Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast

Re: Washington, D.C. Airports (BWI, DCA, IAD) Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:35 pm

jplatts wrote:
I have noticed that IAH, SFO, and SEA are the only remaining WN destinations that have nonstop service out of BWI on a competitor but not on WN, but WN does have nonstop service out of BWI to HOU in Greater Houston and OAK in the San Francisco Bay Area.

WN adding BWI-IAH/SFO nonstop service and WN re-adding BWI-SEA nonstop service might be possibilities once demand recovers as WN has a significant FF base in the Baltimore/Washington region to support BWI-IAH/SFO nonstop service and the return of BWI-SEA nonstop service.

This is probably not going to happen at least not soon but I wish they would start a BWI to GEG flight at least seasonal before corona there was 108 passengers flying daily to all the dc airports so I could see them trying even if it fails it would just be a long flight or BWI to BOI which was the same PDEW

mah584jr

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:37 pm

I saw that IAD is receiving funds for runway reconstruction:

https://simpleflying.com/faa-2021-aip-grants/

Do we know which runway will be reconstructed and when?

UALFAson

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:36 am

blockski wrote:
The Washington Post has a piece on the impending demise of Gate 35X on April 20, and how it got the reputation it did:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

“I think that 35X became a collective legend of perceived misery that wasn’t really there,” says Ostrower. It was a true First-World problem. The bus ride alone, Ostrower says, provided the “best tour of aviation in the U.S., which is usually seen above the wing. You’re eight or 10 feet above the ground and you’re looking out the window down on everything going on underneath you, like a swarm of busy ants trying to make the colony run. [Gate 35X] gets you at the same level. There’s the smell of jet fuel, and you get to watch the people, the rampers, who make aviation happen. It was always a beautiful interaction — the closeness you could have with understanding the complexity of the whole aviation experience.”

This was one of the best pieces of journalism I have read in a while, perfectly capturing the horror and grit of the disgrace that will live in infamy as Gate 35X. The quote you lifted is really a contrarian perspective, looking back through rose-colored glasses. Yes, it is/was kind of fun to be out on the tarmac, but it's the conditions you have to endure to get to that 60-second bus ride: the crowding, the chaos, the noise, the crowding, the heat, the cold, the gas fumes, the crowding...I am as much of an AvGeek as anyone on here, but I'm not sorry to see 35X go.

msp747

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm

blockski wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
blockski wrote:
The old design for Tier 2 had a ton of widebody gates and it's own FIS clearly targeted at connecting international arrivals. I believe the stated goal was to get all of the Star Alliance partners under one roof (or at least the JV partners) and therefore eliminate the lengthy journey for someone doing that VIE-IAD-ALB trip.

The larger conclusion is that they cannot fit all of the desired facilities for the United hub under one roof with the IAD airfield plan: enough gates for the peak hub operation (mainline and RJ), enough sterile gates for both UA and partners, and operate efficiently. The main part of A/B has about 30-32 gates (counting lots of the widebody 'double' gates as one); the old Tier 2 plan called for 44 gates, which is about the most you're going to fit in any linear design.

Likewise, the development of a new Tier 2 addresses two weaknesses of the current design (e.g. gates on top of the C-gates aerotrain, plus extending the other end to the D-gates), plus the opportunity to redevelop the low-A gates to find another solution for regional jets, which avoids the painfully circuitous connections up, up, down, down escalators to get to the Aerotrain. In other words, you can turn that investment into an asset rather than a liability.

What do you propose occurs to the RJ gates then? Even if you redevelop the low-A gates into a modern RJ facility (CLT E Gates, PHL F Gates, etc) you still will have to make a connection via the Aerotrain. The only benefit at that point would be the walk (personally I have never found it troublesome) from the current C station to the C concourse would be reduced.

With the closure of the SLC E Concourse, IAD probably has the nastiest RJ facility in the US.

The long-term plan for the low-A gates would be to demolish and rebuild as mainline gates (just like the B-west extension built about a decade ago). Pre-covid, IAD was basically at capacity in terms of gates during the evening bank for international departures and arrivals; they had talked about adding more gates connected to the sterile corridors.

As far as redesigning the Tier 2 concept, it's possible to add some piers for RJs, but there are some technical hurdles with phasing (e.g. the piers would need to extend to the north, where the existing C/D is, requiring some other transition plan) and that doesn't solve the financial conundrum with Tier 2. It's a massive expense, dependent on UA's willingness to run enough traffic through there to make it work. One strategy would be to try to enable the project to happen incrementally, but the transition from C/D to a new Tier 2 makes that hard. There's also the question of UA's RJ fleet strategy and what kind of facilities they need/want (e.g. contact gates vs. the current setup).

What I'd imagine they could do would be something like this:

1. Build out the rest of the Z gates in a way that can absorb a lot of the RJ needs
2. Demolish the low-A gates, replace with mainline gates. UA can move in here as a 'swing' space from parts of C/D - including for larger RJ flying
3. Close portions of C/D as needed to build Tier 2 in phases (e.g. build the new 'C' first, then 'D' later to ease the cost)

Back to the original question about the potential for an infrastructure bill windfall, perhaps that changes the calculus in a way that allows MWAA to just take on the full expense without a large financial penalty, but I'm not sure that's going to be the focus of the bill (if and when it comes to fruition).

When they do build the C/D gates, I'd imagine they'll be further south of the current concourses, where the C train station currently is. No need to build in phases. One day, you're in the trailer park, the next day, you open a modern facility :lol:

I like your idea of making the Z gates the regional area. I remember that being the spot the regionals used to park in the late 90s. Plus, by the time it was completed, I imagine most of the CR2s will have been retired due to age (wishful thinking on my part... this is UA we're talking about)

blockski

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 pm

msp747 wrote:

When they do build the C/D gates, I'd imagine they'll be further south of the current concourses, where the C train station currently is. No need to build in phases. One day, you're in the trailer park, the next day, you open a modern facility :lol:

I like your idea of making the Z gates the regional area. I remember that being the spot the regionals used to park in the late 90s. Plus, by the time it was completed, I imagine most of the CR2s will have been retired due to age (wishful thinking on my part... this is UA we're talking about)

There's not a construction reason to build in phases, but there may be a financial reason to do so. Trying to break up the cost so it's not a single expense of several billion dollars all at once. Likewise, trying to craft a plan that can be executed incrementally might make the entire project more feasible.

The one way there might be a construction reason to phase in the new Tier 2 would be if you wanted to add piers to serve RJs - those would likely extend to the north, into the space currently occupied by C and D, meaning you can't build them until you've moved out.

izbtmnhd

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 pm

There isn’t enough area at the Z-gates even if MWAA built out beyond the mobile lounge dock to house the majority of the UA regional operation.

While A has 6 “gates” it can house up to 40 regional aircraft if necessary. No way can this be done at Z. Then converting A to mainline gates wouldn’t probably get them enough to make it worth their while.

Don’t really see the advantages of doing this.

blockski

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:14 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
There isn’t enough area at the Z-gates even if MWAA built out beyond the mobile lounge dock to house the majority of the UA regional operation.

While A has 6 “gates” it can house up to 40 regional aircraft if necessary. No way can this be done at Z. Then converting A to mainline gates wouldn’t probably get them enough to make it worth their while.

Don’t really see the advantages of doing this.

The idea is that you won't need to fit 40 fifty-seaters, since ideally, UA won't be flying that many 50 seaters in the future. Some of the larger RJs shift to regular jetbridge gates.

An extension of Z would involve demolishing some of the Mobile Lounge dock, but again - as a part of a larger plan for the airport, the goal would be to shift away from the mobile lounges entirely and use the airport's investment in the aerotrain system.

To go back to the infrastructure stimulus and the focus on climate therein, perhaps that's one avenue for funding that's consistent with what the administration has put out: funding to complete the aerotrain system (including the branch for international arrivals) to allow for permanent retirement of the diesel-powered mobile lounges in favor of electric-powered trains. This would also likely defray a huge portion of the costs for a new C/D.

USAirALB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:36 pm

blockski wrote:
including the branch for international arrivals

Fascinating! Do you have any info/documents to share about the IAB branch?

In all my time looking over MWAA documents regarding Tier 2/D2/the AeroTrain project, I have never come across anything that said that an AeroTrain connection to the IAB was ever part of the plan.

The AeroTrain expansion plans I have seen are to the future Concourse D, the future Concourse E/F (Tier 3) and the new South Terminal.

blockski

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:51 pm

USAirALB wrote:
blockski wrote:

In all my time looking over MWAA documents regarding Tier 2/D2/the AeroTrain project, I have never come across anything that said that an AeroTrain connection to the IAB was ever part of the plan.

The AeroTrain expansion plans I have seen are to the future Concourse D, the future Concourse E/F (Tier 3) and the new South Terminal.

Yes - you can read through the Tier 2 EA: https://metwashairports.com/sites/defau ... t_2002.pdf

The main concept was to have a third APM tunnel moving down the center of the concourses to connect to the IAB and the midfield FIS station in the new Tier 2, enabling the complete retirement of the mobile lounges. The APM system would've been part of the same overall system as the Aerotrain, but with isolated stations to maintain sterility for arriving passengers.

As I understand it, the way it would work for an arriving international passenger at the new Tier 2 would be they deplane, walk through the sterile corridor to the FIS, and if connecting, clear immigration and customs there. If terminating at IAD, they'd catch the APM to the IAB and then proceed through immigration and customs.

You can also see the plan hinted at in the diagrams here: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... _paper.pdf

USAirALB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 pm

blockski wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
blockski wrote:

Yes - you can read through the Tier 2 EA: https://metwashairports.com/sites/defau ... t_2002.pdf

The main concept was to have a third APM tunnel moving down the center of the concourses to connect to the IAB and the midfield FIS station in the new Tier 2, enabling the complete retirement of the mobile lounges. The APM system would've been part of the same overall system as the Aerotrain, but with isolated stations to maintain sterility for arriving passengers.

As I understand it, the way it would work for an arriving international passenger at the new Tier 2 would be they deplane, walk through the sterile corridor to the FIS, and if connecting, clear immigration and customs there. If terminating at IAD, they'd catch the APM to the IAB and then proceed through immigration and customs.

You can also see the plan hinted at in the diagrams here: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... _paper.pdf

Thanks for those documents-I'll have to peruse the EA later. Laughable that we are reviewing a decades old document at this point.

I see in the second document the faded grey lines running parallel to the AeroTrain lines and upon zooming in I see the Tier 1 IAB/Tier 2 IAB/Tier 3 IAB/Tier 4 IAB plan.

I kind of find it strange that they did not construct some kind of starter line APM linking together the IAB with A/B when they originally built the AeroTrain. That would seem to be a high priority to me but I guess MWAA was probably The current bus system from A/B to the IAB is painfully slow and crowded.

It also looks like they plan to expand the current pedestrian tunnel that links the Main Terminal and A/B onto C/D's replacement.

blockski

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:16 pm

USAirALB wrote:
blockski wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Thanks for those documents-I'll have to peruse the EA later. Laughable that we are reviewing a decades old document at this point.

I see in the second document the faded grey lines running parallel to the AeroTrain lines and upon zooming in I see the Tier 1 IAB/Tier 2 IAB/Tier 3 IAB/Tier 4 IAB plan.

I kind of find it strange that they did not construct some kind of starter line APM linking together the IAB with A/B when they originally built the AeroTrain. That would seem to be a high priority to me but I guess MWAA was probably The current bus system from A/B to the IAB is painfully slow and crowded.

It also looks like they plan to expand the current pedestrian tunnel that links the Main Terminal and A/B onto C/D's replacement.

Yes, a pedestrian walk-back tunnel was included in the plans. Makes sense, given DEN's experience on the rare occasion there's a train outage.

As far as international arrivals with the APM, my general understanding is that the reason for cutting things back was the cost. That said, I'm still a bit confused as to why they opted for such an expensive concept from the start (with a total of three APM tunnels). It would've made more sense to at least consider combining sterile and non-sterile passengers in one train. It would require larger stations (at greater expense) with much more complex infrastructure, but it seems far more efficient in terms of tunneling.

USAirALB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 pm

blockski wrote:
It would've made more sense to at least consider combining sterile and non-sterile passengers in one train. It would require larger stations (at greater expense) with much more complex infrastructure, but it seems far more efficient in terms of tunneling.

MIA and SEA use this system IIRC.

I wonder if this still could be accomplished somehow. The Main Terminal station seems like an awful ways away however from the IAB.

capitalflyer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:05 pm

Have noticed this flight
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE2693

I assume Copenhagen is a tech stop? But seems like a long way for a tech stop. Or perhaps a tag that began during pandemic? They parked on a remote stand.

EK231 still is making the trip non-stop looks like 3x/week with the same equipment.

N292UX
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Southern Airways Express is officially returning to IAD. BFD/DUJ/LNS/MGW all begin June 28. These routes are being shifted to IAD from BWI.

blockski

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm

IADFan

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:31 pm

This is a cargo-only flight.

capitalflyer wrote:
Have noticed this flight
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE2693

I assume Copenhagen is a tech stop? But seems like a long way for a tech stop. Or perhaps a tag that began during pandemic? They parked on a remote stand.

EK231 still is making the trip non-stop looks like 3x/week with the same equipment.

jplatts

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm

USAirALB wrote:
None of the PHX flights can be transferred to other beyond-perimeter destinations as the slots are specific to PHX. Ditto for the sole DCA-LAS flight.

If Congress adds extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions, WN seeking a beyond-perimeter slot exemption for DCA-LAS nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) the PDEW of DCA-LAS being 257 passengers per day in 2019, which exceeds the amount of O&D that AA was carrying on DCA-LAS nonstop flights in 2019 (not solely due to the PDEW exceeding the number of seats available on AA DCA-LAS nonstop flights as AA had some connecting traffic onto its DCA-LAS nonstop flights from other East Coast destinations with the AA hub at DCA),
(b) the huge presence that WN has in the DC market (at least prior to the COVID-19 pandemic) due to its BWI hub,
(c) the connecting opportunities that would be there at LAS on WN,
(d) the significant FF base that already WN has in DC, Vegas, and California to support DCA-LAS nonstop service on WN in addition to AA if WN adds LAS-DCA nonstop service, and
(e) DCA-LAS currently lacking nonstop competition out of DCA due to the DCA perimeter rule (even though AA DCA-LAS is in nonstop competition with UA IAD-LAS nonstop service and WN/NK BWI-LAS nonstop service).

WN seeking a beyond-perimeter slot exemption for DCA-PHX is a possibility if Congress adds extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions with AA currently being the only airline that serves DCA nonstop from PHX along with the WN hub on the PHX end and the significant WN presence in both PHX and WAS markets.

I probably would expect WN to seek a beyond-perimeter slot exemption for DCA-DEN if extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions are added with DCA being one of the top remaining destinations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DCA, even though I am unsure if a WN request for DCA-DEN beyond-perimeter slot exemption would get granted with DCA-DEN already having 4x daily nonstops (3x on F9 and 1x on UA).

While there was support for a DCA-SAT beyond-perimeter slot exemption, I am unsure if WN would seek to obtain a DCA-SAT beyond-perimeter slot exemption if Congress adds extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions due to WN more likely to seek beyond-perimeter slot exemptions for beyond-perimeter hubs such as DEN, LAS, and PHX.

I would probably expect DL to seek a beyond-perimeter slot exemption for DCA-SEA if Congress adds extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions due to DL having a hub at SEA and DL's desire to compete against AS in the SEA market.

USAirALB

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Lots of new pictures on TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/washin ... concourse/

First arrival is from Albany. I don't know if it was planned purposefully or it's simply coincidental, but the first arrival into the new B/C Terminal back in 1997 was a US 737 from Albany as well (back when the route was all mainline!).

It looks nice and I think they did a very good job of blending the extension to match with the architectural style of the present terminal, which is why nothing on the extension reads "groundbreaking". The signage of the font is different, although I am disappointed that they didn't take this opportunity to drop the Terminal C moniker or add a alpha-concourse designation to each pier. IMO the opening of the extension makes the wayfinding system of the airport even more confusing.

Will mainline aircraft be able to use the concourse as well? It looks to be at the same elevation as the rest of the concourses, and the jetbridges look like standard ones, as opposed to the RJ jetbridges at CLT/PHL.

Disappointed to see Founding Farmers is no longer going to be opening an outlet on the concourse. IIRC they were one of the original tenants announced.

Edit: If you zoom into the third photo on this page (https://dcist.com/story/21/04/15/heres- ... ooks-like/), you can see each gate on the terminal signage has a shaded-out "E" designation in front of the number. I am wondering if that was the original plan and it was changed, or if they still plan to implement that.

The identifying signage above each gate also looks to be off-centered as if they were leaving room for an "E" placement as well.

bigb

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 pm

USAirALB wrote:
Lots of new pictures on TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/washin ... concourse/

First arrival is from Albany. I don't know if it was planned purposefully or it's simply coincidental, but the first arrival into the new B/C Terminal back in 1997 was a US 737 from Albany as well (back when the route was all mainline!).

It looks nice and I think they did a very good job of blending the extension to match with the architectural style of the present terminal, which is why nothing on the extension reads "groundbreaking". The signage of the font is different, although I am disappointed that they didn't take this opportunity to drop the Terminal C moniker or add a alpha-concourse designation to each pier. IMO the opening of the extension makes the wayfinding system of the airport even more confusing.

Will mainline aircraft be able to use the concourse as well? It looks to be at the same elevation as the rest of the concourses, and the jetbridges look like standard ones, as opposed to the RJ jetbridges at CLT/PHL.

Disappointed to see Founding Farmers is no longer going to be opening an outlet on the concourse. IIRC they were one of the original tenants announced.

Edit: If you zoom into the third photo on this page (https://dcist.com/story/21/04/15/heres- ... ooks-like/), you can see each gate on the terminal signage has a shaded-out "E" designation in front of the number. I am wondering if that was the original plan and it was changed, or if they still plan to implement that.

The identifying signage above each gate also looks to be off-centered as if they were leaving room for an "E" placement as well.

Same height adjustable jetways as the other concourses

Pellegrine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 pm

blockski wrote:

Looks amazing. I can't wait to fly through here.

zippyjet

Re: DC Airports Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Regarding BWI, is there any update on Southwest's maintenance hangar? I thought it was supposed to be nearing completion by now but I don't even think it's been started yet.
The Concourse A six-gate extension looks to be in the final stages. I think the next step after that is to temporarily close A1-A5 to work on the baggage sorting facility.

Yesterday 04/14 we started operating out of A12-A16 or as I call this new area "Upper A Side." A3-4-5 and A 7/9 were closed and seats and monitors removed.

Pellegrine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 pm

USAirALB wrote:

I just hope Legal Seafoods opens back up.....

TEMPO

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 pm

I volunteer at DCA for Traveler’s Aid (before the pandemic, and now having been fully vaccinated, soon to restart). Today, we got this from the management of the non-profit:

There is an important change in terminology to share with our volunteers. Airport management tells us that terminal and concourse renumbering is further down the road so we are asked to use "New Concourse" rather than "Concourse E." We will also focus on calling them only gates 46 - 59. We will look forward to the final renumbering later! I have changed the assignment name for next week and will only use "New Concourse" from now on.

https://wtop.com/gallery/local/bye-35x- ... aded-gate/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... story.html

USAirALB

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:42 am

TEMPO wrote:
I volunteer at DCA for Traveler’s Aid (before the pandemic, and now having been fully vaccinated, soon to restart). Today, we got this from the management of the non-profit:

There is an important change in terminology to share with our volunteers. Airport management tells us that terminal and concourse renumbering is further down the road so we are asked to use "New Concourse" rather than "Concourse E." We will also focus on calling them only gates 46 - 59. We will look forward to the final renumbering later! I have changed the assignment name for next week and will only use "New Concourse" from now on.

Thanks!

The author of the DCIST article I posted above asked a MWAA rep who said the same thing and how the renumbering/renaming is more of a "long-term project" which I am guessing means they are holding off until the new security checkpoints open.

blockski

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:25 pm

USAirALB wrote:
TEMPO wrote:

Thanks!

The author of the DCIST article I posted above asked a MWAA rep who said the same thing and how the renumbering/renaming is more of a "long-term project" which I am guessing means they are holding off until the new security checkpoints open.

That would be a good starting point, but they could also be re-thinking the entire airport wayfinding system.

The odd part about the Terminal A/B/C concept is that how they carried it out for the parking garages, as well. I could see something like Terminal 1 (A) and Terminal 2, or even 2/3 (B/C), with garages named or numbered or something else.

The 'Terminal B and C' concept doesn't make a lot of sense for airlines or curbside drop off., even if you could break it down to the two new checkpoints. Still, it's basically going to be set up so that American will have everything that was part of 'C' while all the others will feed into what was 'B.' My sense is that cars dropping off on the upper roadway are just looking at the airline signs and not the letter designations.

It has more logic for passengers arriving via Metro or parking in the garages, since they funnel into one of the two pedestrian bridges. A simple designation to direct passengers one way or the other is helpful. You don't want to make the whole thing one terminal and have American customers use the wrong pedestrian bridge and end up far from their gates. However, if they're going to use A/B/C/D/E for gates/concourses, it makes less sense to use the same letters for terminals.

Plus, they'll want to have some kind of system that works with any future redevelopment concepts for Terminal A.

capitalflyer

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm

Question, is the proper term "concourse" or "terminal"? My impression is that the entire building is a terminal, with each wing of gates being a concourse. The whole B/C terminal thing is confusing because it is just the same building, just different sets of gates.

capitalflyer

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Interesting note from TPG article

"American’s managing director of DCA operations, Radney Robertson, told TPG that along with the new concourse, the carrier will upgauge all regional flying to two-cabin aircraft, such as the 65 seat CRJ-700, and 76-seat CRJ-900 and Embraer E175."

This means the end of the E45 and CR2 at DCA for AA. Further confirmation of what I think had been announced previously.

capitalflyer

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm

blockski wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
TEMPO wrote:

Thanks!

That would be a good starting point, but they could also be re-thinking the entire airport wayfinding system.

The odd part about the Terminal A/B/C concept is that how they carried it out for the parking garages, as well. I could see something like Terminal 1 (A) and Terminal 2, or even 2/3 (B/C), with garages named or numbered or something else.

The 'Terminal B and C' concept doesn't make a lot of sense for airlines or curbside drop off., even if you could break it down to the two new checkpoints. Still, it's basically going to be set up so that American will have everything that was part of 'C' while all the others will feed into what was 'B.' My sense is that cars dropping off on the upper roadway are just looking at the airline signs and not the letter designations.

It has more logic for passengers arriving via Metro or parking in the garages, since they funnel into one of the two pedestrian bridges. A simple designation to direct passengers one way or the other is helpful. You don't want to make the whole thing one terminal and have American customers use the wrong pedestrian bridge and end up far from their gates. However, if they're going to use A/B/C/D/E for gates/concourses, it makes less sense to use the same letters for terminals.

Plus, they'll want to have some kind of system that works with any future redevelopment concepts for Terminal A.

Agreed. A simple designation of Terminal 1 (A Concourse) and Terminal 2 (B/C/D/E? Concourses) could be helpful. Get folks in the right building first, then through the letters at them!

N292UX
Topic Author

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:34 pm

UA is adding a seasonal IAD-ATH route beginning July 1. Will start of daily with a 787-8. With Greece welcoming tourists, I feel like this route should work out. Though I am surprised (and am a little questionable) about immediately starting it off daily. I imagine that could change as the start date draws closer.

jplatts

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm

I had noticed that there is significantly less nonstop service to DFW from IAD than was the case prior to the COVID-19 pandemic with AA currently operating 2x daily nonstops to DFW from IAD and UA currently operating only 1x daily nonstop to DFW from IAD.

WN adding IAD-DAL nonstop service might be a possibility once demand recovers with
(a) DFW/DAL being one of the top within-DCA perimeter markets traveled to from IAD prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,
(b) IAD being one of the top remaining domestic destinations traveled to from the DFW/DAL market that isn't currently served nonstop from DAL,
(c) fewer nonstop flights to DFW from IAD than was the case prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,
(d) WN already having a significant FF base in both the DFW/DAL and WAS markets (especially with BWI and DAL being two of the largest WN stations) to support IAD-DAL nonstop service,
(e) WN operating fewer daily nonstops to DAL from DCA than it did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and
(f) WN being able to capture some of the passengers who would otherwise fly out of DCA or BWI or connect to DAL if it adds IAD-DAL nonstop service.

Demand would also likely be there for additional nonstop service to the DFW/DAL market beyond the current 3x daily nonstops to DFW from IAD if demand were at pre-pandemic levels with the amount of O&D that was there between DFW and IAD prior to the pandemic. I also would likely expect more nonstop service to DFW from IAD on UA (beyond the current 1x daily nonstop to DFW from IAD on UA) once demand recovers.
Last edited by jplatts on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UALFAson

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:41 pm

capitalflyer wrote:

"American’s managing director of DCA operations, Radney Robertson, told TPG that along with the new concourse, the carrier will upgauge all regional flying to two-cabin aircraft, such as the 65 seat CRJ-700, and 76-seat CRJ-900 and Embraer E175."

This means the end of the E45 and CR2 at DCA for AA. Further confirmation of what I think had been announced previously.

YES! I was pleasantly surprised by that! "Pleasantly" because I am not a fan of the CR2 period, let alone for longer flights like BNA, which is pushing 90 minutes westbound. But "surprised" because I find it hard to believe that some smaller cities in places like the Carolinas and NY State and New England can support 65-seat aircraft, especially right now. Oh well, better rides for everybody!

rbavfan

Re: DC Airports Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:15 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
BWI's baggage sorting facility can come none too soon.

I flew threw there over Christmas. Took well over a half hour for our bags to arrive on the carousel (which has been our typical experience from when we lived there). Compare that to DEN, our bags were already on the carousel when we got there.

Yes but at DEN you have a lot farther trip between gates and baggage claim & a system designed for faster throughtput from day 1.

USAirALB

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 am

New DCA terminal map is now active: https://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default ... 202021.pdf

See anything missing? Terminal A/B/C designations are gone.

dcaproducer

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 pm

USAirALB wrote:
New DCA terminal map is now active: https://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default ... 202021.pdf

Interesting. This is getting ready for the new security building and National Hall to open up post security. The map reads TSA Security on Level 2.
I’m still not entirely certain how this is going to flow pre-security since the DL agents say they aren’t moving. So if I park in the B garage, walk across, check a bag, do I then walk back to security and then into National Hall? Seems like a lot of walking.

blockski

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:23 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Interesting. This is getting ready for the new security building and National Hall to open up post security. The map reads TSA Security on Level 2.
I’m still not entirely certain how this is going to flow pre-security since the DL agents say they aren’t moving. So if I park in the B garage, walk across, check a bag, do I then walk back to security and then into National Hall? Seems like a lot of walking.

Maybe, but the TSA checkpoints are all currently on Level 2, also.

In the future, if you park and walk across the bridge, if you need to go to ticketing, you'll need to then go up one level. If not, you can proceed straight to security.

graham697

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:46 pm

blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

In the future, if you park and walk across the bridge, if you need to go to ticketing, you'll need to then go up one level. If not, you can proceed straight to security.

Yeah, at first, I was a bit apprehensive to the new 'people flow,' but it is not really that much more different than it is today.

dcaproducer

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 pm

blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Unless they've moved from last Thursday, checkpoints are where they've always been on the main level. Maybe they consider that level "2" since baggage claim is on the lower level.

In terms of the flow, it will be difference since you won't be able to cross the bridge into National Hall, go upstairs and then back down to security. There will have to be a way to go up to ticketing from the end of the tunnel and then back across to where new security will be and then back to National Hall. It will be a bit of a back track. I've yet to see the airport clearly layout how this will all work.

blockski

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Unless they've moved from last Thursday, checkpoints are where they've always been on the main level. Maybe they consider that level "2" since baggage claim is on the lower level.

In terms of the flow, it will be difference since you won't be able to cross the bridge into National Hall, go upstairs and then back down to security. There will have to be a way to go up to ticketing from the end of the tunnel and then back across to where new security will be and then back to National Hall. It will be a bit of a back track. I've yet to see the airport clearly layout how this will all work.

Of course it will be different (because the checkpoints are moving), but the checkpoints will remain on the same level that they are today. There won't be any additional vertical moves for passengers.

Today: you park, walk across the bridge, go up one level to ticketing, go back down one level to security.

In the future: you park, walk across the bridge, go up one level to ticketing, go back down one level to security.

And that's if you need to visit ticketing at all. I'm sure the various airlines will have their kiosks on level 2 just as they do today for anyone who just needs a boarding pass. I think they'll even have some ability to check luggage from level 2 for some airlines.

MWAA has videos showing the passenger flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjs2XS6JaF0

capitalflyer

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm

It would be nice if they could have figured out some way for taxi/hired vehicle access to level two for passengers who don't need to stop at a ticket counter. Perhaps an add on to the garages to add a lane for drop off pick up for pax without luggage? Especially given the high share that govt./business travel has at this airport.

Will the hall that leads from National Hall be post or pre security? Will the checkpoint in A only be handling folks who come in those doors or everyone? Or will they perhaps someday cut off external access to A, making everyone go through National Hall?

e38

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:43 pm

What was the last flight out of Gate 35X on April 19?

e38

blockski

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 pm

e38 wrote:
What was the last flight out of Gate 35X on April 19?

e38

Last flight was AA 5482, DCA-ALB. They had a water cannon salute and everything.

https://twitter.com/loriara/status/1384327211608596483

But the plane had an issue, they had to return to the gate and change plans. Whoops.

N292UX
Topic Author

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 pm

capitalflyer wrote:

That's definitely a nice change for DCA, but I also wonder if some of the current routes from DCA can support 2-class service? Places like LAN/CAK/BGR come to mind.

AA seems to have added more mainline service to markets outside of non-hub cities and Florida. For this summer, ATL has 2x mainline flights (A319), MEM has a daily A320, PIT has a daily A319, and RDU has a daily A319. I know AA was pretty constrained in terms of gates that could hold mainline aircraft, but maybe with the new terminal they are able to add additional mainline frequencies. If so, one would think places like IND/CMH/MSY/BNA could probably serve a daily A319. DCA-IND/CMH are two pretty big routes from DCA and the loads are usually close to 100%.

capitalflyer

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 pm

N292UX wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

That's definitely a nice change for DCA, but I also wonder if some of the current routes from DCA can support 2-class service? Places like LAN/CAK/BGR come to mind.

AA seems to have added more mainline service to markets outside of non-hub cities and Florida. For this summer, ATL has 2x mainline flights (A319), MEM has a daily A320, PIT has a daily A319, and RDU has a daily A319. I know AA was pretty constrained in terms of gates that could hold mainline aircraft, but maybe with the new terminal they are able to add additional mainline frequencies. If so, one would think places like IND/CMH/MSY/BNA could probably serve a daily A319. DCA-IND/CMH are two pretty big routes from DCA and the loads are usually close to 100%.

Perhaps. Can the new gates handle larger mainline jets? Are they full height, 3/4 height, etc.? If they are full height that might also relate to the eliminating E40/5/CR2 as the slope may have been to much to get down to them. The main limitation might though be spacing rather than door height. So perhaps they could handle off peak mainline but if it makes a gate next to it unusable because of wingspan I doubt you will see many if any mainline jets at the new gates.

Cmac787

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Looks like UA will be using A/B terminal for flights this summer at IAD. They used A32 for LHR yesterday. They could be using up to 8 gates on the 5pm bank this summer

capitalflyer

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
Looks like UA will be using A/B terminal for flights this summer at IAD. They used A32 for LHR yesterday. They could be using up to 8 gates on the 5pm bank this summer

That flight is back to C7 tonight. Not sure if a one particular flight from A32 indicates UA will use gates on A/B on any kind of regular basis. Could have simply been an operational issue at the gate they were originally scheduled for on Monday.

dcaproducer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:00 am

blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
blockski wrote:

Of course it will be different (because the checkpoints are moving), but the checkpoints will remain on the same level that they are today. There won't be any additional vertical moves for passengers.

Today: you park, walk across the bridge, go up one level to ticketing, go back down one level to security.

In the future: you park, walk across the bridge, go up one level to ticketing, go back down one level to security.

And that's if you need to visit ticketing at all. I'm sure the various airlines will have their kiosks on level 2 just as they do today for anyone who just needs a boarding pass. I think they'll even have some ability to check luggage from level 2 for some airlines.

MWAA has videos showing the passenger flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjs2XS6JaF0

MWAA has yet to publish terminal maps that show the new flow. The video has been out for months, but doesn’t clearly show the entire passenger flow. For those of us who regularly have to check bags for work it’s unclear once you cross the bridge from parking where you’ll go upstairs. Currently you do this from National Hall. And the Delta agents have told me they don’t expect to have their lower level bag drop after the renovations are complete. So again, I’m going off of the confusion multiple ticket counter agents have told me.

It will be interesting to see how it all works once it’s done.

blockski

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:57 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

MWAA has yet to publish terminal maps that show the new flow. The video has been out for months, but doesn’t clearly show the entire passenger flow. For those of us who regularly have to check bags for work it’s unclear once you cross the bridge from parking where you’ll go upstairs. Currently you do this from National Hall. And the Delta agents have told me they don’t expect to have their lower level bag drop after the renovations are complete. So again, I’m going off of the confusion multiple ticket counter agents have told me.

I'm not sure what the confusion is? You'll cross the bridge, and there will be a bank of escalators going up.

dcaproducer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:12 pm

blockski wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
blockski wrote:

I'm not sure what the confusion is? You'll cross the bridge, and there will be a bank of escalators going up.

It's not confusion at all. It's the fact that it will be a lot of back tracking. That's my point. The layout isn't ideal if you're parking and checking bags. It's really designed for people to be dropped off at the check-in level, then go down to security.

washingtonflyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Isn't that the way it is now if you park in a garage or come from metro and have to check bags?

KMCOFlyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:36 pm

dcaproducer wrote:

This pdf docket has a floor plan. (https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... rogram.pdf). I’m not sure why the DL agent said they won’t be getting their Level 2 Metro bridge bag drop counter back. The floor plan shows space for 2 mini check in desk at both the north and south checkpoint and they are slated to be in roughly the same area they were in pre-construction.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos