Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffrey1970
Topic Author

When UPS Flew Passengers

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:51 am

I remember back in the 90's UPS had passenger service for a short while. Where did they fly to? What was their service like?

7673mech

Re: When UPS Flew Passengers

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:17 am

adamblang

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 am

This doesn't really answer your question but this writeup, with photos and video of the quick change process, is fascinating:

https://aerosavvy.com/ups-727-passenger-flights/

DL_Mech

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:44 am

I seem to remember UPS doing a lot of Mexico flights for package tour operators on the weekends.

They only used former 727QCs to fly passenger flights. I suppose certification was easier since the airplanes once held a passenger interior even though it was ripped out and disposed of 15+ years earlier. You can see that the seats sat a little higher than normal since they were mounted on pallets. Normal 727 seat backs sat just below the top of the cabin windows.

From : https://i0.wp.com/aerosavvy.com/wp-cont ... .jpg?ssl=1
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

cedarjet

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:27 am

The planes were so old that they were beaten out of shape by many landings etc, so the interiors weren’t really interchangeable, and they initially suffered delays and cancellations because the QC interior waiting at a station on a Friday afternoon wouldn’t fit. They figured out pretty quickly that each jet had to have its own interior.

The banana-ing process isn't unique to the 727, BA 747 FO buddy said that in recent years, the first thing you would do after liftoff would be to reach down and give the rudder trim half a turn to correct the plane’s natural desire to wander off to one side. Quite charming really!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 am

It was quite the forward thinking operation. I've never understood why airlines don't use contracted flight attendants. Much more efficient.

SteelChair

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:21 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
It was quite the forward thinking operation. I've never understood why airlines don't use contracted flight attendants. Much more efficient.

Scope clauses?

MartijnNL

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:51 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I've never understood why airlines don't use contracted flight attendants. Much more efficient.

Why would it be much more efficient? Where I work we also use contracted workers. Per year they cost three to four times more than colleagues with a permanent job.

peterinlisbon

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm

cedarjet wrote:
The planes were so old that they were beaten out of shape by many landings etc, so the interiors weren’t really interchangeable, and they initially suffered delays and cancellations because the QC interior waiting at a station on a Friday afternoon wouldn’t fit. They figured out pretty quickly that each jet had to have its own interior.

The banana-ing process isn't unique to the 727, BA 747 FO buddy said that in recent years, the first thing you would do after liftoff would be to reach down and give the rudder trim half a turn to correct the plane’s natural desire to wander off to one side. Quite charming really!

haha, just like my mum's old car.

klm617

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:22 pm

They ran a lot of charters out of Detroit with the 727.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

wedgetail737

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:25 pm

A little off the subject of UPS, but Fedex also briefly carried passengers on MAC flights after they merged with Flying Tigers.

MIflyer12

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:44 pm

adamblang wrote:
This doesn't really answer your question but this writeup, with photos and video of the quick change process, is fascinating:

That gives a pretty good outline. Chasing utilization with old, fuel-guzzling aircraft in 1996. Bold. (Not calling it smart.) Fuel was cheap in 1996.

SteelChair

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

That gives a pretty good outline. Chasing utilization with old, fuel-guzzling aircraft in 1996. Bold. (Not calling it smart.) Fuel was cheap in 1996.

The article says that they had already been re-engined by this point. The re-engining itself was another questionable decision.

BHM

Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 am

Threads like this is why I love visiting here.

Were the oxygen masks part of the overhead bin package?

flyPIT

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:12 am

Seaboard World also carried military passengers on the upper deck of their 747s cargo flights.

FLYi

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:48 am

SteelChair wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

The article says that they had already been re-engined by this point. The re-engining itself was another questionable decision.

They were outfitted with RR Tay engines (like the Fokker F100's)...interesting sound coming from a 727-100 indeed.

smokeybandit

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:50 am

DL_Mech wrote:
I seem to remember UPS doing a lot of Mexico flights for package tour operators on the weekends.

UPS doing "package" tours made me chuckle.

USAirKid

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:33 am

smokeybandit wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

UPS doing "package" tours made me chuckle.

If you've been watching the tracking history of a 3 Day Select package, you'd realize they still give packages tours through the UPS system...

Flow2706

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:06 pm

cedarjet wrote:

It is also an issue when doing major structural repairs on aging airplanes. In one of the previous companies I worked for there was an incident involving a fire in a Cargo compartment of an A330 (on the ground, during loading/unloading). The damage apparently wasn’t too bad, but it was necessary to replace some structural panels. According to maintenance it was impossible to use new panels as it just wouldn’t fit as the structure was „bent“ from all the pressurisation cycles.

Italianflyer

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:21 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

For a cargo airline it makes perfect sense. Why would UPS add a cadre of > 100 FAs to payroll (who would be unionized by IBT immediately)? I believe Atlas did the same thing with their IAH-Lunada venture.
I met the gentleman who ran the contract operation. Was called ISI IIRC. His pic is in that article. He was career Eastern based at DCA then was involved with getting the short-lived USAfrica certified. The primary domicile was SDF with smaller bases at PIT, CVG and PHL (I think). Rotations for Inflight were all scheduled as day trips like G4.

WayexTDI

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm

BHM wrote:
Threads like this is why I love visiting here.

Were the oxygen masks part of the overhead bin package?

O2 masks (and chemical generators) are still today part of the overhead bin package.

LASVegan

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:47 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
A little off the subject of UPS, but Fedex also briefly carried passengers on MAC flights after they merged with Flying Tigers.

Glad someone brought up the Tigers/Fedex MAC charters. I believe it was a single ghost 747. My mother worked for Tigers and FedEx 25 or so years. She took me on the MAC scheduled charter LAX-STL a number of times around the late 80s-early 90s. They used the TBIT in LAX and the east terminal in STL before Southwest was large there. The East terminal was pretty much a 3 or so gate outpost before Southwest built it up. The Flying Tiger MAC charter didn’t seem like the best run service, the fights were always very delayed, I mean like many hours delayed. I remember also having the hardest landing I’ve ever experienced going into STL once. Several masks deployed, not pretty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos