Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jreeves96

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:33 am

darloscott wrote:
National Airlines are operating Rockford-Munich-Tokyo Narita-Seoul Incheon-Munich-Rockford starting last week with a second flight due to start at the end of February routing to Chennai. Both on behalf of DB Schenker. Article mentions both B747 and B777 will operate these... National don't have any B777F do they?

https://www.aircargonews.net/freight-fo ... ontinents/

Looks like the first rotation flew on N952CA as
NCR890 RFD-MUC-KGF-NRT Sat/Sun
NCR891 NRT-ICN-KGF-MUC-RFD Sun/Mon

Atlas has also been operating an RFD flight for DB Schenker. Loadmasters have been working it instead of ORD Ops but its a weekly flight so.

And for 704... not gonna say much but I believe Atlas has some special plans for her.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:10 am

DLNZ: Great list!

I have a few additions.

First, I would keep an eye on the Asia Pacific Airlines 727 N705AA, which flew to BGI on the 21st, but hasn't moved since then. Don't know what's up with her, but she's a pretty bird.

Second, some color on KII: 725CK is Air Horse One (which I think you know from your comment about her "horsing" around). She has been in maintenance at OSC since 1/6/21.
N726CK, which had been doing Caribbean work and such, stepped in carrying the horses, which is why you see the destinations for her that you do. If she went to OSC, one possibility is that Kalitta is transferring all the horse-carrying innards back onto Air Horse One because she's done with her maintenance. Or 726 is broken or needs maint. Let's hope it's the former.

Third, don't forget 729. N729CK has been doing one or two trips a day to the routes that we usually see run for Amerijet, but also some others (like PAP) that we don't see often. She also isn't running with an Amerijet flight number. This either means that the forwarder hired her directly, or it means that Amerijet isn't bothering using them with an Amerijet number anymore. (Probably the latter because the TSU aircraft are also running under TSU numbers often. Like 281FL flew to SJU today as AJTxxxx, but flew back as TSUxxxx. So I don't know if it means anything.)

dcs921

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:25 am

I posted in the Lufthansa MD-11 thread. With a few updates.

D-ALCI has been officially retired from Lufthansa. Ferried FRA-SAT LH8152. Going to UPS as N264UP. N264UP shows in FAA registry now.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/GEC8152-1611817589-0-1-115

From Lufthansa Cargo's instagram page. Sorry I couldn't find any Twitter post.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKlYpl_gjZ-/?igshid=1svul69c2jiye

76er

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:43 am

About those QF 744ERs and possible conversion..

I may be wrong but aren’t these aircraft the only passenger 744ER aircraft built? Could that mean a cargo conversion to BCF or BDSF would need to be certified seperately?

wjcandee

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:47 am

dcs921 wrote:
I posted in the Lufthansa MD-11 thread. With a few updates.

D-ALCI has been officially retired from Lufthansa. Ferried FRA-SAT LH8152. Going to UPS as N264UP. N264UP shows in FAA registry now.

Nice send-off from LH's Instagram page! Sweet.

Thanks for sharing!

Too bad D-ALCL had the misfortune of being purchased by Western Global rather than UPS. Lucky little -ALCI, to get the new home she did.

ALCL is now N804SN. She has been sitting at SHV (the Black Hole of Western Global maintenance) for two-and-a-half years. I saw a video from a guy who went there to inspect her in mid-2018 and start her on the path to fly for WGN. Then nada. She just sits. Sad.

Speaking of which, N356KD, one of only 3 744s at WGN, is still sitting at CAE over five weeks after they smacked her wingtip into a light pole. So they bring one 744 online, finally, and then one goes down for maintenance for an Only-at-WGN length of time. Maybe the damage was way more severe than it looked at the time, which is certainly-possible. Or maybe WGN uses snails to do its maintenance work (or, more likely, to manage its maintenance).

747classic

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 am

76er wrote:
About those QF 744ERs and possible conversion..

I may be wrong but aren’t these aircraft the only passenger 744ER aircraft built? Could that mean a cargo conversion to BCF or BDSF would need to be certified seperately?

Yes, only 6 have been built.
The -ER (Extented Range) in 747-438ER is only a Boeing PR addition , in the 747 Type Certificate this subtype is not indicated, it's a HGW version of the 747-400. and a possible -BDSF conversion could be certified under an amended IAI/Bedek FAA Suplemental Type Certificate ST01706SE
See : https://www.iai.co.il/drupal/sites/defa ... %20STC.pdf

The -BCF conversion program has been terminated years ago and will not be restarted for only 6 possible candidates.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Armadillo1

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:21 am

Spacepope wrote:
She's barely broken in, with (according the the last SDR from April) with just 68,000 hours and 28,500 cycles.

We've seen 767s with twice the hours head to conversion (I'm looking at you, Cargojet) but the market has spoken and it's moving on from the old 3-holers.

any info about 767 max hours/cycles?

wjcandee

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am

Armadillo1 wrote:

LOV on the 767 is defined by cycles, and it is 50,000 cycles.

There is an ability to fly a 767 past the LOV with a special FAA-approved maintenance program, but nobody does it, to my knowledge. ABX Air has flown a couple of frames virtually to the last cycle, but decided that it wasn't worth the extra maintenance expense (and uncharted territory) to go beyond that, and thus retired them. (N798AX and N792AX are examples.)

Spacepope

Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
She's barely broken in, with (according the the last SDR from April) with just 68,000 hours and 28,500 cycles.

We've seen 767s with twice the hours head to conversion (I'm looking at you, Cargojet) but the market has spoken and it's moving on from the old 3-holers.

Originally the anticipated max hours for each type was 150,000. The max cycles was planned to be 75,000 for the 200/300 and 60,000 for the 300F and 400. The max cycles hae been dialed down, but I seem to recall max hours is still high. Early figures herehttps://www.boeing.com/commercial/a ... 2012_q4/2/

Cargojet for some bizarre reason converted C-FCAE which had 138,000 hours on it when retired by AC. This was the absolute highest hour total for any 767 at the time (though some DL birds were nipping at its heels). https://www.aircanada.com/content/airca ... ement.html That'll take you to the 150,000 hour limit in well under a decade of typical amazon-level flying, but if its just used as a low utilization nightly shuttle between Hamilton and Montreal, it'll serve a longer time.
The last of the famous international playboys

Armadillo1

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Cargojet for some bizarre reason converted C-FCAE which had 138,000 hours on it when retired by AC. This was the absolute highest hour total for any 767 at the time (though some DL birds were nipping at its heels). https://www.aircanada.com/content/airca ... ement.html That'll take you to the 150,000 hour limit in well under a decade of typical amazon-level flying, but if its just used as a low utilization nightly shuttle between Hamilton and Montreal, it'll serve a longer time.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-fcae

thank you
she still flying now, wow.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Looks like OB-2059-P is descending into GEO (Georgetown, Guyana) as we speak. Back in action after a few days' rest in MIA. N873SJ still at MIA

CX747

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:39 pm

Article below discusses the massive change in the cargo/air freight industry over the past year. How certain changes in operations are now permanent. How certain old practices are now discarded and new operations are signed to long term deals. Belly freight will return but I believe the industry has changed now and all-cargo ops will not whine down.

https://theloadstar.com/changing-air-ca ... ing-board/
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:57 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like OB-2059-P is descending into GEO (Georgetown, Guyana) as we speak. Back in action after a few days' rest in MIA. N873SJ still at MIA

Actually landed at PBM (Paramaribo, Suriname) instead of GEO. Probably awaiting return to MIA now

jbs2886

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:16 pm

CX747 wrote:
Article below discusses the massive change in the cargo/air freight industry over the past year. How certain changes in operations are now permanent. How certain old practices are now discarded and new operations are signed to long term deals. Belly freight will return but I believe the industry has changed now and all-cargo ops will not whine down.

https://theloadstar.com/changing-air-ca ... ing-board/

I'm not sure I agree long-term. For the next few years while we recover (hopefully), yes. But after that substantial belly capacity will return, which will drop prices. The freight forwarders will reduce (probably substantially and in some cases, entirely) charter capacity. We may, however, see some charter all-cargo ops survive because they maybe end up providing a service that a forwarder will pay a premium for - I just think that will be an exception to the rule.

HPRamper

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:42 pm

A lot of belly capacity is gone now. Look how many widebodies were retired by passenger airlines. Not all of those are going to come back as a 1-for-1.

jbs2886

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:53 pm

HPRamper wrote:
A lot of belly capacity is gone now. Look how many widebodies were retired by passenger airlines. Not all of those are going to come back as a 1-for-1.

The capacity is gone short-term. Long-term it is coming back (and will grow) and it doesn't matter if its 1-for-1. A significant return of belly capacity substantially decreases the need for charter capacity and even if it did not all return (which it will long-term) it takes a huge chunk out of the current cargo market. I think we are also in a unique situation where a lot more cargo is time sensitive - a lot of which will revert back to being able to ship via lower cost options (ship) when the supply chain stabilizes.

Spacepope

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:48 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

The capacity is gone short-term. Long-term it is coming back (and will grow) and it doesn't matter if its 1-for-1. A significant return of belly capacity substantially decreases the need for charter capacity and even if it did not all return (which it will long-term) it takes a huge chunk out of the current cargo market. I think we are also in a unique situation where a lot more cargo is time sensitive - a lot of which will revert back to being able to ship via lower cost options (ship) when the supply chain stabilizes.

Yes but belly capacity returning 2 summers from now is going to shake up the rando-freighter market till then. We're going to see chaos for a while, as the whole Brussels Airlines getting 4 A330s for cargo-only ops today. When things get back to normal they'll likely park the A343s and swap out their pax fleet, but int he meantime they'll still pile hours on pax aircraft and take advantage of this strange situation we are in now.

Boeing has 80 undelivered 787s parked. Sounds like a lot, but in the same time we've pulled 20+ 767s out of passenger service and more to come, the loss of basically the entire passenger 744 fleet and converted freighters getting hours piled ont hem by taking over many transoceanic routes... things really don't look so grim.

jbs2886

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 am

Spacepope wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

Yes but belly capacity returning 2 summers from now is going to shake up the rando-freighter market till then. We're going to see chaos for a while, as the whole Brussels Airlines getting 4 A330s for cargo-only ops today. When things get back to normal they'll likely park the A343s and swap out their pax fleet, but int he meantime they'll still pile hours on pax aircraft and take advantage of this strange situation we are in now.

Boeing has 80 undelivered 787s parked. Sounds like a lot, but in the same time we've pulled 20+ 767s out of passenger service and more to come, the loss of basically the entire passenger 744 fleet and converted freighters getting hours piled ont hem by taking over many transoceanic routes... things really don't look so grim.

I’m not seeing your point-2 summers from now is still short-term. My issue the the article posted is that it postulates long-term impacts that I don’t think will happen. We will continue to have a different market until we get recovery, which is anticipated around 2025.

CX747

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:41 am

As we all know, time will go by and we shall see what occurs. Belly space will comeback, as will travel. I forsee though a change in how shipping has been done. I don't forsee it all going back to the way it was. People now have new routines. Customers have new ways of buying. Shippers have adjusted and formulated new capabilities. Which of these stays as we recover will be marked with interest.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

CX747

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:58 am

Anyone have any news on EX-47001? Seems to still be in Karachi.

Also, ER-BBJ, the Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Only Nose loading jet, from our beloved 747 Aerotranscargo fleet has been busy. NQZ-LGG-NQZ-KHN-NQZ, wash, rinse and repeat.

Swiss03

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 pm

hi all,
With 747-400 in lukewarm demand, is there any reason not to convert the BA and QF (non-ER) examples, apart from the fact that they are powered by the RB211, they all seem to be in good condition with all being relatively young frames (20-23) Years old. this goes especially for the G-CIV* examples left that are stored in casteleon , also is there any reason the recent Lufthansa retirement haven't been given a new lease on life D-ABVO/P/R/S and have to my knowledge been sold to GE aviation fro scrapping.

thanks for any insight

CX747

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Swiss03 wrote:
hi all,
With 747-400 in lukewarm demand, is there any reason not to convert the BA and QF (non-ER) examples, apart from the fact that they are powered by the RB211, they all seem to be in good condition with all being relatively young frames (20-23) Years old. this goes especially for the G-CIV* examples left that are stored in casteleon , also is there any reason the recent Lufthansa retirement haven't been given a new lease on life D-ABVO/P/R/S and have to my knowledge been sold to GE aviation fro scrapping.

thanks for any insight

You've stolen the thoughts right out of my brain. The ex BA ships are very young for 747-400s. Specifically the G-BYG series. I have been surprised someone hasn't attempted to snap these up. Now that we have a conversion line truly running again, maybe there is an opportunity.

Swiss03

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:52 pm

CX747 wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
hi all,

thanks for any insight

You've stolen the thoughts right out of my brain. The ex BA ships are very young for 747-400s. Specifically the G-BYG series. I have been surprised someone hasn't attempted to snap these up. Now that we have a conversion line truly running again, maybe there is an opportunity.

what I have heard from inside BA is that this is exactly the reason that while the G-BNL* and early G-CIV* birds have been scrapped most of the later G-CIV* and all of the G-BYG* (Excluding the preserved example) aircraft have been stored and not scrapped, maybe there is still some hope

On that note, is there any reason that China southern and China airlines have temporarily parked 2 (their only 2) and 3 747-400F respectively for the time being?

trex8

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:52 pm

Only 1 CI 744F has been parked recently (besides the two parked in the desert the last decade)

Planespotters shows B18701, 18718 and 18719 parked but :

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/b-18701. active all Jan
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/b-18718 active all Jan
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/b-18719 last flight Dec 21 2020

They also took 2 777Fs since Dec 2020 and 1 more is due for delivery any time

IIts not uncommon to see one of their active 18 744Fs parked for a heavy check . (not that I know for sure thats why B18719 is parked for a month) but there was one out in the spring and B18717 was out of action Dec 10-27 last year.

CIs freighters have been a godsend for them, their total revenue last year was only down 27%! (pax revenue down 79%, cargo up 88%!). They still carry more pax than BR (just) and make 60% more cargo revenue than BR who were down total revenue 41% even though their cargo revenue was up 97%! CI even made a profit Q320. Will see when the numbers come out for the whole year.

747classic

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:53 pm

MD10-10, N10060, just before the last trip (?) PDX-VCV at Jan 25th with callsign FX9032, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N10 ... /KPDX/KVCV

N10060, PDX, Jan 25th 2021

Original uploaded by planesguy at flickr, see : https://www.flickr.com/photos/planesguy/50874641458/
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:00 pm

A trio of Allegiant MD-83s departed BHM today for BYH (N419NV, N423NV, N881GA), where they'll get C checks before getting converted. Steve Giordano from Jet Test (fascinating guy and company, if you haven't read up on it) flew one of the flights (https://twitter.com/JTTsteve/status/135 ... 60067?s=20). These aircraft have sat at BHM for the last two years, and Stewart Industries has been working on prepping them for these flights for the last few weeks. They sat pretty much untouched at BHM for quite some time. Good to see these Mad Dogs getting a second life as freighters at somewhere TBD.

TUGMASTER

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:08 am

gdavis003 wrote:
A trio of Allegiant MD-83s departed BHM today for BYH (N419NV, N423NV, N881GA), where they'll get C checks before getting converted. Steve Giordano from Jet Test (fascinating guy and company, if you haven't read up on it) flew one of the flights (https://twitter.com/JTTsteve/status/135 ... 60067?s=20). These aircraft have sat at BHM for the last two years, and Stewart Industries has been working on prepping them for these flights for the last few weeks. They sat pretty much untouched at BHM for quite some time. Good to see these Mad Dogs getting a second life as freighters at somewhere TBD.

For anybody interested, here’s a link to Steve Giordano.
https://airwaysmag.com/interview/high-f ... hotos/?amp

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:31 am

I spent a few minutes being creative since NOBODY seems to have a photo of N904AR post-paint, as asserted by Skyliners. I'm not sure I follow why it would go all the way to Xiamen just for paint, or that it would take over a month to paint, or that someone would paint it before doing the next-level check that she maybe needs, but whatever.

Found a photo, allegedly from 5 days ago, on Weibo. Assuming that it's not some pernicious disinformation, she seems to be painted similarly to the way 903AR is now, except that both sides apparently display the name of the airline, not the "Fish" stuff in Chinese characters on one side, and the box logo remains on the tail instead of the "fish company" logo that is on 903AR's tail.

Kinda-boring, but will probably look better 6 years from now when Sky Lease next thinks about painting her. I liked the Centurion livery they had kept, but the colors weren't durable.

jayrobinson32

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:42 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Got videos and photos of two of them departing! Great to see them moving again!

https://youtu.be/ot7JgdVemEQ
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:23 am

jayrobinson32 wrote:
/

Great job! I enjoyed them!

I had assumed that if they're being converted, they're getting the AEI conversion, and I thought that AEI usually uses Commercial Jet for the touch work, at DHN or MIA. So it's interesting that they're getting a C-check at BYH. I know that ART is there, but their specialty is disassembly and parts harvesting (and storage and de-storage), as well as component repair.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:48 am

wjcandee wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:
/

I had assumed that if they're being converted, they're getting the AEI conversion, and I thought that AEI usually uses Commercial Jet for the touch work, at DHN or MIA. So it's interesting that they're getting a C-check at BYH. I know that ART is there, but their specialty is disassembly and parts harvesting (and storage and de-storage), as well as component repair.

One of Steve’s tweets mentioned that they’ll get C Checks at ART and then head down to MIA for the AEI conversion. They’ve got one more to bring up to BYH tomorrow

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:50 am

gdavis003 wrote:
One of Steve’s tweets mentioned that they’ll get C Checks at ART and then head down to MIA for the AEI conversion. They’ve got one more to bring up to BYH tomorrow

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!

gdavis003
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:53 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Of course. Steve’s business is fascinating to me, very unique. He’s done a few podcasts that I’d highly recommend, for those who aren’t familiar. Everyone involved in this thread would definitely enjoy it. The one that he did with the guys from FR24 was awesome (https://open.spotify.com/episode/1CZJm5 ... uxieFaOFFQ)

jayrobinson32

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 am

wjcandee wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:
/

Thanks! I actually just was messaging with him and they are going to be sending out another one tomorrow morning as well!
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 am

jayrobinson32 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:
/

Thanks! I actually just was messaging with him and they are going to be sending out another one tomorrow morning as well!

Cool! Next time you talk to him, find out who has been doing the ferry-to-IAI (TLV and MEX) work for the Amazon-owned ex-Westjet and ex-DL 767-300s. I figured it might be JetTest when they stopped in PHL on the way to TLV from Florida, but they didn't use a JetTest callsign, so it may well not have been. When CAM was converting them and leasing them to Amazon, CAM handled the ferry. But Amazon is managing these conversions in-house, and they don't have an airline, so they have to hire a company to do it.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 am

Watching our MIA 727s, I see that KII has taken N726CK off of Air Horse One duty and put it back on cargo. They sent it to MIA today from OSC. Presumably, N725CK is ready to go back to being Air Horse One. Meanwhile, N729CK headed from MIA to OSC, presumably for repairs/maint. So they've got one running down there.

Over at IFL, N281FL did a turn to SJU today from MIA, while N215WE has been sitting in MIA the last 2 days. N216WE is still being cared for at PTK.

On the DC8 scene, OB-2058-P did a turn to Managua today, while N873SJ continues to sit at MIA. Hopefully, we'll see her get some missions soon.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:10 am

WGN as of 1/30/21:

411SN SHV since 1/28
412SN RSW since 1/28
415JN Flying for FedEx, still. MEM since yesterday.
512JN RSW since early-morning today.
513SN Flying Asia pretty-regularly. ICN for about 12 hours.
581JN Flying for FedEx. Landed LAX about an hour ago from MEM.
799JN SHV since 1/28. Was flying Fedex.
542KD SHV since 1/13. So over 2 weeks.
543JN Flew military for a while, then to ICN 2 days ago, presumably will do China-US next.
545JN Flying for FedEx. Currently enroute HNL from MEM.
546JN Not operational. SHV since 5/23/20. (But was flying a lot before then.)
804SN Not operational. SHV Black Hole since 6/29/18.

SO, of the MD11 Fleet: 3 at SHV, 2 at RSW, 3 for FedEx, 1 Asia, 1 military/Asia. And two not operational. 5 flying. 5 in maint. 2 non-operational.

344KD Flying Asia consistently. Just landed ICN nonstop from ORD.
356KD CAE since 12/20/20. Still not flying after smacking the light pole.
258SN (Factory F): Flying Asia consistently. Landed ANC from ICN about an hour ago.

SO, the new 744F is doing good things. But they still haven't fixed one of their 3 744s.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 am

National's 744s as of 1/30/21:

919CA Flying Asia. Enroute XMN from ANC, after 12 hours in ANC.
952CA Flying Asia. At PVG for about 13 hours, from ANC. Sat in ANC 14 hours ex-LCK.
756CA Flying Asia. Arrived ANC from CVG about an hour ago.
702CA Flying Asia Eastbound. Doing the RFD-MUC-KGF**-NRT thing discussed here earlier.
729CA Flying Military. Currently in the Sandbox.

**"Niiice!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRGXq4t9wY4

CX747

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:33 am

wjcandee wrote:
National's 744s as of 1/30/21:

919CA Flying Asia. Enroute XMN from ANC, after 12 hours in ANC.
952CA Flying Asia. At PVG for about 13 hours, from ANC. Sat in ANC 14 hours ex-LCK.
756CA Flying Asia. Arrived ANC from CVG about an hour ago.
702CA Flying Asia Eastbound. Doing the RFD-MUC-KGF**-NRT thing discussed here earlier.
729CA Flying Military. Currently in the Sandbox.

**"Niiice!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRGXq4t9wY4

The lore of Kazakhstan continues to attract 747s from all operators. Maybe National can stop into NQZ and visit our friends from Aerotranscargo.

Thanks for putting together the list of where everything is at or what it has been doing.

QF744ER

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 am

Swiss03 wrote:
CX747 wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
hi all,

thanks for any insight

what I have heard from inside BA is that this is exactly the reason that while the G-BNL* and early G-CIV* birds have been scrapped most of the later G-CIV* and all of the G-BYG* (Excluding the preserved example) aircraft have been stored and not scrapped, maybe there is still some hope

On that note, is there any reason that China southern and China airlines have temporarily parked 2 (their only 2) and 3 747-400F respectively for the time being?

Just did some very quick research on the BA -BYG* batch of 744’s they’re all in the low-mid 90k hours, interestingly most were flying with a mix of engines RB211-524GH and RB211-524GH-T engines under the wings.

747classic

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 am

QF744ER wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Just did some very quick research on the BA -BYG* batch of 744’s they’re all in the low-mid 90k hours, interestingly most were flying with a mix of engines RB211-524GH and RB211-524GH-T engines under the wings.

The RB211 engines at the BA fleet has also been discussed here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1455857
An ex-BA 744 with low hours/cycles and powered by RB211-524G/H-T engines could be a conversion candidate, but preferred are the GE and PW powered 744's with low hours/cycles.
I would prefer a late built 744combi (SCD and aft main deck cargo floor already installed) with GE engines, example : last built 744combi, PH-BFY, 2002 built, 92.034 hrs / 10587 cycles, stored at MHV, a spring chicken :)
Note : The costs of a combi to -BDSF conversion are almost half of a full pax to -BDSF conversion.

QF744ER

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Believe a second former KLM 744M (PH-BFV) will also be heading to TLV from AMS in the near future.

CX747

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:27 pm

QF744ER wrote:
Believe a second former KLM 744M (PH-BFV) will also be heading to TLV from AMS in the near future.

747-400P2F IAI Firing Sequence

#1: G-VXLG ex-Virgin Atlantic "Ruby Tuesday"
#2: PH-BFW ex KLM "Shanghai/City of Shanghai"

Possible
#3: PH-BFV ex KLM "Vancouver/City of Vancouver"

Everyone in the firing sequence is GE powered.

Thinking out loud here but somebody like Aerotranscargo or Aerostan should be looking at the ex-BA or LH birds. One "configuration", good maintenance records and plenty of life left. One could increase their fleet size or make a leap tech wise from JT9Ds to CF-6s or RB-211s.

Spacepope

Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:20 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:
/

And of course our friend at Skyliner is reporting these are getting ferried for scrapping. The do tend to jump the gun on the demise of these pretty often.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 pm

Spacepope wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

And of course our friend at Skyliner is reporting these are getting ferried for scrapping. The do tend to jump the gun on the demise of these pretty often.

Yeah, I noticed that. Not sure why they would think it's for scrap, unless they're just not thinking it through, which seems to be the case. They're scrapping MDs at BHM left and right, so there would be no reason to ferry it for scrap. They'll all be getting a second life, which is great to see. Sounds like there's 10-15 more that will follow suit in the next few months. This group of 4 seems to be destined for conversion, but some of the others might be flying passengers in their next life.

Navion

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:15 pm

wjcandee wrote:
I spent a few minutes being creative since NOBODY seems to have a photo of N904AR post-paint, as asserted by Skyliners. I'm not sure I follow why it would go all the way to Xiamen just for paint, or that it would take over a month to paint, or that someone would paint it before doing the next-level check that she maybe needs, but whatever.

Found a photo, allegedly from 5 days ago, on Weibo. Assuming that it's not some pernicious disinformation, she seems to be painted similarly to the way 903AR is now, except that both sides apparently display the name of the airline, not the "Fish" stuff in Chinese characters on one side, and the box logo remains on the tail instead of the "fish company" logo that is on 903AR's tail.

Kinda-boring, but will probably look better 6 years from now when Sky Lease next thinks about painting her. I liked the Centurion livery they had kept, but the colors weren't durable.

A buddy of mine who flies for Skylease and has quite a few hours in 904AR told me in early December that 904 would be heading to China for a D-Check for 6 weeks right after the Christmas rush. Hope that helps.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:55 pm

Navion wrote:
A buddy of mine who flies for Skylease and has quite a few hours in 904AR told me in early December that 904 would be heading to China for a D-Check for 6 weeks right after the Christmas rush. Hope that helps.

Thank you!!!

That's a huge piece of information, and makes a lot more sense than ferrying something across the Pacific just to get painted. They'll most-likely take a load home with them coming back, but still. Sounds like ST Xiamen got through the sheet metal work pretty-quickly if they were painting her so quickly, but that's good, and she's not that old.

Thank you again for sharing that.

HPRamper

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Just a quick check and to my surprise, FX is still plugging along with contract aircraft here in February.
N319CM VCP-MEM-VCP tomorrow morning
N581JN LAX-MEM-ONT tomorrow morning
N545JN MEM-ONT Thursday morning
N799JN MEM-ONT Wednesday morning
N415JN HNL-MEM tonight

I don't know how long this CAM operation to South America is going to last or if there's a quiet deal for FX to purchase 319CM, FX certainly has enough 767s on property to be operating that one. But it appears Western Global has found themselves a nice source of income for the moment flying steadily for FX.

MO11

Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:25 pm

HPRamper wrote:
N319CM VCP-MEM-VCP tomorrow morning

I don't know how long this CAM operation to South America is going to last or if there's a quiet deal for FX to purchase 319CM, FX certainly has enough 767s on property to be operating that one.

N319CM is Amerijet. N396CM had been operating for FedEx since December 1, replaced by N319CM on January 17.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Spacepope wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Looks like Skyliner has corrected the information. Sent them a note about it, and they adjusted accordingly. I expect we will see a few more of these move within the next few weeks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos