Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 17
 
User avatar
Qatara340
Topic Author
Posts: 1691
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 2:07 am

Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 am

Sriwijaya Air flight #SJ182 feared crashed minutes after departure from Jakarta.

@flightradar24
Last edited by qf789 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title updated for clarity
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
 
paullam
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

Re: 737 Crash Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am

I get what you mean...

Image
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N A21N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15842
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:42 am

I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949
 
Morrofinch
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am

Early reports are very very grim.

My thoughts and prayers are with all on the plane.
 
Opus99
Posts: 1905
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am

zeke wrote:
I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.

737-500
 
Someone83
Posts: 5139
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am

zeke wrote:
I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.


They don't have MAX....and it is not cleared to fly in Indonesia yet.

It is a 737-500 btw
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5848
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am

This is the plane; a former Continental/United

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b737-27323.htm
 
kaitak
Posts: 10035
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 am

PK-CLC, formerly N27610 (since May 1994) with Continental and later, UA. With Sriwijaya since 2012.
 
AeroplaneFreak
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 am

zeke wrote:
I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.


Light fires much? As if you don't already know Sriwijaya Air don't have the MAX let alone it being allowed to fly in Indonesia at the moment.
 
User avatar
Rajahdhani
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:53 am

https://www.dw.com/en/indonesia-sriwijaya-air-plane-loses-contact-shortly-after-takeoff/a-56178706
The flight was carrying 59 passengers, including five children and a baby, reported Indonesian newspaper Republika.
It was heading to Pontianak, the provincial capital of West Kalimantan.
The plane lost more than 10,000 feet of altitude in less than a minute, reported flight tracker website FlightRadar24.


Early reporting, admittedly - but so far, this is what is being reported to the public.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 am

A very steep fall. Not a descent anymore.
From that altitude he could have glided back to the runway even with engines out?
Last edited by Noshow on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sdbelgium
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 am

Noshow wrote:
From that altitude he could have glided back to the runway even with engines out for some reason?

Even with two engines out, a 737 would not lose over 10.000ft in less than a minute.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11801
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 am

Just a reminder if you are posting factual information it MUST BE sourced correctly. This includes providing a link to the news story plus adding your own comments, quotes of the story are optional though only a fair use portion of the article is permitted to be used.
Forum Moderator
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:06 am

Really sad news to hear.
 
User avatar
teme82
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:38 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:12 am

It seems that debris have been found.
Source: https://www.airlive.net/breaking-sriwij ... r-takeoff/
Flying high and low
 
andz
Posts: 7772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:15 am

Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
AeroplaneFreak
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 am

andz wrote:
Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.


There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.
 
wezgulf3
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:19 am

AeroplaneFreak wrote:
andz wrote:
Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.


There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.
 
AeroplaneFreak
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:23 am

wezgulf3 wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:
andz wrote:
Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.


There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


Good point and apologies to andz, I am dreading the number of comments and articles that will relate this somehow to the MAX.
 
jabarei
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:31 am

So far Indonesian media's (at least the most popular one) didn't mention MAX. All news sources that I've run through says it was Boeing 737-524.
 
SimProgrammer
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:50 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 am

A.net is great at giving tomorrow's news today. The 735 went down just after 07.40 GMT. its now 11.32 and this thread announcing the accident was started 8 hours ago.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!
 
anatolialevant
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 am

AeroplaneFreak wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:

There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately, I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


Good point and apologies to andz, I am dreading the number of comments and articles that will relate this somehow to the MAX.

Sadly, we already have (in the comment section of local medias). It doesn't help with the fact that the sequences (from take-off to missing) looks eerily similar to the MAX crash, and the public hastily points their pitchforks at Boeing straight away. :cry:
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 am

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

The Jakarta Airport METAR showed a Thunderstorm was over the airfield just prior to departure along with CB clouds to the West and North West, which was where the departure track of the aircraft was.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3077
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:38 am

Those graphs do not look good, ugh.
 
AeroplaneFreak
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:39 am

anatolialevant wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:

Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately, I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


Good point and apologies to andz, I am dreading the number of comments and articles that will relate this somehow to the MAX.

Sadly, we already have (in the comment section of local medias). It doesn't help with the fact that the sequences (from take-off to missing) looks eerily similar to the MAX crash, and the public hastily points their pitchforks at Boeing straight away. :cry:


Yet 95% of those commenting wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 737 and an A320. They also probably don't realise that most accidents occur on take off or landing.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am

According to ADS-B data the aircraft had departed Sokarno's runway 25R at 07:36Z, was climbing through 10,600 feet at 07:39:50Z about 11nm north of Sokarno Airport and was at 07:40:11Z at 1400 feet about 1.6nm northnortheast of that position (average sink rate 26,300 fpm).

Metars:
WIII 090900Z 29006KT 6000 -RA BKN017 25/23 Q1006 NOSIG=
WIII 090830Z 29008KT 4000 RA OVC017 25/24 Q1006 NOSIG=
WIII 090800Z 28008KT 4000 -RA BKN016 OVC018 26/24 Q1006 NOSIG=
WIII 090730Z 30006KT 5000 -RA FEW017CB OVC018 25/24 Q1006 NOSIG=

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

07:36Z is 14:36L, so broad daylight.
However, the METAR indicates a closed cloud cover starting at 1,800 ft (OVC018) and some thunderstorm activity (FEW017CB). So they could've easily been in IMC, which makes spatial disorientation possible.
That alone should not cause a crash, though, so I'd expect at least one further contributing factor.

Sad events, either way.

Residents of the islands nearby (Thousand Islands) were out on the sea in two boats when they heard two explosions, then found debris afloat at the sea. It was raining at that time. The residents returned to their islands about 2 hours later and reported to police.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

Likely no survivors...
 
anatolialevant
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am

(Presumed) Debris found near the Laki Island (link in Bahasa Indonesia):
https://nasional.okezone.com/read/2021/01/09/337/2341685/ini-foto-foto-yang-diduga-serpihan-pesawat-sriwijaya-air-di-kepulauan-seribu

EDIT: There's a video on the lower part of page of the rescue teams and locals picking up pieces of the (presumably from SJ182) aircraft
Last edited by anatolialevant on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
SGAviation
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 am

SimProgrammer wrote:
A.net is great at giving tomorrow's news today. The 735 went down just after 07.40 GMT. its now 11.32 and this thread announcing the accident was started 8 hours ago.


Are you living in GMT+8 timezone? This thread was started just over an hour ago. You need to set your time-zone in the User Control Panel so when you log-in it will auto adjust the timing.
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 am

Sriwijaya Air has a poor safety record, even for Indonesia. Plenty of incidents and a fatal accident within the last 12 years, especially with such a small number of aircraft. Recently they severed their relationship with Garuda and there were conflicts over payment for maintenance services and fears about how a small airline could operate without larger support.

In 2019 Sriwijaya’s own Director of Safety recommended the airline be grounded temporarily over concerns about safe maintenance practices and lack of engineers, spare parts and tools:

https://en.tempo.co/read/1269504/anothe ... wijaya-air

If an Indonesian Airline Executive recommends his own airline be grounded then you know something must definitely be wrong with that company’s operations.
 
anatolialevant
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:57 am

Quick update: AV Herald has updated the news with photo of the first debris found.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

A torn jean, wirings, and what could be some reinforcing plates or structures (the plates has so many rivet holes, hence the guess). Looks like, sadly, a catastrophic crash.
 
11C
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:03 pm

wezgulf3 wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:
andz wrote:
Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.


There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


Of course they will mention it. It’s their job, it is relevant to the story. They aren’t the PR department of Boeing.
 
sandyb123
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 pm

wezgulf3 wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:
andz wrote:
Sky News actually said Boeing 737-500 in their report minutes ago.


There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


The BBC that have made the connection to the MAX.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55601909

RIP to those involved. A sad day.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club
 
User avatar
FrenchPotatoEye
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:08 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:

There was never any question that is wasn't a 735.


Knowing Sky News I’m guessing the fact they actually said it was a 500 is the reason he has highlighted it. Unfortunately I’m guessing the MAX (because it’s a Boeing) will be mentioned at so point by the gutter press.


The BBC that have made the connection to the MAX.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55601909

RIP to those involved. A sad day.

Sandyb123


To be the fair, BBC clearly states that 737500 is not a max. They have done right by showing this is different airplane.

RIP to those involved. Amen.
 
jodieellis
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:34 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 pm

I check FR24 and the plane suggested to have stalled to the sea. And no survivors report to. 1 year ago UIA crashed and a year later another 737 crash in Indonesia. Sad day to aviation.
 
Heinkel
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:30 pm

anatolialevant wrote:
Quick update: AV Herald has updated the news with photo of the first debris found.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

A torn jean, wirings, and what could be some reinforcing plates or structures (the plates has so many rivet holes, hence the guess). Looks like, sadly, a catastrophic crash.


For me the debris looks more like household waste than debris from an a/c crash.

Especially the colours ot the wires are those, which are typicaly used in household electric installations.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Recently they severed their relationship with Garuda and there were conflicts over payment for maintenance services and fears about how a small airline could operate without larger support.

SJ failed to pay their bills, which made Garuda stop providing services. Only then did they terminate the agreement. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... y-concerns

SJ is certainly one of the less reputable airlines within Indonesia, though past accidents do not seem to involve maintenance issues.

“The removal of the Garuda Indonesia logo from planes operated by Sriwijaya Air is part of an effort to protect the Garuda Indonesia Group brand, especially considering that the services provided by Sriwijaya Air Group haven’t been up to our standards since the start of the dispute,” Garuda Indonesia spokesperson M. Ikhsan Rosan said in a statement on Tuesday. “We’ve decided to remove the Garuda Indonesia logo to ensure that our brand only represents the highest standards of on-flight service and safety.”

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/201 ... spute.html
 
Interested
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:36 pm

AeroplaneFreak wrote:
zeke wrote:
I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.


Light fires much? As if you don't already know Sriwijaya Air don't have the MAX let alone it being allowed to fly in Indonesia at the moment.


Fact is the first thought for vast majority when they read a 737 has crashed shortly after take off would be the same

Please Lord not another Max

Let's be honest
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Interested wrote:
AeroplaneFreak wrote:
zeke wrote:
I just hope this is not a max. The last position is near where lion air went down.


Light fires much? As if you don't already know Sriwijaya Air don't have the MAX let alone it being allowed to fly in Indonesia at the moment.


Fact is the first thought for vast majority when they read a 737 has crashed shortly after take off would be the same

Please Lord not another Max

Let's be honest


I'd assume anyone participating in a specialist aviation forum online like this one might be better informed ? There are copious amounts of discussion, links and information as to the current status of the Max and where it's flying again. Unfortunately all this proves is that 'Max hysteria' is as we expected, still a thing.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15842
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

The Jakarta Airport METAR showed a Thunderstorm was over the airfield just prior to departure along with CB clouds to the West and North West, which was where the departure track of the aircraft was.


CB clouds would be reported every day in CGK, and something the crew would be very familiar with. A CB cloud or something like FEW018CB on the metar is something any pilot would expect every day operating in the area. If they are experiencing heavy rain and strong wings, and reduced visibility that would indicate some significant weather.

JannEejit wrote:
I'd assume anyone participating in a specialist aviation forum online like this one might be better informed ? There are copious amounts of discussion, links and information as to the current status of the Max and where it's flying again. Unfortunately all this proves is that 'Max hysteria' is as we expected, still a thing.


When I wrote that post the thread was brand new with no replies, the aircraft type had not been established. I had no personal knowledge of what equipment was being used by that flight. It’s been reported on this thread and aherald subsequently as a 735, FR24 has it as a 738.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949
 
 
dragon6172
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:06 pm

Heinkel wrote:
anatolialevant wrote:
Quick update: AV Herald has updated the news with photo of the first debris found.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

A torn jean, wirings, and what could be some reinforcing plates or structures (the plates has so many rivet holes, hence the guess). Looks like, sadly, a catastrophic crash.


For me the debris looks more like household waste than debris from an a/c crash.

Especially the colours ot the wires are those, which are typicaly used in household electric installations.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Looks ok to me...especially the black "snake skin" wire sheathing you see in the top left of the picture.
Phrogs Phorever
 
anatolialevant
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Heinkel wrote:
anatolialevant wrote:
Quick update: AV Herald has updated the news with photo of the first debris found.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

A torn jean, wirings, and what could be some reinforcing plates or structures (the plates has so many rivet holes, hence the guess). Looks like, sadly, a catastrophic crash.


For me the debris looks more like household waste than debris from an a/c crash.

Especially the colours ot the wires are those, which are typicaly used in household electric installations.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.


Doubt it. Wire colours are standardized, and so it could be from aircraft as it is from electric install. However, due to their length and uniform sizes, I assume it is from untangled wiring loom.
New photos also surfaced from the SAR team:
https://news.detik.com/foto-news/d-5327420/puing-puing-diduga-pesawat-sriwijaya-air-ditemukan-di-kepulauan-seribu/3?zoom=1

Looks like pieces of the rear end or vertical fins, since the pieces have 2 shades of blue (the body only has dark blue, white and red). And pretty shredded too.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8908
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Sriwijaya Air has a poor safety record, even for Indonesia. Plenty of incidents and a fatal accident within the last 12 years, especially with such a small number of aircraft. Recently they severed their relationship with Garuda and there were conflicts over payment for maintenance services and fears about how a small airline could operate without larger support.

In 2019 Sriwijaya’s own Director of Safety recommended the airline be grounded temporarily over concerns about safe maintenance practices and lack of engineers, spare parts and tools:

https://en.tempo.co/read/1269504/anothe ... wijaya-air

If an Indonesian Airline Executive recommends his own airline be grounded then you know something must definitely be wrong with that company’s operations.

Usual nonsense about Indonesian carriers. Sriwijaya have never killed a passenger, in 2008 an overrun ran over a farmer and that’s it. Very sad day for their good record to end but no need to pretend it’s a pre-existing condition.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
mxaxai
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:17 pm

zeke wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

The Jakarta Airport METAR showed a Thunderstorm was over the airfield just prior to departure along with CB clouds to the West and North West, which was where the departure track of the aircraft was.


CB clouds would be reported every day in CGK, and something the crew would be very familiar with. A CB cloud or something like FEW018CB on the metar is something any pilot would expect every day operating in the area. If they are experiencing heavy rain and strong wings, and reduced visibility that would indicate some significant weather.

The satellite precipitation/cloud cover image on avherald suggests that CGK may have been on the edge of a large CB cluster but the crash site does not appear to have any rain.

A regular satellite image even shows some ocean surface through the clouds at the crash site, weather conditions would have improved on their way north: https://himawari.asia/himawari8-image.h ... 0178000000
Image
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Just fell from the sky at 11,000 feet, or was it forced that way? The fall appears to be a free fall or straight vertical (plunged into the ocean) as it was less than 2 minutes from climbing to crash. I would imagine there would be eyewitnesses to this crash. Planespotters noted a nose-dive.
Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 4179
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:19 pm

cedarjet wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Sriwijaya Air has a poor safety record, even for Indonesia. Plenty of incidents and a fatal accident within the last 12 years, especially with such a small number of aircraft. Recently they severed their relationship with Garuda and there were conflicts over payment for maintenance services and fears about how a small airline could operate without larger support.

In 2019 Sriwijaya’s own Director of Safety recommended the airline be grounded temporarily over concerns about safe maintenance practices and lack of engineers, spare parts and tools:

https://en.tempo.co/read/1269504/anothe ... wijaya-air

If an Indonesian Airline Executive recommends his own airline be grounded then you know something must definitely be wrong with that company’s operations.

Usual nonsense about Indonesian carriers. Sriwijaya have never killed a passenger, in 2008 an overrun ran over a farmer and that’s it. Very sad day for their good record to end but no need to pretend it’s a pre-existing condition.


I don't know anything about this airline, but on balance, Indonesia must have one of the world's worst safety records stemming from strains in the system brought on by very substantial and growing demand, difficulties with pilot training and maintenance, and so forth. This is just terrible news.
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:27 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Usual nonsense about Indonesian carriers. Sriwijaya have never killed a passenger, in 2008 an overrun ran over a farmer and that’s it.


What nonsense? Indonesia has one of the world’s poorest aviation safety records. And amongst that country it appears Sriwijaya have had multiple landing accidents, a case of mistaken airport, and their recorded history of poor maintenance issues. All for a carrier with a relatively small number of aircraft.

All talk now and assigning of blame is speculation of course, even the FR24 data can be corrupted or misleading. But let’s not pretend we’re talking about an reputable airline being overseen by a first world regulator.

Very sad day for their good record to end but no need to pretend it’s a pre-existing condition.


An aviation safety expert once told me “just because an airline has not had a fatal crash does not automatically make them safe, nor does having a previous fatal crash automatically make them unsafe”.
 
anatolialevant
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:30 pm

mxaxai wrote:
zeke wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

The Jakarta Airport METAR showed a Thunderstorm was over the airfield just prior to departure along with CB clouds to the West and North West, which was where the departure track of the aircraft was.


CB clouds would be reported every day in CGK, and something the crew would be very familiar with. A CB cloud or something like FEW018CB on the metar is something any pilot would expect every day operating in the area. If they are experiencing heavy rain and strong wings, and reduced visibility that would indicate some significant weather.

The satellite precipitation/cloud cover image on avherald suggests that CGK may have been on the edge of a large CB cluster but the crash site does not appear to have any rain.

A regular satellite image even shows some ocean surface through the clouds at the crash site, weather conditions would have improved on their way north: https://himawari.asia/himawari8-image.h ... 0178000000
Image

Someone on a flight within that area on the hour of accident (GA409, A330) reported pretty rough approach to Jakarta. (DISCLAIMER: "pretty rough" is a subjective matter, and not an official, scientific indication of the actual severity of the weather. Please read it with a load of salt). -> https://twitter.com/bayusutr/status/1347860467046207488

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Just fell from the sky at 11,000 feet, or was it forced that way? The fall appears to be a free fall or straight vertical (plunged into the ocean) as it was less than 2 minutes from climbing to crash. I would imagine there would be eyewitnesses to this crash. I also cannot rule out an in-flight breakup, although the tracking goes to 250 feet.

You mean deliberately flown downward? I doubt it, since ADS-B data suggested that the plane lost speed after 10900 feet, and continues to do so until the last 250 feet (to which the speed jumped significantly to 300+ knots). My hunch is on stalling, but I cannot answer on how or why.
Last edited by anatolialevant on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3687
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Sriwijaya Air 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashes shortly after takeoff

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:32 pm

Very sorry to learn this
Airliners.net of the Future
 
baloghadam
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:26 am

Re: Breaking: 737 Crashed Indonesia

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm

anatolialevant wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
zeke wrote:
You mean deliberately flown downward? I doubt it, since ADS-B data suggested that the plane lost speed after 10900 feet, and continues to do so until the last 250 feet (to which the speed jumped significantly to 300+ knots). My hunch is on stalling, but I cannot answer on how or why.


ADS-B data on FR24 suggests to me that the plane did not lose speed, but altitude, very suddenly. It lost ground speed thereafter, but it is probably due to the vertical fall. Even a stall is not so sudden, and the speed does not suggest it at all. Of course, we do not know the wind, but I cannot imagine such a sudden change in the wind that a plane climbs with 287 knots GS at one moment and then stalls with the same speed.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 17

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 747d10, a350lover, Arniepie, bar1, bombayduck, BrianDromey, DartHerald, DLNZ, FluidFlow, Google [Bot], ifly4free, Jerseyguy, Majestic-12 [Bot], MrBren, NG263, Opus99, PA515, PANAMsterdam, shindig31, slinky09, Swiss03 and 200 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos