Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

North Central/East Coast Florida (JAX/UST/GNV/DAB/MLB/VRB) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:37 am

Welcome to the North Central/East Coast Florida (JAX/UST/GNV/DAB/MLB/VRB) Aviation Thread 2021. Please continue to post your news and your discussion here.

Link to previous thread:

North Central/East Coast Florida (JAX, UST, GNV, DAB, MLB, VRB) Aviation Thread - 2020

flymco753

Re: North Central/East Coast Florida (JAX/UST/GNV/DAB/MLB/VRB) Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:55 pm

I have a suggestion to the mods, perhaps we should merge MLB with MCO & SFB. I also feel like including TPA & PIE in would create a Central Florida Aviation discussion and better utilize the thread other than just Orlando.

crownvic

Re: North Central/East Coast Florida (JAX/UST/GNV/DAB/MLB/VRB) Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm

NO NO No please do not merge MCO with any other airport threads. MCO is stand alone..MLB, DAB and MLB I can see merging but not MCO!

DeltaRules

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:13 pm

Any word on how DAB-DFW/PHL are doing so far?

madg

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:32 am

I know the first day on the DAB-PHL Flight they came in with 12 and left with 32. I looked at the DFW run last week and they seem to have decent loads. AA Also, announced Saturday MLB-DFW A few weeks ago.

doulasc

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:40 am

I read a posting on Facebook that there's no New York City flights from MLB that's where JetBlue or maybe Breeze could come in JetBlue tried DAB to JFK a while back but pulled out of Daytona

evank516

Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 am

doulasc wrote:
I read a posting on Facebook that there's no New York City flights from MLB that's where JetBlue or maybe Breeze could come in JetBlue tried DAB to JFK a while back but pulled out of Daytona

With MLB and DAB being relatively similar markets, and with it being an easier drive to MCO from MLB than it is from DAB I wouldn’t expect to see B6 there anytime soon even more so with business travel demand so depressed.

evank516

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:55 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

DAB-DFW is doing well. Bookings were strong enough for AA to extend the service to August 16. Strong feeling this will become year round.

DeltaRules

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 am

evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

DAB-DFW is doing well. Bookings were strong enough for AA to extend the service to August 16. Strong feeling this will become year round.

Wow, and that's daily by the looks of the OAG thread, too!

JaxMan19

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:02 am

JAX has had a nice rebound with some recent adds from Q3 of 2020 until now, including:

B6: JAX-RDU,LAX, EWR
DL: JAX-RDU (resumption)
3M: JAX-FLL, GSP and TPA (resumption)
WN: JAX-STL, DCA

Definitely alot more than I anticipated at this point. Jacksonville's economy has rebounded ahead of most major metros and has seen an influx of new residents. Hoping to get back in position to build Concourse B. To think we were only months away from groundbreaking before the pandemic!

evank516

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:11 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Wow, and that's daily by the looks of the OAG thread, too!

It makes sense. DFW is their largest hub. I would have been surprised if it failed even in today’s economic conditions.

FLALEFTY

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:01 pm

Since the I-95/I-4/International Speedway Blvd. interchanges have been redone, DAB is now pretty easily accessible to a wide catchment area. DAB has all of the infrastructure needed to grow. If I were on the Breeze committee deciding what markets to try, DAB would be high on the list.

Jacksonville is a good, honest, hard-working town with lots going for it. Also, the catchment areas to the north and south of JAX are growing fast. While the Concourse B project is on hold due to the pandemic, the plans are still in place to resume the project, perhaps as soon as 2022.

stl07

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:08 pm

JaxMan19 wrote:
JAX has had a nice rebound with some recent adds from Q3 of 2020 until now, including:

B6: JAX-RDU,LAX, EWR
DL: JAX-RDU (resumption)
3M: JAX-FLL, GSP and TPA (resumption)
WN: JAX-STL, DCA

Definitely alot more than I anticipated at this point. Jacksonville's economy has rebounded ahead of most major metros and has seen an influx of new residents. Hoping to get back in position to build Concourse B. To think we were only months away from groundbreaking before the pandemic!

Service to both BLV and STL! That's pretty impressive honestly speaking.

JaxMan19

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:52 am

Do you think both will last?

Jacksonville is a good, honest, hard-working town with lots going for it. Also, the catchment areas to the north and south of JAX are growing fast. While the Concourse B project is on hold due to the pandemic, the plans are still in place to resume the project, perhaps as soon as 2022.

2022 might be a little optimistic, I was thinking 2025, but I hope I am wrong!

FLALEFTY

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:03 am

JaxMan19 wrote:

They were saying a 3-year delay on JAX Concourse B back in June, but things seem to be picking up faster as more fliers get vaccinated. You are right, maybe 2022 is a bit early, but 2023 seems reasonably possible.

JaxMan19

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:11 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
JaxMan19 wrote:

They were saying a 3-year delay on JAX Concourse B back in June, but things seem to be picking up faster as more fliers get vaccinated. You are right, maybe 2022 is a bit early, but 2023 seems reasonably possible.

Well if everything keeps trending the way it is I think 2023 can be accurate. Also, with Florida continuing to see the migration it has been seeing, it will help the cause as well.

FF630

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:40 am

JAX area is growing fast, central and south Florida has become very dense, therefore development has moved north. JAX economy is fairly diversified which lends to growth, not dependent on tourism. St. Johns and Nassau county school districts which are part of the MSA have the top rated schools in the state which is driving the growth.

As travel picks back up the airport will get back to the pre pandemic robust growth. The nonstop to LAX may be a little early but will eventually do well. The Delta A220 would fit that market well, suspect JB may eventually find the A220 better suited to JAX-LAX.

By '25 JAX should have direct service to Europe a few days per week

madg

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:47 am

AA Starts MLB-DFW Saturday Flights in a few weeks & goes up to 4 flights a day from MLB-CLT in March. I think the Additional, CLT flight is just for March.
Elite Airways is also adding some additional VRB-EWR Flights in April.

DeltaRules

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:58 pm

I saw there was an uptick on DAB-DFW, but didn't realized they'd upped it to daily NOW.

madg

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:37 am

DeltaRules wrote:
I saw there was an uptick on DAB-DFW, but didn't realized they'd upped it to daily NOW.

DFW-DAB for the most part has been daily. However, as of now it's just scheduled till the end of spring. If it does well AA has indicated it would be year round.

DeltaRules

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:16 pm

DAB-PHL continues through at least August and goes daily in June and July. GREAT stuff!

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:52 pm

What's the deal with F9 flying MCO-JAX-MCO on Saturdays? What a fun/random little flight; too bad it's not timed right for a day trip in either direction.

krsw757

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 pm

If I remember correctly it has to do with the CARES act and not being able to drop JAX. I would have thought it’d be better to make JAX a stopover on a route or two than running a separate out and back flight.

madg

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:35 am

DFW-MLB Starts & PHL-MLB Resume today. DFW-MLB looks so/so PHL-MLB Shows only a few seats open. Also, next month AA a Adds 4th flight on CLT-MLB.

DeltaRules

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:10 am

DAB has applied for an SCASD Grant of $1,000,000 to fund service to ORD or Washington, DC. UA submitted a letter supporting service to IAD and/or ORD, while AA did the same for DAB-ORD: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0231-0018

MLB also applied for one for UA to IAD: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0231-0045

dfwjim1

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 am

madg wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

DFW-DAB for the most part has been daily. However, as of now it's just scheduled till the end of spring. If it does well AA has indicated it would be year round.

Spring Break is probably the engine driving this flight.

evank516

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
madg wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Spring Break is probably the engine driving this flight.

DFW-DAB will resume in the summer after a brief hiatus. I believe PHL will as well.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:22 am

I noticed on AA's website that CLT-DAB goes up to 6 flights a day this summer. That's the most service I've seen on this route in the several years I've lived here. PHL and DFW, as far as I've seen when traveling, have been doing very well load-wise (I have no idea about the yields). Hopefully we can continue this upward trend!

laca773

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:21 am

Happy to see B6 add LAX-JAX though am surprised DL didn’t start it first since they are so strong in JAX (was hoping they would start it since they have both A221 & A223s. Perfect aircraft for the market. I wonder if we will DL possibly add it since they do have significant service from LAX-MCO/TPA/FLL?

aerace

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:47 pm

Seems like AA is favoring DAB over MLB for PHL. When PHL loses MLB Saturday service, the following week DAB goes daily through summer. With ~20 flights to MCO back in May, I guess less of a need for MLB service anyways?

JaxMan19

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm

laca773 wrote:
Happy to see B6 add LAX-JAX though am surprised DL didn’t start it first since they are so strong in JAX (was hoping they would start it since they have both A221 & A223s. Perfect aircraft for the market. I wonder if we will DL possibly add it since they do have significant service from LAX-MCO/TPA/FLL?

I am sure it was in the works before B6 jumped on the route. The A221/3 is a much better fit to restart the route. I fear that because we're still in the infancy of restarting the aviation industry to normalcy, that the A320 might be too big B6 on this route. If this was 2019, it would be completely different story and I'm sure would work. Time will tell.

Honestly, I would have bet DL or AA to do this route

I wonder if DL values JAX too much as connection feed in ATL..I think JAX is top 10 in capacity in ATLs DL network, and a few of the most connected city pairs at the hub JAX on one end of.

tphuang

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:27 pm

JaxMan19 wrote:
laca773 wrote:

I am sure it was in the works before B6 jumped on the route. The A221/3 is a much better fit to restart the route. I fear that because we're still in the infancy of restarting the aviation industry to normalcy, that the A320 might be too big B6 on this route. If this was 2019, it would be completely different story and I'm sure would work. Time will tell.

Honestly, I would have bet DL or AA to do this route

I wonder if DL values JAX too much as connection feed in ATL..I think JAX is top 10 in capacity in ATLs DL network, and a few of the most connected city pairs at the hub JAX on one end of.

Lax and jax are exactly the type of routes big 4 avoided because they overflew convenient hubs. It has just enough demand to fill 1 flight a day and don't have a lot of premium demand. If you look at delta at jfk, they don't fly to places like bur, smf or rno. All comparable to lax to jax.

B6 will put a220 here in a couple of years when they have enough of them.

dabpit

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:25 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
DAB has applied for an SCASD Grant of $1,000,000 to fund service to ORD or Washington, DC. UA submitted a letter supporting service to IAD and/or ORD, while AA did the same for DAB-ORD: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0231-0018

MLB also applied for one for UA to IAD: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0231-0045

UA has announced a lot of new routes already and a return to DAB does not appear to be coming anytime soon. I would expect AA to add ORD and DCA before UA returns to DAB for ORD and IAD.

New York City area is the biggest market out of DAB and there is still no nonstop flights after B6 dropped JFK. If UA ever returns to DAB it would only be to EWR. The chances of AA and DL adding LGA/JFK are much better than UA returning.

FLALEFTY wrote:
Since the I-95/I-4/International Speedway Blvd. interchanges have been redone, DAB is now pretty easily accessible to a wide catchment area. DAB has all of the infrastructure needed to grow. If I were on the Breeze committee deciding what markets to try, DAB would be high on the list.

Would not be surprised to see Breeze at DAB, I would bet LAL first but it is hard to tell how things are going to play out. A few years back it looked like G4 was going to enter DAB targeting EWR/ABE/CVG/CLE/IND/PIT.

evank516

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:22 pm

aerace wrote:
Seems like AA is favoring DAB over MLB for PHL. When PHL loses MLB Saturday service, the following week DAB goes daily through summer. With ~20 flights to MCO back in May, I guess less of a need for MLB service anyways?

DAB is a bit less of a straight shot drive wise than MLB, and it’s a little further too. You can realistically get to both by avoiding I-4, but from DAB it’s more out of the way to do that, and I-4 can be messy. It makes sense to see AA favor DAB over MLB, at least in my eyes.

FF630

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:04 am

JB was smart to start JAX-LAX before Delta, American or SWA began the route. It is perfect for the A220 which JB will eventually put on this routing as was pointed out. Apparently Delta is not interested in using the 220 on long thin routes. Even if JB only operates this flight 3 days per week it's better than having to change planes week it's better than changing planes and have to deal with inclement weather in ATL or DFW during the summer.

JB offers a very good product, plenty of legroom you do not have to pay extra for when traveling on other carriers.

LAS is a big market out of JAX, surprised SWA , Frontier or Spirit does not offer service to LAS once per day.

Also understand SWA and United have done well on DEN-JAX

Pre pandemic Delta had 12 flights a day between JAX and ATL, they are back up to 9 per day with empty middle seats.

Once NYC recovers Delta will restart LGA-JAX with the 3 daily flights they had pre pandemic.

I understand airlines hate overflying hubs with nonstop flights.

JaxMan19

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm

[quote][/quote]LAS is a big market out of JAX, surprised SWA , Frontier or Spirit does not offer service to LAS once per day.

LAS was seasonal for JAX on WN for quite some time..not sure why they canned it.

Since DEN does so well, it would be great to get N/S to: LAS/PHX/SLC. I can see all of these coming onboard in the next 3-5 years. I attended a economic seminar in 2019 that had the JAA CEO and he said after LAX, PHX was their next top transcon route they were pursuing (although I believe they were flying LAS at the time).

Who will come first out of the 3?

evank516

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

FF630 wrote:
JB was smart to start JAX-LAX before Delta, American or SWA began the route. It is perfect for the A220 which JB will eventually put on this routing as was pointed out. Apparently Delta is not interested in using the 220 on long thin routes. Even if JB only operates this flight 3 days per week it's better than having to change planes week it's better than changing planes and have to deal with inclement weather in ATL or DFW during the summer.

JB offers a very good product, plenty of legroom you do not have to pay extra for when traveling on other carriers.

LAS is a big market out of JAX, surprised SWA , Frontier or Spirit does not offer service to LAS once per day.

Pre pandemic Delta had 12 flights a day between JAX and ATL, they are back up to 9 per day with empty middle seats.

Once NYC recovers Delta will restart LGA-JAX with the 3 daily flights they had pre pandemic.

DL is already doing JFK-JAX and I think they’re upgauging one of them to the 220 next month.

JaxMan19

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:14 pm

evank516 wrote:
FF630 wrote:

DL is already doing JFK-JAX and I think they’re upgauging one of them to the 220 next month.

What justifys a route for the A220? Especially since DL only has a few of them..

evank516

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:42 pm

JaxMan19 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
FF630 wrote:

What justifys a route for the A220? Especially since DL only has a few of them..

Ask Delta, they’re the ones scheduling it. Looks like it starts in May. Pre-covid this was 1x220, 1x717 and I think 1xCR9.

FF630

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Just suggesting DAL consider using some long thin routes with the 220, but if that is not a profitable use of the aircraft then it only makes sense to use it where DAL received an acceptable return on the investment. Maybe JB has a different strategy for the 220. They may see an opportunity to increase market share and profit using a 220 on long thin routes where the big 4 have no interest since they have a multitude hubs.

usairways85

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm

evank516 wrote:
aerace wrote:

DAB is a bit less of a straight shot drive wise than MLB, and it’s a little further too. You can realistically get to both by avoiding I-4, but from DAB it’s more out of the way to do that, and I-4 can be messy. It makes sense to see AA favor DAB over MLB, at least in my eyes.

My PHL-MLB flight this past Saturday only had a handful of empty seats. It's our preferred option for traveling to Vero. It seems to attract a lot of people traveling to space coast / treasure coast and avoids the 1-2 hour drives from PBI or MCO. Pre-covid the fares were pretty high and we opted for MCO due to the options/fares. Since covid we've opted for PBI despite far less options than MCO.

RL757PVD

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:31 pm

aerace wrote:

I think its its because DAB is more leisure oriented with a more popular beach and events and MLB is more business oriented with the space activity and defense contractors.

FF630

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Finally it's official Silver announced JAX-MSY twice weekly. WN did this years ago. Think the ATR is right sized for twice weekly service. Hope it does well.

krsw757

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 pm

They’ve been adding a lot out of JAX recently. Hopefully everything sticks and perhaps a few more frequencies added.

madg

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 am

VRB "Might" see some new service announced next week. Last month the VRB-EWR Route had over an 80% load factor on CR7 Aircraft.

madg

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:48 am

BIG WIN FOR MLB TODAY!! G4 To start in November!
https://spacecoastdaily.com/2021/06/all ... nashville/

JAXDan

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:27 pm

DL has been the top airline at JAX for a long time but AA has been quietly increasing service to JAX lately. I counted 31 daily flights looking at Monday November 8tth.
Here's the breakdown:
CLT 8X
MIA 7X
DFW 6X
DCA 4X
PHL 3X
ORD 2X
AUS 1X

FF630

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:51 am

Delta has been serving JAX since 1946. After the demise of Eastern Delta became the dominant airline. Glad there is more competition in JAX. Once JB gets the 220 and puts it on the LA route that will take passengers from Delta, American and United since travel to LA requires connections on those carriers. JB offers an excellent product and has much better legroom than those 737's the big three fly. Delta has reduced the number of seats they fly in and out of Atlanta to JAX, indicating they are losing some market share. Delta flew L 19's to JAx at one time, even a 747 in the early 70's as well as the 767. Expect Breeze to serve JAX once their 220's arrive, will be interested to see the point to point routes they choose to serve, perhaps some western cities.

jplatts

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:43 am

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of JAX in April 2021:
ATL-JAX - 12713 passengers, 15896 seats, 79.98% load factor
BNA-JAX - 13666 passengers, 15544 seats, 87.92% load factor
BWI-JAX - 22104 passengers, 25163 seats, 87.84% load factor
DAL-JAX - 615 passengers, 715 seats, 86.01% load factor
DCA-JAX - 4371 passengers, 8612 seats, 50.75% load factor
DEN-JAX - 7148 passengers, 9235 seats, 77.40% load factor
HOU-JAX - 6850 passengers, 9269 seats, 73.90% load factor
JAX-MDW - 1196 passengers, 1287 seats, 92.93% load factor
JAX-STL - 6908 passengers, 8821 seats, 78.31% load factor

JaxMan19

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:09 am

All routes looking good except DCA. Are low loads is what is happening elsewhere within SWA network at DCA?

I wonder if they will expand the schedule on JAX-MDW,DAL and BNA?

Also, the Concourse B expansion is back on track, excellent news! https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvill ... track.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos