Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm617

Re: DTW Detroit Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:34 pm

A bit of some good news for Detroit finally a route that has been long overdue. Delta is adding DTW-ANC starting May 28th.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

kavok

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 pm

klm617 wrote:
A bit of some good news for Detroit finally a route that has been long overdue. Delta is adding DTW-ANC starting May 28th.

Personally I am very excited to see this addition. I was hoping for a late summer family trip to Alaska, but my spouse insisted that any travel this summer only be on a nonstop flight. There is a very good chance we will be on one of these new DTW-ANC flights now. Thank you Delta!

flymco753

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:05 pm

Meaningful add. This is exactly what my point was. ANC was the 3rd largest domestic market not served following Sacramento and Honolulu.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

SQ22

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.

klm617

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.

Sorry for that here is the link

https://news.delta.com/alaska-awaits-de ... ons-summer
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 pm

kavok wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Personally I am very excited to see this addition. I was hoping for a late summer family trip to Alaska, but my spouse insisted that any travel this summer only be on a nonstop flight. There is a very good chance we will be on one of these new DTW-ANC flights now. Thank you Delta!

Yes this really is a meaningful add. It's a step in the right direction. Hopefully we will see more of these adds at DTW in the weeks, and months ahead. To me this is more meaningful than DTW-HNL which we all kind of knew was never going to stick.

EBiafore99

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:46 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
...sigh.... not sure what to say other than oh well. I am certainly not going to lose sleep because NK didn't a DTW-PNS flight in June. Lets see if it starts by December.

I'm also tired of this complaining about number of carriers. Does the number of carriers matter or does the number of flights? Can't have it both ways.

I posted this a few weeks ago based on mid-Feb, but still gets my point across.

MCO:
DTW 10 DL-6x (739, 2x 321, 3x 753); NK-3x (3x 320), F9 -1x (320)
MSP 11 DL-5x (3x 739, 752, 333); SY-4x (4x738), WN-1x (738) NK -1x (320)
CLE 5 F9-3x (A20N, 2x 321), UA - 1x (738), NK - 1x (320)
PIT 2 NK-1x (320) WN - 1x (73G)
CMH 1 WN-1x (738)

TPA:
DTW 8 DL-6x (6x A321), NK-2x (320, 321)
MSP 5 DL-4x (4x A321), SY-1x (738)
CLE 1 F9 1x(320)
PIT 1 WN 1x (738
CMH 0

MIA
DTW 2 DL-2x (319, 321)
MSP 3 DL-2x (2x 321), SY-1x (738)
CLE 1 AA-1x(738)
PIT 1 AA-1x(E70)
CMH 1 AA-1x(ERJ)

(Do you notice that AA isn't even flying DTW/MSP - MIA currently. AA is supposedly going to resume DTW-MIA in April at this point)

The number of carriers matters a lot. If Delta runs 15 flights a day and only Delta flies the route that means everyone has to play by Delta's rules when flying between points A and B. The true marketplace thrives on diversity not monopoly. When someone comes into the market and offers choice it forces everyone to be more competitive even you you pointed this out in the past. If DTW-VPS is not served Delta doesn't feel the need to compete and will route everyone as they see fit. But if someone comes in and starts the route then Delta has to either give up market share or offer a better option. Why do you think MSP-KEF is bookable for this summer and DTW-MUC is not. So yes I'd rather have 4 carriers operating two flights than one carrier operating 10.

I don't think DTW-MUC is a good comparison. With COVID going on, a lot depends on if a country is even open for visitors. Prior to COVID, LH was going to start DTW-MUC 5x week for the summer, along with DL.

NCAD95

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:56 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
...sigh.... not sure what to say other than oh well. I am certainly not going to lose sleep because NK didn't a DTW-PNS flight in June. Lets see if it starts by December.

I'm also tired of this complaining about number of carriers. Does the number of carriers matter or does the number of flights? Can't have it both ways.

I posted this a few weeks ago based on mid-Feb, but still gets my point across.

MCO:
DTW 10 DL-6x (739, 2x 321, 3x 753); NK-3x (3x 320), F9 -1x (320)
MSP 11 DL-5x (3x 739, 752, 333); SY-4x (4x738), WN-1x (738) NK -1x (320)
CLE 5 F9-3x (A20N, 2x 321), UA - 1x (738), NK - 1x (320)
PIT 2 NK-1x (320) WN - 1x (73G)
CMH 1 WN-1x (738)

TPA:
DTW 8 DL-6x (6x A321), NK-2x (320, 321)
MSP 5 DL-4x (4x A321), SY-1x (738)
CLE 1 F9 1x(320)
PIT 1 WN 1x (738
CMH 0

MIA
DTW 2 DL-2x (319, 321)
MSP 3 DL-2x (2x 321), SY-1x (738)
CLE 1 AA-1x(738)
PIT 1 AA-1x(E70)
CMH 1 AA-1x(ERJ)

(Do you notice that AA isn't even flying DTW/MSP - MIA currently. AA is supposedly going to resume DTW-MIA in April at this point)

The number of carriers matters a lot. If Delta runs 15 flights a day and only Delta flies the route that means everyone has to play by Delta's rules when flying between points A and B. The true marketplace thrives on diversity not monopoly. When someone comes into the market and offers choice it forces everyone to be more competitive even you you pointed this out in the past. If DTW-VPS is not served Delta doesn't feel the need to compete and will route everyone as they see fit. But if someone comes in and starts the route then Delta has to either give up market share or offer a better option. Why do you think MSP-KEF is bookable for this summer and DTW-MUC is not. So yes I'd rather have 4 carriers operating two flights than one carrier operating 10.

I don't think DTW-MUC is a good comparison. With COVID going on, a lot depends on if a country is even open for visitors. Prior to COVID, LH was going to start DTW-MUC 5x week for the summer, along with DL.

So you are saying MSP-KEF has enough capacity in these tuff times to support 2 daily like it did precovid and DTW-MUC doesn't have enough demand to support 3 or 4 weekly with cargo. My point being since FI is on MSP-KEF Delta has it as bookable and since no one is operating DTW-MUC Delta doesn't operate it. You can bet if LH brought it back Delta would have DTW-MUC up and running within 6 months. By the way I think LH bringing back DTW-MUC before Delta is a way better option for the market.

EBiafore99

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:11 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

So you are saying MSP-KEF has enough capacity in these tuff times to support 2 daily like it did precovid and DTW-MUC doesn't have enough demand to support 3 or 4 weekly with cargo.

Maybe MSP-KEF does. First, the aircraft serving KEF are 757s with smaller capacity. Also, I believe Germany is still in lockdown and has entry restrictions, which is not really a demand issue. Also, I bet MSP-KEF has a higher level of leisure travelers, which have been returning to the skies faster than business travelers. Finally, given how airlines are cancelling flights these days, what's bookable now may not even operate.

I know a lot of what I am saying is speculation. But that's where we are in this COVID era. I think everyone's reading too much into the schedules given how much they change. Look at the weekly updates posted to see what I mean (BTW - did I miss the update for this week ?)

ASFlyer

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
DTW is tremendously behind. I can't be told with a straight face that someone other than DL or NK could announce something meaningful. Notice how I don't say new because new doesn't necessarily mean that it's good. A meaningful add would have been NK announcing PNS or WN making TPA & MCO daily instead of the mediocre once weekly it is. It's great WN is flying to HOU now, but it came at the cost of DAL. It's cool NK is temporarily flying PHX, but it was the cost of F9. That's my two cents.

I had hoped that AS would add DTW-SAN/LAX/SFO at some point - the problem is that people in DTW want to complain about not having choices but they don't take advantage of the ones they have.... Instead, AS flies one flight a day to SEA. :banghead:

A Saturday only seasonal DTW-ANC flight would be the addition that would be most beneficial. AS runs 2X in the summer so I'd say that's pretty good loyalty it's on par with the other AS outstations from SEA.

without feed on the DTW side, DTW-ANC wouldn’t do well. I’d be curious to know what the numbers are between to two cities. I imagine they’re fairly low.

kavok

Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:46 am

ASFlyer wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I had hoped that AS would add DTW-SAN/LAX/SFO at some point - the problem is that people in DTW want to complain about not having choices but they don't take advantage of the ones they have.... Instead, AS flies one flight a day to SEA. :banghead:

A Saturday only seasonal DTW-ANC flight would be the addition that would be most beneficial. AS runs 2X in the summer so I'd say that's pretty good loyalty it's on par with the other AS outstations from SEA.

without feed on the DTW side, DTW-ANC wouldn’t do well. I’d be curious to know what the numbers are between to two cities. I imagine they’re fairly low.

Historically, one of the big turn offs is that the majority of itineraries on ANC-DTW involved a return that included a connection following a Red-Eye. Having a direct flight (even if itself is a red eye return) and avoiding having to make that connection flight post red eye (or an out of the way cx in SEA) make ANC much more appealing, and hopefully would grow the PDEW.

tb727

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:38 am

kavok wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

Historically, one of the big turn offs is that the majority of itineraries on ANC-DTW involved a return that included a connection following a Red-Eye. Having a direct flight (even if itself is a red eye return) and avoiding having to make that connection flight post red eye (or an out of the way cx in SEA) make ANC much more appealing, and hopefully would grow the PDEW.

I agree, a little over a year ago I was planning a fishing trip with my dad back up to Alaska for the summer of 2020, then, well, you know. Connections with a redeye was pretty much all I could come up with. This is nice though, I wish it was more frequency than just weekends but this might work for us this year. Doesn't seem to be bookable yet though, next question is how much it is gonna cost.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

iFlyDTW

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm

I booked my flight to ANC and will be on the inaugural Delta flight. I'm surprised the news hasn't made a big deal about this new flight.

DaveMetroD

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:27 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
I booked my flight to ANC and will be on the inaugural Delta flight. I'm surprised the news hasn't made a big deal about this new flight.

Very little journalistic research going on nowadays. If it's not spoon feed to a reporter, you're probably not going to see it on any of the media outlets.

Based on what I see, it seems to me that CNN now has people mining this forum for "breaking news".
Previously many of their aviation stories were well past the use by date.

NCAD95

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:38 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:

An airline adding 1 or 2 weekly flights is really not that news worthy. Even when Aeromexico was adding flights like crazy I don't think it was in the media. It has to be something pretty big to make the local news like when WOW Air added Detroit to it's network. When we have a new route or carrier make the local news I think that when it's really a bonified meaningful add. To us who use DTW for our travels and monitor the DTW market and it's happenings DTW-ANC is pretty meaningful but outside of that audience it's not really news worthy.

NCAD95

Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Here is another airport looking to connect Detroit to it's route network.

In summary

Morelia International Airport (AIM) announced that it plans to expand its air traffic with 14 new routes, which would maintain double-digit annual growth.

In the short and medium term, it seeks to connect with Cancun, Atlanta, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Ciudad Juárez and San Francisco; while in the long term with Chihuahua, Hermosillo, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Detroit, Raleight and Seattle.

The short and medium term plans are contemplated for a period of 12 months, while the lake could be between two or three, since marketing studies are required.

"We currently have some indications that these flights may be ideal," said AIM administrator Enrique Raymundo Peña Argüelles.

https://grupomarmor.com.mx/en-planes-la ... en-el-aim/

NCAD95

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Now with Iceland being opened up to vaccinated people it's time for the WCAA to get proactive and get Icelandair on DTW-KEF at least twice weekly. People are itching to get out and take a trip. We need to seize this opportunity and not let it pass. If we can get DTW-ANC we can get DTW-KEF. There shouldn't be any issue now that Icelandair has the MAX8 at it's disposal.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... COVID%2D19.

Luke1994

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
Now with Iceland being opened up to vaccinated people it's time for the WCAA to get proactive and get Icelandair on DTW-KEF at least twice weekly. People are itching to get out and take a trip. We need to seize this opportunity and not let it pass. If we can get DTW-ANC we can get DTW-KEF. There shouldn't be any issue now that Icelandair has the MAX8 at it's disposal.

I completely agree with this. This is an add that would make sense, especially as more and more get vaccinated and restrictions loosen.
CFI

NCAD95

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm

Luke1994 wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

I completely agree with this. This is an add that would make sense, especially as more and more get vaccinated and restrictions loosen.

And consider the fact that it's mostly retirees that are getting vaccinated at the moment with disposable cash with little or no travel restrictions. Now is also a great time because Icelandair can get some traction in the market before DL and LH ramp up their TATL operations here.

NCAD95

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Delta is adding DTW to BZM, JAC and RAP for the summer.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-new ... epointsguy

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Official DL press release:
Not yet loaded yet so I can't pull any equipment types but I'll speculate
DTW highlights:
DTW-BZN resuming, seasonal, Saturday-only (flight had operated previously for a few weeks in March and 1 summer); probably going to be A319 or A320
DTW-JAC new, seasonal, Saturday-only; will have to be either A319 or B752 due to performance requirements out of JAC
DTW-RAP new, seasonal, weekends; I'd guess this will either be E75 or A319/A320

Michigan-related:
TVC-BOS new, seasonal, Saturday-only; probably going to be CR9 or E75
TVC-ATL resuming, seasonal, daily; in the past this was a CR9, but could be 717 or A319
TVC-LGA resuming, seasonal, daily (used to be weekend only for the most part); in the past this was a mix of CR9 & 717 but this time will probably be a mix of CR9 & E75 (no more 717s in NYC now)
TVC-MSP resuming, up to 3x daily; probably a mix of CR9 & A319 / A320
TVC-DTW increasing up to 5x daily; probably a mix of CR9, 717, A319 / A320

NCAD95

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:30 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
DTW highlights:
DTW-BZN resuming, seasonal, Saturday-only (flight had operated previously for a few weeks in March and 1 summer); probably going to be A319 or A320
DTW-JAC new, seasonal, Saturday-only; will have to be either A319 or B752 due to performance requirements out of JAC

Michigan-related:
TVC-ATL resuming, seasonal, daily; in the past this was a CR9, but could be 717 or A319
TVC-LGA resuming, seasonal, daily (used to be weekend only for the most part); in the past this was a mix of CR9 & 717 but this time will probably be a mix of CR9 & E75 (no more 717s in NYC now)

Also DTW-BGR is operating.

KarlB737

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Michigan-related:

With all these flights and others from American you can see why a year ago this story surfaced. Any news update on this story?

Courtesy: The Traverse Ticker

Reaching Its Capacity, Cherry Capital Airport Eyes Expansion

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/reaching-its-capacity-cherry-capital-airport-eyes-expansion/

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:01 am

The new DL summer seasonal routes were loaded over the weekend:

DL 687 DTW-ANC Dep: 7:00pm Arr: 9:52pm B752 Operates Fri, Sat;
DL 703 ANC-DTW Dep: 11:00pm Arr: 9:00am+1 B752 Operates Fri, Sat;

DL 694 DTW-JAC Dep: 8:30am Arr: 10:08am B752 Operates Sat
DL 694 JAC-DTW Dep: 11:30am Arr: 4:37pm B752 Operates Sat

DL 761 DTW-BZN Dep: 8:30am Arr: 10:05am A319 Operates Sat
DL 761 BZN-DTW Dep: 11:10am Arr: 4:23pm A319 Operates Sat

DL(9E) 5323 DTW-RAP Dep: 8:35am Arr: 9:21am CR9 Operates Sat
DL(9E) 5323 RAP-DTW Dep: 10:15am Arr: 2:45pm CR9 Operates Sat

DL(9E) 4973 DTW-BGR Dep: 9:00am Arr: 11:15am CR7 Operates Sat
DL(9E) 4973 BGR-DTW Dep: 12:10pm Arr: 2:47pm CR7 Operates Sat

NCAD95

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:49 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The new DL summer seasonal routes were loaded over the weekend:

DL 687 DTW-ANC Dep: 7:00pm Arr: 9:52pm B752 Operates Fri, Sat;
DL 703 ANC-DTW Dep: 11:00pm Arr: 9:00am+1 B752 Operates Fri, Sat;

DL 694 DTW-JAC Dep: 8:30am Arr: 10:08am B752 Operates Sat
DL 694 JAC-DTW Dep: 11:30am Arr: 4:37pm B752 Operates Sat

DL 761 DTW-BZN Dep: 8:30am Arr: 10:05am A319 Operates Sat
DL 761 BZN-DTW Dep: 11:10am Arr: 4:23pm A319 Operates Sat

DL(9E) 5323 DTW-RAP Dep: 8:35am Arr: 9:21am CR9 Operates Sat
DL(9E) 5323 RAP-DTW Dep: 10:15am Arr: 2:45pm CR9 Operates Sat

DL(9E) 4973 DTW-BGR Dep: 9:00am Arr: 11:15am CR7 Operates Sat
DL(9E) 4973 BGR-DTW Dep: 12:10pm Arr: 2:47pm CR7 Operates Sat

Thank you for sharing

FlydetroitJets

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pm

This may or may not be the right place for this, but there was talk about another airshow at YIP, to celebrate the Yankee Air Museum's 40th Anniversary (June 22nd). They said the RCAF Snowbirds would be the main performer.

AZORMP

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:37 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
DTW highlights:

Michigan-related:

All DL TVC ops are listed as entirely CRJ on the schedule right now. No mainline or ERJ service, at least for May.
Kalamazoo’s Radio Man

The RJ2 sucks.

umichman

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm

AZORMP wrote:

All DL TVC ops are listed as entirely CRJ on the schedule right now. No mainline or ERJ service, at least for May.

To be clear, it goes to 5x daily CR9 on May 5th which is a big boost from the April schedule (2x CR2 and 1x CR7). They pushed out the May schedule update over the weekend (through June 4th), so these flights should be relatively firm at this point.
Last edited by umichman on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm

TVC doesn't really get rocking until after Memorial Day. May is still mud season and cold up there.
Mainline will probably show-up on DTW-TVC in June-July-August.

DL just updated May schedule over the weekend. June is still default/placeholder except for any of the new added flights they just loaded, or anything they cancelled out through end of the schedule. Equipment types are highly suspect at this time obviously.

Looks like DL is going to resume DTW-PDX & SNA in May.

NCAD95

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:11 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
TVC doesn't really get rocking until after Memorial Day. May is still mud season and cold up there.

DL just updated May schedule over the weekend. June is still default/placeholder except for any of the new added flights they just loaded, or anything they cancelled out through end of the schedule. Equipment types are highly suspect at this time obviously.

Good to see DTW-SNA come back on line in May.

AZORMP

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I’ve checked several days in June as well (both weekday and weekend). Albeit it is likely not updated, there are currently no mainline flights scheduled to TVC on DL. It is all RJ.
Kalamazoo’s Radio Man

The RJ2 sucks.

umichman

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:06 am

AZORMP wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I’ve checked several days in June as well (both weekday and weekend). Albeit it is likely not updated, there are currently no mainline flights scheduled to TVC on DL. It is all RJ.

They only have largely fixed the schedule through June 4th. June 5th and beyond will likely see significant bumps on this route when they get around to updating June schedule some time next month. You can't really read much into the placeholder schedules. On many routes, they have overly optimistic schedules and end up making reductions. However, on some of the leisure centric routes, they have been bumping up capacity on the monthly updates.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:17 am

Flew out of DTW tonight, the airport was busy in the Covid era for a Monday evening with all the inbound / returning spring break travel arriving in 7:30-8pm arrival bank.

DL has the evening RON flight DTW-GRR on an A321. (ATL-GRR is current a mix of A320/A321, that had primarily been an MD88/90 route previously)

AZORMP

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm

umichman wrote:

They only have largely fixed the schedule through June 4th. June 5th and beyond will likely see significant bumps on this route when they get around to updating June schedule some time next month. You can't really read much into the placeholder schedules. On many routes, they have overly optimistic schedules and end up making reductions. However, on some of the leisure centric routes, they have been bumping up capacity on the monthly updates.

Yes, that’s essentially what I said. The schedules are not updated (so they’ll change) but for the moment they are all RJ. We will find out next month what June has in store for TVC and that will give us a window into the rest of the summer.
Kalamazoo’s Radio Man

The RJ2 sucks.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 am

A couple random tid-bits for this evening:

DL A220-300s (223) are being regularly scheduled now on the DTW-Texas flights (DFW, IAH, AUS).
Previously these had been a mix of CR9, E75, 717, A221, 319 equipment. Most of DL's DTW-Texas flying is now A221/A223.

The cargo only DL DTW-BRU flight is now being flown with an A359 instead of an A332/A333.

The McNamera is busy like old times when between arrival and departure banks. Still no tram, which I have heard as a complaint from several people that have traveled through DTW lately.

ASFlyer

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The McNamera is busy like old times when between arrival and departure banks. Still no tram, which I have heard as a complaint from several people that have traveled through DTW lately.

The train isn't running? That's a pretty long terminal to have to walk if you're connections running tight.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 am

The team has been out of service since last March.
They are not actively using gates for arrivals and departures below ~A10 or above ~A70 and both of the sky clubs in the tram stations are still closed but with volumes up I am kind of surprised they didn’t restart it yet, at least during certain hours.

NCAD95

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 am

ASFlyer wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The train isn't running? That's a pretty long terminal to have to walk if you're connections running tight.

I never use the tram. There are moving sidewalks that do the job just fine. Not using the tram makes Detroit a safer place to connect in my opinion.

NCAD95

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:24 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
A couple random tid-bits for this evening:

DL A220-300s (223) are being regularly scheduled now on the DTW-Texas flights (DFW, IAH, AUS).
Previously these had been a mix of CR9, E75, 717, A221, 319 equipment. Most of DL's DTW-Texas flying is now A221/A223.

The cargo only DL DTW-BRU flight is now being flown with an A359 instead of an A332/A333.

I don't understand why they don't fly passengers on this flight as well. They could funnel all their BRU customers over Detroit and earn a bit more on the cargo flights.

goboeing

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:37 am

NCAD95 wrote:
I never use the tram. There are moving sidewalks that do the job just fine. Not using the tram makes Detroit a safer place to connect in my opinion.

Would you use the tram if you were in the last row of a full A321 parking at A70, and had a connecting flight departing out of A12 in 40 minutes?

Or would the moving sidewalks "do the job just fine" for the mile walk with people standing in the way.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 am

Meh, I've ridden the tram in DEN and its not a big deal. Nevermind that people are far more packed in closer for longer periods of time on the airplane itself, or if they use shuttle buses to get to/from offsite parking lots or rental car facilities. Not running the tram is purely a cost-savings move, which I do get to an extent. But, when you are allowing connections at the MCT of 30 minutes its a bit tight. I don't feel this pain since I'm usually beginning / ending a trip in DTW, but I get it. I assumed the tram would be back in March with the increase in flight volume and the increase in spring break / in-frequent travelers / increase in elderly people now traveling.

DTW-BRU operating as cargo I can only assume that its not worth the incremental cost to: staff the flights with a full compliment of FAs (direct wages and layover costs), cater the aircraft, clean/sanitize the aircraft, ground operations, lav servicing, etc to versus whatever revenue they may get. Not to mention, not familar with whatever border restrictions there are in BRU. There is no feed on the BRU end, versus the flights to AMS & CDG which are essentially hub-to-hub flights.

NCAD95

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:15 am

goboeing wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

Would you use the tram if you were in the last row of a full A321 parking at A70, and had a connecting flight departing out of A12 in 40 minutes?

Or would the moving sidewalks "do the job just fine" for the mile walk with people standing in the way.

Detroit is never that busy and yes I would still walk it.

NCAD95

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Meh, I've ridden the tram in DEN and its not a big deal. Nevermind that people are far more packed in closer for longer periods of time on the airplane itself, or if they use shuttle buses to get to/from offsite parking lots or rental car facilities. Not running the tram is purely a cost-savings move, which I do get to an extent. But, when you are allowing connections at the MCT of 30 minutes its a bit tight. I don't feel this pain since I'm usually beginning / ending a trip in DTW, but I get it. I assumed the tram would be back in March with the increase in flight volume and the increase in spring break / in-frequent travelers / increase in elderly people now traveling.

DTW-BRU operating as cargo I can only assume that its not worth the incremental cost to: staff the flights with a full compliment of FAs (direct wages and layover costs), cater the aircraft, clean/sanitize the aircraft, ground operations, lav servicing, etc to versus whatever revenue they may get. Not to mention, not familar with whatever border restrictions there are in BRU. There is no feed on the BRU end, versus the flights to AMS & CDG which are essentially hub-to-hub flights.

Yes but in the plane I am maybe 6 feet from a maximum of maybe 3 or 4 people in the tram there are quite few more people that are in my 6 feet area. So yes the tram is a way bigger risk than the plane itself. If you are allowing 30 minute connections then you should wait to close the gate until all transfer passengers have boarded. On Brussels that was what I was thinking but on the DTW end there are passengers that could connect but as you say the added coast may be prohibitive.

FlydetroitJets

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Sounds like Aer Lingus will be coming in this weekend. Flying STR-DUB-DTW

goboeing

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:53 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
goboeing wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:

Detroit is never that busy and yes I would still walk it.

Apparently you've confused "busy" with distance.

If you're in the back of an arriving plane you will burn at least 10-15 minutes just to get to the jetway and start walking.

Then you are a mile from your gates from one end of A to the other, to say nothing of the fact that you might need to go to/from the B gates and taking the tram to the center would obviously help.

So you might still walk it, and you might miss your flight.

The tram also frees up time for passengers to do things they want to do between flights, such as:
- Urinate
- Wash their hands in a real sink
- Fill up a water bottle
- Purchase food for their transcon because that's the only way they'll be able to eat a meal

The tram should have been running six months ago.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm

goboeing wrote:

If you're in the back of an arriving plane you will burn at least 10-15 minutes just to get to the jetway and start walking.

Then you are a mile from your gates from one end of A to the other, to say nothing of the fact that you might need to go to/from the B gates and taking the tram to the center would obviously help.

a.net has some dogs who just won't let go of a bone. (Yes, I'm DTW-based, very familiar with the length of concourse A, and have walked A2-A78. I know the deal.)

Just what fraction of passengers do you think are connecting, and of those, on a short connection, from the single-digit-A gates to the A70s? Probabilities put it low... very low. I would rather have the tram running than not (even though I almost never use it, even for DTW connections), but compared to the outside-of-security inter-concourse connection nonsense found at LAX, ORD or JFK, this is minor. Anybody can request a chair-assist. They won't leave you behind.

ASFlyer

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
goboeing wrote:

a.net has some dogs who just won't let go of a bone. (Yes, I'm DTW-based, very familiar with the length of concourse A, and have walked A2-A78. I know the deal.)

Just what fraction of passengers do you think are connecting, and of those, on a short connection, from the single-digit-A gates to the A70s? Probabilities put it low... very low. I would rather have the tram running than not (even though I almost never use it, even for DTW connections), but compared to the outside-of-security inter-concourse connection nonsense found at LAX, ORD or JFK, this is minor. Anybody can request a chair-assist. They won't leave you behind.

I agree, in the big scheme of things, the tram being out of service is really not that big of a deal. I do think the other poster not referenced in your post is making far too big a deal of whether or not the tram is "safe". Especially when people are getting on airplanes full of people and many other airports manage to use their trams. You're right though - the tram being out of service isn't a huge deal for the moment.

bkflyguy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:17 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Flew out of DTW tonight, the airport was busy in the Covid era for a Monday evening with all the inbound / returning spring break travel arriving in 7:30-8pm arrival bank.)

I was there on Tuesday night. A fair number of people for the evening bank.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:26 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
goboeing wrote:

I agree, in the big scheme of things, the tram being out of service is really not that big of a deal. I do think the other poster not referenced in your post is making far too big a deal of whether or not the tram is "safe". Especially when people are getting on airplanes full of people and many other airports manage to use their trams. You're right though - the tram being out of service isn't a huge deal for the moment.

Honestly, the percentage of restaurants in the airport still closed is a much bigger issue than the tram not running...
From my cold, dead hands

ASFlyer

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Honestly, the percentage of restaurants in the airport still closed is a much bigger issue than the tram not running...

I would agree. I haven't been to the Delta terminal in a few years but I always thought it was a beautiful terminal with a great selection of food venues and shops. If traffic is ramping up I hope they start opening up the shops and restaurants - especially if inflight services continue to be super limited.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos