Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:29 am

Continuation of discussion from BHM Thread for 2020. There’s 6 other airports in the state though to discuss (MSL, HSV, MGM, DHN, BFM, MOB), so let’s include those too!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:20 am

Link to previous thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438097
Forum Moderator
 
sparky35805
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:37 am

TUI 788 OO-JDL came in to HSV from BRU on 12-21-2020 and returned to BRU the next day.Anyone know what it was doing here (HSV)?
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:51 am

sparky35805 wrote:
TUI 788 OO-JDL came in to HSV from BRU on 12-21-2020 and returned to BRU the next day.Anyone know what it was doing here (HSV)?


I know that it was a cargo only flight, but I do not know who the cargo was for and if it was HSV origin or HSV destined. I presume it was auto related, based on other cargo routes that TUI has run recently. Could be NASA related or vaccine related as well (Pfizer vaccine being made near BRU, and it’s been used as an origin for the vaccine to be transported globally) or something else for Panalpina/DSV
 
jayrobinson32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Got to drive around Stewart Industries a week ago at BHM and thought that y'all would enjoy some stuff I found there with photos.
Several MD-90s are stored inside of the Hangar bays: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Inside of N922DL, a retired MD-88: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Found a diagram of the original Layout of the aircraft parked here in May with ship numbers: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
I got to help the guys test a new engine in the BCRF 767-400 and then we moved it to the "alley" before its departure: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Saw some Allegiant MD83s getting worked on and returned to service. They are being sold to a cargo operator: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Just a photo inside one of the bays with a A319 at the end being worked on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Saw two Avianca E190s inside of the last hanger closest to the runway. They are waiting to be scrapped or sold. One has already been scrapped: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
That's about all of the photos I can share, there are many I was told not to photograph. If y'all have any questions about anything that is at that facility at BHM send them over!
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 am

Thoughts and hopes for 2021? Here’s what I’m thinking and hoping for. BHM had a relatively strong year even with the pandemic, especially in Q4

I’m hoping to see west coast service added to LAX or SFO. West Coast and BOS are two major markets that lack BHM service, and B6 would fit the bill. WN added DEN last year, and LAS service has been operational more often than usual this past year. It’d be nice to see WN bring back FLL as a seasonal route. There’s some other routes like PIT/AUS/RDU that are a bit more of a mystery that lack direct service. VIA was going to try these three, but they fell apart. Long shot, but if Contour expands their fleet even more, they could build up a focus city operation here like they’re planning IND with short O&D routes to those cities. Would also like to see UA add regional service to EWR at some point, and I hope that AA brings back mainline service. I also could see Breeze adding BHM this year. Seems to fit the market and could serve some of the aforementioned, underserved routes out of BHM

I also hope to see some wheels begin to turn on moving service in Mobile to BFM. I don’t see many changes happening for HSV. They’re trying as hard as they can to bring in WN, but the chances seem slim.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 am

Breeze is the biggest opportunity to capture the 20-25% leakage to Atlanta. Mainline to DFW and CLT seem possible. I’ve also flown the early out late back Miami flights on the E-175s that were full, but it’ll be a while before BHM sees mainline to Miami, I think.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:52 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Breeze is the biggest opportunity to capture the 20-25% leakage to Atlanta. Mainline to DFW and CLT seem possible. I’ve also flown the early out late back Miami flights on the E-175s that were full, but it’ll be a while before BHM sees mainline to Miami, I think.


I absolutely agree. Definitely some underserved routes that would work well on a Breeze E190; the routes that VIA attempted to serve and BOS come to mind first. They did have mainline on an A319 to DFW in 2019/early 2020 I believe, so I could see that returning. Everyone I’ve talked to who has flown BHM-DFW/CLT in the last few months has said their flights have been full, as has MIA. Seasonal upgrades to BHM-MIA to like an A319 might be possible.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see UA add mainline to DEN at one point, although it might be less likely now with WN entering that market.
 
Scoots71
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Breeze is the biggest opportunity to capture the 20-25% leakage to Atlanta. Mainline to DFW and CLT seem possible. I’ve also flown the early out late back Miami flights on the E-175s that were full, but it’ll be a while before BHM sees mainline to Miami, I think.


I think this could be huge for Breeze and would be one of their best bets based on their plan to start up at underserved markets. BHM is one of the few major markets in the SE that is not already a major hub/focus city for one of the Big 4, and it could give some price competition to BHM, especially as WN has been creeping up on their prices.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I actually think HSV has a decent chance to land WN. It is clearly an underserved market. I realize WN has primarily been adding vacation destinations, but they did recently announce JAN so they are not completely opposed to traditional markets. Outside of the big 3, HSV has little other service besides the token Silver and F9 flights. HSV does not get much love on this forum like some of its similar sized peers, but IMO, I think it could function well as a small WN station.
 
MILakes
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:57 pm

HSV is at a geographical disadvantage with being "close enough" to BNA and BHM (and even ATL) to provide a disincentive for WN to begin service. I doubt they would be interested given the current climate, especially given the historical high government travel numbers. But who knows- with the continued growth and economic diversity of the HSV metro region it may not be far off. 2x daily to HOU, MDW, BWI would be nice!
DTW to HSV with 5 stops...lifetime airline enthusiast
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:09 pm

MILakes wrote:
But who knows- with the continued growth and economic diversity of the HSV metro region it may not be far off. 2x daily to HOU, MDW, BWI would be nice!


I think this is definitely the key point there. HSV is growing like wildfire; the city of Huntsville is on track to become the largest city in the state within the next few years (metro BHM will continue to be larger though). WN is certainly interested in entering some traditional markets, and I think they could do quite well there and capture a lot of that leakage. HSV fares tend to be sky high, and low fares from WN could be very successful

I’m also very hopeful for Breeze. I really think BHM-BOS/AUS/RDU could be very, very successful. I am always surprised by the fact that there’s no direct service to BOS from BHM, and Breeze could fill that gap most definitely
 
Delta28L
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:20 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
I actually think HSV has a decent chance to land WN. It is clearly an underserved market. I realize WN has primarily been adding vacation destinations, but they did recently announce JAN so they are not completely opposed to traditional markets. Outside of the big 3, HSV has little other service besides the token Silver and F9 flights. HSV does not get much love on this forum like some of its similar sized peers, but IMO, I think it could function well as a small WN station.


AirTran did serve HSV to BWI and MCO before they were bought out by WN.
 
southsky
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:25 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Thoughts and hopes for 2021? I also hope to see some wheels begin to turn on moving service in Mobile to BFM.


For BFM, the FAA has largely approved the master plan which includes an 8 to 10 gate terminal at the downtown airport. I would imagine the first phases of this would be in place by 2025. As for the current "temporary" terminal at BFM, there has not been much visible movement as of yet (largely due to COVID), but I bet we will see F9 restart there once vaccinations begin to balloon and/or one of the big 3 move there from MOB. Curiously, Delta has BFM also listed for Mobile on their online booking engine already (MOB is separate).
 
jplatts
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
I actually think HSV has a decent chance to land WN. It is clearly an underserved market. I realize WN has primarily been adding vacation destinations, but they did recently announce JAN so they are not completely opposed to traditional markets. Outside of the big 3, HSV has little other service besides the token Silver and F9 flights. HSV does not get much love on this forum like some of its similar sized peers, but IMO, I think it could function well as a small WN station.


While HSV is one of the top remaining markets in the contiguous U.S. without WN service, there are other remaining markets in the contiguous U.S. without WN service that carried more domestic passengers in 2019 than HSV did, including MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, GSO, XNA, DAY, VPS, AVL, BZN, and MDT.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:42 pm

One thing that I didn’t think about that could be major for potential BHM-PIT direct service is the acquisition of BBVA by PNC. I don’t think PNC will be eliminating BBVA’s strong framework in BHM, and I suspect PNC will have substantial regional operations in BHM, especially tech related. Who knows, but that could be major when thinking about PIT direct service.

Going off of that, DL adding MSP-BHM is another thought. The Shipt-Target connection is strong, and Shipt continues to grow exponentially in the BHM area. There is O&D along with connecting potential. I’m surprised it didn’t exist pre pandemic, based solely off of connections alone. I do believe it operated about ten years ago though as Northwest, but I don’t think BHM has had direct to MSP since Northwest
 
Scoots71
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:00 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
One thing that I didn’t think about that could be major for potential BHM-PIT direct service is the acquisition of BBVA by PNC. I don’t think PNC will be eliminating BBVA’s strong framework in BHM, and I suspect PNC will have substantial regional operations in BHM, especially tech related. Who knows, but that could be major when thinking about PIT direct service.

Going off of that, DL adding MSP-BHM is another thought. The Shipt-Target connection is strong, and Shipt continues to grow exponentially in the BHM area. There is O&D along with connecting potential. I’m surprised it didn’t exist pre pandemic, based solely off of connections alone. I do believe it operated about ten years ago though as Northwest, but I don’t think BHM has had direct to MSP since Northwest



I've always wondered why DL did not keep BHM-MSP (I guess because of DTW), or why they did not carry BHM-SLC. I feel like they put too much stock into the BHM-ATL crowd, and lose a lot to the other airlines, especially going west of the Mississippi.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
One thing that I didn’t think about that could be major for potential BHM-PIT direct service is the acquisition of BBVA by PNC. I don’t think PNC will be eliminating BBVA’s strong framework in BHM, and I suspect PNC will have substantial regional operations in BHM, especially tech related. Who knows, but that could be major when thinking about PIT direct service.

Going off of that, DL adding MSP-BHM is another thought. The Shipt-Target connection is strong, and Shipt continues to grow exponentially in the BHM area. There is O&D along with connecting potential. I’m surprised it didn’t exist pre pandemic, based solely off of connections alone. I do believe it operated about ten years ago though as Northwest, but I don’t think BHM has had direct to MSP since Northwest



I've always wondered why DL did not keep BHM-MSP (I guess because of DTW), or why they did not carry BHM-SLC. I feel like they put too much stock into the BHM-ATL crowd, and lose a lot to the other airlines, especially going west of the Mississippi.


DL has operated both MSP and SLC out of BHM. MSP lasted longer than SLC. DL seems content to funnel everyone through ATL (with the exception of LGA and DTW). I'd imagine that is why AA is gaining market share.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:17 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
One thing that I didn’t think about that could be major for potential BHM-PIT direct service is the acquisition of BBVA by PNC. I don’t think PNC will be eliminating BBVA’s strong framework in BHM, and I suspect PNC will have substantial regional operations in BHM, especially tech related. Who knows, but that could be major when thinking about PIT direct service.

Going off of that, DL adding MSP-BHM is another thought. The Shipt-Target connection is strong, and Shipt continues to grow exponentially in the BHM area. There is O&D along with connecting potential. I’m surprised it didn’t exist pre pandemic, based solely off of connections alone. I do believe it operated about ten years ago though as Northwest, but I don’t think BHM has had direct to MSP since Northwest



I've always wondered why DL did not keep BHM-MSP (I guess because of DTW), or why they did not carry BHM-SLC. I feel like they put too much stock into the BHM-ATL crowd, and lose a lot to the other airlines, especially going west of the Mississippi.


DL has operated both MSP and SLC out of BHM. MSP lasted longer than SLC. DL seems content to funnel everyone through ATL (with the exception of LGA and DTW). I'd imagine that is why AA is gaining market share.


I had a slight suspicion that DL might have operated MSP at one point, and that confirms it. I don’t remember SLC though, did they run an E175 on it? They lose a whole lot of ski traffic out of BHM by not operating to SLC, I would think, and ski resorts are hot spots for travel right now. Most people I know going to ski are either connecting in DFW or DEN on UA/WN. I feel like SLC-BHM would work well with an A220, might just need to accumulate more frames before it returns.

I know that the LGA service is primarily O&D driven, but I wonder how much of the DTW is O&D driven. I suspect it’s mostly connection based, and MSP might be more O&D. I can’t fathom them not bringing back MSP service within the next few years and maybe ending DTW.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 am

gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:


I've always wondered why DL did not keep BHM-MSP (I guess because of DTW), or why they did not carry BHM-SLC. I feel like they put too much stock into the BHM-ATL crowd, and lose a lot to the other airlines, especially going west of the Mississippi.


DL has operated both MSP and SLC out of BHM. MSP lasted longer than SLC. DL seems content to funnel everyone through ATL (with the exception of LGA and DTW). I'd imagine that is why AA is gaining market share.


I had a slight suspicion that DL might have operated MSP at one point, and that confirms it. I don’t remember SLC though, did they run an E175 on it? They lose a whole lot of ski traffic out of BHM by not operating to SLC, I would think, and ski resorts are hot spots for travel right now. Most people I know going to ski are either connecting in DFW or DEN on UA/WN. I feel like SLC-BHM would work well with an A220, might just need to accumulate more frames before it returns.

I know that the LGA service is primarily O&D driven, but I wonder how much of the DTW is O&D driven. I suspect it’s mostly connection based, and MSP might be more O&D. I can’t fathom them not bringing back MSP service within the next few years and maybe ending DTW.

DTW used to have pretty decent O&D numbers. Not sure if it still does. MSP really isn’t on the way between BHM and any other cities, outside of the Dakotas where I would assume there is little demand from BHM. BHM-PNW is likely shorter backtracking through ATL vs connecting in MSP.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11689
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

DL has operated both MSP and SLC out of BHM. MSP lasted longer than SLC. DL seems content to funnel everyone through ATL (with the exception of LGA and DTW). I'd imagine that is why AA is gaining market share.


I had a slight suspicion that DL might have operated MSP at one point, and that confirms it. I don’t remember SLC though, did they run an E175 on it? They lose a whole lot of ski traffic out of BHM by not operating to SLC, I would think, and ski resorts are hot spots for travel right now. Most people I know going to ski are either connecting in DFW or DEN on UA/WN. I feel like SLC-BHM would work well with an A220, might just need to accumulate more frames before it returns.

I know that the LGA service is primarily O&D driven, but I wonder how much of the DTW is O&D driven. I suspect it’s mostly connection based, and MSP might be more O&D. I can’t fathom them not bringing back MSP service within the next few years and maybe ending DTW.

DTW used to have pretty decent O&D numbers. Not sure if it still does. MSP really isn’t on the way between BHM and any other cities, outside of the Dakotas where I would assume there is little demand from BHM. BHM-PNW is likely shorter backtracking through ATL vs connecting in MSP.

DTW gets decent enough O&D traffic due to the auto industry. Toyota, Hyundai, and especially Honda and Mercedes (and Nissan further away) have plants near the BHM area, and of course use many DTW based suppliers.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:40 am

Polot wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

I had a slight suspicion that DL might have operated MSP at one point, and that confirms it. I don’t remember SLC though, did they run an E175 on it? They lose a whole lot of ski traffic out of BHM by not operating to SLC, I would think, and ski resorts are hot spots for travel right now. Most people I know going to ski are either connecting in DFW or DEN on UA/WN. I feel like SLC-BHM would work well with an A220, might just need to accumulate more frames before it returns.

I know that the LGA service is primarily O&D driven, but I wonder how much of the DTW is O&D driven. I suspect it’s mostly connection based, and MSP might be more O&D. I can’t fathom them not bringing back MSP service within the next few years and maybe ending DTW.

DTW used to have pretty decent O&D numbers. Not sure if it still does. MSP really isn’t on the way between BHM and any other cities, outside of the Dakotas where I would assume there is little demand from BHM. BHM-PNW is likely shorter backtracking through ATL vs connecting in MSP.

DTW gets decent enough O&D traffic due to the auto industry. Toyota, Hyundai, and especially Honda and Mercedes (and Nissan further away) have plants near the BHM area, and of course use many DTW based suppliers.


Very true, the auto industry is certainly strong in the state of AL and is very much expanding. A 5x weekly MSP flight on a CRJ9 could make a lot of sense, similar to preCOVID frequencies on DTW. MSP went away before Target bought Shipt I believe, so I’d be interested to see how it might perform with Shipt/Target traffic. I do wonder when DL decides to resume LGA/DTW. They’re showing March, but they haven’t made the reductions to March schedule so it will likely be suspended longer.

Although I probably wouldn’t fly G4 unless it was a desirable nonstop flight, I’m interested to see if they enter the BHM market in 2021, as the airport authority has discussed it for years and they restructured their debt in July in a way that is certainly favorable for a new player or two to enter the market. I really do think a new carrier will enter BHM this year. Could certainly drive some prices down. Not sure what routes they would add, probably to Florida, but they do like to add obscure routes.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:34 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Polot wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
DTW used to have pretty decent O&D numbers. Not sure if it still does. MSP really isn’t on the way between BHM and any other cities, outside of the Dakotas where I would assume there is little demand from BHM. BHM-PNW is likely shorter backtracking through ATL vs connecting in MSP.

DTW gets decent enough O&D traffic due to the auto industry. Toyota, Hyundai, and especially Honda and Mercedes (and Nissan further away) have plants near the BHM area, and of course use many DTW based suppliers.


Very true, the auto industry is certainly strong in the state of AL and is very much expanding. A 5x weekly MSP flight on a CRJ9 could make a lot of sense, similar to preCOVID frequencies on DTW. MSP went away before Target bought Shipt I believe, so I’d be interested to see how it might perform with Shipt/Target traffic. I do wonder when DL decides to resume LGA/DTW. They’re showing March, but they haven’t made the reductions to March schedule so it will likely be suspended longer.

Although I probably wouldn’t fly G4 unless it was a desirable nonstop flight, I’m interested to see if they enter the BHM market in 2021, as the airport authority has discussed it for years and they restructured their debt in July in a way that is certainly favorable for a new player or two to enter the market. I really do think a new carrier will enter BHM this year. Could certainly drive some prices down. Not sure what routes they would add, probably to Florida, but they do like to add obscure routes.


G4 would do well to AUS, BOS, EWR, LAS, LAX, FLL, MCO, MSY, and maybe a ski destination in the winter.
 
gsg013
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:43 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:


I've always wondered why DL did not keep BHM-MSP (I guess because of DTW), or why they did not carry BHM-SLC. I feel like they put too much stock into the BHM-ATL crowd, and lose a lot to the other airlines, especially going west of the Mississippi.


DL has operated both MSP and SLC out of BHM. MSP lasted longer than SLC. DL seems content to funnel everyone through ATL (with the exception of LGA and DTW). I'd imagine that is why AA is gaining market share.


MSP as a connecting Hub is really far north and pretty far out of the way. When you first look at a map you think MSP and DTW are fairly close to one another, but coming from BHM the extra 225 miles to MSP is almost due in the Northern Direction. Then to connect going south-east or South west from there add significant distance to your next flight.

I noticed this going MCO-MSP-EWR on DL a few years back the first leg MCO-MSP is 1310 miles the MSP-EWR flight 1008 miles. On the Return going EWR-DTW-MCO the distance is 488 miles (EWR-DTW) and 957 miles DTW-MCO. which cuts off 873 miles off

Distance to DL Hubs from BHM below:
BHM DTW 016° (N) 020° (N) 625 mi
BHM MSP 338° (N) 342° (N) 854 mi
BHM ATL 087° (E) 091° (E) 134 mi
BHM SLC 297° (NW) 301° (NW) 1,472 mi
BHM JFK 052° (NE) 056° (NE) 865 mi
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=BHM-DTW-BH ... TL-BHM-SLC
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 am

RRR6672 (UK Royal Air Force) arrived at HSV this evening from Brize Norton in the UK. Looks like it was a C-17 registered as ZZ177. Anyone have a clue what it was doing at HSV? Maybe related to the announcement of the Space Force HQ in Huntsville? NASA related? Would be interested to know if someone up at HSV laid eyes on it to see what it was up to.
 
Delta350
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 am

Here’s something to think about. When the World Games come to Birmingham next year will the teams charter planes into BHM or ATL? BHM does have room.
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
sparky35805
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:05 am

RAF C-17 was probably here (HSV) hauling helicopters for overhaul and or modifications at one of the facilities we have.We see helicopters from all over the world.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 am

sparky35805 wrote:
RAF C-17 was probably here (HSV) hauling helicopters for overhaul and or modifications at one of the facilities we have.We see helicopters from all over the world.


Glad you mentioned that because I had forgotten about the helicopter industry in HSV. That's absolutely what it was. Probably going to Science and Engineering Services a few blocks away from HSV. Completely forgot about that. Thanks
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 am

Delta350 wrote:
Here’s something to think about. When the World Games come to Birmingham next year will the teams charter planes into BHM or ATL? BHM does have room.


I would think so. I wouldn't be surprised to see some European countries charter European 737s or A320s with a stop in KEF or somewhere of the like to bring their teams over. Would certainly be a neat sight here, I think BHM will be very busy when the World Games occur
 
Delta350
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Delta350 wrote:
Here’s something to think about. When the World Games come to Birmingham next year will the teams charter planes into BHM or ATL? BHM does have room.


I would think so. I wouldn't be surprised to see some European countries charter European 737s or A320s with a stop in KEF or somewhere of the like to bring their teams over. Would certainly be a neat sight here, I think BHM will be very busy when the World Games occur

Btw do you or anyone know what countries usually participate in these games?
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
Scoots71
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Delta350 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Delta350 wrote:
Here’s something to think about. When the World Games come to Birmingham next year will the teams charter planes into BHM or ATL? BHM does have room.


I would think so. I wouldn't be surprised to see some European countries charter European 737s or A320s with a stop in KEF or somewhere of the like to bring their teams over. Would certainly be a neat sight here, I think BHM will be very busy when the World Games occur

Btw do you or anyone know what countries usually participate in these games?


A lot of countries. 93 different countries have won medals during the World Games, which dates back to 1981 with 2022 being the 11th edition. 2017 in Poland featured 3168 athletes from 102 countries.
 
Scoots71
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

AA is resuming flights from BHM to DCA on February 11. MGM also mentioned in a press conference with Kay Ivey earlier in the week that they expect their DCA service to resume in March.

https://www.flybirmingham.com/american- ... ngton-d-c/
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Looks like BHM-DTW is returning on March 2 in the newest DL schedule update. 5x weekly on Endeavor CRJ900. LGA is still on hold
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:03 pm

BHM-DFW goes back to mainline in the month of March for one of 5-6 daily flights on an Airbus A319. AA662 arrives at 6:34 PM nightly in BHM, and it departs as AA676 at 7:00 AM the next morning. Seems to begin on March 4th. Rest of the flights are all CRJ/ERJ
 
bhmdiversion
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm

BHM/SLC/BHM rotation was on CR9 from SkyWest. From SLC went to BHM then ATL to BUF back to ATL to BHM then to SLC.

MSP will continue to funnel through ATL as 9E and OO dont have the capacity out of MSP to continue that route. Compass was assigned that routing for a trial run for Mayo Clinic.

Breeze may work if they get off the ground but have to have those select market that are not served currently.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:38 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
BHM-DFW goes back to mainline in the month of March for one of 5-6 daily flights on an Airbus A319. AA662 arrives at 6:34 PM nightly in BHM, and it departs as AA676 at 7:00 AM the next morning. Seems to begin on March 4th. Rest of the flights are all CRJ/ERJ

American did that last March as well. My last flight pre-pandemic was a DFW-BHM flight on the A319. I wonder why they have scheduled it only for March the last two years.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
BHM-DFW goes back to mainline in the month of March for one of 5-6 daily flights on an Airbus A319. AA662 arrives at 6:34 PM nightly in BHM, and it departs as AA676 at 7:00 AM the next morning. Seems to begin on March 4th. Rest of the flights are all CRJ/ERJ

American did that last March as well. My last flight pre-pandemic was a DFW-BHM flight on the A319. I wonder why they have scheduled it only for March the last two years.


I would guess that it is spring break related, although I actually think it was supposed to continue last year after March. They haven't posted the April schedule update yet, but I'll be interested to see if it sticks around.

On the DL end of things, DL is sending a 737-900ER to BHM daily. Don't remember the last time that happened. The two last flights of the day into BHM and first two out of the BHM to ATL in the AM are covered by a 739 and 712 at the moment. All of the rest are on CRJ900s. February tends to be a slow month anyways.
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:56 am

gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
BHM-DFW goes back to mainline in the month of March for one of 5-6 daily flights on an Airbus A319. AA662 arrives at 6:34 PM nightly in BHM, and it departs as AA676 at 7:00 AM the next morning. Seems to begin on March 4th. Rest of the flights are all CRJ/ERJ

American did that last March as well. My last flight pre-pandemic was a DFW-BHM flight on the A319. I wonder why they have scheduled it only for March the last two years.


I would guess that it is spring break related, although I actually think it was supposed to continue last year after March. They haven't posted the April schedule update yet, but I'll be interested to see if it sticks around.

On the DL end of things, DL is sending a 737-900ER to BHM daily. Don't remember the last time that happened. The two last flights of the day into BHM and first two out of the BHM to ATL in the AM are covered by a 739 and 712 at the moment. All of the rest are on CRJ900s. February tends to be a slow month anyways.


DL was all MD88s and maybe one or two 737s to ATL last year in March. It’s hard to believe they are down to mainly CR9s now. DL has lost significant market share to AA in BHM during the pandemic. I went from SkyMiles to AAdvantage three years ago because of the nonstop options on AA out of BHM. Still miss the DL service but convenient n/a trump.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:37 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
American did that last March as well. My last flight pre-pandemic was a DFW-BHM flight on the A319. I wonder why they have scheduled it only for March the last two years.


I would guess that it is spring break related, although I actually think it was supposed to continue last year after March. They haven't posted the April schedule update yet, but I'll be interested to see if it sticks around.

On the DL end of things, DL is sending a 737-900ER to BHM daily. Don't remember the last time that happened. The two last flights of the day into BHM and first two out of the BHM to ATL in the AM are covered by a 739 and 712 at the moment. All of the rest are on CRJ900s. February tends to be a slow month anyways.


DL was all MD88s and maybe one or two 737s to ATL last year in March. It’s hard to believe they are down to mainly CR9s now. DL has lost significant market share to AA in BHM during the pandemic. I went from SkyMiles to AAdvantage three years ago because of the nonstop options on AA out of BHM. Still miss the DL service but convenient n/a trump.


Agreed. Just a few months ago, everything was 712/738. Surprised to see such heavy CRJ900 service, but I do hope things pick back up and those shift back to 712s soon. AA has yet to bring back BHM-PHL, the only lingering suspended route, which is the one I frequently utilize. I’m in central NJ quite often, and EWR/PHL are both equally accessible. BHM EWR hasn’t operated since Continental, but I’d love to see it return one day. Nice to have the PHL route, and I hope it returns sooner rather than later, although SEPTA to NJ Transit transfer is a pain in the you know what. Every time I flew it within the last few months before suspension, it was a full CRJ700/ERJ145.
 
Fixinthe757
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 am

southsky wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Thoughts and hopes for 2021? I also hope to see some wheels begin to turn on moving service in Mobile to BFM.


For BFM, the FAA has largely approved the master plan which includes an 8 to 10 gate terminal at the downtown airport. I would imagine the first phases of this would be in place by 2025. As for the current "temporary" terminal at BFM, there has not been much visible movement as of yet (largely due to COVID), but I bet we will see F9 restart there once vaccinations begin to balloon and/or one of the big 3 move there from MOB. Curiously, Delta has BFM also listed for Mobile on their online booking engine already (MOB is separate).

So far nothing has happened. The temporary terminal is not being used anymore. The city/airport has finally purchased the land along the waterfront, but no plans have been made to do anything with it so far. Personally I think the new terminal should be there, but they dont care what I think. I have heard about the businesses that will be affected buy the location of the new terminal have complained about being relocated, but dont know if that going to matter. Four of the hangars here at MAE will be demolished, as well as the old Teledyne area as well. New hangars are supposed to built. Signature will be relocated to the other side of runway 14. Hopefully when all is said and done (and we all know the local and national govt takes their slow time to do anything) it will come with service from additional carriers. Not holding my breath though.
 
jayrobinson32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Silver Airways ATR coming in tonight around 5:36pm. Not sure who it is chartering. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIL7 ... /KGSO/KBHM
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:43 pm

jayrobinson32 wrote:
Silver Airways ATR coming in tonight around 5:36pm. Not sure who it is chartering. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIL7 ... /KGSO/KBHM


It's for the UNC Greensboro women's basketball team, as they're coming in to face Samford tomorrow. A rare sight indeed at BHM
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:
southsky wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Thoughts and hopes for 2021? I also hope to see some wheels begin to turn on moving service in Mobile to BFM.


For BFM, the FAA has largely approved the master plan which includes an 8 to 10 gate terminal at the downtown airport. I would imagine the first phases of this would be in place by 2025. As for the current "temporary" terminal at BFM, there has not been much visible movement as of yet (largely due to COVID), but I bet we will see F9 restart there once vaccinations begin to balloon and/or one of the big 3 move there from MOB. Curiously, Delta has BFM also listed for Mobile on their online booking engine already (MOB is separate).

So far nothing has happened. The temporary terminal is not being used anymore. The city/airport has finally purchased the land along the waterfront, but no plans have been made to do anything with it so far. Personally I think the new terminal should be there, but they dont care what I think. I have heard about the businesses that will be affected buy the location of the new terminal have complained about being relocated, but dont know if that going to matter. Four of the hangars here at MAE will be demolished, as well as the old Teledyne area as well. New hangars are supposed to built. Signature will be relocated to the other side of runway 14. Hopefully when all is said and done (and we all know the local and national govt takes their slow time to do anything) it will come with service from additional carriers. Not holding my breath though.



This is the land where the old golf course was, right? I think they said that half of the land was being dedicated to conservation, and the other half was for aerospace projects, which seemed more likely to be Airbus-related than land for the terminal. I agree, it would make sense to put the terminal on the east side of the field. Much less hectic and can start from scratch. Are the four hangars that are being demolished the ones at the east end of Avenue I that are all connected? Beautiful, old hangars, but I'm sure there are some structural deficiencies that come with the age.
 
Fixinthe757
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:33 am

gdavis003 wrote:


This is the land where the old golf course was, right? I think they said that half of the land was being dedicated to conservation, and the other half was for aerospace projects, which seemed more likely to be Airbus-related than land for the terminal. I agree, it would make sense to put the terminal on the east side of the field. Much less hectic and can start from scratch. Are the four hangars that are being demolished the ones at the east end of Avenue I that are all connected? Beautiful, old hangars, but I'm sure there are some structural deficiencies that come with the age.
[/quote]
Thats correct, the former USA property on the east side. All I know is that both the city and the airport authority purchased the land, no mention was made (in the article i read) about what was going to be done with it. The four hangars to go are the former Teledyne, now MAE hangars, on the north side of the MAE property. Reasons given were health related, as well as new hangars will be built and this will become a parking lot. We are hearing about future growth from Airbus, which has been expected. Seems like we may be getting an A330 FAL after all if what we are hearing comes true. We shall wait and see
 
DashTrash
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:44 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm

jplatts wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
I actually think HSV has a decent chance to land WN. It is clearly an underserved market. I realize WN has primarily been adding vacation destinations, but they did recently announce JAN so they are not completely opposed to traditional markets. Outside of the big 3, HSV has little other service besides the token Silver and F9 flights. HSV does not get much love on this forum like some of its similar sized peers, but IMO, I think it could function well as a small WN station.


While HSV is one of the top remaining markets in the contiguous U.S. without WN service, there are other remaining markets in the contiguous U.S. without WN service that carried more domestic passengers in 2019 than HSV did, including MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, GSO, XNA, DAY, VPS, AVL, BZN, and MDT.

Short of DAY And MDT, I highly doubt those airports have the leakage and perception of ultra-high fares and HSV does. I doubt much of the leisure traffic from HSV even bothers to look at the fares from that airport.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm

https://www.mobileairportauthority.com/ ... ilitation/

"The Mobile Airport Authority has accepted a grant offer for $9.1 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation to fund the rehabilitation of Runway 14/32 at the Mobile Downtown Airport (BFM).

The project includes milling and resurfacing across the runway, upgraded lighting, and pavement marking.

The improvements are expected to start this March/April and be finished by the end of 2021."

Great news from the Mobile Airport Authority. This is definitely a boost in the push to move service from MOB to BFM and expand Airbus Mobile.
 
Fixinthe757
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:30 am

Yeah its ok, but 18-36 needs the most work. Its in dire need of resurfacing, as well as its own taxiway, which i know is planned. I spent a fair amount of time on that runway throughout last year parking and working on the 777s we had stored there. Thats where a good chunk of that money needs to go, and to re-extend it again too. 14-32 was resurfaced and had centerline lights installed a few years ago and is still in very good shape
 
southsky
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:
Yeah its ok, but 18-36 needs the most work. Its in dire need of resurfacing, as well as its own taxiway, which i know is planned. I spent a fair amount of time on that runway throughout last year parking and working on the 777s we had stored there. Thats where a good chunk of that money needs to go, and to re-extend it again too. 14-32 was resurfaced and had centerline lights installed a few years ago and is still in very good shape


As you probably know, they are planning on finishing work on 14-32 before starting on 18-36. When 18-36's work is complete, there will be ILS approaches on that runway as well. They will do that work in tandem with the new Taxiway K and the parallel taxiway added next to 18-36.
 
Fixinthe757
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:37 am

Thats good, been long overdue
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:33 am

Looks like FAH-001, the Embraer Legacy 600 of the Honduran President, Juan Pablo Hernandez, made a stop at HSV tonight. Seemingly just a fuel stop, as it was only on the ground for an hour in Huntsville. Hope someone was able to lay eyes on it, neat sight.

They were using the call sign "Blue Strip 001" with ATC, which was interesting. They show up on the trackers as FAH1. For them, FAH stands for Fuerza Aérea Hondureña, but the trackers register it as ASL Hungary, which has the call sign "Blue Strip." Might have been some confusion, not sure if that's the norm for this special Legacy 600 when it goes abroad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos