Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

The Rest of Tennessee (TYS, CHA, TRI ect.) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:29 am

Welcome to the the rest of Tennessee (TYS, CHA, TRI ect.) Aviation Thread - 2021. Please continue to post your news and your discussion here.

Link to previous thread:

The rest of Tennessee (TYS, CHA, TRI ect.) Aviation Thread - 2020

TYSflyer

Re: The Rest of Tennessee (TYS, CHA, TRI ect.) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm

It has been quiet here at TYS lately, but I thought this would be a good time to summarize where we stand currently with air service. October 2020 was down only 50% compared to 2019, but I’m concerned that will not be sustained into November and December given the significant surge in Covid cases locally. G4 had announced 5 new destinations from TYS right before Covid hit. Of those, MYR appears to be the only victim of Covid as it never launched last year and is not in the schedules for this summer. HOU is currently operating, and MDW, BOS and AUS are all set to return in February. The 2 routes I’m hopeful to see resume this spring/ summer are MSP and MIA. Both remain on the schedule for their respective carriers, but with the close in schedule updates they continue to both be removed. The biggest air service goal will continue to be WN. As usual, TYS continues to remain on the notorious list of largest markets without WN. Maybe 2021 will change that. I do feel they would thrive in this market, but they continue to pass on TYS for some reason.

Runway765

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:39 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
It has been quiet here at TYS lately, but I thought this would be a good time to summarize where we stand currently with air service. October 2020 was down only 50% compared to 2019, but I’m concerned that will not be sustained into November and December given the significant surge in Covid cases locally. G4 had announced 5 new destinations from TYS right before Covid hit. Of those, MYR appears to be the only victim of Covid as it never launched last year and is not in the schedules for this summer. HOU is currently operating, and MDW, BOS and AUS are all set to return in February. The 2 routes I’m hopeful to see resume this spring/ summer are MSP and MIA. Both remain on the schedule for their respective carriers, but with the close in schedule updates they continue to both be removed. The biggest air service goal will continue to be WN. As usual, TYS continues to remain on the notorious list of largest markets without WN. Maybe 2021 will change that. I do feel they would thrive in this market, but they continue to pass on TYS for some reason.

Have they finished the 10,000 ft runway project at TYS?

TYSflyer

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Runway765 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Have they finished the 10,000 ft runway project at TYS?

Soon to be completed. All the concrete pouring work has been completed and currently working on lighting and such. Although, unfortunately, I don’t know an estimated completion date. I just know from the last board meeting it was delayed partially due to covid but moving along well now.

IADCA

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Some service is still coming back here in CHA: AA to DCA resumed last week. But LGA and DTW are still on hold with DL (and ATL is still all RJs, although frequency is still solid). Not sure how loads and yields are doing.

jplatts

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
The biggest air service goal will continue to be WN. As usual, TYS continues to remain on the notorious list of largest markets without WN. Maybe 2021 will change that. I do feel they would thrive in this market, but they continue to pass on TYS for some reason.

I had previously mentioned WN adding service to TYS as a possibility with TYS being one of the top remaining U.S. markets without WN service.

DFW, EWR, JFK, ANC, SFB, and SYR are the only remaining U.S. airports that carried more passengers than TYS in 2019 that aren't served by WN, but WN already serves DAL in the DFW/DAL market, LGA in the NYC market, and MCO in the MCO/SFB market.

I likely expect WN to announce plans to add service to TYS soon with WN having recently added some other new destinations and with TYS being one of the top remaining contiguous U.S. markets without WN service.

tys777

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:30 pm

I haven't been in TYS since the pandemic set in. What is the gate situation like? Where would WN fit in? Things seemed to be fairly tight pre pandemic.

From what I remember, on the left side, G4, F9, and DL where solidly using those 6, and UA/AA had the other side fairly full. Consolidate UA/AA to two each with UA also using the ground boarding spot they had been using, and then leave the empty two gates on the right for WN?

TYSflyer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:08 am

tys777 wrote:
I haven't been in TYS since the pandemic set in. What is the gate situation like? Where would WN fit in? Things seemed to be fairly tight pre pandemic.

From what I remember, on the left side, G4, F9, and DL where solidly using those 6, and UA/AA had the other side fairly full. Consolidate UA/AA to two each with UA also using the ground boarding spot they had been using, and then leave the empty two gates on the right for WN?

Yes, things were definitely tight pre-pandemic. The entire infrastructure seemed strained pushing 2.5 million people through. But now it definitely would not be a problem. DL will be operating 11 daily flights in May as will UA. Each one currently operates from 3 gates so they could easily be consolidated to 2 each. G4 primarily just uses 2 gates with the occasional departure from their 3rd gate. I think if WN comes anytime soon they will likely use gate 6. Right now the only airline that needs three gates is AA. F9 doesn’t complicate things much with their 2-3 weekly departures. The airport authority does not have any plans soon to expand the terminal. They are fortunately doing some updates though. Recently expanded the security area, adding a 3rd baggage claim and increasing the tarmac space for RON aircraft.

tys777

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:19 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

Yes, things were definitely tight pre-pandemic. The entire infrastructure seemed strained pushing 2.5 million people through. But now it definitely would not be a problem. DL will be operating 11 daily flights in May as will UA. Each one currently operates from 3 gates so they could easily be consolidated to 2 each. G4 primarily just uses 2 gates with the occasional departure from their 3rd gate. I think if WN comes anytime soon they will likely use gate 6. Right now the only airline that needs three gates is AA. F9 doesn’t complicate things much with their 2-3 weekly departures. The airport authority does not have any plans soon to expand the terminal. They are fortunately doing some updates though. Recently expanded the security area, adding a 3rd baggage claim and increasing the tarmac space for RON aircraft.

My big concern is post pandemic when traffic rebounds, would there be space? Don't get me wrong, the airport should do everything to find the space. It's just that the terminal was bursting at times, from the security checkpoint, to the lack of counter space. It could be a cluster especially in the morning.

tys777

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Has anyone heard if CHA ever hired anyone to do design for the terminal expansion? The last master plan I saw called for construction to begin in 2021 after the garage was finished, and that should be completed this summer.

https://cha-airport.squarespace.com/s/C ... -Draft.pdf

TYSflyer

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm

tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

My big concern is post pandemic when traffic rebounds, would there be space? Don't get me wrong, the airport should do everything to find the space. It's just that the terminal was bursting at times, from the security checkpoint, to the lack of counter space. It could be a cluster especially in the morning.

TYSflyer

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:31 pm

tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

I think we have a financially conservative airport administration and obviously that is good and bad. I don’t think they want to carry much excessive debt which was a good thing over the last year, but I think they tend to be more reactive than proactive. People are moving to the area in incredible numbers currently (like many other areas in the south), and the current terminal will likely be stressed once traffic fully rebounds. I do like the new president as he seems to have more foresight than some of the other members of the administration. The current timeline for the terminal expansion is to commence in roughly 5 years. That seems a bit far out especially if they ever secure WN.

jplatts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 am

TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

I think we have a financially conservative airport administration and obviously that is good and bad. I don’t think they want to carry much excessive debt which was a good thing over the last year, but I think they tend to be more reactive than proactive. People are moving to the area in incredible numbers currently (like many other areas in the south), and the current terminal will likely be stressed once traffic fully rebounds. I do like the new president as he seems to have more foresight than some of the other members of the administration. The current timeline for the terminal expansion is to commence in roughly 5 years. That seems a bit far out especially if they ever secure WN.

While most of the destinations that WN would likely be serving nonstop from TYS such as BWI, MDW, DEN, and HOU already have nonstop service out of TYS on G4 on at least a seasonal basis, I would likely expect WN to add nonstop service out of TYS to DAL, which isn't currently served by G4, with
(a) WN recently adding nonstop service out of DAL to other leisure destinations such as BZN, VPS, HDN, MIA, MTJ, MYR, SRQ, and SAV,
(b) TYS-DFW/DAL currently lacking any nonstop competition with AA currently being the only airline serving the DFW/DAL market nonstop from TYS, and
(c) TYS-DFW/DAL being one of the top remaining routes out of DFW/DAL without any nonstop competition.

While G4 already serves PIE nonstop from TYS, WN adding TYS-TPA nonstop service might be a possibility if it enters the TYS market with the Tampa Bay Area being one of the top markets traveled to from TYS and with TPA currently having no nonstop service from TYS.

WN adding TYS-ATL nonstop service might be a possibility with the connections that WN would be offering to destinations such as FLL, RSW, JAN, JAX, LIT, MEM, MYR, MSY, OKC, RDU, RIC, and PBI through ATL.

WN has reasons to add service to TYS, even with limited room to accommodate WN at TYS, including
(a) TYS being one of the top remaining U.S. markets without WN service,
(b) WN already having a significant FF base in the Baltimore/Washington, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Houston, and other markets in the U.S. to support WN service out of TYS, and
(c) WN would be offering connections to some destinations not currently served nonstop from TYS if it adds service out of TYS.

TYSflyer

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:27 am

jplatts wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

While most of the destinations that WN would likely be serving nonstop from TYS such as BWI, MDW, DEN, and HOU already have nonstop service out of TYS on G4 on at least a seasonal basis, I would likely expect WN to add nonstop service out of TYS to DAL, which isn't currently served by G4, with
(a) WN recently adding nonstop service out of DAL to other leisure destinations such as BZN, VPS, HDN, MIA, MTJ, MYR, SRQ, and SAV,
(b) TYS-DFW/DAL currently lacking any nonstop competition with AA currently being the only airline serving the DFW/DAL market nonstop from TYS, and
(c) TYS-DFW/DAL being one of the top remaining routes out of DFW/DAL without any nonstop competition.

While G4 already serves PIE nonstop from TYS, WN adding TYS-TPA nonstop service might be a possibility if it enters the TYS market with the Tampa Bay Area being one of the top markets traveled to from TYS and with TPA currently having no nonstop service from TYS.

WN adding TYS-ATL nonstop service might be a possibility with the connections that WN would be offering to destinations such as FLL, RSW, JAN, JAX, LIT, MEM, MYR, MSY, OKC, RDU, RIC, and PBI through ATL.

WN has reasons to add service to TYS, even with limited room to accommodate WN at TYS, including
(a) TYS being one of the top remaining U.S. markets without WN service,
(b) WN already having a significant FF base in the Baltimore/Washington, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Houston, and other markets in the U.S. to support WN service out of TYS, and
(c) WN would be offering connections to some destinations not currently served nonstop from TYS if it adds service out of TYS.

I appreciate your insight. Personally, I have a hard time speculating on routes when they haven’t even announced service to TYS. However, if and when they they do, I think their route structure will likely mirror GSP somewhat. On another note, I would not be surprised if G4 enters either DFW/DAL at some point soon. I think they would prefer DAL but there are obvious hindrances to enter that market.

jplatts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:03 am

TYSflyer wrote:
I appreciate your insight. Personally, I have a hard time speculating on routes when they haven’t even announced service to TYS. However, if and when they they do, I think their route structure will likely mirror GSP somewhat. On another note, I would not be surprised if G4 enters either DFW/DAL at some point soon. I think they would prefer DAL but there are obvious hindrances to enter that market.

Most of the domestic destinations that G4 would be serving nonstop from the DFW/DAL market already have WN service, but there are a few other leisure destinations not served by WN such as AVL, GPT, FCA, and JAC that G4 could serve nonstop from the DFW/DAL market if G4 adds service to the DFW/DAL market.

jplatts

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:12 am

TYSflyer wrote:
However, if and when they they do, I think their route structure will likely mirror GSP somewhat.

While TYS had lower PDEW's to many destinations than GSP did in 2019, TYS can probably support more WN service than GSP with the significant amount of leisure travel that is there to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge. I would also likely expect WN to add nonstop service out of TYS to a few destinations that WN never served nonstop from GSP such as DAL and DEN if WN adds service to TYS, especially with the recent adds that WN has made out of both DAL and DEN to other leisure destinations.

There is also some leakage to BNA from the TYS market with some airlines such as WN, NK, AS, B6, and SY serving BNA but not TYS, and the leakage that is there to BNA from the TYS market is also likely lowering PDEW's to many destinations from TYS.

ATLgaUSA

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:45 am

jplatts wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
However, if and when they they do, I think their route structure will likely mirror GSP somewhat.

While TYS had lower PDEW's to many destinations than GSP did in 2019, TYS can probably support more WN service than GSP with the significant amount of leisure travel that is there to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge. I would also likely expect WN to add nonstop service out of TYS to a few destinations that WN never served nonstop from GSP such as DAL and DEN if WN adds service to TYS, especially with the recent adds that WN has made out of both DAL and DEN to other leisure destinations.

There is also some leakage to BNA from the TYS market with some airlines such as WN, NK, AS, B6, and SY serving BNA but not TYS, and the leakage that is there to BNA from the TYS market is also likely lowering PDEW's to many destinations from TYS.

The Smokey Mountains tend to attract a lower socioeconomic group than the highlands/cashiers area which is closer to GSP/AVL. I’ve been to gatlinburg and pigeon forge a couple of times and the attractions there don’t seem attractive to a fly-in crowd.

Poorpilot

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:35 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
jplatts wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

The Smokey Mountains tend to attract a lower socioeconomic group than the highlands/cashiers area which is closer to GSP/AVL. I’ve been to gatlinburg and pigeon forge a couple of times and the attractions there don’t seem attractive to a fly-in crowd.

That’s a pretty bold blanket statement, don’t you think? Yes, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are very touristy, but the Smokey Mountains encompass quite a bit more than just these two cities.

TYSflyer

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:29 pm

Delta loaded their June schedule this a.m. TYS-MSP finally returns. Mainline is back on TYS-ATL. TYS-DTW sees frequency increase to 3 CR9. Funny that DTW is at almost the same capacity as pre-Covid. Previously operated as 5 CR2. LGA still cut and who knows when that will return. Overall pleased with the June schedule for TYS.

dennypayne

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:48 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:

Somebody doesn't know about Blackberry Farms I guess... :lol:

TYSflyer wrote:
Delta loaded their June schedule this a.m. TYS-MSP finally returns. Mainline is back on TYS-ATL. TYS-DTW sees frequency increase to 3 CR9. Funny that DTW is at almost the same capacity as pre-Covid. Previously operated as 5 CR2. LGA still cut and who knows when that will return. Overall pleased with the June schedule for TYS.

Great to see MSP returning - that's usually the most efficient way back to TYS from Seattle for me (not that my company is allowing us to travel anytime soon). Hopefully the CR2's will remain gone from DTW - I tend to actively book away from those. I hope the LGA flight comes back sooner rather than later.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2

ATLgaUSA

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:01 pm

dennypayne wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

Somebody doesn't know about Blackberry Farms I guess... :lol:

I know about Blackberry Farms but it doesn’t have sufficient capacity to drive any meaningful air traffic.

airguardtn

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:31 pm

Well with B6 announcing AVL and additional service to BNA, I don’t think we will see them at TYS any time soon! Honestly I don’t see WN coming to.

dennypayne

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:04 pm

airguardtn wrote:
Well with B6 announcing AVL and additional service to BNA, I don’t think we will see them at TYS any time soon! Honestly I don’t see WN coming to.

To me B6 is a tough sell for any non-coastal markets since there is significant backtracking involved to connect via BOS or JFK. Even when I lived in DFW there was little reason for me to take them unless I was going specifically to one of their hubs, and even then, why dilute your AAdvantage/Skymiles/MileagePlus earnings if you live in one of these markets? I feel like these flights are primarily supported by O&D from the BOS & JFK ends since it's just not a good connecting situation for anyone else. Happy to be corrected if data shows otherwise though.

All that said, it would seem an E190 wouldn't go amiss in TYS if they can make AVL work too.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2

TYSflyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:04 pm

airguardtn wrote:

B6 goes where northeast travelers want to go. East Tennessee is not a big destination at all for northeast travelers. I have never considered TYS a serious contender for B6. AVL on the other hand is a hot spot from the northeast so to me I’m not surprised by this. I think it will really be a dagger to TYS if AVL lands WN which very well may happen. I genuinely feel there is a lot of complacency within the airport authority here at TYS and this is evidenced from their media statements. They spend an inordinate amount of time defending why WN does not serve the market and touting how great the number of nonstop destinations is from a market this size.

TYSflyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:09 pm

dennypayne wrote:
airguardtn wrote:

To me B6 is a tough sell for any non-coastal markets since there is significant backtracking involved to connect via BOS or JFK. Even when I lived in DFW there was little reason for me to take them unless I was going specifically to one of their hubs, and even then, why dilute your AAdvantage/Skymiles/MileagePlus earnings if you live in one of these markets? I feel like these flights are primarily supported by O&D from the BOS & JFK ends since it's just not a good connecting situation for anyone else. Happy to be corrected if data shows otherwise though.

All that said, it would seem an E190 wouldn't go amiss in TYS if they can make AVL work too.

I highly doubt B6 will ever serve TYS. Best chance to ever see an E190 at TYS will be Breeze. Given the size of the Knoxville to Orlando market it is rather frustrating that no carrier serves MCO. G4 does provide very good service to SFB. However, maybe the lack of a carrier to MCO will entice Breeze to enter TYS-MCO at some point.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos