Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread, Q1 2021

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Flight ops confirmed 764s will be back for the summer and focused on EWR & IAD flying.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jagraham

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm

fun2fly wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Well well....UA pulling the 767-400ER fleet out of storage. Looks like they will be replacement frames for the 777-222As which are all grounded.

I wonder if they will finally pick up the 789's at CHS...been there a long time.

Deliveries were on hold because of the shim issue. Deliveries just started back last Friday. UA got the first one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boeing-r ... 08974.html

codc10

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
codc10 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Of you course you are aware that UA flew SFO-ITO from the late 1960s into the 1980s. I assume you mean in more modern times.

SFO-ITO was operating on Saturdays periodically, before the pandemic, but by no means on a regular basis (meaning, every season).

Again, UA flew SFO-ITO daily with DC-8s from the late 1960s to about 1986. At the end in 1986 it was a DC-10 doing a round robin with KOA. UA also flew LAX-ITO with DC-8s.

Again, UA periodically operated weekly frequencies on SFO-ITO, on and off, with 737s, starting in 2011 or so. That's really what's resuming. The history lesson is appreciated but the 1980s iteration of ITO service (that ended in 1986) was more a relic of the deregulation-era Maui Fence.

The flight has always been oriented to Hilo-originating traffic (unlike pretty much every other UA Hawaii market that is primarily mainland point of sale) and the largest local market has always been LA and the rest of Southern California. SFO-ITO tends to struggle as it is not as desirable a city pair for local Hilo traffic, and the east coast of the Big Island can't really support high-volume tourist traffic coming from the mainland.

Perhaps this is a play that in a pandemic year, travelers that would typically venture elsewhere in the world might consider an off-the-beaten-trail Hawaii destination for a summer trip?

LGeneReese

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 pm

jagraham wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Well well....UA pulling the 767-400ER fleet out of storage. Looks like they will be replacement frames for the 777-222As which are all grounded.

I wonder if they will finally pick up the 789's at CHS...been there a long time.

Deliveries were on hold because of the shim issue. Deliveries just started back last Friday. UA got the first one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boeing-r ... 08974.html

UA now has two. Boeing has the third one ready for UA customer flight test in the next few days.
Formerly IAHCSR

kngkyle

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
kngkyle wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

When are you not seeing any availability?

Sorry, I meant availability at reasonable prices about a week in advance. I'm not paying $700+ for EWR-ORD in coach when comparable flights on AA are $200-300 cheaper.

So United only has to sell 1 seat for every 2 or 3 that AA or WN has to sell? And that’s a bad thing?

It is for UA frequent fliers like myself who have fewer options at competitive prices. If they don't fix it (I'm sure they will) then they lose me as a frequent flyer, and I'm sure many others as well. Short term gain for long term pain. Wasn't that basically the Smisek strategy?

jetmatt777

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:25 pm

kngkyle wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

Sorry, I meant availability at reasonable prices about a week in advance. I'm not paying $700+ for EWR-ORD in coach when comparable flights on AA are $200-300 cheaper.

So United only has to sell 1 seat for every 2 or 3 that AA or WN has to sell? And that’s a bad thing?

It is for UA frequent fliers like myself who have fewer options at competitive prices. If they don't fix it (I'm sure they will) then they lose me as a frequent flyer, and I'm sure many others as well. Short term gain for long term pain. Wasn't that basically the Smisek strategy?

United’s bread and butter has long been the corporate contract, premium customer. I am sure they have done the math. I don’t think it’s perfect or ideal, but I think they are placing the capacity where it matters the most. Unfortunately with changing market dynamics they won’t be able to retain every customer. No one is enjoying the current market - customers, airlines, or competitors. Each face their own advantages and disadvantages, but all 3 have their own challenges.

I don’t envy anyone in airline management right now. The traffic is coming back, but is it traffic that is worth the expense?

sldispatcher

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:47 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
kngkyle wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

When are you not seeing any availability?

So United only has to sell 1 seat for every 2 or 3 that AA or WN has to sell? And that’s a bad thing? They are trying to not dump capacity and reduce already tight (or even negative) margins. You can’t make money on volume if you are losing on every transaction. You can only make money on volume if you are selling your product for a profit. Losing $40 a seat can’t be made up by selling 500 more seats. You can however cut your losses at $10 a seat by flying a reduced schedule and curbing against depressed market forces.

There are places United should probably be a bit more aggressive, but this is a very delicate balance of adding capacity vs flooding saturated markets with weak demand.

I think the big problem many of us have tried to express is that in reducing capacity it was not done simply by downgauging, but wholesale removal of flights and routes. Understandable in May 2020. NOT understandable in May 2021 with every sign pointing to increased passenger numbers, much higher load factors, and air fares, at least at my home airport, are running much higher than same time last year.

I’m not asking them to flood capacity, just to restore some still broken connections.

jbs2886

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

So United only has to sell 1 seat for every 2 or 3 that AA or WN has to sell? And that’s a bad thing? They are trying to not dump capacity and reduce already tight (or even negative) margins. You can’t make money on volume if you are losing on every transaction. You can only make money on volume if you are selling your product for a profit. Losing $40 a seat can’t be made up by selling 500 more seats. You can however cut your losses at $10 a seat by flying a reduced schedule and curbing against depressed market forces.

There are places United should probably be a bit more aggressive, but this is a very delicate balance of adding capacity vs flooding saturated markets with weak demand.

I think the big problem many of us have tried to express is that in reducing capacity it was not done simply by downgauging, but wholesale removal of flights and routes. Understandable in May 2020. NOT understandable in May 2021 with every sign pointing to increased passenger numbers, much higher load factors, and air fares, at least at my home airport, are running much higher than same time last year.

I’m not asking them to flood capacity, just to restore some still broken connections.

This thread has turned into quite the kvetch session in assuming UA has no idea what is going on. The situation here is (1) UA thinks it is more financially beneficial to have the reduced capacity with removal of flights and routes at certain airports and/or in general, or (2) there are logistical issues preventing UA from running the schedule and making it available far in advance. I can guarantee UA has far more data than any of us do on this forum and is acting accordingly. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating, but it is incorrect that UA sees a huge rebound and is just sitting back and watching - if UA is/isn't doing something its for a reason when you talk about network and capacity.

Edit to add that I am also interested in UA's reasoning, in particular because of the US3 it hasn't slashed fleets and yet it seems to be slower in bringing capacity back. It would appear that would be expensive, but who knows.

nomorerjs

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm

UA needs to look at what AA and WN are doing. AA announced they are bring their fleet back by May and WN is adding routes like made.

If UA doesn’t respond, AA could do damage at ORD and WN is already adding ORD-LAS/MCO/TPA/RSW.

UA responded to AA by adding ACK from ORD and changing Hawaii to 788 and increasing flights.

LHUSA

Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:13 am

nomorerjs wrote:
UA needs to look at what AA and WN are doing. AA announced they are bring their fleet back by May and WN is adding routes like made.

If UA doesn’t respond, AA could do damage at ORD and WN is already adding ORD-LAS/MCO/TPA/RSW.

UA responded to AA by adding ACK from ORD and changing Hawaii to 788 and increasing flights.

Just because AA is doing it, doesn’t automatically make it right. We’ll know the answer to that in the future. I agree that it’s frustrating, but I trust the network team and Scott. It’s exciting to see demands returning but the rule books have been completely re-written.

jayunited

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 am

Right now at this time United has around 200 mainline aircraft parked, this includes (if my numbers are correct) UA has around 89 widebodies parked this includes the entire PW 777 fleet, a small number of 763s and for now the 764 fleet, although that fleet is slated to return to service. This means UA has around 111 mainline narrowbody jets that were in service pre-pandemic that are still parked. These numbers do not include any used aircraft 73Gs or A319/20s UA has taken delivery of since January 1st, 2020.

At one point United had 559 mainline aircraft parked. April 2020 United's mainline fleet only totaled 823 aircraft so UA has put 359 mainline aircraft back into service thus far. United has announced internally we are pulling more narrowbody aircraft out of storage in April but many of the narrowbodies that we are now pulling out of storage require more work to get them ready for flying and right now our in house maintenance locations which are doing the work on returning these narrowbodies to service have been operating at 100% for much of this year. So the question becomes with 359 mainline aircraft returned to service where has the capacity been added back? I think we all know the answer is DEN and IAH. I think a lot of us myself included have become use to things operating a certain way and we continue to look for capacity from certain hubs while completely ignoring what UA is doing at other hubs. Today on a call UA leadership confirmed UA will defend its position at EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO and LAX, but right now both DEN and IAH is where more capacity is needed. And if we look at American they did announce a few new routes from ORD but nothing major however AA's focus has been on DFW and CLT. Delta Airlines focus for the most part has been on ATL and LAX, so it is really that hard to believe UA would focus its attention for now on DEN and IAH as well. I get the frustration, I'm frustrated myself and I would like to see more flights out of ORD and EWR (if I had to pick two additional hubs) but the two hubs that have really gotten UA to the point we are at today along with our cargo only flights are DEN and IAH.

Several posters have stated UA needs to look at what WN is doing. Need I remind people WN is UA's largest competitor at DEN and we also have to contend with F9. Last April, May and most of June United operated only 69 daily flights out of DEN. Whereas WN was operating well over 100 daily departures. United has gone from 69 daily flights at our lowest point in 2020 to 384 daily flights out of DEN today and according to leadership UA will be back at 100% capacity at DEN by summer 2020. This means UA will get DEN to 500 daily departures by July of 2021 and IAH won't be that far behind DEN. And from what I can tell UA has no intentions of stopping once DEN hits 500 daily departures.

United is not abandoning EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO, or LAX but perhaps we all need to take a step back and be a bit more patience because UA did not achieve positive "core" cash burn by mistake. We ended our "core" cash burn by making right decisions that ultimately benefited United Airlines. I wonder if on the other side of this crisis if there is not a changing of the guard, and DEN replaced ORD permanently as UA's number 1 hub in terms of flights and capacity and if IAH's star rises as well as a result of its performance during this pandemic. This would relegate ORD to 3rd place, not a slot we are use to being in here in Chicago but is it possible that United actually does know its doing by continuing to go full steam ahead at IAH but especially DEN. Outside of Jetblue there hasn't been much action from most carriers in the tri-state area so for now EWR is okay. WN poses no major threat to UA at ORD they haven't made much noise at MDW. AA has added a few flights but hasn't put up much of a fight at ORD either. AS hasn't done much of anything to threaten UA at SFO, and LAX is so fractured even with Jetblue's arrival and Delta's push the fractured nature of the market for now is protecting UA. And lastly we have IAD and UA is not facing any threats at IAD.

But stop and think about this if UA were to loose the fight in Houston where WN dominates HOU and also operates out of IAH and if we were to loose the fight at DEN what happens then to this airline then?

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:58 am

jayunited wrote:
Right now at this time United has around 200 mainline aircraft parked, this includes (if my numbers are correct) UA has around 89 widebodies parked this includes the entire PW 777 fleet, a small number of 763s and for now the 764 fleet, although that fleet is slated to return to service. This means UA has around 111 mainline narrowbody jets that were in service pre-pandemic that are still parked. These numbers do not include any used aircraft 73Gs or A319/20s UA has taken delivery of since January 1st, 2020.

At one point United had 559 mainline aircraft parked. April 2020 United's mainline fleet only totaled 823 aircraft so UA has put 359 mainline aircraft back into service thus far. United has announced internally we are pulling more narrowbody aircraft out of storage in April but many of the narrowbodies that we are now pulling out of storage require more work to get them ready for flying and right now our in house maintenance locations which are doing the work on returning these narrowbodies to service have been operating at 100% for much of this year. So the question becomes with 359 mainline aircraft returned to service where has the capacity been added back? I think we all know the answer is DEN and IAH. I think a lot of us myself included have become use to things operating a certain way and we continue to look for capacity from certain hubs while completely ignoring what UA is doing at other hubs. Today on a call UA leadership confirmed UA will defend its position at EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO and LAX, but right now both DEN and IAH is where more capacity is needed. And if we look at American they did announce a few new routes from ORD but nothing major however AA's focus has been on DFW and CLT. Delta Airlines focus for the most part has been on ATL and LAX, so it is really that hard to believe UA would focus its attention for now on DEN and IAH as well. I get the frustration, I'm frustrated myself and I would like to see more flights out of ORD and EWR (if I had to pick two additional hubs) but the two hubs that have really gotten UA to the point we are at today along with our cargo only flights are DEN and IAH.

Several posters have stated UA needs to look at what WN is doing. Need I remind people WN is UA's largest competitor at DEN and we also have to contend with F9. Last April, May and most of June United operated only 69 daily flights out of DEN. Whereas WN was operating well over 100 daily departures. United has gone from 69 daily flights at our lowest point in 2020 to 384 daily flights out of DEN today and according to leadership UA will be back at 100% capacity at DEN by summer 2020. This means UA will get DEN to 500 daily departures by July of 2021 and IAH won't be that far behind DEN. And from what I can tell UA has no intentions of stopping once DEN hits 500 daily departures.

United is not abandoning EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO, or LAX but perhaps we all need to take a step back and be a bit more patience because UA did not achieve positive "core" cash burn by mistake. We ended our "core" cash burn by making right decisions that ultimately benefited United Airlines. I wonder if on the other side of this crisis if there is not a changing of the guard, and DEN replaced ORD permanently as UA's number 1 hub in terms of flights and capacity and if IAH's star rises as well as a result of its performance during this pandemic. This would relegate ORD to 3rd place, not a slot we are use to being in here in Chicago but is it possible that United actually does know its doing by continuing to go full steam ahead at IAH but especially DEN. Outside of Jetblue there hasn't been much action from most carriers in the tri-state area so for now EWR is okay. WN poses no major threat to UA at ORD they haven't made much noise at MDW. AA has added a few flights but hasn't put up much of a fight at ORD either. AS hasn't done much of anything to threaten UA at SFO, and LAX is so fractured even with Jetblue's arrival and Delta's push the fractured nature of the market for now is protecting UA. And lastly we have IAD and UA is not facing any threats at IAD.

But stop and think about this if UA were to loose the fight in Houston where WN dominates HOU and also operates out of IAH and if we were to loose the fight at DEN what happens then to this airline then?

Jay, that k you very much for keeping us up to date with great detail. We owe you a lot of gratitude. Can we expect United to become more aggressive against WN? Maybe even a relaunch of DAL? UA did get quite a lot of international connections when it was around from both DFW and DAL when I flew between Dallas and IAH regularly, I remember a lot of LOS connections specifically before LOS was cut.
Last edited by TWA772LR on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Wneast

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 am

TWA772LR wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Jay, that k you very much for keeping us up to date with great detail. We owe you a lot of gratitude. Can we expect United to become more aggressive against WN? Maybe even a relaunch of DAL?

Uh where would they find a gate at DAL ?

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 am

Wneast wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Jay, that k you very much for keeping us up to date with great detail. We owe you a lot of gratitude. Can we expect United to become more aggressive against WN? Maybe even a relaunch of DAL?

Is AS utilizing both at the moment? If UA wanted in to DAL, in the same manner WN is hitting ORD and IAH, I'm sure the City and UA would find a way. I've always thought E175, and now CRJ550, service timed to departure banks in key hubs would be a good way for UA to return. We are returning to JFK so it's not unfounded.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Wneast

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:08 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Wneast wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Is AS utilizing both at the moment? If UA wanted in to DAL, in the same manner WN is hitting ORD and IAH, I'm sure the City and UA would find a way. I've always thought E175, and now CRJ550, service timed to departure banks in key hubs would be a good way for UA to return. We are returning to JFK so it's not unfounded.

I’m pretty sure the gates are being used and the thing they would never be able to offer meaningful service since the airport only has 20 which 18 are southwest and delta and Alaska are using the gates I don’t see anyway or reason for that to happen, ORD,DEN, IAH there is facilities for southwest to actually expand DAL doesn’t have any

fun2fly

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:10 am

nomorerjs wrote:

Well, AA might have said they want to bring back all aircraft, but they can only train 288 pilots per month, plus the maintenance will be in backlogged. So, saying and doing are two different things.

UA has had some moving parts occurring for the past few months with HKG and XMN maintenance + US sites, so they have been creeping in. We have to remember, they have a ton of data. Think about every time you go online and look up a potential flight, they know where and what dates, even if you don't book. With that info alone, you can see very clearly when people want to fly and that data will guide their actions. For example, it's not just a toss at the dartboard that so many flights and upgraded services are offered to Hawaii, I'm sure that came from bookings and data from flight inquiries (200% increase in HI searches, 90% decrease in TATL searches probably).

With that being said, UA does have an issue with the PW frames that will most likely cause them to be in arrears or shorthanded for a bit. They do have some lift coming on with the 3x789's (2 delivered) and 7-8 78J's that will help close that gap depending on how big it ends up being.

gdavis003

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:29 pm

Anyone know why N851UA is scheduled to ferry to BFM today as UA2750? 2750 would indicate maintenance, I presume, but I don't recall UA having any A319 maintenance work done at BFM in the past https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N85 ... /KIAH/KBFM

EssentialBusDC

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:34 pm

Wneast wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Does UAL not still own two gates that they sublease?

FSDan

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
FSDan wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

SFO-ITO was launched at the same time as LAX-ITO, right after the merger.

IIRC it only last six months.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/friendlyskies/un ... awaii.html

Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember that one.

Of you course you are aware that UA flew SFO-ITO from the late 1960s into the 1980s. I assume you mean in more modern times.

Point taken - I'll be more careful throwing around words like "ever". "In my lifetime" would have been more appropriate in this case.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

atcsundevil

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q1 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:06 pm

Please continue the discussion in the Q2 thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459349

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos