Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N292UX
Topic Author

Memphis Aviation - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:01 pm

Welcome to the Memphis Aviation 2021 thread.

Continue from the 2020 thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1438037

WaywardMemphian

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Chick Fil A seems to be confirmed for the new B concourse. As well as a Grizzly branded eatery and a Memphis Made Brewery tap room/pub. (I was hoping for a Wiseacre) Chili's has also been mentioned. It appears any local Memphis BBQ joint will not have a presence of it's own. Some of that doesn't happen till they reach 85% pre covid traffic level.

FromGSPtoChi

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm

What's the latest on phase 2 of the modernization plan? Are they still on track for a "Early 2021" opening? I plan to visit once they'e complete.

https://flymemphis.com/Modernization-Timeline

Juan

chrisinbrasil

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:49 pm

I’ve seen several random DL 757 flights out of MEM lately. Anyone know why?

gdavis003

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:15 pm

chrisinbrasil wrote:

NBA charters, Delta has a fleet of VIP configuration 752s, specifically for the NBA. Memphis has hosted the Pelicans, Thunder, and Pistons this week, and they (likely) all flew on DL 752's into Memphis. They'll always have a callsign of DL88** or DL89** (usually 88** though)

gsg013

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:29 pm

chrisinbrasil wrote:

Most likely NBA related? Most NBA teams including grizzlies charter special DL 757s The interiors are pretty cool the youtube video below has a cabin walk through. Could also be a random an upguage from ATL-MEM for an a321?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsi50Y ... oto%26Film

SELMER40

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 am

The Memphis passenger terminals were closed today, 2-19. No water, Week long low temps/icing caused city pipes to break. All passenger flights are cancelled. Runways and cargo are open. The city is working on the issue.

N292UX
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 pm

AA has been flying 738s on some of the MEM-MIA flights. I'm pretty sure that's the first time AA has flown mainline flights between MEM and MIA. AA will be flying mainline flights to CLT/DFW/MIA/PHX/DCA this summer and LAX and JFK will be the only 2 cities without AA service to MEM.

Runway765

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 am

How is the Concourse B modernization coming? When will it open?

Airventure737

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:27 pm

It looks like it's going well. All of the jet bridges are up and connected. I think it's scheduled for an April opening.

Airventure737

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Hopefully Breeze will start service to MEM sometime this year. Also, Spirit Airlines was going to begin 20 (yes, 20!) flights per day a couple of years ago, but the plan fell through.

BowlingShoeDC9

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
It looks like it's going well. All of the jet bridges are up and connected. I think it's scheduled for an April opening.

Wow thats earlier than I thought it would be. I was hoping I’d be able to fly in around the opening but I doubt it will happen if thats the timeline.

TWA772LR

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:57 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
Hopefully Breeze will start service to MEM sometime this year. Also, Spirit Airlines was going to begin 20 (yes, 20!) flights per day a couple of years ago, but the plan fell through.

I always thought MEM would be a good sized city for an airline with aircraft in the E-jet size. Hopefully this comes true. :)

N292UX
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Airventure737 wrote:

I always thought MEM would be a good sized city for an airline with aircraft in the E-jet size. Hopefully this comes true. :)

Definitely agree MEM can be a good sized city for an E-jets operation. If AA started adding p2p routes at MEM like they are at AUS/BOS, they could easily get MSY/IND/FLL/AUS/RDU to work on E175s. Obviously won't happen on AA but those are some routes I imagine Breeze may look at if they add service to MEM.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:58 pm

N292UX wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Airventure737 wrote:

Definitely agree MEM can be a good sized city for an E-jets operation. If AA started adding p2p routes at MEM like they are at AUS/BOS, they could easily get MSY/IND/FLL/AUS/RDU to work on E175s. Obviously won't happen on AA but those are some routes I imagine Breeze may look at if they add service to MEM.

RSW would be nice.

The ex-AC birds could do Bay Area and SEA till A220s take over

With the massive increase in the number of cruises announced between Memphis and New Orleans in 2022 and 2023 there needs to be a good air shuttle back and forth and eventually STL in there as well.

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:31 am

I would expect WN to add MEM-STL or MCI at some point.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I would expect WN to add MEM-STL or MCI at some point.

This just one (American Steamboat)of the now three companies that are players in the river cruising department.

The company plans to offer 39 trips between Memphis and New Orleans this year, then 32 trips are scheduled between the two ports next year. But there will be a big change in 2023, when American Queen plans to have 61 trips between Memphis and New Orleans.

On the 2023 schedule, 28 trips will follow a Memphis-to-New Orleans route and the rest will depart from New Orleans and conclude in Memphis, a company spokeswoman said.

When you add up the others you are approaching 100 or so arrival and departures in 2023.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:12 pm

MEM shared some new photos of the Modernization of B
https://flymemphis.com/modernization-images/

The stark difference between it and the untouched Southwest Hall of B shows how much of an approvement this is. Pre Covid there was already talk of how it should have done the Southwest Hall as well. They should have at least done the shell itself., air bridges and other stuff could have been added as needed but it would have assured that it would be the same and locked in the heavy lifting in today's dollars and not tomorrow's. Now there's the chance it could become a hodge podge.of competjbg architectural styles.

Runway765

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:15 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

The stark difference between it and the untouched Southwest Hall of B shows how much of an approvement this is. Pre Covid there was already talk of how it should have done the Southwest Hall as well. They should have at least done the shell itself., air bridges and other stuff could have been added as needed but it would have assured that it would be the same and locked in the heavy lifting in today's dollars and not tomorrow's. Now there's the chance it could become a hodge podge.of competjbg architectural styles.

Looks really nice, but I agree they should have done it all at once. In fact, they should have just gone for a full demolition and rebuild of B rather than this piecemeal approach. Also think they should just demolish all of A and C since they won’t be needed for decades.

Why are the moving sidewalks raised?

Next up should be a redesign/remodel of the actual terminal building. That badly needs to be modernized.

BowlingShoeDC9

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 pm

Runway765 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Looks really nice, but I agree they should have done it all at once. In fact, they should have just gone for a full demolition and rebuild of B rather than this piecemeal approach. Also think they should just demolish all of A and C since they won’t be needed for decades.

Why are the moving sidewalks raised?

Next up should be a redesign/remodel of the actual terminal building. That badly needs to be modernized.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there isn’t room underneath for the mechanical systems for the moving walkway. IIRC, the walkways going from the terminal to A and C are like that as well. From my understanding the ground floor of the terminal is still the same as the old one, but the “second floor” where all the people will be got removed and replaced.

If they do redo the terminal, I just hope they keep the martini glass columns.

410W24

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:37 pm

It seems that the Memphis airport terminal will remain a hodgepodge even after this modernization is completed. The narrow corridors, low ceilings and brown brick still dominate except in the remodeled concourse. Hopefully there will be a few more restaurants and better amenities.

What MEM desperately needs is more passengers and more flights. With around 70 total flights per day it’s hard to fly anywhere nonstop except to hub cities for onward connections.

Runway765

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:59 pm

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
From my understanding the ground floor of the terminal is still the same as the old one, but the “second floor” where all the people will be got removed and replaced.

Yes. This is why I said they should have just fully demolished and rebuilt B instead of the piecemeal approach.

They also should just go ahead and fully demolish A and C as well. It will be decades before they need to be re-activated. By the time they do, they’ll be so old that demolition and rebuild will be the only viable option.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Everything will be confined within the new 2/3rds of B.

Here's the thing, If I'm an airline and I need 4 to 5 gates, say a breeze in 5 years time, all hypothetical of course and that was possible in the new part of B. I'd choose A cause they improved it to moved Delta with Southwest over there for this project over the existing Soithweat hall of B.

BowlingShoeDC9

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:54 pm

Runway765 wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
From my understanding the ground floor of the terminal is still the same as the old one, but the “second floor” where all the people will be got removed and replaced.

Yes. This is why I said they should have just fully demolished and rebuilt B instead of the piecemeal approach.

They also should just go ahead and fully demolish A and C as well. It will be decades before they need to be re-activated. By the time they do, they’ll be so old that demolition and rebuild will be the only viable option.

From a theoretical standpoint, I don’t disagree with you. However given the reality of budget constraints and de-hubbing I can understand why they made the choice to keep the old base of the concourse. I would imagine it saved money and time. And at the end of the day it’s not something that even 1% of people would ever come into contact with beyond that one oddity of elevated moving walkways.

Isn’t Concourse A supposed to still be kind of open to support Southern Airways Express?

Runway765

Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:52 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Here's the thing, If I'm an airline and I need 4 to 5 gates, say a breeze in 5 years time, all hypothetical of course and that was possible in the new part of B. I'd choose A cause they improved it to moved Delta with Southwest over there for this project over the existing Soithweat hall of B.

Why would they do that when MEM wants to consolidate the airlines in B?

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
From a theoretical standpoint, I don’t disagree with you. However given the reality of budget constraints and de-hubbing I can understand why they made the choice to keep the old base of the concourse. I would imagine it saved money and time. And at the end of the day it’s not something that even 1% of people would ever come into contact with beyond that one oddity of elevated moving walkways.

Isn’t Concourse A supposed to still be kind of open to support Southern Airways Express?

I suppose you’re right, but it is still old underlying infrastructure though that will get more expensive to maintain over time. It’s almost always better to build new in these situations rather than retrofit.

Yes, they are keeping 2 positions open in A for ground boarding. Why, I do not know, it would make more sense to put those in the SW leg of B. Again, they need to demolish A and C, they won’t be needed for a long time, if ever.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Wouldn't it have made more sense to start with the wing that had CBP access?

phatfarmlines

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:00 pm

Runway765 wrote:

I suppose you’re right, but it is still old underlying infrastructure though that will get more expensive to maintain over time. It’s almost always better to build new in these situations rather than retrofit.

Yes, they are keeping 2 positions open in A for ground boarding. Why, I do not know, it would make more sense to put those in the SW leg of B. Again, they need to demolish A and C, they won’t be needed for a long time, if ever.

Pity that MEM will destroy A and C. I would have thought they would just remove the NW Airlink portion of C that extended south beyond the main ticketing/baggage claim building, just like they did with Concourse A extension, and mothball the rest of A/C.

And speaking of, that means A and C ticketing/baggage facilities will close for good? MEM had an interesting baggage claim setup in A & C with the belts running along the walls and through the escalators. Not a configuration you would see at an airport the size of MEM.

Runway765

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Pity that MEM will destroy A and C. I would have thought they would just remove the NW Airlink portion of C that extended south beyond the main ticketing/baggage claim building, just like they did with Concourse A extension, and mothball the rest of A/C.

And speaking of, that means A and C ticketing/baggage facilities will close for good? MEM had an interesting baggage claim setup in A & C with the belts running along the walls and through the escalators. Not a configuration you would see at an airport the size of MEM.

They are not demolishing A and C, just the far southern portion of C. I said they should demolish them though because they aren’t going to need them for decades.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Runway765 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

They are not demolishing A and C, just the far southern portion of C. I said they should demolish them though because they aren’t going to need them for decades.

It isn't too far fethched to see a future date of airlines being broken up over anti-trust issues. The pillaging of customers has gone on too long since the HP/US merger and the rest followed. We could see a resurgence of smaller hubs.

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! Some carrier wanting to come to MEM with 50-60 flights!!! You're living decades in the past. The U.S. had too many hubs and MEM (and CVG, STL, PIT...) did not survive the rationalization.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! Some carrier wanting to come to MEM with 50-60 flights!!! You're living decades in the past. The U.S. had too many hubs and MEM (and CVG, STL, PIT...) did not survive the rationalization.

I'll never understand the contempt some people have for cities that aren't on the East/West coasts or Chicsgo.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 am

Runway765 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Not, not demolishing them, 'mothballing' them.

I would say one of them would make a nice pad for an on site land side hotel or 80 to 120 rooms.

Here is an older article about some of the improvements they made to A to temporarily have Delta over there
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... -with.html

And...no one said anything about it being hub.

Here were the gate allotments on the renovated portions of B

Delta- 6 gates
American- 4 gates
United- 3 gates
Air Canada- 1 gate(basically a 4th United but it is listed that way) for 1 and sometimes 2 flights a day pre covid.
Southwest- 3 gates
Allegiant- 2 gates
Frontier- 1 gate

That leave 2 gates on the plan without a supposed owner.

Those are your potential Spirit or Breeze or Avelo or whoever spots. These gates are located between Delta and United. I assume everyone was down for having these gates in their branding regardless of the usage rate. That is why I said what I said about someone wanting 4 or 5 gates with only two available at the 6am hour as Memphis overnighted lots of planes pre covid.

Runway765

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

It isn't too far fethched to see a future date of airlines being broken up over anti-trust issues. The pillaging of customers has gone on too long since the HP/US merger and the rest followed. We could see a resurgence of smaller hubs.

Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Consolidation has stabilized the industry outside of extreme events like COVID and the hubs are now in markets that have enough O&D to support them.

That said, I could see an airline like Breeze setting up shop at MEM. It would make a decent “hub” for them.

Runway765

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:59 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Not, not demolishing them, 'mothballing' them.

I would say one of them would make a nice pad for an on site land side hotel or 80 to 120 rooms.

Here is an older article about some of the improvements they made to A to temporarily have Delta over there
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... -with.html

And...no one said anything about it being hub.

Here were the gate allotments on the renovated portions of B

Delta- 6 gates
American- 4 gates
United- 3 gates
Air Canada- 1 gate(basically a 4th United but it is listed that way) for 1 and sometimes 2 flights a day pre covid.
Southwest- 3 gates
Allegiant- 2 gates
Frontier- 1 gate

That leave 2 gates on the plan without a supposed owner.

Those are your potential Spirit or Breeze or Avelo or whoever spots. These gates are located between Delta and United. I assume everyone was down for having these gates in their branding regardless of the usage rate. That is why I said what I said about someone wanting 4 or 5 gates with only two available at the 6am hour as Memphis overnighted lots of planes pre covid.

Give the remaining two to NK and then modernize the SW leg for Breeze and B6.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 am

This has never been claimed by Fed Ex and it's been silent since 2019...

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... angar.html

That grant, which MEM officials announced on Monday, January 28, will go toward site design and development for a future, 65,000-square-foot MRO facility. That facility would be used by an airline operating at the airport

rexchase12

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 am

Where does the sports teams (NBA, NCAA, etc.) that come to/from MEM board/deplane from? Signature? Or the terminal?

BowlingShoeDC9

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 pm

rexchase12 wrote:
Where does the sports teams (NBA, NCAA, etc.) that come to/from MEM board/deplane from? Signature? Or the terminal?

I think its signature. I know for a fact that they don’t go to the terminals.

Airventure737

Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm

I think its signature. I know for a fact that they don’t go to the terminals.

NBA and NCAA teams use Wilson Air.

TTailedTiger

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:42 am

Is there a website that gives the history of the MEM facilities?

Was Concourse B built out during the Republic days or did it come after the merger with Northwest? I know the RJ wing of Concourse A wasn't added until 2000. Did Republic operate a lounge or did that only come after Northwest took over?

WaywardMemphian

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 am

The Y shape was there at the opening

https://www.airporthistory.org/blue-con ... arly-1960s

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Was Concourse B built out during the Republic days or did it come after the merger with Northwest? I know the RJ wing of Concourse A wasn't added until 2000. Did Republic operate a lounge or did that only come after Northwest took over?

I'm going off memory here, but the A and C terminals at MEM were both constructed in the very early 1970's, and opened in 1972. Prior to this of course, all airlines used the central, or B concourse. I suspect that all the B gates were fitted with jet bridges by the time the side terminals opened in 1973. Republic was the result of the merger of North Central and Southern Airways. I do recall Southern using gates in the Western dog-leg of B in the mid-70's. When Republic entered the picture, their gates jumped over to the Eastern part of the Y, and United had 3 gates on the Western part. I do not recall a Republic lounge, I think NW was the first to operate a lounge at MEM.

Runway765

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm going off memory here, but the A and C terminals at MEM were both constructed in the very early 1970's, and opened in 1972. Prior to this of course, all airlines used the central, or B concourse. I suspect that all the B gates were fitted with jet bridges by the time the side terminals opened in 1973. Republic was the result of the merger of North Central and Southern Airways. I do recall Southern using gates in the Western dog-leg of B in the mid-70's. When Republic entered the picture, their gates jumped over to the Eastern part of the Y, and United had 3 gates on the Western part. I do not recall a Republic lounge, I think NW was the first to operate a lounge at MEM.

This website is a great tool to use for historical satellite images.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

If you search Memphis International Airport and go to the 1971 image, it shows A & C being under construction.

TheGov

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:58 am

Relying on memory (which is a bad thing), I went to MEM in late '84 or very early '85 to try out my new camera. All three concourses were built, but B wasn't fully utilized. If I recall correctly, United, Piedmont and USAir were in B. Piedmont had gate 1, while United had gates 3 and 5 (I don't recall who had 2 and 4). USAir was relegated to one of the gates on the east side just past the Y. It seems like Royal and Britt were using the west end of the Y. All in all, there were less than 10 jetways on the whole of the B concourse, almost all before the Y.

All of A was occupied by Delta with ASA having the north end of the terminal.

Terminal C was used by Air Atlanta, TWA, American and Eastern (they flew off and on to MEM)

As for the onset of the Republic hub, their first day of operation was June 1, 1985. By that time, there were jetways all over concourse B. I don't believe that Piedmont nor United were forced to move right away. USAir, however, relocated their gate to C. Their ticket counter remained in the B terminal.

Two points of interest, however: In the early 70's, Braniff operated a number of flights out of MEM and prior to their merger with Republic, Northwest never served MEM.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:04 pm

TheGov wrote:
Relying on memory (which is a bad thing), I went to MEM in late '84 or very early '85 to try out my new camera. All three concourses were built, but B wasn't fully utilized. If I recall correctly, United, Piedmont and USAir were in B. Piedmont had gate 1, while United had gates 3 and 5 (I don't recall who had 2 and 4). USAir was relegated to one of the gates on the east side just past the Y. It seems like Royal and Britt were using the west end of the Y. All in all, there were less than 10 jetways on the whole of the B concourse, almost all before the Y.

Two points of interest, however: In the early 70's, Braniff operated a number of flights out of MEM and prior to their merger with Republic, Northwest never served MEM.

Braniff International had Gate 2, and possibly Gate 4. Remember that in the 70's the DCA had perimeter rules that there was almost no nonstop service west of the Mississippi. Both Braniff and AA used MEM as a stopping point on service from DFW to DCA.

Poorpilot

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Any idea if/when DL is going to start the previously postponed MEM-BOS flights? When I looked it up a couple of months ago, it was supposed to start in May, but it looks like it’s been pushed back again.

SELMER40

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Poorpilot wrote:
Any idea if/when DL is going to start the previously postponed MEM-BOS flights? When I looked it up a couple of months ago, it was supposed to start in May, but it looks like it’s been pushed back again.

A 6 hour r/t is expensive. If someone came up with guaranteed revenues, it might happen. The prime season is passing on. It may be time to stop looking for a non-stop flight to BOS. Maybe next year.

Runway765

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:05 pm

SELMER40 wrote:
Poorpilot wrote:

A 6 hour r/t is expensive. If someone came up with guaranteed revenues, it might happen. The prime season is passing on. It may be time to stop looking for a non-stop flight to BOS. Maybe next year.

I wonder why B6 won’t start it

jplatts

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:48 am

Runway765 wrote:

B6 would need to fill an 100-seat E-190 to make MEM-BOS nonstop service work on B6 whereas DL can more easily fill a regional jet with fewer seats on the MEM-BOS route if enough demand is there.

TTailedTiger

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 am

jplatts wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

B6 would need to fill an 100-seat E-190 to make MEM-BOS nonstop service work on B6 whereas DL can more easily fill a regional jet with fewer seats on the MEM-BOS route if enough demand is there.

JetBlue has a big hub at BOS though. They should be able to fill an E190 with a mix of O/D and connections.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:17 am

Not that it matters much but if you look at load factors during 2020 Memphis was a standout performer.

As for JetBlue, the UK is the largest overseas tourist source with over 30k visitors per year pre pandemic. Maybe service should be revisited tconsidering JetBlue's TATL aspirations and, oh say, FLL as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos