Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Alabama Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 pm

caleeiii wrote:
It's great to see AA really building up BHM with so many choices. It's sad to see Delta turn it's back on one of its founding cities.

The situation had changed at BHM and other Southeastern cities with the AA-US merger as there was easier access to more of the AA network from BHM and other Southeastern cities with the CLT, DCA, PHL, and PHX hubs that AA inherited through the AA-US merger along with the hubs that AA already had at DFW, ORD, MIA, LAX, and NYC prior to the AA-US merger.

In addition to the AA CLT hub, AA also has an advantage over DL in the BHM market with the easier access to the Upper Midwest and West that is there from BHM on AA with AA serving its ORD and DFW hubs nonstop from BHM whereas DL doesn't currently serve its MSP and SLC hubs nonstop from BHM.

Connections to the West and most of the Midwest from BHM on DL also require backtracking through ATL, but the proximity of BHM to DL's ATL hub lessens the issue somewhat for connections to destinations that are served nonstop from ATL on DL.

DL also offers connections to other Michigan destinations from BHM through its DTW hub.

DL could add BHM-MSP/SLC nonstop service in order to provide easier access to the Upper Midwest, the Western U.S., and Western Canada from BHM and in order to better compete against AA in the BHM market. BHM-MSP/SLC are both within the range of regional jets as DL had previously operated regional jets on a few routes longer than BHM-SLC such as IAH-LGA and MKE-SEA.

ATLgaUSA

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
AA looks to be running mainline service on DFW/CLT-BHM in June. CLT-BHM mainline looks to be an A319 overnight turn beginning on June 3/4, and there seem to be 5-6 other RJ flights (PSA CRJs and an occasional YX E175, maybe related to the Saturday MCO service which YX will operate). Can't remember the last time that CLT was mainline.

Mainline DFW service resumes on June 3 as well. Most days look to have two mainline flights. One is an A319 RON, and the other is an A319 with a 1:20 PM DFW-BHM and a 4:00 BHM-DFW return. The rest of the flights are Mesa CRJ900s and Envoy E175s.

The other routes are all RJ service. ORD-BHM is 1x daily RON with an Envoy E145. Not sure if PHL has been updated yet, but it's showing as 2-3x daily on PSA CRJ900s and Piedmont E145s. My flight on PHL-BHM in May looks to have a relatively full seating chart for the once daily CRJ700 flight, so we'll see if that lasts. DCA-BHM looks to be 2x daily except for Saturday with 1 on a Republic E175 and the other on a PSA CRJ700. Lastly, MIA is at 2x daily with an Envoy E145 and an Envoy E175.

Things are looking good for AA's June schedule at BHM for sure!

I figured it was just a matter of time until BHM got a CLT mainline flight. With AA moving into the drivers seat in BHM, maybe we can one day look forward to a PHX or LAX flight.

jplatts

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:40 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
I figured it was just a matter of time until BHM got a CLT mainline flight. With AA moving into the drivers seat in BHM, maybe we can one day look forward to a PHX or LAX flight.

WN re-adding BHM-PHX nonstop service is a possibility with WN having previously served PHX nonstop from BHM, but the repeal of the Wright Amendment allowed WN to more easily connect passengers to PHX from BHM through DAL.

diverdave

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
If AA would add a couple of flights to LGA, they'd really eat into DL's market share in BHM.

Fat chance of that since AA sold most of their LGA slots to Delta! :)

Scoots71

Tue May 11, 2021 6:05 pm

DL is finally resuming its BHM-LGA service on June 7th using a CRJ-900. 6:40am departure, 6:30pm arrival.

https://bhamnow.com/2021/05/11/delta-is ... t-in-june/

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm

This person on YouTube made a video of flying from Nashville to Pensacola connecting into Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

https://youtu.be/L3t9n4B0PrQ

I didn’t even know such a route was possible. Hopefully I can try it at some point.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

gdavis003
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 7:29 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
DL is finally resuming its BHM-LGA service on June 7th using a CRJ-900. 6:40am departure, 6:30pm arrival.

https://bhamnow.com/2021/05/11/delta-is ... t-in-june/

Good to see. Would hope that this switches to the E-175, as it used to be, at some point though. BHM-DTW is back on 2x frequency after running 1x, since it returned. I think it is 1x CRJ900 and 1x CRJ700 on Endeavor. Looks like DL is slowly going back to all mainline, with more 737-800 and 717-200 to ATL now. I'll be flying PHL-BHM on AA rather soon, and it looks like the seat map is almost all full for the CRJ700

Scoots71

Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

BHM reported over 150,000 passengers in April, the highest since Feb 2020. It is also the first month to be within 100,000 of the last truly comparable month, and the 2nd to be within 50% of the last comparable month. March 2021 was 52% of March 2019. April 2021 was nearly 61% of 2019.

Also, I noticed that WN quietly resumed the BHM-TPA route. That leaves WN BHM-BWI and BHM-HOU the only routine routes left that have not yet resumed or had a resumption date announced, now that DL BHM-LGA is resuming next month.

MILakes

Thu May 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Nice to see any new service for HSV (even seasonal). AA Saturday only non-stop to Miami starts in June.

https://www.flyhuntsville.com/american- ... l-airport/
DTW to HSV with 5 stops...lifetime airline enthusiast

gdavis003
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
BHM reported over 150,000 passengers in April, the highest since Feb 2020. It is also the first month to be within 100,000 of the last truly comparable month, and the 2nd to be within 50% of the last comparable month. March 2021 was 52% of March 2019. April 2021 was nearly 61% of 2019.

Also, I noticed that WN quietly resumed the BHM-TPA route. That leaves WN BHM-BWI and BHM-HOU the only routine routes left that have not yet resumed or had a resumption date announced, now that DL BHM-LGA is resuming next month.

WN has shuffled around their destinations out of BHM quite a bit throughout the pandemic. BWI and HOU have come back a few times around peak travel times, but they don’t seem to be in operation. The only flights which seem to be consistently operating throughout the pandemic are MCO/DAL/DEN (once the service was added). LAS has been back and forth, as have TPA and MDW, which are both operating currently.

On another note, I flew PHL-BHM this week, and it was a completely full CRJ700, which was great to see. Hopefully, some more frequencies are added and eventually, an upgrade to an E175 or larger. I also noticed that one of the DCA flights was upped to an Envoy E175 recently (AA4125), which is airborne currently from DCA. Looks like it’s an Envoy E175 that goes DCA-BHM-DCA and a PSA CRJ700 which continues up to DCA after coming in from PHL in the morning. Good sign for a route that just recently resumed

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Scoots71 wrote:

American Airlines continues to hold the largest market share at BHM at 35%, followed by Southwest Airlines at 32%, Delta Air Lines at 18% and United Airlines at 15%.

Bizarre to see that Delta just barely nudged past UA to avoid having the lowest market share. Times have definitely changed.

Scoots71

Fri May 14, 2021 3:57 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
American Airlines continues to hold the largest market share at BHM at 35%, followed by Southwest Airlines at 32%, Delta Air Lines at 18% and United Airlines at 15%.

Bizarre to see that Delta just barely nudged past UA to avoid having the lowest market share. Times have definitely changed.

Delta got complacent by thinking that just loading up people on a 717 and shuttling them to ATL was enough. Meanwhile, Southwest and American have far and away the most variable and quicker options from a total travel time perspective out of BHM.

I think Delta would be well served to at least explore adding an SLC leg to the schedule. That would give a better west coast connection option for them compared to just shifting people over to ATL. People see through that tactic now. I have even had several times when I had to connect from a west coast destination through SLC and take SLC-ATL before getting back to BHM.

United is also at a severe disadvantage, since every route they serve is essentially duplicated by both Southwest (DEN, HOU, MDW at much better price and customer service), and by American to ORD. They need to mix something up and get creative if they want to be legitimate at BHM.

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

Delta got complacent by thinking that just loading up people on a 717 and shuttling them to ATL was enough. Meanwhile, Southwest and American have far and away the most variable and quicker options from a total travel time perspective out of BHM.

I think Delta would be well served to at least explore adding an SLC leg to the schedule. That would give a better west coast connection option for them compared to just shifting people over to ATL. People see through that tactic now. I have even had several times when I had to connect from a west coast destination through SLC and take SLC-ATL before getting back to BHM.

United is also at a severe disadvantage, since every route they serve is essentially duplicated by both Southwest (DEN, HOU, MDW at much better price and customer service), and by American to ORD. They need to mix something up and get creative if they want to be legitimate at BHM.

I don't think United has any interest in catering to BHM-originating passengers. Birmingham is in their system only to cater to passengers originating in cities where United has higher market share.

As for Delta, most of the BHM-originating traffic headed west is headed to the southwest (with the exception of SEA). Most of those connections are probably quicker flying east to ATL and connecting back than connecting through SLC.

Scoots71

Fri May 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Based on the increased chatter on the Breeze thread, any thoughts on Breeze potentially coming to BHM, or even if it's a possibility?

It sounds like they are planning on 49 routes with 5 of their first 15 destinations to be CHS, MSY, TPA, PIT, and BNA.

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 14, 2021 7:10 pm

I sure hope so. BHM fits the mold of the cities they say they are targeting. BHM-MSY is obviously a viable market as BHM-PIT should be. We have adequate TPA service and BNA is too close. Weekend service to CHS could possibly work.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

That’s a remarkable statistic. DL has taken a nose dive in their numbers at BHM, and AA and WN are doing quite well. AA’s June schedule out of BHM is robust to say the least. I expect UA to remain stagnant, but I hope that DL adds SLC eventually and maybe an RJ flight to BOS. At this rate though, it might be AA who adds BHM-BOS first . . .

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

That’s a remarkable statistic. DL has taken a nose dive in their numbers at BHM, and AA and WN are doing quite well. AA’s June schedule out of BHM is robust to say the least. I expect UA to remain stagnant, but I hope that DL adds SLC eventually and maybe an RJ flight to BOS. At this rate though, it might be AA who adds BHM-BOS first . . .

I agree it may well be AA who adds BHM-BOS first. If it did, I’d also expect 1-2 flights to LGA to entrench themselves as the dominant BHM-East Coast carrier.

jplatts

Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
At this rate though, it might be AA who adds BHM-BOS first . . .

I agree it may well be AA who adds BHM-BOS first. If it did, I’d also expect 1-2 flights to LGA to entrench themselves as the dominant BHM-East Coast carrier.

I agree that AA adding BHM-BOS before DL does might be a possibility with MDT, PHX, ROC, and SYR currently having nonstop service to BOS on AA but not DL.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:

Agreed. I'll be interested to see if DL's market share at BHM grows any with DTW returning to 2x and LGA returning next month. LGA of course has much less connections, but there are quite a bit of connecting itineraries through DTW so will be interested to see how well the second DTW frequency fares.

kavok

Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 pm

So, question to Alabama based flyers, or at least those familiar with the local market:

How much local marketshare does DL lose by not having a hub for westward connections?

Obviously ATL offers many options, but from BHM it is still flying east to then fly west. AA/WN/UA all have Texas hubs that can connect westward pax, whereas DL obviously does not. SLC (which doesn’t exist) would fit the definition of long and thin.

I guess the real question is, with all the great connection opportunities to go east or north through ATL or DTW, is that enough to entice Alabama frequent flyers to be loyal to DL, or is the lack of a good hub for western connections a deal breaker?

I genuinely would like to hear some thoughts from unbiased locals.

ATLgaUSA

Sat May 15, 2021 1:33 am

kavok wrote:
So, question to Alabama based flyers, or at least those familiar with the local market:

How much local marketshare does DL lose by not having a hub for westward connections?

Obviously ATL offers many options, but from BHM it is still flying east to then fly west. AA/WN/UA all have Texas hubs that can connect westward pax, whereas DL obviously does not. SLC (which doesn’t exist) would fit the definition of long and thin.

I guess the real question is, with all the great connection opportunities to go east or north through ATL or DTW, is that enough to entice Alabama frequent flyers to be loyal to DL, or is the lack of a good hub for western connections a deal breaker?

ATL is 30 minutes east and has flights almost every hour to/from BHM. If you misconnect in Denver or Houston, it can be an issue. If you misconnect in Atlanta, there is another flight in an hour. That being said, I think most passengers who fly mainly west are flying WN or AA.

ATLgaUSA

Sat May 15, 2021 1:45 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
kavok wrote:

ATL is 30 minutes east and has flights almost every hour to/from BHM. If you misconnect in Denver or Houston, it can be an issue. If you misconnect in Atlanta, there is another flight in an hour. That being said, I think most passengers who fly mainly west are flying WN or AA.

Also, if everything goes to hell with weather or delays, ATL is a two hour rental car drive to metro BHM. If the same happens I’m DFW, IAH, DEN, etc., you are there for the night and likely part of the next day.

kavok

Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
kavok wrote:

Also, if everything goes to hell with weather or delays, ATL is a two hour rental car drive to metro BHM. If the same happens I’m DFW, IAH, DEN, etc., you are there for the night and likely part of the next day.

Good points, and that makes sense. Thank you!

jplatts

Sat May 15, 2021 10:05 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
kavok wrote:

DL likely did lose some marketshare on BHM-MSP traffic (especially on the BHM end) to AA, UA, and WN with the connections that AA, UA, and WN offered to BHM through CHI and with the lack of BHM-MSP nonstop service. Similarly, DL also likely lost some marketshare on BHM-SLC (especially on the BHM end) to AA, UA, and WN with the connections that were offered to SLC through CHI, DFW, DAL, and DEN.

DL would also be able to rebook passengers through ATL in the event of a delay or cancellation on a BHM-MSP/SLC nonstop flight.

DL would also be able to offer 1-stop connecting service to additional destinations in the Upper Midwest and West if it adds BHM-MSP/SLC nonstop service.

ATLgaUSA

Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm

AA 2929 is an A319 about to land in BHM from VPS. Any idea why they're flying a random one-off from Ft. Walton to Birmingham on a regular flight number?

reednavy

Mon May 17, 2021 5:33 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
AA 2929 is an A319 about to land in BHM from VPS. Any idea why they're flying a random one-off from Ft. Walton to Birmingham on a regular flight number?

Diversion, along with AA5742 that diverted to MGM.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 5:35 pm

reednavy wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

Diversion, along with AA5742 that diverted to MGM.

At the time I got a JetTip alert about the A319 diverting to BHM, it had not taken off from VPS yet. Planned diversion due to gate space issues at VPS maybe? Couldn’t hold any longer at a gate at VPS with the weather at DFW?

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KPNS/KBHM

Another planned diversion for PNS-BHM-DEN. Maybe wind-related? Planned refueling stop?

ATLgaUSA

Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW5682/history/20210517/2056Z/KPNS/KBHM

Another planned diversion for PNS-BHM-DEN. Maybe wind-related? Planned refueling stop?

I'm beginning to think they may be having a jet fuel shortage on the Gulf Coast.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

I'm beginning to think they may be having a jet fuel shortage on the Gulf Coast.

Could very well be the case. I figured that the DFW flights were weather related due to other delays at DFW, but it looks like the VPS-DEN flight is doing the same thing today, a planned stop in BHM: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KVPS/KBHM

Scoots71

Mon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Could very well be the case. I figured that the DFW flights were weather related due to other delays at DFW, but it looks like the VPS-DEN flight is doing the same thing today, a planned stop in BHM: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KVPS/KBHM

That makes a lot of sense, especially since Birmingham is right on the pipeline and was probably one of the first areas to get restocked, vs the Gulf Coast having to truck in all their fuel.

southsky

Mon May 17, 2021 9:47 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

That makes a lot of sense, especially since Birmingham is right on the pipeline and was probably one of the first areas to get restocked, vs the Gulf Coast having to truck in all their fuel.

I am not sure where JetA is refined typically, but the northern Gulf Coast - think Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, etc. are within 30-50 miles of refineries. There's a Chevron refinery in Pascagoula and a Shell refinery in South Mobile County. In other words, these areas do not rely on that pipeline for fuel (with the caveat being JetA)

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Great news for Huntsville, landing Breeze! Nonstops to Charleston, New Orleans, and Tampa. Huntsville has been underserved and this is a great move in the right direction.

Looks like the BHM Airport Director got out worked by his neighbor to the north. I hope the Airport Board has a lot of questions for him, but they likely won’t even know about it. Still pulling for Allegiant, Breeze, or Spirit service this year but it appears BHM isn’t hustling very hard for any new carriers.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Great news for Huntsville, landing Breeze! Nonstops to Charleston, New Orleans, and Tampa. Huntsville has been underserved and this is a great move in the right direction.

Looks like the BHM Airport Director got out worked by his neighbor to the north. I hope the Airport Board has a lot of questions for him, but they likely won’t even know about it. Still pulling for Allegiant, Breeze, or Spirit service this year but it appears BHM isn’t hustling very hard for any new carriers.

Great news for HSV indeed. BHM has taken a much more passive approach to attracting new air service in recent years, it seems, which rarely works (adjusting the bond structure to lure in a low cost carrier but seemingly not making much of an effort beyond that to appeal to a carrier directly was an example). Airport Board has always been somewhat of a disaster at BHM though, so I’m not terribly surprised

MILakes

Fri May 21, 2021 2:04 pm

I will admit at being surprised HSV was selected in the initial round, especially after following the seemingly never-ending speculation on the Breeze thread. But with the continued growth of the Huntsville metro area (I know, still 1/2 of the BHM MSA), and general lack of ULCC/LCC options (outside of the F9 MCO less than daily), I think this has a chance, even with the probable price match by DL/AA. A bit surprised at having 3 destinations- and not sure MSY will hold up, but optimistic for CHS and TPA. As with any new route announcement, getting the service is one thing - having the community support it is another.

Scoots71

Fri May 21, 2021 3:01 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:

I still think BHM would be a great place for Breeze. Based on the route map, they are not too averse to serving two markets that are relatively close to each other (see Hartford and Providence, Akron and Columbus, Richmond and Norfolk).

Based on the current map, MSY, CHS, and PIT are great markets for BHM to serve, and PVD would be good to reach the Boston metro. If BHM is not able to capitalize on any of the new carriers by the end of the year, then some serious questions may need to be asked about the Airport Board and Mr. Matthieu.

MILakes wrote:
I will admit at being surprised HSV was selected in the initial round, especially after following the seemingly never-ending speculation on the Breeze thread. But with the continued growth of the Huntsville metro area (I know, still 1/2 of the BHM MSA), and general lack of ULCC/LCC options (outside of the F9 MCO less than daily), I think this has a chance, even with the probable price match by DL/AA. A bit surprised at having 3 destinations- and not sure MSY will hold up, but optimistic for CHS and TPA. As with any new route announcement, getting the service is one thing - having the community support it is another.

This will be huge for HSV, especially since one of the major complaints about that airport was the exorbitantly high fares. This should work wonders to bring in some price competition.

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 pm

MILakes wrote:

I would think MSY would have a higher chance of holding up than CHS.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 3:51 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
MILakes wrote:

I would probably agree, although CHS has really grown as a vacation destination for people in the BHM area as of late, myself included. Have been there a few times in the last few years, flew on DL with a stop in ATL and drove a few times. It’s one of those markets that would do really well with a nonstop 3-4x a week I think, especially from March-September. In between driving and flying distance, and if a nonstop is offered on the E190, it could do really well. The last time I did it on DL with a stop in ATL was under 3 hours each way with the connection, which was not bad at all, but the nonstop would certainly entice new demand to CHS, reel in some who might drive otherwise with such low fares, and capture the traffic that would connect in ATL/CLT. That would seem to be enough to fill the E190s on a relatively consistent basis to me. How HSV does might be an indicator, but I do feel that there is likely more demand for BHM-CHS than HSV-CHS.

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Scoots71 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

I still think BHM would be a great place for Breeze. Based on the route map, they are not too averse to serving two markets that are relatively close to each other (see Hartford and Providence, Akron and Columbus, Richmond and Norfolk).

Based on the current map, MSY, CHS, and PIT are great markets for BHM to serve, and PVD would be good to reach the Boston metro. If BHM is not able to capitalize on any of the new carriers by the end of the year, then some serious questions may need to be asked about the Airport Board and Mr. Matthieu.

MILakes wrote:

This will be huge for HSV, especially since one of the major complaints about that airport was the exorbitantly high fares. This should work wonders to bring in some price competition.

I think SAT could also work out of BHM.

MILakes

Fri May 21, 2021 4:40 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
MILakes wrote:

Hindsight will no doubt be interesting later this year. My primary guesses of why HSV-MSY may not do as well as HSV-CHS include driving ease/distance as well as defense industry ties. And as each succeeding year makes it more difficult to drive to the panhandle beaches, perhaps this will spur some demand for the Carolina coast as an alternative. It really comes down to is 4x week the sweet spot between offering enough frequency and not saturating your product. Huntsville is one of those places (there are many) that have so many stereotypical attachments - some of my northern relatives (and not only the older ones) still can't get there head around how "an Alabama cotton town can really be a growing, high-tech, diversified area."

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Looks like the service from Baton Rouge, Atlanta and Nashville to JKA, operated by Ultimate Air Shuttle, is being cancelled before it even starts. Not much of a surprise, especially with BTR. Thought that Atlanta or Nashville might work but seems like bookings were low. Not sure if the word ever got out https://www.al.com/business/2021/05/air ... ement.html

ATLgaUSA

Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like the service from Baton Rouge, Atlanta and Nashville to JKA, operated by Ultimate Air Shuttle, is being cancelled before it even starts. Not much of a surprise, especially with BTR. Thought that Atlanta or Nashville might work but seems like bookings were low. Not sure if the word ever got out https://www.al.com/business/2021/05/air ... ement.html

Not surprised by that. JKA will eventually get the service it wants, but this operation was never going to be that. They need to subsidize a couple of RJ flights to ATL, IAH, and/or DFW so that they can utilize connections through the hubs.

That being said, the hurricane damage excuse is complete BS. I’ve been to Gulf Shores/OBA four times since the hurricanes and the condos are in the same condition they’ve always been in.

RJNUT

Fri May 21, 2021 8:13 pm

interesting about HSV-MSY as that was one of the very first DC-9 jet routes added by Southern Airways back in 1968, There must be some link of sorts.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2021 1:17 am

Busy day at BHM for some rare visitors. An Omni 762 came in from Alexandroupoli, Greece last night with a stop in Shannon and is now making its way back across the Atlantic to SNN. N414NV, one of the former Allegiant MD83s, was ferried by Jet Test down to OPF (other ones were sent to BYH for C Checks, so we’ll see what happens with this one). A Delta A330-200 came into BHM for short term storage (likely). An Aeronaves CRJ200F also stopped in from GSP, and an Atlas passenger 763 is on the way from Tirana, Albania, with stops in HHN and PSM. Lots of military movement recently from Omni at BHM; this will be the first time that Atlas has been around for a military flight at BHM in quite some times. A busy 24 hours!

EDIT: Add in a Kalitta Charters II 727 coming in tonight!

Scoots71

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:08 pm

BHM announced that WN will be resuming their nonstop service to BWI and HOU on November 6 (seems a long way out to wait). Assuming nothing else changes, that means finally all routes will have resumed that existed pre-COVID. Not quite the frequency (these are mostly once a day), but at least they will all be back.

https://www.flybirmingham.com/southwest ... ts-at-bhm/

Scoots71

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pm

BHM traffic totals for the month of May are out. 190,900 total passengers. Up 461% over 2020, for obvious reasons. More appropriate comparison: 68% of the 2019 May number, which was the highest May since prior to 2013.

Market share for the month was 31% AA, 29% WN, 28% DL, and 12% UA.

ATLgaUSA

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Anecdotally, I flew BHM-MIA on the last Saturday in May and back the first Saturday in June. Both flights were oversold. I also noticed that AA had added the second flight back on a E145. Maybe we will eventually see mainline on the morning departure/evening return.

jplatts

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:37 pm

AA adding BHM-LGA nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) DL currently the only airline serving the NYC market nonstop from BHM,
(b) BHM currently lacking any nonstop service to EWR or JFK, and
(c) AA having recently made some other adds out of LGA such as LGA-IAH/MCI/OMA.

ATLgaUSA

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:48 pm

jplatts wrote:

It’s surprising to me that UA hasn’t tried a token 1x daily flight from EWR to accommodate NYC originating passengers.

Scoots71

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
jplatts wrote:

It’s surprising to me that UA hasn’t tried a token 1x daily flight from EWR to accommodate NYC originating passengers.

Especially surprising with UA lacking any attempt at service with BHM along the east coast through either EWR or IAD. I know it's been touched on earlier in the thread, but it feels like UA has given up ever wanting to be considered a legitimate player in BHM. If one of the ULCC's comes to BHM, then I can easily see UA eventually dropping to #5.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos