Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

codc10

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:13 am

sldispatcher wrote:
codc10 wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:
Is there any indication that the CRJ550 program is going to continue expanding? It is bound to be very customer positive. Have had 2 legs on the bird and it gets two big thumbs up.

There is an agreement in place for GoJet to operate 74 CR5, and at year-end there were only 38 converted and available for service. As far as I know, all 74 will eventually be converted, but UAL will not grow the program beyond that. Initially, the favorable customer response led to some optimism about bringing another operator into the fold, and expanding the concept to the West Coast, but post-pandemic United is now looking to get out of the 50-seater market over time. In the interim, the CRJs (Air Whisky/Skywest) and ERJs (CommutAir) are cheaper and more flexible to reintroduce, but this is not a permanent solution.

I think the scope clause may have the final say on how many CRJ550s wind up flying around.

While this is true in a literal sense, the CRJ-550s are 50-seaters, and fall within the gross weight category of the CR2/ERJ under the terms of the United Pilot Agreement. As presently composed, that puts a cap on 50-seat RJs at 90% of the number of mainline aircraft in the fleet, and we are nowhere near that.

EssentialBusDC

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:20 am

CALTECH wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:
I flew ORD-SAN today and I wasn't happy with how the trip started. We boarded and it was clear the B739ER was packed to the gills. I noticed immediately that the air wasn't blasting as it typically does during the boarding process. The crew was late, so once they were on board they started the long-expected blast of air. Why would you pack 180+ people and leave them to sit for over 25 minutes? If the crew was late, we could have waited at the gate. Or am I fatally wrong? I mean it's COVID-19 times. I really don't get it.

Have heard that the pilots are not required to show up until 15 minutes before departure in their contract. Hearing that out of Operations, don't know if that's true. There are dead heading crews that are late inbd every now and then, even at MCO.
The Flight Attendants or Gate Agent should have called Ops for ground air, or get the APU going, especially in ORD. Plenty of Ramp and Mechanics to get the AC going in Chicago. Sounds like communication was a problem, or the plane heated up quickly with 180 or so steaming breathing humans onboard and caught them off guard. In MCO, constantly going out to aircraft to turn on the APUs because the Jetway AC is not cooling the airplane down enough. Usually get the APU fired up about 10 minutes before boarding time. MCO doesn't have the best AC units on the jetways, they cycle cool for 20 or so minutes, then cycle warm for 10 minutes to unfreeze the unit, which blows hot air into the aircraft.
Sorry you had to go through that. Happened to me a couple of times over the years, brutal sitting and sweating in a hot airplane. The airplanes are stiffling and dangerously hot when they are sitting out on the West Ramp and need driving over to the Terminal. Fire up the APU and get the air blasting is of utmost concern. Not just the humans, but the electronics do not like hot airplanes. Sounds like that flight of yours was one of those that all the elements came together to make a plane full of passengers sweaty and uncomfortable.

The only contractual requirement for the pilots is to show either 60 mins (first trip of the pairing ) or 45 minutes (any subsequent day of the trip) prior to departure, at Ops or somewhere else agreed upon to flight plan. This is for domestic flying. For long haul international it is 90 minutes for every flight.

And all the company policy manual states is that pilots should arrive at the aircraft in sufficient time to accomplish preflight checks and 15 minutes prior to departure should be in their seats. Pilots do not just show up 15 minutes prior to push because they feel like it. A delay elsewhere (hotel transportation, connecting flight, layover legalities etc) would be the cause.

If a flight was boarded prior to the pilots being there and the ground air isn’t sufficient, then it is the responsibility of the flight attendants to notify station ops to get someone to run the APU.

jayunited

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:26 am

Golfmikey wrote:
Wouldn’t it make sense to activate the CO 777s first? And side note i am shocked they haven’t sent the last CO 777 to Polaris mod yet knowing that this was a possible outcome

First you have to keep in mind prior to the PW 777 grounding none of the GE 77Es were being used for any passenger flights. The 9 GE 77E frames that were active were being used exclusively for cargo only flights so there was no reason for UA send the last remaining frame to HKG for Polaris/PE modification. When United made the decision to resume Polaris/PE a decision was made prioritize the 788s first followed by the 789s. This was and still is the right decision because nearly 100% of these frames are in use on both passenger service flights and cargo only flights.

Having said that, nearly two weeks ago 3 GE powered 77Es were flown out of ROW. Of those 3 frames 2 frames are at XMN and 1 is at HKG for maintenance. Polaris/PE modifications takes a few months to complete, however by sending Polaris/PE equip GE77Es first for maintenance UA could have 21 out of 22 GE 77Es back in service then send the last remaining GE 77E for modification.
Last edited by jayunited on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acey559

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:34 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

United is in a different structural position.

Let United focus on their strengths, of which they have many, and make their current network as robust as it can possibly be.

Totally agree. When people mention a United SE hub about the only thing I see it adding to UA's network is "intra-southeast" connections and that would be a monumental mountain to climb with ATL and CLT already being solidly entrenched. UA is better off sticking with what they already have and building on it.

Looking at connection options between the NE/New England and the SE/Florida, Dulles is equally as capable for efficient connections as CLT for almost any market east of PIT. In the link below I selected secondary cities that probably don't have non-stop options to illustrate the comparison. There will be exceptions of course.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bgr-clt-fl ... y,+orf-iad

I would also build on IAD as the preferred north-south connection airport over EWR because anything in the congested NYC area is a terrible choice for a domestic connecting hub when there is a less-congested option. IAD also has a fairly decent collection of Int'l destinations which makes it beneficial for many US domestic markets. The available airspace and runway capacity plus the potential for plenty of additional terminal/gate space makes IAD a potential gold mine. IMO

That was mentioned pre-COVID. I can’t remember where (could have been an earnings live town hall or something similar), but the plan was to hugely develop IAD because, for one reason, there’s tons of room to grow there. I’m not sure what we will see going forward, but if that plan is still viable, I would imagine we will get back to it when the financial situation allows.

codc10

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:38 am

jayunited wrote:
Golfmikey wrote:
Wouldn’t it make sense to activate the CO 777s first? And side note i am shocked they haven’t sent the last CO 777 to Polaris mod yet knowing that this was a possible outcome

First you have to keep in mind prior to the PW 777 grounding none of the GE 77Es were being used for any passenger flights. The 9 GE 77E frames that were active were being used exclusively for cargo only flights so there was no reason for UA send the last remaining frame to HKG for Polaris/PE modification. When United made the decision to resume Polaris/PE a decision was made prioritize the 788s first followed by the 789s. This was and still is the right decision because nearly 100% of these frames are in use on both passenger service flights and cargo only flights.

Having said that, nearly two weeks ago 3 GE powered 77Es were flown out of ROW. Of those 3 frames 2 frames are at XMN and 1 is at HKG for maintenance. Polaris/PE modifications takes a few months to complete, however by sending Polaris/PE equip GE77Es first for maintenance UA could have 21 out of 22 GE 77Es back in service then send the last remaining GE 77E for modification.

At the beginning of COVID, N77014 (the last remaining non-Polaris GE 777) was rumored to be coming up on a lease renewal and a possible return. That was also cited as a reason why it hadn't yet gone in for mod. Any truth to that rumor or word on it?

intotheair

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:53 am

Acey559 wrote:
That was mentioned pre-COVID. I can’t remember where (could have been an earnings live town hall or something similar), but the plan was to hugely develop IAD because, for one reason, there’s tons of room to grow there. I’m not sure what we will see going forward, but if that plan is still viable, I would imagine we will get back to it when the financial situation allows.

You are correct. It was even beginning to happen as UA shifted a bunch of east coast regional markets from EWR to IAD and started flowing more connections there with more banks. It seemed to have been doing well. IAD certainly still has its drawbacks (DCA, dumpy facilities), but it also has a lot going for it, and the airport has seemingly been able to keep costs down.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

FlyHossD

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 am

CALTECH wrote:
Have heard that the pilots are not required to show up until 15 minutes before departure in their contract.

I asked my sources about this and they all said that there's still no hard time to be at the aircraft. Rather, the pilots are required to be there in time to allow an on-time departure. Of course, this assumes no delay due to crew rest, etc.

In my case, I generally tried to be in the cockpit not less than 45 minutes prior to departure. But there were exceptions - the most memorable was while boarding a flight in EWR to deadhead home, the Crew Desk called and asked if I could fly a trip to SFO. I asked when it was scheduled to leave and the scheduler said, "Ten minutes ago."

I remember another occasion, just post merger announcement, when a CSA (in DEN?) was jotting down the time we arrived at the gate. I pointed out to her that we didn't have a required time to be at the gate. She replied that she was just doing what her boss had asked the agents to do.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

jetmatt777

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 am

Just because it isn’t a contractual or procedural standard doesn’t mean they can’t be attributed for the delay (which would not personally be held against the pilot). If for example a departure took a 3 minute delay, but everyone was done except the pilots flight ops would take the delay, and there’s a code for checklists. So it’s not a context violation, but they do track such things as when crew boards, when bag loading begins and ends, etc everything is tracked and there has to be a delay code inputted. There’s nothing in the ramp contract specifying when we are to begin loading, but if we take a delay and see we loaded late we will take the hit. But it’s not a contractual violation, if there’s a pattern it needs to be identified.

Everything is tracked now, every service transaction has a time stamp including potable water, lavs, crew boarding, etc.

rjbesikof

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:12 am

UA came out w/ their widebody schedule for April
-EWR-HNL goes from 1x weekly to 3x weekly
-2x weekly LAX-NRT pax flights resume on a 789 (on UA metal)
-IAD-LHR goes to a daily 767 (down from a subdaily 788)
-EWR-ZRH (on UA metal) resumes 3x weekly on a 789
-LAX/SFO-JFK continue as 5x weekly 767s (will commence either this week or next week).
https://www.unitedcargo.com/ShowFiles?f ... debody.pdf

Golfmikey

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am

Lots of new point to point routes...I’m surprised with this announcement they didn’t load the rest of the domestic may schedule... I would guess a lot of upgauges on other flights since there is a limited number of the fancy 50 seaters.

https://hub.united.com/2021-03-25-unite ... 05573.html

jayunited

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:32 pm

Golfmikey wrote:
Lots of new point to point routes...I’m surprised with this announcement they didn’t load the rest of the domestic may schedule... I would guess a lot of upgauges on other flights since there is a limited number of the fancy 50 seaters.

I'm surprised to see more point to point routes but will take it and the CRJ550 is a really comfortable aircraft much more comfortable than a standard CRJ700.

But what put a smile on my face with this announcement is starting May and then June UA will begin selling premium plus on select flights to Hawaii from ORD, DEN, IAH, and EWR. I'm a bit surprised SFO isn't on this list as well I'm guessing UA is testing the waters to see if there is demand. Inn my opinion this is good move because if UA has to continue using GE 77Es and 763s equipped with premium economy why not sell it as such and then offer passengers in premium economy an upgraded onboard experience as well. If the PW 777 are off the schedule of a while and customers respond positively to premium economy by hopefully we will see this roll out to all widebody flights to Hawaii where premium economy is installed.

Also there is a slew of international flights resuming in May and June including the resumption of ORD-HND/AMS/MUC/TLV and UA is increase frequency on LAX-SYD (cargo has a lot to do with the increase on SYD) and resuming LAX-NRT.

UA still has not published our full domestic May schedule yet, I'm guessing it will drop any day now.

FlyPNS1

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Golfmikey wrote:

Interesting how UA kind of danced around NK on the routes out of PNS...they added PIT/CLE/MKE/CVG which aren't flown by anyone to PNS. However, NK recently added CMH/IND/SDF. It is curious to me that UA will fly routes like PIT-PNS or MKE-PNS, but not EWR-PNS.

It's odd to use CRJ-550's on these routes as they are leisure routes and the CRJ-550 was really designed with business passengers in mind. I think UA has a lot of RJ's that need somewhere to go given business traffic will still be very weak this summer.

I guess they'll be selling the F really cheap, otherwise some lucky folks are going to get free bumps to F when Y oversells.

Anyone have a list of the 20 domestic routes that are new or added back?

CALTECH

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:06 pm

CALMSP wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:
I flew ORD-SAN today and I wasn't happy with how the trip started. We boarded and it was clear the B739ER was packed to the gills. I noticed immediately that the air wasn't blasting as it typically does during the boarding process. The crew was late, so once they were on board they started the long-expected blast of air. Why would you pack 180+ people and leave them to sit for over 25 minutes? If the crew was late, we could have waited at the gate. Or am I fatally wrong? I mean it's COVID-19 times. I really don't get it.

Have heard that the pilots are not required to show up until 15 minutes before departure in their contract. Hearing that out of Operations, don't know if that's true. There are dead heading crews that are late inbd every now and then, even at MCO.

I can't imagine that would be accurate, given the walk around and everything else, there wouldn't be enough time. We know its not the same as FA's.

Some of the United pilots here have the answer.
You are here.

CALTECH

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:23 pm

EssentialBusDC wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:

The Flight Attendants or Gate Agent should have called Ops for ground air, or get the APU going, especially in ORD. Plenty of Ramp and Mechanics to get the AC going in Chicago. Sounds like communication was a problem, or the plane heated up quickly with 180 or so steaming breathing humans onboard and caught them off guard. In MCO, constantly going out to aircraft to turn on the APUs because the Jetway AC is not cooling the airplane down enough. Usually get the APU fired up about 10 minutes before boarding time. MCO doesn't have the best AC units on the jetways, they cycle cool for 20 or so minutes, then cycle warm for 10 minutes to unfreeze the unit, which blows hot air into the aircraft.
Sorry you had to go through that. Happened to me a couple of times over the years, brutal sitting and sweating in a hot airplane. The airplanes are stiffling and dangerously hot when they are sitting out on the West Ramp and need driving over to the Terminal. Fire up the APU and get the air blasting is of utmost concern. Not just the humans, but the electronics do not like hot airplanes. Sounds like that flight of yours was one of those that all the elements came together to make a plane full of passengers sweaty and uncomfortable.

The only contractual requirement for the pilots is to show either 60 mins (first trip of the pairing ) or 45 minutes (any subsequent day of the trip) prior to departure, at Ops or somewhere else agreed upon to flight plan. This is for domestic flying. For long haul international it is 90 minutes for every flight.

And all the company policy manual states is that pilots should arrive at the aircraft in sufficient time to accomplish preflight checks and 15 minutes prior to departure should be in their seats. Pilots do not just show up 15 minutes prior to push because they feel like it. A delay elsewhere (hotel transportation, connecting flight, layover legalities etc) would be the cause.

If a flight was boarded prior to the pilots being there and the ground air isn’t sufficient, then it is the responsibility of the flight attendants to notify station ops to get someone to run the APU.

That sounds about right about being in their seats, thanks for clarifying that, I didn't make that clear about showing up at the aircraft. Also we hear there is a clause that the Flight Crew needs or is allowed 5 minutes to review their MRD. That has bitten Tech Ops before, getting done before departure time. Ops was telling the truth. Believe Operations Personnel complain about this because if the Flight Crew find something amiss when they arrive at the aircraft, almost certainly a delay. Ops blames that 15 minute arrival at the aircraft most of the time for Late Calls. The Techs in MCO get out quickly to the aircraft on call outs. Most of the Pilots and F/As seemed surprised at how quick MX shows up at the aircraft in MCO. The philosophy is, the plane will leave when it's fixed, care about but will not worry about the delay. It's broke, it's broke. The aircraft will depart when it's addressed properly and safely.
You are here.

CALTECH

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm

CALMSP wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:

I can't imagine that would be accurate, given the walk around and everything else, there wouldn't be enough time. We know its not the same as FA's.

Sounds like it is true, 15 minutes before departure the Flight Crew should be in their seats as posted by EssentialBusDC.
The F/As show up usually before boarding time and they do their safety checks. Seen F/As onboard but no Flight Crew quite a bit during boarding.
You are here.

adamblang

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm

If I skimmed this correctly, this is what's new:

Newark-Maui: The “high J” Boeing 767-300 starting June 3.
Chicago-Honolulu: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners starting May 6.
Chicago-Maui: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners starting May 6.
Chicago-Kona: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners starting June 3.
Washington Dulles-Honolulu: Boeing 777-200ER starting June 3.
Denver-Honolulu: Boeing 777-200ER starting May 6.
Denver-Maui: Boeing 777-200ER starting May 6.

Chicago

Amsterdam (AMS)
Munich (MUC)
Tel Aviv (TLV)
Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Nantucket, MA (ACK)

Washington Dulles

Bozeman, MT (BZN)

Newark

Milan (MXP)
Rome (FCO)

Houston

Kalispell, MT (FCA)

Cleveland, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Hilton Head, SC 3x weekly
Myrtle Beach, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Cincinnati, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Columbus, OH

Charleston, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Hilton Head, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Milwaukee, WI

Charleston, SC 2x weekly
Myrtle Beach, SC 2x weekly
Pensacola, FL 2x weekly
Portland, ME 2x weekly
Savannah, GA 2x weekly

St. Louis, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Acey559

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:41 pm

CALTECH wrote:
EssentialBusDC wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

That sounds about right about being in their seats, thanks for clarifying that, I didn't make that clear about showing up at the aircraft. Also we hear there is a clause that the Flight Crew needs or is allowed 5 minutes to review their MRD. That has bitten Tech Ops before, getting done before departure time. Ops was telling the truth. Believe Operations Personnel complain about this because if the Flight Crew find something amiss when they arrive at the aircraft, almost certainly a delay. Ops blames that 15 minute arrival at the aircraft most of the time for Late Calls. The Techs in MCO get out quickly to the aircraft on call outs. Most of the Pilots and F/As seemed surprised at how quick MX shows up at the aircraft in MCO. The philosophy is, the plane will leave when it's fixed, care about but will not worry about the delay. It's broke, it's broke. The aircraft will depart when it's addressed properly and safely.

We can see the MRD on our EFB now before we get to the plane. It doesn’t absolve us from actually looking at the real MRD once we get there, but seeing the eMRD and log history beforehand helps a lot to have an idea of what we’re up against. I love the feature and am happy with the changes they’ve made to Pilot Mobile recently.

CALTECH

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:07 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Just because it isn’t a contractual or procedural standard doesn’t mean they can’t be attributed for the delay (which would not personally be held against the pilot). If for example a departure took a 3 minute delay, but everyone was done except the pilots flight ops would take the delay, and there’s a code for checklists. So it’s not a context violation, but they do track such things as when crew boards, when bag loading begins and ends, etc everything is tracked and there has to be a delay code inputted. There’s nothing in the ramp contract specifying when we are to begin loading, but if we take a delay and see we loaded late we will take the hit. But it’s not a contractual violation, if there’s a pattern it needs to be identified.

Everything is tracked now, every service transaction has a time stamp including potable water, lavs, crew boarding, etc.

"ramp contract specifying when we are to begin loading, but if we take a delay and see we loaded late we will take the hit."

Like Northwest Airlines of old, when the DOT and FAA didn't count MX delays towards ontime stats for safety reasons , Northwest would call every delay a MX delay.Therefore a northern airline like Northwest had the best ontime record till they started counting MX delays again.
Same with Southwest before ACARS.
Have seen the ramp still loading and a last minute call comes out for MX to check out a dent or scratch that the Ramp found amazingly just before departure, so that the delay will be a MX delay.Tricks of the trade.
To be fair, if the Gate Agents are running behind, usually hear that MX was onboard delaying boarding, from the Gate Agents. It's rare when MX holds up boarding, but it does happen.
It is amusing to hear the battles over who owns the delay.
You are here.

STT757

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:10 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
United doesn’t need anymore hubs. Just need to fully develop the ones they have.
Who wants to fight over bottom feeder fares up and down the East Coast?

Agree 100%, they need to order a new 100 seat mainline, A220 or ERJ-195E2 to unlock the full potential of their 76 seat ERJ-175 fleet. 100 new ERJ-195E2s and 70 additional 76 seat ERJ-175s goes a long way for them to realize their hubs potential. Once they get their existing hubs where they want them, they can look at point to point or focus cities. I wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket, focus cities could just be places where they try to pick off premium and business traffic away at airports dominated by NK, F9, WN who lack amenities like First Class, clubs and places like Tahiti and Europe where frequent flyers could cash in mileage.

Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Nashville, Raleigh, Las Vegas, Orlando, Tampa.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

CALTECH

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:13 pm

Acey559 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
EssentialBusDC wrote:

We can see the MRD on our EFB now before we get to the plane. It doesn’t absolve us from actually looking at the real MRD once we get there, but seeing the eMRD and log history beforehand helps a lot to have an idea of what we’re up against. I love the feature and am happy with the changes they’ve made to Pilot Mobile recently.

Used to be a defender of the physical logbook but now like the ELB. Except when it shows red wrenches on our MX displays.
F/As, Ramp and Gate Agents always ask what did you break now. They are told, TechOps didn't break the plane, you guys did. TechOps wasn't onboard or playing with it when it broke. TechOps shows up to defer or fix it.
Last edited by CALTECH on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are here.

sldispatcher

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:14 pm

codc10 wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:
codc10 wrote:

There is an agreement in place for GoJet to operate 74 CR5, and at year-end there were only 38 converted and available for service. As far as I know, all 74 will eventually be converted, but UAL will not grow the program beyond that. Initially, the favorable customer response led to some optimism about bringing another operator into the fold, and expanding the concept to the West Coast, but post-pandemic United is now looking to get out of the 50-seater market over time. In the interim, the CRJs (Air Whisky/Skywest) and ERJs (CommutAir) are cheaper and more flexible to reintroduce, but this is not a permanent solution.

I think the scope clause may have the final say on how many CRJ550s wind up flying around.

While this is true in a literal sense, the CRJ-550s are 50-seaters, and fall within the gross weight category of the CR2/ERJ under the terms of the United Pilot Agreement. As presently composed, that puts a cap on 50-seat RJs at 90% of the number of mainline aircraft in the fleet, and we are nowhere near that.

With the various markets and sizes out there coupled with how long in the tooth those CRJ2 and E145’s are getting...50 seat style lift is going to be around in one form or another or some market changes will have to take place.

EssentialBusDC

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 pm

CALTECH wrote:
EssentialBusDC wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

No clause that I know of that specifies 5 minutes to review the MRD. However long it takes to make sure we follow or understand what’s on the MRD is however long it takes. That’s part of the professional and regulatory obligations of the flight crew. (And dispatchers and Mechanics as well since they all sign it off as well) A clean MRD takes much less time then if there are multiple issues or a complex one. And sometimes that reality conflicts with the company’s desire for an on time.

For example having to lock out the outer tank fuel transfer valves on the Bus. Can’t do the procedure on the MRD until:

1. The MRD has been received (and thus understand what CB’s need pulling and resetting and in what order, and how long each CB needs to be open)
2. the fueler is done and has closed the refueling access door.

I understand the late call issue, certainly not intentional on my part. When an issue arises, is when we write it up. I’m not a fan of the “write it up only at the maintenance stations” or “leave it for the next crew to deal with” mindset.

With the advent of ELB’s it’s changed the process vs the old days where you would go find the gate mechanic and ask him to take a look without writing things up. Now everything gets logged, however “minor” it might be.

A professional shout out to all the United mechanics. Thank you for keeping the planes in working order. I can recall only twice in 23+ years of flying where I wanted a different mechanic addressing the issue or at least additional help. The first was an outflow issue where the gate mechanic hadn’t been a gate mechanic in years (came from being a hangar guy) and the other was, through no fault of theirs, but it was obvious they had never worked on an Airbus before. Sorry Houston, it’s not a Guppy. :banghead:

EssentialBusDC

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 pm

CALTECH wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

"ramp contract specifying when we are to begin loading, but if we take a delay and see we loaded late we will take the hit."

Like Northwest Airlines of old, when the DOT and FAA didn't count MX delays towards ontime stats for safety reasons , Northwest would call every delay a MX delay.Therefore a northern airline like Northwest had the best ontime record till they started counting MX delays again.
Have seen the ramp still loading and a last minute call comes out for MX to check out a dent or scratch that the Ramp found amazingly just before departure, so that the delay will be a MX delay.Tricks of the trade.
To be fair, if the Gate Agents are running behind, usually hear that MX was onboard delaying boarding, from the Gate Agents. It's rare when MX holds up boarding, but it does happen.

It used to be the pilot group didn’t care about being blamed for delays, even if it wasn’t our fault. However when management used delay stats against us in court (even when they had no way to validate said stats at the time) it changed. Then we eventually got the ACARS delay codes process that is used today. No longer are we the go to, to blame for a delay, that other departments used to put on us, to mask their own issues.

jetmatt777

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:43 pm

CALTECH wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Yep. That is why everything is electronically documented now. It is very easy to find the root cause of a delay now. The only times the data can be misleading is for example when a late bag shows up during an existing delay, or the pilots take advantage of an existing delay to order more fuel etc. I have been waiting on a lav service when a last minute bag showed up, of course I am going to load it. But they coded it as a ramp bag loading delay as they looked for the most obvious reason: Last bag scanned after departure time. A quick call to the zone supervisor to have them look at the lav service complete time moved the delay to lavs, because had it not been for the wait for lav service we would have already left before the bag showed up. It’s nice to have an electronic record of exactly how things went now instead of their word vs mine when attributing delays.

Scarebus34

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 pm

adamblang wrote:

Chicago

Amsterdam (AMS)
Munich (MUC)
Tel Aviv (TLV)
Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Nantucket, MA (ACK)

Washington Dulles

Bozeman, MT (BZN)

Newark

Milan (MXP)
Rome (FCO)

Houston

Kalispell, MT (FCA)

Cleveland, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Cincinnati, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Columbus, OH

Charleston, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Milwaukee, WI

Charleston, SC 2x weekly
Pensacola, FL 2x weekly
Portland, ME 2x weekly
Savannah, GA 2x weekly

St. Louis, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Not impressed. It's ALL RJ lift... still only operating 52% of it's 2019 schedule. Still being way too conservative in my opinion.

joeljack

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:16 pm

I really like these adds! I'm disappointed OMA isn't on the CHS list. I would have 100% been on one of these flights along with several others I know!

CALMSP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

Chicago

Amsterdam (AMS)
Munich (MUC)
Tel Aviv (TLV)
Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Nantucket, MA (ACK)

Washington Dulles

Bozeman, MT (BZN)

Newark

Milan (MXP)
Rome (FCO)

Houston

Kalispell, MT (FCA)

Cleveland, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Cincinnati, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Columbus, OH

Charleston, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Milwaukee, WI

Charleston, SC 2x weekly
Pensacola, FL 2x weekly
Portland, ME 2x weekly
Savannah, GA 2x weekly

St. Louis, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Not impressed. It's ALL RJ lift... still only operating 52% of it's 2019 schedule. Still being way too conservative in my opinion.

not flashy, I agree, but would have thought this would have been more driven towards starting in spring break.

Also, surprised the likes of SDF, GRR or OMA wasn't included.
Last edited by CALMSP on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjbesikof

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - 2021 (Q1)

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Has UA announced what TATL will look like for Summer 2021?

Yep. While a lot of routes will come back for May (see press release), many will not come back for S21 like ORD-ZRH, SFO-CDG.

joeljack

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:47 pm

CALMSP wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

Chicago

Amsterdam (AMS)
Munich (MUC)
Tel Aviv (TLV)
Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Nantucket, MA (ACK)

Washington Dulles

Bozeman, MT (BZN)

Newark

Milan (MXP)
Rome (FCO)

Houston

Kalispell, MT (FCA)

Cleveland, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Cincinnati, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Columbus, OH

Charleston, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Milwaukee, WI

Charleston, SC 2x weekly
Pensacola, FL 2x weekly
Portland, ME 2x weekly
Savannah, GA 2x weekly

St. Louis, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

not flashy, I agree, but would have thought this would have been more driven towards starting in spring break.

In my eyes cities like GRR or DSM would not. Allegiant I think would start it if United added the route to CHS. I would guess Allegiant adds CHS to DSM and GRR in the next 1-2 years.

OMA is one where I doubt Allegiant would go to CHS so that is why I said that.

WN just started MCI-CHS this summer too so that one is out.

SonomaFlyer

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - 2021 (Q1)

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:51 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Has UA announced what TATL will look like for Summer 2021?

Yep. While a lot of routes will come back for May (see press release), many will not come back for S21 like ORD-ZRH, SFO-CDG.

April was always viewed as a short set i.e. not a full ramp up. With bookings going way up (DL is at 2019 levels again), expect a bigger dial up for UA for May onwards.

With pent up domestic demand yet COVID issues in Europe, I'd expect UA to get creative in putting the wide bodies to work domestically and perhaps to leisure destinations such as CUN (upgauging).

adamblang

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:56 pm

CALMSP wrote:

I read these adds from midwestern Delta-dominated cities to golf destinations or summering in Maine as a play for Delta's older, monied passengers. (That could be premium leisure travel or it could be a play for return-to-business travel.)

That these are all CRJ-550s tells me "hey Delta flyers, we know you haven't flown us for a while and you had your reasons for doing that, but you'll probably bite on these nonstops rather than connecting in Atlanta, and while we've got you onboard, notice how much better we've gotten than Delta?"

AVENSAB727

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm

I wonder when IAH-NRT will return.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

sldispatcher

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

Chicago

Amsterdam (AMS)
Munich (MUC)
Tel Aviv (TLV)
Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Nantucket, MA (ACK)

Washington Dulles

Bozeman, MT (BZN)

Newark

Milan (MXP)
Rome (FCO)

Houston

Kalispell, MT (FCA)

Cleveland, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Cincinnati, OH

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

Columbus, OH

Charleston, SC 4x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Portland, ME 4x weekly

Milwaukee, WI

Charleston, SC 2x weekly
Pensacola, FL 2x weekly
Portland, ME 2x weekly
Savannah, GA 2x weekly

St. Louis, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston, SC 3x weekly
Pensacola, FL 3x weekly
Portland, ME 3x weekly

The CRJ550 is a great ride. Size of airplane matters not.
Plus potential first class upsells, make silver/golds happy with much easier to obtain upgrades, and exposung more folks to the product.

I hope they succeed wildly.

intotheair

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:48 pm

I'm surprised UA isn't restarting KEF. Iceland is going to open up to anyone who's fully vaccinated. Demand there is probably going to be crazy this summer, yet FI and DL appear to be the only ones with flights scheduled this summer.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90

jayunited

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

I don't know if you have ever flown on one of UA's CJR550s but they are comfortable. People knock them simply because they are an RJ but United is using the aircraft its has to test out more point to point flying. We are just starting to see some success with many of our point to point flights out of BOS, LGA and other airports after what can only be describe as a disastrous start, so I don't blame UA for being overly cautious with these new point to point routes. If they prove successful I'm sure frequency will increase and mainline aircraft will takeover some of these routes

Back to the schedule overall May will be at 52% of pre-COVID capacity, but when you split out domestic capacity from international capacity, UA's domestic capacity for the month of May will be up to 58% that is nearly 10% points higher domestically than March and April.

intotheair wrote:
I'm surprised UA isn't restarting KEF. Iceland is going to open up to anyone who's fully vaccinated. Demand there is probably going to be crazy this summer, yet FI and DL appear to be the only ones with flights scheduled this summer.

I believe EWR-KEF returns in June not May.

Scarebus34

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:27 pm

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

I don't know if you have ever flown on one of UA's CJR550s but they are comfortable. People knock them simply because they are an RJ but United is using the aircraft its has to test out more point to point flying. We are just starting to see some success with many of our point to point flights out of BOS, LGA and other airports after what can only be describe as a disastrous start, so I don't blame UA for being overly cautious with these new point to point routes. If they prove successful I'm sure frequency will increase and mainline aircraft will takeover some of these routes

Back to the schedule overall May will be at 52% of pre-COVID capacity, but when you split out domestic capacity from international capacity, UA's domestic capacity for the month of May will be up to 58% that is nearly 10% points higher domestically than March and April.

intotheair wrote:

KEF returns June 3rd.....

And I don't care that the 550 is comfortable - it's still regional feed.

CALMSP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:36 pm

I'd rather fly a 550 than a 737 any day of the week.

joeljack

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

intotheair wrote:

KEF returns June 3rd.....

I'll take a 550, E-170 or E-175 any day of the week over a 737! Comfortable, quick to load and unload, more frequency because smaller aircraft etc. Personal preference I guess but they are great! AA is now doing 7x daily for may OMA-DFW as a comparison all on E-175. Way better than only 4x daily and 2 mainline and 2 RJ for the same amount of seats. Great schedule and flexibility for business travelers!

intotheair

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out about KEF. I was only looking in May!

They might want to think about ramping up ZRH too. Switzerland is going to do the same thing with immunized people.

rjbesikof

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:25 pm

intotheair wrote:

They might want to think about ramping up ZRH too. Switzerland is going to do the same thing with immunized people.

Where did you read about Switzerland opening up immunity passports?

ChaseP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Storage Update:
N439UA (Airbus A320) entered GYR for storage this afternoon.
N69020 (Boeing 777-200ER) is scheduled to leave ROW on Saturday morning. It will eventually end up in XMN for heavy maintenance.

jayunited

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

Okay I now understand the point you were making it isn't about comfort for you as much as it is about increasing mainline flying. Creating more opportunities for mainline pilots and flight attendants.

But you also have to look at it from United's point of view as well while taking into account United's history. United does not have a strong history with point to point flying, employees and customers have been asking United to think outside the box and now when we finally do people are upset because UA has decided to test out these routes with CRJ550s. I'm just going to reiterate and say give it time, there is a reason United is launching these point to point routes on CRJ550s and not A319/20s or 737s. If these routes become profitable I'm sure mainline service will come at some point but UA has to start somewhere and there is a big difference in risk and operational cost between a 50 seat CRJ550 and a 126 seat A319, a 150 seat A320 or a166 seat 738.

flight152

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:43 pm

ChaseP wrote:
Storage Update:
N69020 (Boeing 777-200ER) is scheduled to leave ROW on Saturday morning. It will eventually end up in XMN for heavy maintenance.

Any idea why that A320 was sent to storage?

codc10

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 pm

flight152 wrote:
ChaseP wrote:
Storage Update:

Any idea why that A320 was sent to storage?

A320s are being cycled in and out of storage as they approach maintenance intervals. There are a number of 320s due for fleet exit in the next year, as well. This could be one of them.

Scarebus34

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Not seeing whatever he saw... but I would suspect a majority of the EU will open up to those who are vaccinated probably by June 1... with Greece opening up to those vaccinated, the other countries aren't going to want to miss out on the tourist dollars. They'll follow suit.

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
I wonder when IAH-NRT will return.

When more countries open up completely.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

sldispatcher

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:00 am

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Okay I now understand the point you were making it isn't about comfort for you as much as it is about increasing mainline flying. Creating more opportunities for mainline pilots and flight attendants.

But you also have to look at it from United's point of view as well while taking into account United's history. United does not have a strong history with point to point flying, employees and customers have been asking United to think outside the box and now when we finally do people are upset because UA has decided to test out these routes with CRJ550s. I'm just going to reiterate and say give it time, there is a reason United is launching these point to point routes on CRJ550s and not A319/20s or 737s. If these routes become profitable I'm sure mainline service will come at some point but UA has to start somewhere and there is a big difference in risk and operational cost between a 50 seat CRJ550 and a 126 seat A319, a 150 seat A320 or a166 seat 738.

Thank you.
From a customer standpoint, it stings a bit to hear someone say ‘I don’t care about comfort’.
For many of us, we cannot support more than regional type feed in volume, but my airfare can run 3x to 4x what the mainline only hub flight (e.g. IAH to LAX) might run. So my regional ‘comfort’ starts becoming very important for the dollars people spend.

Sevensixtyseven

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:08 am

CALTECH wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

The battles are sometimes legendary over who "deserves" to take the hit of a delay. Managers everywhere will throw each other's departments as far under the (Air)bus as possible to avoid taking the hit. I've always enjoyed listening to the back-and-forth over it.
I call the dusty desert my home. :)

intotheair

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:49 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Not seeing whatever he saw... but I would suspect a majority of the EU will open up to those who are vaccinated probably by June 1... with Greece opening up to those vaccinated, the other countries aren't going to want to miss out on the tourist dollars. They'll follow suit.

This is what I saw in the AFP. Upon second read, it still could be a while, but it looks like there could be more opportunity for leisure travel in Europe this summer compared to last:

https://www.barrons.com/news/switzerlan ... 19?tesla=y

Switzerland said Wednesday that travellers from the United States and Britain would soon no longer need to quarantine upon arrival due to falling Covid-19 infection rates, but Greece and others were added to the list.

Swiss authorities also said Wednesday they were planning to roll out by summer a certificate for residents who have been vaccinated against the new coronavirus.

In the latest update of its "red list" of countries and regions from which incoming travellers need to quarantine, the Swiss health ministry said travellers from the United States, the world's worst-affected country in the pandemic, and from Britain, which is the fifth hardest-hit, will no longer need to quarantine from April 5.

Both countries have made great strides with vaccinations, and have seen new infection levels drop low enough to no longer trigger the requirement.

Like a number of other countries, Switzerland also said Wednesday it plans to roll out a travel certificate to help allow those who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 to move more freely.

"We aim for summer," coronavirus taskforce chief Anne Levy told reporters, adding that it was "a challenging task but a realistic aim."

The document would be secure and recognised internationally, she said, adding that Bern was coordinating work towards the certificate with the neighbouring European Union.

Golfmikey

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 am

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

There also doesn’t look to be a lot of slack in the 550 schedule...I went through all the planes today and only about 5 aren’t flying in the next 4hrs. And a lot of the routes they are flying are previous main line routes. Ord-syr ord-bwi etc..plenty of other examples, those are just a few. So I would think that these p2p routes will open up more mainline flying in other places

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos