Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 21
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:44 pm

Doreen Burse former VP at Marriott named Worldwide Sales SVP. Replaces Jake Cefolia who has been missing since last August.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3519
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:55 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Doreen Burse former VP at Marriott named Worldwide Sales SVP. Replaces Jake Cefolia who has been missing since last August.


saw that, wonder why they added from the outside and not from the inside.
 
User avatar
xms3200
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:13 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 pm

UA seems to hire the best talent (in their opinion) from any source...outside or inside. Seems like the culture of companies has been changing...just look at Boeing.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Outside blood can be good. I am sure with her experience at a global brand like Marriott, she can bring a fresh view on things for United.
Being Chicago based already, she likely is also quite familiar with United already.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3519
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Outside blood can be good. I am sure with her experience at a global brand like Marriott, she can bring a fresh view on things for United.
Being Chicago based already, she likely is also quite familiar with United already.


very true, outside can bring in a different view, just surprising given how much downsizing is happening, why not give someone the opportunity internal if it means someone further down the chain could keep their job. But it also diversifies Commercial team from 1 female to 2 with the rest all males.

As for Chicago, she's been there 5 months, but also don't see that as having any impact whatsoever.
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm

I wonder how load factors are? We flew back DEN-IAH this past Sunday and the A320 was 100% full. Not a single open seat. On the way up, the 753 had about 195pax on board.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4426
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:38 pm

Someone from the hospitality business is good. The airlines collectively have a reputation for being inhospitable, despite efforts to be customer friendly they still fall short.

Good move.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:42 pm

CALMSP wrote:
As for Chicago, she's been there 5 months, but also don't see that as having any impact whatsoever.


She has been in Chicago with Marriott since 2000. Only 3 years away in Maryland.

Likely had may dealings with UA over the years
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:04 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Someone from the hospitality business is good. The airlines collectively have a reputation for being inhospitable, despite efforts to be customer friendly they still fall short.

Good move.


I think your statement was true 10-20 years ago, but isn't true today. In my industry, we're trying to copy some of the methods airlines used to "turn the tide" so to speak; i.e. pushing decision making further down, giving CS agents improved training and flexibility to do what they think is best for the company/situation. The MBA culture says to isolate the number of tasks one person does, which in the customer care world, means getting shipped off to different departments to complete difference tasks. In the airline industry, the agents seem very well trained and can handle almost all tasks asked of them.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4426
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Someone from the hospitality business is good. The airlines collectively have a reputation for being inhospitable, despite efforts to be customer friendly they still fall short.

Good move.


I think your statement was true 10-20 years ago, but isn't true today. In my industry, we're trying to copy some of the methods airlines used to "turn the tide" so to speak; i.e. pushing decision making further down, giving CS agents improved training and flexibility to do what they think is best for the company/situation. The MBA culture says to isolate the number of tasks one person does, which in the customer care world, means getting shipped off to different departments to complete difference tasks. In the airline industry, the agents seem very well trained and can handle almost all tasks asked of them.


It's gotten much better in the 10 years I have been with United, but there is still an underlying perception with the public that airlines are generally unfriendly.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 pm

Per pilot update, the Feb 2021 schedule block hours are 49.3% compared to 2019.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
N3340W
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Anyone know the status of N874UA? It seems to have suffered a gear issue that caused it to return to SEA shortly after T/O while flying UA447 on 1/15.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:19 pm

United just released its Q4 and full year 2020 results.

United Airlines on Wednesday posted a fourth-quarter loss and warned sales would continue to suffer in the early part of 2021 as the coronavirus pandemic drags on.
Here’s how United performed in the quarter, compared with what Wall Street expected, based on average estimates compiled by Refinitiv:
• Adjusted earnings per share: a loss of $7 versus an expected loss of $6.60 a share.
• Revenue: $3.41 billion versus expected $3.44 billion in revenue.
United’s fourth-quarter revenue fell 69% from a year earlier to $3.41 billion, below analysts’ estimates of $3.44 billion. The Chicago-based airline reported an adjusted loss of $7 a share, compared with estimates for a loss of $6.60 per share. It burned about $33 million a day on average in the quarter, including debt and severance payments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/20/united- ... 0html.html

Earnings call tomorrow with more details and commentary.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 pm

From the release:
Having stabilized its financial foundation, the company expects 2021 to be a transition year that's focused on preparing for a recovery. United has resumed heavy maintenance and engine overhauls, investments that are essential to recovery when demand returns. The combination of structural cost reduction and timely investments will help set up United to exceed its 2019 adjusted Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) margin in 2023. The company expressed high confidence that it would achieve this target by 2023 – and said its ongoing recovery planning would help ensure the company was equipped to reach this level even sooner, if demand returns more quickly.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 pm

LAXintl wrote:
United just released its Q4 and full year 2020 results.

United Airlines on Wednesday posted a fourth-quarter loss and warned sales would continue to suffer in the early part of 2021 as the coronavirus pandemic drags on.
Here’s how United performed in the quarter, compared with what Wall Street expected, based on average estimates compiled by Refinitiv:
• Adjusted earnings per share: a loss of $7 versus an expected loss of $6.60 a share.
• Revenue: $3.41 billion versus expected $3.44 billion in revenue.
United’s fourth-quarter revenue fell 69% from a year earlier to $3.41 billion, below analysts’ estimates of $3.44 billion. The Chicago-based airline reported an adjusted loss of $7 a share, compared with estimates for a loss of $6.60 per share. It burned about $33 million a day on average in the quarter, including debt and severance payments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/20/united- ... 0html.html

Earnings call tomorrow with more details and commentary.


I know the earnings call is tomorrow but are you willing to speculate as to why our daily burn rate which as you noted in UA's case does include debt and severance payments increased in Q4. Why was Q4 so different for UA verses Q2 and Q3 2020? Also how do we get this airline back on track in Q1 meaning getting our burn rate heading in a downward direction?
 
tphuang
Posts: 5868
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 pm

jayunited wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
United just released its Q4 and full year 2020 results.

United Airlines on Wednesday posted a fourth-quarter loss and warned sales would continue to suffer in the early part of 2021 as the coronavirus pandemic drags on.
Here’s how United performed in the quarter, compared with what Wall Street expected, based on average estimates compiled by Refinitiv:
• Adjusted earnings per share: a loss of $7 versus an expected loss of $6.60 a share.
• Revenue: $3.41 billion versus expected $3.44 billion in revenue.
United’s fourth-quarter revenue fell 69% from a year earlier to $3.41 billion, below analysts’ estimates of $3.44 billion. The Chicago-based airline reported an adjusted loss of $7 a share, compared with estimates for a loss of $6.60 per share. It burned about $33 million a day on average in the quarter, including debt and severance payments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/20/united- ... 0html.html

Earnings call tomorrow with more details and commentary.


I know the earnings call is tomorrow but are you willing to speculate as to why our daily burn rate which as you noted in UA's case does include debt and severance payments increased in Q4. Why was Q4 so different for UA verses Q2 and Q3 2020? Also how do we get this airline back on track in Q1 meaning getting our burn rate heading in a downward direction?


I think Q4 total is down for UA vs Q3
https://crankyflier.com/2020/11/10/and- ... -derby-is/
It was close to $40 million a day with debt/severance payments and now down to $33 million. It does seem like debt payment will go up as UA collect more debt at higher interest. Same with severance as more employees are terminated. Frankly, it's good to see UA listing the full picture number rather than just providing a low shiny number to gloat to the world.

I would say that there is a slowdown in burn rate reduction. That could be a challenging geographical issue for UA since Florida is where all the money is going to.
 
mjba257
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 am

Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat
 
MO11
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am

bmibaby737 wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
320 Paint:
N419UA exited FTW 2758/16Jan in EvoBlu. Photo confirmation.
This unit was recently shown as having some type of ownership change and AirFleets says its "due" to be delivered to AirBosnia with no date listed. I rather doubt is't leaving the UA fleet with a new paint job.


MSN 487 was originally listed as available Q4 2020 for operating lease or sale by GA Telesis. Skyliner-Aviation had reported the aircraft was due for Fly Bosnia which is presumably where Airfleets got their information. Must have had its lease renewed?


I showed ferried to TUS returned to lessor (Verizon Capital) on October 6, then leased again December 4, ferried to TPA December 20.
 
portola2727
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:08 am

mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat

Got anything for LAX?
 
mjba257
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 am

portola2727 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat

Got anything for LAX?


I could see UA trying PHL, PIT, CMH, TPA, and maybe even ATL domestically, trying to get those premium O&D pax. Int'l, perhaps they could try GRU (AA dropped that route, which means nobody currently flies LAX-GRU so perhaps UA can try and get on the market. If Hong Kong can return to it's glory days pre-COVID/protests, perhaps they could also try LAX-HKG. Remember, a big factor at LAX is gate space, so if UA does get the expansions they've wanted, capacity their will increase.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5659
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 am

Looks like UA is planning its March schedule to be higher than 50% of 2019, based on their Q1 capacity outlook of -51% vs 2019 & their Jan/Feb already published around -55%+
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 am

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/ ... 211229001/

SJT-IAH is returning. UA feeders have served San Angelo several times in the past.
I was told there would be cookies...
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3519
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2021/01/19/san-angelo-regional-airport-partners-skywest-airlines-houston/4211229001/

SJT-IAH is returning. UA feeders have served San Angelo several times in the past.


A good start to getting back into a number of smaller cities for TX.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7481
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 am

mjba257 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat

Got anything for LAX?


I could see UA trying PHL, PIT, CMH, TPA, and maybe even ATL domestically, trying to get those premium O&D pax. Int'l, perhaps they could try GRU (AA dropped that route, which means nobody currently flies LAX-GRU so perhaps UA can try and get on the market. If Hong Kong can return to it's glory days pre-COVID/protests, perhaps they could also try LAX-HKG. Remember, a big factor at LAX is gate space, so if UA does get the expansions they've wanted, capacity their will increase.

I think GRU to west coast is better for SFO for the numerous Asian connections. For LAX, I think HKG and SIN will return by 2025.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
sfojvjets
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:00 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 am

TWA772LR wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
Got anything for LAX?


I could see UA trying PHL, PIT, CMH, TPA, and maybe even ATL domestically, trying to get those premium O&D pax. Int'l, perhaps they could try GRU (AA dropped that route, which means nobody currently flies LAX-GRU so perhaps UA can try and get on the market. If Hong Kong can return to it's glory days pre-COVID/protests, perhaps they could also try LAX-HKG. Remember, a big factor at LAX is gate space, so if UA does get the expansions they've wanted, capacity their will increase.

I think GRU to west coast is better for SFO for the numerous Asian connections. For LAX, I think HKG and SIN will return by 2025.


I could definitely see UA returning on LAX-HKG. However, that SIN flight will never come back. That flight was heavily reliant on biz pax when it operated, and needed to be weight-restricted with seats blocked. UA cut SIN from LAX long before COVID and added a second flight from SFO instead to better favor connections. So that SIN flight won't likely be coming back.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7481
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 am

sfojvjets wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

I could see UA trying PHL, PIT, CMH, TPA, and maybe even ATL domestically, trying to get those premium O&D pax. Int'l, perhaps they could try GRU (AA dropped that route, which means nobody currently flies LAX-GRU so perhaps UA can try and get on the market. If Hong Kong can return to it's glory days pre-COVID/protests, perhaps they could also try LAX-HKG. Remember, a big factor at LAX is gate space, so if UA does get the expansions they've wanted, capacity their will increase.

I think GRU to west coast is better for SFO for the numerous Asian connections. For LAX, I think HKG and SIN will return by 2025.


I could definitely see UA returning on LAX-HKG. However, that SIN flight will never come back. That flight was heavily reliant on biz pax when it operated, and needed to be weight-restricted with seats blocked. UA cut SIN from LAX long before COVID and added a second flight from SFO instead to better favor connections. So that SIN flight won't likely be coming back.

True, but the same PIP for the 789 that enables JNB-EWR nonstop can definitely help LAX-SIN.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 am

During recent pilot townhall, a question was asked about previous plans to purchase used frames and below was the response.

A. There are no further plans for used airplane acquisitions. We have another (16) A319 airplanes coming from EasyJet and (12) B737-700’s from Southwest, and since those airplanes need reconfiguration, they will likely be the last out of storage sometime in the next few years.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:05 am

CALMSP wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2021/01/19/san-angelo-regional-airport-partners-skywest-airlines-houston/4211229001/

SJT-IAH is returning. UA feeders have served San Angelo several times in the past.


A good start to getting back into a number of smaller cities for TX.


Agreed. (Abilene is starting in similar set-up to SJT with the two year contract and million to help if needed).

Maybe something in NE-Texas like Tyler or Texarkana (yes I know the airport is on the Arkie side).

Or the Del Rio service again. Would be nice to see some more dots on Texas that are not AA LOL
I was told there would be cookies...
 
jayunited
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:07 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand. \


Depending on how the recovery goes I can see UA launching ORD-BCN/ATH/VCE for the 2022 European season. I don't see it happening in 2021 and talking to one of my friends who is a travel agent she is already seeing a lot of her clients moving their 2021 European cruises or vacation plans to 2022. She thinks the 2021 that while the 2021 European travel season will be better than 2020 we are not going to see strong robust demand until 2022. Also several US land based cruise operators have already started canceling part of their 2021 European cruise season. Looking at the rest of your ORD wish list I don't see UA trying GIG, even on a seasonal basis. UA tried ORD-EZE years ago it was an absolute failure and was cancel, I think EWR-EZE is a better fit for UA's network and UA should give it another try. ORD-SCL will never happen but perhaps UA could give ORD-LIM a try maybe on a MAX 10 once those aircraft enter the fleet.

Looking at the rest of your wish list I see an overwhelming theme which is Sydney. I think for the remainder of this year 2021 UA simply maintains the status quo (SFO/LAX-SYD) because there is a strong possibility Australia remains closed until early 2022. If Australia reopens in 2022, you might see UA restart IAH-SYD for the IATA winter schedule because again there could be a lot of pent up demand for travel to Australia. However I do not think we are going to see within the next 5 years DEN-SYD even though the route is shorter than IAH-SYD. What kind of weight penalty would the flight take out of DEN? ORD and EWR to SYD are completely outside of the range of anything UA currently has in our fleet. Unless Boeing comes up with some type of 789ER or 789LR you can forget about ORD/EWR-SYD ever happening on UA.

Scott Kirby is now talking about reimagining the network which includes long haul so what I would like to see from UA is restarting SFO/LAX-MEL and SFO-AKL service in 2022 if those countries are open. I would also like to see from 2022 onward UA capitalize on VA's absence in the US-Australia market by launching SFO-BNE, and SFO-PER (it would be nice to beat Qantas to the punch on SFO-BNE). Perhaps take on American Airlines and leverage our JV with Air New Zealand by launch SFO-CHC. And with DEN-AKL being almost 1,000 nm shorter than DEN-SYD perhaps DEN-AKL could work on a seasonal basis without a weight penalty out of DEN. Starting in 2022 it would be nice to see DEN-AMS and DEN-CDG these routes would complement DEN-LHR/FRA routes. Finally it would I would love to see UA relaunch IAH-CDG, I know many people have pointed out AF has locked up the lucrative contracts but I think UA should get back on this route even if its seasonal.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:14 pm

I could see UA trying more fun longhaul routes from EWR and SFO. EWR-CMN/BLR/GIG/SCL would all be nice and filled with tons of leisure. SFO-BOM has to be on the list I would think. LAX-TLV and FRA are probably the biggest holes in UA’s robust intl network.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6226
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm

CALMSP wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2021/01/19/san-angelo-regional-airport-partners-skywest-airlines-houston/4211229001/

SJT-IAH is returning. UA feeders have served San Angelo several times in the past.


A good start to getting back into a number of smaller cities for TX.


Score! Now we need ACT and TYR back.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6226
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:14 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat


Ill bite.

ORD-South America isnt happening beyond what they have with GRU. Same SIN/SYD.

ORD-Secondary Europe could be good when demand returns. A flight to VCE or ATH would be good adds on a seasonal basis.

I dont really see much from EWR for the next 2 years. Same SFO. That has more to do with the regions being much more conservative to re-opening. It will take them longer to recover than a place like Denver or Texas.

As much as I would love to see IAH-HKG, its never happening.

Houston does now have the largest Nigerian population outside of Africa so the demand for IAH-LOS is huge, but I just dont see it coming back.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
codc10
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:20 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)
At ORD:
- UA launches seasonal TATL routes to ATH, VCE, BCN - huge leisure markets, which we know will rebound quicker than business-heavy routes
- New South American flights to GIG, EZE, LIM, and SCL - if UA schedules strategically, they could use ORD as an important Asia-LatAm connector
- A seasonal flight to LIH, giving ORD non-stop flights to all of the four main Hawaiian islands
- In the TPAC arena, I can expect an ICN flight, with OZ leaving Star Alliance, UA can now fly the route on its own metal, as well as an ultra long haul flight, perhaps to either SYD or SIN

SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO

EWR:
- Probably stays stagnant for the time being, at least until demand returns.
- Once the aircraft with range becomes available, I am sure UA will try EWR-SYD, a city pair that people have wanted non-stop flights between for ages
- UA starts EWR-ICN with OZ leaving *A

DEN
- As a primarily domestic hub, this is the hub I am most optimistic about. I can see the addition of several new regional markets as well as upgrading existing UAX routes to mainline
- Perhaps UA takes a mega gamble and tries DEN-SYD. That of course is a BIG maybe. It is within range. Question is the demand.

IAH
- UA may try resuming some oil routes, like IAH-LOS. Even with covid, Big Oil still has a demand for business travel
- IAH-HKG may have been possible pre-COVID/protests, but now the prospects appear extremely low for the foreseeable future. I always wonder how AA keeps DFW-HKG afloat


Ill bite.

ORD-South America isnt happening beyond what they have with GRU. Same SIN/SYD.

ORD-Secondary Europe could be good when demand returns. A flight to VCE or ATH would be good adds on a seasonal basis.

I dont really see much from EWR for the next 2 years. Same SFO. That has more to do with the regions being much more conservative to re-opening. It will take them longer to recover than a place like Denver or Texas.

As much as I would love to see IAH-HKG, its never happening.

Houston does now have the largest Nigerian population outside of Africa so the demand for IAH-LOS is huge, but I just dont see it coming back.


Agree. We are looking at a very slow recovery for international.

The best thing that UA can hope for coming out of this pandemic-related downturn is to make progress in transforming DEN, and IAH (to a lesser extent), into powerhouse domestic hubs approaching the scale of AA (CLT/DFW) and DL (ATL). Domestic will bounce back faster and those hubs were key drivers of AA/DL profitability in the last boom cycle.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3519
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
I could see UA trying more fun longhaul routes from EWR and SFO. EWR-CMN/BLR/GIG/SCL would all be nice and filled with tons of leisure. SFO-BOM has to be on the list I would think. LAX-TLV and FRA are probably the biggest holes in UA’s robust intl network.


there won't be any rush to add LAX-FRA as UA already has revenue tied to that route with LH. I can't see UA/LH deciding to add another any time soon.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Back to reality.

Kirby on CNBC this morning:
"Hope is not a strategy for us ... our best, middle-of-the-fairway guess is demand takes a little longer to recover," says United CEO Scott Kirby on Q4. "We're not yet ready to project the inflection point and turn in demand."
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/20/stock-f ... ffice.html

Shares of UAL down 6%. While management pushing the message of a brighter 2023, investors want to know how ugly 2021 will be and more clarity on cash break even point as the debt pile mounts.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
codc10
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm

codc10 wrote:

Agree. We are looking at a very slow recovery for international.

The best thing that UA can hope for coming out of this pandemic-related downturn is to make progress in transforming DEN, and IAH (to a lesser extent), into powerhouse domestic hubs approaching the scale of AA (CLT/DFW) and DL (ATL). Domestic will bounce back faster and those hubs were key drivers of AA/DL profitability in the last boom cycle.


And Nocella basically just undercut this argument on the conference call... it will be interesting to watch...
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7481
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:12 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
As much as I would love to see IAH-HKG, its never happening

I would LOVE for that to happen!
jayunited wrote:
SFO-BNE, and SFO-PER (it would be nice to beat Qantas to the punch on SFO-BNE). Perhaps take on American Airlines and leverage our JV with Air New Zealand by launch SFO-CHC

BNE is probably UAs largest hole pre-COVID, and UA has been getting creative and aggressive so it could be possible to kick out AA from CHC like they are leveraged to to with BLR. For PER, unless UA goes down the Project Sunrise route, it's not going to happen. It's 100 miles longer than DOH-AKL, and I don't see it happening unless oil exploration explodes in Western Australia and UA lands a giant contract with BHP Billiton.
jayunited wrote:
DEN-AMS and DEN-CDG these routes would complement DEN-LHR/FRA routes. Finally it would I would love to see UA relaunch IAH-CDG,

Oh man I would love to see DEN-AMS just as much as I'd love to see IAH-HKG! And the UA of today is leaps and bounds further than the UA of 2012-ish when IAH-CDG was dropped. CDG would probably see the return to IAH before DEN, but UA is pretty strong in AMS for not having a partner so I'd say DEN-AMS is not unlikely; is Shell in on fracking in the Great Plains?
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25094
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm

More government cheese on the way.

United Airlines Holdings submitted its application to the US Treasury pursuant to Payroll Support Program Extension Agreement with the Treasury expected to provide the carrier total funding of approximately US$2.6 billion.

SEC filing:
https://ir.united.com/node/24426/html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:02 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I think GRU to west coast is better for SFO for the numerous Asian connections. For LAX, I think HKG and SIN will return by 2025.


I could definitely see UA returning on LAX-HKG. However, that SIN flight will never come back. That flight was heavily reliant on biz pax when it operated, and needed to be weight-restricted with seats blocked. UA cut SIN from LAX long before COVID and added a second flight from SFO instead to better favor connections. So that SIN flight won't likely be coming back.

True, but the same PIP for the 789 that enables JNB-EWR nonstop can definitely help LAX-SIN.


JNB-EWR is performance limited (likely second stage climb) due to the JNB altitude. The performance enhancement is a thrust bump to increase the weight of that limitation. Due to the performance limitation, take off weight is less than MTOW.

SIN-LAX was weight limited, i.e. it was going out at MTOW. Both airports are at sea level without obstacles, so there were not performance issues reducing the weight available.

Therefore, the increase that helps the two new routes does *not* help LAX-SIN. It will require a retrofittable PIP that reduces enroute fuel burn and/or decreases drag, or a newer build batch that is lighter or has a higher MTOW rating, or the A359's come on property at 280T rating. None of these are happening anytime soon and therefore we should not expect to see LAX-SIN back anytime soon either.
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 pm

codc10 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

Agree. We are looking at a very slow recovery for international.

The best thing that UA can hope for coming out of this pandemic-related downturn is to make progress in transforming DEN, and IAH (to a lesser extent), into powerhouse domestic hubs approaching the scale of AA (CLT/DFW) and DL (ATL). Domestic will bounce back faster and those hubs were key drivers of AA/DL profitability in the last boom cycle.


And Nocella basically just undercut this argument on the conference call... it will be interesting to watch...


The domestic network is likely not to return to previous levels of profitability for 5+ years, if ever. Why? Markets are cyclical. When a certain segment overperforms, it attracts new competitors due to the "opportunity" available. The DL model's prime time has passed, there are too many ULCC and LCC's in the market space, with more on the way, and AA/UA are much better competitors than they were previously.

Make no mistake, this does not mean the legacies can ignore/shrink/cut the domestic market the way Smisek did. It just means the extreme profitability will not return.

AA was already in trouble before COVID. Their peak had already passed. Delta was well on it's way to evolving it's domestic network to the new challenges. Financially, they were hanging in there but the growth of results had slowed.
 
User avatar
ADent
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 pm

codc10 wrote:

The best thing that UA can hope for coming out of this pandemic-related downturn is to make progress in transforming DEN, and IAH (to a lesser extent), into powerhouse domestic hubs approaching the scale of AA (CLT/DFW) and DL (ATL).

United is on contract to get 23 Gates on the A concourse in Denver by the end on this year.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
I think Q4 total is down for UA vs Q3
https://crankyflier.com/2020/11/10/and- ... -derby-is/
It was close to $40 million a day with debt/severance payments and now down to $33 million. It does seem like debt payment will go up as UA collect more debt at higher interest. Same with severance as more employees are terminated. Frankly, it's good to see UA listing the full picture number rather than just providing a low shiny number to gloat to the world.

I would say that there is a slowdown in burn rate reduction. That could be a challenging geographical issue for UA since Florida is where all the money is going to.


You are absolutely correct and United hit on this today on the employees earnings live. They noted there were many questions from employees wondering why it appeared as though our burn rate increased in Q4 when in fact the burn rate did decrease just not at the rate we saw Q2 vs Q3. I do like the fact that United puts the entire number out there and they were quick to point out United is already paying down some of the debt we've accumulate. They went to great lengths to reassure employees United is still headed in the right direction with our cash burn but they don't want to give employees false hope that we will reach break even in Q1 or Q2 of 2021 because it isn't going to happen.

Also do to the slow rollout of the vaccines United does not expect any type of sustainable recovery to begin until Q4 2021 at the earliest. I took that statement to mean European travel season in 2021 will probably look a lot like it did in 2020. The US government and Biden Administration is scheduled to meet with their European, Canadian, South American and Asian government counterparts. United government affairs devision does expect summer travel restriction will be a topic of discussion but United does not expect to see full reopening of international borders in 2021. They expect there will be strict restrictions like testing and perhaps even vaccine requirements. An interesting thing brought up while on the topic on international travel is United does NOT expect the situation in China to change any time soon even with Biden in office. Our team believes it will take years for these two countries to figure things out which of course will have a huge impact on travel to/from China. In my opinion depending on the political climate (and again just my opinion) it could take 5-9 years for UA to resume our pre-COVID level of service to China this also includes Hong Kong.

Domestically UA's goals in 2021 is to continue to focus on rebuilding our mid-continent hubs with DEN leading the way. Our mid-continent hubs will grow a lot faster in 2021 than our coastal hubs but if we see an increase in demand coastal United does have the ability and flexibility to respond.

One of the last things that stuck out to me was aircraft retirements. Those expecting United to announce fleet retirements in early 2021 that isn't going to happen. For now United plans on keeping all remaining aircraft in the fleet. Any aircraft not needed at this time will simply remain in long term storage.
 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:12 am

I am always seeing talk about potential United Southeast hubs/fcs. Could TPA be an optimal choice? MCO, FLL, and MIA are packed while TPA only hubs with Silver.

I am curious on opinions of United and the southeast. Do the ULCCs do well at TPA?
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 am

TPA's pretty out of the way for any southeast connecting traffic. And it doesn't have nearly the LatAm O&D of MIA, the cruise O&D of FLL, or the mouse O&D of MCO. There's a reason it's just Silver.
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:39 am

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N31131 (ex-AX 2003 build) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir

CR7:
N791SK exited ROW in EvoBlu livery

CR2:
N910SW exited ROW in EvoBlu livery
N926SW entered ROW for paint
N964SW entered ROW for paint
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:52 pm

UAinAUS wrote:
UAX Update:

E145XR:
N31131 (ex-AX 2003 build) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir

CR7:
N791SK exited ROW in EvoBlu livery

CR2:
N910SW exited ROW in EvoBlu livery
N926SW entered ROW for paint
N964SW entered ROW for paint


Is this the 1st non-550 CR7 to be repainted? The OO CR7s are really overdue for some paint.
 
GSP psgr
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:09 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:42 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)


SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO


How about a SFO-GUM-BKK route? Most of the cargo goes to GUM, most of the passengers go to Thailand. I also wonder if UA might be interested in adding back GUM-DPS on a 738; it's an old CO Mike route that was dropped awhile back, but with a rise in premium leisure travel.....maybe it's more viable. DPS is an Asian destination that's not real easy to get to from Tokyo, and Seoul won't be an option either.
 
mjba257
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:07 am

GSP psgr wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Switching gears for a moment, here's my predictions for UA over the next 5 years (with the caveat that demand will return quicker than people anticipate)


SFO
- UA could possibly try SFO-BKK; Thailand is a popular tourist destination, even for Americans and there just may be a demand to fill a 787. Plus BKK is a *A hub, so you have the possibility for onward connections
- I can foresee an SFO-GUM nonstop, becoming the first time Guam has a nonstop flight to the US mainland. Cargo load would be the primary money maker for this flight, but I could see UA trying to get some additional revenue from pax as well
- Other than those two, I don't foresee anything new from SFO


How about a SFO-GUM-BKK route? Most of the cargo goes to GUM, most of the passengers go to Thailand. I also wonder if UA might be interested in adding back GUM-DPS on a 738; it's an old CO Mike route that was dropped awhile back, but with a rise in premium leisure travel.....maybe it's more viable. DPS is an Asian destination that's not real easy to get to from Tokyo, and Seoul won't be an option either.


UA has definitely re-invented GUM into a cargo hub during this pandemic and hopefully that is something to stay. They are regularly flying from the mainland to Guam with cargo only. It is only inevitable that eventually they will start having pax on for additional revenue. Sure, the flights won't be full and it won't be turning a profit, but that's not the point. Cargo is what would make said route profitable.

DPS could work from GUM, especially with a direct flight from the mainland feeding said flight. BKK though most likely would need to be served nonstop from SFO on a 787. Currently, most US pax going to Thailand on UA go through Tokyo and transfer to ANA.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4426
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:45 am

No doubt a response to WN's entrance to COS.

United Airlines Plans Significant Schedule Enhancement at Colorado Springs Airport

Colorado Springs, CO – Colorado Springs Airport (COS) announces a significant increase in service by United Airlines beginning February 11, 2021. United plans to increase service to 11 daily nonstop flights from Colorado Springs, operating with mainline and regional aircraft and increasing the number of daily seats by 8.5% versus last year. United also plans to re-launch its COS to Los Angeles (LAX) nonstop service, which was previously suspended due COVID-19. With this re-launch, United serves Colorado Springs from four of its hubs – Denver, Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles.

“We look forward to enhancing and rebuilding service between Colorado Springs and four United hubs,” said Ankit Gupta, United’s vice president of Domestic Network Planning. “This expansion will provide travelers with seamless, nonstop connections to our global network, including our Denver hub that serves more than 160 destinations worldwide– the most of any airline.”

United Airlines Schedule effective February 11, 2021:

Denver (DEN)
6 daily nonstop flights (Including 3 Mainline aircraft)
Chicago (ORD)
2 daily nonstop flights (Including 1 Mainline aircraft)
Houston (IAH)
2 daily nonstop flights
Los Angeles (LAX)
1 daily nonstop flight (starting February 12)
United will resume nonstop service from Colorado Springs and Los Angeles using Embraer E175 aircraft with 70 seats, including United First with 12 First Class seats, 16 United Economy Plus seats and 42 United Economy seats.



https://coloradosprings.gov/flycos/arti ... t-schedule
 
GmoneyCO
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:45 am

MAX 9:
N37522 - Delivered on 22-Jan/2709. Currently in SEA for induction work
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 21

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos