Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wedgetail737

Re: Expressjet relaunch as independent carrier

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:51 am

Is this Reno Air 2 or Great American 3. I'm glad RNO is getting some love.

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 am

atsiang wrote:
Just like Reno Air back in the 90's I sure hope that Aha does well. Reno Air was one airline that I miss very much. They were a good alternative to SW flying up and down the California coast. Also hope that Aha can fly into the Bay Area but that means it'll be a bloodbath with SW or other carriers.

They could do STS-RNO. The last airline I remember on that route was Westates using a Convair 580. They could do CCR-RNO easy because of its short range, but I don't think the community would allow it.

sldispatcher

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 am

I like on their website how they break out the fees/taxes so boldly.
Best of luck to them. Best of luck to passengers in an IRROPS situation.

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:17 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Chriswebb775 wrote:

RNO as a hub is not a bad market and it's smack in the middle of the west coast perfect for less the 500 mile flying .

RNO isn't bad, but I personally believe SMF would be the better choice. Word on the street is fees are pretty high there, however.

As far as deals and packages, they can also draw for Lake Tahoe demand. I wish the new XJT well!

RNO as a destination/tourist market probably blows SMF out of contention. Nice to see RNO getting some mini-Avelo type love. We'll see....

I agree. SMF doesn't really have anything to offer in terms of tourism. SMF is more of a business destination.

ASFlyer

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:30 am

atsiang wrote:
Just like Reno Air back in the 90's I sure hope that Aha does well. Reno Air was one airline that I miss very much. They were a good alternative to SW flying up and down the California coast. Also hope that Aha can fly into the Bay Area but that means it'll be a bloodbath with SW or other carriers.

beyond having an operating base at RNO this is nothing at all like QQ (Reno Air). It's a whole lot more like Allegiant Airlines using RJ's to fly sub daily flights to small to medium sized airports along the west coast. QQ began flying MD80's from RNO to larger cities along the west coast with frequent flights.

debonair

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 am

Hi to you all,

sorry, to get it straight, there will be no "Expressjet" around and the repaint of the first aircraft was for nothing? Or is this Reno based "aha"-operation just one of different future brands of Expressjet? Will all the Expressjet fleet repainted in this "aha"-colours?

PowerJet

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:03 pm

debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

sorry, to get it straight, there will be no "Expressjet" around and the repaint of the first aircraft was for nothing? Or is this Reno based "aha"-operation just one of different future brands of Expressjet? Will all the Expressjet fleet repainted in this "aha"-colours?

I don't think ExpresJet is coming back. At least not in airline form. The name "AHA" allows them to operate statutorily the same without having to undo furloughs. In essence they will operate a "new" airline, hire new staff and keep the same leadership. Just my two cents.

flyboy7974

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:33 pm

I always thought RNO could support the Allegiant style of routes/service to lure pax to the Reno/Tahoe region.

Shocked by this, but let’s hope it works and grows. I think theres potential from midsize unserved cities , like TUS/BLI/BOI/ABQ/COS to the region 2-3X a week by offering air/hotel packages.

RJNUT

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:06 pm

flyboy7974 wrote:
I always thought RNO could support the Allegiant style of routes/service to lure pax to the Reno/Tahoe region.

Shocked by this, but let’s hope it works and grows. I think theres potential from midsize unserved cities , like TUS/BLI/BOI/ABQ/COS to the region 2-3X a week by offering air/hotel packages.

i would also think there are yet some untapped California markets like SBA,PSP,STS,SBP,etc. who are already familiar with RNO/Tahoe but dread the drive!

jmc1975

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:18 pm

The next 8 markets that would make sense for nonstop service are:

BOI
GEG
PSP
SBA
TUS
ABQ
BZN
SBP

SANFan

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Interesting. The feeling I get is that the majority of people on this thread seem to be thinking that a RNO-hubbed operation up and down the west coast is the extent of what Aha! (ExpressJet) has in mind.

I think, as others have commented, that this is a smaller version of Allegiant -- smaller scope, smaller airplanes, smaller route map -- but there will be multiple hubs (or bases as G4 calls them) with numerous spokes to not-too-distant small markets. Ultimately all over the country but for starters, out west. I doubt that Vegas will be one of their hubs or LAX either -- way too much competition already in place.

In other words, I don't think Aha! will be just an operation based in Reno although they could very well add some more short or even a few medium-haul routes from there; I'll be curious to see how quickly they expand into other hub-and-spoke units.

bb

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:22 pm

debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

Yes...and then shifted a lot of their ops to SJC for AA...then got swallowed up by AA. QQ was a good airline and I got to fly them often.

I totally agree that AHA is NOT EVEN CLOSE to QQ's ops at RNO back in the day.

I remember back in the 1970s and maybe very early 1980's, Great American had scheduled service between RNO and OAK using Baby 9s.

orlandocfi

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:34 pm

PowerJet wrote:
debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

I don't think ExpresJet is coming back. At least not in airline form. The name "AHA" allows them to operate statutorily the same without having to undo furloughs. In essence they will operate a "new" airline, hire new staff and keep the same leadership. Just my two cents.

If there are labor agreements still in place, then anyone remaining on the seniority lists will be staffing that operation. The “aha!” branding doesn’t change that fact.

floridaflyboy

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:37 pm

PowerJet wrote:
debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

This is your second post alluding to such, and the reality is that this isn't at all how it works. The same corporate entity is tied to the agreements. They aren't "undoing" any furloughs and they will be staffing the airline with the same unionized work groups that staffed the airline before. US laws are written specifically to prevent a simple change of name from impacting the rights of the unionized employees. They're coming back before any "off-the street" hires happen. That's how the law works.

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:46 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
RNO isn't bad, but I personally believe SMF would be the better choice. Word on the street is fees are pretty high there, however.

As far as deals and packages, they can also draw for Lake Tahoe demand. I wish the new XJT well!

RNO as a destination/tourist market probably blows SMF out of contention. Nice to see RNO getting some mini-Avelo type love. We'll see....

I agree. SMF doesn't really have anything to offer in terms of tourism. SMF is more of a business destination.

That's what I was thinking, higher-yielding business demand, with the possibility to draw tourism for the Bay and Reno/Tahoe.

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:32 pm

I wish them well. Hopefully, they will last longer than CA Pacific.

lightsaber

Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Routes:
https://amp.freep.com/amp/5920255001

The first eight destinations are:

Pasco/Tri-Cities, Washington: Starts on Oct. 24.

Bakersfield, California: Starts on Oct. 25.

Medford/Ashland, Oregon: Starts on Oct. 31.

Eugene/Springfield, Oregon: Starts on Nov. 1.

Ontario, California: Starts on Nov. 4.

Redmond/Bend, Oregon: Starts on Nov. 5.

Eureka/Arcata, California: Starts on Nov. 9.

Fresno/Yosemite, California: Starts on Nov. 10.

In my opinion, 3 destinations are too close of a drive to bother flying. I would expect another ULCC to take over the Medford route.

I wish them luck, but until business travel recovers, E145s are not in demand.

Lightsaber

jmc1975

Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 pm

lightsaber wrote:

In my opinion, 3 destinations are too close of a drive to bother flying.

Which 3 destinations would those be? FAT is a nearly 5 hour drive to Reno; BFL and ACV are each a 6 1/2 hour drive to Reno?

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:58 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Which 3 destinations would those be? FAT is a nearly 5 hour drive to Reno; BFL and ACV are each a 6 1/2 hour drive to Reno?

FAT is the closest city. For ACV, there is no direct highway link to RNO...it's a long drive.

AHA! Needs to advertise big time and now!

lightsaber

Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:18 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

FAT is the closest city. For ACV, there is no direct highway link to RNO...it's a long drive.

Ok, I errored on drivability of two cities.

Good luck in E-145s in a market of cheap E-190s.

Lightsaber

PowerJet

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
PowerJet wrote:
debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

This is your second post alluding to such, and the reality is that this isn't at all how it works. The same corporate entity is tied to the agreements. They aren't "undoing" any furloughs and they will be staffing the airline with the same unionized work groups that staffed the airline before. US laws are written specifically to prevent a simple change of name from impacting the rights of the unionized employees. They're coming back before any "off-the street" hires happen. That's how the law works.

Firstly, thanks for pointing out how many times I post. Secondly, having worked for ExpressJet for nearly a decade and being in the regional aviation industry for longer, I have been able to learn the inns and outs of the regional world. I did not say that they were changing their name. Why did Trans States have GoJet and Compass? You definitely could not work for all three. Why does ExpressJet need to create that brand? Not saying that I am right, I am saying we can extrapolate some kind of motive for this because—that’s what regional airlines can do, Have done and will do.

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:31 pm

lightsaber wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

Ok, I errored on drivability of two cities.

Good luck in E-145s in a market of cheap E-190s.

Lightsaber

Wouldn't the E-190's be too big for AHA's (Expressjet's) operations?

orlandocfi

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:13 pm

PowerJet wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:
PowerJet wrote:

Firstly, thanks for pointing out how many times I post. Secondly, having worked for ExpressJet for nearly a decade and being in the regional aviation industry for longer, I have been able to learn the inns and outs of the regional world. I did not say that they were changing their name. Why did Trans States have GoJet and Compass? You definitely could not work for all three. Why does ExpressJet need to create that brand? Not saying that I am right, I am saying we can extrapolate some kind of motive for this because—that’s what regional airlines can do, Have done and will do.

Aha! is merely a branding scheme that will be operated by ExpressJet. I have a feeling that they felt it was necessary to do so in order to distinguish itself from its branded venture that operated in California over a decade ago. TransStates/GoJet/Compass were separate entities within a holding company with their own certificates and operated on behalf of various carriers. Very different situation from the one you describe.

RWA380

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
debonair wrote:
Hi to you all,

Yes...and then shifted a lot of their ops to SJC for AA...then got swallowed up by AA. QQ was a good airline and I got to fly them often.

I totally agree that AHA is NOT EVEN CLOSE to QQ's ops at RNO back in the day.

I remember back in the 1970s and maybe very early 1980's, Great American had scheduled service between RNO and OAK using Baby 9s.

I have a picture of one at PDX, sitting remotely by what was flight craft. They did do charters to PDX as well. Honestly I bet they (XP) will do well at first, my Pops is 86 & remembers 30 years ago playing golf all day & gambling all night, writing the expenses off 2-3 times a year for "Dental Conventions".

I would have to go as his care giver & then my better half. Bottom line is, the old man wants to go, so we are going for sure, at least I'm spared the 8 hour drive in his Toyota Sienna, probably newer plane tho'

usxguy

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:44 am

Unless something has changed since January, aha! is a DOT 380 platform- unless XE owns part of aha! now... the business plan has been out for 9 mos raising private equity.

whatusaid

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

FAT is not a 5 hr drive on Friday or Sunday. Add the parking lot that is I-80 on a Sunday, and it's longer, miserable.

One Fresno media outlet is pushing this as a bridge to Tahoe ski resorts. Looking back in time, FAT had RNO on Sierra Pacific, Delta, and a number of first and second generation commuter carriers. And, FAT had Air California Electras and Golden West Dash 7's to Tahoe. And, yes, they were packed on the weekend with skiers. If anything, Aha! could be fun to watch for their ability to bring the AARP crowd to RNO that now are left with only the Swift Air charters, and then the skiers come this winter.

A side note, anyone notice on their route map that ONT gets BOLDer print? The branded product of the past did build up ONT. Does BOLD print suggest ONT will build up again? I'd expect WN will eventually step into ONT-RNO - it's a noted unserved market.

sldispatcher

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:58 am

I think price of oil will determine their fate. $150 bbl oil doomed ExpressJet the first time around.
Their model is fine. Decent pricing. Relatively quick flight over less than pleasant driving distances. I actually think their initial lineup of cities is pretty smart.

Their start up relative to the current political climate is worrisome. Again, oil is headed in the wrong direction.

amcnd

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Good luck trying to get all the skis into a 145’s cargo compartment… Or golf clubs in the summer. And roller bags because the overhead bins are small.. hope they bought more then 1 deice truck…

jikei

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:25 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
PowerJet wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:

Aha! is merely a branding scheme that will be operated by ExpressJet. I have a feeling that they felt it was necessary to do so in order to distinguish itself from its branded venture that operated in California over a decade ago. TransStates/GoJet/Compass were separate entities within a holding company with their own certificates and operated on behalf of various carriers. Very different situation from the one you describe.

Agreed.

While i am no expert, based on my interpretation of their contract of carriage document on their website, especially since they list (albeit blank right now) "ExpressJet Airlines" flight numbers separate from flights as "aha! or AHA AIRLINES" which will be in the 7000-7999 range. They also have flights operated by "XYZ Airlines" listed. Could be placeholder for something too?

I'd venture to guess all flights dealing with Reno will be "Aha!" branded and that in other areas, they'll simply be "ExpressJet Airlines".

I guess it's probably similar (but not necessarily exact) to how ExpressJet had flights into Branson as "Branson Air Express" as a "separate named operation" (or whatever you want to call it) back in 2009-2010.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:34 pm

whatusaid wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

FAT is not a 5 hr drive on Friday or Sunday. Add the parking lot that is I-80 on a Sunday, and it's longer, miserable.

Exactly. Traffic can be so bad that just getting from Reno to Sacramento can be a 4+ hour affair on busy weekend days. Snow can add even more time in the winter (chains are often required on snow days).

MO11

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:04 pm

usxguy wrote:
Unless something has changed since January, aha! is a DOT 380 platform- unless XE owns part of aha! now... the business plan has been out for 9 mos raising private equity.

I think this is going to be like the last PEOPLExpress (Vision Airlines dba), which was DOT 401. Aha! will buy seats on ExpressJet like a travel agent.

34L

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:00 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
The next 8 markets that would make sense for nonstop service are:

BOI
GEG
PSP
SBA
TUS
ABQ
BZN
SBP

A couple adds to your list that I personally think would work is CCR, SMF, and/or SCK...or something really off the chart: APC. All could be ~30-40 minutes gate to gate. Like others have mentioned, the traffic out of those three places to/from RNO especially during ski season is HOURS of driving not to mention the number of times the mountain passes are just closed...which, in turn, cuts Northern California from 90% of the resorts.

I wonder if the E145 has enough cargo space for mountain bikes...

Chriswebb775

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 pm

A couple of destinations that I'm really kind of shocked they didn't go after 1 would be Elko Nevada. Extremely underserved Market with a lot of wealthy people in the mining industry that live there. And TUS ABQ BOI and GEG . Or even Phoenix Mesa . But living in Reno I see them being advertised everywhere so I'm thinking they're going towards the local market. $49 fares are not bad.

BA744PHX

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 am

Chriswebb775 wrote:
A couple of destinations that I'm really kind of shocked they didn't go after 1 would be Elko Nevada. Extremely underserved Market with a lot of wealthy people in the mining industry that live there. And TUS ABQ BOI and GEG . Or even Phoenix Mesa . But living in Reno I see them being advertised everywhere so I'm thinking they're going towards the local market. $49 fares are not bad.

If Elko had any type of meaningful market it they would have more then just 1 flight that’s only going to SLC on DL. That should tell you how limited the market is.

Wingtips56

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:34 am

@ 34L. APC/Napa would be an interesting idea, but I think if APC was to reopen to commercial flights, RNO would not be high on the wish list. Napa County's rule on fly overs is why IASCO (contracted to JAL for pilot training) bailed. I assume they'd still have (an unreasonable) issue with the traffic.

I picked up on your post because I applied to work for Stol Air at APC back in the mid 70's on summer break from college. I later ended up with their successor, WestAir, at SMF. So much for college.

BangersAndMash

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Aha! ... Sorry, couldn't resist :oops:

Isn't she pretty though :D

Is that the bird taking flight for the inaugural on Sunday?

sunking737

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Costs money to fully repaint a plane does it not. Better then nothing at all.

jetmatt777

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:39 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Costs money to fully repaint a plane does it not. Better then nothing at all.

If they can't afford the cost to paint a single small RJ, they probably are not in a good financial capability to run a scheduled operation.

orlandocfi

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:07 pm

The TransStates birds were pretty shabby inside. If they saved money on the half-assed paint job, hopefully they spent it on the interior.

WN732

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 pm

whatusaid wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:

One Fresno media outlet is pushing this as a bridge to Tahoe ski resorts. Looking back in time, FAT had RNO on Sierra Pacific, Delta, and a number of first and second generation commuter carriers. And, FAT had Air California Electras and Golden West Dash 7's to Tahoe. And, yes, they were packed on the weekend with skiers. If anything, Aha! could be fun to watch for their ability to bring the AARP crowd to RNO that now are left with only the Swift Air charters, and then the skiers come this winter.

A side note, anyone notice on their route map that ONT gets BOLDer print? The branded product of the past did build up ONT. Does BOLD print suggest ONT will build up again? I'd expect WN will eventually step into ONT-RNO - it's a noted unserved market.

WN did serve it for a short time a few years ago. The RNO battle is brewing!

Blerg

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:13 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what is this Aha! business?

DLASFlyer

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:23 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
As United still has hundreds of airplanes in that cheatline livery I am sure they are completely thrilled to have any visual association with this....

Probably also not thrilled they own 49% of it too!

jetmatt777

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:26 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
As United still has hundreds of airplanes in that cheatline livery I am sure they are completely thrilled to have any visual association with this....

I think UA long ago sold off ExpressJet. You are thinking of CommutAir that United owns a 49% stake of. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: You are right. I had my regionals mixed up. Yikes.

KCaviator

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 pm

Lmao, this is awful. The United cheat line and painted-over globe is a nice touch. Not that livery determines success, they'll last 3 months at most.

AndoAv8R

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 am

So did they get the high mileage high wear and tear 145s that Commutair didn't want? I see a former Trans States 145 in that same hangar,i assume for aha as well? If so my friend who flew for Trans States until the end said some of those we're in horrible shape

KLMatSJC

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:49 am

AndoAv8R wrote:
So did they get the high mileage high wear and tear 145s that Commutair didn't want? I see a former Trans States 145 in that same hangar,i assume for aha as well? If so my friend who flew for Trans States until the end said some of those we're in horrible shape

The AHA painted bird is N839HK. TSA in the background is N843HK.

Source: My friend whose original pictures those are :)

BangersAndMash

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:20 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I think UA long ago sold off ExpressJet. You are thinking of CommutAir that United owns a 49% stake of. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: You are right. I had my regionals mixed up. Yikes.

I guess if it works, they can always have a codeshare or something. And if it doesn't, they will find out soon enough and the experiment will quickly be over.

LAXintl

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:12 pm

bigb

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 pm

PowerJet wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:
PowerJet wrote:

Trans States, GoJet, Compass under TSH are all separate operations under their own separate AOCs. The only way you get around CBAs is for AHA to receive a new AOC separate from ExpressJet old AOC.

CALMSP

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:26 am

thats a pretty piss poor scheme.....especially if they keep the old CO Exp bottom.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos