Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC4500

Re: Washington State Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:19 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
I wish Alaska would fly the Embraer 175 into Wenatchee, Yakima and Pasco even if tickets are $10 more each way. Jet service is better than propellers and people are more likely to fly if Alaska provided jet service. Very serious!!!

SEA-BLI too for that matter, AS used to fly a 737 on that route even if I remember correctly.

Yes...AS used to fly 737's between SEA and BLI, and it could happen again someday.

The 737s on SEA-BLI were meant to reposition crews and aircraft for their BLI-Hawaii flights. The only way we'll see 737s on SEA-BLI again is if they decide to resume flying from BLI to Hawaii.

sprxUSA

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:39 pm

PSA used to fly 146s and USAir after the buyout did MD80s very briefly SEA-BLI. I'd still rather see the EMBs , 402s and BNIs used by Harbor and San Juan back in the day LOL.

TheZ

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:43 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

SEA-BLI too for that matter, AS used to fly a 737 on that route even if I remember correctly.

Yes...AS used to fly 737's between SEA and BLI, and it could happen again someday.

The 737s on SEA-BLI were meant to reposition crews and aircraft for their BLI-Hawaii flights. The only way we'll see 737s on SEA-BLI again is if they decide to resume flying from BLI to Hawaii.

That makes sense! I was close to getting one of these flights once and hope I can get another chance someday.

wedgetail737

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:05 am

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

The only way that'll happen is when road travel between Canada and the US are unrestricted like before the pandemic and there is a large disparity in the exchange rate between USD and CAD. Also, I think AS was trying to compete with G4 on the Hawaii flights. Remember when G4 flew 757's into BLI?

BoeingGuy

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:54 am

jbs2886 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Raising prices also seems like a great way to increase demand… /sarcasm

Nobody in small towns like that is going to bat an eye at a $10 increase (if that were truly what the increase was) in comparison to driving hours over the passes to SeaTac

So, to the comment to which I was replying, they would rather spend hours driving over the passes than take a Q400?

People on A.net whine because they have to fly a Q400 for 45 minutes, or a CRJ for a couple of hours. Maybe people should stop whining and be thankful they have non-stop service or any service at all.

I just flew a Q400 SEA-RDD and enjoyed it. I’m just glad there was a flight there.

It’s absurd to think that anyone in Yakima, Walla Walla or Wenatchee makes a decision whether or not to fly based on whether there is a Q400 or E175 on the route.

MaxTrimm

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:38 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Nobody in small towns like that is going to bat an eye at a $10 increase (if that were truly what the increase was) in comparison to driving hours over the passes to SeaTac

So, to the comment to which I was replying, they would rather spend hours driving over the passes than take a Q400?

People on A.net whine because they have to fly a Q400 for 45 minutes, or a CRJ for a couple of hours. Maybe people should stop whining and be thankful they have non-stop service or any service at all.

I just flew a Q400 SEA-RDD and enjoyed it. I’m just glad there was a flight there.

It’s absurd to think that anyone in Yakima, Walla Walla or Wenatchee makes a decision whether or not to fly based on whether there is a Q400 or E175 on the route.

They don’t. Nobody does. There’s not even alternative options unless you drive. People from Wenatchee or Yakima that say that are lying if they truly mean it

gunsontheroof

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:43 am

dc10lover wrote:
I wish Alaska would fly the Embraer 175 into Wenatchee, Yakima and Pasco even if tickets are $10 more each way. Jet service is better than propellers and people are more likely to fly if Alaska provided jet service. Very serious!!!

SEA-PSC is E175 service and has been as long as it's been around. I doubt that YKM/EAT can support additional service to SEA. For that matter, those flights are barely long enough for snack service...I don't think you're on the aircraft long enough to think too hard about it.

joeblow10

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

SEA-PSC is E175 service and has been as long as it's been around. I doubt that YKM/EAT can support additional service to SEA. For that matter, those flights are barely long enough for snack service...I don't think you're on the aircraft long enough to think too hard about it.

SEA-PSC has been back to all Q400s for awhile now. Will be interesting to see what gets cut first if/when the pilot shortage gets bad at QX. Supposedly EAT was reduced this winter due to the shortage

gunsontheroof

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:10 am

joeblow10 wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

SEA-PSC has been back to all Q400s for awhile now. Will be interesting to see what gets cut first if/when the pilot shortage gets bad at QX. Supposedly EAT was reduced this winter due to the shortage[/quote

My bad! I somehow read that as DL.

AC4500

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 pm

Just noticed that UA plans on flying ORD-PSC: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... QAFIAZgBAg

Starts March 27, 2022 (Daily, E175 aircraft)

ORD-PSC: 8:00 PM - 10:24 PM
PSC-ORD: 7:38 AM - 1:20 PM

Is this a recent add or has this been in the schedule for awhile?

DenverTed

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:28 pm

I didn't realize PSC was such a large airport. Pendleton used to have United 727 service in the 70's, but look at it now. I'm curious to the airport rankings by size in WA, OR, ID, and MT. I think PSC ranks higher than I would have guessed in that comparison.

Chugach

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm

DenverTed wrote:
I didn't realize PSC was such a large airport. Pendleton used to have United 727 service in the 70's, but look at it now. I'm curious to the airport rankings by size in WA, OR, ID, and MT. I think PSC ranks higher than I would have guessed in that comparison.

PSC has a pretty big catchment area that also includes a big chunk of NE Oregon. I believe it’s the third busiest airport in Washington after SEA and GEG.

PDT and ALW have token service to PDX and SEA, respectively, but if you’re going south or east PSC is easily the best choice.

Boof02671

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:49 pm

Chugach wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

PSC has a pretty big catchment area that also includes a big chunk of NE Oregon. I believe it’s the third busiest airport in Washington after SEA and GEG.

PDT and ALW have token service to PDX and SEA, respectively, but if you’re going south or east PSC is easily the best choice.

I’m flying CLT-MSP-PSC round trip in February to see my sister, she’s in Oregon. Delta cut all afternoon flights from PSC.

QXFLYINGCOUG

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 pm

I would love to see theE175 on EAT-SEA, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. It's such a short flight anyway and the Q400 is plenty of aircraft for that flight. Sure beats driving across the pass and having to pay for parking! People that are complaining about flying on a turboprop can do that if they want. It would be nice to go back to three flights a day too, but apparently the business travel hasn't rebounded that they've even had to cut a few of our flights into EAT. Love flying QX and our community needs to continue to support them!

BoeingGuy

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm

QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:
I would love to see theE175 on EAT-SEA, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. It's such a short flight anyway and the Q400 is plenty of aircraft for that flight. Sure beats driving across the pass and having to pay for parking! People that are complaining about flying on a turboprop can do that if they want. It would be nice to go back to three flights a day too, but apparently the business travel hasn't rebounded that they've even had to cut a few of our flights into EAT. Love flying QX and our community needs to continue to support them!

What ever became of the proposed UA SFO-EAT flight?

QXFLYINGCOUG

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:26 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:

Covid pretty much killed that. Apparently the Port District raised the money they needed to support it and it’s still in the bank, but I don’t see any airlines that would really want to jump on that right now, especially with business travel down so much and Zoom meetings taking the place of it.

Wneast

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:10 pm

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1464248976614559746 Looks like GEG could be getting Canada flights again

wedgetail737

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Wneast wrote:
https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1464248976614559746 Looks like GEG could be getting Canada flights again

That will be cool. The last time GEG had Canada service was to YVR on an Air Canada commuter using a Beech 1900. Keep this up, Pasco is going to need more Saabs.

dc10lover

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:

It never materialized. The market is just too small.

dc10lover

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Chugach wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

Plus many people from Yakima, Washington take the short drive to Pasco & fly out - mainly fly East & South from Pasco.

dc10lover

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

SEA-PSC has been back to all Q400s for awhile now. Will be interesting to see what gets cut first if/when the pilot shortage gets bad at QX. Supposedly EAT was reduced this winter due to the shortage[/quote

DL does fly the E175 / 170 between Pasco & Seattle.

wedgetail737

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:01 am

dc10lover wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Yes...DL currently had 3X daily flights between SEA and PSC using Skywest E-175s.

gunsontheroof

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:11 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

Yes...DL currently had 3X daily flights between SEA and PSC using Skywest E-175s.

Yes, I'm aware. I misread the post re: QX doing the same in place of Q400s. The E175 is a nicer ride, but for a flight that short, I don't think it matters to most flyers. For that matter, we're getting to the point where the Q400 is pretty much relegated to intra PNW flying. I don't see AS switching those services to E175s any time soon, especially when they've proven effective in opening smaller markets further afield.

Boof02671

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:14 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

Seems delta cut more flights to PSC now my morning flights were changed instead of getting in at noon I’m getting in at 8pm with a 3 1/2 layover at MSP. Going to have to call them once again

frmrCapCadet

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Keep in mind, from Winthrop, Wenatchee, Yakima going west to Seattle involves immediately climbing to a safe elevation above the Cascade mountains. Pasco and Walla Walla do not face the same geography. Perhaps a pilot would address this. My guess is that those three airports need a very capable plane to fly a very short distance. They also have comparatively low populations so economics are not in their favor.

wedgetail737

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Yes, I'm aware. I misread the post re: QX doing the same in place of Q400s. The E175 is a nicer ride, but for a flight that short, I don't think it matters to most flyers. For that matter, we're getting to the point where the Q400 is pretty much relegated to intra PNW flying. I don't see AS switching those services to E175s any time soon, especially when they've proven effective in opening smaller markets further afield.

The flight time between SEA and PSC is only about 30 minutes on a Q400...about the same flight time as SEA-PDX. It's hardly enough time to get drinks and snacks out to pax.

wedgetail737

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:49 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Keep in mind, from Winthrop, Wenatchee, Yakima going west to Seattle involves immediately climbing to a safe elevation above the Cascade mountains. Pasco and Walla Walla do not face the same geography. Perhaps a pilot would address this. My guess is that those three airports need a very capable plane to fly a very short distance. They also have comparatively low populations so economics are not in their favor.

The difference between Wenatchee/Yakima vs. Pasco/Walla Walla is their proximity to the mountains. Wenatchee and Yakima are a lot closer to the Cascades than Pasco and Walla Walla. But QX has been serving Yakima and Wenatchee for years.

Prost

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:58 pm

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... 1a34c004bf

Snohomish County paid for a study on traffic growth at PAE, and pre-pandemic they expected a 400% increase by the year 2040. There’s more information in the article, but it’ll be interesting to see what changes PAE undergoes in the future.

TheZ

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Prost wrote:
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/paine-field-travel-demand-everett/281-711bc925-95e8-4ba3-9f2f-221a34c004bf

Snohomish County paid for a study on traffic growth at PAE, and pre-pandemic they expected a 400% increase by the year 2040. There’s more information in the article, but it’ll be interesting to see what changes PAE undergoes in the future.

That would be great but first thing we need to have more than just Alaska serving the airport. I'd love to see someone bring flights to a few mid-continent hubs like DFW and DEN, or maybe even ORD. If those can be successful then PAE could really be on to something. It's a shame UA pulled out.

wedgetail737

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:31 pm

TheZ wrote:
Prost wrote:
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/paine-field-travel-demand-everett/281-711bc925-95e8-4ba3-9f2f-221a34c004bf

That would be great but first thing we need to have more than just Alaska serving the airport. I'd love to see someone bring flights to a few mid-continent hubs like DFW and DEN, or maybe even ORD. If those can be successful then PAE could really be on to something. It's a shame UA pulled out.

There is nothing out there that says UA could not return to PAE when things get better.

DenverTed

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 pm

TheZ wrote:
Prost wrote:

Considering the amount of traffic between Denver and western WA, I think AS could try PAE-DEN, or WN could try BLI-DEN.

USAirKid

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:
Prost wrote:

There is nothing out there that says UA could not return to PAE when things get better.

They’d have to go back to Propeller for the gates. Last I checked they ended their lease and Propeller is looking at finding another airline for that gate capacity.

Boof02671

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:32 am

Anyone know why Delta has cut so many midday, afternoon and night flights to and from PSC?

Seems every Saturday night they change and cut more. I’ve had my reservation for two weeks and there had already been four flight changes due to cuts.
Last edited by Boof02671 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dc10lover

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 am

I think Alaska ordered 16(?) more Embraer 175's. Wonder how many Q400 pilots are going to move up to the Embraer 175. Still want to see the Embraer 175 in Wenatchee Washington.

wedgetail737

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 am

USAirKid wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

They’d have to go back to Propeller for the gates. Last I checked they ended their lease and Propeller is looking at finding another airline for that gate capacity.

There was a Tweet where Propeller said they had a new tenant, but didn't have the authority to say anything...that was a few months ago. My guess is that there is not yet a new tenant.

dc10lover

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:27 pm

I would love to see AS have GEG - LAS / PHX non - stop service.

Wneast

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 pm

dc10lover wrote:

I would love to see GEG get love from AS but they seem to be focused on BOI

dc10lover

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Wneast wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Just like Austin which is growing fast, State Capitols is where the focus is on.

BoeingGuy

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Wneast wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Just like Austin which is growing fast, State Capitols is where the focus is on.

I don’t think it has anything to do with being a state capitol. I don’t see AS rushing to add service at SLE or increase service at SMF.

Both AUS and BOI are growing fast and AS sees opportunities there. It wouldn't surprise me to see some additional service to GEG either. Seems like people are moving to places like BOI, RDM, AUS, and GEG because they want to get away from the traffic, homeless, graffiti and crime of the bigger cities.

wedgetail737

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:19 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I don’t think it has anything to do with being a state capitol. I don’t see AS rushing to add service at SLE or increase service at SMF.

Both AUS and BOI are growing fast and AS sees opportunities there. It wouldn't surprise me to see some additional service to GEG either. Seems like people are moving to places like BOI, RDM, AUS, and GEG because they want to get away from the traffic, homeless, graffiti and crime of the bigger cities.

Lot of them are coming from S.F. and L.A. areas. I think it's just a matter of time GEG will get additional service from AS. Don't forget Westjet has applied for GEG-YVR and GEG-YYC.

Wneast

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:44 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Lot of them are coming from S.F. and L.A. areas. I think it's just a matter of time GEG will get additional service from AS. Don't forget Westjet has applied for GEG-YVR and GEG-YYC.

Yes they did hopefully it starts and gets upgraded I saw a article saying maybe they could potentially codeshare with partner Delta on the route in the future and upguage the aircraft. I feel like next summer might be big for GEG and WN seems to like GEG they could add some more I heard SNA might come back daily year round in January let’s see if we get anything on Wednesday

wedgetail737

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:21 am

Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Yes they did hopefully it starts and gets upgraded I saw a article saying maybe they could potentially codeshare with partner Delta on the route in the future and upguage the aircraft. I feel like next summer might be big for GEG and WN seems to like GEG they could add some more I heard SNA might come back daily year round in January let’s see if we get anything on Wednesday

WS Encore started flying to SEA fairly recently using Q400's to YYC. They plan to increase it to 2X daily by Summer 2022.

If GEG does well, maybe it will go from SF340's to Q400's. Some years ago, an Air Canada commuter airline briefly tried GEG-YVR using 1900's.

dc10lover

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:21 pm

aha! starts service in geg soon with service to reno. I would love to see one daily flight eventually.

sprxUSA

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 pm

I dont see GEG as worthwhile. Not really any business connections that I can see to make it work. No one will be flying YYC-GEG-XXX as 99%+ of GEG nonstop cities are easily, and probably more so, available from YYC and YVR. Every previous route seemed to fail or was there only due to regs at the time. UA, RW, AC*, FL , CZ etc. It'll be as successful as the many tried Big Sky Airlines flight they kept trying into YYC years ago IMO. Good luck though,

dc10lover

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 am

Seattle-Tacoma Intl. Airport
@flySEA
·
1h
We’re thrilled to welcome back
@SingaporeAir
to SEA and their 4 flights/week to SIN!

wedgetail737

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 am

I also noticed ANA has brought back their SEA-HND service and Air France is returning to SEA a little later this month with A350's to CDG.

dc10lover

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:14 pm

Seattle-Tacoma Intl. Airport Retweeted
Finnair
@Finnair
·
8h
Exciting news for the summer: we will start flying to Seattle in June! The Emerald City offers breathtakingly beautiful nature, great restaurants, world-famous architecture and much more. Check out our tips for the sparkling jewel of the Pacific Northwest

dc10lover

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:16 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Finnair
@Finnair
·
8h
Exciting news for the summer: we will start flying to Seattle in June! The Emerald City offers breathtakingly beautiful nature, great restaurants, world-famous architecture and much more. Check out our tips for the sparkling jewel of the Pacific Northwest

Seattle-Tacoma Intl. Airport
@flySEA
·
22m
Hello Helsinki! Waving hand We’re excited to welcome
@Finnair
to SEA. Starting June 1, 2022, the airline will begin nonstop service to Helsinki (HEL) three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) using an Airbus A330.

ER757

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:47 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Finnair
@Finnair
·
8h

Wow! It has been a long, long time since they served SEA - gotta be almost 30 years. I thought they might return when SAS stopped a few years ago. Looking forward to their return. Lots of international service starting to come back (previous posts noting SQ and AF, plus TK coming soon). That new FIS needs to get opened up quick!

Western727

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:32 pm

ER757 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Finnair
@Finnair
·
8h

Wow! It has been a long, long time since they served SEA - gotta be almost 30 years. I thought they might return when SAS stopped a few years ago. Looking forward to their return. Lots of international service starting to come back (previous posts noting SQ and AF, plus TK coming soon). That new FIS needs to get opened up quick!

I'd forgotten about the new FIS. Does anyone know the projected open date?

And having grown up in SEA I found myself wondering when Finnair pulled out. Does anyone know? I vaguely recall their DC-10 (MD-11, maybe even?) at the N satellite...did they indeed depart from there back in the day?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos