Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777Mech

Re: Delta at PNS and VPS

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:11 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
Josh32121 wrote:
I understand this conversation started out talking about DL response to increased service levels at PNS and VPS, but why is ECP not in this discussion since it serves a segment of the same beaches and is yet another alternative to access this region? It seems the fragmentation among each of these airports keeps any one of them from being the standout, but I suppose each one is so small that they quickly get capacity-constrained. And they're each about 60 miles apart so they have slightly different catchment areas. Just wondered why that third airport wasn't in the conversation to begin with (?). Are the likes of NK/G4/F9 scared away from ECP because WN is there?

No SWA has operations at all the panhandle airports. NK has a big operations at PNS that they just started. G4 has a big base of operations at VPS and F9 is focusing on other operations.

ECP is a bit different from PNS and VPS because its traffic lacks the business and military component. When it opened it was sort of the LFC airport for the entire Panhandle, but that’s not really true anymore.

Idk about ECP not having a military component. I've had numerous MD-88s taxi out at MTOW to/from ECP and years ago PFN full of bags from Tyndall AFB.

IceCream

Re: Delta at PNS and VPS

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:41 am

spinotter wrote:
Polot wrote:
There is no need with the ATL mega hub right next door and no competitors on the listed routes.

DL is now a smaller carrier. That means fewer hub overflying flights as DL bolsters their hubs with clear defined spheres of influence. Smaller Southeast cities is ATL’s role.

Interesting comment about DL now being a smaller carrier. When (if ever) can we foresee Delta getting back to the same number of flights and RPM's as before the pandemic, at least for its domestic network? Will some of the route reductions (such as MSP to PNS) be permanent?

I mean the pandemic can't go on forever and airlines have to go back to normal at some point. I'd wager S22 has a very good possibility of back to normal or even growth, at least in the western world (which is the vast majority of the network anyways). Here in Canada flights are already coming back and I think things will start ramping up fast by November.

LAXintl

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Skywest and DL agree to swap put 16 CRJ900s for E175s starting Q2 2022.

https://inc.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/ ... wE175s.pdf

jbs2886

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:29 pm

LAXintl wrote:

CRJ900s owned by Skywest, so I wonder if they get leased to Endeavor, etc.

trueblew

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Does Delta scope have any room left for 16 additional 76-seat outsourced jets?

jbs2886

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 pm

trueblew wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Does Delta scope have any room left for 16 additional 76-seat outsourced jets?

Good point - probably not. Is there room to do 70 seats?

factsonly

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:25 am

Delta goes intermodal with single ticket Air-Train connecting service at AMS to Antwerp and Brussels:

11-Aug-2021:

Delta launches Air+Rail program offering convenient and seamless train service between Amsterdam and Brussels, plus Antwerp.
The new agreement enables customers to seamlessly transfer between plane and train at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol with one ticket booking. From the train station, located in Schiphol’s Central Plaza, there is convenient access and frequent service to the heart of Brussels and Antwerp with journey times of just over an hour. Thalys high-speed trains offer a comfortable travel experience with power outlets at each seat as well as wi-fi on every train.

“This Air+Rail program with Thalys is just the beginning, as we look to offer our customers complete peace of mind with fast and convenient train service to a number of destinations throughout Europe. For our European customers, this also provides a great way to travel to Amsterdam to catch flights to destinations throughout the United States,” said Alain Bellemare, Delta’s President - International. “We have learned from our partner airlines, Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines who offer similar programs, and with the rail infrastructure already in place in Europe we are able to provide our customers with increased choice as well as convenient travel options.”

https://news.delta.com/delta-launches-a ... terdam-and

Blerg

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 am

Did/does DL fly to BRU? If they are adding the rail option it could be a way of reducing or completely suspending their presence in Brussels.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm

DL did fly JFK/ATL-BRU from my memory back in the days of the Atlantic Excellence alliance before Sabena imploded in 2001. I don't know about recent service.

Plain + train is inferior to a flight into BRU itself, except for the cases where a North American n/s xxx-AMS exists where XXX-BRU does not and the traveler was going to need two segments, anyway. UA services xxx-EWR/IAD/ORD-BRU can serve effectively all relevant U.S./Canadian origins pretty effectively.

n515cr

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:19 pm

I'm fairly certain that BRU service existed up to the start of the pandemic.

Blerg

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:20 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DL did fly JFK/ATL-BRU from my memory back in the days of the Atlantic Excellence alliance before Sabena imploded in 2001. I don't know about recent service.

Plain + train is inferior to a flight into BRU itself, except for the cases where a North American n/s xxx-AMS exists where XXX-BRU does not and the traveler was going to need two segments, anyway. UA services xxx-EWR/IAD/ORD-BRU can serve effectively all relevant U.S./Canadian origins pretty effectively.

Maybe DL knows that it can't make BRU work on its own (after all it is a Star Alliance hub so there is feed on both ends) so it is introducing these kind of options which probably don't cost much.

SESGDL

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Maybe DL knows that it can't make BRU work on its own (after all it is a Star Alliance hub so there is feed on both ends) so it is introducing these kind of options which probably don't cost much.

DL has served BRU-ATL/JFK continuously for decades up until the pandemic. DL will be back once travel picks up, BRU is too important a market not to serve.

Jeremy

DeltaRules

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:53 pm

I think BRU service was temporarily suspended after the terminal bombing, but resumed.

jbs2886

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Blerg wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

As pointed out, this is not based in fact. DL has flown BRU-JFK/ATL (both) for a long time, just hasn't with the pandemic. I anticipate this just allows for more connections over AMS. For example, coming from Seattle, I may prefer a non-stop to AMS and then catch the train over connecting through JFK.

cessna53996

Delta Returning to ORH (Worcester), Will Fly to LGA

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:26 am

DL looks to be joining the ORH-NYC market with a LGA flight in November.

Article: https://www.telegram.com/story/news/202 ... 184920002/

According to the article, the service will start sometime in November and will be a turn landing in ORH at 16:30 and departing at 17:00pm back to LGA. Looking at DL flying at LGA today I'd venture to say that it'll probably be operated by a Republic E170.

We'll see if this service fares better than DTW but I'm not confident given the poor timing for connections at LGA outbound from ORH.

B6 will be running 2x daily JFK service by the time DL starts so we could see people leave on B6 and maybe return on DL from their connecting city. Could benefit each airline with both running NYC service, I suppose.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

slcdeltarumd11

Re: Delta Returning to ORH, Will Fly to LGA

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 am

interesting. I see some benefits of NYC. You can connect to any direction and didnt go far out of your way. I doubt they will see much O&D though, i would think the ability to connect will be huge for its survival. As long as Florida flights are connections, they can probably fill those seats. Not saying fares will be good but florida is an easy fill if they can at least connect to those

DLPMMM

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 am

For those who have not memorized every small airport in the USA, ORH is Worcester, Massachusetts.

hannah9898

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:32 am

Interesting. I wonder if UA and AA will follow suit to ORH soon

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:40 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
interesting. I see some benefits of NYC. You can connect to any direction and didnt go far out of your way. I doubt they will see much O&D though, i would think the ability to connect will be huge for its survival. As long as Florida flights are connections, they can probably fill those seats. Not saying fares will be good but florida is an easy fill if they can at least connect to those

But ORH will be a BETTER option than Bos.

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am

What about ORH-MCO (disney)... that would be a great addition B6 did ORH-FLL it could work

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 am

DLPMMM wrote:
For those who have not memorized every small airport in the USA, ORH is Worcester, Massachusetts.

Thank you… for some reason I was thinking it was Newport News/Williamsport…yikes!! Time to brush up

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:45 am

b777900 wrote:
What about ORH-MCO (disney)... that would be a great addition B6 did ORH-FLL it could work

ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be). ORH-MCO would have to compete with BOS on fares, and without the frequency.

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:05 am

[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be). ORH-MCO would have to compete with BOS on fares, and without the frequency.

A business play with one frequency? This is political and the shortest stage length to do it to minimize costs.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:37 am

...and fills an LGA slot when other routes are still down.

I could see 2x ORH-LGA eventually working but going to be tough with 1x and no morning departure from ORH

B752OS

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:43 pm

Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro. Glad to see it getting some additional service.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be).

LOL nope. No one would fly this on business unless they lived or worked within a 10-minute drive of ORH. Worcester's only a three-hour drive from NYC and a single daily frequency coupled with the need to stay in a hotel in either direction (due to late afternoon arrival) makes this unattractive for business travel. This is all about connections and squatting on a slot while NYC business travel is down.

Polot

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm

B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro. Glad to see it getting some additional service.

It’s the second largest if looking by population in the city boundaries, but looking at the metro area population (which is far more relevant for air service) it is not the second largest.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:56 pm

B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro.

Do you think people living in places like Milford, Westborough, or Southborough (all in Worcester County, thus in the Wormtown metro area) are commuting to Worcester or Boston and its surrounding communities?

Cory6188

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 pm

On top of all the aforementioned reasons why the timing isn't great, one frequency a day is as good as useless when it comes to IRROPS heading back into ORH. Basically, if your connecting flight doesn't operate on time (and this is LGA in the afternoon, so let's be real, that's almost a given), then you either have to schlep to ORH from BDL or BOS, or wait until the following day.

BlueBaller

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Polot wrote:
B752OS wrote:

It’s the second largest if looking by population in the city boundaries, but looking at the metro area population (which is far more relevant for air service) it is not the second largest.

Correct. It’s got a long way to go when you measure it up against the Hartford and Providence metro areas.

sspontak

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm

This brings back the ORH-LGA route that Delta obtained when they merged with Northeast in 1972. Back then they used the DC-9 on this route.

trueblew

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

A business play with one frequency? This is political and the shortest stage length to do it to minimize costs.

Political indeed. DL are getting into the Massport quid pro quo games it would appear.

twaconnie

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm

sspontak wrote:
This brings back the ORH-LGA route that Delta obtained when they merged with Northeast in 1972. Back then they used the DC-9 on this route.

I'll go back one further in the 60's Northeast operated 3 round trips a day with DC-6B's.If there was a market back then there should be one now I think.

Q

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:57 pm

sspontak wrote:

Yes, in later years, Delta changed the equipment they used to fly B-727-200 to Worcester from LGA and MHT. They dropped mainline jets early 90's.

Q

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:10 pm

trueblew wrote:
DL are getting into the Massport quid pro quo games it would appear.

Gotta wonder what the quid is. They already got all of Terminal A back. Preferential access to gates in E? AC's gates in Terminal B (along with a connector from A)?

Revelation

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:14 pm

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro.

Do you think people living in places like Milford, Westborough, or Southborough (all in Worcester County, thus in the Wormtown metro area) are commuting to Worcester or Boston and its surrounding communities?

The people I knew when I worked in the area either worked in Worcester or places along the I-495 belt mostly working in buildings built by the late great Digital Equipment Corporation during its heyday of the 80s/90s. Most of these were occupied by startups or spinoffs once DEC faded away. Not sure what is going on down there these days, haven't worked in that area for a good five or so years now. Personally back then it made more sense for me to use MHT for business travel even if that risked issues with IROPS, others used BOS. These days MHT has so little service I think BOS would be the winner, or as mentioned, driving is an option depending on where you are going in the NYC area. In any case, I agree ORH is really just about slot squatting and throwing a bone to the airport operator, it's at a bad time of day for business travel and/or ongoing connections.

MO11

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Q wrote:

Yes, in later years, Delta changed the equipment they used to fly B-727-200 to Worcester from LGA and MHT. They dropped mainline jets early 90's.

Q

"Early '90s" meaning 1980 when Bar Harbor took over the routes.

BitFly

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:28 pm

BOS is a headache getting to, due to traffic and major constructions happening at the Masspike and Logan airport. Much easier to fly out of ORH and connect to your destination thru NYC.
TSA at ORH is very smooth and much quicker than BOS, once you use ORH, it is tough to stay in line at BOS again. Plus parking is free at the moment until the end of 2021, and after that it is a fraction of the cost of BOS.

If airlines add frequency and good schedule times, in my opinion, it is a no brainer to fly out of ORH. Cheap parking, small terminal, no TSA lines; it is just much more convenient. Unfortunately, some airlines keep adding bad schedule times and no frequency, which makes it tough to get demand at times.

nkops

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Did Massport ever upgrade the ILS into ORH?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 pm

BitFly wrote:
BOS is a headache getting to, due to traffic and major constructions happening at the Masspike and Logan airport. Much easier to fly out of ORH and connect to your destination thru NYC.

That's the same argument that people have been making about MHT and PVD. MHT had (before Covid) 14 consecutive years of declines in passenger numbers. PVD handled more people in 2005 than it did in 2019. https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate/ri ... er-numbers

Regional airports lose out to proximate hubs unless the hubs are significantly capacity constrained by facilities (like EWR) or law (like LAX). One can futz around with one-flight a day from ORH and connect in LGA or just go to BOS and have non-stops. I'm a regular traveler to Framingham, to an address about equidistant from BOS and ORH. ORH is a joke, and always will be. You can start with a free 11,300 ft runway and still not have daily commercial service - see PSM.

The Audi Q7s and E-Class AMGs of the people willing to pay good money to fly ORH-NYC will need Level 4 autonomous driving before they think driving to NYC is a good idea.

BitFly

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BitFly wrote:

That's the same argument that people have been making about MHT and PVD. MHT had (before Covid) 14 consecutive years of declines in passenger numbers. PVD handled more people in 2005 than it did in 2019. https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate/ri ... er-numbers

Regional airports lose out to proximate hubs unless the hubs are significantly capacity constrained by facilities (like EWR) or law (like LAX). One can futz around with one-flight a day from ORH and connect in LGA or just go to BOS and have non-stops. I'm a regular traveler to Framingham, to an address about equidistant from BOS and ORH. ORH is a joke, and always will be. You can start with a free 11,300 ft runway and still not have daily commercial service - see PSM.

The Audi Q7s and E-Class AMGs of the people willing to pay good money to fly ORH-NYC will need Level 4 autonomous driving before they think driving to NYC is a good idea.

I agree to an extent, and I also fly constantly, actually just flew this past weekend thru Logan Terminal C, which the outside is a mess, as constructions are all over the place.
If given the option and good schedule/frequency, I'll take ORH any day. It all depends of preference I guess. One flight a day definitely won't help, that agree.

B757rocket

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:24 pm

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Gotta wonder what the quid is. They already got all of Terminal A back. Preferential access to gates in E? AC's gates in Terminal B (along with a connector from A)?

Massport and Delta must be playing ball for something. No one lines up to fly into ORH Wustah willingly.
Fog, storms, a cloud and The flight ends up in Boston anyways.
Last edited by B757rocket on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airbazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm

In my opinion this is all about Florida connections.
I don't see business passengers finding value in this schedule which forces you to spend a night away from home.
And I don't think there's any "quid pro quo" with Massport although some brownie points never hurts.
Also to be factored in, Worcester has seen its population grow 14% and the Pandemic has forced many affluent people out of greater Boston and into the suburbs putting some of these people closer to ORH than BOS.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:50 pm

BitFly wrote:
I agree to an extent, and I also fly constantly, actually just flew this past weekend thru Logan Terminal C, which the outside is a mess, as constructions are all over the place.
If given the option and good schedule/frequency, I'll take ORH any day. It all depends of preference I guess. One flight a day definitely won't help, that agree.

Getting to ORH is a mess, too. It's a 15 or 20 minute drive on Worcester city streets from I-290. The office parks at 495 and route 9 are half the distance from ORH compared to BOS -- but travel time to ORH is maybe 5 minutes faster.

You can get people to use ORH if it's cheap enough, but that's really not the business DL typically chases. And they're not going to waste 3 or 4 slot pairs at LGA (unless they need to slot-squat) to make LGA-ORH competitive with options like driving or Acela from Providence.

airbazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:10 pm

ScottB wrote:
BitFly wrote:

Getting to ORH is a mess, too. It's a 15 or 20 minute drive on Worcester city streets from I-290. The office parks at 495 and route 9 are half the distance from ORH compared to BOS -- but travel time to ORH is maybe 5 minutes faster.

You can get people to use ORH if it's cheap enough, but that's really not the business DL typically chases. And they're not going to waste 3 or 4 slot pairs at LGA (unless they need to slot-squat) to make LGA-ORH competitive with options like driving or Acela from Providence.

There are just no good options to get to NYC from Worcester area no matter how you slice it.
Driving is a minimum of 4.5 hours during rush hour. I've done it twice this year and we're supposed to be experiencing less commuters due to the Pandemic. Back in April I left NY at 4pm and 3 hours later I stopped to eat at the Five Guys in Stamford, CT. The idea that BOS is only 5 mins longer is equally dependent on time of day and traffic. Flying might just be the best option but not with this DL schedule.

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 pm

Windsor Locks would be closer than BOS...

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm

airbazar wrote:
ScottB wrote:
BitFly wrote:

There are just no good options to get to NYC from Worcester area no matter how you slice it.
Driving is a minimum of 4.5 hours during rush hour. I've done it twice this year and we're supposed to be experiencing less commuters due to the Pandemic. Back in April I left NY at 4pm and 3 hours later I stopped to eat at the Five Guys in Stamford, CT. The idea that BOS is only 5 mins longer is equally dependent on time of day and traffic. Flying might just be the best option but not with this DL schedule.

THREE hours from NYC to Stamford! Details, please, that’s absurd.

VS4ever

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 am

nkops wrote:
Did Massport ever upgrade the ILS into ORH?
B757rocket wrote:
ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Massport and Delta must be playing ball for something. No one lines up to fly into ORH Wustah willingly.
Fog, storms, a cloud and The flight ends up in Boston anyways.

Not so much anymore because, they upgraded the ILS to Cat III a couple of years back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.worces ... e%3Dampart

loggat

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 am

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

FIS facility in A?

tphuang

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:26 am

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Keep in mind this is to just keep up what they had pre covid. JetBlue resumed all 3 flights to orh. I seriously doubt they got anything new.

Flying to orh is just part of what any airline has to do to keep massport happy.

Even aa flew to orh pre covid and probably will have to do it again soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos