Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
AZORMP
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:16 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
DL will resume MSP-XWA (Williston ND) on June 5. Not very surprising since oil prices have rebounded and that's generally what drives the economy in that area.

Flights have been loaded are bookable now. Looks like the schedule is daily on a CRJ2.

MSP-XWA 1025A-1209P CR2 daily
XWA-MSP 1250P-245P CR2 daily



My DL friends tell me that the schedule available to them right now is only thru June 4. Anything after has not been changed and should be considered inaccurate.

I generally consider it accurate when they're adding/resuming cities. The start date could be pushed back, but the city is coming back.



I won’t deny that it’s possible, because it is. But AZO was also told that MSP was coming back with another DTW before the schedule was slashed again and there was no change. This is a station that has been hitting their load limits frequently too.

Nature of the beast unfortunately.
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7238
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
DL will resume MSP-XWA (Williston ND) on June 5. Not very surprising since oil prices have rebounded and that's generally what drives the economy in that area.

Flights have been loaded are bookable now. Looks like the schedule is daily on a CRJ2.

MSP-XWA 1025A-1209P CR2 daily
XWA-MSP 1250P-245P CR2 daily



My DL friends tell me that the schedule available to them right now is only thru June 4. Anything after has not been changed and should be considered inaccurate.

I generally consider it accurate when they're adding/resuming cities. The start date could be pushed back, but the city is coming back.


This is right - the whole schedule is only out until June 4, but the fact that they've loaded flights to XWA means it's coming back. Flight times might get tweaked once the June schedule comes out (based on what happens to be hitting the MSP banks) but there will be flights.
 
dcajet
Posts: 5062
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Prior to the pandemic, LATAM did BOS-GRU. Wonder if they will bring that back,


Yes, they will. In fact, it's already loaded for July as LA8164/65. Now, with COVID still amongst us, this may well see further changes/suspensions.

The one route that is not coming back (it was canned before COVID) is GRU-LAS.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 am

BAINY3 wrote:
DL will resume MSP-XWA (Williston ND) on June 5. Not very surprising since oil prices have rebounded and that's generally what drives the economy in that area.

Flights have been loaded are bookable now. Looks like the schedule is daily on a CRJ2.

MSP-XWA 1025A-1209P CR2 daily
XWA-MSP 1250P-245P CR2 daily


SkyWest got a revenue guarantee to operate this service.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 am

Did they (DL) already load the official may schedule?
 
BAINY3
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 am

dcajet wrote:
The one route that is not coming back (it was canned before COVID) is GRU-LAS.

This must mean GRU-LAX?
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26663
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 am

BAINY3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
The one route that is not coming back (it was canned before COVID) is GRU-LAS.

This must mean GRU-LAX?


No. LATAM was flying GRULAS.
 
alohashirts
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:45 am

There is a lot of room for improvement that Delta can make. I think they need to just focus on being an airline and concentrate on turning a profit and expanding and building new routes and step away from social and political matters. I would love to see Delta make a bigger push into the Florida markets and even start or expand at small airports out west that could be under the radar. We’ve seen DRO and CNY added but others I think there are still opportunities at places such as FLG, SGU, SAF, SBA, PRC, etc.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:42 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
The one route that is not coming back (it was canned before COVID) is GRU-LAS.

This must mean GRU-LAX?


No. LATAM was flying GRULAS.

Oh, my bad, I thought we were still talking about Delta metal and would have been highly surprised if they ever flew that (unless it was during CES).
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:38 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
alohashirts wrote:
There is a lot of room for improvement that Delta can make. I think they need to just focus on being an airline and concentrate on turning a profit and expanding and building new routes and step away from social and political matters. I would love to see Delta make a bigger push into the Florida markets and even start or expand at small airports out west that could be under the radar. We’ve seen DRO and CNY added but others I think there are still opportunities at places such as FLG, SGU, SAF, SBA, PRC, etc.


DL used to flood Florida with capacity. Chasing junk yield is a big reason why they wound up in BK. I don't want to see them make that same mistake.

As for your 2nd pouint, I agree, and would add that now is also the time to retrench and fight for markets in the midwest.
 
User avatar
NCAD95
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 pm

NWAESC wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
alohashirts wrote:
There is a lot of room for improvement that Delta can make. I think they need to just focus on being an airline and concentrate on turning a profit and expanding and building new routes and step away from social and political matters. I would love to see Delta make a bigger push into the Florida markets and even start or expand at small airports out west that could be under the radar. We’ve seen DRO and CNY added but others I think there are still opportunities at places such as FLG, SGU, SAF, SBA, PRC, etc.


DL used to flood Florida with capacity. Chasing junk yield is a big reason why they wound up in BK. I don't want to see them make that same mistake.

As for your 2nd pouint, I agree, and would add that now is also the time to retrench and fight for markets in the midwest.


The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4603
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..

Not to put you on the spot, but if you're going to make bold statements like that, the community kind of expects hard evidence to back up the claims. It's one thing if it's your personal opinion, but if you want to state something as fact (which it seems you are), then you need to cite sources/facts/figures/etc. This applies to all posts on this site. If you don't want to go through the effort, that's fine, but you need to hedge your bets and make it clear that those are only your observations.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9987
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:55 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..

Not to put you on the spot, but if you're going to make bold statements like that, the community kind of expects hard evidence to back up the claims. It's one thing if it's your personal opinion, but if you want to state something as fact (which it seems you are), then you need to cite sources/facts/figures/etc. This applies to all posts on this site. If you don't want to go through the effort, that's fine, but you need to hedge your bets and make it clear that those are only your observations.

✈️ atcsundevil


Maybe that's what DL 'wants' to do but it certainly isn't succeeding. DTW's O&D fraction is among the lowest of any of the major hub airports in the country.

See domestic 'US Airport O&D ranking' for passenger counts and shares: https://www.orlandoairports.net/about-u ... statistics

And the assertion that a carrier wants to starve a (largely non-duplicative hub) -- that's just nonsense of the type mocked in atcsundevil's April Fools thread.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:20 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..


Since you picked these two as examples, how many dailies was NW running on DTW-SJC and DTW-SNA before the merger?
 
ScottB
Posts: 7533
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:48 pm

FSDan wrote:
NCAD95 wrote:
The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..


Since you picked these two as examples, how many dailies was NW running on DTW-SJC and DTW-SNA before the merger?


So not fair to ask that question when the answer is a big fat zero on both!
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 pm

NW ran both at one point.

IIRC, at merger time NW was still running DTW-SNA. Not sure about SJC.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9987
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 pm

NWAESC wrote:
NW ran both at one point.

IIRC, at merger time NW was still running DTW-SNA. Not sure about SJC.


At one point. Maybe intermittently; I'm not questioning your command of fact!. But they weren't sustained even 5x weekly. (I recall vividly - What do you mean I need to connect in MSP?)

Looking at the week of April 12 (skipping the preceding Easter week), ITA Matrix finds zero - yes, zero - non-stops ORD-SJC Mo-Fr, so I don't think DL is missing out on much at this point.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3392
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.


I suspect far more of those drops are to do with appropriate size (cost) aircraft then neglect of the Midwest. There are plenty of airports DL used to serve out of ATL on props and RJs for a time that it no longer serves. The removal of Saabs and a substantial portion of 50-seaters has been brutal for small airports (and will probably continue for the US3) - indeed the Saabs played a major role in the Midwest.
 
tphuang
Posts: 6637
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 pm

From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3392
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:58 pm

tphuang wrote:
From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.


This Seattle resident is ready to take advantage of some good fares (when fully vaccinated).

Edit to add that the interesting thing will be what are the A220s doing? Replacing EJets or other mainline? If EJets, is it reducing frequency and capacity?
 
umichman
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:08 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Did they (DL) already load the official may schedule?


Yes, as noted several times here, the May schedule (through June 4th) has had it's big update (a couple weeks ago). They may do some more minor tweaks to May, but don't expect anything major.
 
tphuang
Posts: 6637
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:16 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.


This Seattle resident is ready to take advantage of some good fares (when fully vaccinated).

Edit to add that the interesting thing will be what are the A220s doing? Replacing EJets or other mainline? If EJets, is it reducing frequency and capacity?


I'd imagine having A220-100 replacing RJ and A220-300 replacing A319 on a lot of routes along west coast would give them a strong tool to battle AS's MAX9. Also, that will allow them to put more seat through SEA and fight for gate allocation.

It seems to me that DL is really prioritizing west side of the country.
 
777Mech
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:42 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
alohashirts wrote:
There is a lot of room for improvement that Delta can make. I think they need to just focus on being an airline and concentrate on turning a profit and expanding and building new routes and step away from social and political matters. I would love to see Delta make a bigger push into the Florida markets and even start or expand at small airports out west that could be under the radar. We’ve seen DRO and CNY added but others I think there are still opportunities at places such as FLG, SGU, SAF, SBA, PRC, etc.


DL used to flood Florida with capacity. Chasing junk yield is a big reason why they wound up in BK. I don't want to see them make that same mistake.

As for your 2nd pouint, I agree, and would add that now is also the time to retrench and fight for markets in the midwest.


The big problem is though Delta never targets DTW for growth. They want to make DTW a O/D heavy market. We you operate flights to places like SJC and SNA once a day you can't compete with ORD that gives you multiple connection opportunities. They are a shell of what Northwest once was in the Midwest and they don't seem to care about the market share they are losing..


How are they losing a market? If there is any shred of market potential, another airline would be beating down the doors adding flights. Look at all the adds the airlines are scheduling. Why isn't WN, UA or AA making adds to DTW they way you think DL should be? There's better money elsewhere.

DTW is blessed to have the level of service it has.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:03 am

777Mech wrote:
DTW is blessed to have the level of service it has.


If you compare hub airports by the amount of capacity offered per local passenger, DTW is on the short end of the stick. ATL, CLT, SLC, etc. are on the opposite end and are truly the ones "blessed" to have the service levels they do. This is not to suggest that DTW is underserved, but rather to dispel the notion that DTW is in the same league as that of PIT, CVG & CLE, despite handling significantly more local traffic.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:48 am

jbs2886 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.


I suspect far more of those drops are to do with appropriate size (cost) aircraft then neglect of the Midwest. There are plenty of airports DL used to serve out of ATL on props and RJs for a time that it no longer serves. The removal of Saabs and a substantial portion of 50-seaters has been brutal for small airports (and will probably continue for the US3) - indeed the Saabs played a major role in the Midwest.

Right, that's why I listed Macon as a non-Midwestern example of this. Lots of stuff disappeared when the Saabs were removed.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:57 am

tphuang wrote:
From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.


They were supposed to start SEA-DFW and -CMH on the A220 in June 2020.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 am

jbs2886 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.


This Seattle resident is ready to take advantage of some good fares (when fully vaccinated).

Edit to add that the interesting thing will be what are the A220s doing? Replacing EJets or other mainline? If EJets, is it reducing frequency and capacity?


If it's any clue, they were supposed to start SEA-DFW/-CMH on the A220 in June 2020.
 
777Mech
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:10 am

BAINY3 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.


I suspect far more of those drops are to do with appropriate size (cost) aircraft then neglect of the Midwest. There are plenty of airports DL used to serve out of ATL on props and RJs for a time that it no longer serves. The removal of Saabs and a substantial portion of 50-seaters has been brutal for small airports (and will probably continue for the US3) - indeed the Saabs played a major role in the Midwest.

Right, that's why I listed Macon as a non-Midwestern example of this. Lots of stuff disappeared when the Saabs were removed.


I believe TUP, GLH and MSL were also discontinued when the 340s left. I want to say HHH was there as well.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:16 am

jbs2886 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.


I suspect far more of those drops are to do with appropriate size (cost) aircraft then neglect of the Midwest. There are plenty of airports DL used to serve out of ATL on props and RJs for a time that it no longer serves. The removal of Saabs and a substantial portion of 50-seaters has been brutal for small airports (and will probably continue for the US3) - indeed the Saabs played a major role in the Midwest.


Meh - most are perfect CRJ markets... hence why OO picked them up, just for UA. I do find it interesting that UA seems to be making the push in many of those former markets and connecting them with both DEN and ORD. It’s too late now - but it is interesting to me DL never even really tried to make them work out of MSP, which seems like it would have much more of a business connection to them
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3392
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:01 am

joeblow10 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
Speaking of Delta in the Midwest, I can think of quite a few markets ex-MSP that DL no longer flies to (from any airport, not just MSP) that NW was operating before the Great Recession. Things like Acapulco MX, Aspen CO, Devils Lake ND, Eau Claire WI, Flint MI, Fort Dodge IA, Houghton-Hancock MI, Ixtapa MX, Jamestown ND, Manchester NH, Manzanillo MX, Mason City IA, Mazatlan MX, Ottawa ON, Peoria IL, Pierre SD, Regina SK, St Cloud MN, Sioux City IA, Thief River Falls MN, Thunder Bay ON, Waterloo IA, and Watertown SD. All served by NW in 2007, none served by DL today. Some make perfect sense (nobody goes to Acapulco anymore), but some of them seem like reasonable markets being ceded to competitors.

My point being is that these "Delta neglects the Midwest" comments aren't coming out of nowhere. But there are places even from the legacy Delta network that are gone, like Macon GA for example. And there are also new destinations out of MSP that weren't served back in 2007 as well.


I suspect far more of those drops are to do with appropriate size (cost) aircraft then neglect of the Midwest. There are plenty of airports DL used to serve out of ATL on props and RJs for a time that it no longer serves. The removal of Saabs and a substantial portion of 50-seaters has been brutal for small airports (and will probably continue for the US3) - indeed the Saabs played a major role in the Midwest.


Meh - most are perfect CRJ markets... hence why OO picked them up, just for UA. I do find it interesting that UA seems to be making the push in many of those former markets and connecting them with both DEN and ORD. It’s too late now - but it is interesting to me DL never even really tried to make them work out of MSP, which seems like it would have much more of a business connection to them


UA has nearly 300 50-seaters, excluding the CRJ-550. DL doesn’t even have 60 anymore. I bet when UA starts drawing down those fleets you’ll see some drops.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm

It seems like JFK - ATH is now year round. It shows up in November and December. That's new! Could someone confirm what is going on with that?
 
User avatar
thewizbizman
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
It seems like JFK - ATH is now year round. It shows up in November and December. That's new! Could someone confirm what is going on with that?


I figured it was only a matter of time before this would be true, hope its for real. I would really like to see them launch a daily from ATL as well.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:26 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
It seems like JFK - ATH is now year round. It shows up in November and December. That's new! Could someone confirm what is going on with that?


I figured it was only a matter of time before this would be true, hope its for real. I would really like to see them launch a daily from ATL as well.


It made me very happy to see too. I think the last time Delta served Athens year round from JFK was the 2011-2012 season. That is when they stopped ATL - ATH too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ATL - ATH return seasonally now that JFK - ATH is year-round again.
 
marcogr12
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Has DL officially announced ATH-JFK going year round? And can it be profitable? Strange time to make such a decision, when during the years of peak-traffic it remained seasonal and there was only EK..It might be a bit over optimistic to think that the virus will magically disappear next winter and traffic will return to normal levels..
 
umichman
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
tphuang wrote:
From what I'm seeing on DL pilot board, looks like the most recent bid has a lot of openings in SEA with a new A220 base opening up there. I think DL is getting ready for a real fight in SEA.


They were supposed to start SEA-DFW and -CMH on the A220 in June 2020.


SEA-AUS is flying with A220 right now (and scheduled to go 2x daily). SEA-MKE is currently loaded to start June 5th with A220. SEA-IND also loaded for June 5th start but with an A319. SEA-DFW/CMH would appear to be lower priorities as they are currently not loaded in forward schedule.
 
OlympicATH
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:43 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see ATL - ATH return seasonally now that JFK - ATH is year-round again.


I was also quite surprised to see this go year-round in the current context. I guess DL sees potential for leisure/VFR traffic, with some business routes taking longer to recover.

ATL-ATH would be a nice resumption (and is probably going to happen eventually) but I would also like to see a seasonal BOS-ATH, which is among the top unserved routes on both sides.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

At one point. Maybe intermittently; I'm not questioning your command of fact!. But they weren't sustained even 5x weekly. (I recall vividly - What do you mean I need to connect in MSP?)


Well now my curiosity is piqued, and I'm going to have to do some digging!

SJC DTW came and went a couple of times. I'm pretty sure SNADTW was x6 and ran steadily until the merger.?
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:15 am

Sounds like delta is having some operational issues across their network. 77 cancelations for tomorrow (so far) and unblocking the middle seat for 48 hours to help unscrew the operation.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:32 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
Sounds like delta is having some operational issues across their network. 77 cancelations for tomorrow (so far) and unblocking the middle seat for 48 hours to help unscrew the operation.


Staffing issues, yes again.
 
xpfg
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:17 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:41 am

Just got notice that ANC-ATL has been pulled for May at least. Bummed since my booking is all messed up now.
 
777Mech
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:03 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
Sounds like delta is having some operational issues across their network. 77 cancelations for tomorrow (so far) and unblocking the middle seat for 48 hours to help unscrew the operation.


Staffing issues, yes again.


Correct, seems to be centered around the A320 and 737 pilot group. I'd wager they'll be past 100 cancelations before it's said and done tomorrow.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:58 am

No middle seats blocked for the next 48 hours due to massive cancellations.

How are they going to explain that to all those who bought tickets with the promise that the middle seat would be open?
 
bravoindia
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:22 am

Detroit313 wrote:
No middle seats blocked for the next 48 hours due to massive cancellations.

How are they going to explain that to all those who bought tickets with the promise that the middle seat would be open?


That nobody died on SWA and they have been running full flights.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Looking at the week of April 12 (skipping the preceding Easter week), ITA Matrix finds zero - yes, zero - non-stops ORD-SJC Mo-Fr, so I don't think DL is missing out on much at this point.

SJC hasn't had MSP, DTW, nor sustained ORD flights since COVID hit. There might have been a few ORD flights around the holidays, and I believe WN restarted MDW fairly quickly last year.
 
trueblew
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 pm

bravoindia wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
No middle seats blocked for the next 48 hours due to massive cancellations.

How are they going to explain that to all those who bought tickets with the promise that the middle seat would be open?


That nobody died on SWA and they have been running full flights.


Of course nobody died. But when a business like Delta falsely hypes up the supposed enhanced safety of middle seat blocking and charges a premium to promise to deliver that.... and then DOESN'T.... well, that's a problem. Massive black eye for Delta, and rightly so. They've jettisoned their integrity due to a third holiday staffing meltdown in six months.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 6281
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 pm

Keep an eye on BOS, seeing a decent amount of longer term frequency cuts:

LGA -4
ATL -3
PIT -2
BNA -1
IND -1
MCI -1
MEM restart delayed til September
CUN moves to Sat only through September
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Keep an eye on BOS, seeing a decent amount of longer term frequency cuts:

LGA -4
ATL -3
PIT -2
BNA -1
IND -1
MCI -1
MEM restart delayed til September
CUN moves to Sat only through September


I wouldn’t read into this too much. PIT/BNA/IND/MCI are all still loaded at 2-3 daily. Pre Covid DL was gonna add an additional frequency to all these markets, essentially they’re reversed their decision and that’s understandable given these are mostly business markets with little demand right now.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 6281
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:57 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Keep an eye on BOS, seeing a decent amount of longer term frequency cuts:

LGA -4
ATL -3
PIT -2
BNA -1
IND -1
MCI -1
MEM restart delayed til September
CUN moves to Sat only through September


I wouldn’t read into this too much. PIT/BNA/IND/MCI are all still loaded at 2-3 daily. Pre Covid DL was gonna add an additional frequency to all these markets, essentially they’re reversed their decision and that’s understandable given these are mostly business markets with little demand right now.


Those frequencies were already added a decent amount of time before covid (loaded in 2018), for example PIT-BOS was 5x, BNA/IND-BOS were 4x, MCI-BOS was 2x, e.t.c. in 2019

Unless you were talking about MEM-BOS which was added right before COVID and never got to operate.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Noticed that there was a one off LAX-MSP on an A359 today (DL953; the 8 AM flight). It came from SYD and used TBIT gate 133. Why did they put this flight on an A350 as opposed to the usual B752?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos