Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305

Re: UA announces BOS-LHR

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Wow. I don't know about the AA part of it as transatlantic should be excluded from the AA/B6 alliance. I do believe it is a shot across the bow at B6 directly in their quest to start transatlantic service. With the high J configuration, that's a notable number of additional premium seats in the market and with the flight going to LHR, it makes LGW, STN or whichever airport B6 has been able to secure slots for thus far all the less attractive.

bevan7

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Could this be one of those slots BA have to give up if a new entrant enters this market?

tphuang

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Could be seen as a response to JetBlue keep adding EWR routes. Or, maybe they see more demand to London from Boston than other airports. They are going to have to rely on O&D though, since there is no feed on either end.

interesting part is that JetBlue is only planning to start service to London from 1 city this summer. We could very well have a case where all 3 legacies fly BOS-LHR this year and JetBlue does not, lol.

AC4500

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm

United adds daily BOS-LHR flights: https://hub.united.com/2021-02-19-unite ... 21690.html

BOS-LHR: 10:00 PM - 9:35 AM (+1)
LHR-BOS: 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Aircraft: 767-300ER

Brickell305

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:41 pm

tphuang wrote:
Could be seen as a response to JetBlue keep adding EWR routes. Or, maybe they see more demand to London from Boston than other airports. They are going to have to rely on O&D though, since there is no feed on either end.

interesting part is that JetBlue is only planning to start service to London from 1 city this summer. We could very well have a case where all 3 legacies fly BOS-LHR this year and JetBlue does not, lol.

Just to clarify, while there is no Star Alliance airline with a hub at LHR, there is feed to the Star Alliance carriers that serve LHR and there are several Star Alliance carriers that serve it. So someone from BOS heading to BRU, FRA, MUC, CPH, OSL, ZRH, JNB, etc. could potentially be routed via LHR once the schedules align.

kiowa

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm

There has been talk of this for many years. Great news!

GCT64

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Before Covid, the lack of Star Alliance on BOS-LON was a major gap if you were a FF scheme member (I used to do the route a lot and the lack of Star was annoying). But not sure why it would be launched post-Covid until we see how the business travel market pans out.

jayunited

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
This is an EWR slot I’m assuming?

I think you could be right pre-COVID UA was slated to increase EWR-LHR to 6x daily we are not going to need 6x daily service out of EWR for quite some time. And although the 80/20 use it or loose rule has been waive for 2021, I think (and I could be wrong) airlines will be required to utilize at least 50% of their slots this upcoming summer season. Even though it is going to take a while for business traffic to recover there is no way United will either willingly or otherwise give away slots at LHR they simply to valuable. So if United has to operate BOS-LHR to get us across that 50% threshold then I'm guessing that is what we are going to do.

However long term I don't see this route hanging around I see this as temporary until New York City and UA at EWR are back up and running at full steam.

PlymSpotter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

Just to clarify, while there is no Star Alliance airline with a hub at LHR, there is feed to the Star Alliance carriers that serve LHR and there are several Star Alliance carriers that serve it. So someone from BOS heading to BRU, FRA, MUC, CPH, OSL, ZRH, JNB, etc. could potentially be routed via LHR once the schedules align.

Indeed - between, Aegean, Air India, Austrian, Brussels, Croatia Airlines, Egyptair, LOT, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss, TAP and Turkish, LHR has more potential onward connections than some actual StarAlliance hubs.

airbazar

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:01 pm

This is fantastic news for us *A/UA FF's! BOS-LHR was a HUGE gap for *A, pre-pandemic.

Brickell305 wrote:

There's an entire terminal dedicated just to Star Alliance. Virtually every *A airline flies from there [pre-pandemic]. However, BOS-LHR is a huge market in an on itself.

Weatherwatcher1

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:06 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

Indeed - between, Aegean, Air India, Austrian, Brussels, Croatia Airlines, Egyptair, LOT, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss, TAP and Turkish, LHR has more potential onward connections than some actual StarAlliance hubs.

While connections are possible, I highly doubt UA is launching this route thinking that they will make money off of star alliance connections via LHR. Inter alliance connections are likely going to be low yielding. UA wants connections through their Lufthansa joint venture. Maybe some miles will get burned although LHR taxes and fees make it more expensive than other airports in Europe.

UA is going after some premium demand from the route. I wonder if they picked up a contract from a business client to buy business class seats. Otherwise they are just flooding the market with business class seats to make JetBlue’s new transatlantic flights out of BOS more difficult. That could be retaliation for the EWR build up.

Nicknuzzii

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:09 pm

airbazar wrote:
This is fantastic news for us *A/UA FF's! BOS-LHR was a HUGE gap for *A, pre-pandemic.

Brickell305 wrote:

There's an entire terminal dedicated just to Star Alliance. Virtually every *A airline flies from there [pre-pandemic]. However, BOS-LHR is a huge market in an on itself.

Huge hole for *A? I don’t really think so. A huge hole would be no Skyteam TATL service at all to PHL or EWR.

Cubsrule

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:13 pm

tphuang wrote:

Is slot usage now required at LHR? If so, BOS may be the least bad place to park a slot pair; the last time UA had a “spare” slot they operated LHR-BRU. Measured against that yardstick maybe BOS is sensible regardless of B6. It’s a very strong local market and one where UA has historically been a relatively big player.

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

One-stops via LHR aren't going to be competitive with non-stops to FRA, MUC, CPH, ZRH, IST... except at garbage fares. If UA is operating high J 763s at garbage fares and UA labor costs, it's got problems.

I'll give UA credit for trying. Going against AA/BA and DL/VS is going to be a challenge. B6 BOS-Stansted... hah hah hah.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incitatus

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:15 pm

Many routes from multiple airlines being announced currently are just fiction. This is the most stark example. United on BOS-LHR would never had had a chance before the pandemic. Shrink the market and this will be a financial disaster.

boston5555

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:20 pm

Interesting. I used to be a UA FF with weekly BOS-SFO/LAX trips, but a few years back it just seemed like they conceded the market to B6 and others. Nice to see them returning to BOS and while I would like to think that BOS-LHR is a further sign of that, I think the EWR explanation offered is probably accurate. Yes, I get the *alliance appeal, but BOS-LHR is well served already and it just seems like UA would focus on other options first. That being said, maybe someone remembers how UA's BOS-LHR route performed way back when (1990's, I believe? Didn't the flight originate at SFO?). Of course, those were the days when you could catch a SFO-BOS flight in a DC8 or a DC10 ....
Last edited by boston5555 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm

I feel like we are in silly-season with route announcements.

Everyone is playing the dart-board currently, playing with house money and "announcing" all these routes.
The question will be how many actually get pulled-down before they even start?

Everyone is chasing wherever the perceive to possibly be some glimmer of future demand/cash flow.

The good part is, I guess, that during the COVID era, its easy to open something up, announce a new route, then pull it down close-in if the demand isn't there.

Airlines still haven't even really fully pulled down their April schedules yet. are will be in the next few weeks.

Let me know when AA launches SEA-BLR btw....

calpsafltskeds

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm

319:
N2301U enroute CLE-GYR 2715/19Feb for storage/induction. Former EasyJet unit G-EZIM. 
4th ex-EasyJet unit in GYR, 3 others arrived in December.

USAirALB

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:25 pm

It's worth pointing out that this route is technically a resumption.

UA flew BOS-LHR with a 772/763 and was discontinued in October 2002. While I see how some are saying the route is simply being launched as a retaliatory measure/due to excess slack in the fleet at present, saying UA has no business on BOS-LHR doesn't entirely make sense. IIRC, they also had plans to fly BOS-FRA before 9/11.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm

USAirALB wrote:

UA flew BOS-LHR with a 772/763 and was discontinued in October 2002. While I see how some are saying the route is simply being launched as a retaliatory measure/due to excess slack in the fleet at present, saying UA has no business on BOS-LHR doesn't entirely make sense. IIRC, they also had plans to fly BOS-FRA before 9/11.

It is...UA flew it with a 767-300ER though, not a 772 for the most part. This is really a pointless add and a waste of a slot. UA doesn't need to be in the BOS-LHR market to be competitive against what it already has. This all reminds me of the industry in the 1980s and early 1990s where capacity dumps and frenzied competition helped no one but the consumer, with cheaper fares. US-London will recover and rebound but it will be a slow rebuild as business demand is key and that is a long way away from resuming to pre-pandemic levels.

IADCA

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

One-stops via LHR aren't going to be competitive with non-stops to FRA, MUC, CPH, ZRH, IST... except at garbage fares. If UA is operating high J 763s at garbage fares and UA labor costs, it's got problems.

I'll give UA credit for trying. Going against AA/BA and DL/VS is going to be a challenge. B6 BOS-Stansted... hah hah hah.

Probably not on those cities, but as to FRA, MUC, and ZRH at least (as well as VIE) the JV doesn't care because LH Group and UA have an ATI JV. And it gives additional connections to a lot of sizeable or important cities (some even *A hubs) that don't have nonstops to BOS - GVA, OSL, ARN, BRU among them.

That said, the only way this works is premium traffic, whether local or connecting. You don't use that configuration if you're trying to turn LHR into a Y-class connector. This is an interesting attempt.

ChrisNH38

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:34 pm

UA is very fickle about BOS, and this isn't their first hop into this bull ring. Unless UA was forced into this by slot rules, I'd have ANNOUNCED this later in 2021 for a March 2022 start.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Also, the schedule isn't amazing. 10PM departure Eastbound, 5PM return westbound.

Runway765

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Why is this needed? Isn't the BOS market oversaturated enough with London flights?

ChrisNH38

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Runway765 wrote:
Why is this needed? Isn't the BOS market oversaturated enough with London flights?

Maybe they think AA is going to cancel their own non-stop?

GCT64

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Also, the schedule isn't amazing. 10PM departure Eastbound, 5PM return westbound.

I think that is a good schedule for business people.
Allows a full day of work in MA, and time to get to BOS for 8PM check-in without being stressed by the traffic jams.
In the UK it allows 0.5-0.75 of a day of work, and gets you into BOS after rush hour.
As a LHR-BOS commuter (pre-Covid), I would be happy with that.

stlgph

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

I just love this place.

People who "love aviation" come on an online forum and bitch whine moan and bitch some more when an airline starts services somewhere. Must be a hit at parties....

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:41 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Maybe they think AA is going to cancel their own non-stop?

It wouldn't be surprising if AA postponed the launch, though their CEO has said it will go ahead and Parker says he sees a rebound on the horizon, but AA has the edge here in the LHR market as combined with BA, it will have frequency, which DL sort of has with VS, but UA will not. B6 might, depending on where they fly.

fun2fly

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:43 pm

AC4500 wrote:
United adds daily BOS-LHR flights: https://hub.united.com/2021-02-19-unite ... 21690.html

I think we'll see a lot of this P2P and random routes happening as airlines get more and more creative. Kudo's to UA for adding this creative route and give Star Alliance customers a way to LHR.

New slot or just moving slots around?

enilria

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Is slot usage now required at LHR? If so, BOS may be the least bad place to park a slot pair; the last time UA had a “spare” slot they operated LHR-BRU. Measured against that yardstick maybe BOS is sensible regardless of B6. It’s a very strong local market and one where UA has historically been a relatively big player.

I tend to think it’s this. There is a reduced usage requirement for the summer season this year, but more than airlines are flying. I don’t think they would even need a slot for this because if I remember correctly there are remedy slots available on this route.

catiii

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:46 pm

USAirALB wrote:

"They already had plans to do this 20 years ago so it makes sense."

Yeah...ok. :rotfl:

catiii

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:48 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
This is an EWR slot I’m assuming?

It's a slot pair they got from the CMA's May 2020 decision on the BA/AA JV. It's also covered by the existing slot waiver since they're not a new entrant.

codc10

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:52 pm

fun2fly wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I think we'll see a lot of this P2P and random routes happening as airlines get more and more creative. Kudo's to UA for adding this creative route and give Star Alliance customers a way to LHR.

I believe it will be a reshuffling of slots that came about from UA’s immediate pre-COVID acquisition of NZ’s LHR slot pair. UA reports this is its LHR #19. Originally it was due to be EWR #7... we’ll see if that ever comes to pass.

CALMSP

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm

AC4500 wrote:

there was talk of this just after the merger with the CO 752 fleet, much needed for STAR!

joeljack

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:

Schedule seems great! Can see family for dinner in evening then leave for work in London.

On return, can work in London til 2pm then head to airport to come home. I like it myself!

CALMSP

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm

codc10 wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I believe it will be a reshuffling of slots that came about from UA’s immediate pre-COVID acquisition of NZ’s LHR slot pair. UA reports this is its LHR #19. Originally it was due to be EWR #7... we’ll see if that ever comes to pass.

Thats why I still think JFK will come on board. There still is no demand for 5 or 6 EWR-LHR or even 3 IAD/ORD-LHR. A MIA-LHR wouldn't surprise me either swapping out a IAD or something.

CALMSP

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 pm

kiowa wrote:
There has been talk of this for many years. Great news!

agreed. I was in BOS for a station visit back in September 2011 and this was the #1 thing talked about with potential CO 752's bringing this route back. Glad that its announced........I sadly have zero faith this will fly in 2021.

chonetsao

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Competition is good for consumers.

Predatorial behaviour towards new competitor is bad.

GmoneyCO

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 pm

73G:
N7717D (future N13765) - Positioned from PAE to GYR for storage.

MAX 9:
N47512 - Scheduled to exit MCO after receiving upgrades on 20-Feb/2691. Will go to IAH before it enters service
N37513 - Scheduled to fly from GYR to MCO on 19-Feb/2712. The aircraft has already received its MAX upgrades so not sure if this is other maintenance work before it goes back into service or something else.
N27526 - Exitied SEA induction on 18-Feb/2698. Currently in IAH before it enters service.

763:
N653UA - Entered HKG on 16-Feb not on 10-Jan. ---- Typo on Fleet Site
N654UA - Entered HKG on 16-Feb not on 10-Jan. ---- Typo on Fleet Site
N655UA - Exited HKG on 19-Feb/2831 en-route to ORD
N675UA - Entered ILN on 11-Jan not 24-Sept ---- Typo on Fleet Site

NZ321

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Daily service between Boston and London-Heathrow to be operated by a high-J 767-300ER. A start date will be announced "later in 2021"
https://hub.united.com/2021-02-19-unite ... 21690.html

Certainly a competitive response to the AA/B6 tie-up I have to imagine.

What in the world is going on?

Why would UA care about AA/B6 in BOS?

This is indeed is not an obvious decision in the current market conditions.

Capricorn

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Smart decision. As both countries are relatively far ahead in the vaccination race I can see a UK-US travel bubble relatively quickly. But then again I feel 2022 is more realistic for a significant traffic increase (international).

NZ321

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 pm

joeljack wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Schedule seems great! Can see family for dinner in evening then leave for work in London.

It's sure gonna be a short and early dinner if that's the case....

ordbosewr

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

It is...UA flew it with a 767-300ER though, not a 772 for the most part. This is really a pointless add and a waste of a slot. UA doesn't need to be in the BOS-LHR market to be competitive against what it already has. This all reminds me of the industry in the 1980s and early 1990s where capacity dumps and frenzied competition helped no one but the consumer, with cheaper fares. US-London will recover and rebound but it will be a slow rebuild as business demand is key and that is a long way away from resuming to pre-pandemic levels.

I took the 763 a few times from BOS-LHR, when I lived in BOS. It made the travel so much better as UA FF, and kept me on UA metal more, which is what I really wanted (I know some people would not).
Back then I did a number of ways to get to various cities in Europe, I connected from BOS to SAS and BMI at LHR and other scenarios I even went down to IAD and ORD, the later of which took out whole days for travel.
Today, it is different with UA having EWR being so close to BOS the many of the options are better, but anyone who has ever taken the BOS-EWR flights know that connections can be a nightmare due to weather and congestion at both airports.

ordbosewr

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:31 pm

NZ321 wrote:
joeljack wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

This is the same as some of the EWR flights.
I do not usually eat, just board the plane, go to sleep wake up when landing. Eat dinner in BOS and breakfast at destination airport/city.

CALMSP

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:32 pm

NZ321 wrote:
joeljack wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

no kidding! I avoid EWR-LHR as it is, BOS is gonna be that much shorter! Would really have loved a morning BOS-LHR on the 75.

jetblastdubai

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
to make JetBlue’s new transatlantic flights out of BOS more difficult. That could be retaliation for the EWR build up.

Regardless of the primary reason UA is jumping into the BOS-LON market, B6 entry into traditionally "legacy-only", International territory could be something UA would like to make as painful as possible. With EWR being relatively slot-free, it could give B6 a lot of Int'l opportunity at UAs hub in the future if their initial BOS/JFK-LON experiment is successful.

If part of the issue is the slot waiver expiring, then spreading out their service really has no drawback. BOS has been on/off with widebody service in the past so UA isn't exactly an unknown to BOS travelers. As mentioned before, UA will more than likely not want to surrender LHR slots under any normal circumstances. BOS is the shortest flight possible and they're planning on using the smallest widebody in the fleet so total cost will be minimized.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bos-lhr,+e ... r,+lax-lhr

LHR is nicely covered.

lostsound

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:50 pm

B6 honestly doesn’t need to worry too much with a drastically better network to connect to out of BOS than UA + better brand loyalty in Boston. Also their costs will be less so they can still charge cheaper tickets.

Brickell305

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

Please don't forget the BOOMING tech industry in Stansted... :rotfl:

COSPN

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:59 pm

So are LHR slots still “use it or loose it” it’s allocated by a non political commission right? so not part of the government .

airzona11

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:59 pm

UA has a corporate account and no doubt can tap into more (like DL AA ... B6 as well). The Hi-j 763 is built for LHR. Great to see the non-standard hub routes added. Precovid airlines were starting to get creative because times were good and markets booming, now they need to find those folks who are/will be flying. Bring on more of these adds.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos