Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CX747

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:39 pm

The resident Airliners.net DC-8Fs continue to roost in MIA. OB-2059-P conducted a round trip on 1/30/21 from Miami to San Salvador. N873SJ has continued to rest in the Miami sunshine since coming North. Even if she sits, she is at least in a visible spot, so to speak, and not hidden away in Peru!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Spacepope

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

One of Steve’s tweets mentioned that they’ll get C Checks at ART and then head down to MIA for the AEI conversion. They’ve got one more to bring up to BYH tomorrow

And of course our friend at Skyliner is reporting these are getting ferried for scrapping. The do tend to jump the gun on the demise of these pretty often.

Looks like Skyliner has corrected the information. Sent them a note about it, and they adjusted accordingly. I expect we will see a few more of these move within the next few weeks

Do we know who the customer for these are? Usually VTM or the other uual auto parts suspects only do one at a time, this seems like a pretty big move.
The last of the famous international playboys

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Spacepope wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

And of course our friend at Skyliner is reporting these are getting ferried for scrapping. The do tend to jump the gun on the demise of these pretty often.

Looks like Skyliner has corrected the information. Sent them a note about it, and they adjusted accordingly. I expect we will see a few more of these move within the next few weeks

Do we know who the customer for these are? Usually VTM or the other uual auto parts suspects only do one at a time, this seems like a pretty big move.

I was messaging with Steve, and he was not totally sure. He said that he had heard rumors of Venezuela, but he had quoted some to China and Tenerife. Jet Test won't operate to China these days though, restrictions make it quite difficult. He did suggest that some could continue on as pax as well, but he's not even totally sure what the situation is after they get c-checked in Blytheville.

I'm going to guess it won't be for Everts/Aeronaves because of what you mentioned. Aeronaves has a few in conversion right now at DHN, and they have more feedstock that they've already bought up.

wjcandee

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:05 pm

HPRamper wrote:
But it appears Western Global has found themselves a nice source of income for the moment flying steadily for FX.

Could Amerijet and WGN be flying USPS work subcontracted through FedEx? I know that that's what AJT was doing previously. Otherwise, it seems like it would be a FedEx scope clause violation now that it's February. (I know how the UPS contract works; I don't know the FedEx.)

DLNZ

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:52 pm

Pleased to report that Aerostan's EX-47001 is operational once more after its #4 engine troubles in KHI. Has just touched down after operating KHI-CAI.

On another note, ER-BAC, a Terra Avia machine which had been resting in FRU since 28DEC20, yesterday operated to MFM. Really interested to see what she does next, as she flies in Flynas livery and isn't a P2F conversion. Some info on the Terra Avia website, she looks to be a bulk loaded main deck layout.

https://terraavia.net/our_fleet/

Does anyone know the relationship between Terra Avia and Aerotranscargo?

MO11

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 am

wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
But it appears Western Global has found themselves a nice source of income for the moment flying steadily for FX.

Could Amerijet and WGN be flying USPS work subcontracted through FedEx? I know that that's what AJT was doing previously. Otherwise, it seems like it would be a FedEx scope clause violation now that it's February. (I know how the UPS contract works; I don't know the FedEx.)

USPS wouldn't be flying to South America. The other thing that's odd to me is that the WGN domestic sectors are using the FDX callsign.

CX747

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:17 am

DLNZ wrote:
Pleased to report that Aerostan's EX-47001 is operational once more after its #4 engine troubles in KHI. Has just touched down after operating KHI-CAI.

On another note, ER-BAC, a Terra Avia machine which had been resting in FRU since 28DEC20, yesterday operated to MFM. Really interested to see what she does next, as she flies in Flynas livery and isn't a P2F conversion. Some info on the Terra Avia website, she looks to be a bulk loaded main deck layout.

https://terraavia.net/our_fleet/

Does anyone know the relationship between Terra Avia and Aerotranscargo?

Glad to see that both 747-200Fs for Aerostan are up and running. The small grouping of 747-200Fs operating in that part of the world is great to watch. I feel Aerostan is attempting to mirror Aerotranscargo's success, albeit with 747-200Fs. I personally think right now, both operations are just printing money. Flying fully loaded 747s, making great returns and dominating a market void of other competitors. One would hope the profits are being put back into the companies....I would love to see another 4+ 747-200Fs in Aerostan's fleet.

Ahh, Aerotranscargo...Only 11 months to next peak and tracking!

ER-BAC is actually not a Terra Avia machine but a Aerotranscargo 747-400 jet. It is a "paxargo" (can I copyright that term?!?!?) jet and has been pulling "cargo" style runs for a while now. It spent a short time away from Terra Avia, when it flew to CGK for maintenance in December of last year. Upon completion of the wrench turning, it once again went back to work for Terra Avia via lease from Aerotranscargo. It operates in a helter/skelter fashion. Basically go where told to, when told to do so and then sit until someone says to go again. It could fly like mad or sit for what seems to be eternity. Prior to having all its seats taken out, it flew for Terra Avia or Flynas depending upon who was in season to move pilgrims or vacationers.

Terra Avia also operates ER-BAG, which is another Aerotranscargo 747-400, albeit a converted freighter. In its past life it wore the Purple & Gold of Thai Airways. Aerotranscargo, resurrected the jet in the last 8+ months and put it into service, again via lease to Terra Avia. BAG operates more on a scheduled basis but still far from a "scheduled" life, ala a full on Aerotranscargo 747 like ER-BAM, aka "Roll Tide".

So, at this time Terra Avia's fleet is 100% from Aerotranscargo.

I believe some of the symbiotic nature is due to Terra Avia having certain licenses pulled. They are basically operating via someone else's jets 100% of the time!

Aerotranscargo has in the past year or so attempted to up its "game". All training is now done in the UK.

https://ukaviation.news/aerotranscargo- ... ing/?amp=1
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

CX747

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:52 am

N705AA, our recently seen resurrected 727-200F has found a new home. The 727F, previously with Asia Pacific Airlines, now swears its allegiance to Astral Aviation. The jet currently sits in Barbados, awaiting its first move as part of Astral's fleet. It looks to be joining F-27s, a DC-9F, (2) 747-400Fs and a 767F leased from ATSG.

There was a previously operated Astral 727F (5Y-MWM) but that seems to have moved on.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:38 am

CX747 wrote:
N705AA, our recently seen resurrected 727-200F has found a new home. The 727F, previously with Asia Pacific Airlines, now swears its allegiance to Astral Aviation. The jet currently sits in Barbados, awaiting its first move as part of Astral's fleet. It looks to be joining F-27s, a DC-9F, (2) 747-400Fs and a 767F leased from ATSG.

There was a previously operated Astral 727F (5Y-MWM) but that seems to have moved on.

Fantastic news!! I did some following of their 744s in the peak thread, and they were a lot of fun to watch. 1 was making Asia runs to and from LGG, and the other was doing extensive traveling across Africa, with some LGG stops as well. Some under Astral flight numbers (mainly the Africa flights), others under Air Atlanta numbers. Curious as to why it’s in Barbados now though, seems like an odd place for it to currently be, been there for a few weeks now.

DLNZ

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:09 am

gdavis003 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Fantastic news!! I did some following of their 744s in the peak thread, and they were a lot of fun to watch. 1 was making Asia runs to and from LGG, and the other was doing extensive traveling across Africa, with some LGG stops as well. Some under Astral flight numbers (mainly the Africa flights), others under Air Atlanta numbers. Curious as to why it’s in Barbados now though, seems like an odd place for it to currently be, been there for a few weeks now.

Really great to see another 727 being brought back to service. Great ship for the Caribbean, perhaps an outside chance it could go to Africa as Astral seem to do good business in that region.

To pick up on their brace of 744Fs, they are heavily utilised, both Air Atlanta Icelandic birds:
TF-AMU: Factory F, daily services ex-LGG to Africa, mainly NBO & LOS. She also had a month at the CGK MRO after 2020 peak.
TF-AMM: P2F convert. Daily services ex-LGG to a wonderfully diverse assortment of mainly African destinations.

Keen to keep an eye on these folks also to see how they develop.

As we go to air, Aerostan '01 has made a left turn, heading to Nigeria or perhaps Ghana.

DLNZ

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:31 am

CX747 wrote:
ER-BAC is actually not a Terra Avia machine but a Aerotranscargo 747-400 jet. It is a "paxargo" (can I copyright that term?!?!?) jet and has been pulling "cargo" style runs for a while now. It spent a short time away from Terra Avia, when it flew to CGK for maintenance in December of last year. Upon completion of the wrench turning, it once again went back to work for Terra Avia via lease from Aerotranscargo. It operates in a helter/skelter fashion. Basically go where told to, when told to do so and then sit until someone says to go again. It could fly like mad or sit for what seems to be eternity. Prior to having all its seats taken out, it flew for Terra Avia or Flynas depending upon who was in season to move pilgrims or vacationers.

Terra Avia also operates ER-BAG, which is another Aerotranscargo 747-400, albeit a converted freighter. In its past life it wore the Purple & Gold of Thai Airways. Aerotranscargo, resurrected the jet in the last 8+ months and put it into service, again via lease to Terra Avia. BAG operates more on a scheduled basis but still far from a "scheduled" life, ala a full on Aerotranscargo 747 like ER-BAM, aka "Roll Tide".

So, at this time Terra Avia's fleet is 100% from Aerotranscargo.

I believe some of the symbiotic nature is due to Terra Avia having certain licenses pulled. They are basically operating via someone else's jets 100% of the time!

Aerotranscargo has in the past year or so attempted to up its "game". All training is now done in the UK.

Many thanks for the excellent info on ATG. I follow ER-BAG in it's distinctive livery, and it seems to do a lot of work out of GYD. Perhaps some supplementary lift for Silkway, but pure conjecture.

Will be nice to see what BAC 'paxargo' gets up to, fresh out of maintenance and looking for work.

HPRamper

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:16 am

MO11 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
N319CM VCP-MEM-VCP tomorrow morning

I don't know how long this CAM operation to South America is going to last or if there's a quiet deal for FX to purchase 319CM, FX certainly has enough 767s on property to be operating that one.

N319CM is Amerijet. N396CM had been operating for FedEx since December 1, replaced by N319CM on January 17.

Thanks for the correction! And this makes it even more interesting to me, that FX would rather cycle through operators for this route.

wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

These WGN flights are all operating like "normal" FX flights; that is, a mix of USPS and FX volume. Even during peak that was how they were operating. Maybe FX is feeling them out for a purchase? Sure they might be crummy but an extra MD11 is an extra MD11 especially when it can be had on the cheap - and they seem to be the most reliable tails in the fleet.

Swiss03

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:24 am

As part of their re-organization of their cargo division, Qatar Airways has announced the sale of all A330-200F factory freighters still in inventory.
this does seem a bit daft in the current climate but it may turn out to be the source of the recently announced Air Belgium cargo fleet

Source: airwaysmag.com/airlines/qatar-retires-a330f-fleet/

747classic

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:55 pm

UPS Qty 4 2020 results :
“Our financial performance in the fourth quarter exceeded our expectations, and I thank all UPSers for their extraordinary efforts to deliver industry-leading service through the holidays.” said Carol Tomé, UPS chief executive officer.
For exact numbers : https://www.pressroom.ups.com/pressroom ... 855033-104

Did I also hear : "Keep sending new aircraft " :roll: Thx David Abney or was it only "good for the investers "
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Spacepope

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:29 pm

Here's a fun little bit of an outsized cargo haul by a ADB AN-124 last week. 4 very early production F-16s (with 78-XXX serials) were shipped From TLV via KEF to Phoenix-Mesa after they were purchased by a Canadian aggressor company, https://theaviationist.com/2021/02/02/t ... air-force/

Speaking of AN-124, is VDA beginning to unground its fleet yet?

UPS757Pilot

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 pm

WGN N356KD just left CAE! Finally free!

gdavis003
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 pm

UPS757Pilot wrote:

One does have to wonder what the repair that they made was. I'm guessing there's a new winglet on it, based on how long it's been there and that it's flying to Wrightstown, NJ right now, meaning it's about to go on a military run. If there was not a winglet on there, I would expect it to ferry to RSW or SHV from CAE, but it's not.

tofen

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:38 pm

CX747 wrote:

Just an interesting little tidbit to add here: Caerdav, the ATO with whom AeroTrans has contracted their pilot training, has non other than Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame as it's chairman.
Maybe our Moldovan friends should lobby to get a private gig to celebrate when training's completed!
Dickinson himself used to pilot an B747, least from Air Atlanta Icelandic, as a "tour bus" a couple of years ago.

Spacepope

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
UPS757Pilot wrote:

One does have to wonder what the repair that they made was. I'm guessing there's a new winglet on it, based on how long it's been there and that it's flying to Wrightstown, NJ right now, meaning it's about to go on a military run. If there was not a winglet on there, I would expect it to ferry to RSW or SHV from CAE, but it's not.

The reporting at the time was there was a bit more damage to the wingtip structure inboard of that lopped off winglet, so based on time there in repairs, attaching a new one would be trivial.

wjcandee

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:55 pm

tofen wrote:
Caerdav, the ATO with whom AeroTrans has contracted their pilot training, has non other than Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame as it's chairman.

Great tidbit! Dickinson was an airline captain for Astraeus as a "real job" even while continuing to be a member of Iron Maiden, and continued in roles in the airline biz after Astraeus folded, starting a company called Cardiff Aviation. Some of his safety videos have been widely-distributed.

wjcandee

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:55 pm

N888LT is back on Aloha Cargo duty!

This 757 freighter, operated by Asia Pacific Airlines, previously ran HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL for Aloha Cargo. Until Peak that is, when ATI stepped in with a 767-300. Given that Aloha still doesn't have ETOPS, and thus hasn't taken delivery of its second dry-leased 767-300 from CAM, ATI continues to operate Aloha's first one, N399CM. The aircraft that ATI was using on the HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL route is now being prepared for dry-lease to Amazon, and so wasn't available after the end of January. So N888LT is back. She ran HNL-LAX-HNL today; we'll have to see whether she switches to the SEA route tomorrow.

I also thought we might, in the alternative, see Asia Pacific's N754CS on this route, but she's still in maintenance at Aviation Technical Services at MCI, for more than 2 months now.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:09 am

wjcandee wrote:
N888LT is back on Aloha Cargo duty!

This 757 freighter, operated by Asia Pacific Airlines, previously ran HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL for Aloha Cargo. Until Peak that is, when ATI stepped in with a 767-300. Given that Aloha still doesn't have ETOPS, and thus hasn't taken delivery of its second dry-leased 767-300 from CAM, ATI continues to operate Aloha's first one, N399CM. The aircraft that ATI was using on the HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL route is now being prepared for dry-lease to Amazon, and so wasn't available after the end of January. So N888LT is back. She ran HNL-LAX-HNL today; we'll have to see whether she switches to the SEA route tomorrow.

I also thought we might, in the alternative, see Asia Pacific's N754CS on this route, but she's still in maintenance at Aviation Technical Services at MCI, for more than 2 months now.

Looks like N757QM, another one of Asia Pacific’s 757s began the HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL circuit today and is at LAX now. Had a 72** flight number so guessing this is for Aloha. So, at the moment, they’ve got two of their three active frames running for Aloha. I’ll be interested to see how long that lasts. Both had been working out of GUM on normal Asia Pacific routes the last few weeks, so either there is substantially less demand in Micronesia at the moment or Asia Pacific is going to have to contact some work out to get those covered, as they’re rather essential routes for those islands. We shall see, but it is interesting to see them shift 2/3 757s over to Aloha ops.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 am

Our resident DC-8-73(F) did a MIA-GEO (Georgetown, Guyana)-MIA run today. Took Monday off, must have been feeling the ripple effects of the Nor'easter hundreds of miles away from sunny Miami. Sister ship still sits at MIA. Btw, anyone laid eyes on N873SJ in MIA yet? Haven't seen any pics

wjcandee

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:27 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like N757QM, another one of Asia Pacific’s 757s began the HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL circuit today and is at LAX now.

Good catch. The extra lift provided by the aircraft that I mentioned may just be to catch up on some cargo that didn't get to move when 399CM had some reliability issues last week. I guess we'll see.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like N757QM, another one of Asia Pacific’s 757s began the HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL circuit today and is at LAX now.

Good catch. The extra lift provided by the aircraft that I mentioned may just be to catch up on some cargo that didn't get to move when 399CM had some reliability issues last week. I guess we'll see.

Whoops, correction on that. 688SL is the one running the Aloha route, 757QM is still in Micronesia. Got my numbers mixed up. Will be interested to see whether they keep one on HNL-LAX-HNL and another on HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL or if it's just a catch up flight on the former.

wjcandee

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 am

Well, I see that Interjet West's solitary Part 125 727 got an assignment today, flying from OKC-YUM, and RDU-OKC before that. They can't do common carriage, so it's interesting to see the circumstances in which they can fly. In theory, they have been around about 5 years. They can't advertise because of the restrictions of Part 125, so they describe themselves on their president's LinkedIn page. Reeks of low-capitalization. But I guess if they get a little $$ flowing in, they can try to use that to upgrade from Part 125.

MO11

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Whoops, correction on that. 688SL is the one running the Aloha route, 757QM is still in Micronesia. Got my numbers mixed up. Will be interested to see whether they keep one on HNL-LAX-HNL and another on HNL-SEA-LAX-HNL or if it's just a catch up flight on the former.

And the schedule says that N754CS (now N922TS) was scheduled for a Guam trip this afternoon. Flightaware thinks it's going to leave MCI this AM.

Armadillo1

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:28 pm

MO11 wrote:
And the schedule says that N754CS (now N922TS) was scheduled for a Guam trip this afternoon. Flightaware thinks it's going to leave MCI this AM.

they renamed to old 727 tail number?

wjcandee

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm

MO11 wrote:
[And the schedule says that N754CS (now N922TS) was scheduled for a Guam trip this afternoon. Flightaware thinks it's going to leave MCI this AM.

Heckuva catch! A month from now, I would have been wondering why it was still at MCI.

wjcandee

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Looks like BOTH Asia Pacific 757s are still working for Aloha Cargo (see discussion above). Which is a good thing, because Aloha's ATI-operated N399CM did yet another diversion today, this one back to HNL. Seems like she needs some TLC, and maybe not at either end of her current route. Bad part is that ATI doesn't have a spare at the moment, so it's not like they could send 399CM to ILN for a couple of days to let the folks there have a go at her while ATI covers her with something else; they're going to have to get her fixed in LAX or HNL. There should be plenty of folks in both places who know how to work on 767s, of course. So if Asia Pacific is using that second 757 to help clear the backlog of service failures in the last ten days, they're gonna be around a while, I think.

MO11

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:45 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Looks like BOTH Asia Pacific 757s are still working for Aloha Cargo (see discussion above). Which is a good thing, because Aloha's ATI-operated N399CM did yet another diversion today, this one back to HNL. Seems like she needs some TLC, and maybe not at either end of her current route. Bad part is that ATI doesn't have a spare at the moment, so it's not like they could send 399CM to ILN for a couple of days to let the folks there have a go at her while ATI covers her with something else; they're going to have to get her fixed in LAX or HNL. There should be plenty of folks in both places who know how to work on 767s, of course. So if Asia Pacific is using that second 757 to help clear the backlog of service failures in the last ten days, they're gonna be around a while, I think.

And with N757QM on the MGE schedule in Tokyo, looks like MGE300 HNL-GUM this afternoon will not be covered.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Hmm. That's odd. FlightAware is showing N399CM took off at 4:42 AM from HNL and landed at 4:43 AM under flight number 8C7002. It landed in HNL at 4:43 AM from LAX as 8C7001. I guess the HNL-HNL as 8C7002 was just a glitch in that case, as 8C7002 would have been the return back to LAX from HNL. However, at that time, it was in the air on its final approach into HNL as 8C7001. All very strange, but seems to give hope that it wasn't an in air diversion or anything bad, just a tracking glitch maybe?

wjcandee

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Hmm. That's odd. FlightAware is showing N399CM took off at 4:42 AM from HNL and landed at 4:43 AM under flight number 8C7002. It landed in HNL at 4:43 AM from LAX as 8C7001. I guess the HNL-HNL as 8C7002 was just a glitch in that case, as 8C7002 would have been the return back to LAX from HNL. However, at that time, it was in the air on its final approach into HNL as 8C7001. All very strange, but seems to give hope that it wasn't an in air diversion or anything bad, just a tracking glitch maybe?

No, it's not "odd", it's just wrong. What you could have said is "Candee is an idiot." As you point out, what I thought was a "diversion" was just a blip where the aircraft was likely taxiing. I would normally look at an apparent diversion to see the flight path, etc., but in this case I was in a hurry and reacted to seeing the HNL-HNL, without pursuing it. That's because there have been several mechanical issues with 399CM recently, and I just assumed it was yet another. My bad. (Remember, Kids, what they say about assuming: in this case the only "ass" is "me".)

All that said, I can't believe that Aloha has so much post-Peak cargo that it suddenly needs a third bird between CONUS and Oahu (unless these are all Amazon returns from Christmas). So I'm still assuming that this is a temporary thing with the second Asia Pacific aircraft. But who knows.

**PS: gdavis003, thank you so much for being so nice about my error. I like the way you did that. Lots of a.nutters would have been jerks about it. I like these threads we are in where people are actually nice to each other.

Spacepope

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:00 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

No, it's not "odd", it's just wrong. What you could have said is "Candee is an idiot." As you point out, what I thought was a "diversion" was just a blip where the aircraft was likely taxiing. I would normally look at an apparent diversion to see the flight path, etc., but in this case I was in a hurry and reacted to seeing the HNL-HNL, without pursuing it. That's because there have been several mechanical issues with 399CM recently, and I just assumed it was yet another. My bad. (Remember, Kids, what they say about assuming: in this case the only "ass" is "me".)

All that said, I can't believe that Aloha has so much post-Peak cargo that it suddenly needs a third bird between CONUS and Oahu (unless these are all Amazon returns from Christmas). So I'm still assuming that this is a temporary thing with the second Asia Pacific aircraft. But who knows.

**PS: gdavis003, thank you so much for being so nice about my error. I like the way you did that. Lots of a.nutters would have been jerks about it. I like these threads we are in where people are actually nice to each other.

Question re the CONUS-HI volume on dedicated freighters: How much of this might be due to reduced belly volume from lack of PAX traffic?

jbs2886

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 am

10 more orders for 737 conversions...orders keep rolling in.

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/aei-to-pr ... solutions/

wjcandee

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:12 am

Back on Asia Pacific, it looks like N922TS (formerly N754CS) never left MCI today. Not unusual with post-maintenance flights, of course. I guess we'll see what transpires tomorrow.

Spacepope

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 am

jbs2886 wrote:

Ballpark numbers (because so many conversion houses are involved) but how many 737NG freighters have been ordered and delivered? Total orders have to be up near 100 by now.

wjcandee

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:30 am

Spacepope wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Ballpark numbers (because so many conversion houses are involved) but how many 737NG freighters have been ordered and delivered? Total orders have to be up near 100 by now.

AEI certainly has lined up its conversion houses and is keeping them busy. The sucky thing about the BCF is that Boeing is so top-heavy with administrative expense and such that they can't do a project in the US and make money on it when charging a competitive price, so they ship everything to China. AEI started out keeping it close to home, using Commercial Jet in MIA and DHN, and KF Aerospace in Canada. But once they got orders that they couldn't fill with these providers, off they went to STAECO and HAECO Xiamen, who will likely do a great job. Still, that's a lot of touch work locations to supervise... IAI tries to do as much as they can in TLV, obviously, but they have a home run with MexicanaMRO these days as a touch labor provider, and lucky they do.

wjcandee

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 am

Speaking of HAECO Xiamen, our friendly, now-repainted 744F N904AR has just returned from a test flight from/to XMN as we speak. Looking forward to seeing her back in business for Sky Lease shortly. HAECO Xiamen got it done in less than 6 weeks.

CX747

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:36 am

Spacepope wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Orders were around 134 last September on the 737NGP2F program. I have always liked you inference of the 737-800P2F being a modern day 727-200F.

Our resident DC-8F did a round trip MIA-MGA today. Sister ship N873SJ continues to hold down their spots on the MIA cargo ramp.

National's N729CA got to see the other P&W powered 747s N756CA and N702CA today at ANC. 756 and 702 continued onward but 729 continues to await its next move.

jbs2886

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:14 am

CX747 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Orders were around 134 last September on the 737NGP2F program. I have always liked you inference of the 737-800P2F being a modern day 727-200F.

Our resident DC-8F did a round trip MIA-MGA today. Sister ship N873SJ continues to hold down their spots on the MIA cargo ramp.

National's N729CA got to see the other P&W powered 747s N756CA and N702CA today at ANC. 756 and 702 continued onward but 729 continues to await its next move.

Is that 134 for all 737 conversions or just one program?

gdavis003
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 am

wjcandee wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Definitely surprising to see so much volume to Oahu the last few weeks. Wonder if it’s all Amazon related. Could also be critical volume to the island if there’s delays with ships due to covid? Thinking out loud, but the loss of belly capacity might also play a role, as spacepope noted.

Of course. We could use a little less nastiness and vitriol on this site (thankfully none on this thread) and in this world in general.

TUGMASTER

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 am

Longtail Aviation 744 VQ-BWT doing LHR-MST as LGT7707.... any ideas ....?

And went out empty....

CX747

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:39 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
CX747 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Just the 737NG conversion program.

jbs2886

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:43 pm

CX747 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

There are two-three 737NG conversion programs: Boeing, and AEI and IAI (I think this is a partnership b/w the two). I'm pretty sure Boeing's BCF is 134 alone (https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/ ... 42.article). AEI and IAI have 100+, too.

CX747

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:56 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
CX747 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

There are two-three 737NG conversion programs: Boeing, and AEI and IAI (I think this is a partnership b/w the two). I'm pretty sure Boeing's BCF is 134 alone (https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/ ... 42.article). AEI and IAI have many, too.

Yes, thank you for clarifying as I misspoke on the overall conversion program. I was only putting out the number for Boeing's BCF program and not the AEI and IAI programs.

Spacepope

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:54 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
CX747 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

There are two-three 737NG conversion programs: Boeing, and AEI and IAI (I think this is a partnership b/w the two). I'm pretty sure Boeing's BCF is 134 alone (https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospace/ ... 42.article). AEI and IAI have 100+, too.

That's an eye wateringly large number for a conversion program that really seems to be just hitting its stride.

Probably explains all the 73Gs headed to scrap lately, since the 736s are all but gone they are the next parts sources since the 738s of the same vintage are getting second lives.

Jetport

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 pm

A300's getting new flight computers, not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Looks like UPS plans to be the last A300 operator.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ups-give ... 00599.html

Navion

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:53 pm

An update on Sky Lease N904AR, I spoke with my buddy and he said the quick D check was due to the impending Chinese New Year. The MRO assigned extra workers to expedite the process otherwise the bird would have sat there for another 2 weeks. Sky Lease had 10 guys of their own on site to watch every aspect of the rebuild. He sent me a text photo of the bird and it looks good. They've picked up a trip from China to Singapore, then on to Osaka, Monterrey and back to MIA. I'm looking forward to seeing her new paint here in South Florida.

wjcandee

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:44 am

Navion wrote:
An update on Sky Lease N904AR, I spoke with my buddy and he said the quick D check was due to the impending Chinese New Year. The MRO assigned extra workers to expedite the process otherwise the bird would have sat there for another 2 weeks. Sky Lease had 10 guys of their own on site to watch every aspect of the rebuild. He sent me a text photo of the bird and it looks good. They've picked up a trip from China to Singapore, then on to Osaka, Monterrey and back to MIA. I'm looking forward to seeing her new paint here in South Florida.

That's great! Thanks for the info. One thing that some foreign MROs do have is the ability to surge labor without some of the cost impediments that doing so (i.e. inefficiency) would create here. But getting that aircraft back 2 weeks faster than usual should be a moneymaker.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos