Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:47 am

Is AA still flying MIA-PWM?

Last winter it was seasonal, Saturday only. Then It was announced last March it was going year round starting last June. However, I haven’t seen any MIA-PWM flights recently and don’t see them on AA website doing flight searches.

Frontier meanwhile is asking $120-200 one-way base fares on PWM-MIA thru this winter, Some days exceeding $250 one-way, base fare. Yet, they have flights to MCO, RSW, and TPA for as low as $33 one-way on some days. ( PWM-RSW was $24 one-way two days ago for January 24. Up to $68 today.)

FLL-PWM starts late February and their fares are pretty high for Frontier on PWM-FLL in comparison to MCO, TPA, RSW. Meanwhile AA is showing around $112 each way for PWM-MIA with a connection through most of this winter, I’d probably just opt for American over Frontier if the fares are similar. However, I like Frontier when I can get roundtrip to Florida for under $100. Used them twice to get to RSW from PWM for $100 for a quick getaway for two. The non-stop cut two hours off making s connection on a legacy. And if they cancel on me and I’m stuck in Florida a few days before I can get on another flight, I’m fine with that during winter!
 
WNflyer1523
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:57 pm

How's Spirit doing at MHT?

If they're doing well, can anyone see them expanding to new places come spring-summer from MHT?

I could see less than daily ATL, BNA, RDU, and a wild card but LAS
 
N649DL
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:29 am

People probably dont recall but UA was flying 757s on MHT-ORD through 2007. I flew a DL 73G on ATL-BTV in July 2019 and it was packed. It was such a crazy landing on that plane, so happy I did it. Back in the day CO had no problem doing daily M80 service to EWR from MDT, so the market is there.

The problem if you ask me? Seasonal activity and airlines not terribly focused on the statistics of the region. Some (EG:BTV) just have raw and outdated gate areas much like boarding a plane in the Caribbean. It's almost like they want to keep the area to regionals now, regardless of demand. It seems like most of New England hasn't been mainline consistent since the USAirways days in the Early 2000s.
 
B595
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:57 am

N649DL wrote:
People probably dont recall but UA was flying 757s on MHT-ORD through 2007. I flew a DL 73G on ATL-BTV in July 2019 and it was packed. It was such a crazy landing on that plane, so happy I did it.

Ok, you got us interested: What was crazy about the landing?

I think you’ll find that a lot of posters here recall the glory days of MHT with UA 757s. The topic comes up a lot.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4258
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:22 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
How's Spirit doing at MHT?

If they're doing well, can anyone see them expanding to new places come spring-summer from MHT?

I could see less than daily ATL, BNA, RDU, and a wild card but LAS


As much as I try to understand what, in my mind, ‘makes sense,’ I’m hardly ever right. The bias for MHT seems north-south flying rather than East-west. But one thing rearing its head now is crew staffing issues. Airlines that otherwise would jump on a route simply can’t because of the crew availability.
 
User avatar
LotsaRunway
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:24 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
How's Spirit doing at MHT?

If they're doing well, can anyone see them expanding to new places come spring-summer from MHT?

I could see less than daily ATL, BNA, RDU, and a wild card but LAS

I think first hand reports have been all over the board, but NK has told the airport that they are pleased with where they are. They are well positioned for the peak florida travel period in the winter/spring.
I don't follow NK much but comparing seat availability (and I know it's a poor marker), the amount of seats unassigned for the MHT flights is about on par with other long established markets. I suspect that they see a lot of ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys in their leisure services.
 
User avatar
LotsaRunway
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:32 pm

chrisnh wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
How's Spirit doing at MHT?

If they're doing well, can anyone see them expanding to new places come spring-summer from MHT?

I could see less than daily ATL, BNA, RDU, and a wild card but LAS


As much as I try to understand what, in my mind, ‘makes sense,’ I’m hardly ever right. The bias for MHT seems north-south flying rather than East-west. But one thing rearing its head now is crew staffing issues. Airlines that otherwise would jump on a route simply can’t because of the crew availability.

I agree that many of the non-Boston New England airports are short on east-west service, but when you think of the stage lengths to higher O&D places like LAS, PHX, LAX, SFO, and even DEN, it's a lot of airplane commitment. NK might come to that once they really have name recognition in the area and consistently high loads on existing flights. Otherwise, not having westbound service to DTW on DL is a big connectivity gap and I can only think that MHT not having it is a Logan hub thing. It's certainly not a big aircraft commitment. Not having even RJ service on UA to ORD is also a head scratcher.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:23 pm

B595 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
People probably dont recall but UA was flying 757s on MHT-ORD through 2007. I flew a DL 73G on ATL-BTV in July 2019 and it was packed. It was such a crazy landing on that plane, so happy I did it.

Ok, you got us interested: What was crazy about the landing?

I think you’ll find that a lot of posters here recall the glory days of MHT with UA 757s. The topic comes up a lot.


DL on ATL-BTV on the 73G was such a rare flight. I was connecting out of AUS on an A321 but the decent into BTV was basically a steep and hard right hand last second turn to make the runway. Not sure how long the runway is in BTV, but I'm assuming not very long. That's probably why the 737-700 was briefly used on the route. As I said, glad I flew it. When I saw it as an option, my gut was like "do it, you'll never have an opportunity like this again." Especially considering flying back to AUS out of BTV was on a CR2 via DTW and the service was miserable by comparison.

Not sure how often the topic of UA 757s going into MHT comes up as I'm new to this thread, but UA has a history of flying 757s to New England airports such as BUF as late as 2009, I believe. Even in 2007, I recall UA on BTV-ORD briefly became all mainline on A320s for some reason and then dropped them for many years on the route. To this day, I'm not sure what UA was trying to pull using the 757 on MHT-ORD when the BOS base is so close.

Departed flights also says DL briefly operated a 757 on PWM-BOS sometime in the 1990s. Another extreme rarity, wish UA would've done that at PWM with the 757 to ORD or IAD.

Another interesting (and current) flight for January, UA operating IAD-SYR on the A319.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:25 pm

N649DL wrote:
B595 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
People probably dont recall but UA was flying 757s on MHT-ORD through 2007. I flew a DL 73G on ATL-BTV in July 2019 and it was packed. It was such a crazy landing on that plane, so happy I did it.

Ok, you got us interested: What was crazy about the landing?

I think you’ll find that a lot of posters here recall the glory days of MHT with UA 757s. The topic comes up a lot.


DL on ATL-BTV on the 73G was such a rare flight. I was connecting out of AUS on an A321 but the decent into BTV was basically a steep and hard right hand last second turn to make the runway. Not sure how long the runway is in BTV, but I'm assuming not very long. That's probably why the 737-700 was briefly used on the route. As I said, glad I flew it. When I saw it as an option, my gut was like "do it, you'll never have an opportunity like this again." Especially considering flying back to AUS out of BTV was on a CR2 via DTW and the service was miserable by comparison.

Not sure how often the topic of UA 757s going into MHT comes up as I'm new to this thread, but UA has a history of flying 757s to New England airports such as BUF as late as 2009, I believe. Even in 2007, I recall UA on BTV-ORD briefly became all mainline on A320s for some reason and then dropped them for many years on the route. To this day, I'm not sure what UA was trying to pull using the 757 on MHT-ORD when the BOS base is so close.

Departed flights also says DL briefly operated a 757 on PWM-BOS sometime in the 1990s. Another extreme rarity, wish UA would've done that at PWM with the 757 to ORD or IAD.

Another interesting (and current) flight for January, UA operating IAD-SYR on the A319.


I never flew a United 757 out of MHT, but I did use to catch the late morning United 727 flight from PWM to ORD with a stop at MHT. Late 1990s.

During the late 80s I flew on United 737-300 on ORD-BGR-PWM. And during the early 80s, the ORD-PWM flight at first stopped at BTV before becoming non-stop. 727s

Yes, Delta used to fly the 757 from PWM to Boston and CVG. And perhaps LGA! (but I forgot with that one?) I remember DL 757 at PWM by 1986. I flew them between PWM and Boston numerous times. As well as on many 727s. Mainline DL to Boston and New York LGA stopped around 1994 or ‘95 . Then Business Express took over the routes from PWM.

Another interesting Delta route in the mid 90s was CVG-PWM-BGR-PWM-CVG on the MD-88. And prior to nonstop PWM to ATL, starting around 1999, it was a DL 727 flying PWM-ALB-ATL early morning, with the reverse route ATL-ALB-PWM arriving around midnight.

CO was flying mainline MD-80, 737-200/300 and 727 to PWM from EWR until 1998.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:40 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
N649DL wrote:
B595 wrote:
Ok, you got us interested: What was crazy about the landing?

I think you’ll find that a lot of posters here recall the glory days of MHT with UA 757s. The topic comes up a lot.


DL on ATL-BTV on the 73G was such a rare flight. I was connecting out of AUS on an A321 but the decent into BTV was basically a steep and hard right hand last second turn to make the runway. Not sure how long the runway is in BTV, but I'm assuming not very long. That's probably why the 737-700 was briefly used on the route. As I said, glad I flew it. When I saw it as an option, my gut was like "do it, you'll never have an opportunity like this again." Especially considering flying back to AUS out of BTV was on a CR2 via DTW and the service was miserable by comparison.

Not sure how often the topic of UA 757s going into MHT comes up as I'm new to this thread, but UA has a history of flying 757s to New England airports such as BUF as late as 2009, I believe. Even in 2007, I recall UA on BTV-ORD briefly became all mainline on A320s for some reason and then dropped them for many years on the route. To this day, I'm not sure what UA was trying to pull using the 757 on MHT-ORD when the BOS base is so close.

Departed flights also says DL briefly operated a 757 on PWM-BOS sometime in the 1990s. Another extreme rarity, wish UA would've done that at PWM with the 757 to ORD or IAD.

Another interesting (and current) flight for January, UA operating IAD-SYR on the A319.


I never flew a United 757 out of MHT, but I did use to catch the late morning United 727 flight from PWM to ORD with a stop at MHT. Late 1990s.

During the late 80s I flew on United 737-300 on ORD-BGR-PWM. And during the early 80s, the ORD-PWM flight at first stopped at BTV before becoming non-stop. 727s

Yes, Delta used to fly the 757 from PWM to Boston and CVG. And perhaps LGA! (but I forgot with that one?) I remember DL 757 at PWM by 1986. I flew them between PWM and Boston numerous times. As well as on many 727s. Mainline DL to Boston and New York LGA stopped around 1994 or ‘95 . Then Business Express took over the routes from PWM.

Another interesting Delta route in the mid 90s was CVG-PWM-BGR-PWM-CVG on the MD-88. And prior to nonstop PWM to ATL, starting around 1999, it was a DL 727 flying PWM-ALB-ATL early morning, with the reverse route ATL-ALB-PWM arriving around midnight.

CO was flying mainline MD-80, 737-200/300 and 727 to PWM from EWR until 1998.


I actually flew CO on EWR-MHT on an M80 in 1999 in F. My Dad had miles with them so myself, Sister, and Dad were all up front on the short flight.

I think it actually happened again in 2001 because of a cancelled ATR on EWR-PWM and were rerouted on EWR-MHT but it was mainline (going to summer camp) and drove to Maine but my memory is foggy on this one. It might've been on a 738 actually.

And of course, flying B6 on an A320 on PWM-JFK after a wedding in 2010 while extremely hungover. The girl I made out with (Groom's Cousin) was in row 1, while myself and my Dad were in the back. Awkward as hell while running into her seated while boarding. That was a funny trip because I flew up from RDU visiting a friend from college who was in the Army (living in LAX) and the DL flight from ATL-EWR got changed from an M90 to an M88 but I was still seated in F. I remember asking for a glass of wine before landing to the F/A and he handed it to me in a Styrofoam cup. Also what was interesting was the LAX-ATL flight on the DL 763 was heading to ANC after that. I do remember being ticked off because I really wanted to be on the M90 flying to EWR and see the IFE system before it got dismantled.
Last edited by N649DL on Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: The Rest of New England he (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:42 pm

USair also flew numerous daily DC-9, MD-80, 737-200/300/400, Fokker 100 on PWM to PIT, PHL, and even BOS and DCA for a short time.

Northwest arrived in 1999 with service to DTW on DC-9. TW also arrived that year with one flight a day on MD-80. PWM-BDL-STL in morning. Reverse late at night.

United also flew 737-200/300 and 727 to IAD

Bar Habor airlines -later operating as Eastern Express and based at BGR- had a large Northeast regional Network. In Maine, there was also Valley Airlines in the 70s and 80s. Flying inter Maine routes from PWM as far north as Frenchville airport. I don’t remember if they used twin Cessnas or Beech 99 turbprops? You could even fly out of LEW and WVL on Bar Harbor/Eastern Express to Boston through the mid 1980s. Both Buisnes Express and Northwest Airlink were flying to AUG from BOS and PQI in early 1990s. They also flew PWM to Quebec City with Saturday only service on a Metroliner during this period

And if you go way back to 1973, Delta used to fly DC-9 to PQI from PWM and Boston. They took that route over from Northeast when Delta merged with them. (Remember Loring Air Force Base was open then and had about 15,000 people stationed there)
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 11245
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:41 am

N649DL wrote:
People probably dont recall but UA was flying 757s on MHT-ORD through 2007. I flew a DL 73G on ATL-BTV in July 2019 and it was packed. It was such a crazy landing on that plane, so happy I did it. Back in the day CO had no problem doing daily M80 service to EWR from MDT, so the market is there.

The problem if you ask me? Seasonal activity and airlines not terribly focused on the statistics of the region. Some (EG:BTV) just have raw and outdated gate areas much like boarding a plane in the Caribbean. It's almost like they want to keep the area to regionals now, regardless of demand. It seems like most of New England hasn't been mainline consistent since the USAirways days in the Early 2000s.


(For PWM especially) the market has fragmented. Instead of flying mainline to a hub and connecting, people can fly nonstop, though often on 2-class RJs. There's no reason to lament that.
 
TucsonDave
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:52 pm

When UA began flying to BTV, MHT and BGR, they did the flights with a stop in SYR. I recall seeing signs at the SYR UA counter and gate promoting special fares SYR-BGR.
 
TucsonDave
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:53 pm

When UA began flying to BTV, MHT and BGR, they did the flights with a stop in SYR. I recall seeing signs at the SYR UA counter and gate promoting special fares SYR-BGR.
 
TucsonDave
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:56 pm

Duplicate. Please delete.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4258
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:11 am

A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).
 
airlineworker
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:36 am

chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


We don't see circle routes anymore such as the one you cite. Years ago DL had many in the deep south using one flight to connect two cities with ATL with MD-80's. Seems to have fallen out of favor with the airlines.
 
mjgbtv
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:18 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:08 pm

chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


ORD-BTV-BGR also. That probably came after MHT-BTV-ORD.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:48 am

TucsonDave wrote:
When UA began flying to BTV, MHT and BGR, they did the flights with a stop in SYR. I recall seeing signs at the SYR UA counter and gate promoting special fares SYR-BGR.


I like to think of myself an expert on PWM history 1980-present and, I’ve never heard of the ORD-SYR-PWM flight. Only ORD-BTV-PWM when United came to PWM in 1984, and ORD-BGR-PWM in later 1980s. Which I flew on once in 1988 or ‘89. We flew UA on JAN-MEM-ORD-BGR-PWM on 727s and 737-300. (JAN hasn’t had mainline United in about thirty years)

I believe you, though. Thanks for sharing the tidbit. interesting.

United came to Maine in 1984 when they were offering service to all 50 states. Even Delaware had mainline UA at Wilmington.

chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


PWM-MHT is my shortest ever mainline flight. Flew it on a UA 727 Nov 1998. Less than 15 minutes and 70ish miles.

I also flew on loads of DL 727s and 757s on BOS-PWM in throughout the 1980s and early 1990s when I was a kid flying to MEM by way of PWM-BOS/LGA-ATL-MEM. Took 25 minutes or less and had full breakfast service in economy with pancakes, eggs, sausage.

I always wanted to fly the PWM-BGR-PWM leg with DL on the -88 back in the mid 1990s. But I never got to.

It use to fly CVG-PWM-BGR-PWM-CVG under one flight number. I’d watch it leave PWM for BGR, and the plane was back less than two hour later.

At one time before my time, 1970s, DL use to fly ORD-DTW-BTV-PWM. It was either 727-2 or DC-9-30. I think that was just before deregulation?

airlineworker wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


We don't see circle routes anymore such as the one you cite. Years ago DL had many in the deep south using one flight to connect two cities with ATL with MD-80's. Seems to have fallen out of favor with the airlines.



They were known as the milk runs. With a large family presence in Mississippi, traveling frequently from PWM to JAN and MEM on DL in the 1980s and 90s, I remember such routes as ATL-BHM-JAN-BTR/SHV-DFW. MSY-JAN-MEM-ATL. MEM and HSV use to have these kind of southeast routes, too. Can’t remember all the exact combinations. But I remember getting on flights in MEM and JAN and seeing the city pairings on the board for whichever flight was being serviced behind the boarding gate. Hop scotching around the southeast out of ATL and DFW DL hubs.

DL was the airline of the South. When NW started their MEM hub in 1986, after buying Republic, they also had some milk run routes around the southeast. Although, ultimately a lot of those NW mainline routes out of MEM went to Northwest Airlinl on Saabs and Jetstream -31 by the early 1990s.
 
B595
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:08 am

mjgbtv wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


ORD-BTV-BGR also. That probably came after MHT-BTV-ORD.

Interestingly, at one point UA ran BTV-BGR and BTV-MHT in parallel, both with 722s. This can be seen in the 15 Dec. 1989 OAG on departedflights. If memory serves, BTV-MHT soldiered on longer than BTV-BGR, with the 722 eventually being replaced by the 733.
 
B595
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:17 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
At one time before my time, 1970s, DL use to fly ORD-DTW-BTV-PWM. It was either 727-2 or DC-9-30. I think that was just before deregulation?

DL also flew BTV-MHT for a stint, as shown in the OAG for 1975. So they experimented with the tags from BTV to -PWM and -MHT in the same way as UA did 10-15 years later.
 
TucsonDave
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:01 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
TucsonDave wrote:
When UA began flying to BTV, MHT and BGR, they did the flights with a stop in SYR. I recall seeing signs at the SYR UA counter and gate promoting special fares SYR-BGR.


I like to think of myself an expert on PWM history 1980-present and, I’ve never heard of the ORD-SYR-PWM flight. Only ORD-BTV-PWM when United came to PWM in 1984, and ORD-BGR-PWM in later 1980s. Which I flew on once in 1988 or ‘89. We flew UA on JAN-MEM-ORD-BGR-PWM on 727s and 737-300. (JAN hasn’t had mainline United in about thirty years)

I believe you, though. Thanks for sharing the tidbit. interesting.

United came to Maine in 1984 when they were offering service to all 50 states. Even Delaware had mainline UA at Wilmington.

chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


PWM-MHT is my shortest ever mainline flight. Flew it on a UA 727 Nov 1998. Less than 15 minutes and 70ish miles.

I also flew on loads of DL 727s and 757s on BOS-PWM in throughout the 1980s and early 1990s when I was a kid flying to MEM by way of PWM-BOS/LGA-ATL-MEM. Took 25 minutes or less and had full breakfast service in economy with pancakes, eggs, sausage.

I always wanted to fly the PWM-BGR-PWM leg with DL on the -88 back in the mid 1990s. But I never got to.

It use to fly CVG-PWM-BGR-PWM-CVG under one flight number. I’d watch it leave PWM for BGR, and the plane was back less than two hour later.

At one time before my time, 1970s, DL use to fly ORD-DTW-BTV-PWM. It was either 727-2 or DC-9-30. I think that was just before deregulation?

airlineworker wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


We don't see circle routes anymore such as the one you cite. Years ago DL had many in the deep south using one flight to connect two cities with ATL with MD-80's. Seems to have fallen out of favor with the airlines.



They were known as the milk runs. With a large family presence in Mississippi, traveling frequently from PWM to JAN and MEM on DL in the 1980s and 90s, I remember such routes as ATL-BHM-JAN-BTR/SHV-DFW. MSY-JAN-MEM-ATL. MEM and HSV use to have these kind of southeast routes, too. Can’t remember all the exact combinations. But I remember getting on flights in MEM and JAN and seeing the city pairings on the board for whichever flight was being serviced behind the boarding gate. Hop scotching around the southeast out of ATL and DFW DL hubs.

DL was the airline of the South. When NW started their MEM hub in 1986, after buying Republic, they also had some milk run routes around the southeast. Although, ultimately a lot of those NW mainline routes out of MEM went to Northwest Airlinl on Saabs and Jetstream -31 by the early 1990s.


To clarify, I was only speaking of UA service via SYR to BTV, MHT, and BGR. I did not mention PWM, nor do I ever recall any service between SYR and PWM.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:39 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
TucsonDave wrote:
When UA began flying to BTV, MHT and BGR, they did the flights with a stop in SYR. I recall seeing signs at the SYR UA counter and gate promoting special fares SYR-BGR.


I like to think of myself an expert on PWM history 1980-present and, I’ve never heard of the ORD-SYR-PWM flight. Only ORD-BTV-PWM when United came to PWM in 1984, and ORD-BGR-PWM in later 1980s. Which I flew on once in 1988 or ‘89. We flew UA on JAN-MEM-ORD-BGR-PWM on 727s and 737-300. (JAN hasn’t had mainline United in about thirty years)

I believe you, though. Thanks for sharing the tidbit. interesting.

United came to Maine in 1984 when they were offering service to all 50 states. Even Delaware had mainline UA at Wilmington.

chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


PWM-MHT is my shortest ever mainline flight. Flew it on a UA 727 Nov 1998. Less than 15 minutes and 70ish miles.

I also flew on loads of DL 727s and 757s on BOS-PWM in throughout the 1980s and early 1990s when I was a kid flying to MEM by way of PWM-BOS/LGA-ATL-MEM. Took 25 minutes or less and had full breakfast service in economy with pancakes, eggs, sausage.

I always wanted to fly the PWM-BGR-PWM leg with DL on the -88 back in the mid 1990s. But I never got to.

It use to fly CVG-PWM-BGR-PWM-CVG under one flight number. I’d watch it leave PWM for BGR, and the plane was back less than two hour later.

At one time before my time, 1970s, DL use to fly ORD-DTW-BTV-PWM. It was either 727-2 or DC-9-30. I think that was just before deregulation?

airlineworker wrote:

We don't see circle routes anymore such as the one you cite. Years ago DL had many in the deep south using one flight to connect two cities with ATL with MD-80's. Seems to have fallen out of favor with the airlines.



They were known as the milk runs. With a large family presence in Mississippi, traveling frequently from PWM to JAN and MEM on DL in the 1980s and 90s, I remember such routes as ATL-BHM-JAN-BTR/SHV-DFW. MSY-JAN-MEM-ATL. MEM and HSV use to have these kind of southeast routes, too. Can’t remember all the exact combinations. But I remember getting on flights in MEM and JAN and seeing the city pairings on the board for whichever flight was being serviced behind the boarding gate. Hop scotching around the southeast out of ATL and DFW DL hubs.

DL was the airline of the South. When NW started their MEM hub in 1986, after buying Republic, they also had some milk run routes around the southeast. Although, ultimately a lot of those NW mainline routes out of MEM went to Northwest Airlinl on Saabs and Jetstream -31 by the early 1990s.


To clarify, I was only speaking of UA service via SYR to BTV, MHT, and BGR. I did not mention PWM, nor do I ever recall any service between SYR and PWM.


My bad. Not sure how I confused PWM and BGR. you’re right, you did say SYR-BGR
 
PVDCMHOZ
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:24 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19 am

Don’t forget the DL BGR-PVD-ATL run from the mid 1990s. I am also old enough to remember, way back when I worked for UA in PVD, that we had 4x 757s to ORD (3 757s and a 722) and 4x J41s to IAD. Later it became 5x to ORD with mostly 722s and a 757.

Back even further, EA had a collection of interesting tag-ons from PVD:

EA Examples from back in the day:
PVD-BDL-ATL (may have been MIA not 100% sure)
PVD-ISP-ATL via a shiny new (at the time) 757 or a 72S - this was short lived.

PVD EA Schedule:

http://www.departedflights.com/EA083187p132.html
 
lat41
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:46 pm

PVDCMHOZ wrote:
Don’t forget the DL BGR-PVD-ATL run from the mid 1990s. I am also old enough to remember, way back when I worked for UA in PVD, that we had 4x 757s to ORD (3 757s and a 722) and 4x J41s to IAD. Later it became 5x to ORD with mostly 722s and a 757.

Back even further, EA had a collection of interesting tag-ons from PVD:

EA Examples from back in the day:
PVD-BDL-ATL (may have been MIA not 100% sure)
PVD-ISP-ATL via a shiny new (at the time) 757 or a 72S - this was short lived.

PVD EA Schedule:

http://www.departedflights.com/EA083187p132.html

The same flight #s for years EA 181/182 PVD BDL MIA would change over to 888/879 nonstop MIA early DEC until MAY 1.
The morning N/S to ATL and evening return 727/546 also were around for years. If you worked for EA or travel agent, those #s and others remain printed in your brain.
 
PVD757
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:37 pm

PVDCMHOZ wrote:
Don’t forget the DL BGR-PVD-ATL run from the mid 1990s. I am also old enough to remember, way back when I worked for UA in PVD, that we had 4x 757s to ORD (3 757s and a 722) and 4x J41s to IAD. Later it became 5x to ORD with mostly 722s and a 757.

Back even further, EA had a collection of interesting tag-ons from PVD:

EA Examples from back in the day:
PVD-BDL-ATL (may have been MIA not 100% sure)
PVD-ISP-ATL via a shiny new (at the time) 757 or a 72S - this was short lived.

PVD EA Schedule:

http://www.departedflights.com/EA083187p132.html


When DL launched PVD in 1990, they ran that BGR tag from ATL through mid 1994. They brought the ATL tag back on 10/1/96, the same day they started “Delta Express” service on their 737-200’s. It lasted through 4/3/99.
 
PVD757
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:44 pm

B595 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
A common flight I took several times was United 1230, which went ORD-PWM-MHT-ORD. I’ve also been on flights that went MHT-BTV-ORD. BGR-MHT-ORD was another. These were in the 727/737 days (mid to late 1980s and into the 1990s).


ORD-BTV-BGR also. That probably came after MHT-BTV-ORD.

Interestingly, at one point UA ran BTV-BGR and BTV-MHT in parallel, both with 722s. This can be seen in the 15 Dec. 1989 OAG on departedflights. If memory serves, BTV-MHT soldiered on longer than BTV-BGR, with the 722 eventually being replaced by the 733.


PVD was part of UA’s New England tags in the 80’s as well. They ran ORD-PVD-PWM from 7/1/83 through mid 1984. It switched to MHT through the end of 1986 and then back to PWM in the summer of 1987. My UA timetable collection still has a bunch of missing issues but the only other tag I can see was for the Holiday season 1996 schedule where the PWM tag reappeared for a few weeks.
 
PVD757
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:55 pm

PVDCMHOZ wrote:
Don’t forget the DL BGR-PVD-ATL run from the mid 1990s. I am also old enough to remember, way back when I worked for UA in PVD, that we had 4x 757s to ORD (3 757s and a 722) and 4x J41s to IAD. Later it became 5x to ORD with mostly 722s and a 757.

Back even further, EA had a collection of interesting tag-ons from PVD:

EA Examples from back in the day:
PVD-BDL-ATL (may have been MIA not 100% sure)
PVD-ISP-ATL via a shiny new (at the time) 757 or a 72S - this was short lived.

PVD EA Schedule:

http://www.departedflights.com/EA083187p132.html


EA might have been the king of PVD tags. They ran up to 4-5 flights to BDL that would continue to ATL, MCO, TPA, FLL, and MIA. In 1984 through 1988, they added ISP as a stop en route to/from the south as well.
 
Rhodylee
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:45 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 am

Don’t forget the PVD-BDL Allegheny flights in the 70’s. You could probably make some connections at BDL but I’m guessing most people continued to PIT, PHL, etc.

There were 13 in 1975 - almost a shuttle :-)

http://www.departedflights.com/PVD75p1.html

Departed flights seems very accurate in general, but this page says PVD-ATL flights in 1989 were on Delta. I think these were actually Eastern flights. Seems like when Delta first came to PVD all of their flights were on MD-80’s.

http://www.departedflights.com/PVD89p1.html
 
beertrucker
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:13 pm

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 am

Delta use to do flights from either ATL or CVG to ALB on to PWM also. When I worked in CMH delta 559 or 599 I forget the number now since it was 1997 used to have a flight on a 757 that was daily ATL-CMH-CVG-ATL.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 2761
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:03 pm

Please continue to post your news and your discussion here:

The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2022

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos