Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gdavis003

Re: Delta Announces ANC-DTW/JFK/LAX, SLC-FAI

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:09 pm

tphuang wrote:
wow, this is quite an expansion into Alaska. I would imagine they'd do well at least in an environment where business traffic is down and people are looking for outdoor leisure.

Are there any Alaskan airport that AS serves but DL doesn't?

Plenty. DL only serves ANC, FAI, JNU, and KTN. AS probably serves about 20 or so airports in Alaska and is the lifeline for many of those communities.

runway23

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:09 pm

tphuang wrote:

You should have a look at AS’ route map there are many.

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm

I'm not sure what the industry plans on filling all these new flights to Alaska with. Cruises drive most of the lower 48-Alaska volume during the summer and they are not operating this year.

Rajahdhani

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Though admittedly not a DL "Fan Boy" - I can admit that this is a considerate move forward for Alaska, as far as DL is concerned.

Of the expansions, most are to the closest (and thus most logical) DL hubs.

A lack of P2P flying here speaks to a much more conventional approach, and while conservative - demonstrates where they see the greatest success, and a focus to commit to what they understand will work. This potentially bases a bedrock for future P2P flying, but based directly (or more concretely) on market demand and dynamics.

Fascinatingly, the A220 would be fully capable of all the flying (including the JFK, weekend runs), however I expect that Alaska's remoteness likely favors cargo - and DL is well equipped to handle that as well. For a start, or for future P2P starts, or for future routes - even starting at A220 chunk sizes, DL has the tools to grow.

Interestingly, these expansions were not to LAX.

One would assume, that if DL were purely out to 'send a message' - then we would be seeing further P2P and going after AS/AA on some of their hubs/key routes. Instead, DL is likely guarding against intrusion on their hub/key routes, early - and building marketshare. Not easy to do, with AS (and brand loyalty), but DL is coming to maturity here, in that they too, have a SEA hub - and a lot to offer. AS is advantaged, with a lower cost base (?), and greater local connectivity. All in all, greater competition and availability for the Alaskan, and those wishing to visit/travel. Here's to a great State, and greater ability to access to it.

Ishrion

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:16 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I'm not sure what the industry plans on filling all these new flights to Alaska with. Cruises drive most of the lower 48-Alaska volume during the summer and they are not operating this year.

Is cruise traffic really that impactful for Alaska demand? I assumed most people visited for parks and mountains, which aligns with airlines' strategies of targeting areas with open spaces.

NCAD95

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Hunting there are a lot of Wild Game hunters that go to Alaska. Plus I am sure there are land tours as well.

SESGDL

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
Though admittedly not a DL "Fan Boy" - I can admit that this is a considerate move forward for Alaska, as far as DL is concerned.

Of the expansions, most are to the closest (and thus most logical) DL hubs.

A lack of P2P flying here speaks to a much more conventional approach, and while conservative - demonstrates where they see the greatest success, and a focus to commit to what they understand will work. This potentially bases a bedrock for future P2P flying, but based directly (or more concretely) on market demand and dynamics.

Fascinatingly, the A220 would be fully capable of all the flying (including the JFK, weekend runs), however I expect that Alaska's remoteness likely favors cargo - and DL is well equipped to handle that as well. For a start, or for future P2P starts, or for future routes - even starting at A220 chunk sizes, DL has the tools to grow.

One would assume, that if DL were purely out to 'send a message' - then we would be seeing further P2P and going after AS/AA on some of their hubs/key routes. Instead, DL is likely guarding against intrusion on their hub/key routes, early - and building marketshare. Not easy to do, with AS (and brand loyalty), but DL is coming to maturity here, in that they too, have a SEA hub - and a lot to offer. AS is advantaged, with a lower cost base (?), and greater local connectivity. All in all, greater competition and availability for the Alaskan, and those wishing to visit/travel. Here's to a great State, and greater ability to access to it.

LAX-ANC was included in this announcement.

Jeremy

TWFlyGuy

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:20 pm

Alaska has opened vaccines to all over 16 I believe and int'l still seems like a challenge. So if you were planning a 6 hour flight somewhere, this isn't a bad option. You get to see some gorgeous national parks, nature, etc. Whale tours. Fresh air in open space is probably what a lot of people are looking for. Makes a lot of sense to me from that perspective.

Western727

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:24 pm

I'm thrilled to see the light at the end of the COVID tunnel grow brighter by the week.

Rajahdhani

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:28 pm

SESGDL wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:

LAX-ANC was included in this announcement.

Jeremy

Completely valid - and thanks for correcting me.

I did mean, though, that they could have expanded to more than just 'weekend' flying additions for LAX.

AS is non-stop, and daily - and as LAX is also a DL hub, there are advantages to potentially expanding, and the weekend flying may well expand further. If DL were being aggressive, they could go daily - from the onset, and slug it out against AS. Weekend flying is rather conservative, and considerate - considering where they are, and what they are hoping to achieve.

klm617

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Good to see DTW-ANC being re-added it's long overdue

AC4500

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:35 pm

It's a shame that they're not going to re-add PDX-ANC.

DLASFlyer

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:44 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Most Alaska cruises don't start or end in Alaska.

OzarkD9S

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:

Round trip, no. But friends of mine flew into FAI a couple of years ago, made their scenic way down to ANC and cruised the inside passage to Vancouver or Seattle (can't recall) and flew back.

SurfandSnow

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm

I wonder if Alaska's nation-leading vaccination efforts are spurring interest in travel to the state? Even though all of this is probably just a service resumption for DL, it will be interesting to see if AS has any response.

Also, will WN finally decide to start flying to Alaska this summer? WN sure does have an awful lot of FFers and hub connectivity in places like DAL, DEN, LAS, MDW and OAK...

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:54 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Alot of people only do one-way as they don't have two-weeks of vacation to use.

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:58 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Hunting there are a lot of Wild Game hunters that go to Alaska. Plus I am sure there are land tours as well.

Hunting takes place in Sep and Oct, after most of these new flights have ended.

NCAD95

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:59 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

That's not true most end or start at ANC and YVR

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:03 pm

Ishrion wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Is cruise traffic really that impactful for Alaska demand? I assumed most people visited for parks and mountains, which aligns with airlines' strategies of targeting areas with open spaces.

Cruise passengers make up 60% of summer visitors according to this report,
https://www.alaskatia.org/wp-content/up ... 7_1_20.pdf

DeltaRules

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 pm

What's the breakdown of metal used on these flights? The News Hub story says "mainline aircraft like the 737-900", but DTW/JFK-ANC would be a heck of a haul for a 739, wouldn't they? (ATL-ANC is a 763).

SESGDL

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
What's the breakdown of metal used on these flights? The News Hub story says "mainline aircraft like the 737-900", but DTW/JFK-ANC would be a heck of a haul for a 739, wouldn't they? (ATL-ANC is a 763).

I'd guess the majority of DTW/LAX/MSP/SLC/JFK adds will be on 757s.

Jeremy

BN727227Ultra

Re: Delta to cut focus city network down to RDU & AUS

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm

One thing DL can do is make AUS an A220 base. LAX, SEA and NYC are all in the A220s wheelhouse and ATL /DTW/MSP/SLC work, too.

Will AA counter with A321s? Or run 319s and 175s and hope no one notices?

maps4ltd

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:42 pm

There needs to be a total list of major route announcements in 2021 so far. It's been dizzying.

maps4ltd

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Delta has announced nonstop ANC to DTW, JFK, and LAX, and FAI to SLC. More info here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1458695

NCAD95

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:48 pm

kavok wrote:
It will be interesting for sure.

In the near term, I don’t expect DL will back down on AUS, SEA, LAX, BOS, etc. just because AA/AS/B6 is fighting back. That all being said, it is worth noting that all of these “battles” are still situations where DL is still on the offensive, and where DL is fighting to gain market share from a place that tended to favor a competitor. While exciting, the recently announced adds by AA at AUS are still effectively a defensive move. DL may win, AA may win... but either way the battle is being fought on AA/B6/AS territory.

My question is, at any point to do the tables get turned and someone decides to challenge DL on DL territory? Part of the reason DL has been able to go on the offensive is that their hubs are pretty much never challenged. In addition, DL also has many unofficial “focus areas” (avoiding focus cities term) that l, due to the proximity of a DL hub, are able to function as basically midsize markets that travelers tend to favor DL, even if they don’t have flights to non-DL hubs and thus qualify as DL focus cities. Places like IND, MKE, MCO, TPA, etc. come to mind as “Delta cities” even though officially they are not. At some point will AA or UA go on the offensive in places that historically favor DL?

I think if anyone can challenge Delta on it's own turf it's AA at Detroit. American has always had a decent presence in the Detroit market. DTW-LAX and DTW-LHR could easily work. Through the pandemic in my opinion they have performed pretty strongly in DTW with I think only MIA. LGA and DCA temporarily being cut. Would be nice to see them make a bit of a power play in Detroit.

ILNFlyer

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:08 pm

looks like another DL 763 returning to service in the network. N174DN just left ILN for ATL. She has been in storage at ILN for some time.
https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL9938/271094b5

BoeingGuy

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:09 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
There needs to be a total list of major route announcements in 2021 so far. It's been dizzying.

I was also just thinking that. Aviation had gone dead during the pandemic. Now it’s expanding like wildfire. Everyday there is some kind of new domestic route announcement. You never know what is going to added next. I never in a million years would have expected the likes of BOI-AUS, SEA-RDD, SJC-MSO, etc. In fact, these DL adds are less surprising than some.

FATFlyer

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:11 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

The cruise companies are announcing an increased focus on land tour only packages this year. Instead of cruise/land tour packages they will sell only the land portion. Additionally there appears to be an uptick in independent travelers due to international travel concerns/limits.

With cruise ship travel to Alaska still in question this summer, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises said they will offer land-only tours of the state using their network of lodging and tour assets.

Both cruise lines have been offering Alaska land tours for decades utilizing the Princess Alaska Lodges, Holland America Line Westmark Hotels and Gray Line Alaska tours. Their Alaska cruisetours have long combined a cruise with either a pre- or post-cruise tour.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Cruise-lines-offer-land-only-tours-in-Alaska

Even if Congress does not suspend the U.S. Passenger Vessel Services Act or Canada does not allow even technical stops to work around cabotage, the larger cruise/tour companies are expecting visitors.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:24 pm

SESGDL wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

I'd guess the majority of DTW/LAX/MSP/SLC/JFK adds will be on 757s.

Jeremy

The press release speaks to the larger state of Alaska service announcement, not just DTW/JFK/LAX. They contrast that with

Service to KTN and SIT will be operated by Delta Connection carrier SkyWest Airlines on Embraer 175 aircraft. All flights to JNU, KTN and SIT will feature First Class, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin service and Wi-Fi available on board.

757s would be logical. They will certainly have widebodies available this summer if advance sales are strong and they want to upgauge.

formeraa

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:28 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Agreed! Are Alaska tour companies ramping up for alot of non-cruise business this summer? I haven't seen any particular emphasis or outreach to potential customers.

flyguy1

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:29 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
looks like another DL 763 returning to service in the network. N174DN just left ILN for ATL. She has been in storage at ILN for some time.
https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL9938/271094b5

Yes, and N1605 is back now also. It flew MCI-JFK a few days ago, and is now operating revenue flights.

FSDan

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:31 pm

tphuang wrote:

Off the top of my head:
SCC
BRW
OTZ
OME
BET
DLG
AKN
ADK
ADQ
CDV
YAK
GST
WRG
PSG

Most of those are served from ANC rather than from the mainland (with PSG and WRG being exceptions - there's a SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU milk run IIRC). Pre-pandemic, AS was around 50 flights a day from ANC in the summer months, with about 20 of those to SEA.

EBiafore99

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:39 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
kavok wrote:
It will be interesting for sure.

In the near term, I don’t expect DL will back down on AUS, SEA, LAX, BOS, etc. just because AA/AS/B6 is fighting back. That all being said, it is worth noting that all of these “battles” are still situations where DL is still on the offensive, and where DL is fighting to gain market share from a place that tended to favor a competitor. While exciting, the recently announced adds by AA at AUS are still effectively a defensive move. DL may win, AA may win... but either way the battle is being fought on AA/B6/AS territory.

My question is, at any point to do the tables get turned and someone decides to challenge DL on DL territory? Part of the reason DL has been able to go on the offensive is that their hubs are pretty much never challenged. In addition, DL also has many unofficial “focus areas” (avoiding focus cities term) that l, due to the proximity of a DL hub, are able to function as basically midsize markets that travelers tend to favor DL, even if they don’t have flights to non-DL hubs and thus qualify as DL focus cities. Places like IND, MKE, MCO, TPA, etc. come to mind as “Delta cities” even though officially they are not. At some point will AA or UA go on the offensive in places that historically favor DL?

I think if anyone can challenge Delta on it's own turf it's AA at Detroit. American has always had a decent presence in the Detroit market. DTW-LAX and DTW-LHR could easily work. Through the pandemic in my opinion they have performed pretty strongly in DTW with I think only MIA. LGA and DCA temporarily being cut. Would be nice to see them make a bit of a power play in Detroit.

Prior to the pandemic, AA had a decent operation out of DTW (stats for July 2019):
6x - CLT
3x - DCA
6x - DTW
5x - LGA
2x - MIA
7x - ORD
5x - PHL
2x - PHX
I get that that this number of flights does not indicate a hub operation. However, it does indicate AA has a decent base here in DTW. If they wanted to, I could see AA expanding on this. Add LAX, more SEA with AS, etc. Maybe pick up some high volume leisure markets (CUN, FLL, MCO, etc.)

Bigant0408

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm

maps4ltd wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I keep loosing track of who announced what. I'm happy things are in the right direction

ContinentalEWR

Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:58 pm

tphuang wrote:
wow, this is quite an expansion into Alaska. I would imagine they'd do well at least in an environment where business traffic is down and people are looking for outdoor leisure.

It's a lot of capacity for a market that usually thrives on cruise traffic, which won't be in place this summer. Alaska will likely draw tourism, but it is not an easily navigable place without organized tour groups. My bet is some of these flights will end earlier than announced. Alaska is not a place where you fly into ANC or FAI and rent a car and drive around for 10 days easily.

joeblow10

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:09 pm

Lol - everytime there is a post about new routes or expanded service into Alaska everybody always goes right to “but the cruise traffic” and “why would people even go”

Alaska in the summertime has virtually unlimited demand - there are a large swath of people who love outdoor vacations and would go at the right price. As an example, DL and SY have run MSP-ANC 5-6x daily between the two of them (before COVID) - planes were always full.

Once again - to address the cruise fanatics, those usually start south and work into Alaska. The amount of people starting in Whittier and working their way down is relatively small

ty97

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:16 pm

Glad to see DL join the group of announcements and try something. That's a lot of Alaska flights!

I had actually been thinking of (finally) going to Alaska this summer.....

ytib

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:22 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Lol - everytime there is a post about new routes or expanded service into Alaska everybody always goes right to “but the cruise traffic” and “why would people even go”

Alaska in the summertime has virtually unlimited demand - there are a large swath of people who love outdoor vacations and would go at the right price. As an example, DL and SY have run MSP-ANC 5-6x daily between the two of them (before COVID) - planes were always full.

Once again - to address the cruise fanatics, those usually start south and work into Alaska. The amount of people starting in Whittier and working their way down is relatively small

Exactly! Flights to ANC are not dependent on cruise traffic, people will rent cars and there is plenty for two weeks just in that area. From the Kenai peninsula, Denali, Fairbanks and so forth. There are not many cruises which even go to Seward or Whittier.

It is Southeast Alaska which will get hit with the non-cruise traffic this season since you can't drive there unless you jump on AMHS. With that said, SEA and YVR flights will be impacted for Alaska cruise traffic. While there is an effort for an exemption to PVSA through Feb 28, 2022 as part of the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act. This limitation only impacts the large non-US registered ships.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 pm

So many people are going to fly to Alaska this summer.
Last edited by 32andBelow on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:32 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Cruise people usually do an overland portion before or after. All of that stuff will be available still.

The overland portions are way better anyways.

tphuang

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:48 pm

FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Off the top of my head:
SCC
BRW
OTZ
OME
BET
DLG
AKN
ADK
ADQ
CDV
YAK
GST
WRG
PSG

Most of those are served from ANC rather than from the mainland (with PSG and WRG being exceptions - there's a SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU milk run IIRC). Pre-pandemic, AS was around 50 flights a day from ANC in the summer months, with about 20 of those to SEA.

I'd imagine AS does very well on those flights in summer time.

It would seem to me that if DL wants to put further pressure on AS, they might have to also start flying to some of the smaller Alaskan airport (either from SEA or ANC). I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work.

dfw88

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:59 pm

tphuang wrote:

It would seem to me that if DL wants to put further pressure on AS, they might have to also start flying to some of the smaller Alaskan airport (either from SEA or ANC). I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work.

Most of those airports that were listed don't support "normal" flights. Many of them exist so that the small Alaskan communities, most of which are not on any sort of road system, can have a connection to Anchorage. Also, many of the small bush operators will pick up passengers from these towns and take them into even more remote towns. These flights haul tons of supplies out to the villages and lots of people who need to go to town for a bigger hospital or better school, or things of that sort. They're not frequented by tourists (that's not to say there aren't any tourists, just not a ton to most of them) or businesspeople (unless you count the state government, I guess, and oil field workers to a few, like SCC). As a result, they do "well" year-round, where "well" is an admittedly ambiguous term. On top of that, there's enormous loyalty for AS in many of these towns. As a result of the above factors, DL stands absolutely no chance at making the vast majority of them work at all. Maybe one or two could support an extra tourist flight in the summer, but that's about it, and it's pretty doubtful.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 pm

dfw88 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Most of those airports that were listed don't support "normal" flights. Many of them exist so that the small Alaskan communities, most of which are not on any sort of road system, can have a connection to Anchorage. Also, many of the small bush operators will pick up passengers from these towns and take them into even more remote towns. These flights haul tons of supplies out to the villages and lots of people who need to go to town for a bigger hospital or better school, or things of that sort. They're not frequented by tourists (that's not to say there aren't any tourists, just not a ton to most of them) or businesspeople (unless you count the state government, I guess, and oil field workers to a few, like SCC). As a result, they do "well" year-round, where "well" is an admittedly ambiguous term. On top of that, there's enormous loyalty for AS in many of these towns. As a result of the above factors, DL stands absolutely no chance at making the vast majority of them work at all. Maybe one or two could support an extra tourist flight in the summer, but that's about it, and it's pretty doubtful.

Some of those places have wilderness lodges. AKN and DLG has a lot of commercial fishing. CDB is the gateway to Dutch harbor now. But yes not viable for mass tourism.

I think there’s opportunity for Alaska to try something lime ADQ-SEA on an e175.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:25 pm

A.net enjoys over analyzing everything. The government is projecting that it's possible normality will largely return by the traditional peak summer period. Americans are eager to get out of the house; smart phone data shows that people are leaving the house more often (sans work) than they were before COVID. Savings rates are at a historical high, and another government check is about to arrive in the mailbox. There are signs people are eager to travel -- when the frigid air crippled much of the country, bookings swelled. I noticed that the $39-$59 fares DL had been perpetually offering from LAX for months pretty quickly disappeared. And when I picked up a relative last Thursday, the airport was the busiest I've seen since last March (even occupancy in the parking garages is in the high 90s).

Let's keep this simple: there is strong evidence that people are eager to travel and some degree of normality will return by summer. With international travel likely to be restricted (even if it's de facto, due to safety perceptions), domestic travel will be booming. Hence the reason DL added this service -- basically, they're betting that Alaska will be a hot spot this summer.

stl07

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:01 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Which is precisely why these flights are smart. Cruise traffic to Alaska has passengers taking flights to SEA, LAX/SFO, and YVR. Now these pepole want to go straight to Alaska

stl07

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
A.net enjoys over analyzing everything. The government is projecting that it's possible normality will largely return by the traditional peak summer period. Americans are eager to get out of the house; smart phone data shows that people are leaving the house more often (sans work) than they were before COVID. Savings rates are at a historical high, and another government check is about to arrive in the mailbox. There are signs people are eager to travel -- when the frigid air crippled much of the country, bookings swelled. I noticed that the $39-$59 fares DL had been perpetually offering from LAX for months pretty quickly disappeared. And when I picked up a relative last Thursday, the airport was the busiest I've seen since last March (even occupancy in the parking garages is in the high 90s).

Let's keep this simple: there is strong evidence that people are eager to travel and some degree of normality will return by summer. With international travel likely to be restricted (even if it's de facto, due to safety perceptions), domestic travel will be booming. Hence the reason DL added this service -- basically, they're betting that Alaska will be a hot spot this summer.

Its been crazy seeing the fares out of LAX skyrocket in the past few weeks

hiflyeras

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:03 pm

So many experts on the cruise industry. My favorite post contained the fact that 60% of Alaska visitors in the summer are on a cruise. These people will NOT be flying up to Alaska just to see the sights. A huge part of the reason for taking a cruise is the beauty of seeing the Inside Passage, collapsing glaciers, the small towns along the way. Many cruise passengers WILL do an add-on to FAI and Denali as part of their cruise and those are the only people that will be drawn to Alaska this year. In no way will they come close to making up a 60% loss in visitors. Just renting a car and doing it on your own isn't easy as previously stated...you're driving vast distances with little to offer as far as lodging or amenities. I predict a lot of empty seats on all of these new adds by DL, etc.

panamair

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 pm

Looks like JFK-ACC is being an upgauged to an A333 starting next month; it has always been a 763 or a 764 since the start of service.

FATFlyer

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:24 pm

I see two distinct breaks.

Southeast Alaska/Inland Passage cities will have a tough time if there are no cruises. It is unlikely there would be a large tourist influx flying in and spending several days in Juneau or Ketchikan or Sitka, etc to replace lost cruise passenger dollars.

Other parts of the state may be able to recover a decent percentage of visitors. Princess, Holland America, Grey Line, etc are gearing up to sell the land packages normally sold only to cruise passengers. There is a tourist infrastructure and marketing system that may reach tourists looking for a place to travel to this year.
https://www.anchoragepress.com/bulletin/experience-alaska-land-vacations-this-summer-with-holland-america-line-and-princess-cruises/article_45173b96-812c-11eb-85b3-a350964a023e.html

I do find it interesting that new flights this year to take visitors to Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. don't seem to garner the same reactions as Alaska.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:32 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Alaska in the summertime has virtually unlimited demand - there are a large swath of people who love outdoor vacations and would go at the right price.

And that's the problem. Demand gets capped by price - and the primary cost isn't the airline ticket, it's a week of lodging, availability of which has not meaningfully expanded. The number of hotel rooms is about 25K statewide. Las Vegas has about 150K. New Hampshire - all 9,349 sq miles of it, smaller than two of Alaska's national parks - has about 25K rooms.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos