Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Southeast Asia Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:00 pm

We already have a regular thread for Philippine Aviation, so why not have one for the rest of Southeast Asia too? I think there was an attempt to make one back in 2019 but it was made later on in the year and didn't gain much traction. We do have separate threads about multiple aviation developments in Vietnam, or threads about MH and TG's financial issues, but we don't really have a place to talk about other developments in the region, so let's have a thread for that too.

To start things off, did anyone know what happened to Jet Asia? Cranky Flier's annual Airlines We Lost feature said they closed down (without giving details) and I couldn't find any (non-paywalled) news reports explaining what happened.
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

SQ22

Re: Southeast Asian Aviation Thread 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:04 pm

This thread is covering the following countries:

Thailand
Malaysia
Indonesia
Singapore
Laos
Cambodia
Vietnam
Brunei
Timor Leste
Myanmar

Link to previous thread:

Southeast Asia Aviation Thread - 2020

Antaras

Re: Southeast Asia Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:20 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
To start things off, did anyone know what happened to Jet Asia? Cranky Flier's annual Airlines We Lost feature said they closed down (without giving details) and I couldn't find any (non-paywalled) news reports explaining what happened.

To be honest, I never heard of this carrier, and even though it is Jetstar Asia (?!).
Even Google has been thinking of the same thing so that I found it hard to find any kind of information about this carrier as all I received from Google are about Jetstar Asia?!
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

Antaras

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 pm

Amid Covid-19, Thai VJ launched SGN-BKK, marked as "semi-commercial flights".
Press release: https://www.vietjetair.com/Sites/Web/en ... nuary-2021
Thai Vietjet has confirmed its operation of weekly semi-commercial flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi International Airport) every Friday starting January 8, 2021, with the hope to gradually recover the travel and trade between the two countries after a long suspension since March this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 am

Antaras wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

To be honest, I never heard of this carrier, and even though it is Jetstar Asia (?!).
Even Google has been thinking of the same thing so that I found it hard to find any kind of information about this carrier as all I received from Google are about Jetstar Asia?!

JetAsia was apparently a small Thai charter carrier with a fleet of 767(s?), although they also seemed to dabble into commercial flights at one point. Like many of the smaller Thai carriers it seems they focused mainly on the Chinese market. I'm sure there's an article about it on ch-aviation (which Cranky used as a source), but like most ch-aviation news it's behind a (very expensive) paywall and it hasn't been reported anywhere else (at least not in a free website).
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

qf789

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:44 am

Laos Airlines has halted charter flights to reduce risk of second wave of Covid-19 in Laos

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/lao-air ... r-flights/
Forum Moderator

Antaras

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Vietnam is still not expecting the resumption of international flights:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/e ... 16065.html
Vietnam is not considering a resumption of international commercial flights with the Covid-19 situation remaining intense globally and vaccine distribution uncertain.
The pandemic has been complicated by the appearance of a new coronavirus variant, with no certainty a vaccine would be distributed on a large scale this year, Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment Tran Quoc Phuong told press Monday.

Resumption of tourism activities would only occur when deemed safe, he stressed.

Vietnam suspended commercial international flights in late March last year to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.

However, the country still allows a limited number of flights for experts, businesspeople, workers and overseas Vietnamese, who are all quarantined by up to 14 days upon arrival.

mjba257

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:37 pm

Will we ever see nonstop flights from BKK to the US? Would a BKK-LAX or BKK-SFO work on UA or Thai Airways?

ZK-NBT

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Will we ever see nonstop flights from BKK to the US? Would a BKK-LAX or BKK-SFO work on UA or Thai Airways?

Yes between 2005-12 TG flew BKK-LAX and BKK-JFK with A340-500s, its said they lost bucket loads, fuel prices got really expensive and the whole thing was pulled including the A340-500 fleet at TG. I can't see TG going back and I wouldn't think UA would try it either, given the current times however you never know if UA might give it a go from SFO with a 789, leisure route but even some previously popular business routes will take a while to rebound.

Antaras

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:06 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

Yes between 2005-12 TG flew BKK-LAX and BKK-JFK with A340-500s, its said they lost bucket loads, fuel prices got really expensive and the whole thing was pulled including the A340-500 fleet at TG. I can't see TG going back and I wouldn't think UA would try it either, given the current times however you never know if UA might give it a go from SFO with a 789, leisure route but even some previously popular business routes will take a while to rebound.

But did Thailand recover its CAT I certification or still CAT II?
If it didn't, not a surprise if we see nonstop flights from Vietnam before Thailand. Actually, Vietnam did, with some nonstop flights to SFO/IAH/IAD.

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 am

Antaras wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

But did Thailand recover its CAT I certification or still CAT II?
If it didn't, not a surprise if we see nonstop flights from Vietnam before Thailand. Actually, Vietnam did, with some nonstop flights to SFO/IAH/IAD.

Right now I think the only countries that can support non-stop flights to the US are Singapore, the Philippines, and Vietnam. The latter two for their large diasporas there, the former due to business. Thai had a good run trying and could even potentially try again now that A359s are available, but given even their ICN-LAX flights failed, the market may simply not be there. And in any case, Thai is not in the best of financial health even before the pandemic, so I doubt they'll want to try again anytime soon.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

Antaras

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:13 am

Some update about the construction of the brand new gigantic Long Thành International Airport, located in the Southern of Vietnam, to be a second airport for the Saigon area.
Theis airport's construction is officially started today, with a big groundbreaking ceremony and the joining of the Vietnam S.R. Prime Minister, Mr. Nguyễn Xuân Phúc.
The first work for the airport is the bomb and mine clearance for the construction site, to be started immediately.
https://tuoitre.vn/thu-tuong-san-bay-lo ... 323524.htm
https://thanhnien.vn/tai-chinh-kinh-doa ... 25387.html

Hoping for a new good hub for the ASEAN ;)

qf789

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:48 pm

Forum Moderator

qf789

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Singapore Airlines is planning to resume MAN flights on 29 Mar 21

https://twitter.com/MZulqarnainBut1/sta ... 20898?s=20
Forum Moderator

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:45 am

https://livinginasia.co/new-airports-in ... asia-2021/
Pretty interesting article about all the under construction and proposed airports in SEA at the moment.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

moa999

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 am

I'm amazed Starlux hasn't gone bust.
For the timing almost perfectly wrong.

Antaras

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:06 pm

moa999 wrote:
I'm amazed Starlux hasn't gone bust.
For the timing almost perfectly wrong.

So does Bamboo...

Antaras

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:37 pm

VJ became the only profitable Vietnamese carrier in 2020, as well as the rare profitable ASEAN carrier:
https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/v ... 21.article
Vietjet Air reports a profitable year in 2020 despite the pandemic, banking on ancillary revenue and cargo.

The airline posted a consolidated after-tax profit of Đ70 billion ($3 million) for the period, it said in a 31 January statement.

It adds that ancillary revenue accounted for nearly half of its total revenue, “showcasing Vietjet’s efforts to promote ancillary services to offset decreasing air travel revenue”.

The airline has made “drastic cuts to operating expenses”, trimming 10% from fleet operations, securing 20-25% discounts with suppliers and a further 10% reduction in daily operating costs. Notably, the airline has had “no workforce reduction”.

Vietjet says that it “successfully hedged” jet fuel in May 2020, resulting in 25% cost savings versus market price.

In 2020, the airline operated 78,462 flights and carried more than 15 million passengers, while load factor was over 80%.

The airline says it has since resumed flying across its entire domestic network of over 47 routes.

It states: “The airline has received support from the government for tax discounts, tax-payment extensions and reductions in landing/take-off fee, ground services fee and air control fee, as well as being considered for the government’s financial aid proposal for local airlines.”

Big congrats for the biggest LCC in Vietnam. At this moment, the VJ Group (consists of the Vietnamese VJ and the Thai VZ) is having 86 (+7) airframes in its fleet, of which 15 of the belongs to the Thai subsidiary VZ. Looking at the order book (122 A321neo + 200 737MAX undelivered), the VJ Group fleet will easily reach 400 airframes in the next 15 years, and potentially become a worthy opponent to AirAsia Group and the Lion Group.

Antaras

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm

For the first time, Thai Vietjet Air ranked second for 2020 market share right in Thailand. This is a very encouraging result for this Vietnamese-origin carrier, especially when it has to face gigantic challenges from the Covid-19 pandemic as well as the already-existed tough competition inside the market. Hope that this VJ subsidiary will have further development after gaining such a good result.
Notice that VZ fleet only has 15 airframes, just a small number as comparisons as Thai AirAsia (61), Thai Smile (20), or Nok (22).
Besides that, I am a bit worried about the Thai Aviation Market. The dominance of foreign-owned carriers such as AirAsia, VietjetAir, and Lion Air seems (obviously) threatening and killing Thai carriers such as PG, TG, and DD. I don't know if the Thai authorities need to take action to protect its aviation market.
Sauce: https://destinationthailandnews.com/tou ... share.html

Capricorn

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Antaras wrote:
Besides that, I am a bit worried about the Thai Aviation Market. The dominance of foreign-owned carriers such as AirAsia, VietjetAir, and Lion Air seems (obviously) threatening and killing Thai carriers such as PG, TG, and DD. I don't know if the Thai authorities need to take action to protect its aviation market.

Why do you think that this is necessarily a problem? IMO there still is too much nationalism in aviation, as it mostly is a very global industry, apart from certain countries with a large domestic market. Transnational aviation enterprises help with economies of scale and bring cost down, a net benefit to consumers. I think other parts of the world, such as South America, are already further along the line of transnational aviation integration. I am not sure if Southeast Asia in the future will do what South America has done, but with many loss making airlines as result of the C19 pandemic, there might be more of a political will to assist and essentially create an Asian version of LATAM.

Antaras

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 pm

The government of S.R. Vietnam decided to operate a "rescue" repatriation flight, to be operated tomorrow by Vietnam Airlines. The route will be RGN-DAD, holding up to 390 pax, and this is a surprisingly high number of pax as VN's biggest aircraft is the B78X only has 367 seats.
Besides that, the authorities had some notes:
Following the situation in recent days (March 2021), Burmese citizens have been observed continuing to protest and use bricks, public trash, and barriers on the roads, obstructing traffic on many routes in the downtown of Yangon. At the same time, through verification, the police said that the Yangon area continued the curfew from 8 PM the previous day to 4 AM the next morning. Currently, at the roundabout near the airport, the police have set up a checkpoint. Therefore, to timely check-in for a separate flight (by Covid-19) to bring citizens home tomorrow (March 4, 2021), the Embassy recommends citizens pay attention to the time to avoid missing flight, as follows:
Citizens are far from the airport, so soon move from today, temporarily rent hotels, motels at locations near the airport;
- Observe the situation and developments around the area where we live. If there is a phenomenon of the street being blocked, blocking the aisles, it is necessary to calculate a reasonable travel time, promptly arrive at the airport for procedures;
- If citizens are asked when passing through this station, citizens explain to the police that the citizens are going to the RGN airport to return home.
The Embassy would like to inform and request that people pay close attention to timely procedures.

The Embassy of S.R. Vietnam in Yangon, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, would like to announce./.

Yangon, March 3, 2021.

By S.R. Vietnam Embassy in Yangon via Facebook

I wonder if other ASEAN countries would operate similar flights?

CX Flyboy

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 am

Infants don't require seats so presumably that is why they can take more passengers than the stated capacity.

Antaras wrote:
The government of S.R. Vietnam decided to operate a "rescue" repatriation flight, to be operated tomorrow by Vietnam Airlines. The route will be RGN-DAD, holding up to 390 pax, and this is a surprisingly high number of pax as VN's biggest aircraft is the B78X only has 367 seats.
Besides that, the authorities had some notes:
Following the situation in recent days (March 2021), Burmese citizens have been observed continuing to protest and use bricks, public trash, and barriers on the roads, obstructing traffic on many routes in the downtown of Yangon. At the same time, through verification, the police said that the Yangon area continued the curfew from 8 PM the previous day to 4 AM the next morning. Currently, at the roundabout near the airport, the police have set up a checkpoint. Therefore, to timely check-in for a separate flight (by Covid-19) to bring citizens home tomorrow (March 4, 2021), the Embassy recommends citizens pay attention to the time to avoid missing flight, as follows:
Citizens are far from the airport, so soon move from today, temporarily rent hotels, motels at locations near the airport;
- Observe the situation and developments around the area where we live. If there is a phenomenon of the street being blocked, blocking the aisles, it is necessary to calculate a reasonable travel time, promptly arrive at the airport for procedures;
- If citizens are asked when passing through this station, citizens explain to the police that the citizens are going to the RGN airport to return home.
The Embassy would like to inform and request that people pay close attention to timely procedures.

The Embassy of S.R. Vietnam in Yangon, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, would like to announce./.

Yangon, March 3, 2021.

By S.R. Vietnam Embassy in Yangon via Facebook

I wonder if other ASEAN countries would operate similar flights?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos