Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

knope2001

Re: DL adds a slew of new and returning leisure routes for the summer

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:58 am

evank516 wrote:
A lot of routes were also downgauged during the pandemic from mainline to RJs. I’m starting to wonder when we will see some of those routes go back to mainline? Some that I noticed are DTW-ORD/MKE/MCI and MSP-ORD/MKE/MCI. I noticed places like FAR and BIS started to see 1-2 mainline frequencies return from MSP in the last month or so.

I think the answer is when business travel recovers. Leisure has significantly recovered and at smaller airports like FAR and BIS the mainline carrier has a good chunk of that leisure segment. At bigger airports like ORD, MKE and MCI there are ample nonstop flights to most of the best-recovered markets, and DTW and MSP are not the best connecting points for that flow anyway.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:06 am

flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
The new DTW-JAC service is a 757, seems a little too big for a thin market.

Do they need the runway performance? JAC is high and the runway isn’t super long.
I'd assume it's performance, but wouldn't the A319 have been a better fit?

So much of the connecting traffic into JAC is hub-agnostic. They can easily divert flow/feed over DTW versus what historically flowed over MSP & SLC.
The DTW-JAC flight is an 8:30am departure out of DTW so it hits the big morning departure bank.
Also may depend a bit on aircraft availability / crew routining, etc. As there are actually more 752 in service currently and A319.
Also DTW no longer has a 7ER pilot base, so the 757 flying is being done by crews from another base. Its very possible there is a tail swap/crew swap in JAC with the ATL-JAC flight.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am

knope2001 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
A lot of routes were also downgauged during the pandemic from mainline to RJs. I’m starting to wonder when we will see some of those routes go back to mainline? Some that I noticed are DTW-ORD/MKE/MCI and MSP-ORD/MKE/MCI. I noticed places like FAR and BIS started to see 1-2 mainline frequencies return from MSP in the last month or so.

I think the answer is when business travel recovers. Leisure has significantly recovered and at smaller airports like FAR and BIS the mainline carrier has a good chunk of that leisure segment. At bigger airports like ORD, MKE and MCI there are ample nonstop flights to most of the best-recovered markets, and DTW and MSP are not the best connecting points for that flow anyway.

Yep. For the point mentioned above.

The are using the CR9/E75s to maintain frequency to the hub connecting banks. As demand recovers, and its particularly lagging in business heavy routes, upgauging, and additional capacity will return.

deltatrav

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:33 pm

Anyone envision a chance of Cairo resuming? Air Canada is about to start and the market used to be quite busy (JFK had Egyptair, AA and Delta). Leaving Cairo during the daytime instead of 1am would be great

Varsity1

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:36 pm

deltatrav wrote:
Anyone envision a chance of Cairo resuming? Air Canada is about to start and the market used to be quite busy (JFK had Egyptair, AA and Delta). Leaving Cairo during the daytime instead of 1am would be great

AA has never flown JFK-CAI.

audidudi

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Interesting to see that DL is restarting flights to GCM beginning June 5...there has been no announcement from the Cayman Islands about reopening the islands to tourism yet...maybe DL knows something that hasn't been announced yet!

NCAD95

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:07 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Yep. For the point mentioned above.

The are using the CR9/E75s to maintain frequency to the hub connecting banks. As demand recovers, and its particularly lagging in business heavy routes, upgauging, and additional capacity will return.

But they are not being used to keep up frequency they are being used to reduce capacity.

NCAD95

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm

knope2001 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Why are Detroit and Minneapolis not good connecting points.

deltairlines

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:58 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

They're not great connecting markets for leisure-oriented destinations. Most of the US leisure scene is in the Rockies or in the South. For places like ORD, MKE, MCI to get to Florida, you'd be heading a bit out of the way before turning south (going to DTW can make some sense from some cities but not an MCI). MSP can work somewhat for the Rockies (especially Montana) but DTW wouldn't make sense (again, most people aren't going to do MKE-DTW-DEN).

SESGDL

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm

deltairlines wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

They're not great connecting markets for leisure-oriented destinations. Most of the US leisure scene is in the Rockies or in the South. For places like ORD, MKE, MCI to get to Florida, you'd be heading a bit out of the way before turning south (going to DTW can make some sense from some cities but not an MCI). MSP can work somewhat for the Rockies (especially Montana) but DTW wouldn't make sense (again, most people aren't going to do MKE-DTW-DEN).

But leisure oriented travel isn't just for visiting tourist destinations. A huge part of leisure travel is people visiting friends and family or returning to a place with some type of past connection. Not all leisure travel will remain focused on the South and the Rockies - travel will return to the coasts and the Midwest, where the aforementioned travel will help to boost MSP and DTW back to their former capacity levels.

Jeremy

lat41

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:24 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
319s have been the dominant airplane at JAC for a number of years now on everything from SLC to BOS, CLT and DFW.

Cool to see Delta will send up to 3 757s a day this summer. They are the last 757 operator left of many once at JAC.

I’ve been joking that JAC is going to be the new LaGuardia. Waited an hour for a gate yesterday and tons more planes are coming this summer.

Great for aviation, air travel and the economy, but I hope the area doesn't get too people polluted and overdeveloped as some spots around the country have.

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:39 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Crazy that little JAC will have nonstop service to every Delta hub except NYC. I assume DTW will be on an A319 and SEA on an E175. We'll see tomorrow.

Good example of "flight services follow dollars, not people."

JAC, ASE= plenty of dollars.

dcajet

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
deltatrav wrote:

AA has never flown JFK-CAI.

Probably referring to TWA...
Keep calm and wash your hands.

evank516

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:52 pm

deltairlines wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

I guess that makes sense. But April 1 spells the end of the domestic travel quarantine for New York, so people may start going back and visiting again. Granted LGA-MCI is back so I suppose that takes care of that. I assume we will see these routes be upgauged again sometime soon though. MCI-MSP/DTW, for example was predominantly mainline pre-COVID.

rjbesikof

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 pm

Do you think DL would add more routes to South America since that region seems to be more open than other areas? Maybe things like ATL-GYE, LAX-GRU?

TTailedTiger

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Do you think DL would add more routes to South America since that region seems to be more open than other areas? Maybe things like ATL-GYE, LAX-GRU?

Haven't they tried LAX-GRU at least 5-6 times? Fails every time.

Ishrion

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 am

rjbesikof wrote:

Delta currently has ATL-GYE suspended and recently applied to renew authority to operate the route: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 23526-0033

With the impending LATAM JV, they'll likely expand in South America either way. AA has exited LAX-GRU, which could be an opportunity for Delta. It looks like they last served it in 2010.

rjbesikof

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 am

Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

Delta currently has ATL-GYE suspended and recently applied to renew authority to operate the route: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 23526-0033

With the impending LATAM JV, they'll likely expand in South America either way. AA has exited LAX-GRU, which could be an opportunity for Delta. It looks like they last served it in 2010.

Ishrion, that's smart that they are giving another go at ATL-GYE, especially with Ecuador now welcoming vaccinated tourists. When will they announce a launch date?

rjbesikof

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:11 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

Ishrion

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

Ishrion, that's smart that they are giving another go at ATL-GYE, especially with Ecuador now welcoming vaccinated tourists. When will they announce a launch date?

The application says Delta's ATL-GYE authority would expire on February 27, 2021 if not renewed. It looks like the DOT hasn't renewed it yet, so a launch date will depend on that.

alohashirts

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 am

I think if SLC ever gets a South America flight with help from the LATAM JV, it will be to LIM and not GRU. LIM was a specific route that was mentioned back in 2019 that SLC was trying to get.

FSDan

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:11 am

rjbesikof wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

Those make no sense either based on O&D traffic or geography-driven connecting potential. If LAX-GRU is dicey (and history shows that it is), every other market west of Texas is even less likely to work.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

HVNandrew

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:25 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I think it was only tried once, on a 763 from around 2008/2009-2010. GRU was also tried from MIA more recently.

NCAD95

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm

FSDan wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

Those make no sense either based on O&D traffic or geography-driven connecting potential. If LAX-GRU is dicey (and history shows that it is), every other market west of Texas is even less likely to work.

We are more likely to see DTW-GRU come back

Polot

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 pm

SLC-GRU is longer than SLC-Asia, which DL could not make work (NRT). It’s not going to happen.

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

We are more likely to see DTW-GRU come back

P approaches zero on both, with Ford discontinuing Brazilian manufacturing ops. Stick a fork in it.

Sightseer

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:15 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
GRU was also tried from MIA more recently.

DL has never flown MIA-GRU. Perhaps you're thinking of DTW-GRU or MIA-LHR?

TTailedTiger

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:32 pm

Sightseer wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:

DL tried MCO-GRU a few years ago.

HVNandrew

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:08 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:

DL tried MCO-GRU a few years ago.

Yup, that's it; sorry my mistake. And I believe they ran an MD-88 from MIA up to MCO to feed the GRU flight.

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:00 am

Is DL doing any domestic 350 and 330 (neo or ceo) runs?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

deltal1011man

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

or once.

granted without the axe to grind, LAX-GRU has basically been a huge failure. Very long flight that just doesn't have the yields to make it work. Much better to drive the traffic over Texas, Atlanta and Florida

I will say, if anyone could do it, United via SFO will the Azul partnership might work.

N776AU

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:51 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Flew an A330-200 and -300 Atlanta-Minneapolis and back a couple weeks ago. Based on my observation of the aircraft I flew, they were also flying MSP-PHX, ATL-SLC, and ATL-SEA (probably among others, but those are the ones I noticed).
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Not sure about A350s but A330s are flying around the system domestically, between hubs, and to non-hubs as well. Some examples I've seen are ATL-JFK, ATL-MSP, MSP-PHX, and so forth. Looks like some FLL stuff is also seeing A330s here and there, at least in Feb and early March.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:06 pm

A350s are not doing any scheduled domestic service, other than the occasional on-off reposition flights. There is usually a reposition flight about once a week between LAX-ATL/DTW to rotate out the aircraft flying LAX-SYD since there is no other A359 LAX flying at this time. They are running the A350s through a mod line in MSP. They are doing TPAC, TATL, some cargo-only, and the occasional military charter.

DTW-HND
DTW-ICN
DTW-AMS
DTW-ICN-PVG (swaps with A339 some days)
DTW-BRU cargo-only
ATL-HND
ATL-ICN
ATL-AMS
ATL-CDG
LAX-SYD

The 8 A339s that have been delivered only doing TPAC and TATL, primarily from SEA & JFK. A339s are on the following routes:
SEA-ICN
SEA-AMS
SEA-HND
DTW-ICN-PVG (swaps with A359 some days)
JFK-AMS
JFK-TLV

A333s that are in service are primarily doing TATL routes or South America routes. There is limited domestic routes, but not much.
There are occasional one-off repositions between JFK-ATL, and the occasional up-gauges on Florida routes out of ATL on peak days/weekends/flights.
The B763 and B764s are also doing this as well.
Current A333 domestic flying:
MSP-PHX
MSP-MCO
ATL-MSP
ATL-PHX
ATL-SLC
SLC-HNL

Only 6 of 11 A332s are in service, but they just pulled another one out of storage on Monday. The A332s are only doing domestic service at this time, and at pretty low utilization rates.
Current A332 domestic flying:
ATL-MSP
ATL-SEA
ATL-SLC
SEA-HNL

Seat1F

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
A350s are not doing any scheduled domestic service, other than the occasional on-off reposition flights. There is usually a reposition flight about once a week between LAX-ATL/DTW to rotate out the aircraft flying LAX-SYD since there is no other A359 LAX flying at this time.

The A359 is doing 2 x daily flights between DTW and LAX (both directions) on weekdays between now and the end of April. No A350 service on weekends however. In May, it seems to change to 1 x daily and only eastbound on LAX-DTW. So its a great opportunity to do a domestic A359 flight for the next few months.

SunsetLimited

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Seat1F wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
A350s are not doing any scheduled domestic service, other than the occasional on-off reposition flights. There is usually a reposition flight about once a week between LAX-ATL/DTW to rotate out the aircraft flying LAX-SYD since there is no other A359 LAX flying at this time.

The A359 is doing 2 x daily flights between DTW and LAX (both directions) on weekdays between now and the end of April. No A350 service on weekends however. In May, it seems to change to 1 x daily and only eastbound on LAX-DTW. So its a great opportunity to do a domestic A359 flight for the next few months.

Yep, I snagged an ATL-LAX-DTW routing in mid May on a couple of A359’s. It’s always exciting to add a new aircraft type to your list.
Spread hope like fire.

MIflyer12

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Seat1F wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

ITA Matrix doesn't show them in the schedule 3/25, 26, 29, 30 or 31. Unless we're operating with a different definition of 'now' these appear to start 1 April.

Delta350

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:34 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
A350s are not doing any scheduled domestic service, other than the occasional on-off reposition flights. There is usually a reposition flight about once a week between LAX-ATL/DTW to rotate out the aircraft flying LAX-SYD since there is no other A359 LAX flying at this time. They are running the A350s through a mod line in MSP. They are doing TPAC, TATL, some cargo-only, and the occasional military charter.

DTW-HND
DTW-ICN
DTW-AMS
DTW-ICN-PVG (swaps with A339 some days)
DTW-BRU cargo-only
ATL-HND
ATL-ICN
ATL-AMS
ATL-CDG
LAX-SYD

The 8 A339s that have been delivered only doing TPAC and TATL, primarily from SEA & JFK. A339s are on the following routes:
SEA-ICN
SEA-AMS
SEA-HND
DTW-ICN-PVG (swaps with A359 some days)
JFK-AMS
JFK-TLV

A333s that are in service are primarily doing TATL routes or South America routes. There is limited domestic routes, but not much.
There are occasional one-off repositions between JFK-ATL, and the occasional up-gauges on Florida routes out of ATL on peak days/weekends/flights.
The B763 and B764s are also doing this as well.
Current A333 domestic flying:
MSP-PHX
MSP-MCO
ATL-MSP
ATL-PHX
ATL-SLC
SLC-HNL

Only 6 of 11 A332s are in service, but they just pulled another one out of storage on Monday. The A332s are only doing domestic service at this time, and at pretty low utilization rates.
Current A332 domestic flying:
ATL-MSP
ATL-SEA
ATL-SLC
SEA-HNL

Don't forget in April they'll do SLC-ATL flights
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)

Seat1F

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

ITA Matrix doesn't show them in the schedule 3/25, 26, 29, 30 or 31. Unless we're operating with a different definition of 'now' these appear to start 1 April.

You are right and I stand corrected. They aren't in the schedule for the rest of March but then do reappear in April as 2 x on weekdays (although April 1 seems to have only one flight with the A350). Thanks for catching that.

twicearound

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

I could see BOS-GRU before SLC.

rjbesikof

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:14 pm

twicearound wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

Prior to the pandemic, LATAM did BOS-GRU. Wonder if they will bring that back,

jbs2886

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
twicearound wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What about SEA/SLC-GRU?

Did LATAM do LAX-GRU? I thought so, but may be wrong. If anything, that makes more sense than DL.

Caymanair

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:11 am

audidudi wrote:
Interesting to see that DL is restarting flights to GCM beginning June 5...there has been no announcement from the Cayman Islands about reopening the islands to tourism yet...maybe DL knows something that hasn't been announced yet!

Seems they do! The allowances until the end of May are as follows:

MIA - 2x weekly on KX
KIN - 1x weekly on KX
LCE - 1x monthly on KX
LHR - 2x monthly on BA

Plus private jets.

FSDan

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:09 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
twicearound wrote:

Did LATAM do LAX-GRU? I thought so, but may be wrong. If anything, that makes more sense than DL.

They did not. AA was the only airline flying LAX-GRU over the last few years, I believe 4x weekly on the 789.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Midwestindy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 pm

Ending seat blocking May 1st, expects summer ASMs down 15-20% vs 2019

"Ed Bastian, said that a survey of those who flew Delta in 2019 found that nearly 65 percent expected to have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine by May 1"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/busi ... -year.html
ORD & IND

AA & DL

DMPHL

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:46 pm

FSDan wrote:

They did not. AA was the only airline flying LAX-GRU over the last few years, I believe 4x weekly on the 789.

Used to be daily on the 789 until late 2018, when it went to (I believe) 3x weekly as AA added LAX-EZE 4x weekly.

ckfred

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:50 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
ckfred wrote:
I scratch my head at carriers flying to TVC from the likes of BOS and LGA. I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life, so towns around Traverse City and Mackinaw Island are popular with people from Chicago. I also went to college in Ann Arbor. So that part of Michigan is popular with people living in the Detroit area, as well as Cleveland. But, the people I knew in college from New York and Washington said that people in the Northeast either go to New England, Upstate New York, the Jersey Shore, or towns on the coast in the Carolinas, like Hilton Head, Nag's Head, or Myrtle Beach. Resort areas on either side of Lake Michigan simply aren't on the radar of people from Boston, New York, Philly, and Washington.

Why would you scratch you head. The TVC area is one of the richest summer tourist regions in the country with so much to do. It has one of the world's most beautiful beach's close by and airlines have been operating TVC-NYC now for years. It kills me just because it's Michigan that people see it as some backwoods summer destination that only people who want to go camping would even consider Michigan for their summer plans. Not to mention Mackinac Islands. This summer again there are river cruise on the great lakes and a very hefty price I might add. I scratch my head wonder why people want to vacation in LA, NYC and Chicago.

I know that there is money in the TVC area, although it seems that Chicago money have their summer homes in Lake Geneva, Green Lake, or Door County, because those are reasonable drives on Friday and Sunday evenings.

But, I knew some fairly wealthy people from New York, when I was in college, and their attitude about Michigan, outside of the Detroit metro area and Ann Arbor, was that Michigan was the backwoods, when compared to Vermont and New Hampshire.

Of course, people from New York think Chicago is a backwater town. But, as UA used to say in their ads back in the 1990s, the only museums with more French Impressionist art than the Art Institute are in France.

BAINY3

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 pm

DL will resume MSP-XWA (Williston ND) on June 5. Not very surprising since oil prices have rebounded and that's generally what drives the economy in that area.

Flights have been loaded are bookable now. Looks like the schedule is daily on a CRJ2.

MSP-XWA 1025A-1209P CR2 daily
XWA-MSP 1250P-245P CR2 daily

AZORMP

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
DL will resume MSP-XWA (Williston ND) on June 5. Not very surprising since oil prices have rebounded and that's generally what drives the economy in that area.

Flights have been loaded are bookable now. Looks like the schedule is daily on a CRJ2.

My DL friends tell me that the schedule available to them right now is only thru June 4. Anything after has not been changed and should be considered inaccurate.
Kalamazoo’s Radio Man

The RJ2 sucks.

maps4ltd

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:56 pm

AZORMP wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:

My DL friends tell me that the schedule available to them right now is only thru June 4. Anything after has not been changed and should be considered inaccurate.

I generally consider it accurate when they're adding/resuming cities. The start date could be pushed back, but the city is coming back.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos