Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoseSalazar
Topic Author

Expressjet relaunch as independent carrier

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:41 am

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/express ... -relaunch/

Didn’t see this posted yet, sorry in advance if it was. Should be interesting to watch.

Chuska

Re: Expressjet relaunch as independent carrier?

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:56 am

I'm all for it. There are far too many available point to point routes out there that can support RJ service. As we all know, ExpressJet tried this once before in 2007/2008 but unfortunately the recession hit and fuel prices skyrocketed. Hopefully the timing will be better this time.

HNLSLCPDX

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 am

Chuska wrote:
I'm all for it. There are far too many available point to point routes out there that can support RJ service. As we all know, ExpressJet tried this once before in 2007/2008 but unfortunately the recession hit and fuel prices skyrocketed. Hopefully the timing will be better this time.

I don’t think they’ll be anymore than another airline such as Contour. “Hey, fly ExpressJet! We have nonstop flights every Tuesday and Sunday from St. Petersburg/Clearwater to Huatulco, Mexico! Minneapolis to St. George! And Roanoke to Gulfport/Biloxi! Fares as low as $39* round trip!”

trexel94

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am

If this ever materializes, I’d love to see them back at MCI. We need them to bring back their 2007 route map i.e TUS, ONT, SDF etc as we’ve had little success convincing WN.

WN732

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:46 am

Sounds great. Is Expressjet still owned by UA?

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:59 am

WN732 wrote:
Sounds great. Is Expressjet still owned by UA?

No chance. Someone else would have to pick up the certificate for this to happen. At best, I'd see them trying to muscle in on the college sports charter market.

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:02 am

I'd love to see this happen! Although as far as flight training is concerned, they'd have to contract someone since they no longer own the building in IAH. Maybe they'll contract Commutair.

FlyingElvii

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 am

Not a chance... MANA owns the certificate.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:48 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

They can get a new certificate, or buy one...

F9Animal

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/expressjet2021-relaunch/

Didn’t see this posted yet, sorry in advance if it was. Should be interesting to watch.

This is awesome news! It will not be easy. As long as they don't pull an Independence Air move. They have run their own operation before on its own brand, and I do recall them being successful in that venture (I could be wrong about the success.)

But there is opportunity in the markets when things rebound from Covid. I just worry about the fleet type and the costs associated with flying RJ's. I also would be willing to bet the airline would jump at an opportunity to pick up major contracts again. I still cannot believe what has happened to the regional industry. I really thought we would never lose airlines like Conair, ASA, Express jet, Business Express, and others.

Back in the mid 1990's, the regional models were ripe and doing great.

wedgetail737

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Chuska wrote:

I don’t think they’ll be anymore than another airline such as Contour. “Hey, fly ExpressJet! We have nonstop flights every Tuesday and Sunday from St. Petersburg/Clearwater to Huatulco, Mexico! Minneapolis to St. George! And Roanoke to Gulfport/Biloxi! Fares as low as $39* round trip!”

Contour (LF) had some pretty legit routes on the west coast like OAK-SBA, LAS-SBA, SMF-SBA, LAS-SBP, SMF-PSP. Unfortunately, the pandemic killed demand for those routes. With WN slated to fly into both FAT and SBA, there's probably not a whole lot of options.

AS has been filling in the gaps up and down the west from LAX/SAN/SFO to RDM/EUG/MFR. So opportunities are closing.

But what about RDD, ACV, BFL, LMT, SCK, MOD...those places that really lack commercial service anymore?

lightsaber

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 am

This endeavor will have to go up against all the existing airlines and soon Breeze. This reminds me of Indy Air (whom I cheered on).

The issue is the economics of a RJ without the benefit of network effect business fares...

I wish them luck.

Lightsaber

Chuska

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 am

trexel94 wrote:
If this ever materializes, I’d love to see them back at MCI. We need them to bring back their 2007 route map i.e TUS, ONT, SDF etc as we’ve had little success convincing WN.

I'm concerned WN wont bring back MCI-ABQ. Other ABQ markets WN has dropped in the past are to STL, TUS, and ELP, great for RJ's.

n797mx

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:58 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

You can't just make new certificates these days. You need to take a dead airline and revive it's certificate then go out of business two years later so the cycle repeats.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:01 am

n797mx wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

You can't just make new certificates these days. You need to take a dead airline and revive it's certificate then go out of business two years later so the cycle repeats.

This is exactly how Miami Air was reborn.

aeropix

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:52 am

Expressjet tried branded flying with an Ontario,CA hub in 2005. Already been done, and I suspect will have the same degree of success this time around - if it even gets that far.

MIflyer12

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:14 pm

lightsaber wrote:
The issue is the economics of a RJ without the benefit of network effect business fares...

Indeed. A strategy to secondary airports would lower fares. Absence of frequency would lower fares. But running an RJ against a Spirit A321 on a route xxx-MCO... that would fail very quickly.

Boeing757100

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:31 pm

I used to hate ExpressJet for many reasons. But, as many learned, you only start liking 'em as they start fading away.. Maybe they'd be a buyer of the relaunched Dornier 328??? (Wild guess) Though maybe it wouldn't fit their business plan and they'd just use the CRJ200 and E145 again.

zuckie13

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:41 pm

Does Expressjet own any aircraft at this point, or were they all owned by United?

knope2001

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Their 2007 summer map can be seen here. http://www.departedflights.com/XJsummer2007.html This is pretty much what their route system was for their independent existence but a few tweaks had been made by the point such as CRP-AUS had been dropped.

The big wild card with something like this is how much / how quickly business travel will return, and to what extent the majors will resume COVID-dropped markets. The best shot something like this is serving point to point markets with adequate demand at a substantial fare level. This has primarily meant business travel. That segment has been devastated by COVID and when it does recover it may be years -- if ever -- that specific city pairs reach 2019 levels. So markets that might have had good potential to support point-to-point RJ service....let's say MCI-LIT...may never recover enough to make them plausible. However there are larger routes which COVID has killed, such as MCI-IND which now may be in the "ideal for an RJ point-to-point operation" category. MCI-IND was 2x/day on Southwest for years but it is gone with no signs of coming back. That might be a good RJ route as business travel recovers -- a general ratcheting down in business demand can open up new city pairs no longer strong enough for the big boys. But the problem is Southwest might well bring back MCI-IND down the road because they don't necessarily need for business travel to fully recover on that city pair. They can run connecting traffic through MCI on the MCI-IND segment, and with their larger aircraft afford to carry more price-sensitive leisure traffic than an RJ operator can. It may not be as profitable as it once was for WN and perhaps it's only 1x instead of 2x, but any presence of nonstop Southwest on MCI-IND probably kills ExpressJet quickly on that route. We just don't know which COVID drops are gone for good and which will be back.

I've been a big proponent that there are many point-to-point RJ opportunities to exploit high business fare demand. The majors don't touch them for many reasons including they don't contribute their their network synergy, they have scope clause limits, they are moving away from 50-seat fleets, they are geographic orphans to the rest of the system, etc. But COVID upended that completely and it remains to be seen how air travel demand re-assembles itself when the pieces come back together. I certainly hope they succeed but it's really anybody's guess how much of a market there will be for this sort of strategy.

MO11

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:38 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Does Expressjet own any aircraft at this point, or were they all owned by United?

All owned by United.

JoseSalazar
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:07 pm

zuckie13 wrote:

On that note, assuming they keep their AOC, they can fly just about any RJ, including E190s, which I hear are pretty cheap to lease right now. I also hear there are tons of 50 seaters in the desert. If the business plan was good, they could possibly pull off what Breeze is attempting. What breeze has going for it is Neeleman + allegiant’s former route planner, an expert in that type of business model, as well as a ground up IT infrastructure. They will have the marketing, commercial plan, booking platform, and user platform down cold. Breeze is also relatively well capitalized with a lot of people willing to put money behind Neeleman. Can expressjet duplicate all that on their own? I’m not as optimistic. But, who knows in this industry and with the amount of change likely on the horizon in the coming years. And will ManaAir allow it? Or spin it off? Also, with the pilots (who had a fairly solid CBA for a regional) as senior as many were on the longevity scale, can they compete on cost structure with what they will need to make it?

TWA772LR

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:45 am

knope2001 wrote:
Their 2007 summer map can be seen here. http://www.departedflights.com/XJsummer2007.html This is pretty much what their route system was for their independent existence but a few tweaks had been made by the point such as CRP-AUS had been dropped.

The big wild card with something like this is how much / how quickly business travel will return, and to what extent the majors will resume COVID-dropped markets. The best shot something like this is serving point to point markets with adequate demand at a substantial fare level. This has primarily meant business travel. That segment has been devastated by COVID and when it does recover it may be years -- if ever -- that specific city pairs reach 2019 levels. So markets that might have had good potential to support point-to-point RJ service....let's say MCI-LIT...may never recover enough to make them plausible. However there are larger routes which COVID has killed, such as MCI-IND which now may be in the "ideal for an RJ point-to-point operation" category. MCI-IND was 2x/day on Southwest for years but it is gone with no signs of coming back. That might be a good RJ route as business travel recovers -- a general ratcheting down in business demand can open up new city pairs no longer strong enough for the big boys. But the problem is Southwest might well bring back MCI-IND down the road because they don't necessarily need for business travel to fully recover on that city pair. They can run connecting traffic through MCI on the MCI-IND segment, and with their larger aircraft afford to carry more price-sensitive leisure traffic than an RJ operator can. It may not be as profitable as it once was for WN and perhaps it's only 1x instead of 2x, but any presence of nonstop Southwest on MCI-IND probably kills ExpressJet quickly on that route. We just don't know which COVID drops are gone for good and which will be back.

I've been a big proponent that there are many point-to-point RJ opportunities to exploit high business fare demand. The majors don't touch them for many reasons including they don't contribute their their network synergy, they have scope clause limits, they are moving away from 50-seat fleets, they are geographic orphans to the rest of the system, etc. But COVID upended that completely and it remains to be seen how air travel demand re-assembles itself when the pieces come back together. I certainly hope they succeed but it's really anybody's guess how much of a market there will be for this sort of strategy.

I've always thought routings like ORD-MKE-MEM-MSY-IAH for United with RJs could be a good idea to connect medium cities to each other filled with high yielding lax who want to skip a connection (or connect in an easier airport in the case of MKE-MEM-MSY above). You still maintain high aircraft utilization but on pairs small enough to still fill an RJ. I feel these are the segments Breeze and Expressjet may be eyeballing, maybe less so for Breeze if they're going the Allegiant route.

JBo

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:17 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

On that note, assuming they keep their AOC, they can fly just about any RJ, including E190s, which I hear are pretty cheap to lease right now. I also hear there are tons of 50 seaters in the desert. If the business plan was good, they could possibly pull off what Breeze is attempting. What breeze has going for it is Neeleman + allegiant’s former route planner, an expert in that type of business model, as well as a ground up IT infrastructure. They will have the marketing, commercial plan, booking platform, and user platform down cold. Breeze is also relatively well capitalized with a lot of people willing to put money behind Neeleman. Can expressjet duplicate all that on their own? I’m not as optimistic. But, who knows in this industry and with the amount of change likely on the horizon in the coming years. And will ManaAir allow it? Or spin it off? Also, with the pilots (who had a fairly solid CBA for a regional) as senior as many were on the longevity scale, can they compete on cost structure with what they will need to make it?

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that an airline company can't hold onto their air carrier certificate if they no longer own any aircraft.

That said, the FAA database still shows ExpressJet's certificate as belonging to them (it's the original ASA certificate), and only the ERJ-145 is active on it.

Alias1024

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:59 am

knope2001 wrote:

There are some good pieces in that route map but some questionable choices as well. For example the entire OMA station. SAN, ONT, and TUS are long routes for only 50 seats worth of revenue.

I know the XRs had good capability, but long and thin routes on a 50 seat RJ are usually tough economically unless they’re carrying a lot of high revenue connections. I’d be really curious to know what sort of yield they were getting to justify those routes. Of course the oil price spike in 2007/2008 would have crushed routes like that anyway.

MO11

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:38 pm

JBo wrote:

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that an airline company can't hold onto their air carrier certificate if they no longer own any aircraft.

That said, the FAA database still shows ExpressJet's certificate as belonging to them (it's the original ASA certificate), and only the ERJ-145 is active on it.

The minute an airline "ceases" operations, the DOT operating authority becomes dormant, and it must go through an updated fitness determination. If no action is taken within a year, the DOT operating authority is revoked. If a Flag carrier (like ExpressJet) suspends operations for 30 days, then it must notify the FAA before resuming operations, and it may be required to undergo an inspection (FAR 119.63).

GSPSPOT

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Off-topic but similar: Any hint of news about the proposed resurrected Midwest (Express)?

oosnowrat

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pm

JBo wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

Compass didn't own any planes.

knope2001

Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Off-topic but similar: Any hint of news about the proposed resurrected Midwest (Express)?

They post now and then on Facebook but nothing about their plans since COVID took hold. I can't imagine we will hear anything until vaccines have helped tamp down the virus and business travel shows substantial recovery. It's anybody's guess how much specific MKE city pairs will have recovered in 6 months, 10 months, etc.

airlineworker

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:36 am

If all they fly is the E-145, that limits the number of small airports they can fly from. They are not good off short runways and many small airports could use such service.

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:20 am

Didn't ExpressJet already try branded ops a while back, at various times based in both Ontario, CA and Branson, MO?

bluecrew

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 am

airlineworker wrote:
If all they fly is the E-145, that limits the number of small airports they can fly from. They are not good off short runways and many small airports could use such service.

Not amazing, but let's be honest, any "underserved" airport with a customer base worth chasing has a runway that can easily accommodate an E145. Probably 2 runways lol
If it's some dinky airport with a couple five thousand foot runways, chances are you're not ever going to see an airplane larger than a KingAir unless you've got EAS subsidies.

LAX772LR wrote:
Didn't ExpressJet already try branded ops a while back, at various times based in both Ontario, CA and Branson, MO?

Yes and dear god they should never do that again. They need to chase the JetSuiteX model to make it work. High demand routes, something to set them apart besides fares (going from A to B on a leveraged ERJ where they have the overhead of gate space, in-house MX, etc. will not be cheap), and aggressive and disruptive marketing could get them there.
But not dead-end cities like Branson or Ontario... I'd uhhh... haaaaaaaard pass on that kind of job.

More likely than not, I think they'll try to chase EAS bids, like Contour and the artist formerly known as Great Mistakes. It's easy money but high risk, if that subsidy goes away, or anything starts needling your profitability, you are totally cooked. See: Great Mistakes.
Could be interesting though. Count me skeptical. I think XJ's ticket is punched.

Boiler905

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:56 am

EV should consider Part 135 operations. Reduce the seating capacity, space them out, etc (similar to JSX) and make it more worthwhile for a customer to fly shorthaul (the least uneconomical length of haul for the E145 to fly) since they don't need TSA and such.

Agreed there are tons of small capacity point-to-point opportunities around the country.

Boiler905

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:58 am

knope2001 wrote:

IND-MCI will eventually return since it aligns with WN's business-customer focus these days, on a distance which is not an easy drive in one day. (unlike STL or MDW)

bluecrew

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 am

Boiler905 wrote:
EV should consider Part 135 operations. Reduce the seating capacity, space them out, etc (similar to JSX) and make it more worthwhile for a customer to fly shorthaul (the least uneconomical length of haul for the E145 to fly) since they don't need TSA and such.

Agreed there are tons of small capacity point-to-point opportunities around the country.

Yeahhhhhhh but just see how JSX has done outside of California. Good buddy worked there for a while and he doesn't have many good things to say about the business prospects.
It's a neat-o idea but it's not proving to be scalable. Any startup needs to hit scale, this is why airline startups usually don't work, because it's too competitive to make a mark. JSX pops all around the coast and to Vegas and stuff, but I don't see them expanding. We've been promised that DFW flying is gonna start for what... 3 years now?

This is gonna go the way of "Eastern" and flame out, I think.

Jamake1

ExpressJet to Return as Independent Carrier

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 am

Didn’t see this posted anywhere...

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-New ... ndependent

deltadudejg

Re: ExpressJet to Return as Independent Carrier

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 am

Curious to see how this plays out. They’re going for the new Airline idea of going point to point but with Embraer 145s which will be tough in my opinion. JetSuiteX makes it work by offering a premium product. Curious if these routes are going to be EAS cities.

ssteve

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 am

Sounds like ACA --> Independence Air.

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:58 am

ssteve wrote:

Or the last time ExressJet tried the same thing circa 2007

Chuska

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Or the last time ExressJet tried the same thing circa 2007

I think there are plenty of opportunities out there for a 50 seater, several routes that EV did the first time. Just hope fuel doesn't go thru the roof like it did back in 2008.

wedgetail737

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:53 am

I wonder if they try any of their old routes out West. These days, AS has been filling a lot of those routes with their E175's...so it seems.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 am

Hopefully they come back as Jetlink.

DLX737200

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:15 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Hopefully they come back as Jetlink.

I have reason to believe they won't. There is a Part 135 operator based in Omaha, NE called Jet Linx and their call sign is "Jetlinx." Before ExpressJet went to "Acey", Jet Linx had to be "Heartland" because Jetlinx and Jetlink sounded too alike. Now that Jet Linx has "Jetlinx" as their call sign, I'd be surprised if ExpressJet 2.0 (3.0?) uses "Jetlink" again.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 am

Haven't we seen this movie before?

To be fair with all the legacy plane retirements there might actually be more domestic demand then capacity soon enough. If they can do a maybe the allegiant type model of less then daily service and no connections it might work better then say indepence air. Might be way easier after the pandemic for these new airlines to make it , then say in 2019.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:26 pm

I think frankly they would be better than going fully independent and trying to do some type of pro-rate / at-risk arrangement with somebody in order to fall under their branding/marketing/FF programs.
Something like Skywest does with some of its CR2 operation for DL.

Thus they could chase some p2p stuff, EAS stuff, and just give a cut of the fare to a major.

sldispatcher

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm

I’d pick shorter range Allegiant markets and fly on days opposite of G4 as a start. Known markets. And not at same time.
If there is an existing market from XXX-Destin on Sat/Mon/Thu for an A319, I’m guessing there is plenty of leftover for Fri/Sun/Tue for an E145.

And an E145 is not a bad ride at all for 60-90 minutes.

BN727227Ultra

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:57 pm

trexel94 wrote:

I flew them MCI-JAX-MCI fall 2007. Good experience.

WayexTDI

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm

n797mx wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Why can't you make new certificates these days? Too much paperwork/legwork, or is there a cap by the FAA?

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:16 pm

I loved flying XJ on their branded ops back in 07-08. The Friday/Sunday SAT-OKC round trips were a godsend for me while I was in Nav school at Randolph and my wife was up in OK.
XM satellite radio and an actual sandwich/drink on a 60-minute flight? Great for pax...not so great for bottom line. The fuel price surge didn't help either.

Still, if they do re-start, best of luck to them...and hope it's a P2P like what they had last time, as it was a breath of fresh air on thin markets.

floridaflyboy

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:33 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
I loved flying XJ on their branded ops back in 07-08. The Friday/Sunday SAT-OKC round trips were a godsend for me while I was in Nav school at Randolph and my wife was up in OK.
XM satellite radio and an actual sandwich/drink on a 60-minute flight? Great for pax...not so great for bottom line. The fuel price surge didn't help either.

Still, if they do re-start, best of luck to them...and hope it's a P2P like what they had last time, as it was a breath of fresh air on thin markets.

A bit pedantic, but definitely relevant....XJ was Mesaba Airlines. ExpressJet was XE...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos