Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii

Re: UA announces BOS-LHR

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 am

tphuang wrote:
Tack wrote:
airbazar wrote:
While I do take any new route announcements in the current environment with a very large grain of salt, I think this route has a fair shot at staying.
As I pointed out above, this would be just another spoke off of their LHR hub, and a short one at that. I feel that this route is incredibly valuable for the A++ alliance. This would give the A++ alliance a tremendous boost from Boston, connecting all the major business cities in Europe: London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich.

I agree, this move might be slightly directed at B6 for EWR, but I'd speculate that it is more to fill a gap in *A. Anyone that has to use air travel to make a living, relies on one, sometimes more, of the 3 Alliances to meet all or as much of their flying needs as possible. There just aren't that many 'free agents' out there that travel for business. I guarantee UA will find enough *A frequent flyers in BOS that this one flight has a good chance to last. As stated above, every move that is made by carriers in the NE, as much as B6 fans want to believe, isn't a counter move against B6. B6 is a fine national airline, and their AA partnership means they'll get some of my flying dollars that they never had a chance at before. But they aren't an 800 pound gorilla.

Most of the people who have said this is a counter move to b6 on this thread are not JetBlue fans. There aren't that many jetblue fans. Please get your fact straight.

Ua looks to got these as remedial slot from cma and they are using it. I don't think we need to read more into it than that.

Correct. The CMA didn’t give them to B6, they instead went to UA.

bevan7

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:43 am

rbavfan wrote:
bevan7 wrote:
Could this be one of those slots BA have to give up if a new entrant enters this market?

If it was one of the BA slots it would have gone to B6 not UA. UA is not a new entrant at LHR. hey go to new entrants, not new cities.

I thought were a couple of city pairs that were available that BA had to give up if anybody wanted a couple of specific routes. LHR-BOS, LHR-CAI and I think there was another.

RobJNYC

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:44 am

rbavfan wrote:
bevan7 wrote:
Could this be one of those slots BA have to give up if a new entrant enters this market?

If it was one of the BA slots it would have gone to B6 not UA. UA is not a new entrant at LHR. hey go to new entrants, not new cities.

I think "new entrant" refers to the specific market (here, BOS-LHR) not as a new entrant to LHR generally.
As others have stated, this is a CMA remedial slot award to UA. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect that UA is willing to roll the dice on this route for 6 IATA seasons in order to secure the LHR slot permanently and then move it in order to add another UA Hub-LHR flight in 2024 or 2025.

adamh8297

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:49 am

airbazar wrote:

While I do take any new route announcements in the current environment with a very large grain of salt, I think this route has a fair shot at staying.
As I pointed out above, this would be just another spoke off of their LHR hub, and a short one at that. I feel that this route is incredibly valuable for the A++ alliance. This would give the A++ alliance a tremendous boost from Boston, connecting all the major business cities in Europe: London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich.

I think this was DL/KL/AF's initial strategy on BOS-LHR when DL took the remedy slot and had some low loads initially - The more we fly it the better CDG and AMS perform.

Top it off on UA's end - they have strength in the most important business route in BOS - SFO, a strong Latin America partner in CM at Logan, a Canadian partner pre-COVID that covered a lot that AA/B6/DL did not or could not in the case of WS struggles with BOS-YHZ/YUL. You may not be able to get everywhere non-stop but its typically the most important locations.

All that is missing is East Asia - Come on NH!!!!!
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

ChrisNH38

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 am

bevan7 wrote:
I thought were a couple of city pairs that were available that BA had to give up if anybody wanted a couple of specific routes. LHR-BOS, LHR-CAI and I think there was another.

Does the fact that BA has dropped from four to three flights BOS-LHR (summer 2019 v. Summer 2021) matter here?
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

airbazar

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 am

adamh8297 wrote:
I think this was DL/KL/AF's initial strategy on BOS-LHR when DL took the remedy slot and had some low loads initially - The more we fly it the better CDG and AMS perform.

DL's BOS-LHR has been one of the lowest if not the lowest TATL LF routes out of Boston. Why? Supposedly because the loads up front are very good. I suspect the same will happen to UA. As long as the front cabin is full they won't care if they operate at 70% LF.

And yes, come on ANA! :)

GmoneyCO

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:21 am

jayunited wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
Bad day for UA today. Two in-flight engine failures.

N772UA suffered a serious right engine failure shortly after take off from DEN to HNL (flight 328) earlier this afternoon. The engine cowling and other large pieces of the engine came off and landed on the ground just west of DEN. The plane safely diverted back to DEN, no injuries reported. Great job by the crew on handling the issue.

This aircraft will be on the ground in DEN for quite some time while it undergoes a major engine repair or an engine change if they have a spare available in DEN or one that they can ship in.

N77538 suffered a right engine failure going from CUN to IAH today as flight 1832 and re-routed to MSY. Expect that it will be on the ground at MSY for a prolonged period while they investigate what happened since it had been grounded in CUN due to a separate hydraulics issue and this was its first flight after being repaired.

Flight 328 Thread: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1458015

Flight 1832/N77538 Thread: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1458009

There is a difference between an engine failure and the captain shutting down an engine in flight. CUN-IAH was not an engine failure the captain shut down the engine in flight the final report is not out yet but presumable it is probably related to the hydraulic issue that forced the aircraft to divert to CUN 2 days ago.

A controlled shut down and an abrupt total un-contained engine failure are to different things.

Completely agree that there is a difference between an engine failure the like of what occurred on Flight 328 and what occurred on Flight 1832. I read what occurred on 1832 as a engine failure of some sort that resulted in a shutdown whereas 328 was an uncontained failure.

In both scenarios, the crews appear to have handled everything very well based on both outcomes and what has been reported thus far.

My sincere hope is that there is nothing more to either incident beyond coincidence.

acavpics

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:52 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
bevan7 wrote:

Does the fact that BA has dropped from four to three flights BOS-LHR (summer 2019 v. Summer 2021) matter here?

AA is operating one of the flights on a 777. Maybe if COVID wasn't around, BA would have done their usual 4 daily in addition to AA's flight. But I think we will have to wait till summer 2022 to see that.

acavpics

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 am

airbazar wrote:

I feel that this route is incredibly valuable for the A++ alliance. This would give the A++ alliance a tremendous boost from Boston, connecting all the major business cities in Europe: London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich.

But then, how come they didn't chose one of these cities to fly from BOS instead of LHR?

YYZflyboy

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 am

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

DL's BOS-LHR has been one of the lowest if not the lowest TATL LF routes out of Boston. Why? Supposedly because the loads up front are very good. I suspect the same will happen to UA. As long as the front cabin is full they won't care if they operate at 70% LF.

And yes, come on ANA! :)

UA can use the back of the plane in the same way like DL does with their BOS-LHR flight. There are only 121 W and Y seats at the back of the high-J 763. It can be filled the following ways:

a) O/D Y class passengers ex-LHR/BOS
b) Connections from other non-stop BOS-Continental US cities by United, as well as other one-stop passengers looking for value fares.
c) One-stop connections via LHR to secondary German cities (via Eurowings to HAM, BER, DUS, CGN) to open up O/D seats on direct LH flights to MUC/FRA, as well as to other *A carriers like OU and A3 (Boston has a sizeable Balkan/Greek population).
d) Overflow for other oversold/delayed UA hub flights.
e) Capacity for non-rev/FF on *A programs.
f) Connections from other *A flights that also operate in BOS (namely AC).
Last edited by YYZflyboy on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

United1

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:19 am

acavpics wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I feel that this route is incredibly valuable for the A++ alliance. This would give the A++ alliance a tremendous boost from Boston, connecting all the major business cities in Europe: London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich.

But then, how come they didn't chose one of these cities to fly from BOS instead of LHR?

Why would UA need to fly its own metal to FRA, MUC or ZRH from BOS? All three of those routes are covered by Lufty and Swiss and are flown as part of the A++ Joint Venture that UA is a part of. LHR was the JVs biggest transatlantic gap from BOS and of the JV partners UA is the logical airline to fly that route.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

CALMSP

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:13 am

acavpics wrote:
airbazar wrote:

technically speaking, UA does fly those routes already............except on LH planes or LX.

Boiler905

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Wow. I don't know about the AA part of it as transatlantic should be excluded from the AA/B6 alliance. I do believe it is a shot across the bow at B6 directly in their quest to start transatlantic service. With the high J configuration, that's a notable number of additional premium seats in the market and with the flight going to LHR, it makes LGW, STN or whichever airport B6 has been able to secure slots for thus far all the less attractive.

If this is true, and it's a shot at B6, just imagine what UA's response will be when B6 announces TATL routes from NYC!
Boiler Up

ericm2031

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

Looks like TWF is getting once daily service to DEN, flights are loaded for sale. An EAS route operated by OO. Previously a common diversion and bussing stop for SUN diversions.

https://www.mtexpress.com/news/transpor ... 4762b.html

N717TW

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:54 pm

UA grabbed an open slot to serve BOS-LON, a route that is very popular (not NYC-LON popular but was running 9X daily over five airlines with a 380 in that mix in 2019) and is especially important to the finance and tech sector. What does that also have in common? BOS-SFO!

So if I'm working @ UA sales and am looking to lock in some VC high flyers who are dropping several Gs going to SF and back, why not grab them when they head the other way to London too? Alternatively, if I want to make sure some corporate contracts renew its sure easier to toss in an LHR option.

If I'm at UA network planning and am looking to see how to best use my 767 fleet...and I have a choice of EWR/IAD-2nd tier EU or a 3,000 mile route with established business sales where I can tap into my corporate agreements...I'm going with BOS-LHR as the way to make the most (or at least, minimize my losses).

Nicknuzzii

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Does anyone actually anticipate this route lasting a long while? I could easily see this slot being moved down to EWR once it is needed for EWR #7 (or #8?).

RyanairGuru

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Does anyone actually anticipate this route lasting a long while? I could easily see this slot being moved down to EWR once it is needed for EWR #7 (or #8?).

If it is a remedy slot (we have people saying for sure that it is and isn’t in this thread) then they have to operate the route for 6 consecutive seasons (i.e. 3 years), otherwise the slot reverts to BA.

Goodness alone knows what the market will be like in 3 years time. If the route is holding its own by that point then IMHO it will last until the next downturn (which, assuming it’s a ‘normal’ recession, generally sees the airlines revert to their fortresses). If the route is a dud in 3 years then EWR #7 (or ORD #4) seems likely.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

If it is a remedy slot (we have people saying for sure that it is and isn’t in this thread) then they have to operate the route for 6 consecutive seasons (i.e. 3 years), otherwise the slot reverts to BA.

Goodness alone knows what the market will be like in 3 years time. If the route is holding its own by that point then IMHO it will last until the next downturn (which, assuming it’s a ‘normal’ recession, generally sees the airlines revert to their fortresses). If the route is a dud in 3 years then EWR #7 (or ORD #4) seems likely.

I hear you and don't necessarily disagree. But the reality is that EWR number 6 likely performs a lot worse than EWR number 1, so perhaps that bar is not as high as some might assume. Or do they rejigger times so that the added slot can be used for another hub?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Rajahdhani

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Does UA have crews based at either LHR, or BOS, to preform these flights?

Or, (and if so, kudos on the short flight times, and superior timing of the flight) - is it being operated from another base/hub? (a la EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR)?

VS11

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Good for United. It is about time. Not sure why this move is so controversial. With Norwegian out of the picture, BA probably flying only two frequencies, there is room for another legacy flight. Vaccinations are picking up on both sides of the Atlantic. Jet A prices are still low, even if rebounding. I am assuming the 767’s are largely paid off. Presumably, lots of people have moved to New England countryside too. All in all, good chance of success. The fundamentals look right to me.

jetblastdubai

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:45 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

It's possible that if BOS-LHR is a dud, then the chances of EWR #7 or ORD #4 probably won't be shining stars either. Instead of loading up the hubs why not look at some open territory to United. Florida, or beach markets, seems to weather (no pun intended) events better than most. Any thoughts on a South Florida or Central Florida (FLL/MCO) to LHR route have any potential if traditional business markets don't rebound to acceptable levels? No one needs feed in these markets since they're mostly destinations on their own.
It sounds like thunder but the way this year is going, it could be Godzilla!

United1

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:

Or, (and if so, kudos on the short flight times, and superior timing of the flight) - is it being operated from another base/hub? (a la EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR)?

UA has F/A bases at LHR and BOS so they have some options with F/A crewing (ie LHR-BOS-LHR, EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR ect.). UA doesn't have pilot bases in either city though so pilots will probably end up being EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR ect. Although they could also deadhead folks up from EWR/IAD.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 pm

United1 wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:

UA has F/A bases at LHR and BOS so they have some options with F/A crewing (ie LHR-BOS-LHR, EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR ect.). UA doesn't have pilot bases in either city though so pilots will probably end up being EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR ect. Although they could also deadhead folks up from EWR/IAD.

I expect it'll be a W pattern rather than deadheading. There's a subset of pilots to whom a 6-day trip that is nearly half a month's flying appeals. It doesn't work for everyone, of course, but a diversity of trips on a given type out of a given base is usually a plus for pilots because they can better match their trips to their needs.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

kiowa

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:25 pm

United1 wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:

Is there still a F/A base in LHR for United? I thought they closed most of the foreign bases a while ago.

United1

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 am

kiowa wrote:
United1 wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:

Is there still a F/A base in LHR for United? I thought they closed most of the foreign bases a while ago.

LHR is still open....UA closed HKG, NRT and FRA.

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
Instead of loading up the hubs why not look at some open territory to United. Florida, or beach markets, seems to weather (no pun intended) events better than most. Any thoughts on a South Florida or Central Florida (FLL/MCO) to LHR route have any potential if traditional business markets don't rebound to acceptable levels? No one needs feed in these markets since they're mostly destinations on their own.

U.S. carriers generally don't think that way (point-to-point), certainly not with regards to international. DL's TATL from from secondary markets IND, PIT, RDU... were to CDG.

But, BOS-LHR is a big market that ought to find some J ticket buyers even with depressed business travel, and UA's has lots of widebodies. Like somebody said, this is probably better than a 6th EWR (or trying to compete with 321s/739s to CUN).

codc10

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:13 am

catiii wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
jayunited wrote:

The 50% rule applies to the total number of slots UA currently has at LHR not simply based on EWR. United does not need 6x daily EWR-LHR so it is a no brainier for them to move a slot from EWR to BOS.

Pre-pandemic UA operated 18 flights into LHR. I think we may have picked up an additional slot late last year which would put us at 19 total flights. To meet the 50% rule UA would either need to operate 9 or 10 flights to hit or exceed the 50% rule to keep from loosing our remaining LHR slots that we will not need this summer.

All airlines operating into LHR this summer must use 50% of their total slots or loose their unused slots. For an airline like UA loosing at least 9 slots at LHR would be devastating.

Why do they have that 50% rule, especially now with the new mutation?

They’re not moving an EWR slot pair. These are remedy slots per the CMA’S May 2020 order on the AA/BA JV.

I wasn't aware that UA applied for the remedy slots... thought it was only Delta and JetBlue in on it? Any announcement of that allocation?

Gregd75

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:22 am

Would it be possible that UA is blocking B6 from applying for the remedy slots?

Unhappy with B6 deciding to fly EWR -LHR, could they be making this move so B6 would either start operations into London from a less desirable airport (LGW, STN... considering mint product means they’re going after business) or would they fly one route into one London airport and another route to a different one? Reducing economies of scale and forcing B6’s hand?

calpsafltskeds

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:38 am

772A fleet grounded for inspections. Currently only 13 of 19 were in service or short term parked.
UA has about 10 772ERs short term parked daily and usually a handful of 788s short term parked daily.
Right now N214UA is showing operating tomorrow from HNL - maybe inspections are quick or maybe it hasn't been cancelled yet.

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
772A fleet grounded for inspections. Currently only 13 of 19 were in service or short term parked.
UA has about 10 772ERs short term parked daily and usually a handful of 788s short term parked daily.
Right now N214UA is showing operating tomorrow from HNL - maybe inspections are quick or maybe it hasn't been cancelled yet.

Are there any aircraft coming back from being parked to pick up the 772A slack?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

drerx7

Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 am

Looks like they 772s tomorrow are being covered by 773s, 789, 788, 753, and 738s.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

UAinAUS

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 am

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N12135 (ex-EV) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir
N14158 (ex-EV) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir

CR2:
N487CA (ex-DL, 2002 build) entered UAX service with SkyWest in EvoBlu livery

Wingtips56

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 am

TWA772LR wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

My non-expert thought is the new inspections could be completed before the parked airplanes could be brought out of mothballs.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

cosyr

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

My non-expert thought is the new inspections could be completed before the parked airplanes could be brought out of mothballs.

I was wondering that. I assume the 764's would take some time to get back in the air. I was told by a CO pilot years ago that the 764's shared pilot certification with their 772's, while the 762's shared commonality with the 752's? Is that true, or is the 764 like the early 737NG, where you could configure the cockpit back to emulate to the 737 Classics, when a non-upgraded crew was operating?

airzim

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm

cosyr wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I was wondering that. I assume the 764's would take some time to get back in the air. I was told by a CO pilot years ago that the 764's shared pilot certification with their 772's, while the 762's shared commonality with the 752's? Is that true, or is the 764 like the early 737NG, where you could configure the cockpit back to emulate to the 737 Classics, when a non-upgraded crew was operating?

At CO, the 757s, 767-200, and 767-400s were all capable of being flown interchangeably by the same pilots. However I believe there were fences based on pay rates (I could be mistaken).

The 777s were a separate pilot group

peterinlisbon

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:54 pm

N757ST wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
It kind of makes sense, since it's the shortest route between London and the USA. Boston can offer a lot of onward connections without the hassle of changing terminals, crowds and long delays found at some of the bigger airports.

Have you been to Boston? Connecting from E (which pre Covid was buckling at the seams) to B isn’t exactly quick and easy, and with the high C Gates getting rebuilt I’m not sure the connection exists landslide unless you take a bus or walk through the parking garages.

I've been there but only as a departing passenger. I guess my assumption about convenience for connections is wrong, then, unless they make some improvements. For me the worst part about arriving in the US and connecting is the immigration queue. You can easily miss a connection if you don´t allow enough time.

RyanairGuru

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 pm

cosyr wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

757 and 767 (all variants) are one pilot group at United, but pilots get paid equivalent rates to the 777 and 787 when flying the 764.

At Delta the 764 is a completely separate pilot group to the 757 and 763. The way United does it certainly seems more efficient for the airline. United have a more flexible pilot pool, and pay vacation, reserve etc at the lower 756 rate.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

CALMSP

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 pm

cosyr wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

the 756 fleet covered all 757's and 767's. Which was great b/c if you were traveling to/from EWR-Europe that had a 757 scheduled, sometimes you'd show up to the airport in Europe to head home and find a 767!!

acavpics

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 pm

So I just saw that Boris Johnson is banning foreign travel until May 17th. Does this mean that people from other countries like the USA cannot take trips to London? Or just that UK residents cannot vacation abroad?

If it bans foreign folks from taking trips to the UK, then it wouldn't make sense to start this flight during the early summer, since the flight would be empty both ways.

chonetsao

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:06 pm

acavpics wrote:
So I just saw that Boris Johnson is banning foreign travel until May 17th. Does this mean that people from other countries like the USA cannot take trips to London? Or just that UK residents cannot vacation abroad?

If it bans foreign folks from taking trips to the UK, then it wouldn't make sense to start this flight during the early summer, since the flight would be empty both ways.

My understanding is that Boris only bans international LEISURE travel from UK. People holding British passports who has a valid reason to leave UK temporarily are still allowed except now they need to fill a form to prove they are not travelling for holiday.

And people travelling from other countries are still ALLOWED to enter UK with exceptions (Red list country needs quarantine and travel for holidays not encouraged).

bfitzflyer

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Going to be interesting to see who blinks first here. DL, VS, BA, B6, UA, AA.?

chonetsao

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:

I think it is safe for you to take out BA, VS and DL.

CALMSP

Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:14 pm

acavpics wrote:

I'd say an early summer start wasn't even being considered by UA as a start date, but rather towards fall. UA can't even put 50 people on EWR-LHR right now.

Okcflyer

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 pm

cosyr wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

752, 753, 763, 764 are all same type rating (differences between then covered by the United approved training).

764 has a higher pilot pay rate than 763.

764 as is 763, 752, 753 are mechanical flight control system (i.e. not FBW). While cable controls, the cockpit was modern upon introduction (has EICAS for example). Further, I believe all aircraft flying today use FADEC for the engines rather than mechanical controls.

Whereas, the 777 is full FBW. From a training perspective, you need to cover Normal Mode, Secondary Mode (similar to alternate law in the 'Bus). These different control modes don't exist on the 767.

However, while the 764 type doesn't align with 777 type training, it did borrow some components from the 777: the main landing gear is an adopted version of the model used on the 777 (and different from the other 767's), it's cockpit was updated with 777 displays and modernized a bit.

United857

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

752, 753, 763, 764 are all same type rating (differences between then covered by the United approved training).

764 has a higher pilot pay rate than 763.

764 as is 763, 752, 753 are mechanical flight control system (i.e. not FBW). While cable controls, the cockpit was modern upon introduction (has EICAS for example). Further, I believe all aircraft flying today use FADEC for the engines rather than mechanical controls.

Whereas, the 777 is full FBW. From a training perspective, you need to cover Normal Mode, Secondary Mode (similar to alternate law in the 'Bus). These different control modes don't exist on the 767.

However, while the 764 type doesn't align with 777 type training, it did borrow some components from the 777: the main landing gear is an adopted version of the model used on the 777 (and different from the other 767's), it's cockpit was updated with 777 displays and modernized a bit.

Also just wanted to point out that while on the surface the 764 cockpit seems very similar to the 777 cockpit due to the 6 LCD displays, the screens are actually the only aspect that is similar between the 764/777. The MCP panel/center pedestal/overhead panel are all still identical with the other 757/767s.
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 E145 E75S E75L E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU JL KA LH LX MU NH NK TK UA US

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Okcflyer wrote:

Going further with the cockpit, the difference is enough to warrant 2 more simulator sessions for 756 training in a dedicated 764 simulator. And even 1 of the recurrent training days (of a normal 2 day training) requires one day in the 764.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 pm

I note today that all 772PW aircraft are not flying. The GE fleet has 6 flying and 5 short term parked.
Versus yesterday the 787s flying is the same and 1 more 77Ws is flying today vs. yesterday.
763s have 3 more short term parked today vs. yesterday
Yesterday there were 20 772 units flying, today only 6 (all GE).
So, WB flying is down 16 units today vs. yesterday, but there are usual variations by day of week.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 pm

Anyone know how the high-J 767 rotates on the IAH-HNL? I’m scheduled to fly on the route in Mar 24 and can’t find any rhythm to when the high-J aircraft flies the route. Additionally, I’m seated in economy plus row 19, what happens if they aircraft does get swapped?

airplanedriver6

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Additionally, I’m seated in economy plus row 19, what happens if they aircraft does get swapped?

The computer will automatically re-map the cabin and you will remain in an E+ seat but perhaps not the same seat number. Obviously the Hi-J config presents more upgrade opportunities for those that are eligible.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 am

bfitzflyer wrote:

UA and AA IMHO. B6 has less to lose, really. It will be an A321, smaller plane, less capacity risk, has a big presence in BOS, and more than likely, LGW and not really all that relevant or much of a competitive threat. I suspect UA will be the first to blink, followed by AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos