Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N292UX
Topic Author

Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Welcome to the Virginia Aviation Thread 2021. This thread is covering the following airports: RIC, ORF, ROA, CHO, LYH, etc (all of VA outside of IAD/DCA). Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1438001

N292UX
Topic Author

Re: Rest of Virginia Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:15 pm

Predictions for 2021:
-WN adds ORF-TPA
-F9 adds another route, maybe ORF-LAS?
-NK or B6 adds RIC-RSW
-WN remains stagnant at RIC, with maybe the only add being a seasonal flight to FLL
-DL announces RIC-SLC, possibly on the A220.
-AA adds DFW-ROA

MaxTrimm

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:18 pm

N292UX wrote:
Predictions for 2021:
-WN adds ORF-TPA
-NK or B6 adds RIC-RSW
-WN remains stagnant at RIC, with maybe the only add being a seasonal flight to FLL
-AA adds DFW-ROA

Didn’t F9 have ORF-LAS going almost daily pre-pandemic?

bluefltspecial

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Anyone know how the loads are from RIC-LAX? Really hoping that market does well.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

airlineworker

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm

N292UX wrote:
Predictions for 2021:
-WN adds ORF-TPA
-NK or B6 adds RIC-RSW
-AA adds DFW-ROA

Hoping for UA at LYH.

hooforce

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
Anyone know how the loads are from RIC-LAX? Really hoping that market does well.

I’m new here, but I’m also hoping this route does well. I’m also hoping the RIC-LAS route is successful. B6 did announce that it will pause the RIC-LAS route later in January through February. Right now it looks like daily flights will start up again on 6 March 2021...but, of course all of that is subject to change. The LAX route looks to be about 1 or two times a week until March as well. At least B6 is not pausing this route in February. Appears to be slightly more demand for this route at the moment.

I did do some mock bookings from RIC-LAX/LAS and for the most part, it appeared to be anywhere from 25-30 seats that were”not available” for me to choose. That really scares me because an A320 can easily seat over 150 people. That means these flights could be only 1/4 full when they fly!! That is NOT good, but many flights around the country are similar. So, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Obviously, B6 isn’t making any money off these flights...yet. Hopefully, we can keep these flights for when some sense of normalcy returns to give these routes a legitimate chance. Love that B6 has taken a chance on Richmond...just wish they had done it two years ago!

Anyway, I would also like to hear from someone who has flown this route from RIC or LAX to see what the real passenger loads are like. Not sure where else to get the information. I think the airline keeps this information “close hold.”

jplatts

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:11 pm

N292UX wrote:
Predictions for 2021:

I agree that WN will probably remain stagnant at RIC until demand recovers with demand for domestic air travel being significantly weaker out of RIC, not only on WN, but on the other airlines serving RIC, including AA, DL, and UA.

WN adding RIC-DEN nonstop service is a possibility once demand recovers with WN recently adding nonstop service to DEN from a few other destinations inherited through the WN-FL merger such as CLT, DSM, and ICT. WN would also probably be able to get better yields on RIC-DEN than on other East Coast to DEN nonstop routes once demand and fares are back to normal levels with F9 not serving RIC whereas WN faces nonstop competition from F9 on most of its East Coast to DEN nonstop routes. RIC-DEN also had higher average fares in 2019 than other East Coast to DEN routes that were served nonstop by WN in 2019.

RIC can also likely support more WN service than GSP or ROC post-pandemic with
(a) RIC having stronger demand for WN service than GSP or ROC in Summer 2020 with WN carrying more passengers out of RIC in Summer 2020 than it did out of GSP or ROC,
(b) AA, DL, and UA all having already made significant cuts at RIC, and
(c) RIC having carried around 4.3 million domestic passengers in 2019 whereas GSP and ROC each carried around 2.5 million domestic passengers in 2019.

tphuang

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 pm

hooforce wrote:
bluefltspecial wrote:

I’m new here, but I’m also hoping this route does well. I’m also hoping the RIC-LAS route is successful. B6 did announce that it will pause the RIC-LAS route later in January through February. Right now it looks like daily flights will start up again on 6 March 2021...but, of course all of that is subject to change. The LAX route looks to be about 1 or two times a week until March as well. At least B6 is not pausing this route in February. Appears to be slightly more demand for this route at the moment.

I did do some mock bookings from RIC-LAX/LAS and for the most part, it appeared to be anywhere from 25-30 seats that were”not available” for me to choose. That really scares me because an A320 can easily seat over 150 people. That means these flights could be only 1/4 full when they fly!! That is NOT good, but many flights around the country are similar. So, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Obviously, B6 isn’t making any money off these flights...yet. Hopefully, we can keep these flights for when some sense of normalcy returns to give these routes a legitimate chance. Love that B6 has taken a chance on Richmond...just wish they had done it two years ago!

Anyway, I would also like to hear from someone who has flown this route from RIC or LAX to see what the real passenger loads are like. Not sure where else to get the information. I think the airline keeps this information “close hold.”

I wouldn't worry too much about RIC-LAX. LAS is a different story. Keep in mind that BUF-LAX is also gone for Jan/Feb. That's a route that performed reasonably well pre-pandemic.

I wrote something on it here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455979#p22583585

I expect RIC-LAX to struggle until A220-300 gets put on this route in a couple of years. Until then, I expect it to run sub-daily even when leisure demand comes back later this year.

Long term, as long as B6 has the intention to build up LAX, thin transcon routes like RIC-LAX is a bedrock of its strategy there.

Also, I do expect B6 to make a play for RIC's local market so I think you will see EWR/LGA service get added this year

N292UX
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:38 pm

airlineworker wrote:
N292UX wrote:
Predictions for 2021:
-WN adds ORF-TPA
-NK or B6 adds RIC-RSW
-AA adds DFW-ROA

Hoping for UA at LYH.

I think UA will eventually add IAD/ORD-LYH

BoilerAviation

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Anyone know when DL is going to re-start ORF-BOS or if thats cut permanently for now?

jplatts

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:27 pm

BoilerAviation wrote:
Anyone know when DL is going to re-start ORF-BOS or if thats cut permanently for now?

I had previously mentioned B6 adding ORF-BOS nonstop service with ORF/PHF being one of the top U.S. markets traveled to from BOS that is not served by B6, even though RIC is close enough to Williamsburg and James City County in the northwestern part of Hampton Roads. There are also other routes that could be added by B6 out of ORF if B6 enters ORF such as ORF-FLL/LAS/LAX/JFK.

LagosLen

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 am

Any indication of how Boutique Air's BWI-ORF service is doing? Honestly the fares look pretty reasonable.

ElroyJetson

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:04 am

AA should definitely add ROA-DFW, Also CHO-DFW should be considered.

LagosLen

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:14 am

ElroyJetson wrote:

I don't disagree, especially with a 175, but I think it would be a particularly hard sell to AA to overfly CLT in this environment.

WkndWanderer

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:36 am

ElroyJetson wrote:

I don’t think that would make much sense given it would most likely be a relatively long RJ flight reliant on connections that could continue to go through their closer, cheaper service via CLT. The places you need to double connect to DFW to get to like the smaller TX towns, South America, etc probably don’t have a ton of demand from ROA.

vatveng

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm

jplatts wrote:
BoilerAviation wrote:

I had previously mentioned B6 adding ORF-BOS nonstop service with ORF/PHF being one of the top U.S. markets traveled to from BOS that is not served by B6, even though RIC is close enough to Williamsburg and James City County in the northwestern part of Hampton Roads.

PHF-BOS used to have a daily 717 back in the AirTran days.

hooforce

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Just some signs of life and that things are starting to get back to normal at RIC:

Two routes appear to be restarting this week -

1) RIC-MSP (DL): A flight came into RIC last night from MSP on a B737; however there is not a flight today. While this one does not appear to be daily yet (like it was pre-pandemic), this is a good sign because this route was paused when the pandemic began.

2) RIC-HOU (UA): Looks like this route restarts today and it looks like there is another flight tomorrow. Whether this will return as a daily route for now remains to be seen, but this is a very positive sign since this route hasn’t been flown since the pandemic began.

Hopefully, with the addition of these two route restarts, as well as the new JetBlue routes, RIC can start to get its numbers back up some. RIC is still serving about 63% fewer passengers now than it was a year ago. Perhaps with the new vaccine, people will begin flying again!

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:36 pm

hooforce wrote:
2) RIC-HOU (UA): Looks like this route restarts today and it looks like there is another flight tomorrow. Whether this will return as a daily route for now remains to be seen, but this is a very positive sign since this route hasn’t been flown since the pandemic began.

RIC-IAH

hooforce

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:10 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
hooforce wrote:

RIC-IAH

Oops! You are absolutely correct. Not sure what I was thinking there. Thanks for the correction!

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:19 pm

hooforce wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
hooforce wrote:

RIC-IAH

Oops! You are absolutely correct. Not sure what I was thinking there. Thanks for the correction!

No worries :D

Glad to see they've started it back up though. I'm surprised it took this long to come back, but I guess it had been cut to x1 daily (or sometimes even less than daily) even before the pandemic. Come to think of it, I haven't seen RIC-DEN since March, so I assume that probably hasn't returned yet either.

hooforce

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:55 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
hooforce wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
RIC-IAH

Glad to see they've started it back up though. I'm surprised it took this long to come back, but I guess it had been cut to x1 daily (or sometimes even less than daily) even before the pandemic. Come to think of it, I haven't seen RIC-DEN since March, so I assume that probably hasn't returned yet either.

Actually, RIC-DEN (UA) has been going for a couple months now...and the flights are daily (mostly using an ERJ-175, but occasionally an A319/20)! That was encouraging when it started back up. Most other routes are up and running at RIC except for a couple in the Florida market (G4 flights mostly). Those will come back as more demand returns. I wish all the flights to the NYC market would go on the regular multiple flights per day. While those flights from RIC are still running, they aren’t daily except for flights to EWR and LGA. For some reason flights to JFK are only on select days right now.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 pm

hooforce wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
hooforce wrote:

Actually, RIC-DEN (UA) has been going for a couple months now...and the flights are daily (mostly using an ERJ-175, but occasionally an A319/20)! That was encouraging when it started back up. Most other routes are up and running at RIC except for a couple in the Florida market (G4 flights mostly). Those will come back as more demand returns. I wish all the flights to the NYC market would go on the regular multiple flights per day. While those flights from RIC are still running, they aren’t daily except for flights to EWR and LGA. For some reason flights to JFK are only on select days right now.

I must not have caught it yet — I work those flights. I managed to work the first JBU flight to LAS. Hope that goes well, but who knows. I think LAX is more likely to be a keeper.

hooforce

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 am

atcsundevil wrote:
hooforce wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

I must not have caught it yet — I work those flights. I managed to work the first JBU flight to LAS. Hope that goes well, but who knows. I think LAX is more likely to be a keeper.

When you say that “you work those flights,” do you work at RIC? If so, what do you do? That’s awesome you worked the first JBU flight to LAS! I hope that route sticks...actually, I hope both the LAX and LAS routes stick and hopefully JBU decides to even expand some more! Would love to see RIC become a focus city at the very least. Just my little dream.

ElroyJetson

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:47 am

I think CHO has the potential to grow significantly in a post Covid environment. CHO is a rapidly growing area with a major university and a lot of wealth. A limitation is it runway which is under 7000 feet. But I think flights to Florida, DFW, and possible DEN could happen within the next 5 years. I truly believe the potential is there.

ahj2000

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
I think CHO has the potential to grow significantly in a post Covid environment. CHO is a rapidly growing area with a major university and a lot of wealth. A limitation is it runway which is under 7000 feet. But I think flights to Florida, DFW, and possible DEN could happen within the next 5 years. I truly believe the potential is there.

I could see Allegiant going to Charlottesville...except they are so close to Richmond, plus ROA two hours away to boot. Perhaps F9? They are the only ULCC not in RIC.
-Andrés Juánez

bluefltspecial

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:35 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

I could see Allegiant going to Charlottesville...except they are so close to Richmond, plus ROA two hours away to boot. Perhaps F9? They are the only ULCC not in RIC.

Allegiant served CHO and did not do well, however they started in the fall 2013, it ran twice a week to SFB, the loads were not good. If they had started in spring they could have done really well carrying through summer.

It was known that AirTran had come to CHO to check out the airport, and it was rumored they were interested in operating when the airport finished their runway expansion, but then the buyout by WN happened and that was that. I'm curious to see who the next carrier will be in CHO.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

hooforce

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Does anyone know where people on these boards get their statistics from? For example, I saw where someone posted stats for DTW that included the total number of flights, which airlines, and how many daily flights for each route. Where are people getting this info? Can this be accessed online somewhere or do these people have special access to some special database? Just curious. I’d like to see some data similar to this for some Virginia airports...namely, RIC and ORF.

flyjoe

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:

What makes CHO more likely to have significant growth now, post-COVID vs. what they had pre-COVID? With the expectation of less people flying for business for an extended time in 2021, any growth doesn't seem likely, other than an Allegiant or other ULCC add to Florida. Pop. growth doesn't seem to be overly high over the last five years. Trying to understand/learn more about the area.

ahj2000

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 pm

RIC-MDW is coming on WN via Crankyflier
-Andrés Juánez

RicFlyer

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:48 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
RIC-MDW is coming on WN via Crankyflier

WOW!!!!! This will be big news for RIC on WN. I did notice that AA increased the April schedule to ORD from 1 flight a day to 3 flights on peak days. Also on the AA April schedule update they up gauged many flights including DFW to 737, MIA to 737 (in addition to the E175) and CLT to mix or 737, A321. I think good sign for RIC.

With JetBlue adding TPA, LAX and LAS RIC will have many more options if these flights stick. I also think B6 will take over AA flights to LGA and maybe JFK too. We will see!

RicFlyer

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:14 pm

The RIC -MDW schedule is:
RIC-MDW 1:00-2:00PM
MDW-RIC 12:50-3:40PM

ElroyJetson

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:41 pm

Great news regarding WN adding RIC-MDW. WN has promised this service would come since the early 2000's. I think it will do well.

ElroyJetson

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 am

Formal announcement of the new WN RIC-MDW route,

https://richmond.com/business/southwest ... cb7f5.html

N292UX
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Well overdue but glad to see RIC-MDW added. WN's station for the longest time has been only ATL along with some Saturday only Florida routes every now and then. I still doubt WN will be growing significantly at RIC in the future, but one could think that RIC-HOU/STL/DEN/PHX/DAL could probably work in the future. I imagine B6 will probably the main carrier adding routes like that out of RIC in the future, though.

UALFAson

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:50 am

If those times are correct, it must operate in conjunction with ATL service, since it obviously can't be a turn from MDW.

It's not a super-great schedule for biz travelers--it's either too late or too early, Though a presumed 4:30 p.m.-ish RIC-ATL could be nice. Guess they're going after leisure travelers with flexible schedules.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

ElroyJetson

Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 am

WN to also add RIC-DEN route in May in addition to RIC-MDW.

https://flyrichmond.com/southwest-launc ... vers-next/

ahj2000

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 pm

Well the RIC-LAX/LAS special is going to end according to CF. Never got to fly them myself, but would have loved to.
Wonder if we will ever see them come back on any airline.
Did anyone know loads or fares for them?
-Andrés Juánez

hooforce

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Well the RIC-LAX/LAS special is going to end according to CF. Never got to fly them myself, but would have loved to.
Wonder if we will ever see them come back on any airline.
Did anyone know loads or fares for them?

Well, the RIC - LAX flights aren't totally going away...yet. According to The Points Guy article, the RIC - LAX route will discontinue starting in October 2021 through April 2022. This assumes that it will start back up in the Spring of 2022. The RIC - LAS route may be a different story. I'm really frustrated about this because I've been monitoring the passenger loads on these routes and all the flights have been full or near full. I just don't understand. Use them or lose them, they say, but I think Richmond has done a good job of filling up these flights as of late, so not sure why the draw back. I hope this is more the fault of the airline and not Richmond. If it's Richmond, then I can't see any westward flights returning to RIC any time soon unfortunately. Sucks.

airlineworker

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 am

Waiting for AA to upgauge the LYH-CLT flights. The E-145's are full most of the time.

hooforce

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 am

Breeze Airways started flying out of RIC today - first route: RIC to CHS (flight to MSY and TPA to begin later this month). Load factor was very low on both flights today: 15 people flew into RIC and 30 flew out to CHS. Breeze says they expect these sort of load factors starting out. I just wonder how long they can do this with so few passengers. Hopefully, passenger numbers increase as word gets out about the new airline, but also hope there are a lot of new destinations served by Breeze announced soon. Today, the Breeze Co-founder was already talking about not just adding destinations from Richmond, but also adding west coast destinations when they start receiving deliveries of the A-220s starting in October. We'll see if that actually happens and what routes stick and which don't. Breeze may have to do some route tweaking in a few months

I'd like to know how the load factors are looking for all the destinations out of ORF too. Interested to know how load factors are on routes like ORF and PVD, ORF and BDL, ORF and CHS, etc...these, especially, are routes I did not expect to see any demand for, but I could be wrong.

airlineworker

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:07 am

Still hoping for UA at LYH. AA'a loads are very good but bad for me trying to non-rev.

ahj2000

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:49 am

hooforce wrote:
Breeze Airways started flying out of RIC today - first route: RIC to CHS (flight to MSY and TPA to begin later this month). Load factor was very low on both flights today: 15 people flew into RIC and 30 flew out to CHS. Breeze says they expect these sort of load factors starting out. I just wonder how long they can do this with so few passengers. Hopefully, passenger numbers increase as word gets out about the new airline, but also hope there are a lot of new destinations served by Breeze announced soon. Today, the Breeze Co-founder was already talking about not just adding destinations from Richmond, but also adding west coast destinations when they start receiving deliveries of the A-220s starting in October. We'll see if that actually happens and what routes stick and which don't. Breeze may have to do some route tweaking in a few months

I'd like to know how the load factors are looking for all the destinations out of ORF too. Interested to know how load factors are on routes like ORF and PVD, ORF and BDL, ORF and CHS, etc...these, especially, are routes I did not expect to see any demand for, but I could be wrong.

That is shockingly low.
CHS is the most drivable and lowest demand of their routes from RIC. Maybe MSY and TPA will be better.
What gate do they use?
-Andrés Juánez

RicFlyer

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am

Breeze is using gate A5 at RIC. AA moved gates the other week and now uses even number gates A6 - A14. All part of the new gates opening.

flybaby

Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:05 pm

hooforce wrote:

Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical about all this. Allegiant has pretty much the same business model as Breeze and although trying many destinations, out of ORF they’ve only managed to make the four Florida mega metro areas (S. Fla, Orlando, Tampa Bay and Jax) stick year-round, and even then, only at 2x weekly for most of the year.

Perhaps post-pandemic deep shifts in the industry (e.g., more leisure than business travel) or the economics of the A220 will make some kind of difference but I just see it very difficult to keep a lot of these destinations going year-round and at 3x weekly or greater.

atcsundevil

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm

flybaby wrote:
Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical about all this. Allegiant has pretty much the same business model as Breeze and although trying many destinations, out of ORF they’ve only managed to make the four Florida mega metro areas (S. Fla, Orlando, Tampa Bay and Jax) stick year-round, and even then, only at 2x weekly for most of the year.

Perhaps post-pandemic deep shifts in the industry (e.g., more leisure than business travel) or the economics of the A220 will make some kind of difference but I just see it very difficult to keep a lot of these destinations going year-round and at 3x weekly or greater.

I would argue that their business models are very different. Breeze is trying to fill in gaps where the hub and spoke model has let down medium sized markets. Running point to point routes on smaller narrowbody aircraft along with having extremely low operating costs allows them to go after markets that aren't feasible for legacies. Allegiant traditionally connects rural or underserved markets with vacation destinations. They've expanded beyond that basic principle in recent years, and there is a degree of overlap with Breeze, but I would argue that they're generally not after the same customer.

I do, however, share your degree of skepticism when it comes to the success of some of these routes. Adding point to point routes can stimulate growth between those markets, but there is a limit to how much can be done. That said, David Neeleman has shown time and time again that against all odds, he knows how to capture lightning in a bottle. So I'm still skeptical, but I'm also giving him and his team the benefit of the doubt on this one. They've done their homework, and they've launched at a time where domestic travel is fairly dramatically on the rise, and people want to find new/better travel experiences. It should be interesting to watch.

hooforce

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:38 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
Breeze is using gate A5 at RIC. AA moved gates the other week and now uses even number gates A6 - A14. All part of the new gates opening.

Is the new Concourse A expansion even open at RIC yet? If so, there was no fanfare about it like I would have expected. I think JetBlue, American Airlines, and now Breeze Airways uses that concourse.

RicFlyer

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:40 am

hooforce wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:

Is the new Concourse A expansion even open at RIC yet? If so, there was no fanfare about it like I would have expected. I think JetBlue, American Airlines, and now Breeze Airways uses that concourse.

Yes, the new gates opened in May. That is why AA changed gates.

hooforce

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:49 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
hooforce wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:

@RicFlyer - you seem to be in the "know" regarding the happenings ongoing at the airport...what other construction projects are currently going on at the airport?

I can think of some that have been announced, but don't know if they are currently in work, haven't started, or what. Specifically:

1) The expansion of the TSA security area at Concourse B - has that started yet?
2) Read that they were looking to move the rental car desks elsewhere and expand the rental car garage - has that started?
3) I've noticed that there have been some groundwork done in an effort to eventually move the FBO on north part of the airport (not far from the ATC) to the north/northwest side of runway 16/34 (namely a new concrete pad was built just north and at the end of runway 16/34). Looking at the master plan, this would be an important move to make way for a parallel runway to 16/34. Do you know anything regarding the timeline on the movement of the FBO? Also, what about the Army National Guard on the East side of the airport. Do you know if there are any plans for the facilities there to move elsewhere and when? It falls right in line with the master-planned parallel runway.

That's all for now, but just thought I'd ask in case you knew anything. I have lots of other questions and just curious about how quickly RIC is moving toward expansion...even major expansion (if that ever comes to fruition). Thanks!

RicFlyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:46 pm

hooforce wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:
hooforce wrote:

@RicFlyer - you seem to be in the "know" regarding the happenings ongoing at the airport...what other construction projects are currently going on at the airport?

I can think of some that have been announced, but don't know if they are currently in work, haven't started, or what. Specifically:

1) The expansion of the TSA security area at Concourse B - has that started yet?
2) Read that they were looking to move the rental car desks elsewhere and expand the rental car garage - has that started?
3) I've noticed that there have been some groundwork done in an effort to eventually move the FBO on north part of the airport (not far from the ATC) to the north/northwest side of runway 16/34 (namely a new concrete pad was built just north and at the end of runway 16/34). Looking at the master plan, this would be an important move to make way for a parallel runway to 16/34. Do you know anything regarding the timeline on the movement of the FBO? Also, what about the Army National Guard on the East side of the airport. Do you know if there are any plans for the facilities there to move elsewhere and when? It falls right in line with the master-planned parallel runway.

That's all for now, but just thought I'd ask in case you knew anything. I have lots of other questions and just curious about how quickly RIC is moving toward expansion...even major expansion (if that ever comes to fruition). Thanks!

Sorry I only fly out of Concourse A so don't know about B. The rental car desk were in the same place last week when I flew, I don't know about the FBO but there is a lot construction going on outside the terminal area. I guess I need to get some answers...lol

GO HOOS!!!!

hooforce

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:32 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
hooforce wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:

Sorry I only fly out of Concourse A so don't know about B. The rental car desk were in the same place last week when I flew, I don't know about the FBO but there is a lot construction going on outside the terminal area. I guess I need to get some answers...lol

GO HOOS!!!!

Awesome to meet a fellow Hoo on this board! I graduated from the College 2002.

Thanks for the report on what's going on at the airport. I don't live in Richmond (I'm currently in Springfield, VA), but Richmond is my hometown and I'm super supportive of RIC and advocate for its growth. Let me know if you see or notice anything new or exciting as you fly in and out of the airport!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos