always connects through BOS on 9K I think the NEA stinks and AA abandoning us to Y/Y+ only on a slew of routes has me considering changing airlines.

B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


Hardly "inevitable". In BOS terminal C there is "The Lounge", though that is not currently accessible to Admiral's Club members. They have tried a club in JFK T5, but that failed. Fortunately, if you have a relatively long layover, there is now the bus that connects to T8 and offers access to the AC lounge there. B6 only offers Mint on a handful of Transcon routes. I think one of the reasons AA was willing to get into a partnership with B6 is that they know their elite passengers are not going to switch to B6 since the only offer economy. Yes LGA is going to be a big loss, since previously a lot of flights, at least the more affordable ones, connected through there. B6 lacks the reliability for frequent travelers to be willing to do that route on B6 and connect to an AA flight. But then again I don't expect AA to be out of that route very long.
 
lat41
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
On paper ORH is surrounded by people. You would think they could make it work. I k how thet doesnt always translate. Getting to Logan and parking is a huge pain!

To the South & East, some people. to the West and North not very many people.
 
uconn99
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:52 am

cloudboy wrote:
airbazar wrote:
bval wrote:
B6 only offers Mint on a handful of Transcon routes.


Mint is offered on flights to over 30 cities currently and will only grow. Mint is scheduled on flights Transcon, Central America, the Caribbean, I believe South America as well as flights to London.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5315
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:01 am

lat41 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
On paper ORH is surrounded by people. You would think they could make it work. I k how thet doesnt always translate. Getting to Logan and parking is a huge pain!

To the South & East, some people. to the West and North not very many people.


Give me a Break. Worcester County ALONE has 830,000 people +. Population should not be a hurdle for anyone.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 pm

What is the largest plane ORH can handle?
 
airbazar
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:07 pm

cloudboy wrote:
airbazar wrote:
bval wrote:
B6 is a single cabin airline with no lounges. Unless they change directions in a big way I don't expect to see a lounge at T5. As an AA elite who is currently based at SLK and thus always connects through BOS on 9K I think the NEA stinks and AA abandoning us to Y/Y+ only on a slew of routes has me considering changing airlines.

B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


Hardly "inevitable". In BOS terminal C there is "The Lounge", though that is not currently accessible to Admiral's Club members. They have tried a club in JFK T5, but that failed. Fortunately, if you have a relatively long layover, there is now the bus that connects to T8 and offers access to the AC lounge there. B6 only offers Mint on a handful of Transcon routes. I think one of the reasons AA was willing to get into a partnership with B6 is that they know their elite passengers are not going to switch to B6 since the only offer economy. Yes LGA is going to be a big loss, since previously a lot of flights, at least the more affordable ones, connected through there. B6 lacks the reliability for frequent travelers to be willing to do that route on B6 and connect to an AA flight. But then again I don't expect AA to be out of that route very long.


I think you're wrong. As I understand it a lounge has been the most requested amenity from Mint passengers. Like I said, it might not be a B6 lounge, it could just be a partnership with another lounge operator but it is inevitable.
The reason why B6 hasn't needed a lounge until now is in part because most of their premium passengers are on p-2-p routes but with the introduction of TATL partnerships a few years ago and now B6 starting their own TATL flights there will be a lot more premium passengers connecting at their JFK and BOS hubs. And as you alluded to these people will need a more comfortable place to wait out their delayed flights :D
 
PVD757
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:08 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
lat41 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
On paper ORH is surrounded by people. You would think they could make it work. I k how thet doesnt always translate. Getting to Logan and parking is a huge pain!

To the South & East, some people. to the West and North not very many people.


Give me a Break. Worcester County ALONE has 830,000 people +. Population should not be a hurdle for anyone.


My opinion about ORH’s lack of service is that it is literally surrounded by other airports where airlines have vested interests. The ORH market in general supplies passengers to BOS, MHT, PVD, and BDL. Those passengers help fill the existing flights and feed the bottom line. The same phenomenon exists for PVD and MHT in relation to BOS. The PVD MSA is 1.7M and could most likely fill a flight to DEN, DFW, MIA, and LAX but the airlines capture that demand on BOS flights that help push up yields.

In other words, it is less about PVD or ORH’s ability to fill certain flights rather more about the airlines willingness or desire to serve the demand at those airports instead of at BOS.
Last edited by PVD757 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
bval
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:11 pm

airbazar wrote:
B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


I fly Mint occasionally. I'm glad I can earn and burn with it now. But it's only available transcon if flying domestic. Every other B6 domestic flight is single cabin. It's not an acceptable solution for AA's business travelers in the Northeast (of which I'm one).
 
F27500
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm

cloudboy wrote:
What is the largest plane ORH can handle?


Delta used to fly 727-200s in there ..
 
airlineworker
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:50 pm

F27500 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
What is the largest plane ORH can handle?


Delta used to fly 727-200s in there ..


757's fly into HVN with a 5600 foot runway. ORH has a 7001 foot runway.
 
PVD523
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:40 pm

cloudboy wrote:
What is the largest plane ORH can handle?

Is this a runway length question or a terminal capacity question?

Before its extension, PVD's runway 5/23 was 7,166ft and routinely handled 767s, A330s, etc. 747s and even the Concorde utilized it. ORH is only a little bit shorter. If the aircraft's load is light enough ORH could basically handle anything. The ability to do it profitably for the airline is a separate question.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Actually a question of Diversion. It seems that lately the North East is experiencing a lot more diversions. Obviously ORH is never going to be able to handle an international flight, but certainly smaller planes could be diverted to ORH instead of PVD or Boston. Having someone there who can handle diversions for an airline certainly would be helpful.
 
BitFly
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 pm

PVD523 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
What is the largest plane ORH can handle?

Is this a runway length question or a terminal capacity question?

Before its extension, PVD's runway 5/23 was 7,166ft and routinely handled 767s, A330s, etc. 747s and even the Concorde utilized it. ORH is only a little bit shorter. If the aircraft's load is light enough ORH could basically handle anything. The ability to do it profitably for the airline is a separate question.

The 757 Air Force One has been used by Obama and Trump to Land at ORH. At 7001ft runway length, as mentioned above, any size aircraft could possibly land at ORH depending on weight levels.
 
lat41
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:55 am

BitFly wrote:
PVD523 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
What is the largest plane ORH can handle?

Is this a runway length question or a terminal capacity question?

Before its extension, PVD's runway 5/23 was 7,166ft and routinely handled 767s, A330s, etc. 747s and even the Concorde utilized it. ORH is only a little bit shorter. If the aircraft's load is light enough ORH could basically handle anything. The ability to do it profitably for the airline is a separate question.

The 757 Air Force One has been used by Obama and Trump to Land at ORH. At 7001ft runway length, as mentioned above, any size aircraft could possibly land at ORH depending on weight levels.

And the short hop to Andrews on an almost empty aircraft helps as it did for the 747 outbound from PVD back in the day.
 
SCHATC422
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 am

I was informed earlier today by an undisclosed source that AC will not be returning to BDL, as they gave up their lease on Gate 1, which was always their gate.
 
HVNwxROC
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 pm

Looks like flights from BDL to YYZ and BDL to YUL are still scheduled to resume May 1, 2022, or at least one can still purchase tickets on Air Canada for next spring and summer. Maybe they are planning to share a gate with someone??
 
uconn99
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:55 pm

It would make sense for AC to share a UA gate (20-23) as most days pre covid there were only 2-3 flights and both are star alliance members.
 
CairnterriAIR
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 am

I’m guessing AC will be picking up the services of another ground handler or subleasing another gate from one of the other carriers at the airport. Is it possible that Jetblue wishes to pick up Gate 1 as it is right next to their’s?
 
HVNandrew
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:05 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:48 pm

I'd like to see AC stick around at BDL but I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave. In addition to the changing demand as a result of COVID, they don't have the right plane for the market anymore - the CRJ just doesn't seem like a fit for such short hops (especially to YUL) and that's really their only option with so few 50 seater Dashes in the fleet. The B1900s were much better suited for these routes - you could split the capacity throughout the day with more frequencies on relatively low cost planes.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5315
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:03 pm

How long has air Canada been at BDL? Seems like a long time.

I'm also going to guess they carry a very very high amount of connections. Europe,asia, Caribbean, even south america. It's similar to LGA its really not an insane connection spot for the price sensitive and lots of people pre covid did it. I think the issue is the overall international demand. I hope they can return in say 2023 when International demand is back. I don't think o&d has never supported those flights they rely heavily on international connections which which that demand will take a while post covid to return.
 
Jetport
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:04 pm

bval wrote:
airbazar wrote:
B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


I fly Mint occasionally. I'm glad I can earn and burn with it now. But it's only available transcon if flying domestic. Every other B6 domestic flight is single cabin. It's not an acceptable solution for AA's business travelers in the Northeast (of which I'm one).


Totally agree. I have been a frequent business traveler out of PWM for over 20 years with status on 2 airlines throughout that time. The lack of E+ and First Class on almost all routes has always made using B6 a non-starter. I only flew on JetBlue once due to a cancelation, nothing special. To me, B6 has always been the equivalent of an entire airline of CRJ-200's since the worst seat I ever get on any other airline is always better than the best seat I will ever get on B6.
 
tphuang
Posts: 7170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Jetport wrote:
bval wrote:
airbazar wrote:
B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


I fly Mint occasionally. I'm glad I can earn and burn with it now. But it's only available transcon if flying domestic. Every other B6 domestic flight is single cabin. It's not an acceptable solution for AA's business travelers in the Northeast (of which I'm one).


Totally agree. I have been a frequent business traveler out of PWM for over 20 years with status on 2 airlines throughout that time. The lack of E+ and First Class on almost all routes has always made using B6 a non-starter. I only flew on JetBlue once due to a cancelation, nothing special. To me, B6 has always been the equivalent of an entire airline of CRJ-200's since the worst seat I ever get on any other airline is always better than the best seat I will ever get on B6.


Have you ever been on a b6 flight? They have plenty of e+ seats. They have the most pitch and width in both y and y+ of any domestic airline. Mint is the best domestic business class seat.

There are many valid criticism of b6, but none of what you wrote here makes sense.
 
georgiabill
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Do we have any news on how NK is performing at MHT? I saw a post earlier saying the flight had about a 50% load factor. I hope they can grow out of MHT!
 
pilotfox
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:31 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:31 am

Looking at booking UA into BTV in July/August next year but was surprised to see their limited schedules. 2x from ORD on ZW. What gives?
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5315
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:00 am

pilotfox wrote:
Looking at booking UA into BTV in July/August next year but was surprised to see their limited schedules. 2x from ORD on ZW. What gives?


In these covid times no schedules are even close to anything this far out. More or less a placeholder to take bookings. You will see lots of rounds of major changes and updates before next summer for all airlines.
 
mjgbtv
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:18 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:36 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
pilotfox wrote:
Looking at booking UA into BTV in July/August next year but was surprised to see their limited schedules. 2x from ORD on ZW. What gives?


In these covid times no schedules are even close to anything this far out. More or less a placeholder to take bookings. You will see lots of rounds of major changes and updates before next summer for all airlines.


Aren't they supposed to be flying DEN-BTV daily next summer? If so I would think they'll be trying to shift connections from ORD to DEN to fill out those flights.
 
CairnterriAIR
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:00 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
How long has air Canada been at BDL? Seems like a long time.

I'm also going to guess they carry a very very high amount of connections. Europe,asia, Caribbean, even south america. It's similar to LGA its really not an insane connection spot for the price sensitive and lots of people pre covid did it. I think the issue is the overall international demand. I hope they can return in say 2023 when International demand is back. I don't think o&d has never supported those flights they rely heavily on international connections which which that demand will take a while post covid to return.


Air Canada and its feeder carriers have served BDL for well over 30 years. I’ve flown to Toronto in the past aboard the Dash-8 several times. Low and slow, a great way to watch the scenery below....especially in the fall....and seeing Niagara Falls from the air is always neat. Looking at their website into June, flights are bookable. Three flights to Toronto and one to Montreal...airfare between $219 and $225. I’m guessing if they are giving up their gate, it’s because they are moving to the other concourse and having UA do their ground handling or something along that line. The gate they have used I can assume is needed by Jetblue, whose gates are right next to Air Canada’s single gate.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:10 pm

georgiabill wrote:
Do we have any news on how NK is performing at MHT? I saw a post earlier saying the flight had about a 50% load factor. I hope they can grow out of MHT!

I was at MHT today when the TPA flight arrived I counted about 80 people waiting around the baggage claim so if that tells you anything.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27463
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:17 pm

Sad to say there was an accident with a loss of a life near MHT, with a single-engine plane said to be transporting medical supplies:

Airport Director Ted Kitchens said the plane, a Swearingen SA226 operated by Castle Aviation, had departed from Essex County Airport in Fairfield, N.J., at about 10:50 p.m. Friday en route to Manchester. It crashed at around 11:30 p.m.
...
The plane crashed into trees along the Merrimack River near Reed Drive in Bedford, and landed in the river. Initial reports said no buildings were hit and no other people were injured.

According to a news release from the Bedford Police Department, the plane was transporting medical supplies.

Castle Aviation flies small cargo planes to and from Manchester regularly.

Ref: https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety ... 510b9.html

The ATC coverage from VAS Aviation on u2b ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUJ1OqCFx8 ) has the pilot reporting an engine failure and shortly thereafter the plane crashing at the approach end of Runway 6 within sight of the airport.

RIP to the pilot, my sympathies to their friends and loved ones.
 
B595
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 am

Revelation wrote:
Sad to say there was an accident with a loss of a life near MHT, with a single-engine plane said to be transporting medical supplies:

The SA226 is a twin turboprop, cousin of the Metroliner. Fairly sizable airplane.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27463
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:54 am

B595 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Sad to say there was an accident with a loss of a life near MHT, with a single-engine plane said to be transporting medical supplies:

The SA226 is a twin turboprop, cousin of the Metroliner. Fairly sizable airplane.

My bad, I meant to write "single pilot airplane" so readers would know there was just one fatality.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Jetport wrote:
bval wrote:
airbazar wrote:
B6 hasn't been a single cabin airline in years. Ever heard of Mint?
Also, don't know exactly what single cabin has to do with lounges. Are you suggesting that people who fly economy don't need/use lounges?
Lounges for B6 passengers in BOS and JFK are inevitable. Whether it's a B6-branded lounge or a partnership with someone else it remains to be seen.


I fly Mint occasionally. I'm glad I can earn and burn with it now. But it's only available transcon if flying domestic. Every other B6 domestic flight is single cabin. It's not an acceptable solution for AA's business travelers in the Northeast (of which I'm one).


Totally agree. I have been a frequent business traveler out of PWM for over 20 years with status on 2 airlines throughout that time. The lack of E+ and First Class on almost all routes has always made using B6 a non-starter. I only flew on JetBlue once due to a cancelation, nothing special. To me, B6 has always been the equivalent of an entire airline of CRJ-200's since the worst seat I ever get on any other airline is always better than the best seat I will ever get on B6.


Perhaps AA's business fliers are no longer willing to pay for domestic F?
I've always wondered how many people sitting in domestic F actually pay for the cost of a first class ticket and how many get free upgrades or heavily discounted upgrades.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Revelation wrote:
Sad to say there was an accident with a loss of a life near MHT, with a single-engine plane said to be transporting medical supplies:

Airport Director Ted Kitchens said the plane, a Swearingen SA226 operated by Castle Aviation, had departed from Essex County Airport in Fairfield, N.J., at about 10:50 p.m. Friday en route to Manchester. It crashed at around 11:30 p.m.
...
The plane crashed into trees along the Merrimack River near Reed Drive in Bedford, and landed in the river. Initial reports said no buildings were hit and no other people were injured.

According to a news release from the Bedford Police Department, the plane was transporting medical supplies.

Castle Aviation flies small cargo planes to and from Manchester regularly.

Ref: https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety ... 510b9.html

The ATC coverage from VAS Aviation on u2b ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUJ1OqCFx8 ) has the pilot reporting an engine failure and shortly thereafter the plane crashing at the approach end of Runway 6 within sight of the airport.

RIP to the pilot, my sympathies to their friends and loved ones.

Took a ride by yesterday you can see the aircraft remains from Brown Ave so close to the runway. Very sad.
 
bval
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:10 pm

airbazar wrote:
Perhaps AA's business fliers are no longer willing to pay for domestic F?
I've always wondered how many people sitting in domestic F actually pay for the cost of a first class ticket and how many get free upgrades or heavily discounted upgrades.


I routinely pay for J or F (usually actually I or R etc fare codes, rarely pay full freight) depending on segment length as dictated by company policy. If it's personal travel then I always just pay for the seat up front. If I'm on a short segment for work, I'll rely on the upgrade system.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:37 pm

On a route like BOS-LGA, I can't imagine too many people pay for first. It is really short, and the price premium they try charging for it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, people who are just connecting through LGA (which I imagine is a lot higher for AA than B6) will pay for first. And not having first on a segment really hurts the chances of someone paying for first for a whole trip.

That being said, the more I see of AA's changes, the more I believe they are just hurting for planes and crews, and are trying to find ways to "downsize" without making it look like they are.
 
User avatar
LotsaRunway
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Looks like WN extended their schedule for next summer. There are a bunch of frequencies added. One add of note is that WN will do PWM-MDW twice daily. I"m not sure that they have done 2 before. PWM-BWI will remain at 3.
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3365
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:41 pm

PVD will be back up to 14 daily (6 BWI 3 MDW 2 DCA 2 MCO 1 TPA) - 4x MCO on Sat
BDL will have 11 daily (5 BWI 3 MDW 1 MCO 1 TPA 1 BNA) - DEN reduced to Sat only which is surprising
MHT will have 8 (5 BWI 2 MDW 1 MCO)
PWM will have 5 (3 BWI 2 MDW), - 4th BWI on Sat and one of the MDW's does BNA instead on Sat
 
BTVB6Flyer
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Looks like UA is running mainline from BTV to all 3, IAD, ORD, EWR this winter
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5315
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:46 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Looks like UA is running mainline from BTV to all 3, IAD, ORD, EWR this winter


BTV-EWR is a pretty short flight for mainline. It does make sense United handles lots of inter northeast connections and it's good for any connections really out of BTV.

Does anyone know if btv lost Boston already. I know boutique is a pretty terrible airline on reliability and kind of falling apart right now but I didnt see anything loaded for 2022 for btv-bos? I took that flight twice both times were full or close even with prices and times not really great and covid still and issue. Seems like cape air should be able to jump in if boutique leaves at least for next summer
 
B595
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:16 pm

I have to wonder if this increased UA mainline service to BTV is to match demand or if it’s driven by short-staffing of pilots at UA’s regionals (discussed in another thread).
 
Portlander
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:57 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:39 pm

PWM has been awarded $4.8 million for improvements in an announcement yesterday. The funds will go to the purchase of an extension pier and two new passenger bridges for Gates 12 and 14. Two current jetways will also be replaced with new ones due to age and a fourth baggage carousel will be added in the dead space just beyond the entrance to baggage claim. A long overdue FIS facility is planned for the next round of funding next year once the jetport administration offices are moved to the upper east end of the terminal and TSA relocates to the current jetport admin space.
 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos