Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJNUT

Re: Expressjet relaunch as independent carrier?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 pm

I flew MCI-AUS, MCI-ONT and MCI-TUS branded ops. Very nice service and i liked their "toothpaste" livery! Times are definitely different from2007 as so many markets have been squeezed down. But like the majors, it seems they will need to go after leisure until business travel picks back up.

eugdjinn

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm

According to ExpressJet's SEC filing:
they are still 49.9 % owned by United
they have $32.5 million in the bank (Wells Fargo) to start this misguided adventure.
they have one aircraft now, N844HK I believe, and expect to grow to 10 leased frames shortly, all 145LR - (likely the other TSA owned NxxxHK)
they expect to fly them as 50 seat aircraft on 600nm routes

For those who remember their branded experiment during the Great Disagreement with CO - it was not a financial success, it nearly destroyed them completely. Passengers may have liked it, but it was what left them moments from bankruptcy and begging for buyout by SkyWest. (Which was probably the biggest mistake made in SkyWest history, bar none.)

And a reminder, this is the remains of what was ASA and ExpressJet, the aircraft is wearing the ASA livery, will bear the ASA call sign 'Acey', and the airline has the EV code of ASA, only the name ExpressJet and the fondness for E145s remain from what was that carrier of Continental Express heritage. This new experiment is headquartered in Atlanta, and headed by a man who has a checkered past from a number of airlines, including ATA, Northwest, Continental, Delta, and Commutair. There is no sign yet where it will fly from, or whether it will truly fly independently or for a major (I suspect UA). When in comes down to it, there is more unsaid in that SEC filing than fully filled in. It's a business plan of hopes and wishes, tied to an organization that does have a certificate, a business address and three furlough lists.

Is that enough? I guess we will see.

I think he needs a really good fairy godmother to pull it off.

alasizon

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm

eugdjinn wrote:
There is no sign yet where it will fly from, or whether it will truly fly independently or for a major (I suspect UA).

There very much is a sign that they intend to go at it alone and not as a regional partner for someone. Their days of being a regional partner are over.

The paperwork filed with the DOT is for an independent relaunch.

william

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:50 pm

Maybe I am too old, but didn't Expressjet go down this road before?

acecrackshot

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm wondering if this isn't a stalking horse by UA to leverage their FFDs to the last cent.

jbs2886

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:10 pm

william wrote:
Maybe I am too old, but didn't Expressjet go down this road before?

Lol, yes. Didn't work out too well the first time.

phatfarmlines

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:10 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
The issue is the economics of a RJ without the benefit of network effect business fares...

Indeed. A strategy to secondary airports would lower fares. Absence of frequency would lower fares. But running an RJ against a Spirit A321 on a route xxx-MCO... that would fail very quickly.

We've seen attempts at 30-50 seater stand-alone operations, even in the 2010's, and there isn't growth opportunity there apart from the niche markets. And I'll add the ULCC penetration didn't exist in 2007-2008. This time, it will be much harder for XE to compete with MAX/NEO aircraft economics flying around if they tried to overlay their 2007 route map again.

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
I loved flying XJ on their branded ops back in 07-08. The Friday/Sunday SAT-OKC round trips were a godsend for me while I was in Nav school at Randolph and my wife was up in OK.
XM satellite radio and an actual sandwich/drink on a 60-minute flight? Great for pax...not so great for bottom line. The fuel price surge didn't help either.

Still, if they do re-start, best of luck to them...and hope it's a P2P like what they had last time, as it was a breath of fresh air on thin markets.

A bit pedantic, but definitely relevant....XJ was Mesaba Airlines. ExpressJet was XE...

Blah...you're right...and I should've known better

sunking737

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 am

Could they do college sports teams charters..small teams??

flyboy7974

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:19 am

Anybody able to pull the LF for the old independent ExpressJet routes to see what was was working and what wasn't?

i know somebody on here has figured out the T100 charts ( and tried to help me ) but I still can't navigate how to pull that data (not that i haven't tried)

FlyingViking

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 am

Possible they will go after EAS routes?

ChrisPBacon

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:26 pm

flyboy7974 wrote:
Anybody able to pull the LF for the old independent ExpressJet routes to see what was was working and what wasn't?

IIRC, fuel cost was the biggest problem XE faced when they tried branded flying. There weren't enough seats to sell on a 145 to offset peak oil. With lower costs and the right markets, they might be able to make it work. But, we may very well be moving into a period of higher oil prices thanks to the moves of the current administration. That alone will make it difficult for a standalone 145 operator.

Speaking of labor costs, does anyone know how the status of their labor agreements? Both pilots and FAs were union. If the certificate starts flying again, would they be required to recall furloughed crew? If so, they'll be at a disadvantage on labor costs because they'll be recalling the most senior crews.

acecrackshot

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:51 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

IIRC, fuel cost was the biggest problem XE faced when they tried branded flying. There weren't enough seats to sell on a 145 to offset peak oil. With lower costs and the right markets, they might be able to make it work. But, we may very well be moving into a period of higher oil prices thanks to the moves of the current administration. That alone will make it difficult for a standalone 145 operator.

Speaking of labor costs, does anyone know how the status of their labor agreements? Both pilots and FAs were union. If the certificate starts flying again, would they be required to recall furloughed crew? If so, they'll be at a disadvantage on labor costs because they'll be recalling the most senior crews.

I imagine the vast majority of crews have gone on to better things. They'll likely be starting from scratch for crews.

ChrisPBacon

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:04 pm

acecrackshot wrote:
I imagine the vast majority of crews have gone on to better things. They'll likely be starting from scratch for crews.

If you have moved on and wound up at the bottom of the seniority list, but have recall rights to come back at top of scale, what would you do? Hence my question.

alasizon

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
acecrackshot wrote:

If you have moved on and wound up at the bottom of the seniority list, but have recall rights to come back at top of scale, what would you do? Hence my question.

Most crews would choose stability, a small independent E145 carrier is not stability by any means. I know that personally I had about 10-12 ex-EV pilots that during COVID began working on the ramp or in catering while waiting for pilot hiring to start back up (this also gave them an edge when it came to longevity if they stayed at AA/MQ/OH/PT). All but two have already received class dates with their new carrier and the remaining two are just waiting for a class date.

drdisque

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:06 pm

sunking737 wrote:

Yes, but that's kind of a crappy market.

You're pretty busy from November to March doing mens and womens basketball and the occasional volleyball charter.

In the spring you have to make it work just with Baseball, but a lot of NCAA Baseball teams don't charter.

In the fall and summer there's really nothing to keep you busy. The 50 seater is too small for a football team.

F9Animal

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Great news!! I really hope they can get back in the air!

Boiler905

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

I recall similarly, that costs were the main problem former XE faced.

I personally know former XE employees from that era, and they say prior to being bought out, they had many profitable routes before fuel prices went crazy.

So, the new XE could still work pending external factors. Aircraft acquisition costs will only become less expensive for the E145s.

trexel94

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:11 am

According to Ch-aviation, Expressjet has acquired its first E145 in preparation for relaunch.

Would someone who has an account be kind enough to share more key information?
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... of-restart

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:43 am

I think times have changed alot since independence air . I think it's much easier for a new airline then It was then.

I think the legacies have sunk in quality and offerings are so similar to LCCs that most flyers are alot less loyal then they were in the day of independence air. Also miles are way harder to use almost impossible that alot of people have lost loyalty and save them for big trips. Most importantly search engines are how most normal people not business travel book. They don't have loyalty unless it's southwest. I think the average millennial would be totally fine booking indepence air if it's one dollar cheaper and shows up in search engines. The key is they need to show on kayak and google flights and things and people will fly them. Times have changed ALOT since independence air

GVZZZ

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:39 am

trexel94 wrote:
According to Ch-aviation, Expressjet has acquired its first E145 in preparation for relaunch.

Would someone who has an account be kind enough to share more key information?
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... of-restart

Former Trans States N844HK has been flying out of Kinston with an Expressjet callsign. Check it on FR24 etc.

Polot

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think times have changed alot since independence air . I think it's much easier for a new airline then It was then.

I think the legacies have sunk in quality and offerings are so similar to LCCs that most flyers are alot less loyal then they were in the day of independence air. Also miles are way harder to use almost impossible that alot of people have lost loyalty and save them for big trips. Most importantly search engines are how most normal people not business travel book. They don't have loyalty unless it's southwest. I think the average millennial would be totally fine booking indepence air if it's one dollar cheaper and shows up in search engines. The key is they need to show on kayak and google flights and things and people will fly them. Times have changed ALOT since independence air

The problem with Independence Air was costs, not customer loyalty. Their load factors were decent, it’s just 50 seaters are not great aircraft for LCCs which is why none operate them. For most of Independence Air’s life they had break even load factor of over 100% with their average fares. Meaning they could have the fullest planes in the country and they would have still been bleeding money.

sldispatcher

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Agree with above poster that current administration is not one to start an airline in with cost sensitivity to fuel prices.

That being said, a 50 seater to/from Destin/Fort Walton Beach in the 600 mile and below range should be very sellable, but at what yield? There is a subset of condo owners/well to do that would pay higher last minute fares.

rajincajun01

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Polot wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

The problem with Independence Air was costs, not customer loyalty. Their load factors were decent, it’s just 50 seaters are not great aircraft for LCCs which is why none operate them. For most of Independence Air’s life they had break even load factor of over 100% with their average fares. Meaning they could have the fullest planes in the country and they would have still been bleeding money.

Fuel costs were a huge problem too. A CRJ fleet (until the A319 joined the fleet) was not efficient when fuel prices were at record highs.

F9Animal

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:58 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Polot wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Fuel costs were a huge problem too. A CRJ fleet (until the A319 joined the fleet) was not efficient when fuel prices were at record highs.

Correct. The CRJ was one of the worst planes to start a larger independent airline with. Especially with fuel prices at the time they went solo, it was nearly impossible to profit. Raise the ticket prices, people look for cheaper fares. And United was ready to play hardball to protect their hub.

The 319 came too late unfortunately. The airplane was a blessing, and really started a turnaround for the company. Unfortunately, the money ran out. I do firmly believe if Independence started with 319's, the outcome would have been much better financially. But hey, they had all those CRJ's, so why not? Hindsight is 20/20, and if it was just handled differently, it could have been a successful airline. When they started 319 service to Seattle for example, I was shocked at how soon the flights started getting full. I would guess off the top of my head, the flight I worked took about 2 months to mature. Right before they went under, the SEA flights were sold out.

Independence was a great concept, but poorly executed. Just like Republic trying to buy Frontier and Midwest. Combining the 2 companies didn't change the losses. Inexperienced regional trying to change to a full service airline has proven it doesn't work too well. But!! If they had planned their airline a little better, and possibly brought in more talented airline execs.. Someone like David Neeleman offered the CEO job when Republic and Frontier were bought. Or hired at Independence... That would have found success.

Could the reborn Expressjet work? Absolutely! A solid business plan and execution could bring success. I am very hopeful they will come back, and very hopeful they make it.

SANFan

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:47 am

IF this gets off the ground, I would like to see XE start their ops in the west while Breeze is starting in the east and (hopefully) eventually heading westward.

I was very pleased with the routes that the last branded ops offered from SAN, and certainly some of those same routes are still not seeing consistent scheduled service; OKC & TUL come immediately to mind!

bb

jetmatt777

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:03 am

SANFan wrote:
IF this gets off the ground, I would like to see XE start their ops in the west while Breeze is starting in the east and (hopefully) eventually heading westward.

I was very pleased with the routes that the last branded ops offered from SAN, and certainly some of those same routes are still not seeing consistent scheduled service; OKC & TUL come immediately to mind!

bb

I think OKC is much better served now (or just pre-pandemic) than they were in 2007 era when XE was running their branded ops.

I believe they flew OKC-SAT/AUS/MSY/SAN/ONT at that time there was no service in those markets. Now: AA was running multiple daily, and one mainline to LAX, AA is starting AUS, F9 was flying SAN, Breeze and WN are starting MSY. That pretty much leaves SAT and SAN.

I think there is room in these smaller markets such as OKC and TUL, but they are going to have to be more creative than XE v1.0 as carriers have increased service to these desirable markets over the past 15 years.

GSP psgr

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:56 am

To the extent I still think there's something of an unfilled hole where you might be able to make money with E145s, it's point to point business oriented markets in a box defined roughly as East of the Mississippi minus Florida, with maybe some limited Texas flying. Think of all the routes the legacies sort of hung onto for at least a few years when they closed up shop at their various Midwest hub operations (and MEM) PIT-BDL/IND, CLE-MCI/AUS/MEM, CVG-MKE/GSP/ORF. Routes less than 500 miles where a nonstop halves the business travel time. Stuff the legacies won't touch and is too small for WN (which has really, really gotten away from P2P until they started chasing COVID desperate leisure travel).would be a good place for them to start.

TyroneShoes

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 am

Chuska wrote:
I'm all for it. There are far too many available point to point routes out there that can support RJ service. As we all know, ExpressJet tried this once before in 2007/2008 but unfortunately the recession hit and fuel prices skyrocketed. Hopefully the timing will be better this time.

Back in 2007 ExpressJet.....

WaywardMemphian

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:12 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
To the extent I still think there's something of an unfilled hole where you might be able to make money with E145s, it's point to point business oriented markets in a box defined roughly as East of the Mississippi minus Florida, with maybe some limited Texas flying. Think of all the routes the legacies sort of hung onto for at least a few years when they closed up shop at their various Midwest hub operations (and MEM) PIT-BDL/IND, CLE-MCI/AUS/MEM, CVG-MKE/GSP/ORF. Routes less than 500 miles where a nonstop halves the business travel time. Stuff the legacies won't touch and is too small for WN (which has really, really gotten away from P2P until they started chasing COVID desperate leisure travel).would be a good place for them to start.

MEM-RDU, MEM-CVG, MEM-AUS, MEM-IND, MEM-PIT, ect, ect, ect.

WN732

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:31 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:
Chuska wrote:
I'm all for it. There are far too many available point to point routes out there that can support RJ service. As we all know, ExpressJet tried this once before in 2007/2008 but unfortunately the recession hit and fuel prices skyrocketed. Hopefully the timing will be better this time.

Did they really fly BFL-FAT or is that my eyes reading the map.

KlimaBXsst

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm

I see the potential resurrection of ExpressJet, as a “managerial” let us bring our knowledge and insight “tip of the hat” signal to start ups (Avelo and Breeze).

Let our vast managerial expertise experience at United Continental ExpressJet “help you,” in the areas our independent branded operations were doing well. We can battle (with the tacit aid of one of the big boy carriers of course), to put a whole lot of hurt upon the scrappy ULCC carriers. Once beaten into submission, we can always rebrand ourselves as a big boy regional hub feeder carrier much like before during post deregulation. You win, we win. $$$

alasizon

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm

WN732 wrote:
TyroneShoes wrote:
Chuska wrote:

Did they really fly BFL-FAT or is that my eyes reading the map.

That is SBA-FAT I believe which they did fly.

JBo

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 pm

I wonder if they'll resurrect the "aquafresh" livery.

LAXintl

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:55 pm

DOT issued ExpressJet Airlines tentative show cause order finding the company is fit and authorizes them to conduct interstate air transportation of persons, property, and mail as a US certificated air carrier.

Per their application they intend to utilize 10 leased EMB145 jets during the first year.

OST-2021-0044-0006

hpff

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:12 am

AWACSooner wrote:
I loved flying XJ on their branded ops back in 07-08. The Friday/Sunday SAT-OKC round trips were a godsend for me while I was in Nav school at Randolph and my wife was up in OK.
XM satellite radio and an actual sandwich/drink on a 60-minute flight? Great for pax...not so great for bottom line. The fuel price surge didn't help either.

Still, if they do re-start, best of luck to them...and hope it's a P2P like what they had last time, as it was a breath of fresh air on thin markets.

XJ allowed me to fly direct between a couple city pairs that never would have had direct flights otherwise back in 2007. Simple, cheap, and convenient, but as noted not enough coverage on the route map to make them anything more than a "they go where I want to go and nowhere else" type of carrier.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:41 pm

If they can operate the routes with some established success and profitability, what are the chances Skywest buys them again to add to their at risk flying portfolio?

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:46 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
If they can operate the routes with some established success and profitability, what are the chances Skywest buys them again to add to their at risk flying portfolio?

None. There is nothing XJT brings back to Skywest that Skywest doesn't already have. Skywest has an excess of 50 seaters they could be using to do the same thing right now.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:57 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

None. There is nothing XJT brings back to Skywest that Skywest doesn't already have. Skywest has an excess of 50 seaters they could be using to do the same thing right now.

My assumption was they’d park the 145’s for the final time and throw their own equipment on it.

trueblew

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:09 pm

XE doesn't exist anymore. (And as already corrected upthread, XJ was Mesaba Airlines.)

SkyWest purchased XE, merged it into EV, and EV was not only the surviving airline but had the surviving management. This wouldn't be a "restart" for them as no one at EV was involved with the branded XE flying. This is the equivalent of a Pan Am or Eastern reboot but it just so happens the zombie airline has a lineage back to the original airline brand.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Maybe we should wish EV plenty of luck with finding and keeping heartbroken crews with memories of the shaft, at a time when airlines are doing everything to retain employees.

Lots of potential airline employee candidates do company research online when applying to successfully maneuver the flight attendant interview and cattle call process.

Corporate history and ill-history are hard to erase among those who take airline careers seriously. ExpressJet EV will get the cream of the crop employees I am sure! (;

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:50 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

My assumption was they’d park the 145’s for the final time and throw their own equipment on it.

What would buying XJT bring them? They could do exactly as your proposing without having to spend whatever amount of money it would take to get the XJT "operation"

Best case for these ExpressJet reboot is they get a handful of 145s to do some college sports charters.

codc10

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:11 pm

trueblew wrote:
XE doesn't exist anymore. (And as already corrected upthread, XJ was Mesaba Airlines.)

SkyWest purchased XE, merged it into EV, and EV was not only the surviving airline but had the surviving management. This wouldn't be a "restart" for them as no one at EV was involved with the branded XE flying. This is the equivalent of a Pan Am or Eastern reboot but it just so happens the zombie airline has a lineage back to the original airline brand.

To be sure, however, several people at the soon-to-be relaunched XJT/EV date to pre-SkyWest XE.

trueblew

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:32 pm

codc10 wrote:
trueblew wrote:

To be sure, however, several people at the soon-to-be relaunched XJT/EV date to pre-SkyWest XE.

They were recruited back? To my knowledge the only legacy XE people post-merger were some lower and middle management operational types and some frontline employees.

codc10

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:58 pm

trueblew wrote:
codc10 wrote:
trueblew wrote:

They were recruited back? To my knowledge the only legacy XE people post-merger were some lower and middle management operational types and some frontline employees.

Have been with the company the entire time, save furlough post-COVID. Some management-level employees (not C-suite)… that’s about all I would be at liberty to share, but LinkedIn is a great resource to confirm.

LH658

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 am

Didn't Commutair acquire Express jet operations?

jetmatt777

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:58 am

LH658 wrote:
Didn't Commutair acquire Express jet operations?

No. United gave flying to C5 that was ExpressJet. Big mistake as C5 is an operational nightmare.

slider

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:34 pm

sunking737 wrote:

This would actually make a great deal of sense. There is a dearth of lift in this category for smaller gauge teams (college hoops, primarily) and the old ExpressJet had a ton of experience in this regard.

But going alone as a standalone independent carrier is just such a crazy misguided move, IMO.

OzarkD9S

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm

For what its worth, Simple Flying posted an article on the ExpressJet restart:

https://simpleflying.com/expressjet-comeback/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos