Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Upstate New York Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 am

Welcome to the Upstate New York Aviation Thread - 2021. Please continue to add your comments below.

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438057&p=21893813#p21893813

TucsonDave

Re: Upstate New York Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:36 pm

WN to SYR in 2031!! Can I get an "Amen?"
Last edited by TucsonDave on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TucsonDave

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:36 pm

WN to SYR in 2021!!! Can I get an "Amen?"

TucsonDave

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:42 pm

TucsonDave wrote:

LOL. Hope my obvious typo isn't prophetic.

cosyr

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:01 pm

TucsonDave wrote:

Is this just your New Years hope for the year? You say that as if you just got news of it, but I don't see anything reported anywhere.

cosyr

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:05 pm

I saw that SYR is getting rid of the exit pods https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/09/s ... -pods.html

I really don't see the problem with them, but I can't imagine they're going back the old method of having someone sit on a stool for 8 hours. Does anyone know more about what is replacing them, and when?

maximairways

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Buffalo airport posted some pictures of their construction progress on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CJeY34lBefd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.

It looks like they are installing automated glass exit lanes.

jetblue01

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:50 pm

cosyr wrote:
I saw that SYR is getting rid of the exit pods https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/09/s ... -pods.html

I really don't see the problem with them, but I can't imagine they're going back the old method of having someone sit on a stool for 8 hours. Does anyone know more about what is replacing them, and when?

I flew into SYR the other night. They had two sets of doors that open right after each other, kind of like the exit pods they had. But people could pretty much walk right out, and it was not limited to a few people at a time. They also were not as slow as the pods were

Dominion301

Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:52 am

TucsonDave wrote:

With WN announcing FAT a couple of weeks ago, I'm guessing SYR is now one of the largest metros, in the USA without WN service?

SYRAVGEEK

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:06 pm

TucsonDave wrote:

Knowing how much they try to avoid coming here this makes sense

flyfresno

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:46 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
TucsonDave wrote:

With WN announcing FAT a couple of weeks ago, I'm guessing SYR is now one of the largest metros, in the USA without WN service?

SYR & GSO

SYRAVGEEK

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

So. IDK how official this is but. Some people noticed that there were a bunch of airports following Breeze Airways on Twitter. One of the airports was SYR, is it possible we’re on the route map. Imo it makes sense since their fixing up Gate 15 and Breeze would probably use an E-195

SYRAVGEEK

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

So. IDK how official this is but. Some people noticed that there were a bunch of airports following Breeze Airways on Twitter. One of the airports was SYR, is it possible we’re on the route map. Imo it makes sense since their fixing up Gate 15 and Breeze would probably use an E-195

cosyr

Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:44 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I don't know how likely, or if it will be one of the first destinations, but SYR was one of B6's first destinations, so it is a market that is on Neeleman's radar. He saw some potential to fill a void in upstate in 2000, and there is certainly still some void, particularly western destinations.

Dominion301

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:34 am

cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I don't know how likely, or if it will be one of the first destinations, but SYR was one of B6's first destinations, so it is a market that is on Neeleman's radar. He saw some potential to fill a void in upstate in 2000, and there is certainly still some void, particularly western destinations.

Makes sense given how stagnant B6 has been at SYR.

usflyer msp

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:47 am

cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

B6's initial destinations were in upstate NY to make Senator Schumer happy so he would arrange for the slot exemptions they needed at JFK -- not because they were particularly attractive markets.

cosyr

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:04 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

B6's initial destinations were in upstate NY to make Senator Schumer happy so he would arrange for the slot exemptions they needed at JFK -- not because they were particularly attractive markets.

True, but hey, it worked. They started in upstate and they're still here 20 years later. I doubt that Schumer could have negotiated a 20+ year requirement, so the must make financial sense.

jplatts

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
TucsonDave wrote:

Of the remaining U.S. markets without WN service, only ANC and MYR carried more domestic passengers than SYR did in 2019.

There are some U.S. metropolitan areas larger by CSA/MSA population than SYR that do not currently have WN service such as GSO, MDT, TYS, DAY, CHA, CAE, BFL, MSN, BTR, FAY, ABE, SBN, CRW, and LEX, but each of these markets carried fewer domestic passengers in 2019 than SYR did.

In addition to adding service to SYR, there are also some other adds that could be made by WN in Upstate New York, including
(a) the return of ROC-MDW nonstop service,
(b) the addition of nonstop service to ATL from BUF and ROC (FL operated nonstop service to ATL from both BUF and ROC prior to the WN-FL merger), and
(c) the addition of ROC-DEN nonstop service.

SYRAVGEEK

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

Yeah, Schumer definitely had a say in SYR getting B6 but I doubt anyone though SYR would be getting MCO & BOS service with them. Before B6 came in there was really only a few routes to NYC which were usually 1x per day (like DL JFK-SYR). Thanks to B6 they were able to add competition and get us new routes.

dekema2

Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 am

maximairways wrote:
Buffalo airport posted some pictures of their construction progress on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CJeY34lBefd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.

I want to see a pier/wing added to the southeast, parallel to the current east wing.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Andy (Cuomo) sending the Nat. Guard to DC. (including the 174th) keep an eye out for charters/military
https://cnycentral.com/news/local/upsta ... washington

cosyr

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:56 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
Andy (Cuomo) sending the Nat. Guard to DC. (including the 174th) keep an eye out for charters/military

I would think the majority would drive, wouldn't they? I've been on the highway passing convoys of troops plenty of times, and I can't imagine they're going to fly with all their equipment and rent cars.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:09 pm

cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I would think the majority would drive, wouldn't they? I've been on the highway passing convoys of troops plenty of times, and I can't imagine they're going to fly with all their equipment and rent cars.

Well they'd probably fly to Andrew AFB and take a convoy to DC, seeing as they mobilized the 105th AW (which uses C130s and C17s) It would make sense to use planes, however idk what the military distance limitations are.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:41 pm

BREAKING: American Airlines has just announced they will be flying a seasonal flight to MIA from SYR. The outbound will leave on Feb 13th and return on the 20th. Hopefully if this does well, the route will be flown more than once

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:29 pm

enplaned wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:
BREAKING: American Airlines has just announced they will be flying a seasonal flight to MIA from SYR. The outbound will leave on Feb 13th and return on the 20th. Hopefully if this does well, the route will be flown more than once

A *lot* of airlines will be giving upstate another look now that Uncle Chuck is on track to be Majority Leader. He was also instrumental in getting CARES Act II for the airlines and no airline needed it more than AA.

Please keep politics out of this chat

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

Not really seasonal, I believe “one-off” is a better term for the flight to MIA

N965UW

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:54 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

Well they'd probably fly to Andrew AFB and take a convoy to DC, seeing as they mobilized the 105th AW (which uses C130s and C17s) It would make sense to use planes, however idk what the military distance limitations are.

The 174th is probably sending personnel from the security forces squadron. No way they're sending Reapers to DC. The 105th is based at SWF and only flies C-17s, no C-130s (which are handled by the Marine Corps Reserve at SWF). I have no inside knowledge of what they're using the 105th for, but they could be mobilizing the base defense squadron only or could be using C-17s to move stuff to DC. It is a pretty short distance though.

usflyer msp

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:34 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

Not really seasonal, I believe “one-off” is a better term for the flight to MIA

Interestingly, the flights are operated by a mainline A321.

SYRAVGEEK

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:53 pm

N965UW wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:
cosyr wrote:

The 174th is probably sending personnel from the security forces squadron. No way they're sending Reapers to DC. The 105th is based at SWF and only flies C-17s, no C-130s (which are handled by the Marine Corps Reserve at SWF). I have no inside knowledge of what they're using the 105th for, but they could be mobilizing the base defense squadron only or could be using C-17s to move stuff to DC. It is a pretty short distance though.

Knowing what the people there have planned it wouldn’t suprise me if they flew just avoid a confrontation or something like that, although they probably will drive.

Buffalomatt1027

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 pm

dekema2 wrote:
maximairways wrote:

I want to see a pier/wing added to the southeast, parallel to the current east wing.

I dont see that happening anytime soon due to covid.

SYRAVGEEK

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:32 am

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/milit ... -in-mendon
UH-60 Went down south of Rochester, wonder what happened.

SYRAVGEEK

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:48 pm

Southwest Announced Service to MYR (Myrtle Beach, making SYR and ANC the top 2 airports, in terms of pax, without Southwest Service) , EUG (Eugene, Oregon. Yes I'm just as suprised as you are), and BLI (Belingham, Washington. Trying to cut into G4 ig). I assume SYR is gonna be next, right?

cosyr

Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:33 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
Southwest Announced Service to MYR (Myrtle Beach, making SYR and ANC the top 2 airports, in terms of pax, without Southwest Service) , EUG (Eugene, Oregon. Yes I'm just as suprised as you are), and BLI (Belingham, Washington. Trying to cut into G4 ig). I assume SYR is gonna be next, right?

By that logic, Ft Collins, CO should have WN service before with a population of 165k, to SYR's of 142k. I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, since Syracuse has more suburbs, but there are so many factors that WN will judge their destination expansion on.

I think WN will fly to SYR someday, but I make no predictions as to whether it will be 5 years or 15 years from now. It took them some convincing after the AirTran merger for them to stay in ROC, and that is a bigger, arguably more profitable market.

SYRAVGEEK

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:51 pm

cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

By that logic, Ft Collins, CO should have WN service before with a population of 165k, to SYR's of 142k. I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, since Syracuse has more suburbs, but there are so many factors that WN will judge their destination expansion on.

I think WN will fly to SYR someday, but I make no predictions as to whether it will be 5 years or 15 years from now. It took them some convincing after the AirTran merger for them to stay in ROC, and that is a bigger, arguably more profitable market.

The FL-WN merger was 6 years ago, a lots changed since 2014. SYR has been going through TREMENDOUS growth. We're getting 2 new amazon facilities, we have a world renowned university, and we reacieve passengers from as far as Canada and Scranton. I will say that Rochester does have a bigger market, but SYR has been catching up. It's also important to note that BOTH SW & FL served SYR with good load factors (FL was in the late 90's and SW was Mid-2000's). SYR proved that they have a large market for Low Cost Airlines that fly to Vacation destinations with G4 and F9 jumping in. But its only March, I suspect we'll see some more announcements in the future seeing as Mr. Kelly said he wanted to add 50 new destinations as it is Southwest's 50th Birthday! I predict that SYR will have Southwest service before 2025.

ROCDLFAN

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:13 pm

F9 has announced ROC, completing the dart board of Upstate markets. Service commences 5/20 with 3X weekly MCO service on the 320. Given that COVID travel recovery is in its beginning stages with travel restrictions only being lifted within the last week, I’d believe this will significantly help stimulate travel.

rocANDtpa

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
F9 has announced ROC, completing the dart board of Upstate markets. Service commences 5/20 with 3X weekly MCO service on the 320. Given that COVID travel recovery is in its beginning stages with travel restrictions only being lifted within the last week, I’d believe this will significantly help stimulate travel.

Great addition for ROC! F9 seemed to help SYR allot and I believe SYR has overtaken ROC in passenger traffic. Hopefully this new airline will reverse this trend for ROC. I believe DEN will be added soon. Does anyone else see any other routes added by F9 in ROC?

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:34 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:

I wish F9 well with this. Hopefully the service will continue post-COVID. 3x /week seems to be a winning formula for nonstops to Florida from Upstate airports in the winter and early spring, so they'll likely succeed during that period at least. It would be nice if TPA or even PIE were available for those who don't care to visit The Mouse, but at least I-4 is an easier drive than getting to an Upstate airport in the winter. :lol: I'd gladly have paid $150 more to get even a 1x /week nonstop from BGM to Florida, just to avoid the potential of a blizzard on the drive to or from SYR. :cold:

SYRAVGEEK

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 am

rocANDtpa wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:

Great addition for ROC! F9 seemed to help SYR allot and I believe SYR has overtaken ROC in passenger traffic. Hopefully this new airline will reverse this trend for ROC. I believe DEN will be added soon. Does anyone else see any other routes added by F9 in ROC?

Despite my rivalry with ROC, I do think they could Make a DEN, TPA, MYR, RSW, and/or ATL on F9. Also if SW wants to cut into F9’s market I know the perfect airport…

ROCDLFAN

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:44 am

With AA extending MIA into May for Memorial Day and potentially further into June, it’s clear there is untapped potential. I’ve long advocated for DEN and SJU non stop from ROC. Given the demand for travel between ROC and SJU, it has absolutely amazed me that a carrier never thought to launch even a Saturday only flight.

FWIW, starting next Saturday, 4/17, WN is bringing back weekly MCO and TPA service, with Tampa operated by the MAX. Will be nice to see the the MAX again up in ROC.

BUFJACK10

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am

F9 also announced BUF - MYR beginning 6/11. Probably as a response to Spirit temporarily suspending IAG during COVID. Congratulations to ROC with the addition. Any new service makes it easier on all upstate flyers.

Buffalomatt1027

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:40 pm

BUFJACK10 wrote:
F9 also announced BUF - MYR beginning 6/11. Probably as a response to Spirit temporarily suspending IAG during COVID. Congratulations to ROC with the addition. Any new service makes it easier on all upstate flyers.

This is good news for BUF MYR ..... Buffalo needs the boarder to open up to completely get back to 100%.

Buffalomatt1027

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
With AA extending MIA into May for Memorial Day and potentially further into June, it’s clear there is untapped potential. I’ve long advocated for DEN and SJU non stop from ROC. Given the demand for travel between ROC and SJU, it has absolutely amazed me that a carrier never thought to launch even a Saturday only flight.

FWIW, starting next Saturday, 4/17, WN is bringing back weekly MCO and TPA service, with Tampa operated by the MAX. Will be nice to see the the MAX again up in ROC.

That is awesome news for ROC!!

jplatts

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:19 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

DFW, EWR, JFK, ANC, and SFB are the only remaining U.S. airports without WN service that carried more domestic passengers than SYR in 2019, but WN already serves DAL in the DFW/DAL market, LGA in the NYC market, and MCO in the MCO/SFB market.

There are also some domestic destinations already served by WN that carried fewer domestic passengers in 2019 than SYR, including PNS, LIT, PWM, SRQ, ICT, COS, MHT, FAT, MAF, ECP, LBB, AMA, CRP, HRL, HDN, and MTJ.

WN has also recently added service to (or announced plans to serve) some destinations that carried fewer domestic passengers in 2019 than SYR, including BLI, BZN, COS, VPS, EUG, HDN, MTJ, and SRQ.

SYRAVGEEK

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:40 pm

With the AA/B6
    partnership does it seem likely that SYR's, BUF's, and ROC's BOS routes will be effected? I though that B6 could take over the AA BOS routes from AA or AA could make their BOS service seasonal, thoughts?

cosyr

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
    BUFJACK10 wrote:

This is good news for BUF MYR ..... Buffalo needs the boarder to open up to completely get back to 100%.

It's going to be a little while longer, since Ontario just entered a new 4 week stay at home order.

Buffalomatt1027

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:45 pm

cosyr wrote:
    Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
    BUFJACK10 wrote:

It's going to be a little while longer, since Ontario just entered a new 4 week stay at home order.

Yeah, I do not have my hopes up for that to happen any time soon.

ROCDLFAN

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 am

DL has started rolling out their June schedule changes, and unfortunately it appears MSP-BUF/ROC/SYR/ALB is no longer a month to month reduction, but an indefinite suspension. It's a shame, that flight was timed perfectly to be the earliest - and easiest option out to the West Coast - as well as offering several one stop connections to the Rockies.

WN has added several additional flights to ROC to accommodate for increased demand for May - most notably a second BWI RON that arrives in around 2100 and departs back about 0830 (this runs in addition to the 0620 kick off about 4X a week), as well as a 2nd MCO flight on select Saturday's.

jplatts

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
    WN has added several additional flights to ROC to accommodate for increased demand for May - most notably a second BWI RON that arrives in around 2100 and departs back about 0830 (this runs in addition to the 0620 kick off about 4X a week), as well as a 2nd MCO flight on select Saturday's.

WN re-adding ROC-MDW nonstop service is a possibility with other recent adds that WN made to the East Coast from MDW, including MDW-MIA/MYR/PWM/RIC/SRQ/SAV/IAD.

SYRAVGEEK

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
    DL has started rolling out their June schedule changes, and unfortunately it appears MSP-BUF/ROC/SYR/ALB is no longer a month to month reduction, but an indefinite suspension. It's a shame, that flight was timed perfectly to be the earliest - and easiest option out to the West Coast - as well as offering several one stop connections to the Rockies.

From what I can tell ROC is the only one that still has MSP service, on the A319. Shame it got cut tho, made it very easy to connect when I’d go to San Diego

panam330

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
    The FL-WN merger was 6 years ago, a lots changed since 2014. SYR has been going through TREMENDOUS growth. We're getting 2 new amazon facilities, we have a world renowned university, and we reacieve passengers from as far as Canada and Scranton. I will say that Rochester does have a bigger market, but SYR has been catching up. It's also important to note that BOTH SW & FL served SYR with good load factors (FL was in the late 90's and SW was Mid-2000's). SYR proved that they have a large market for Low Cost Airlines that fly to Vacation destinations with G4 and F9 jumping in.

The WN/FL merger was announced in 2010 and closed on May 2, 2011 - almost 10 years ago. ROC service switched from FL to WN on April 14, 2012 as FL was slowly merged into WN for the following 2 years.
    Secondly, if by SW you mean WN, they have never served SYR. And neither had FL. ValuJet/J7 did, however, but had left
    Syracuse before being folded into AirTran in 1999.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos